Story Poster
Photo by Twitter / Cal Football
Cal Football

Cal To Play UCLA At Rose Bowl Sunday 9 am

November 13, 2020

BERKELEY – Cal will open its 2020 football season by visiting UCLA on Sunday at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena. The game will kick off at 9 a.m. and be televised on FS1.

The date became available after both the Golden Bears' and Bruins' previously scheduled games were canceled. Neither of the teams' opponents – Arizona State for Cal, Utah for UCLA – were able to play due to COVID-19 protocols.

Cal and UCLA were not originally scheduled to play this season. The schools last met in the Rose Bowl on Nov. 30, 2019, resulting in a 28-18 Golden Bear victory.

The Bears did not play their scheduled season-opener vs. Washington on Nov. 7 following a single positive COVID-19 test and subsequent contact tracing. Cal has since received clearance from public health officials to play on Sunday.

"We have known from the beginning of this pandemic that there could be challenges this season and that we would need to remain flexible and find ways to be creative while still keeping the health and safety of our student-athletes as our No. 1 priority," Director of Athletics Jim Knowlton said. "This has certainly been an emotional rollercoaster for those in our program, particularly our student-athletes, but we need to remain as diligent as ever and proceed within federal, state and local protocols. We are appreciative of the work from all involved to be able to play this game on short notice."

"We have known since the pandemic began that the 2020 college football season would be different from any other," Cal football coach Justin Wilcox said. "As I've told our team many times, the one thing we have learned is to expect the unexpected. We appreciate all of the hard work that everyone has done on so many levels to allow us to play this weekend, and we are thankful the opportunity has arisen to play at UCLA."

Pac-12 Statement:
The Pac-12 announced today that Cal will now play at UCLA on Sunday, November 15 at 9:00am PT.  The scheduling of this game is consistent with the Conference's commitment to provide opportunities for student-athletes through maximum scheduling flexibility while still prioritizing health and safety.  The announcement follows the cancellation of the Cal at Arizona State game and the Utah at UCLA game earlier today.  The Cal at UCLA game will air on Fox Sports 1.

In light of the Sunday scheduling of this game, the Conference has rescheduled the UCLA at Oregon game currently scheduled to take place on Friday evening, November 20 to Saturday, November 21, with the exact game time to be announced as soon as confirmed.  The game will air on the ESPN family of networks.  

Tags: Football
Discussion from...

Cal To Play UCLA At Rose Bowl Sunday 9 am

5,809 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by heartofthebear
burritos
How long do you want to ignore this user?
LunchTime
LoL

A few weeks ago: "Its BS that we dont play an LA school. Stupid Utah and Colorado"
Today: weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
NVBear78
Get the boys on a plane to LA before the COB can pitch another fit...
BearoutEast67
Yes!!!!!
Donate to Cal's NIL at https://calegends.com/donation/
KoreAmBear
I'm hearing the dline guys can theoretically play but have to quarantine to Sunday. Meaning, then have to get on a flight Sunday morning for a 9am game lol. What's the earliest SWA flight? Burbank to the Rose Bowl would take less than 30 minutes. Get on the plane with full uniform on!

Can this get anymore absurd?
oskidunker
Myst be chartering a plane. No flights before 9 am on Southwest anyway. . I would fly them up at 12:01 am so they can get a few hours sleep
Go Bears!
oski003
can they drive down together tomorrow?
bearsandgiants
KoreAmBear said:

I'm hearing the dline guys can theoretically play but have to quarantine to Sunday. Meaning, then have to get on a flight Sunday morning for a 9am game lol. What's the earliest SWA flight? Burbank to the Rose Bowl would take less than 30 minutes. Get on the plane with full uniform on!

driving down together on a bus with nobody else involved/interacting and going straight to a hotel room should still be considered quarantining.
Big C

I never could have imagined this sort of turn-on-a-dime flexibility in football... but I love it! Go Bears!
72CalBear
When was the last regular season college game played on a Sunday??
Chabbear
Before 1950, the catholic colleges used to play each other on Sundays. In 1949, St Mays played USF on Sunday 10/23 and Santa Clara on Sunday 11/13.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1949_Saint_Mary%27s_Gaels_football_team

LunchTime
Big C said:

I never could have imagined this sort of turn-on-a-dime flexibility in football... but I love it! Go Bears!
The logistics just seem absurd.

Cal and UCLA get a day to scout each other. The DLine hasnt been doing anything serious for 14 days. Trucks have to be rerouted. Flights, maybe day-of. Booking hotels on two days notice (probably not hard NOW I guess). And that seems like the easy part.

Getting agreement to play a random team, and then staffing the rose bowl on Sunday instead of Saturday, TV, refs, all those guys with the first down markers... The RB is a private venue, so they have to get permission and timing in line, too.

Its so many moving parts when you think about it. Fewer than if there were fans, but still a lot to organize.

TBH, this kind of flexibility is amazing, even if its easier than it seems. The two AD's and the teams deserve a lot of credit.
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear
With rescheduling, Bears could play all 3 other CA schools this year (or only 1).
KoreAmBear
bearsandgiants said:

KoreAmBear said:

driving down together on a bus with nobody else involved/interacting and going straight to a hotel room should still be considered quarantining.

That sounds like the most feasible option. Leave Saturday morning. This is not even considering they haven't practiced for 2 weeks. That seems to be more of the limiting factor than even this crazy logistical situation.
71Bear
72CalBear said:

When was the last regular season college game played on a Sunday??
It happens every season on Labor Day weekend (ex. this year, of course). Since the pro's don't play any games that weekend, it is open to college ball from Thursday through Monday.
okaydo

BGolden
The ultimate pick-up game.
heartofthebear
I think Cal can beat UCLA even with a late flight.
There are some hungry Bears out there ready to come out of hibernation.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.