cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,231,653 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BearGreg
HoopDreams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
7 footer getting back, and working hard...

Vineyardview
What do these Cal 2015 BB recruits have in common?

Cameron Walker

Ray Smith

Jimmy Whitt

Malik Beasley

Bennie Boatwright

Dillon Brooks

Chance Comanche

Alex Illikainen

Kaiser Gates

Serigne Athj

Samir Sehic
GATC
Great to hear about Rooks. Nice picture of him jumping.
beeasyed
Vineyardview;842341041 said:

Cameron Walker

Ray Smith

Jimmy Whitt

Malik Beasley

Bennie Boatwright

Dillon Brooks

Chance Comanche

Alex Illikainen

Kaiser Gates

Serigne Athj

Samir Sehic

none of them are coming to Cal?
Shocky1
"yeah, why do i have to keep an eye on whineydrew?...he's upset because the new bears staff missed on a couple of national targets while they are successfully recruiting & building relationships in nor cal?...who cares, anyways, what time is our tee time at cypress point next thursday?"

parentswerebears

Cameron Walker

Ray Smith

Jimmy Whitt

Malik Beasley

Bennie Boatwright

Dillon Brooks

Chance Comanche

Alex Illikainen

Kaiser Gates

Serigne Athj

Samir Sehic

I am really hoping that Frayer is the domino, but I'm not feeling 2015 as strongly as I did earlier this summer. No insider info, but those we have lost out on...
How close are with the others that are still on the list? If they pull in Pflueger, Sampson, Cheatham and, of course Rabb, my nega-vibe will go far away. Any combination of them and Rabb. Gotta get Rabb.
Vineyardview
Shocky why so sensitive? Did you interpret this post as a representation of actionable offers or the staff's priority at their respective positions? If so, you interpreted it incorrectly.

We all know that Cal can't accommodate even 10% of the players in which they have publically expressed major or miner interest. The list contains names of recruits that are participating in the normal weeding out process. This process is more public than past years because it is larger due to Cuonzo and Staff's openness and the popularity of the internet and twitter.

The good news remains that Cuonzo and Staff now have more time to recruit the remaining exceptional players that represent the two or three or four that they really want. Hopefully some of those guys will see the merits of playing for Cuonzo at Cal.

As the numbers thin out it gets exciting and the fans recruiting anxiety logically increases. Chill Shocky, no one is "whining" just observing the natural thinning out of an over populated prospect pool.
HoopDreams
that's 11 players.

AZ's Miller has 21 offers out for the current 2015 class.
No matter who you are, you're going to miss, but if you don't play, you don't win, and some of those on the list haven't committed yet, or aren't even a Cal offer

Cameron Walker

Ray Smith

Jimmy Whitt

Malik Beasley

Bennie Boatwright

Dillon Brooks

Chance Comanche

Alex Illikainen

Kaiser Gates

Serigne Athj

Samir Sehic
Shocky1
shockies: that feeling that you get in your stomach (and/or random other parts of your anatomy) when you are around that special someone

girl a: "do you like him a lot?"

girl b: "yeah, he totally gives me the shockies!"

[IMG] width="750" [/IMG]

shocky: nickname for a man who gives off spontaneous electrical shocks...once in control of the power, this person can be very dangerous...not a person to betray

girl a: "whoa, howd he do that?"

girl b: "he's a shocky"

girl a: "no way"

yoga pants#

handstand>>>>headstand>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>lazy dumb azz>>>>>>>>>plankton>>dana altman
R.Hobbs

Cameron Walker

Ray Smith

Jimmy Whitt

Malik Beasley

Bennie Boatwright

Dillon Brooks

Chance Comanche

Alex Illikainen

Kaiser Gates

Serigne Athj

Samir Sehic

At least this staff tries........
Shocky1
cal basketball recruiting is kinda like dating, sometimes you gotta put your nose in a few places before you find the girl of your dreams

in college basketball recruiting's fluid world an offer yesterday ain't the same thing as an offer today and it doesn't guarantee an offer tomorrow...players are constantly evaluated (and reevaluated) while the bears key targets list is prioritized & updated on an ongoing basis...more than half of the hs players on whineydrew's list do not have actionable cal offers today

