Ashtyn Davis bikes to work...

4,347 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Oski87
burritos
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.sportscasting.com/new-york-jets-rookie-ashtyn-davis-does-not-own-a-car-and-rides-his-bike-to-work/

Quote:

Ashtyn Davis may have picked up more than $1 million as a signing bonus, but he didn't blow it on a fancy ride. In fact, he doesn't own any sort of car. Davis told reporters on Thursday that his primary modes of transportation are his bicycle and his legs.
That may have worked well most days in Santa Cruz, California, and during his first couple of months in New Jersey. However, the weather always eventually turns at least as bad as the New York Jets' record, which means some frosty morning rides to the training facility. He had one such day this week when the temperature dipped to 23 degrees.
"I was fine," Davis said. "I got my snow jacket and gloves. It was only about a 10-minute ride."
He'll probably reconsider once the snow starts falling and sticking to the ground, but Davis will continue to ride solo for now.
"The biking thing has been good for me to stay focused and stay humble," he said
.The videos are uplifting too.
rkt88edmo
Depending on the road and trail conditions where he rides, just getting a fat tired e-bike or switch to a POS pickup.
calumnus
burritos said:

https://www.sportscasting.com/new-york-jets-rookie-ashtyn-davis-does-not-own-a-car-and-rides-his-bike-to-work/

Quote:

Ashtyn Davis may have picked up more than $1 million as a signing bonus, but he didn't blow it on a fancy ride. In fact, he doesn't own any sort of car. Davis told reporters on Thursday that his primary modes of transportation are his bicycle and his legs.
That may have worked well most days in Santa Cruz, California, and during his first couple of months in New Jersey. However, the weather always eventually turns at least as bad as the New York Jets' record, which means some frosty morning rides to the training facility. He had one such day this week when the temperature dipped to 23 degrees.
"I was fine," Davis said. "I got my snow jacket and gloves. It was only about a 10-minute ride."
He'll probably reconsider once the snow starts falling and sticking to the ground, but Davis will continue to ride solo for now.
"The biking thing has been good for me to stay focused and stay humble," he said

I know I am biased, but I really do think Cal attracts and produces outstanding people.
OdontoBear66
calumnus said:

burritos said:

Quote:

I know I am biased, but I really do think Cal attracts and produces outstanding people.
That is until they start disagreeing with each other politically on the FB board and then outstanding goes out the window, one side or the other.
burritos
OdontoBear66 said:

calumnus said:

burritos said:

Quote:

That is until they start disagreeing with each other politically on the FB board and then outstanding goes out the window, one side or the other.
Yeah, if the conclusion is based on this board(myself included), I'm not impressed. My guess is outstanding people don't have time to waste on boards like these.
Unit2Sucks
This is such an awesome story and speaks to Ashtyn's discipline. As a former walk-on, he obviously seems to value humility as a strength and the world can use more people like that.
TandemBear
Big thumbs up from me!!!

He hails from a great cycling location, home of Rock Lobster, Ibis and Santa Cruz Cycles, some great riding and an overall cool place.

So cool to hear he's a dedicated bicycle commuter. Amazing that he's car-free; that must be a very rare thing among pro athletes. Thanks for posting this!

Roll on you Bears!!!

Edit: Wow, he and his parents are so forthcoming! Man, to share that much personal stuff on the national stage is something I don't I could do. Props to them for being so open and to his dad for overcoming his drug addictions. Thank you Davis family for sharing some of your personal stories.

PS Keep riding, Ashton! Don't let a little snow & ice slow you down. I visited Germany during a hard freeze one January. Was blown away by the bicycle commuters casually riding in sub-freezing temps in their office/professional clothes. No "hardcore" winter gear. Many women in skirts & work shoes. Not many riders even wore gloves. I couldn't believe the fortitude!
Unit2Sucks
TandemBear said:

Big thumbs up from me!!!

He hails from a great cycling location, home of Rock Lobster, Ibis and Santa Cruz Cycles, some great riding and an overall cool place.

LOL knew you would be excited about this!

