Three test positive?

11,120 Views | 88 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Blueblood
OdontoBear66
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Big C said:

Go!Bears said:

Big C said:

Go!Bears said:

burritos said:

That has a population of over 300 million people?
The EU is a good referent. Essentially a very weak federal system - similar to the way this played out in the US given the absence of national leadership. The difference is cultural. We have a toxic political culture and an underlying problematic social culture (extraordinary individualism). The combination has been disastrous. Our population size was not the problem. It's us.

"Hey, we TRIED that social distancing stuff for over TWO MONTHS! If that's not enough, then screw it."
Tongue in cheek, I know, but we didn't and that is the problem. Some places did, some didn't and because our states can't close their borders to each other (as EU states did) it was essentially the same as not doing it. If the entire country had shut down for two months at the same time, we could be where the EU is.

Tongue in cheek, indeed. WAY too many people in this country never quite figured that there is a difference between "cautiously reopening with social distance" and "cool, it's over, we can party again". Others only had the self-discipline to social distance for a few months.
Pretty much sez it all. Ain't fun, but necessary.
SpartanBear20
Meanwhile among the general student population:

Quote:

We have seen the number of University Health Services positive cases increase from a running total of 23 since the start of the pandemic, to 47 new cases in just one week. The majority of these new cases stem from a series of recent parties connected to the CalGreek system, which included students both within the CalGreek community and others, and led to some secondary spread within households and within other smaller gatherings. Generally, these infections are directly related to social events where students have not followed basic safety measures such as physical distancing, wearing face coverings, limiting event size, and gathering outside.
BearPatrol
At some point you have to let people choose the risk level they are willing to live with... people risked it to protest and they risked it to go to Trump rallies... both sides of the spectrum... I'm ok with people making their choices and dealing with their consequences.
AunBear89
BearPatrol said:

At some point you have to let people choose the risk level they are willing to live with... people risked it to protest and they risked it to go to Trump rallies... both sides of the spectrum... I'm ok with people making their choices and dealing with their consequences.

But the problem is that the consequences don't end with the risk taker. The risk taker gets the virus, remains asymptomatic, continues to take similar risks, and ends up infecting others who haven't taken the same risks.

This was always a recipe for disaster: flattening the curve required trusting our fellow citizens to do the right thing. Clearly that is too much to ask of those that need haircuts and want to party.
Blueblood
AunBear89 said:

BearPatrol said:

But the problem is that the consequences don't end with the risk taker. The risk taker gets the virus, remains asymptomatic, continues to take similar risks, and ends up infecting others who haven't taken the same risks.

This was always a recipe for disaster: flattening the curve required trusting our fellow citizens to do the right thing. Clearly that is too much to ask of those that need haircuts and want to party.

"Outstanding post when one was really warranted!"
71Bear
BearPatrol said:

Any time you taking a serious risk that may affect others, you include those individuals in the serious risk you have chosen to take.

Now if you want to stay at home and drink yourself into a state of alcohol poisoning, have at it. But if you chose to run across a street against a red light where there is traffic, that is another story. You not only endanger your life but the life of the person who will hit you.

You wearing a mask does little for you but it creates a safer environment for everyone with whom you come in contact. At some point, Americans need to wake up and understand their personal liberty extends only as far as their front door. Beyond that point, they are interacting with the community at large and that requires behavior that does not put others at risk.
mbBear
BearPatrol said:

Congrats-you qualify to be Governor of Florida.
Masks were extremely prevalent during the protests compared to the Trump rallies, so you are making a political point (I guess) but not a scientific one.
Here in the NJ/Philly area, we have less people with opinion like yours, and people are not driven by political statements; you go to Walmart, and people with NRA stickers on their truck are getting out wearing masks, just like those with Biden2020 stickers.. They understand that your risk is not yours alone, and in the NJ county where I am spending a lot of my summer months, the infection rate from last week to this week is down to 2% increase.
JSC 76
Big C said:

Go!Bears said:

burritos said:

That has a population of over 300 million people?
The EU is a good referent. Essentially a very weak federal system - similar to the way this played out in the US given the absence of national leadership. The difference is cultural. We have a toxic political culture and an underlying problematic social culture (extraordinary individualism). The combination has been disastrous. Our population size was not the problem. It's us.

