cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,231,512 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BearGreg
jyamada
How long do you want to ignore this user?
NVBear78;842333249 said:

Yes, that is very debatable beginning with the fact that Republican votes pushed through LBJ's Civil Rights Act when Southern Democrats were blocking it.

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 wasn't decided by political party lines but by the Mason Dixon line.
R.Hobbs
jyamada;842333311 said:

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 wasn't decided by political party lines but by the Mason Dixon line.

great read on the subject : AN IDEA WHOSE TIME HAS COME by Todd Purdum
socaltownie
tuckerbear1;842333202 said:

Depends on how you define left. The New England Republicans were quite socially liberal in the 60's and 70's. The South was nearly all Democrat but a very different breed of Dem than we have today. LBJ, a Texas Dem, was far more socially liberal than JFK. California was no where near as "liberal" as it is today.

Labels are dull. The great thing about the current younger generation is they don't even think about color. Maybe one of these days we can retire the political animosity where 2 labels are supposed to define the entire populace and the polarization that comes with it.

Lots of really good sociology and political science over the past 20-30 years on this issue of sorting (both of voters, population, and politicians/parties). The "fun" (as with Shocky, I have a twisted definition of it) conversation at your next BBQ is whether with such a situation the US would be better off with a Westminster Parliamentarian form of government rather then the current system that provides so much "veto power" for small factions within each now much more cohesive party.
tequila4kapp
tuckerbear1;842333202 said:

The great thing about the current younger generation is they don't even think about color.

The other day my 9 year old son was playing with a group of friends, one of whom is AA. Something happened in the group where one of the kids did something. I asked my son which kid did whatever. He said something like "the one with long hair", which was the AA kid. It honestly warmed my heart that he didn't even think race.

That little moment of social progress aside, can we get back to pictures of women who choose to wear almost no clothes in public and gratuitous proclomations around 50 year decisions?
calumnus
NVBear78;842333249 said:

Yes, that is very debatable beginning with the fact that Republican votes pushed through LBJ's Civil Rights Act when Southern Democrats were blocking it.

The party makeup in the South before Nixon's Southern strategy reflected the divisions of the Civil War and Reconstruction especially racially--Southern whites were mostly Democrats and Southern Blacks were mostly Republicans. It was Federal Democratic intervention, especially the Civil Rights Act, pushed by the majority of the Democratic Party (mostly Northern, but also importantly President LBJ from Texas) and Northern Republicans, and then Nixon's courting of southern white discontent from it for the Republican Party ("blaming" the Democrats for desegregation) that caused racists like Strom Thurman and Jesse Helms to switch parties and become Republicans stalwarts and Andrew Young and Jesse Jackson to switch parties and become Democrats.

Since that time, especially with the Tea Party, the Republican Party has become increasingly white and Southern. The South is now the reddest of the red states.
bearmanpg
How do you explain Senator Robert Byrd being a Democrat as well as a recruiter for the KKK?
jyamada
bearmanpg;842333434 said:

How do you explain Senator Robert Byrd being a Democrat as well as a recruiter for the KKK?

Byrd appears to have been associated with the KKK early in his life and I doubt his beliefs changed too much over the course of his life. He did renounce some of the positions he took on the Civil Rights act and the KKK later in his life. He probably remained a democrat because he had been one for a number of years and would retain his seniority and power if he remained a democrat. According to Wikipedia, he steered quite a bit of federal money to his home state.
mikecohen
bearmanpg;842333434 said:

The central clarity that led to the first self-evident truth of the Declaration of Independence, and, over time, to the gradual elimination of slavery (first in England), then to the abolitionist/humanist literature of the 19th Century (Uncle Tom's Cabin - Tom Sawyer - etc.) was the realization that the "inferior" races were really the same humans as everybody else. I suppose it's pretty interesting to see how it is that each person, over time, (to the extent that insight has triumphed in our society) has come to that insight, in many cases having to overcome the most deeply held religious views (i.e., that such invidious characterizations were established by God), and perhaps as interesting to see why it has not yet happened to everyone (although such views are, officially, deeply unpopular at this point); but it has happened to individuals here with actually astounding regularity and even acceleration; and Senator Byrd, and many others (such as Supreme Court Justice Hugo Black, one of the leading integrationists on the Warren Court, who was a KKK member in his Alabama youth) underwent that transformation here in the giant wave of the civil rights movement, and before then for many. One could even see something of such transformation in George Wallace and Strom Thurmond, both of whom renounced racism late in life (FWIW). Also FWIW, I have always credited Capitalism for being one of the main engines of the civil rights movement because, over time, it eventually created a large and wealthy (and educated) enough black middle class who (because of those real elements of real power) really could not be moved; and I see the same thing at play in the recent triumph of the LGBT rights movement, because (once the moral stigma was defeated by science such that enough people were willing to assert that they were not evil) the amount of money, power, achievement, position, etc., among the members of that group was so formidable that even the deepest irrational prejudices could not be maintained in virtually any meaningful context. Now, as to the profoundly undemocratic (nay, oligarchical and autocratic) nature of transnational capitalism, I wonder to what extent those qualities tend to defeat the egalitarian opportunity that capitalism (say, at the time of the French Revolution, and as supported by the Commerce Clause and the First Amendment of the American Constitution) originally offered.
BeachedBear
tequila4kapp;842333335 said:

The other day my 9 year old son was playing with a group of friends, one of whom is AA. Something happened in the group where one of the kids did something. I asked my son which kid did whatever. He said something like "the one with long hair", which was the AA kid. It honestly warmed my heart that he didn't even think race.

That little moment of social progress aside, can we get back to pictures of women who choose to wear almost no clothes in public and gratuitous proclomations around 50 year decisions?

At first glance, I was thinking substance abuse at 9??? :p

And now... back to Shocky's blog.......

:beer:
HoopDreams
what are YOU doing this summer?

these men are grinding

NYCGOBEARS
HoopDreams;842333606 said:

these men are grinding

I switched to light beer and lost 10 lbs.
jyamada
NYCGOBEARS;842333607 said:

I switched to light beer and lost 10 lbs.

I quit drinking soda and lost 10 pounds.
Bobodeluxe
HoopDreams;842333606 said:

I think they should be looking for the rest of Green Shoes legs.

Will his feet even reach the ground?
89Bear
jyamada;842333612 said:

I quit drinking soda and lost 10 pounds.

I picked this week to stop sniffing glue
Hope I don't jinx us!
Shocky1
welcome dwight tarwater, a 6'6" 230 lbs blue collar bruiser, from cornell who will join the bears bb team for 1 season with immediate eligibility & enroll as a grad student in cal's school of public health despite have never seen berkeley

dwight rocked a 3.9 gpa at the academically rigorous webb school in knoxville along with a 23.2 ppg & 10.1 rpg...yeah, it's true, he ain't a dumb azz

like ricky kreklow, tarwater has not been a particularly accurate shooter, his strengths are rebounding (a team high 5.5 rpg last season) & muscular interior d support

"i've known that i've wanted to go to cal for a while (particularly when i read the monster class thread and saw the kind of girls that are attracted to cal basketball players)...i actually just received my letter of acceptance today"

"coach martin looked at a lot of (cornell) games this year when we played a lot of high majors and thought i performed really well against those types of teams...i wanted a spot where i could continue to grow as a player and a person (which pretty much ruled out dana altman & oregon)"

"everything (cuonzo) told me was unbelievable...he preaches family and hard work...i want to go in and do anything for my teammates and coaches...this is my last go around so i'm going to leave everything out there and play my hardest"

-dwight tarwater

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including tennessee)
ibelieveNyou
Hey, in reading who should or shouldn't get a scholly - Well, looking back and understanding what was printed in the newspapers LOS ANGELES TIMES & DAILY BREEZE Nick Hamilton's position is that he is bringing a GATES MILLENNIUM SCHOLARSHIP - so all he needs is to make the team. His academic education is paid for.

IT'S CALLED AN OPPORTUNITY! NO PROMISES, JUST AN OPPORTUNITY - AND ALL ELSE WILL TAKE CARE OF ITSELF...
Shocky1

nick hamilton is always reaching for the stars as the 6'4" 185 lbs westchester hs 2nd team all city (los angeles) star turned down ucla for the opportunity to be a recruited walk on for the california golden bears next season...10 ppg, 9 rpg & 3 apg for a highly balanced comets team that lost to mater dei in the open division 1 finals

nick rocked a weighted 4.2 gpa & is a recipient of a highly coveted gates millennium scholarship which will pay his full college tuition...nick's last non a grade was in 4th grade