My Ibis bikes have been among my most prized physical possessions. Wish I had a chance to ride them more!
OdontoBear66
Unit2Sucks said:

TandemBear said:

Big thumbs up from me!!!

My Ibis bikes have been among my most prized physical possessions. Wish I had a chance to ride them more!
Go Ibis....The best.
burritos
Any suggestion for dual suspension MTB for around 3k?
rkt88edmo
Just based on what people seem to be riding, I'd say you'll have to stretch your price point a bit, most of the more popular rides, out the door, are slightly above 3k before tax these days.

It completely blows my mind to see kids cruising around the neighborhood or low key trail riding on these 3k+ machines lol

It's a decent time of year to buy as they start to get motivated to move old stock for the 2021 stuff. But I'm guessing bike sales have benefitted from SIP like other exercise equipment sales.

Just hop down to your local shop and see what Santa Cruz and Specialized rides they are stocking at your price point.
Unit2Sucks
Yeah I think it's a bad year to buy bikes because of the supply chain disruption and the spike in demand. I don't pretend to be an expert across the bike strata but if I were spending $3k I would probably get an Ibis Ripmo AF or a Giant Trance Advanced. Generally speaking I think Giant is the best value in the industry because of their vertical integration. I need to get new road bikes and have always ridden Giant but the prices are high now so I'm waiting until things somewhat return to normal next year.
TandemBear
Unit2Sucks said:

Yeah I think it's a bad year to buy bikes because of the supply chain disruption and the spike in demand. I don't pretend to be an expert across the bike strata but if I were spending $3k I would probably get an Ibis Ripmo AF or a Giant Trance Advanced. Generally speaking I think Giant is the best value in the industry because of their vertical integration. I need to get new road bikes and have always ridden Giant but the prices are high now so I'm waiting until things somewhat return to normal next year.
Excellent advice. This is a TOUGH year to be buying bikes, especially the lower end ones. That said, even the high end stuff it hard to find. Look on YT's website (direct to consumer like Canyon) and many of their models are sold out across the entire size chart. A friend of mine had an email alert set for one full suspension bike he wanted. Got the alert, went to purchase online, put it in his cart and realized he didn't have his CC handy. By the time he got his card, the bike had been sold out from under him. That's how crazy it is right now.

We just got my wife a $3k Scott Spark 27.5" and she loves it. She's been on a really nice aluminum hard tail for 25 years and she cannot believe how nice her new bike is. The spec is decent with Fox fork and rear shock. The suspension is DW-link, which is considered THE suspension design that's dialed in really well.

Major difference from the old school stuff. Just body positioning alone is very confidence-inspiring. Today's larger wheels (27.5 or 29") are considered smoother-rolling for getting over stuff. In general, small riders, like my wife, should probably choose 27.5". It's hard to make an XS or S bike with 29" wheels and keep optimal geometry and avoid pedal/foot overlap. 2.3" tubeless tires make for a nicer ride as well. Lower pressures mean even better traction and shock absorption. So that PLUS full suspension means she's totally psyched riding now. She says she's riding much of our rooted redwood single track that she'd walk on her old bike.

I'm still in the dark ages (hard tail) and am DYING for an Ibis full suspension bike. I had actually decided that heading to Santa Cruz to demo both Ibis and Santa Cruz would be a great family outing this year.... NOT! Thwarted by Covid (obviously). So I haven't gotten to demo a Ripmo or Ripley yet. But I really want to get some trail time on a few bikes before putting down the $$$. Covid is delaying this plan, obviously.

Lots of YouTube content out there on bike reviews. But they seem to be pretty subjective. Who ISN'T gonna say their new $6k full suspension bike is awesome? Not many. That said, check out "Trail POV" for technical discussions of various full suspension designs. And if you're not sure about a certain carbon bike brand, check out "Leuscher Technik."

Canyon and YT, being direct to consumer, are pretty deal friendly - under normal circumstances.

Giant is one of the "big 3 or 4" producers, so they're a known quantity. But the brand lacks panache of Yeti, Santa Cruz, or Ibis (among others).
TandemBear
Unit2Sucks said:

TandemBear said:

Big thumbs up from me!!!

