USC Football Players Send Appeal to Governor's Office

3,665 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Goobear
MaxBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Kedon Slovis leads the way for the USC football team in an attempt to persuade Governor Newsom to get the Pac-12 season started
golden sloth
Well, I disagree Slovis' claim that other schools are playing football safely. Texas tech has had 75 players test positive over the last 3 months, LSU's coach has admitted that 'most' of his team has had the disease. Five schools postponed games due to an outbreak of the disease. This is not what I would classify as 'safe'.
ColoradoBear
Would the state ultimately be preventing play, or is it the county health departments? (Is the NFL variance on a state or country level?)

OR is it university and their lawyers who don't want to be held responsible via a large monetary judgement should something bad happen?
71Bear
ColoradoBear said:

Would the state ultimately be preventing play, or is it the county health departments?

Since counties are permitted to invoke more stringent guidelines than the state (but not less stringent), I would answer your question by saying: county.

71Bear
MaxBear said:

Kedon Slovis leads the way for the USC football team in an attempt to persuade Governor Newsom to get the Pac-12 season started

Actually, the Governor is not making the call. As many have said, at this time, the virus is calling the shots. It operates on its own timeline. Other than take precautions like wearing a mask and socially distance, we are in a holding pattern. The virus will let us know when we can resume our lives.....
2701RidgeRoad
71Bear said:

MaxBear said:

Actually, the Governor is not making the call. As many have said, at this time, the virus is calling the shots. It operates on its own timeline. Other than take precautions like wearing a mask and socially distance, we are in a holding pattern. The virus will let us know when we can resume our lives.....
"The virus is calling the shots . . . the virus will let us know."

Calling the shots? As in telling us when we should be vaccinated?

This is perhaps the most remarkable example of an anthropomorphic fallacy yet.

Please, have a friendly talk with the virus and see what is in store for Cal football!

I have not become a shut in, and do not need to "resume" my life. I encourage others to embrace living their lives, supporting Cal football, and not be scared to death by anthropomorphic fallacies . . . or any other fallacies.
NVBear78
Good for them. Time for Cal, UCLA and Stanfurd players to follow suit.
71Bear
2701RidgeRoad said:

71Bear said:

MaxBear said:

"The virus is calling the shots . . . the virus will let us know."

Calling the shots? As in telling us when we should be vaccinated?

This is perhaps the most remarkable example of an anthropomorphic fallacy yet.

Please, have a friendly talk with the virus and see what is in store for Cal football!

I have not become a shut in, and do not need to "resume" my life. I encourage others to embrace living their lives, supporting Cal football, and not be scared to death by anthropomorphic fallacies . . . or any other fallacies.

Since my definition of "embracing living (my) life" entails international travel, I am kinda in a bind right now. Not to worry, I have made arrangements to travel next year (I am hopeful that we will get back to some semblance of normality by next summer). In the meantime, the virus is running the show. If that means no Cal football this Fall, so be it. It is disappointing but not life-threatening.

oskioski
golden sloth said:

Well, I disagree Slovis' claim that other schools are playing football safely. Texas tech has had 75 players test positive over the last 3 months, LSU's coach has admitted that 'most' of his team has had the disease. Five schools postponed games due to an outbreak of the disease. This is not what I would classify as 'safe'.

the casedemic goes on. "testing positive" oooooo scary. how many were hospitalized? answer; none. now, how many are hospitalized for other maladies during a season? covid is so scary that unless tested they would have never known they were positive. like almost, not quite but almost, 100% of people who come into contact with the virus.

you'd think this was salem in 1692....

also it's not a disease, it's a virus. diseases are caused by many things, among them viruses
golden sloth
oskioski said:

golden sloth said:

the casedemic goes on. "testing positive" oooooo scary. how many were hospitalized? answer; none. now, how many are hospitalized for other maladies during a season? covid is so scary that unless tested they would have never known they were positive. like almost, not quite but almost, 100% of people who come into contact with the virus.

also it's not a disease, it's a virus. diseases are caused by many things, among them viruses

Except those positives that you carelessly disregard as irrelevant then infect someone not on the football team, who infects someone else who isn't young and healthy and then dies. It is highly contagious, its spread needs to be contained or else it will continue to spread unabated causing more people to suffer and die, which will cause more harm to the economy and prevent entertainment endeavors like amateur sports from occurring normally. Greater spread interrupts people's lives, whether it be economically through lack of work or the attainment of goals through cancellation of events and limited options in how we spend our free time and the world quarantining us.