"it came down to what school i would most regret not going to" in explaining his decision for cal over ucla

"he was the heart and soul of our team...every day in practice and every game, he gave 100% on every play...if you didn't play hard, he'd call you out"

-ed azzam, westchester bb hc

dude is clutch too...check out this game winner with 7 seconds left...nick has got ice in his veins

nick's goal is to be become the california attorney general

nick hamilton=true student athlete=cal fit

cal>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ucla>>>>usc>>>>cal state earthquake>>san diego state>ged>oregon>prison
Shocky1
a hs bb source in so cal told me that:

"i've seen him play in both city league and aau basketball...he did his job as requested in city league bb but played out of position because no other player was willing...he was team co captain both years...before he's a player he's a true leader regardless of position...in the two years as a starter for the westchester comets he filled his role and at times exceeded it...he was the team's dominant rebounder most times and in his first years was the team's second leading scorer...he has the ability to shoot from the mid range and has worked on his three pointer...i saw him make 16 three pointers in a row in a practice game...has shown he can score when he has the green light to take the shot...his high game for city ball was 23 points, high rebounding 17...he is a double double player"

"nick in playing aau ball was even better...he had the green light most times, average in the high teens...he put together several games in the 17+ and several more in the 22+ range...when he wasn't scoring he was defending...not afraid to take on or challenge taller players...the unfortunate thing about the aau team, not enough press to showcase or talk about him because he was doing both aau ball and ucla vips program...sadder no official stats were kept but because i followed him and a few other players i kept some stats for the games i viewed"

"southern california/los angeles city coaches were aware of his defensive game...some saw him match up well against stanley johnson going over to arizona...others saw him play against uk's harrison twins...and others much taller"

"is he ready for pac 12 ball?...yes, he is the right conditioning and coaching he is ready but right now he is just trying to make the team...shortly thereafter he will ready to move on to real time on the court"

"nick at one time put together 9 games where he made all his free throws...his rebounding and put back skills are there...not afraid to take a change...will jump in the pile for the ball...he just needs a chance, he'll fly after that"

"looking forward to seeing him and the rest of the team"

calumnus
stu;842332849 said:

Shocky, the girl shots are pretty tame but those golf course photos are truly hard core. I hope you realize that:

1) The pictures you have linked are not typical of 90 to 95% of golf courses.

2) A host of social ills including obsessive behavior, odd attire, violence against small balls, excessive expenditures, and spousal neglect, just to name a few, have been conclusively shown to not only correlate with, but also to be caused by social norms that encourage the perception that a lower score is better.

3) Many of the pictures in this thread are likely to induce violations of workplace travel policies and could result in the termination or discipline of readers unable to resist the temptation.

My problem is the implication that going to Cal will result in playing said courses which will in turn result in a life fulfilled. The fact that 70 year old men often see the world that way is not an excuse.

:rollinglaugh: well played! :beer:
Shocky1
who are these california golden bears?

alan crabbe-3.3 gpa@price (currently playing w/portland trail blazers)
justin cobbs-3.39 gpa@bishop montgomery
richard solomon-3.5 gpa@price
jeff powers*-3.6 gpa@delasalle
ricky kreklow**-3.72 gpa@rocky bridge
david kravish-4.1 gpa@lee's summit north
tyrone wallace-3.5 gpa@bakersfield
christian behrens-3.5 gpa@tahoma
garrett galvin-4.0 gpa@torrey pines
jabari bird-3.0+gpa@salesian
jordan mathews-3.55 gpa@santa monica
sam singer-3.4 gpa@ransom everglades
kameron rooks-3.5 gpa@mission hills
roger moute a bidias-3.0+ gpa@notre dame
kingsley okoroh-3.0+ gpa@westwind prep/findlay prep
stephen domingo-3.4 gpa@st ignatius
brandon chauca-3.85 gpa@shannon forest christian school
cole welle-4.37 gpa@aptos
nick hamilton-4.2 gpa@westchester
brenden glapion-4.1 gpa@washington
dwight tarwater-3.9 gpa@webb school