You were right! I'm pretty predictable, I guess!

I just learned that Ibis' founder Scot Nichol hails from Berkeley! I always assumed he was a Marin boy. Nope, he grew up in Berkeley and only ended up in Marin later on. There's a great interview with him on YT by "Mo & Hannah," a van life couple that leads a pretty damn nice life of riding sweet trails in some of the best places in the country. Jealous!

Which Ibis do you own? Any of their stuff (save for their URT bikes) are prized possessions, for sure.
TandemBear
rkt88edmo said:

Just based on what people seem to be riding, I'd say you'll have to stretch your price point a bit, most of the more popular rides, out the door, are slightly above 3k before tax these days.

It completely blows my mind to see kids cruising around the neighborhood or low key trail riding on these 3k+ machines lol

It's a decent time of year to buy as they start to get motivated to move old stock for the 2021 stuff. But I'm guessing bike sales have benefitted from SIP like other exercise equipment sales.

Just hop down to your local shop and see what Santa Cruz and Specialized rides they are stocking at your price point.
Kids today. They REALLY have NO idea. Hydraulic disc brakes while I was squeezing cheap DiaComp calipers on my Mongoose BMX bike that barely worked! (Why, oh WHY did I sell that thing?!!!!) And bikes with GEARS??? How may times did I push that Mongoose up some steep dirt road (or my dang street) and lament, "Why don't they put GEARS on these things?"

Now kids are on totally sweet carbon full suspension bikes with amazing features. Talk about night and day. They have NO idea!

STAY OFF MY LAWN!

That said, pricing has BLOWN my mind. I left the bike industry just as carbon was becoming the norm in road bikes, but before it was the norm in mountain bikes. Then the evolution of full suspension has added to the sport. Add to that Fox Shocks' entrance into the market. They upped the ante in shock design and quality considerably. Back in 2002 or so, their shocks were demanding and easily getting $800 (when most shocks were in the $400 range.) Today, their high end shocks are $1,500. Again, this is just the front shock.

So what was a four grand top-of-the line bike 20 years ago is now a TWELVE THOUSAND dollar bike. I kid you not. I was at Trailhead in Cupertino last month. They had a "Founders Edition" Specialized on the floor that retailed for $17,000. And it had already sold - was just in for service! The "regular" version of the bike is $14,000.

But that's for full carbon frame and wheels with the best components and a dropper post (that's $350!). Oh, AND electronic shifting too! Carbon rims are much harder to make than aluminum, which accounts for the cost: $350-1,000 PER rim! But they're incredibly durable. I understand Enve offers a lifetime warranty so if you ding one with a rock, you can get a replacement. Problem is, it needs to be built up! So there's that.

Anyway, if you're looking in high end stuff, expect MSRP to be $8-12k. And given Covid, don't expect too many good "year end closeouts" that you normally find this time of year. It would be the lucky consumer to find much discounts even as the '21s are coming in.

Good luck!
Oski87
TandemBear said:

rkt88edmo said:

Kids today. They REALLY have NO idea. Hydraulic disc brakes while I was squeezing cheap DiaComp calipers on my Mongoose BMX bike that barely worked! (Why, oh WHY did I sell that thing?!!!!) And bikes with GEARS??? How may times did I push that Mongoose up some steep dirt road (or my dang street) and lament, "Why don't they put GEARS on these things?"

Now kids are on totally sweet carbon full suspension bikes with amazing features. Talk about night and day. They have NO idea!

STAY OFF MY LAWN!

That said, pricing has BLOWN my mind. I left the bike industry just as carbon was becoming the norm in road bikes, but before it was the norm in mountain bikes. Then the evolution of full suspension has added to the sport. Add to that Fox Shocks' entrance into the market. They upped the ante in shock design and quality considerably. Back in 2002 or so, their shocks were demanding and easily getting $800 (when most shocks were in the $400 range.) Today, their high end shocks are $1,500. Again, this is just the front shock.