Greater short term pain and sacrifice of shutdowns is worth the long term benefit of returning to normal quicker. Half-assing this doesnt fix the problem and doesnt get us back to normal.
HoopDreams
what is happening with the WEAREUNITED movement?

are the players still planning to boycott a season?
NVBear78
oskioski said:

golden sloth said:

Spot on Oski-as you know, college kids across the country are testing positive for Covid. But guess what, a significant percentage are Asymptomatic, some get sick but I have yet to hear of anyone dying.

But every year college kids die of spinal meningitis and we don't shut down the campuses.

The continued amount of fear some seem to have combined with the desire to control and limit the lives of young people who are at minimal risk troubles me greatly.
calpoly
NVBear78 said:

oskioski said:

golden sloth said:

Spot on Oski-as you know, college kids across the country are testing positive for Covid. But guess what, a significant percentage are Asymptomatic, some get sick but I have yet to hear of anyone dying.

But every year college kids die of spinal meningitis and we don't shut down the campuses.

The continued amount of fear some seem to have combined with the desire to control and limit the lives of young people who are at minimal risk troubles me greatly.
Is spinal meningitis an airborne virus?
dimitrig
NVBear78 said:

oskioski said:

golden sloth said:

The idea is that we protect the elderly and the immune compromised. The youth will largely be fine. I was talking with a young, strapping (perhaps 6'3" 180), very athletic coworker of mine. He is 22 and (prior to COVID-19) he spent most of his time outdoors rock climbing, surfing, and the like. He told me he hasn't visited his 62 year old dad since March.

We were talking about masks (which we were both wearing) and he said that he lives in a more Republican part of Southern California (Simi Valley) and that every once in a while someone will come up to him and tells him: "You don't need to wear a mask, you know." It is usually some gray-haired overweight person. He said he tells them (as he start to take off his mask): "Well, I just got off a double shift at the hospital and even if I have COVID-19 I could be asymptomatic, so I figure..." and they always recoil. (We don't work at a hospital.)

He told me: "I'm not wearing this mask for my sake. I am pretty sure I can catch COVID-19 and be totally fine. I'm wearing it for other people."

So... if college football wants to be like the NBA and play inside a bubble I think it will be fine. Is that the proposal? Otherwise, it's a threat not so much as to the players but to public safety.

wifeisafurd
71Bear said:

ColoradoBear said:

Would the state ultimately be preventing play, or is it the county health departments?

Since counties are permitted to invoke more stringent guidelines than the state (but not less stringent), I would answer your question by saying: county.

This with the proviso that Newsom can grant waivers from local guidelines, which is what is being requested and which he has granted before.
bipolarbear
HoopDreams said:

Be careful what you wish for.
oskioski
dimitrig said:

NVBear78 said:

oskioski said:

golden sloth said:

The idea is that we protect the elderly and the immune compromised. The youth will largely be fine. I was talking with a young, strapping (perhaps 6'3" 180), very athletic coworker of mine. He is 22 and (prior to COVID-19) he spent most of his time outdoors rock climbing, surfing, and the like. He told me he hasn't visited his 62 year old dad since March.

We were talking about masks (which we were both wearing) and he said that he lives in a more Republican part of Southern California (Simi Valley) and that every once in a while someone will come up to him and tells him: "You don't need to wear a mask, you know." It is usually some gray-haired overweight person. He said he tells them (as he start to take off his mask): "Well, I just got off a double shift at the hospital and even if I have COVID-19 I could be asymptomatic, so I figure..." and they always recoil. (We don't work at a hospital.)

He told me: "I'm not wearing this mask for my sake. I am pretty sure I can catch COVID-19 and be totally fine. I'm wearing it for other people."

So... if college football wants to be like the NBA and play inside a bubble I think it will be fine. Is that the proposal? Otherwise, it's a threat not so much as to the players but to public safety.

well by his and i assume your reasoning, if masks work, then why hasn't he visited his dad? and his dad being 62, unless he has underlying serious comorbidities, isn't at risk. if masks don't work, then why are we wearing them?

see the problem there.
oskioski
calpoly said:

NVBear78 said:

oskioski said:

golden sloth said:

yes, meningitis is contagious. meaning it can be passed from person to person. saliva-transmission.
dimitrig
oskioski said:

well by his and i assume your reasoning, if masks work, then why hasn't he visited his dad? and his dad being 62, unless he has underlying serious comorbidities, isn't at risk. if masks don't work, then why are we wearing them?

see the problem there.

Masks work, but they aren't 100%. What is your point?
oskioski
dimitrig said:

oskioski said:

see the problem there.

