Meet the Cal cross-country runner who wants to dismantle the NCAA

1,600 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearForce2
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Cross-country runner Andrew Cooper wants to dismantle NCAA - The Washington Post

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/09/22/andrew-cooper-dismantle-ncaa/
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
ColoradoBear
Interesting read.

I'm not saying Cooper is a hypocrite or anything like that...

But if college sports is reformed in a way where more CFB revenue goes to players and less to the school, then universities like Cal and WSU will likely not have sports like cross country on the scholarship/varsity level.

I'd be fine if a lot of sports (if not all) were essentially club level, as in they must essentually self fund w/o much university $$$ commitment. And also have no restrictions on what a player can and can't do in terms of funding themselves.

The big issue for schools unwinding from the current model is what to do about facilities. Double for schools in cities where space is tight.
calbear80
We have Cross Country?!

Why?

Drop it now.

Go Bears!
Lomiton
ColoradoBear said:

Interesting read.

But if college sports is reformed in a way where more CFB revenue goes to players and less to the school, then universities like Cal and WSU will likely not have sports like cross country on the scholarship/varsity level.

I'd be fine with a lot of sports (if not all) were essentially club level, as in they must essentually self fund w/o much university $$$ commitment. And also have no restrictions on what a player can and can't do in terms of funding themselves.

The big issue for schools unwinding from the current model is what to do about facilities. Double for schools in cities where space is tight.

Believe that Andrew was a walk-on participant at Wazzu. While I doubt there is any question that he enjoyed the travel of his collegiate career by flying to places like Tucson, LA and Boulder my guess is that he would have been just as happy hopping in the van and running in Moscow, Spokane or Missoula.

Also, I am not sure that facilities would be big issue, as really the only facility issue I see in an "unwind" are the football stadiums. If continuing on the big-time football path is part of the institution's goal then it shouldn't be an issue. Other athletic facilities can either can be used for the university at large, or in the case of gold plated locker rooms, repurposed.

Other than that, I think your comments are on the right path - and doable.
Big Dog
ColoradoBear said:

Interesting read.

I'd be fine if a lot of sports (if not all) were essentially club level, as in they must essentually self fund w/o much university $$$ commitment. And also have no restrictions on what a player can and can't do in terms of funding themselves.

P5 Unis would cancel a bunch of so-called Olympic sports for both men and women. One thing that no one wants to publicly discuss is that if football and b'ball players get a piece of the action, many women's sports will be on the chopping block as well.
Lomiton
P5 Unis would cancel a bunch of so-called Olympic sports for both men and women. One thing that no one wants to publicly discuss is that if football and b'ball players get a piece of the action, many women's sports will be on the chopping block as well.

Big Dog: Why would they have to cancel a bunch of sports? Could we perhaps look at self-funding by raising money in the form of an endowment? Could we look at expenses, both of individual sports and the athletic department as a whole? Or is it your belief that P5 Universities would just get out the cleaver and cut because that's what they've always wanted to do anyway and this will give them a good excuse to do it?
Big Dog
Lomiton said:

Big Dog: Why would they have to cancel a bunch of sports? Could we perhaps look at self-funding by raising money in the form of an endowment? Could we look at expenses, both of individual sports and the athletic department as a whole? Or is it your belief that P5 Universities would just get out the cleaver and cut because that's what they've always wanted to do anyway and this will give them a good excuse to do it?
Of course, a sport could look to raise its own funds, but that is unlikely to work long term for most sports; its just not practical. Football and men's basketball are profitable and support the other sports offered by the Uni, including women's sports.
And bcos of Title IX, any men's sport will have to raise enough to cover not only its own expenses but an appropriate number of scholarships for the same amount of women. Men's Cross Country could not exist, for example, unless there was a Women's Cross country team (or at least another women's sport and scholarships).

In particular, Cal Athletic Department runs a deficit. Baseball tried to endow itself at Cal and is still short of its $$ goal. If xx millions were given over to the players, that money has to come from somewhere, and it certainly won't be the academic side. So cuts will have to be made.
wifeisafurd
The broken record thread.
BearForce2
At Cal, every sport but football is a second class sport.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/23/sports/ncaafootball/cal-athletics-schedule.html
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.