We are 0-3 and looking at 0-5, Wilcox is on the hot seat next year

15,131 Views | 111 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by calumnus
Strykur
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Unless we beat Oregon (beating Washington State means nothing) the heat is on. ***le needs to be fired tonight, what is the point of his recruiting if he can't even correct overload penetration on an extra point that had already resulted in a blocked kick.
StillNoStanfurdium
Strykur said:

Unless we beat Oregon (beating Washington State means nothing) the heat is on. ***le needs to be fired tonight, what is the point of his recruiting if he can't even correct overload penetration on an extra point that had already resulted in a blocked kick.
Our Special Teams needs a change immediately. I think Wilcox has rope left since it's such a weird season but people should demand to see change at ST immediately. I don't think you can chalk that up to COVID weirdness. It's just ineptitude.
westcoast101
StillNoStanfurdium said:

Strykur said:

Our Special Teams needs a change immediately. I think Wilcox has rope left since it's such a weird season but people should demand to see change at ST immediately. I don't think you can chalk that up to COVID weirdness. It's just ineptitude.

Last year, everyone was saying that we just needed to dump Baldwin and everything would be fine. Our offense looks like dog crap this year. Maybe the coordinators aren't the problem?
Goobear
Fans overreact...Players...not so much...
89Bear
Honestly, I could see Wilcox not wanting to come back.
MinnieSteve
Some of Musgrave's 3 runs and out really amaze me.

Hey Bill, 3 yards and a cloud of dust means we punt on 4th down..
Strykur
89Bear said:

He's signed through 2023, what would he be doing then exactly?
Northside91
Strykur said:

When Cal fans say things like this, the AD is actually thinking about a contract extension. Something about integrity, sound bites, being on the right track, feeling lucky to have him and intermittent fasting.
MinnieSteve
To my knowledge, Wilcox hasn't fumbled or thrown an interception once this year.
PTownYogi
Underwhelmed by season 4 of the Wilcox era.
Northside91
MinnieSteve said:

To my knowledge, Wilcox hasn't fumbled or thrown an interception once this year.

Sorry. Forgot about this old chestnut. This too.
89Bear
Strykur said:

89Bear said:

Heading to a program that can win???
calumnus
westcoast101 said:

StillNoStanfurdium said:

Strykur said:

Last year, everyone was saying that we just needed to dump Baldwin and everything would be fine. Our offense looks like dog crap this year. Maybe the coordinators aren't the problem?

Firing a bad hire who produced the worst offense in the league and among the worst in the nation three years in a row was long overdue but it does not automatically mean your next hire will be a good one. These are Wilcox's first offensive hires ever. Wish he would look outside of Oregon and Washington for candidates.
StarsDoMatter
Strykur said:

We are going 0-5 this year.
dimitrig

Naw, this season means nothing. It probably should not have even been played.
calumnus
89Bear said:

Strykur said:

89Bear said:

He would have to be hired by one. Guys with 10-23 conference records are not usually hot commodities but if "a program that can win" paid his buyout and hired him away I would not be too upset except that Knowlton would just go with the search firm again.
calumnus
dimitrig said:

Naw, this season means nothing. It probably should not have even been played.

Yeah, you are right. Thanks for the perspective.
OdontoBear66
Northside91 said:

Strykur said:

When Cal fans say things like this, the AD is actually thinking about a contract extension. Something about integrity, sound bites, being on the right track, feeling lucky to have him and intermittent fasting.
Could not agree more, even in light of today's debacle.
89Bear
calumnus said:

89Bear said:

Strykur said:

89Bear said:

Defensive coordinator at LSU?

He would have to be hired by one. Guys with 10-23 conference records are not usually hot commodities but if "a program that can win" paid his buyout and hired him away I would not be too upset except that Knowlton would just go with the search firm again.
BearoutEast67
Wilcox is safe. Special teams needs a change. Watching our DL fade in the second half with no substitutions, for the umpteenth game, I again ask where are all our nose guards?!
Donate to Cal's NIL at https://calegends.com/donation/
Trumpanzee
Should have gone for 2 instead of 1, at least we could say we were playing for the win.....
sycasey
I doubt anyone is getting fired on account of this weird season.
62bear
Trumpanzee said:

Should have gone for 2 instead of 1, at least we could say we were playing for the win.....
Even if you don't actually go for 2, this kind of blatant overload is why stupid college fb stuff like the swinging gate xp formation exists. Just a laughable way to lose the game.
FloriDreaming
"Sure, Wilcox is having a dumpster fire of a season. Yeah, his recruiting class will take a big hit from this likely 0-win season, Yeah, his ST hire is a complete disaster and Wilcox will never win more than 7 games in a regular season when things go his way, much less get Cal to a Rose Bowl...

bUt At LeaST wE dOn'T HavE sONnY dYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYkEEEEEEEEEssssssss -

YYYYYYEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!"
oski003
The play calling was fine. hard to win a ball control game when you fumble, muff a punt and lose the ball, and have two kicks blocked.

Cal lost by one point besides the turnovers, poor special teams, lack of practice, and missing linemen.

