Big 10 moves to conference-only schedule for fall sports

3,311 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by mbBear
Fyght4Cal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
Fyght4Cal
*moving toward
okaydo
Man, I hope this doesn't happen to the Pac-12. I was so looking forward to Cal playing in Allegiant Stadium.

75bear
How great would it be if the SEC was finally forced to play a full slate of Conference games, dropping all the cream puff opponents, and then they don't have any undefeated or 1 loss teams.

This is so enticing, so I'm sure it will never happen.
71Bear
okaydo said:

Man, I hope this doesn't happen to the Pac-12. I was so looking forward to Cal playing in Allegiant Stadium.

I think that ship has already sailed. It just a matter of an official announcement...

Of course, now that UO isn't hosting Ohio State this year, maybe Cal can schedule a home-and-home with the Ducks.
71Bear
75bear said:

How great would it be if the SEC was finally forced to play a full slate of Conference games, dropping all the cream puff opponents, and then they don't have any undefeated or 1 loss teams.

Kinda hard when you have 14 teams in the conference......
wifeisafurd
75bear said:

It is very likely to be announced. That does not mean it will happen. If games are pushed back to spring, the SEC will be back to facing OOC weaklings.
Strykur
71Bear said:

75bear said:

A 13-game schedule is manageable for those guys.
71Bear
Strykur said:

71Bear said:

75bear said:

Plus the SEC title game and two CFP games for the champ? Yikes!!
Strykur
71Bear said:

Strykur said:

71Bear said:

75bear said:

Plus the SEC title game and two CFP games for the champ? Yikes!!
1 extra game? I think those fanbases will have no problems there.
71Bear
Fyght4Cal said:

*moving toward
Done deal...

Two options now (IMO).....

All other conferences fall in line with the B10.
No fall sports at all.

I no longer see spring football as an option.
ColoradoBear
golden sloth
Would that mean conference games get added, or we play only 9? I dont see any reason to not play a full round robin of 11.

Pac-12 plays full round robin, big-10 plays 10 then a conference championship game, do the winners still play in the rose bowl? I can dig it.
oskidunker
Wa wa wa. Speculation for months. No announcement. Worthless.
Go Bears!
BearSD
golden sloth said:

Would that mean conference games get added, or we play only 9? I dont see any reason to not play a full round robin of 11.

Pac-12 plays full round robin, big-10 plays 10 then a conference championship game, do the winners still play in the rose bowl? I can dig it.

Scheduling 10 or 11 games seems too ambitious. Have to leave some open weeks for makeup games when early season games are canceled or postponed.
Cal84
I think a retreat to the "10 conference games plan" will become common. Still think it is unlikely that we'll get a complete season (even a 10 game regular season) done. Just look at Major League Baseball. If they can't restart, the odds for CFB are low. At this point a school like Notre Dame is probably hoping for a canceled/Spring season plan.
Fyght4Cal
71Bear said:

75bear said:

With them, I'd accept conference 9 games. Baby steps.
Strykur
golden sloth said:

Going from 9 to 11 is not exactly a huge shift, so why wouldn't we do it?
71Bear
oskidunker said:

Wa wa wa. Speculation for months. No announcement. Worthless.
delete
71Bear
ColoradoBear said:

We will know by the end of this week. Odds are that every major conference will go to conference-only.

Note: Notre Dame would then slide into a full ACC scheduling model for this year only.

BYU would be the big loser. Who knows what they will do.....
ColoradoBear
71Bear said:

ColoradoBear said:

We will know by the end of this week. Odds are that every major conference will go to conference-only.

Note: Notre Dame would then slide into a full ACC scheduling model for this year only.

BYU would be the big loser. Who knows what they will do.....

Use tithing money to cover shortfall? They might actually save $$ without a year of sports.
OdontoBear66
golden sloth said:

The reason may be that more time is needed to start the season (a bit late by normal standards) to get all COVID things in force.
Richmondbear2
Pac12/B10 winners will not play in the Rose Bowl unless they both finish top 4
Richmondbear2
71Bear
Richmondbear2 said:

Yep. It is a CFP game this year. If all five P5 conference play a conference-only schedule, it will be very interesting to see how they determine the four finalists.
Strykur
71Bear said:

Richmondbear2 said:

Yep. It is a CFP game this year. If all five P5 conference play a conference-only schedule, it will be very interesting to see how they determine the four finalists.
The whole Playoff could get ad hoc adjustments this year, given that bowls won't have major logistics to deal with most likely.
wifeisafurd
Strykur said:

71Bear said:

75bear said:

I think you will see all conferences indicate they plan to play 10 games. There are several articles quoting Big 10 AD's that they are shooting for that. Look for later season start and some open dates so thing can be moved around in case of spikes or site specific issues. Right now the NCAA requires a 6 week practice, and there are logistical issues and other things to be worked out and the fact that some schools have cancelled voluntary practices and are now quarantining players (e.g., TOSU). Counting backwards two months or so, assume mid to late September start. Also know that right now, this is all aspirational if you talk to ADs, and could come crashing down with new SIP orders,
smh
golden sloth said:

um, covid?
muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
KoreAmBear
The P12 will still announce a 12 game schedule playing 3 P12 teams twice. Knowing our luck we will play Oregon, UW and USC twice.
metabear
<Cal football fan clears throat>
Folks....THERE WILL BE NO COLLEGE FOOTBALL THIS FALL!
Anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional. Look, like everyone else, I miss the world that has left us. But any realistic look at the rampaging extent of this virus and all of the missteps that now have to be overcome would conclude it will not happen. We need our kids to go back to their schools and they can't now until we shut it all down again and do it right. That is going to include sporting events. In addition, you're going to tell me you want unpaid college kids in danger on empty campuses so they can provide a tv experience for you? So they can provide money for the Uni? What are the ethics of that?

It's not magically going away!
wifeisafurd
KoreAmBear said:

The P12 will still announce a 12 game schedule playing 3 P12 teams twice. Knowing our luck we will play Oregon, UW and USC twice.
Source?
71Bear
wifeisafurd said:

KoreAmBear said:

Source?
He is kidding, WIAF......
Sebastabear
wifeisafurd said:

KoreAmBear said:

Source?

Cal84
>Note: Notre Dame would then slide into a full ACC scheduling model for this year only.

That is not a given. It certainly is possible. But if the ACC wants leverage this would be the time to get it.

As the P12 is still regionally in pretty good shape disease wise (excepting Arizona), the P12 does have some interesting strategies available to it. Not that Larry would be capable of diagnosing any of these opportunities. But among them would be to get teams with fairly low coronavirus cases to start their practices. Get the six week clock ticking and get some games in with the healthy (relatively) teams. In an environment with few other teams able to start practice that would give the P12 games on TV with no competition. And realistically perhaps the only games played this year.
71Bear
Cal84 said:

>Note: Notre Dame would then slide into a full ACC scheduling model for this year only.

That is not a given. It certainly is possible. But if the ACC wants leverage this would be the time to get it.

As the P12 is still regionally in pretty good shape disease wise (excepting Arizona), the P12 does have some interesting strategies available to it. Not that Larry would be capable of diagnosing any of these opportunities. But among them would be to get teams with fairly low coronavirus cases to start their practices. Get the six week clock ticking and get some games in with the healthy (relatively) teams. In an environment with few other teams able to start practice that would give the P12 games on TV with no competition. And realistically perhaps the only games played this year.

ND is a full member of the ACC in every sport except football. The Irish have been a member of the ACC since 2012. There is no need for leverage when you are already partners.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.