So what was a four grand top-of-the line bike 20 years ago is now a TWELVE THOUSAND dollar bike. I kid you not. I was at Trailhead in Cupertino last month. They had a "Founders Edition" Specialized on the floor that retailed for $17,000. And it had already sold - was just in for service! The "regular" version of the bike is $14,000.

But that's for full carbon frame and wheels with the best components and a dropper post (that's $350!). Oh, AND electronic shifting too! Carbon rims are much harder to make than aluminum, which accounts for the cost: $350-1,000 PER rim! But they're incredibly durable. I understand Enve offers a lifetime warranty so if you ding one with a rock, you can get a replacement. Problem is, it needs to be built up! So there's that.

Anyway, if you're looking in high end stuff, expect MSRP to be $8-12k. And given Covid, don't expect too many good "year end closeouts" that you normally find this time of year. It would be the lucky consumer to find much discounts even as the '21s are coming in.

Good luck!

That all is quite insane. I have heard that biking is the new Golf. This seems to confirm that.
Unit2Sucks
TandemBear said:

Unit2Sucks said:

TandemBear said:

Big thumbs up from me!!!

You were right! I'm pretty predictable, I guess!

I just learned that Ibis' founder Scot Nichol hails from Berkeley! I always assumed he was a Marin boy. Nope, he grew up in Berkeley and only ended up in Marin later on. There's a great interview with him on YT by "Mo & Hannah," a van life couple that leads a pretty damn nice life of riding sweet trails in some of the best places in the country. Jealous!

Which Ibis do you own? Any of their stuff (save for their URT bikes) are prized possessions, for sure.
Didn't know that about Scot Nichol - cool!

I had a Mojo SL which got stolen so I replaced it with a Mojo SL-R. I still enjoy being on 26" tires because it's a bit more nimble and reminds me of my bmx days. My wife has a Ripley LS which I occasionally ride as well. I still miss my original Mojo and have never quite gotten my replacement SL-R setup to be quite as much fun, despite the fact that the shocks and groupset are far superior. The first time I rode the Mojo I knew it was right for me and have never felt like I needed to go outside the brand but at this point I have no doubt that there are any other number of awesome bikes out there that could be perfect for someone. I think the DW-link is a big part of that and assume that's part of why your wife's Spark is so great.

Unfortunately having young kids has greatly reduced my trail-riding opportunity. I would love to get the new Ripmo but it's way more bike than I need. When I get out it's generally Tamarancho or China Camp, so I would probably be fine with a 29er hardtail.

Once silver lining of COVID is that my little kids went from not even being on training wheels to being pretty decent little bike riders so perhaps in a few years they will be riding trails with me and Mrs. U2S.
dimitrig

You know you went to Berkeley when your bike costs more than your car.

burritos
Damn. I have a 2003 dual suspension gary fisher sugar 2+. Went biking with a new partner. I noticed that he had a 1 ring crankshaft. I learned that a 2 ring crankshaft is already obsolete as I am still biking with my 3 ring crankshaft with 26.5 inch wheels. Still managed to climb up steep inclines that he pushed, but for the most part he was crushing me up hills on his yeti. Then I had a realization that metaphorically I have a flip phone while everyone else is tooling around on their 5th or 6th iteration of smartphone.
TandemBear
burritos said:

Damn. I have a 2003 dual suspension gary fisher sugar 2+. Went biking with a new partner. I noticed that he had a 1 ring crankshaft. I learned that a 2 ring crankshaft is already obsolete as I am still biking with my 3 ring crankshaft with 26.5 inch wheels. Still managed to climb up steep inclines that he pushed, but for the most part he was crushing me up hills on his yeti. Then I had a realization that metaphorically I have a flip phone while everyone else is tooling around on their 5th or 6th iteration of smartphone.
Flip phone? RETROGROUCH!!!

At least you're on a fullie. I'm still on a 26" Ti hardtail, so I have you beat there. But a flip phone? Wowzers!

