Another shoe drops for 2020 fall football season

4,350 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by mbBear
wifeisafurd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cal has cancelled 2020 football season tickets, including club seating locations. Automatically become 2021 tickets unless you choose to donate. If you do either, you get certain benefits. You can also ask for a refund. It is not clear if 2021 could mean spring football in 2021.

If there is fall football with "a limited number of fans allowed" (and you believe Santa really exists for Cal fans), you can buy individual tickets based on your priority. Just reading the announcement, you get the sense that football is not happening this year - at least with fans.

The donation is tax deductible - with an qualification about asking your accountant. Hey you accountants?
heartofthebear
I don't think anyone is holding out to attend inside the stadium this season.
I am just hoping for any type of season.
And the news sounds like it is possible that it will happen, which is pretty miraculous in and of itself.

Everyone is watching MLB to see how things go and it does not look great but teams have played a full week.
The NBA had nobody test positive.

I think this next month will tell us a great deal about the chances of having any season at all.
I suppose they could further contract the season if things don't look good enough to start in late September but at some point the season is pointless because bowl and playoff teams will not be able to be distinguished.
JSC 76
Why is there nothing about this on the AD website? Why haven't i received a communication from them?
philbert
JSC 76 said:

Why is there nothing about this on the AD website? Why haven't i received a communication from them?
They've been sending out emails yesterday to all of the season ticket holders. You should get it eventually if you're a STH.
Cal84
In other Cal-ish news, the Cal Band cancelled its Fall Training Program where incoming members are taught formation marching. Instead they'll have a video orientation, presumably instructing new members on uniform procedures and other issues. There's not a real reason for the band to play at halftime for home games, and the once a season trip to play at an away game seems dead too for obvious reasons. Maybe they will have smaller groups play at rallies. But do you want to have rallies? That might be dead too.
JSC 76
philbert said:

JSC 76 said:

They've been sending out emails yesterday to all of the season ticket holders. You should get it eventually if you're a STH.
Thanks for the info.

Are they typing up letters one at a time, press Send, on to the next one? Haven't they heard of group distribution lists?

Cal89
Received notice yesterday, came here to see if there was discussion, but didn't see such. IMO, nicely done by Cal. For those who didn't receive it yet:

Dear Cal Family,

We hope this email finds you well during this pandemic.

First off, we want to thank you for your incredible support and loyalty to our Cal Football program throughout the years. Coming off a season in which we brought the Axe back to Berkeley and earned a victory in the Redbox Bowl, we saw a 91 percent renewal rate for season tickets our highest rate in at least 10 years so the excitement around the Bears is clearly evident. Again, thank you!

As we navigate through an unprecedented time in our history, we want to provide you with an update on tickets for the 2020 Cal Football season and offer clarity for this fall. While we don't have all the answers at this point, some decisions affecting the season have already occurred, such as the Pac-12 recently announcing a conference-only schedule for fall sports. The health and well-being of our student-athletes, staff and greater community remains our priority.

Given current state and local public health guidelines and uncertainty for how the season will unfold, we have made the difficult choice to cancel 2020 football season tickets.

All season-ticket members who purchased Cal Football Season Tickets have the following options to consider and help make a lasting impact on our student-athletes experience:

- Your entire 2020 season ticket and per-seat donation payment will automatically be credited to the 2021 season. No action is required for this option

- Convert your 2020 season ticket payment into a tax-deductible donation to the Cal Athletics Fund* by contacting

As a thank you for selecting one of the above options Cal Athletics will provide the following for every season-ticket account:

1) Three (3) extra priority points per seat. For priority points information, visit calathleticsfund.com/prioritypoints

2) 10% discount on 2021 Cal Football home game single-game ticket purchases.

3) An exclusive virtual event with the Cal Football coaching staff that will be announced at a later time.

If you would like to request a refund, please email us before Friday, September 4, 2020.

In the event that a limited number of spectators are allowed at Memorial Stadium this fall, Cal Athletics will offer single-game tickets. Cal Football season-ticket members will have priority access to an exclusive pre-sale before the general public. If you choose to apply your balance to the 2021 season the credit will be available to you to purchase single-game tickets should those become available this season.

We will continue to provide updates as we receive more information from the Pac-12, campus and City of Berkeley health officials.

Stay safe, and Go Bears.

Note, in order to post I needed to remove email addresses (got the "Your forum code is invalid." message).
Sig test...
MilleniaBear
I'm holding out hope to attend inside the stadium. Watching MLB I can tell they are not doing a good job on masks. Apparently mask wearing is optional. You can see guys talking in the dugout w/o any separation. And then they go into the air-conditioned club house w/o masks. Masks work. Social Distancing works.

