Story Poster
Cal Football

Big Sacto LB Moses Oladejo Makes it 11 For Cal

July 19, 2020

6-3/240 3 star Conumnes Oaks linebacker Moses Oladejo became the 11th member of Cal’s 2021 class today with his commitment to Cal. 

“From the jump, when I came down to Cal’s Junior Day, I just felt like it was a great opportunity,” said Oladejo. “Cal’s a prestigious university that offers you so many opportunities in life. I’ve heard this from a lot of people but Cal’s not just a 4-year degree but a 40-year decision.  That’s something you can take with you your whole life. That’s a great stamp by your name. I wanted to take advantage of that opportunity and get a great start on life.”

Cal’s coaching expertise, particularly at his position with three current or former LB coaches and defensive coordinators in head coach Justin Wilcox and DC Peter Sirmon and co-DC Tim DeRuyter played a role in Oladejo’s decision, as well.

“That’s some great experience there,” said Oladejo. “You have the opportunity to gain knowledge from the best. They all have great experience and expertise. I’ve got to take advantage and get to work.”

Oladejo totalled 84 tackles, five sacks, six passes defended, four forced fumbles at a junior for 8-4 Consumnes Oaks. 

Count head coach Andrew Bettencourt a big fan of the future Bear.

“He’s a 16-year old kid who looks like he’s 23,” said Bettencourt. “Genetically, he’s a freak. And that’s come about really in the last year or so.

“Athletically what he possesses is long levers. That’s the kind of thing they search for at the next level. Things like extension. What he possesses athletically, he’s your multi-faceted athlete. He can play inside. He can play outside. He may even grow to be Chase Young-size at 6-5//260 and put his hand in the dirt. But what makes him different from kids his size, normally they’re playing d-end. They don’t have his hip movement or ability to change direction. So he’s using his lanes as an edge rusher, as a dropper to take away those angles. Where you have a slot receiver who can separate on speed, his change of direction ability, length and speed take that away.

“He’s a remarkable specimen and the sky’s the limit for him with him still learning his body. I got there last year and he was a 185-pound, lanky, skinny receiver. I’m 6’2 with 6’5 wing span. When I checked him with his 7-foot plus wingspan, I said, ‘Nope, no receiver for you. You’re going to linebacker and tight end.’ He trusted me and said he’d do what I asked. We put him on a weight program and told him what to eat. Our weight program is pretty extensive. So he just naturally started putting on mass and he kept his speed up.

“For his size, he runs really well. 235 pounds and he runs a 4.7, with 4.65 in his future. With that size and numbers, that’s a first three round NFL draft kid.”

Off the field, the Bears appear to be getting a gem, as well, with a 3.3 gpa and a quality student athlete as a person.

“Outside of athletic ability, you guys at Cal got an exceptional young man,” said Bettencourt. “He’s an incredible kid. ‘Yes sir, no sir.’ Walks up and shakes your hand whenever he sees you. You can’t put a measure on what that means to a program. That’s where schools like Cal have that standard of what they’re looking for in their players and for their university. It helps that he’s been there multiple times and he’s seen it and felt it.”

The Bears beat out Colorado, Arizona, Kansas and more for Oladejo’s services.

RATINGS:

Rivals: 3 Star, 5.5 Rating

247:  3 Star, 88 rating, 32nd rated OLB nationally

Other stories:

Eastside Catholic OT Will Reed on Why Cal Was the Right Fit

What the Conference-Only Schedule Could Look Like

Discussion from...

Big Sacto LB Moses Oladejo Makes it 11 For Cal

15,632 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by bonsallbear
NYCGOBEARS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is a great pickup for us. Oladejo has a very high ceiling.
PalyBear
A direct path to the QB has parted for Moses!

A great get. Welcome to the global Cal family. Go Bears!

LACalFan
Wander no more. Welcome to the promise land, Moses!
LACalFan
16!?!
Quote:

"He's a 16-year old kid who looks like he's 23," said Bettencourt. "Genetically, he's a freak. And that's come about really in the last year or so.

m2bear
This could be my favorite recruit of the class.

Welcome to the Cal family.

This is a 3 star that should really be a 4 star.
Bearly Clad
Welcome to the Bear Family Mr. Oldadejo! It's a great day for Bear Territory, but especially for you and your family!! Enjoy your big day, and I can't wait to see what you bring on the field!

Moses is a Bear!
BearNIt
Bearly Clad said:

Welcome to the Bear Family Mr. Oldadejo! It's a great day for Bear Territory, but especially for you and your family!! Enjoy your big day, and I can't wait to see what you bring on the field!

Moses is a Bear!