Yes, the front derailleur has been officially relegated to the trash bin of history in the mountain bike industry. I still laugh when I look at 52 teeth large cogs in back! But it's a pretty good evolution in many ways. Greater simplicity; eliminates an entire derailleur, shifter, cabling and chainring(s). On the negative side, you do miss closer gear ratios of a double or triple. Kinda ironic that mountain bikes were just hitting 30 speeds or "gears" (My hardtail is 3X9 = 27) and then the industry decided to go another direction and actually reduce the number of gears significantly. (And yes, there's overlap, and you never had a "full" 21, 24, or 27 speeds anyway. But you still had more.)

RIP Fisher bicycles. Boo,hoo. I hate Trek for all the brands they killed. Klein bicycles were what I really drooled over in the beginning. I had to "settle" for a Cannondale. Bontrager was another Santa Cruz institution (which I totally forgot to mention earlier - for shame!) that Trek gobbled up and spit out. Trek still uses the brand for OEM components, but it's nothing like what it used to be. Rolf wheels too I think. And then Gary Fisher. That that brand was discontinued is a complete travesty. Just a shame.

It would be nice for Gary to get the brand back like Nichol re-acquired Ibis and rebuilt the brand. Better than ever now. But given the entrance of so many other brands over the last ten years, there really isn't much room, in my opinion. I don't know how all these brands can stay afloat.

Hang onto that Fisher. When your grand kids join you around the fire, you can tell stories about this eccentric (and REALLY fast) Marin bike rider who invented the mountain bike with a bunch of other Marin Ne'er-do-wells and created a completely new bicycle segment.

Everyone should know that finding quality 26" tires is getting harder and harder. The selection continues to shrink. The industry is practically forcing all the old mountain bikes off the trail by abandoning the production of replacement parts.
Unit2Sucks
TandemBear said:

Everyone should know that finding quality 26" tires is getting harder and harder. The selection continues to shrink. The industry is practically forcing all the old mountain bikes off the trail by abandoning the production of replacement parts.
Not gonna lie, I'm sitting on a stockpile of quality 26" tires which probably has factored into my decision to stick with my 26er for a while longer.
rkt88edmo
lololol

I thought 650B would be too big for my small size kids as they hit their first adult bikes. It's amazing what they've done with geometry and design.

Gave up my trektrager - Professor Keith's love for the 1" threaded headset made it obsolete before it's time.
Gave up my lightspeed - 98 CC geometry just ain't working anymore for my fatbody lol I can do without having to crank my neck up to see and having my thighs slap my belly lol
Picked up an old fully rigid Surly Instigator that I guy has built up with 1x11 - I love my low gearing so I swapped to a 30t chainring. I think my top speed on flat land spins out at 16mph, but I can still climb climb climb...

On the lookout for a FS ride...but at these prices, yeah, I'm gonna end up buying my daughter a car first...
rkt88edmo
TandemBear said:

I can see why the high end bikes might be justified...but you used to be able to buy a mid end hardtail for $800 and a mid end FS for $2k - both of those things seem like they should be cheaper now it just makes my brain hurt.

The worst pain I ever had biking was after a day at china camp from the handlebar beating the crap out of my hands while I was squeezing my cantis for all they were worth to keep from bombing out of control...
burritos
TandemBear said:

burritos said:

Flip phone? RETROGROUCH!!!

At least you're on a fullie. I'm still on a 26" Ti hardtail, so I have you beat there. But a flip phone? Wowzers!

Yes, the front derailleur has been officially relegated to the trash bin of history in the mountain bike industry. I still laugh when I look at 52 teeth large cogs in back! But it's a pretty good evolution in many ways. Greater simplicity; eliminates an entire derailleur, shifter, cabling and chainring(s). On the negative side, you do miss closer gear ratios of a double or triple. Kinda ironic that mountain bikes were just hitting 30 speeds or "gears" (My hardtail is 3X9 = 27) and then the industry decided to go another direction and actually reduce the number of gears significantly. (And yes, there's overlap, and you never had a "full" 21, 24, or 27 speeds anyway. But you still had more.)

