It's Big Game Week

6,331 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by smh
Strykur
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Can we get a new special teams coach before then?
westcoast101
Only game that matters at this point. Probably the only game to avoid a winless "season" too.
DWM81
Ragle is arguably our best recruiter. With all the attrition there are guys playing who should not be on the field...
ColoradoBear
Good thing Cal saved all the creative offensive playcalling for the Furd. They won't know what hit em.
killa22
Stanford, at least defensively was stout on the run against Oregon. It was their corners and safeties that gave up chunk yardage to Oregon's receivers.

I like the way we matchup with the passing game against those guys. We could theoretically get after them vertically , but I'm not sure how Musgraves is going to approach it.

Hopefully he sees what is evident on film with regard to using the weapons at his disposal.
Econ141
Musgrave will double down on power runs that gain 2 yards. On the 3rd and long, Garners will get his passes deflected at the line of scrimmage.

We will give up the axe but thankfully don't have to watch that awkward stare down and exchange.
72CalBear
I'm not at all excited, which is rare for me and the family before BG. This season has been such a mess. Historically there are dozens of reasons to consider the game significant, yet this week isn't taking me to the same place.
Bobodeluxe
Someone will get their first win.

What's not to get giddy about?
Strykur
72CalBear said:

I'm not at all excited, which is rare for me and the family before BG. This season has been such a mess. Historically there are dozens of reasons to consider the game significant, yet this week isn't taking me to the same place.
Usually there's a season to look back on, good or bad, this year it's 5 games at most, no bowl, and lots of uncertainty, and even if we went 6-0/7-0, what conclusions would we have made then, since that's not even half a full season?
Rushinbear
72CalBear said:

More like Spring practice.
oskidunker
Bowl still possible.
Go Bears!
Big C

Here's one thing about Big Game this year: If the game occurs, not attending in person absolutely does NOT end my 45-consecutive-Big-Games-streak (or anybody else's similar streaks). Next year, I will just pick up with 46.

Of the many things that irk me right now, one is that I am shooting for 100 and this makes it probably about 10% harder.
AunBear89
DWM81 said:

Ragle is arguably our best recruiter. With all the attrition there are guys playing who should not be on the field...

Get out of here with your logic and facts. That stuff has no currency with the BI football brain trust. They've already decided that the coaching staff is the worst collection of human beings since The Spanish Inquisition.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
Golden One
oskidunker said:

Bowl still possible.
Only in your dreams.
oskidunker
Big C said:

Here's one thing about Big Game this year: If the game occurs, not attending in person absolutely does NOT end my 45-consecutive-Big-Games-streak (or anybody else's similar streaks). Next year, I will just pick up with 46.

Of the many things that irk me right now, one is that I am shooting for 100 and this makes it probably about 10% harder.
There will be a few people at the game. Refs and maybe parents of the players. So if a parent of one of the players has bern going for 45 years should this not count as 46? You could theoretically sneak in. Watch the Invisible man with Elizabeth Moss.
Go Bears!
bearister
Are they providing fireproof masks for the bonfire rally?
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
oskidunker
Golden One said:

oskidunker said:

Bowl still possible.
Only in your dreams.
Winning record not required this year. They will take who is healthy. There may not be enough teams.
Go Bears!
Strykur
oskidunker said:

Golden One said:

oskidunker said:

Bowl still possible.
Only in your dreams.
Winning record not required this year. They will take who is healthy. There may not be enough teams.
So we could go bowling at 1-4?
71Bear
Strykur said:

oskidunker said:

Golden One said:

oskidunker said:

Bowl still possible.
Only in your dreams.
No. The PAC-12 is on record as having said that no conference team with a losing record will be permitted to go to a bowl game.
Strykur
71Bear said:

Strykur said:

oskidunker said:

Golden One said:

oskidunker said:

Bowl still possible.
Only in your dreams.
No. The PAC-12 is on record as having said that no conference team with a losing record will be permitted to go to a bowl game.

I was asking in jest of course, but unless we schedule an OOC game in the next 2 weeks, we have to win out to get a bowl.
wifeisafurd
71Bear said:

Strykur said:

oskidunker said:

Golden One said:

oskidunker said:

Bowl still possible.
Only in your dreams.
Also, a lot of Pac bowl games have been or will be canceled.
Golden One
oskidunker said:

Golden One said:

oskidunker said:

Bowl still possible.
Only in your dreams.
Maybe, but they're not likely to take a 0-6 or 1-5 team, and that looks like where we're headed right now.
AunBear89
Oh just stop. You have zero clue about the topic. Yet you act like an authority. Pathetic. Worst fan ever.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
72CalBear
Darn - Also going to miss the "Big Splash" water polo game and all the other very traditional and memorable aspects of this game! Beat Furd!!
Bobodeluxe
On the positive side, this morning sometime after 8:00 I yelled "Go Bears- Beat Stanford" on an pretty much otherwise empty Sproul. A homeless guy replied, "Stanford sucks!" I gave him $1.
UrsineMaximus
I trust the Axe Committee has had some training in the past year and has learned to calm the fluck down!! Show some confidence and authority and don't run around like a chicken with your head cut off tripping all over your fellow chickens. Jeeezuzzzz.
oskidunker
What are the odds that the game will happen? I hope Garbers is in a room by himself.
Go Bears!
upsetof86
Golden One said:

oskidunker said:

Bowl still possible.
Only in your dreams.

Albany Bowl
PalyBear
Anyone get their "Big Ticket" package? I haven't gotten anything
philbert
PalyBear said:

Anyone get their "Big Ticket" package? I haven't gotten anything
supposed to arrive tomorrow per ups
wifeisafurd
Dumb question: if no spectators, students, rally committee, etc. how does the Axe get given to the winning team. Does Wilcox hand the Axe to the players who then had it back to him?
philly1121
wifeisafurd said:

Dumb question: if no spectators, students, rally committee, etc. how does the Axe get given to the winning team. Does Wilcox hand the Axe to the players who then had it back to him?

Actually, its kind of a great question. With no students and social distancing if there are Rally Committee members who have the Axe, what will the handover look like?

Perhaps if there is one - JUST ONE - good thing to come out of this pandemic is that it may eliminate the staredown and the awful sprint to the fans.
BearChemist
Put the axe in the endzone.
bearsandgiants
I'm thankful for Cal football in the middle of a pandemic. Friday will be a treat, regardless of the outcome.
bipolarbear
philly1121 said:

wifeisafurd said:

Actually, its kind of a great question. With no students and social distancing if there are Rally Committee members who have the Axe, what will the handover look like?

Perhaps if there is one - JUST ONE - good thing to come out of this pandemic is that it may eliminate the staredown and the awful sprint to the fans.
Cringe inducing to watch.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.