As a ball carrier, after being tackled, is it better to hand the ball back to the...

1,844 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by kirklandblue
burritos
How long do you want to ignore this user?
referee? As the tacklee can you save the ref some time and effort by spotting the ball for them, accurately of course. Or is handing the ball back the proper etiquette which might garner subconscious favor for the respectful/polite player? Cause if you spot the ball for them accurately, that's less work for them. And instead of doing the flagrant "superman stretch your hand out with the ball" which begs for an obligatory negative readjustment, a player can do a slight of hand under his trunk to gain maybe 2-3 inches/per play. Mutliplied 30-50 times a game could be advantageous in a game of inches.
joe amos yaks
Is this a trick question?
burritos
joe amos yaks said:

Is this a trick question?
No, it's serious.
FuzzyWuzzy
IMO the best practice, in order, is:
1. Leave the ball on the ground where you are lying.
2. Hand the ball to the ref.

If you hand the ball to the ref, wait to make sure he has grabbed it. If he's looking at his watch or another ref and doesn't grab it, it will bounce away. His foot is on the spot and if he has to move his foot to retrieve the ball, he will be mildly annoyed. If you make him do that repeatedly, he will be really annoyed. That is also why you do not toss the ball to the ref. If he's looking away or drops it, he has to move his spot-foot and eventually you will earn his ire. Best to just leave the ball on the ground and let the ref pick it up and move it where he wants it.

As a ballcarrier, you are unlikely to gain a few inches by moving the ball after you're down. You don't think the ref knows that trick? At best you're just going to annoy the ref. He is going to spot the ball where he thinks it was when your knee or elbow hit the ground.

Where I do see a team gaining an advantage is when the center takes his position on the LOS. Some centers seem to take their stance a few inches closer to the LOS than the spot of the ball would warrant. Then he grabs the football and subtly moves it forward a few inches. Everyone on offense lines up based where the center has taken his stance so effectively he has moved the LOS forward a few inches before the snap.

ColoradoBear
leave it on the ground?

A polite host always just leaves the ball on the ground for their guests.

joe amos yaks
>"1. Leave the ball on the ground where you are lying.
...2. Hand the ball to the ref..."<

I agree.
Leave the ball where downed.
"Hand it" to the official after play has been whistled dead and call has been signaled ... TD, FC, INT, possession, etc ... or the official has made a request for the ball.

Don't toss, chuck, spin, dribble, throw, spike, stretch and place, stuff, or do other stupid and aggravating clown stuff with the ball.
UrsineMaximus
If you play in an up tempo offense, find the nearest ref and HAND them the ball or go directly to the Umpire at or near the center of the field and hand him/her the ball. You don't want to throw it because an errant pass or a sausage fingered ref may result in the ball bouncing aimlessly on the ground. You want that ball set and the team at the LOS as quickly as possible. I've never understood why so many players, on up tempo teams, aren't more careful about getting the refs the ball in the most expeditious way possible. I would actually make this a coaching moment from the beginning of Fall Camp.

Should you play in a possession type offense a la Cal, be courteous but not overly so. So you could feign handing the ball to the ref but alligator arm the hand off thereby resulting in the ball rolling on the ground. Or while getting up from the ground you could "inadvertently kick" the ball out of bounds. If the clock is running you want to use up as much of the clock as possible while still allowing for your offense to "operate".

Wait, what was the question again, I forgot??
rkt88edmo
UrsineMaximus said:

Wait, what was the question again, I forgot??
Feigner, quit feigning!

(I like your answer best)
BearPatrol
Always hand it to the ref... can't be confused for a fumble or a live ball.
kirklandblue
Leave it on the ground and get back to the huddle. When it's handed to the official, so many times he's trying to keep one eye on where the spot is and the other on taking or catching the ball. Make it easy and just leave it. Occasionally after the play is dead you see players looking around and around for an official and can't seem to find anyone; they're busy, just leave it on the ground and they'll get it. Also, I'm curious what refs say about this during the game, if anything, as in basketball if you grab the ball after it goes through the hoop the ref will either warn or call an infraction.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.