Ivy League scraps all Fall 2020 sports

1,090 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by calumnus
Bears2thDoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-07-08/ivy-league-becomes-first-in-division-i-to-cancel-sports-semester
71Bear
What I found interesting about the announcement is there was no indication whether they will play football in the spring or simply move on to fall 2021. Time will tell......

JollyBear
I read that no final decision had been made about moving to the spring, but that it looked highly unlikely due to logistics. Plus, it was mentioned that football is a revenue loser for the Ivy League, so that also weighs against squeezing in a spring season.
BearSD
JollyBear said:

I read that no final decision had been made about moving to the spring, but that it looked highly unlikely due to logistics. Plus, it was mentioned that football is a revenue loser for the Ivy League, so that also weighs against squeezing in a spring season.
Football is the most expensive sport by far. It's a money loser for every school outside the "Power Five" and their big TV contracts.
BearPatrol
Easy for schools like that to do this, they don't lose player or revenue by waiting for spring. The Power 5 and some group of 5 are the ones who need to play for revenue purposes.
Rushinbear
Who will notice?
calumnus
BearSD said:

JollyBear said:

Football is the most expensive sport by far. It's a money loser for every school outside the "Power Five" and their big TV contracts.

It is a big money loser because of the huge salaries for college football coaches and the cost of scholarships (full Ivy League tuition). None of that is going away.

That said, in this environment any revenues would likely barely cover travel expenses if at all.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.