Only allow 25% occupation in Memorial. Masks are required. Double the student section size. Require 3 empty seats between ticket blocks. Sell every other row. Limit bathroom occupation. Etc.
71Bear
MilleniaBear said:

I'm holding out hope to attend inside the stadium. Watching MLB I can tell they are not doing a good job on masks. Apparently mask wearing is optional. You can see guys talking in the dugout w/o any separation. And then they go into the air-conditioned club house w/o masks. Masks work. Social Distancing works.

Only allow 25% occupation in Memorial. Masks are required. Double the student section size. Require 3 empty seats between ticket blocks. Sell every other row. Limit bathroom occupation. Etc.
Based on a number of comments made by posters here, you have a looooong way to go to convince me that Cal fans are any different than the general populous regarding safety precautions. In other words, all the rules you implement will be ignored the first minute of the first game.

If they do play, no fans is the only option....
heartofthebear
MilleniaBear said:

How are you going to wear a mask while eating a hot dog?
Apparently all football fans have to eat before going in and have to do so 6 feet away from others.
I don't think that is going to be complied with at all.
oskidunker
I never eat in the stadium. Eat before.
Go Bears!
Big C
71Bear said:

MilleniaBear said:

Based on a number of comments made by posters here, you have a looooong way to go to convince me that Cal fans are any different than the general populous regarding safety precautions. In other words, all the rules you implement will be ignored the first minute of the first game.

Wait, what about Cal Exceptionalism?
71Bear
Big C said:

71Bear said:

MilleniaBear said:

Wait, what about Cal Exceptionalism?
Never confuse Cal Grad with Cal Undergrad.......
mbBear
MilleniaBear said:

My uneducated opinion is that MLB's issues are outside of the stadium, and what contact they have. I don't think Cal will be much different: if they stay safe as a group, it could hold together. If one or two go off to a giant Frat Party (no offense to Frats meant), then that's where it falls apart.
Again, a reminder to all about NBA/NHL: they are seeing no one outside of the bubble, period.
BearSD
mbBear said:

Again, a reminder to all about NBA/NHL: they are seeing no one outside of the bubble, period.
NBA will reportedly spend a total of $150 million on its bubble by the time the Finals are completed.
CalWSportsFan
This is a disturbing read. I really do think thoughts of fall college football may be premature:
JSC 76
Just got an email from Chancellor Christ that fall classes will be 100% online.
Players are submitting demands.
Let's face reality, guys & gals: we're not going to have football this year.
Bobodeluxe
JSC 76 said:

Just got an email from Chancellor Christ that fall classes will be 100% online.
Players are submitting demands.
Let's face reality, guys & gals: we're not going to have football this year.
Deep state talk.
pingpong2
MilleniaBear said:

Do you honestly think fans will comply once they get inside?
Bobodeluxe
pingpong2 said:

MilleniaBear said:

Do you honestly think fans will comply once they get inside?
Perhaps Cal could ask the Greeks to monitor behavior?
mbBear
CalWSportsFan said:

This is a disturbing read. I really do think thoughts of fall college football may be premature:
Oh come on...how many (non-scientists) have told us that teens/young adults can't really catch it, and if the did it would be mild right???! This must be some exaggeration of a left wing conspiracy....
OH, and also, he was willing to risk football injury, this is the same and also not that much worse than the flu right??
Yes, sarcasm....
GoCal80
mbBear said:

CalWSportsFan said:

Oh come on...how many (non-scientists) have told us that teens/young adults can't really catch it, and if the did it would be mild right???! This must be some exaggeration of a left wing conspiracy....
OH, and also, he was willing to risk football injury, this is the same and also not that much worse than the flu right??
Yes, sarcasm....
Two high risk groups for having serious complications from COVID-19 are African Americans and obese people. African Americans make up almost 50% of D1 college football players. I don't quite know how to classify offensive linemen, but they are large people and I can't help but wonder if they might be at a higher risk - pure speculation on this latter point. I'm a huge college football fan and loyal Golden Bear football fan since 1976, but think that with all the unknowns, risks and all else that is going on now, it would be reckless to go forward with college football this year. Let's use this year to tackle this pandemic, reduce the prevalence of the virus in the population and hope for a safe, effective and widely available vaccine sometime next year.
mbBear
GoCal80 said:

mbBear said:

CalWSportsFan said:

Yes, sarcasm....
Two high risk groups for having serious complications from COVID-19 are African Americans and obese people. African Americans make up almost 50% of D1 college football players. I don't quite know how to classify offensive linemen, but they are large people and I can't help but wonder if they might be at a higher risk - pure speculation on this latter point. I'm a huge college football fan and loyal Golden Bear football fan since 1976, but think that with all the unknowns, risks and all else that is going on now, it would be reckless to go forward with college football this year. Let's use this year to tackle this pandemic, reduce the prevalence of the virus in the population and hope for a safe, effective and widely available vaccine sometime next year.
You aren't wrong IMO.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.