OT: We Won Another Nobel Prize in Chemistry

5,758 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by burritos
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?

GoCal80
This is a great day for Cal and for a wonderful person, Jennifer Doudna. She teaches part of the huge biology gateway class, Biology 1A. The other semester there is another Nobel laureate, Randy Schekman, teaching this course. Cal undergrads in the life sciences are therefore very lucky as they will have one rock star scientist or the other teaching them Bio 1A.
PapaBear93
Congratulations to Prof Doudna. Her CRISPR research has been the single most transformative discovery in biology in the past few decades and will lead to a revolution in medicine for many years to come.

Glad she won and not the imposters at MIT who have been engaged in a patent dispute with Cal.
okaydo
This is a good article on how UC Berkeley staff are up early prepared to respond to any Nobel news.

GoCal80
I wonder if this Nobel will somehow play into Cal's patent fight with MIT over this technology. It seems that this award, made by a committee of scholars that does a deep study of who made the various contributions before making an award, will settle how it will be seen historically.
GivemTheAxe
GoCal80 said:

This is a great day for Cal and for a wonderful person, Jennifer Doudna. She teaches part of the huge biology gateway class, Biology 1A. The other semester there is another Nobel laureate, Randy Schekman, teaching this course. Cal undergrads in the life sciences are therefore very lucky as they will have one rock star scientist or the other teaching them Bio 1A.

USN&WR: nothing to see here. In fact this announcement will probably lower Cal's standing. why?
1. It adds to the already too many large lower division classes, not enough small classes that are more inviting to Freshmen and Sophomores
2. It reduces parking availability on the Cal campus by reserving one more spot for another Nobel Prize winner.
3. It exaggerates the already "elitist" attitude that makes most Cal students think their's is the Greatest University in the World. Nobody likes smug students.
CalBearinLA
GoCal80 said:

The dreaded Bio 1A weeder course! i remember the moment i passed the first midterm, i immediately went to declare for MCB just to lock it in. Randy Schekman was one of my professors when I took it, and I loved it.

Congratulations to Professor Doudna!
GranadaHillsBear
Bio 1A almost made me drop out of sciences. I wish I had her as a professor. Congrats to her for this amazing recognition
SanseiBear
She has a Hawaii connection where she grew up on the Big Island. https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/10/07/breaking-news/2-scientists-win-nobel-chemistry-prize-for-gene-scissors/
hanky1
GoCal80 said:

I wonder if this Nobel will somehow play into Cal's patent fight with MIT over this technology. It seems that this award, made by a committee of scholars that does a deep study of who made the various contributions before making an award, will settle how it will be seen historically.

I mentioned this last year in the CRISPR thread, but Cal wins the Nobe Prize but MIT wins the patent fight. Would you rather have a Nobel or a billion dollars?

The innovator for this technique was never in question. The patent is...

....unfortunately I think MIT has the stronger position here.

Historically, Cal has not been great at filing IP. Stanford and MIT have been phenomenal. Not so much Cal...I'm not sure why but I think we're starting to wake up to this reality.
GoCal80
hanky1 said:

Historically, Cal has not been great at filing IP. Stanford and MIT have been phenomenal. Not so much Cal...I'm not sure why but I think we're starting to wake up to this reality.
This is acknowledged by the campus leadership and so it seems likely that the office of Intellectual Property and Industry Research Alliances (IPIRA) is in for a major overhaul.
MilleniaBear
There goes another parking spot. How many parking spots are now allocated for Nobel winners? What happens to the spots of deceased winners? We should at least put a marker there and give the spot to the best prof in that discipline.
okaydo
MilleniaBear said:

There goes another parking spot. How many parking spots are now allocated for Nobel winners? What happens to the spots of deceased winners? We should at least put a marker there and give the spot to the best prof in that discipline.

Yesterday's winner lives in Germany. So I don't think there's going to be a major parking glut.

okaydo

TandemBear
So Awesome!
Go Bears!
(And two Nobels for UC in what, two days???)

Too bad UC Berkeley isn't the patent owner on that thing. Sucks. Since collaboration is necessary and encouraged in academia, it seems patents like that should be awarded to all parties - especially those winning Nobel Prizes for the thing!

On a related note, one of the kids in my daughter's BioTech Partners summer internship program got to work in Doudna's lab about four years ago. He was so lucky to get the placement. Looks like his resume just got boosted just a little bit! (Unfortunately, Oakland Tech just disbanded the BioTech academy. Makes no sense being in the heart of biotech in the East Bay. Lost opportunity right there.)
You're entitled to your wrong opinion!
bearister
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Big C

Usually us non-scientists would have a hard time predicting Nobel Prize winners... but not this time!
GoCal80
Big C said:

Usually us non-scientists would have a hard time predicting Nobel Prize winners... but not this time!
I'm a scientist and was worried about this one because the Swedish Royal Academy can be fickle. There were others people were arguing could be worthy of this prize, as indicated in this MIT publication: https://www.technologyreview.com/2020/10/07/1009601/nobel-prize-chemistry-crispr-gene-editing-doudna-charpentier/

"Controversial pick: Nobels can go to up to three people, so the committee's choice to leave the third slot unfilled is likely to generate debate. Those potentially left out of the honor include Virginijus iknys, a Lithuanian biochemist at the University of Vilnius who made similar discoveries. Also snubbed is Feng Zhang of MIT, who was among the first to show CRISPR editing in human cells and who has so far prevailed in a costly dispute with Charpentier and Doudna over CRISPR patent rights."

Today was a win for the good guys!
BearForce2
Doudna, say her name!