*graduated from cal joining 2012 grads bak bak, brandon smith & robert thurman
**expected to graduate summer of 2014

cal fans can expect every player listed above to either leave cal with a degree and/or a nba contract...hopefully the bears' future nba players will eventually return to cal like former nba all star shareef abdur rahim, 3.8 gpa@cal, to graduate...both justin cobbs & richard solomon have one remaining semester of schoolwork necessary to earn their cal degrees

of the 300+ ncaa d1 bb teams, cal is among the most academically elite programs along with duke, stanford, the ivy leagues & the service academies

the above is the MOST IMPORTANT stat sheet in cal basketball

cal family#
50 yr decision#
this is cal basketball#

this is the difference between basketball factories that use up & then discard their workers (leaving them unemployable on the streets) and legitimate collegiate institutions of higher learning with an academic purpose

academic ambition

don't be a dumb azz#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world
Shocky1
took my fashionista daughters shay & taylor and their friends katie and carson (uncle jeff hornaceck played in the nba & is currently the phx suns head coach) to the antlers (indie band from brooklyn) concert tonite at the crescent ballroom in downtown phx

shaylor live music rules stipulate that i cannot stand by them unless they initiate such proximity to their dad

oh well

anyways, my favorite song was the hauntingly beautiful "palace" which is about a very personal & special place in your life that is filled with treasured memories, somewhere that is magical

as the song ended i realized that in many ways haas pavilion is my palace

what is your palace?
socaltownie
Here in the off season and as the Furd drop out struggles to make the cut at the Open it is time to reflect on just how amazing Jack Nicklaus (the Golden Bear - BtW)'s record for major victories is. I got his autograph one morning in Park City at a family restaurant. He had the brood skiing and, looking like every other father at one point or another, was going crazy as they were running all over the place. Made at the time this 9 year olds day ;-)
Vineyardview
20 questions every athlete should ask a prospective coach
CoachCal.com

By John Calipari on July 1, 2014

For the last couple of years, as we get ready to go on the road to recruit and evaluate student-athletes across the country, I like to put together what I call my annual recruiting manifesto. To help young people filter through everything that’s thrown at them during an especially exciting but difficult time in their lives, I like to bust myths they will hear on the recruiting trail.

New NCAA rules no longer limit the number of calls and texts student-athletes can receive, so they are now being barraged with calls from coaches “selling their program.” These athletes have to be ready when these calls and texts occur. This is their time to gather information.

Any recruit-able student-athlete, especially a high-level prospect, has to understand that this is a business decision, not an emotional one. Their future is at stake. The only way they can make a business decision is to be truly thorough in their approach. The more information they have that pertains to them and their situation, the better. Don’t let anybody convince you that it doesn’t matter where you go or who you play for. That’s just not true.

Having said that, I have formulated 20 questions that I would recommend any player, especially an elite-level athlete, ask a coach or a program so that he can gather the information to make a good business decision. At the end of the day, it’s about their personal development, not the program’s. Their success drives the program.

Keep in mind, every answer a coach gives from this list should be from the last five years or so. What happened 10 or more years ago is irrelevant.
1.Does your program offer multi-year (four-year) scholarships?
2.How many players have graduated from your program over the last four to five years?
3.How many players have graduated from your school and gone on to the NBA?
4.How many players have come back to finish school after they have left to pursue other dreams? Who pays for it?
5.How many of your players were insured through the disability program last season? If none were, why not?
6.What is your team grade-point average?
7.Where does your Academic Progress Rate retention rank among other schools?
8.What type of media training do you offer?
9.What kind of social media training program do you have in place? What are your social media policies?
10.How many double-figure scorers have you averaged in the last four to five years? If you only have one or two a year, what does that mean for me?
11.Have you ever coached anyone like me? If so, who?
12.How many McDonald’s All-Americans have you coached? How many of them went on to the NBA?
13.How have your teams fared with three or four McDonald’s All-Americans on the same team?
14.How many freshmen have you started within the last four to five years?
15.How many draft picks have you had over the last five years? How many drafted were not McDonald’s All-Americans? How many of the total were first-rounders and were any of them No. 1 draft picks during that time?
16.How many of those players have gone on to make the NBA All-Rookie team?
17.How many games will my family be able to watch on national television?
18.How many of your home games are sold out? How many of your road games are sold out?
19.How have you done in postseason play? Any Final Fours?
20.What is your core philosophy?
socaltownie
Vineyardview;842334512 said:

20 questions every athlete should ask a prospective coach
CoachCal.com

By John Calipari on July 1, 2014

For the last couple of years, as we get ready to go on the road to recruit and evaluate student-athletes across the country, I like to put together what I call my annual recruiting manifesto. To help young people filter through everything that's thrown at them during an especially exciting but difficult time in their lives, I like to bust myths they will hear on the recruiting trail.