RIP Fisher bicycles. Boo,hoo. I hate Trek for all the brands they killed. Klein bicycles were what I really drooled over in the beginning. I had to "settle" for a Cannondale. Bontrager was another Santa Cruz institution (which I totally forgot to mention earlier - for shame!) that Trek gobbled up and spit out. Trek still uses the brand for OEM components, but it's nothing like what it used to be. Rolf wheels too I think. And then Gary Fisher. That that brand was discontinued is a complete travesty. Just a shame.

It would be nice for Gary to get the brand back like Nichol re-acquired Ibis and rebuilt the brand. Better than ever now. But given the entrance of so many other brands over the last ten years, there really isn't much room, in my opinion. I don't know how all these brands can stay afloat.

Hang onto that Fisher. When your grand kids join you around the fire, you can tell stories about this eccentric (and REALLY fast) Marin bike rider who invented the mountain bike with a bunch of other Marin Ne'er-do-wells and created a completely new bicycle segment.

Thanks for that. This post made my day.
Calcupcakes
Been loving MTB since the 90s. My young girls have cool full suspension Santa Cruz and front suspension modern bikes. I'm still rocking a 26" rigid steel Salsa with thumb shifters. Still an upgrade from the single-speed before that.

But dropper post is a must. Don't ask if you old-timers don't know. Just get one.

Will look into that Ibis if the stock market continues to climb post Jan 20.
TandemBear
Calcupcakes said:

Been loving MTB since the 90s. My young girls have cool full suspension Santa Cruz and front suspension modern bikes. I'm still rocking a 26" rigid steel Salsa with thumb shifters. Still an upgrade from the single-speed before that.

But dropper post is a must. Don't ask if you old-timers don't know. Just get one.

Will look into that Ibis if the stock market continues to climb post Jan 20.
Us old timers use Hite-Rites!!!

Ha, ha! A friend just pointed me to a 27.2mm dropper on Amazon for $115 and says it's solid. May have to finally give it a go.
burritos
Any thoughts on polygon bikes from Indonesia? Dual suspension frames come out of Taiwan. Australians like them fwiw. Been eyeing the Siskiu D7:
https://www.bikesonline.com/2021-polygon-siskiu-d7-dual-suspension-mountain-bi?gclid=Cj0KCQiAqo3-BRDoARIsAE5vnaKO-k-4OEObJ4qjOjmAwpdo83lwmfnPzFN5J_XFyiDbGPQTApdkZWkaArpYEALw_wcB
TandemBear
burritos said:

Any thoughts on polygon bikes from Indonesia? Dual suspension frames come out of Taiwan. Australians like them fwiw. Been eyeing the Siskiu D7:
https://www.bikesonline.com/2021-polygon-siskiu-d7-dual-suspension-mountain-bi?gclid=Cj0KCQiAqo3-BRDoARIsAE5vnaKO-k-4OEObJ4qjOjmAwpdo83lwmfnPzFN5J_XFyiDbGPQTApdkZWkaArpYEALw_wcB
Sorry, cannot comment. I've heard the name as of late, but know nothing about the brand. One thing that I'd be wary of is questionable carbon layup, quality, QA/QC protocol. There's a LOT of knock-off stuff out there. Lots of crazy stories of frames snapping in half hitting a hard pothole or rock. This is why I (think I) mentioned Leuscher Technik because he objectively evaluates carbon production techniques & quality. At least as far as I can tell!

Try some of the usual forums:

https://forums.mtbr.com/custom-builders-other-manufacturers/who-else-rides-polygon-1155793.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/mountain-biking/1211341-polygon-siskiu-d7.html
You're entitled to your wrong opinion!
burritos
TandemBear said:

burritos said:

Sorry, cannot comment. I've heard the name as of late, but know nothing about the brand. One thing that I'd be wary of is questionable carbon layup, quality, QA/QC protocol. There's a LOT of knock-off stuff out there. Lots of crazy stories of frames snapping in half hitting a hard pothole or rock. This is why I (think I) mentioned Leuscher Technik because he objectively evaluates carbon production techniques & quality. At least as far as I can tell!

https://forums.mtbr.com/custom-builders-other-manufacturers/who-else-rides-polygon-1155793.html

