Collin Morikawa Wins Workday Charity Open

2,166 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by ColoradoBear
bearsahead2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
In an exciting playoff with Justin Thomas Collin wins on 3rd extra hole. On the first hole of the playoff, Justin Thomas rolls in a 55 foot birdie putt only to have Collin roll in a 25 footer. JT 3 putts the 3rd extra hole to give Collin his 2nd PGA tournament win!
OdontoBear66
bearsahead2 said:

In an exciting playoff with Justin Thomas Collin wins on 3rd extra hole. On the first hole of the playoff, Justin Thomas rolls in a 55 foot birdie putt only to have Collin roll in a 25 footer. JT 3 putts the 3rd extra hole to give Collin his 2nd PGA tournament win!
Big time excitement. Gutsy win coming from 3 strokes back on the last 3 holes, then following a 50 foot birdie putt with his own 25 foot birdie putt on the first playoff hole. They halve the second both missing putts and then Collin lays it up 9 feet away on the par 4 tenth. Two putts for win as Thomas is stymied behind a tree on his drive and has to hit a course management shot. His only flinch all week long were in the last 10 holes in the third round.
DWM81
Collin's game is built to last...Solid iron game, good mental toughness, enough length to compete, improved putting. He is destined to be a top-25 type player and perhaps a future Ryder Cup participant...Cal Golf Great!

bearsahead2
OdontoBear, thanks for correcting my recap - I was on my club course playing .when the tournament ended and my partner and I were following on Yahoo Sports. We'd assumed JT must have missed his 2nd putt since he didn't finish the hole after Collin made par. We didn't know that he was stymied off his drive and had to lay up. Anyway, a great win for Collin - hoping he's in similar position this next week when they replay the course again for Jack Nicklaus' Memorial.
philbert
DWM81 said:

Collin's game is built to last...Solid iron game, good mental toughness, enough length to compete, improved putting. He is destined to be a top-25 type player and perhaps a future Ryder Cup participant...Cal Golf Great!

I was listening to it on Sirius XM and the analyst was saying he expected Collin to be vying for the #1 spot in the very near future.
Civil Bear
OdontoBear66 said:

bearsahead2 said:

Big time excitement. Gutsy win coming from 3 strokes back on the last 3 holes, then following a 50 foot birdie putt with his own 25 foot birdie putt on the first playoff hole. They halve the second both missing putts and then Collin lays it up 9 feet away on the par 4 tenth. Two putts for win as Thomas is stymied behind a tree on his drive and has to hit a course management shot. His only flinch all week long were in the last 10 holes in the third round.
That stretch and nearly missing the 2-footer and the end of regulation!

That was an amazing finish. I was thinking too much pink shirt when Thomas went 7 under over 7 holes to take a three-stroke lead with three to play.
75bear
Super exciting Final Round. Those 2 ridiculously long putts JT & CM made on the 1st playoff hole were truly amazing.

My favorite part was how every now and then the camera would show a glimpse of Morikawa with his yardage book either in hand or in his pocket and you could see the giant gold script Cal on the cover.
UrsineMaximus
A Golden Bear wins at the home of the Golden Bear!!

Hollywood could not have scripted that final round and sudden death any better.

Go Bears!!

p.s. how about a back-to-back at next week's Memorial.
bearister
Collin makes 7% of his 20 to 25 foot putts. JT put that trophy in the case after rolling in the 50+ footer....but then he had to give it back!
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
71Bear
75bear said:

Super exciting Final Round. Those 2 ridiculously long putts JT & CM made on the 1st playoff hole were truly amazing.

My favorite part was how every now and then the camera would show a glimpse of Morikawa with his yardage book either in hand or in his pocket and you could see the giant gold script Cal on the cover.
I guess you missed the Bear head cover in his bag.

Collin nearly pulled a "Colonial" on the last putt in regulation but he made up for it with his bomb on the first playoff hole. His iron play was stellar all week. It will be fun to watch him as he moves along in his career.
Top_Dog
What a fantastic playoff win for Morikawa! This was a great one to watch and I think there's likely more success headed his way. PGA tournaments are so much more interesting with Golden Bears on the leaderboard and I'm totally loving this success!
OdontoBear66
An added plus. The announcers have done their homework and they now know Collin (how could they not). But there was a ton of focus on him today as well as his history. A few weeks back I think the announcers asked the cameramen not to shoot Collin too much because they had little to say about him. Not this weekend. Congrats Collin. Wait until they link his Haas Biz School to the $3+M that he has made and how he should be able to invest for lifelong security.
bearister
"Fun fact: Morikawa is the first player since Tiger Woods to win twice on Tour before missing two cuts as a pro (he's only missed one). " Axios
bearister
71Bear said:

[
I guess you missed the Bear head cover in his bag.

"Let the Big Bear eat."

OdontoBear66
bearister said:

"Fun fact: Morikawa is the first player since Tiger Woods to win twice on Tour before missing two cuts as a pro (he's only missed one). " Axios
Bearister you bring up a good point and I think you are right. I am not sure if he missed a cut before his first victory and then went on the run of not missing a cut; then again missed one before this win. Not sure, and I think you are right.
philbert
OdontoBear66 said:

bearister said:

Bearister you bring up a good point and I think you are right. I am not sure if he missed a cut before his first victory and then went on the run of not missing a cut; then again missed one before this win. Not sure, and I think you are right.
He won before he missed his first cut two weekends ago.
BearGreg
Staff
Tiger Woods won 43 times before missing his 2nd cut.
wifeisafurd
BearGreg said:

Tiger Woods won 43 times before missing his 2nd cut.
Only 41 to go!
bearister
OdontoBear66 said:

bearister said:

Amanda Balionis raised the point in the post victory interview with Collin and then Axios stated it this morning. How can Amanda and the word "wrong" even be in the same sentence?*

*With the exception of "If lov'in you is wrong, I don't wannabe right," naturally.
71Bear
bearister said:

Another fun fact...

Morikawa will defend neither of the two titles he has won. The Barracuda was an "opposite" event. Since he is now playing in all the main events, he will not be playing in the Barracuda this year. As for the tournament he won yesterday, it was a one-time event that was put together hastily after the John Deere was cancelled this year. The John Deere will return next year.
Bear8
It may not be called "Barracuda," but doesn't the PGA Tour annually have a late summer tourney in Colorado that is based on that unusual scoring system, whose title escapes me?
ColoradoBear
Bear8 said:

It may not be called "Barracuda," but doesn't the PGA Tour annually have a late summer tourney in Colorado that is based on that unusual scoring system, whose title escapes me?

They haven't played the International since 2006....
Bear8
Since the same golf course will be played a second time in a row it will be fascinating to see how the big boys do this time around. There were plenty of big names who played lousy in the Workday event. Will they go into a higher gear since it's the Jack Nicklaus event?
ColoradoBear
Bear8 said:

Since the same golf course will be played a second time in a row it will be fascinating to see how the big boys do this time around. There were plenty of big names who played lousy in the Workday event. Will they go into a higher gear since it's the Jack Nicklaus event?

Quick blurb about changes to the golf course:

https://golf.com/travel/3-ways-muirfield-village-different-this-week/

Most notably they will dry the greens out to raise the speed from 11 to 13 on the stimpmeter.

Which then makes a lot of hole locations used last weekend unavailable.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.