Fun Cal connected summer read

2,841 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by smh
bipolarbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?

"The Last Flight" by Julie Clark, a best selling suspenseful summer read, which (surprise) takes place primarily in Berkeley. The campus and surrounds are accurately and even lovingly depicted. Familiar landmarks are all there including Memorial Stadium (even inside the Stadium Club) As well as Haas Pavilion. I read it in one day. Not "War and Peace" but a nice S.I. P. diversion. It turns out the author worked in the Cal Athlectic dept. for a while.
smh
thanks for the headsup bipbear. placed a hold this morning from the county library, expected on the shelves in a few weeks. know anything about her first novel "ones we choose"?

unrelated, about 10 20 years ago we shared a few words at a bear backers event in Memorial, ahead of Coach Holmoe's last season. how times change.. # knocks wood
muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
bipolarbear
No, but I will check it out.
I read The Last Flight on my Kindle$10.50+/-.
Big C
My kids and I just got a Kindle; maybe that will be our (my) first Kindle book!

(hardcover also available on Amazon for $18.96)
smh
Big C said:

If we had a kid (s)he could teach me (again) how to use the one two we've already got. But on a scale of dimes to donuts library walkin always wins. [ property taxes not included ]
Quote:

'A dime to a donut' is a pseudo betting term, meaning that it didn't originate with actual betting involving donuts, but just as a pleasant-sounding alliterative phrase which indicated short odds - dimes are valuable, but donuts aren't.

A dime to a donut is used to mean uneven odds. This phrase was used in betting and would signify uneven odds where dimes were worth more than donuts.
# Go Donuts
muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
bipolarbear
smh said:

Big C said:

If we had a kid (s)he could teach me (again) how to use the one two we've already got. But on a scale of dimes to donuts the library always wins. [ property taxes not included ]
Quote:

'A dime to a donut' is a pseudo betting term, meaning that it didn't originate with actual betting involving donuts, but just as a pleasant-sounding alliterative phrase which indicated short odds - dimes are valuable, but donuts aren't.

A dime to a donut is used to mean uneven odds. This phrase was used in betting and would signify uneven odds where dimes were worth more than donuts.
# Go Donuts
The author even says 'Go Bears' two separate times in her author's notes.
NYCGOBEARS
Thanks for the rec. I just downloaded it for free as an audiobook from Amazon Audible. They'll give you one freebie to try it out.
Blueblood
NYCGOBEARS said:

Thanks for the rec. I just downloaded it for free as an audiobook from Amazon Audible. They'll give you one freebie to try it out.

"I don't read no good but
I lub freebies!"

"
! "
"anaa la 'aqra jayidaan walakun
'ana lwb mjany! "

GoCal80
The setting made me curious about the background of the author:

"Born and raised in Santa Monica, California, Julie Clark grew up reading books on the beach while everyone else surfed. After attending college at University of the Pacific, and a brief stint working in the athletic department at University of California, Berkeley, she returned home to Santa Monica to teach. She now lives there with her two young sons and a golden doodle with poor impulse control. The Ones We Choose is her first novel."

YamhillBear
I really enjoyed reading "Telegraph Avenue" by Michael Chabon. Very little direct Cal-related matter, but definite and real Oakland and East Bay setting. And Chabon is a great writer in my opinion. Definitely knows the area and the vibe. One thing I hate is when a book is set in a place where the author might have researched various things but obviously doesn't *KNOW* the little things like local names. (One was a book set in Houston that kept referring to "Houston International Airport", a name which nobody there would use.)
smh
bipolarbear said:

The author even says 'Go Bears' two separate times in her author's notes
finally got ahold of Last Flight from the local library, thanks bipolarbear, a compelling read / fascinating time lines.

minor gripes: one of cal band's alleged halftime tunes didn't ring a bell (forget which), struggled keeping track of so many character names, and the <spoiler> abrupt ending. 1 1/2 of two thumbs.
bipolarbear
I considered this just a guilty pleasure and was surprised to see it listed by a BookBub editor as one of her favorite books of the year.
Mama Bear
Loved Julie's book. Ben Truman (Track & Field) and I get a mention in the Acknowledgments. Should mention the book takes on spouse abuse (and drugs) head on which might be disturbing to some. Definitely one of my top ten books of the year. She's at work on a new one.
smh
Blueblood said:

"anaa la 'aqra jayidaan walakun
'ana lwb mjany! "
according to google translate (?arabic) in engles reads..
> I don't read two good things however I am free lube!
smh
Mama Bear said:

Loved Julie's book. Ben Truman (Track & Field) and I get a mention in the Acknowledgments. Should mention the book takes on spouse abuse (and drugs) head on which might be disturbing to some. Definitely one of my top ten books of the year. She's at work on a new one.
you've got TEN? spill, rarely visiting cybears v.i.p.
BAMSPhD
Don't forget "Earth Abides", which was written by a Cal professor.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_Abides
smh
BAMSPhD said:

Don't forget "Earth Abides", which was written by a Cal professor.
Thanks Dr, familiar with the classic from short pants days. Doubling down from Lebowski [spoilers]
> The famous line, "The Dude abides," is a reference to the 1949 sci-fi novel by American writer George R. Stewart, entitled "Earth Abides." In the book, society tries to keep its technology going in a post-apocalyptic world before finally giving up and, in the end, accepting a primitive, simple and fulfilling existence. The book was inspired by the 1912 Jack London short story,"The Scarlet Plague."

onto ye olde reading list..
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/21970/21970-h/21970-h.htm

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.