Story Poster
Photo by Cal Athletics
Cal Basketball

Amorrow Morgan Joins Bears As Assistant Coach

April 20, 2023

BERKELEY – Amorrow Morgan, an up-and-coming star in the coaching ranks who helped lead Loyola Chicago to an NCAA Tournament appearance in 2021-22, has joined the California men’s basketball program as an assistant coach, head coach Mark Madsen announced Thursday.

A well-respected leader with 10 years of collegiate coaching experience, Morgan arrives in Bear Territory following two seasons spent at Loyola Chicago (2021-23), where he helped the Ramblers win 35 total games and capture the 2021-22 Missouri Valley Conference title in addition to its NCAA Tournament berth. Morgan’s previous stints include South Alabama and Nicholls State, among others.

“Amorrow has a deep knowledge of the game and has elevated every program he’s been a part of,” Madsen said. “He has strong relationships across the country and his passion for leading young men in both life and basketball is going to boost our program’s culture immediately. I’m elated to welcome Amorrow and his wife, Michelle, to the Cal family.”

Morgan was instrumental in the development of 2022 MVC Defensive Player of the Year and All-MVC first-team selection Lucas Williamson, as well as five other all-conference honorees in his two seasons with the Ramblers. In three seasons (2018-21) on staff at South Alabama – the latter two in which he held the title of associate head coach – Morgan aided the Jaguars in winning 54 games, including a 20-win season in 2019-20.

Prior to his time at South Alabama, Morgan was an assistant coach at Nicholls State, where he helped the Colonels to a share of the 2017-18 Southland Conference title and their most wins (21) since 1995. He played a key role in Roddy Peters earning the Southland Conference’s Newcomer of the Year award. Morgan’s coaching career started at the University of Illinois-Springfield in 2013-14 before he moved on to Our Lady of the Lake University in San Antonio, Texas, where he helped guide the Saints to a 25-6 record, the Red River Conference regular-season crown and a trip to the NAIA round of 16. Before heading to Nicholls State, Morgan enjoyed a two-year term as an assistant at Henderson State.

“I’m extremely fired up and thankful to join Coach Madsen and the Cal family,” Morgan said. “Coach Madsen has won wherever he’s been; he’s a proven winner as a player and no different as a head coach. His energy is contagious and he knows how to bring the best out of everyone in his program. I’m excited to work with and learn from him daily. Cal basketball has a rich and growing tradition, and I’m ready to help our student-athletes and this program achieve at the highest level both on and off the court. Go Bears!”

Morgan is a 2012 graduate of Idaho State, where he earned a degree in sport management and was a two-time All-Big Sky guard. He was one of just 19 players in Idaho State history to earn multiple all-conference honors and was a three-year team captain before moving onto a three-year professional playing career in Europe, which included a season as the top scorer for the SC Itzehoe Eagles in Germany. He also has a master’s degree in public administration from Illinois-Springfield.

Morgan is a native of Memphis, Tennessee, and is married to the former Michelle Bailey.

Related:

Matt Scherbenske Named Assistant Coach

Madsen Tabs Adam Mazarei As Associate Head Coach

Madsen Getting Close to Rounding Out His Staff

Discussion from...

Amorrow Morgan Joins Bears As Assistant Coach

4,032 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by KoreAmBear
BearHunter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Along with Mad Dog, I have a feeling that this coach is going to help Cal get to the next level.

Monster pick up.
KoreAmBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
South Alabama? I guess he coached Don Coleman?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.