I've never heard of them either. Kurt Sorge won the 2015 and 2018 Red Bull Rampage run on a Polygon. The one he won the 2015 on costs $4600. So not even the eye popping 12k that people will drop for a top of the line bike. I suppose you paid someone enough, they'll ride junk. You can fast forward to the 45 second mark to see the Polygon brand pop up.

burritos
burritos said:

TandemBear said:

burritos said:

I've never heard of them either. Kurt Sorge won the 2015 and 2018 Red Bull Rampage run on a Polygon. The one he won the 2015 on cost $4600. So not even the eye popping 12k that people will drop for a top of the line bike. I suppose if you paid(or sponsored) someone enough, they'll ride junk. You can fast forward to the 45 second mark to see the Polygon brand pop up.

SoCalie
OK, that was incredibly difficult to watch. To say that it is anxiety-inducing is an understatement!
TandemBear
SoCalie said:

OK, that was incredibly difficult to watch. To say that it is anxiety-inducing is an understatement!
Yes, complete insanity! Love the beginning where he's on the hogback and the viewer assumes his path continues straight... NOPE! Right turn into the abyss!

Taking riding to several levels beyond insane. So much exposure and chances to die!

Rode St. George & Hurricane a couple of years ago, but not like THAT! Not by a long shot!

That said, the southwest is a pretty amazing place to ride. (And hike. Angel's Landing in Zion is somewhat similarly crazy.)
burritos
TandemBear said:

SoCalie said:

Yes, complete insanity! Love the beginning where he's on the hogback and the viewer assumes his path continues straight... NOPE! Right turn into the abyss!

Taking riding to several levels beyond insane. So much exposure and chances to die!

Rode St. George & Hurricane a couple of years ago, but not like THAT! Not by a long shot!

That said, the southwest is a pretty amazing place to ride. (And hike. Angel's Landing in Zion is somewhat similarly crazy.)
The question is that does this demonstration assuage the anxiety of this "unknown" brand.
TandemBear
burritos said:

TandemBear said:

SoCalie said:

The question is that does this demonstration assuage the anxiety of this "unknown" brand.
Not necessarily. Who knows who actually built the frame he competed on. Like the "Huffys" in the 1984 Olymics, they were NOT built by Huffy. Plus, the industry relies on four big producers and it's likely one of them are producing frames for Polygon. But there are third-party outliers producing carbon for the industry that has a very checkered history relating to quality. Carbon layup is not a simple matter. It's much more difficult than welding steel or aluminum tubes, a technology that has been around forever. Voids in the carbon layers can significantly affect the structural integrity and cause failures. Again, Leuscher Technik's investigations can reveal shortcomings in carbon production.

It's really up to how the company approaches the production of their frames. If they're concerned with quality and durability, they'll pay the higher costs associated with better production methods the big producers utilize. If they're focusing mainly on gaining market share in a crowded industry, then they may cut corners to save money. In general, you get what you pay for with carbon.
burritos
TandemBear said:

burritos said:

TandemBear said:

SoCalie said:

Not necessarily. Who knows who actually built the frame he competed on. Like the "Huffys" in the 1984 Olymics, they were NOT built by Huffy. Plus, the industry relies on four big producers and it's likely one of them are producing frames for Polygon. But there are third-party outliers producing carbon for the industry that has a very checkered history relating to quality. Carbon layup is not a simple matter. It's much more difficult than welding steel or aluminum tubes, a technology that has been around forever. Voids in the carbon layers can significantly affect the structural integrity and cause failures. Again, Leuscher Technik's investigations can reveal shortcomings in carbon production.

It's really up to how the company approaches the production of their frames. If they're concerned with quality and durability, they'll pay the higher costs associated with better production methods the big producers utilize. If they're focusing mainly on gaining market share in a crowded industry, then they may cut corners to save money. In general, you get what you pay for with carbon.
Fair point. I'm planning on getting new dual suspension aluminum(not carbon) with them. Even aluminum at the LBS start at the low 3000's. So I've decided going to roll the dice on their siskiu D7 model. While I MTB a good amount, I'm not an bike aficionado and I suspect/hope it's going to be good enough for me.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.