"Hey, we TRIED that social distancing stuff for over TWO MONTHS! If that's not enough, then screw it."
As JFK said, "We will pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship....as long as it doesn't mean we can't go to Applebee's for a few months. If that's the case, all bets are off."
burritos
AunBear89 said:

BearPatrol said:

We aren't avoiding this disaster. It either unfolds slowly or quickly. The point of the shut down is to prevent hospital overrun.
HearstMining
So, do anti-maskers feel the same way about the prohibition of public defecation - that it's an infringement on their rights/freedom? Laws against public defecation don't exist to protect the defecator, they exist to protect the overall health of the public. The same is true of mask-wearing - which is a response to a specific pandemic, not a perpetual requirement. Why is this so hard to understand?
82gradDLSdad
HearstMining said:

So, do anti-maskers feel the same way about the prohibition of public defecation - that it's an infringement on their rights/freedom? Laws against public defecation don't exist to protect the defecator, they exist to protect the overall health of the public. The same is true of mask-wearing - which is a response to a specific pandemic, not a perpetual requirement. Why is this so hard to understand?

Good point. I would think that most (every?) law is to protect you from me and vice versa. And in doing so a bit of personal freedom is removed. I'm amazed at friends and family who don't get this. Maybe I'm misremembering my philosophy of law lessons from 40 years ago.
GMP
HearstMining said:

Nice. Reminds me of a line from an old song by The Vandals, a punk band:

"America stands for freedom, but if you think you're free try walking into a deli and urinating on the cheese."

Civil Bear
mbBear said:

BearPatrol said:

Masks were extremely prevalent during the protests compared to the Trump rallies, so you are making a political point (I guess) but not a scientific one.
Here in the NJ/Philly area, we have less people with opinion like yours, and people are not driven by political statements; you go to Walmart, and people with NRA stickers on their truck are getting out wearing masks, just like those with Biden2020 stickers.. They understand that your risk is not yours alone, and in the NJ county where I am spending a lot of my summer months, the infection rate from last week to this week is down to 2% increase.

I must have missed where BP mentioned anything about masks.
JSC 76
It did *not have to be this way*. We didn't necessarily have to live in an environment where a public health decision is politicized. It's as if we have a president who says "Only communists wash their hands after going to the bathroom!" and 40% of the country believes him and does likewise. It's nuts.

burritos
JSC 76 said:

It did *not have to be this way*. We didn't necessarily have to live in an environment where a public health decision is politicized. It's as if we have a president who says "Only communists wash their hands after going to the bathroom!" and 40% of the country believes him and does likewise. It's nuts.

Four turnings generation theory: Seems like we are in the unraveling phase(if not entering the crisis cycle). The prophets and nomads can't get their **** together and we're basically waiting for the hero generation(Millennials) to clean this all up when it hits the fan.
mbBear
Civil Bear said:

mbBear said:

BearPatrol said:

"Choosing the risk level you are comfortable with:" That doesn't include those not comfortable with masks?
Civil Bear
mbBear said:

Civil Bear said:

mbBear said:

BearPatrol said:

"Choosing the risk level you are comfortable with:" That doesn't include those not comfortable with masks?
Perhaps, but PB seemed to be referring to people choosing to attend protests and rallies, not whether they were choosing to wear masks. That said, by choosing to attend those events you need to consider that others in attendance won't be wearing masks.
Bobodeluxe
And then there were eight

"We have it totally under control. ... It's going to be just fine."
smh
thanks Bobo..
eight hits from 125 athletes, and so soon, is nowhere near a passing grade # bad covid, baad
muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
Blueblood
Bobodeluxe said:

And then there were eight

"We have it totally under control. ... It's going to be just fine."
You do realize it is important to see if the 5 new cases infected other players meaning its a waiting game for probably another two weeks. More importantly, were all 5 in the same sport, i.e., football players, or other sports? I hope not. If the total stays around less than or at10 in say a week and a half, then Cal may have it under control. But, if the number increases to13 or so then watch out. I suspect then the total to go over 20 by early August. Fingers crossed!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.