CJ Anderson Officially Retires to Start Coaching Career

1,984 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by concernedparent
Bearly Clad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CJ went from Laney CC to California and on to a seven year NFL career as an undrafted free agent. His career highlights include making the Pro Bowl, playing in two Super Bowls and winning a Super Bowl ring as the starting RB for the Broncos. He did everything the right way and worked hard to establish himself at every level. Check out this career arc for Mr. Cortrelle Javon Anderson:
2010: A community college RB at Laney CC
2011: A backup RB at the University of California
2012: The leading rusher for California during the '12 season (Sofele had more carries)
2013: Goes undrafted and gets signed by the Broncos
2014: Becomes a Pro Bowler
2015: Wins the Super Bowl
2017: Rushes for over 1k yards in the NFL
2018: Plays in another Super Bowl
2020: Retires from playing and announces he'll be coaching in a Power 5 conference in CFB (we're waiting to hear the official word on where that will be)

Overall he rushed for 4.5 yards/carry in his NFL career and scored 27 TDs. What a wild decade for CJ, and he earned every bit of that great career. That's an amazing career for any RB, and CJ did it by beating the odds every step of the way. Most 1st round RBs don't have 7 year careers or play in two Super Bowls; CJ did it as a JC transfer and UDFA. That's just remarkable perseverance and resilience from great player and a great person; no one handed him anything, he carved out his success for himself.

Thanks for being a great Pro Bear CJ and a great ambassador for the University of California, best of luck in your coaching career! edit: 10SBear90 had it first, my bad but here's a nice tribute article from BR
Krugman Is A Moron
I hope he coaches Ron Gould's son and benches him for not being a good enough pass blocker.
Marty
He should be very proud. As said above, he did everything the right way, and demonstrated what can happen when talent meets hard work and commitment. Solid student athlete and an exemplary pro. Another in the line of initially underrated and under recruited backs who out performed initial expectations at Cal, in the NFL, or both:

Igber
Anderson
Muhammad
Echemandu
Forsett
Laird

It's great to get backs like Lynch, Arrington, and Best, but it's also great to see what happens when a determined underdog refuses to listen to the naysayers and the recruiting services who don't see or understand the entire picture.
flounder
khalfani muhammad was a rivals 4 star, but ok
dmh65
That playoff run with the Rams was very memorable; wish they would've won the super bowl..
I assume there's no room on Wilcox's staff?
Bearly Clad
I've got no inside info, but I'd assume it's tough since they just hired Aristotle Thompson and CJ is probably looking to be a position coach. AT is a high-ceiling coach, he's supposed to be a great person, and his recruiting should be great too. It's rough that he has to wait this long to coach on gameday for us but I have really high expectations.

He might take a year to prove/entrench himself, but by '22 he should be seeing a ton of success as a coach and recruiter. If he lands Lord Byron Cardwell in this class then he hit the ground running and there should be no doubts at all. Recruiting aside I think he, Musgrave, Yates, and McClure will both be great additions to the coaching staff. I'd love it if CJ came back to coach here someday but the timing just seems off right now
concernedparent
Hell of a career. Made $13 mil, won a superbowl, played in 3, left with his body intact.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.