It is not the offensive play calling that lost the game. I observed bad play calling against UCLA, mediocre play calling against OSU, and good play calling today.
wifeisafurd
sycasey said:

I think you may see movement, but not at the head coach level. Musgrave needs an opportunity to implement his offense, Sirmon was hit by 2020 weirdness, TDR is a known commodity, the DBs are not to blame, the dine coach is a great recruiter and if Brett Johnson is an example, knows how to develop players, and the young oline look better than they should being thrown in there. The RB coach has developed depth. TEs and WRs really improving. Let's see, whose left out?
wifeisafurd
BearoutEast67 said:

Wilcox is safe. Special teams needs a change. Watching our DL fade in the second half with no substitutions, for the umpteenth game, I again ask where are all our nose guards?!
You were watching a different game. I didn't see the dline fade. I saw Furd punting the ball a lot. Furd has 95 yards rushing for the freaking entire game with a good portion occurring in the first half (btw compared to 245 yards of rushing for Cal, too bad we wore their line down only to make stupid mistakes). They sacked Mills four times. Twice in the fourth quarter. They played a great game. Furd had its lowest yards total for the season. There may be other excuses, but the dline fading is not one of them.
kirklandblue
For my part, I'll reiterate what has already been said by some here:
Wilcox is not, nor should be on any temperature of hot seat;
This is an asterisk season, any significant program decisions should always be based on non-asterisk seasons.
heartofthebear
Trumpanzee said:

Nope.
The problem with that was that Furd had enough time to get into FG range and they would only be behind by 1 point so they could win with that FG. You go for 2 if it assures a win or establishes a tie needed to extend the game. You don't do it otherwise.

What Cal needed to do there was execute one of the most basic high percentage plays in football, the freakin' xtra point kick. They just couldn't get it done.

To think most folks were lamenting that covid ruined a potential rose bowl season for Cal.

Actually we're lucky to have covid to blame for what will hopefully be a season that, the memory of which, will be wiped out by a better campaign next year.
StarsDoMatter
kirklandblue said:

For my part, I'll reiterate what has already been said by some here:
Wilcox is not, nor should be on any temperature of hot seat;
This is an asterisk season, any significant program decisions should always be based on non-asterisk seasons.

Wilcox is getting paid $615,000 a game this year. Every year matters, even this one.
calumnus
89Bear said:

calumnus said:

89Bear said:

Strykur said:

89Bear said:

?
Defensive coordinator at LSU?

Not sure LSU is looking. He makes 2-3 times what LSU pays coordinators, but if that is what he wants to do.
Golden One
That just might be a blessing. We're back to Holmoe-level awfulness. At least Holmoe won one game in his worst year. Wilcox us now staring 0-6 in the face. Our easiest 3 games are behind us, and all were losses.
Chapman_is_Gone
It's amazing how much noise about 20 non-representative Cal fans can make on this board, the same types of Cal fans found aplenty in the gameday threads. Their venting is comical. And they frequently say the most effed up things about the program and the players in those threads. It's too bad the daylight never shines on their identities.

These folks are actually suggesting that Wilcox should have gone for two instead of attempting an extra point to tie the game. Can you IMAGINE the uproar had Wilcox done that and failed?

Wilcox will prove to be an excellent coach, and Cal is lucky to have him. These games shouldn't even be being played. These games reveal that our cultural priorities are out of order.

It's funny, when Cal goes out and hires Wyking Jones, a completely unqualified coach, a move that announces to the world that Cal is unwilling to spend what it takes to compete with its conference peers and sets the basketball program back AT LEAST five years, there was relatively little outcry. And now, most people seem content when the program returns to some ridiculously low bar like 9th place.

People are weird.
calumnus
heartofthebear said:

Trumpanzee said:

Nope.
The problem with that was that Furd had enough time to get into FG range and they would only be behind by 1 point so they could win with that FG. You go for 2 if it assures a win or establishes a tie needed to extend the game. You don't do it otherwise.

What Cal needed to do there was execute one of the most basic high percentage plays in football, the freakin' xtra point kick. They just couldn't get it done.

To think most folks were lamenting that covid ruined a potential rose bowl season for Cal.

Actually we're lucky to have covid to blame for what will hopefully be a season that, the memory of which, will be wiped out by a better campaign next year.

I was surprised at our taking low percentage shots at the end zone from midfield instead of continuing to march downfield eating clock for a final score. It is true that Shaw likely plays for the tie too.

However, given how Stanford overloaded one side, call time out and set up the fake FG run the opposite side for the win if they try it again.
Golden One
wifeisafurd said:

sycasey said:

I think you may see movement, but not at the head coach level. Musgrave needs an opportunity to implement his offense, Sirmon was hit by 2020 weirdness, TDR is a known commodity, the DBs are not to blame, the dine coach is a great recruiter and if Brett Johnson is an example, knows how to develop players, and the young oline look better than they should being thrown in there. The RB coach has developed depth. TEs and WRs really improving. Let's see, whose left out?
Wife, you're a perennial optimist and the best excuse-maker on the board. Face it, we have a bad football team that lost to another bad team today. We define the absolute bottom of the pac-12.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.