Huge win.
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
BearForce2
Quote:

Controversial pick: Nobels can go to up to three people, so the committee's choice to leave the third slot unfilled is likely to generate debate. Those potentially left out of the honor include Virginijus iknys, a Lithuanian biochemist at the University of Vilnius who made similar discoveries. Also snubbed is Feng Zhang of MIT, who was among the first to show CRISPR editing in human cells and who has so far prevailed in a costly dispute with Charpentier and Doudna over CRISPR patent rights.
https://www.technologyreview.com/2020/10/07/1009601/nobel-prize-chemistry-crispr-gene-editing-doudna-charpentier/

The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
BearForce2
GoCal80 said:

Big C said:

I'm a scientist and was worried about this one because the Swedish Royal Academy can be fickle. There were others people were arguing could be worthy of this prize, as indicated in this MIT publication: https://www.technologyreview.com/2020/10/07/1009601/nobel-prize-chemistry-crispr-gene-editing-doudna-charpentier/

"Controversial pick: Nobels can go to up to three people, so the committee's choice to leave the third slot unfilled is likely to generate debate. Those potentially left out of the honor include Virginijus iknys, a Lithuanian biochemist at the University of Vilnius who made similar discoveries. Also snubbed is Feng Zhang of MIT, who was among the first to show CRISPR editing in human cells and who has so far prevailed in a costly dispute with Charpentier and Doudna over CRISPR patent rights."

I just saw your post after I posted mine.
KoreAmBear
Proud Hilo High School grad!
Big C
GoCal80 said:

Big C said:

I certainly didn't know that Ms. Doudna was going to win THIS year, just figured it was likely SOME year. I saw where the Physics winners won for their work a long time ago. How do they determine WHEN the winners win? Or do they just sort of select the most deserving candidates who have yet to win?
okaydo

NVBear78
okaydo said:

Thanks for posting this list. My professor from my first Class at Cal is on it!
dimitrig

I am just wondering how many other universities are having similar discussions on their sports boards right about now.

Not many!

Bobodeluxe
Oui?
Bearonthebench
GoCal80 said:

Big C said:

ultulty

Some in our faculty were worried about the politicking going on for the prize and patent.

Oski87
Bearonthebench said:

GoCal80 said:

Big C said:

ultulty

Some in our faculty were worried about the politicking going on for the prize and patent.

BearForce2
SFCityBear
Bearonthebench said:

GoCal80 said:

Big C said:

ultulty

I am shocked, absolutely shocked, to hear that there might be politics going on in the field of science!
GivemTheAxe
BearForce2 said:

Great post. Loved the comradeship among the members of the entire team.
Go Bears
Bearprof
hanky1 said:

GoCal80 said:

I mentioned this last year in the CRISPR thread, but Cal wins the Nobe Prize but MIT wins the patent fight. Would you rather have a Nobel or a billion dollars?

The patent situation is complicated. Berkeley has many patents on CRISPR, and filed first on applying CRISPR to mammalian cells. The MIT group ponied up for fast tracking their patent application related to human applications (Cal should have done that!) and managed to get it approved first on a highly controversial (i.e bullsh*t) call by the patent office. But Cal has patents on the basic process, so any commercialization has to address those patents too. As Doudna once put it metaphorically, Cal has a patent on tennis balls, while MIT has a patent on tennis balls with one specific color. By the way, much credit goes to the French co-winner with Doudna, Emanuelle Charpentier.
GivemTheAxe
Bearprof said:

hanky1 said:

GoCal80 said:

The patent situation is complicated. Berkeley has many patents on CRISPR, and filed first on applying CRISPR to mammalian cells. The MIT group ponied up for fast tracking their patent application related to human applications (Cal should have done that!) and managed to get it approved first on a highly controversial (i.e bullsh*t) call by the patent office. But Cal has patents on the basic process, so any commercialization has to address those patents too. As Doudna once put it metaphorically, Cal has a patent on tennis balls, while MIT has a patent on tennis balls with one specific color. By the way, much credit goes to the French co-winner with Doudna, Emanuelle Charpentier.

I guess the Patent Office does not consider humans to be mammals.
Bearprof
GivemTheAxe said:

Bearprof said:

hanky1 said:

GoCal80 said:

I guess the Patent Office does not consider humans to be mammals.
They do. As did I when I used that term. It is just that the fast-tracking by MIT resulted in their patent being considered before UC/Cal's was.

Anyway, the thing is that a specific commercial application, in e.g. medicine, could require a company to license multiple patents, e.g. one for the basic process, and the other for specific use in humans (or other mammals, e.g. in farm animals).

Also Cal has patents for use of CRISPR in plants/agriculture and many other scenarios. Don't get me wrong, the MIT patent SUBSTANTIALLY cuts in to UC/Cal's potential financial yield from the discovery, but it is not as if there is just one patent for CRISPR and Cal lost out on it and will not get significant royalties from it. And UC/Cal has already, and will continue to, receive royalties from the patents they have on CRISPR.

The MIT patent was bullish*t. Most of us, even those without a horse in the race, thought that their patent was about as obvious an extension that there could be. Patents are not supposed to be awarded for obvious things. But in court, the MIT lawyers used an admirable trait of Doudna from a scientists perspective against her: at an earlier conference, when Doudna was asked whether it would work in human cells, she said she was not certain, as it had not yet been done. But she was just showing scientific restraint. The lawyers, and ultimately the court, used that comment to assert that it must not be obvious if she was not certain it would work. It was most certainly obvious, even if it was not yet carried out. The MIT lab and many others around the same time used exactly Doudna's approach to edit human cells in culture. Then they tried to take all the credit. It was ridiculous.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.