Masks work, but they aren't 100%. What is your point?
i think you know my point, you just can't address it.

when did we start living in a world with 100% odds?

but while we're on it, in the us, the odds of NOT being hospitalized from covid have held steady throughout at about 99.99%. as you go down in age the odds continue to improve. his 62 year old father has about 99.996% odds of NOT going to the hospital. if you're under 30 those odds go to 99.9998%. that's just being not hospitalized. death rate much lower.

is that point clear?
BearForce2
HoopDreams said:

71Bear is being oddly silent about it.

The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
calpoly
oskioski said:

calpoly said:

NVBear78 said:

oskioski said:

golden sloth said:

yes, meningitis is contagious. meaning it can be passed from person to person. saliva-transmission.
Yes but it is not airborne so the transmission if quite different from Covid. Covid is MUCH easier to transmit which is why colleges closed.
FloriDreaming
Good! Nice to see the players standing up to the hysteria.

Let the players play!
bearister
North Carolina game against Charlotte cancelled with COVID quarantines

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2020/09/17/north-carolina-game-against-charlotte-cancelled-covid-quarantines/3479424001/
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Golden One
NVBear78 said:

oskioski said:

golden sloth said:

The fear you cite is almost totally politically driven. That fear will largely abate after November 3.
Big C
Golden One said:

NVBear78 said:

oskioski said:

golden sloth said:

The fear you cite is almost totally politically driven. That fear will largely abate after November 3.

I really feel there is a middle ground here and that there shouldn't be "sides" to this issue, especially ones based on politics.

Football is a rather dangerous sport. How much does the threat of COVID add to the danger for these young athletes? Maybe 50%? Well, we don't really know, but I doubt it amplifies it by many factors. The real danger is them spreading it to the rest of the population, where it eventually finds the vulnerable.

COVID has been diminishing in the US for the past several weeks. I say, let the players start practicing, especially if we can get that rapid-results testing in place. If COVID keeps going down by Halloween, or at least doesn't start surging upward again, we can play some semblance of a schedule. However, we need to go in realizing that, if we start experiencing surges of a certain size or length again. we may need to abort.

Wearing masks and maintaining some social distance discipline is the patriotic thing to do, so that we can open up what we can open up. Instead of having other countries snicker at our expense, let's show them what we can do!
oskioski
Big C said:

Golden One said:

NVBear78 said:

oskioski said:

golden sloth said:

Wearing masks and maintaining some social distance discipline is the patriotic thing to do, so that we can open up what we can open up. Instead of having other countries snicker at our expense, let's show them what we can do!
and see, i thought honoring our constitution and inalienable rights was the patriotic thing to do. inalienable... it's a powerful word / concept.
golden sloth
oskioski said:

Big C said:

Golden One said:

NVBear78 said:

oskioski said:

golden sloth said:

and see, i thought honoring our constitution and inalienable rights was the patriotic thing to do. inalienable... it's a powerful word / concept.

Well, I would consider protection from non-mask wearing people during a pandemic as 'providing for the common defense and promoting the general welfare of the people' as honoring the constitution considering it's a quote from the constitution.
Big C
oskioski said:

Big C said:

Golden One said:

NVBear78 said:

oskioski said:

golden sloth said:

There are times when we need to sacrifice our personal freedoms for the common good. Read the rest of my post that you quoted from. We can agree on some things... I hope.
allhail
I don't want to quibble, but it actually is airborne. Per the WHO:

Neisseria meningitidis only infects humans; there is no animal reservoir. The bacteria are transmitted from person-to-person through droplets of respiratory or throat secretions from carriers. Smoking, close and prolonged contact such as kissing, sneezing or coughing on someone, or living in close quarters with a carrier facilitates the spread of the disease. Transmission of N. meningitidis is facilitated during mass gatherings (recent examples include the Haj pilgrimage, and jamborees).
Golden One
Big C said:

Golden One said:

NVBear78 said:

oskioski said:

golden sloth said:

I really feel there is a middle ground here and that there shouldn't be "sides" to this issue, especially ones based on politics.

Football is a rather dangerous sport. How much does the threat of COVID add to the danger for these young athletes? Maybe 50%? Well, we don't really know, but I doubt it amplifies it by many factors. The real danger is them spreading it to the rest of the population, where it eventually finds the vulnerable.

COVID has been diminishing in the US for the past several weeks. I say, let the players start practicing, especially if we can get that rapid-results testing in place. If COVID keeps going down by Halloween, or at least doesn't start surging upward again, we can play some semblance of a schedule. However, we need to go in realizing that, if we start experiencing surges of a certain size or length again. we may need to abort.

I agree! It's time to get on with life, while taking appropriate precautions.
Goobear
Big C said:

Golden One said:

NVBear78 said:

oskioski said:

golden sloth said:

That is way too rational...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.