California JCs move Fall Sports to Soring

1,326 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Blueblood
StillABear1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The CCCAA has announced that all fall sports will move to Jan 2021 start of practice with games from Feb-Apr on a 30% reduced schedule and no state playoffs. Hoops will also conform to this time frame. Traditional spring sports will start practice in Mar and then have games from Apr-Jun, again with reduced schedule and no state playoffs.
CALiforniALUM
StillABear1 said:

The CCCAA has announced that all fall sports will move to Jan 2021 start of practice with games from Feb-Apr on a 30% reduced schedule and no state playoffs. Hoops will also conform to this time frame. Traditional spring sports will start practice in Mar and then have games from Apr-Jun, again with reduced schedule and no state playoffs.

No more early entrants? How will recruiting be impacted for the following season?
71Bear
CALiforniALUM said:

StillABear1 said:

No more early entrants? How will recruiting be impacted for the following season?
Not a big deal... They will either skip football at the JC level and enroll in Jan at the four year university of their choice or they wIll participate in spring football at the JC and enroll in the fall.

Of course, the unknown is what happens if four year universities switch to the spring. That will have a huge impact on recruiting both JCs and HSs, their eligibility clock and scholarship limitations.
CALiforniALUM
Thanks 71Bear! I don't know much about the process, but was wondering how players and recruiters will assess the risk of bringing in a player in January so they can participate in spring and fall camps rather than have them stay at their JC and essentially play a season right before their first post transfer season. JC guys are supposed to be more of a plug and play kind of player and are not intended to ride the pine. The flip side is that recruiters will have to make a determination about each player's skills and ability based on presumably only one year of JC tape if they would prefer to bring them in earlier rather than later. That was my thinking.

I agree that if Div I moved to spring then nothing will be normal.

What a mess.
71Bear
CALiforniALUM said:

Thanks 71Bear! I don't know much about the process, but was wondering how players and recruiters will assess the risk of bringing in a player in January so they can participate in spring and fall camps rather than have them stay at their JC and essentially play a season right before their first post transfer season. JC guys are supposed to be more of a plug and play kind of player and are not intended to ride the pine. The flip side is that recruiters will have to make a determination about each player's skills and ability based on presumably only one year of JC tape if they would prefer to bring them in earlier rather than later. That was my thinking.

What a mess.
There was an interesting article on The Athletic regarding this topic.

The downside for players - no games in the Fall means no opportunity to impress coaches from four year universities. And, of course, we still don't know about how recruiting will be handled in the Fall. No on-campus visits, no current game film, no opportunities to get to know the recruit, make recruitment very problematic.

The upside - if a JC player comes out in December, this will be like a redshirt year for him giving him 3 in 3 rather than 2 in 3 had he played this fall (assuming he is a true sophomore in the upcoming season).

Blueblood
71Bear said:

CALiforniALUM said:

What a mess.
There was an interesting article on The Athletic regarding this topic.

The downside for players - no games in the Fall means no opportunity to impress coaches from four year universities. And, of course, we still don't know about how recruiting will be handled in the Fall. No on-campus visits, no current game film, no opportunities to get to know the recruit, make recruitment very problematic.

The upside - if a JC player comes out in December, this will be like a redshirt year for him giving him 3 in 3 rather than 2 in 3 had he played this fall (assuming he is a true sophomore in the upcoming season).

What theJUCO players should do in the above situation is...is...is.....they should study.....study....in order to meet he transfer requirements of the school that they wish to attend. In other words, they should force the issue.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.