Moses, be the leader for Cal that your name says you can be. Welcome to the family young man looking forward to seeing what you have in store for us.
Goobear
Welcome to the Bears Moses. You made a great decision. Wishing you tons of success on and off the field.
Bubba_Bear84
Welcome to Cal Moses! I'm excited to see you make offensive coordinators miserable in the near future. Congrats on your decision.
Big C

Ya gotta love the remarks and descriptions from his coach. Welcome to Cal, Moses! Go Bears!
bonsallbear
Bearly Clad said:

Moses is a Bear!

Looks more like an Ewok
Golden One
LACalFan said:

16!?!
Quote:

"He's a 16-year old kid who looks like he's 23," said Bettencourt. "Genetically, he's a freak. And that's come about really in the last year or so.

I like freaks!
FireFighterBest
Great pickup!!! Welcome!
Rushinbear
NYCGOBEARS said:

This is a great pickup for us. Oladejo has a very high ceiling.
Oladejo is a rugged dude. Just barges through anything in his way. And, 3.3 in the classroom? Perfect fit for Cal. He knows what he's lookin' at. (And, I have to say it, forget his rating scores. I don't know what the hell those guys are lookin' at, but he is gonna be a top guy from Day One. Pick a number.).

Welcome, Moses. We are thrilled to have you with us. You will thrive here at Cal.
Bearly Clad
bonsallbear said:

Looks more like an Ewok
Well it is a teddy bear, but at 6-3 240 lbs Oladejo is full-grown Wookie sized; and a big-time talent to match!

A lot of us on here (with 6956bear leading the charge) have been excited about this commitment for a while. Moses is a high-ceiling baller who could play multiple positions at the next level.

He hasn't been playing LB long but already looks so polished and it feels like the whole Sacramento area has sky high expectations for him. And he's supposed to be a great person too, just all around the kind of player and person that you love to have apart of the program
Blueblood
I like this recruit. I wish that I would've been as mature as he is at 16 as evinced by his statement below.

"Cal's a prestigious university that offers you so many opportunities in life. I've heard this from a lot of people but Cal's not just a 4-year degree but a 40-year decision. That's something you can take with you your whole life. That's a great stamp by your name. I wanted to take advantage of that opportunity and get a great start on life."
calumnus
LACalFan said:

We must have a few Joshuas on the roster too? Just to make sure?
philbert
Welcome to Cal! I look forward to seeing you destroy QBs and RBs.
MoragaBear
Staff
calumnus said:

LACalFan said:

He's Moses 2.0. He'll take the Bears over the border, not just right up to it
Chapman_is_Gone
Sweet!
LACalFan
calumnus said:

LACalFan said:

Moses Oladejo, Joshua Drayden Isaiah Humphries and Elijah Hicks. We're just missing Prophet Brown.
89Bear
Great addition to the program and school. Wow!! When he gets used to his body, watch out!!!
calbear80
Moses, it is GREAT to have you as a Golden Bear!

At Cal, you will get a world class education (the 40 year part) while playing College Football at the highest level in order to be groomed for the NFL (the 10 year part) under the tutelage of some amazing coaches (the 4 year part).

Go Bears!
burritos

kirklandblue
I'm really liking this "40-year decision " theme we keep hearing from these talented recruits. Reflects the outstanding job being done by the coaching staff, emphasizing the lasting value of a Cal degree and let's the recruits make their own assessment vs many of the competing programs that just aren't as academically prestigious. Seems to be striking a chord more and more with them, an exciting trend!
Great to have you on board Moses, welcome!
sosheezy
Blueblood
speechless?
sosheezy
Blueblood said:

speechless?

Failed in posting a GIF!
Update: and learned how - thank you LACF!
LACalFan
bonsallbear
I meant no disrespect regarding that Ewok thing. You are the monster Ewok and will wreak havoc on opposing quarterbacks. Fearsome on the field and scholarly in the classroom.
91Cal
Welcome to the family! Go Bears!
heartofthebear
The Ten Commandments:

1. Thou shalt beat Furd
2. Thou shalt beat USC
3. Thou shalt recruit smart students
4. Thou shalt recruit great players
5. Thou shalt coach them up
6. Thou shalt field a ferocious defense
7. Thou shalt win the north division
8. Thou shalt win the conference
9. Thou shalt play for a national title
10. Thou shalt stay healthy

Good thing we have Moses.
Maybe we should schedule Notre Dame.
goldenjax
Great norcal pick up. Kid definitely would've shot up rankings from his athleticism alone at camps. Looking forward to seeing him ascend to his very high ceiling. Go Bears!
FuzzyWuzzy
Is it normal to have 11 commits this early in the cycle?
GivemTheAxe
LACalFan said:

16!?!
Quote:

16 and looks 23.
That's no big deal I know lots of people who are 66 but look like they are 73. ;-)
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.