New NCAA rules no longer limit the number of calls and texts student-athletes can receive, so they are now being barraged with calls from coaches "selling their program." These athletes have to be ready when these calls and texts occur. This is their time to gather information.

Any recruit-able student-athlete, especially a high-level prospect, has to understand that this is a business decision, not an emotional one. Their future is at stake. The only way they can make a business decision is to be truly thorough in their approach. The more information they have that pertains to them and their situation, the better. Don't let anybody convince you that it doesn't matter where you go or who you play for. That's just not true.

Having said that, I have formulated 20 questions that I would recommend any player, especially an elite-level athlete, ask a coach or a program so that he can gather the information to make a good business decision. At the end of the day, it's about their personal development, not the program's. Their success drives the program.

Keep in mind, every answer a coach gives from this list should be from the last five years or so. What happened 10 or more years ago is irrelevant.
1.Does your program offer multi-year (four-year) scholarships?
2.How many players have graduated from your program over the last four to five years?
3.How many players have graduated from your school and gone on to the NBA?
4.How many players have come back to finish school after they have left to pursue other dreams? Who pays for it?
5.How many of your players were insured through the disability program last season? If none were, why not?
6.What is your team grade-point average?
7.Where does your Academic Progress Rate retention rank among other schools?
8.What type of media training do you offer?
9.What kind of social media training program do you have in place? What are your social media policies?
10.How many double-figure scorers have you averaged in the last four to five years? If you only have one or two a year, what does that mean for me?
11.Have you ever coached anyone like me? If so, who?
12.How many McDonald's All-Americans have you coached? How many of them went on to the NBA?
13.How have your teams fared with three or four McDonald's All-Americans on the same team?
14.How many freshmen have you started within the last four to five years?
15.How many draft picks have you had over the last five years? How many drafted were not McDonald's All-Americans? How many of the total were first-rounders and were any of them No. 1 draft picks during that time?
16.How many of those players have gone on to make the NBA All-Rookie team?
17.How many games will my family be able to watch on national television?
18.How many of your home games are sold out? How many of your road games are sold out?
19.How have you done in postseason play? Any Final Fours?
20.What is your core philosophy?

Not surprisingly Calipari doesn't want to ask what SHOULD be the top questions Student athletes (or ANY college student with multiple options) should have toward the top of their list.

1) What sort of JOBS do the guys in your program get who do not go on to play professionally?
2) What companies come to your campus to recruit in the major/field of study I am interested in?
3) Does your school facilitate internships/practical options in the field of study I am interested in.
4) What relationships can I expect to have with faculty? Are they encouraged/rewarded for mentoring undergrads or is our presence a distraction from their core focus on research and publication? What does your program do to facilitate that interaction?
5) Can I choose any major/field of study or are my options limited because of the requirements of being a Student Athlete?

BTW - does anyone else find Calipari's focus once again pretty distorted in respect to college as an NBA finishing school? He really does live in a different world than 90%+ of most NCAA institutions.
Vineyardview
He intends to compete for the #1 ranking. It is obvious that you socaltownie do not consider that as important. The guys he is recruiting do not consider you questions relevant or connected to their future.

If you want to compete for the top prize you must come up with a different set of questions.
NVGolfingBear
socaltownie;842334517 said:

Not surprisingly Calipari doesn't want to ask what SHOULD be the top questions Student athletes (or ANY college student with multiple options) should have toward the top of their list.

1) What sort of JOBS do the guys in your program get who do not go on to play professionally?
2) What companies come to your campus to recruit in the major/field of study I am interested in?
3) Does your school facilitate internships/practical options in the field of study I am interested in.
4) What relationships can I expect to have with faculty? Are they encouraged/rewarded for mentoring undergrads or is our presence a distraction from their core focus on research and publication? What does your program do to facilitate that interaction?
5) Can I choose any major/field of study or are my options limited because of the requirements of being a Student Athlete?

BTW - does anyone else find Calipari's focus once again pretty distorted in respect to college as an NBA finishing school? He really does live in a different world than 90%+ of most NCAA institutions.

Nice response, socal. Notice that of the 20 questions by Calipari, questions 8 thru 20 are all about creating an NBA image and possible career. The earlier questions re: grad rates and GPA says nothing about the basket weaving major and the opportunities after school as you duly noted.

One torn ACL and those questions aren't worth much.
Vineyardview
NVGolfingBear - I'm not sure that I understand the purpose of your post. Are you sour grapeing that Cal hasn't effectively competed vs Calipari. Clearly his recruiting pitch is successful. What do you want our new coach and his assistants to do? Should they talk about academics or winning the NCAA title?
jyamada
NVGolfingBear;842334537 said:

Nice response, socal. Notice that of the 20 questions by Calipari, questions 8 thru 20 are all about creating an NBA image and possible career. The earlier questions re: grad rates and GPA says nothing about the basket weaving major and the opportunities after school as you duly noted.

One torn ACL and those questions aren't worth much.

The NBA questions may still be applicable.......Nerlens Noel tore his ACL or messed up his knee pretty badly and he still ended up being a lottery pick. Calipari gets the best high schoolers to sign with him......even when they get hurt, they still have a lot of potential.
Vineyardview
let's make the responses relevant to Cal. How should C Martin et al pitch #5 star talent so the University of California can compete for the NCAA title?
socaltownie
Vineyardview;842334536 said:

He intends to compete for the #1 ranking. It is obvious that you socaltownie do not consider that as important. The guys he is recruiting do not consider you questions relevant or connected to their future.

If you want to compete for the top prize you must come up with a different set of questions.

BAH!! I think that the brutal realities is that these kids are a medical issue away from managing the local Target. Look at the kid from Baylor. Undiagnosed medical condition that, once found, just made his athletic career go "poof". I think my questions are COMPLETELY relevant. Indeed, our new coach is proof positive that you better have plan B. No one PLANS on getting Non-Hodgkins but **** happens.
NVGolfingBear
Vineyardview;842334538 said:

NVGolfingBear - I'm not sure that I understand the purpose of your post. Are you sour grapeing that Cal hasn't effectively competed vs Calipari. Clearly his recruiting pitch is successful. What do you want our new coach and his assistants to do? Should they talk about academics or winning the NCAA title?

Just an observation Vine. It's pretty obvious that Calipari is recruiting NBA potentials while Cal would appeal to a player that recognizes other options in life. That's all.

I think if Martin put together a similar list as coach at Cal, the questions would be considerably different, with more along the lines of what socaltownie posted.
Shocky1
cuonzo martin & the bears bb staff are differentiating themselves from other programs by emphasizing the "cal family," the expected upward trajectory of results on the court & a world class education

that's a pretty unique & marketable combination on the west coast

coach cal is a slick salesman selling nba hoop dreams & an academic junior college level education with an almost worthless (outside of kentucky) diploma
Vineyardview
The 2015 and 2016 recruit classes will provide a clear indication whether elite basketball talent will appreciate and sign on to that "Cal Family and upward trajectory and world class education" pitch.

Can & Will Cuonzo sign classes comprised of consensus 5 an 4 star talent with that pitch?

One can hope!
mikecohen
Vineyardview;842334706 said:

The 2015 and 2016 recruit classes will provide a clear indication whether elite basketball talent will appreciate and sign on to that "Cal Family and upward trajectory and world class education" pitch.

Can & Will Cuonzo sign classes comprised of consensus 5 an 4 star talent with that pitch?

One can hope!

OR: Can Cuonzo create a class of perhaps somewhat less than ALL 5 and 4 star talent, but with other qualities that could nevertheless capture the big prize (perhaps with a similar basketball idea as the Spurs). To me, Montgomery's tenure suggested this was possible, in that some of those teams in some of those times seemed capable, if pulling it all together, of beating anybody, and in creating a run that could improbably carry them all the way. I never thought of that possibility for a Cal team before Montgomery (except that one year when they went so far into the Tournament AFTER Ed Gray broke his leg at the end of a 50-point game at the end of the season); and the current team, as rag-tag in all its differing parts as it seems to be, looks to me to be only maybe one more player of Bird's caliber away (who could even possibly develop from within the current cast) from being that competitive if all remained healthy [although I felt that somewhat more before Rooks was lost for the season].
Shocky1

shhhhh, don't tell nobody but the bears basketball staff is also actually the group souls of mischief from east oakland

http://vimeo.com/45797764

yanni not in this foto because he was doing a sound check

this is cal basketball#
First Page Last Page
Page 100 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.