case in point, bennie boatwright made a commitment to usc depite not being recruited by endfield until last week after numerous programs, including cal (the staff quit scouting his aau games in early july), backed off him a bit due to his dad's insistence that his son play the 2 & 3 and not a forward facing 4 as envisioned by many d1 coaches...boatwright is an elite shooter & it will be interesting to see how his career plays out (is he coachable?) in smogsville...my profile of bennie in this thread touches upon these issues

due to the late hiring of the staff, cuonzo & co took a national recruiting strategy for 2015 due to their preexisting relationships established while at tennessee & yanni's connections built while at vanderbilt/harvard...the bears currently have 12 players with schollys (the ncaa max is 13) for this season with kravish & tarwater as seniors and bird & wallace considering their options

i expect a small 2015 class with ivan rabb as the #1 player in the united states being the ultimate bears target

keep in mind that former top 30 player stephen domingo will be eligible & kameron rooks will presumably be healthy which lessens the need for a large influx of new players next season

it is very possible that cuonzo will elect to carry schollys forward to 2016 as it is already shaping up to be a monster class with top 30 player oscar frayer's early commitment & the staff's successful building of key nor cal (oscar's soldiers teammates & the studs from sacramento) & california (nightmare scorer jonah mathews) relationships

bears are on the prowl, let the wild rumpus start
http://vimeo.com/64342724

mikecohen
Shocky1;842341121 said:

shockies: that feeling that you get in your stomach (and/or random other parts of your anatomy) when you are around that special someone

girl a: "do you like him a lot?"

girl b: "yeah, he totally gives me the shockies!"

shocky: nickname for a man who gives off spontaneous electrical shocks...once in control of the power, this person can be very dangerous...not a person to betray

girl a: "whoa, howd he do that?"

girl b: "he's a shocky"

girl a: "no way"

yoga pants#

handstand>>>>headstand>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>lazy dumb azz>>>>>>>>>plankton>>dana altman

Shocky1 = a hint that he was previously Oski
south bender
Yes, previously Oski, before his present devolution.

Go Bears!
petalumabear
Shocky wasn't the Oski I dated @ Cal. She was 5'4" about 110 lbs with brown eyes and hair. Now the other Oski at that time was male, blond with green eyes and about 5'6" I doubt he was Shocky either. in fact, I think Shocky's fascination with yoga is probably telling.
Go Bears/Shocky
HoopDreams
[SIZE=4]Roger gaining valuable experience and representing Cal and the Pac 12[/SIZE]

Shocky1

"where i like the coaching staff and where the head coach is the main one talking to me so i know they really want me...if the head coach is calling, that means you're a priority"

-ivan rabb

"the schools that he has recruiting him are university of california-berkeley, ucla, usc, arizona, kansas, kentucky, georgetown and north carolina"

-lou richie, bod hc

early indications are that cuonzo & the new staff have made favorable 1st impressions

the former bears staff were fractured in their approach to the recruitment of the #1 player in the 2015 class...coaches told me there was "no chance" to "we should try harder"...my biggest divergence in opinion with the that staff (that led cal bb to the most successful era during the last half a century) centered around ivan's recruitment...only td attended bod's state championship game at sleepy train arena in sacramento after the bears season had already ended

mac dre agrees that not making every effort known to mankind to relentlessly recruit ivan rabb would be stoopid, gotta "growl like a bear"

the grind includes the hc#

"the new cal coaches stopped by as well...i like them so far but i have not seen the way they coach yet or anything...i will watch them this year"

-ivan rabb

north carolina: ivan & his mom tami along with bod hc lou richie unofficially visited unc...rabb played in a pick up game & checked out the facilities...roy williams was unavailable during the visit (this trip was prior to the recent academic fraud allegations directed at williams)

duke: relatively brief unofficially visit with coach k who expressed an interest in recruiting rabb in the future

georgetown: visited with hc john thompson iii...ivan impressed with the urban (city) aspect of the campus vs the 2 north carolina schools & also the georgetown graduate school biz program

cal: "as soon as the new staff came in, they started contacted me regularly during the first week...they talk to me a lot and make sure that i know that i'm at the top of their list and that they really want me at cal...i have respect for all of their coaches and i'm looking forward to seeing what they can do next year"

ivan unofficially visited with the cal bb staff in berkeley today

the cal coaches are successfully building relationships & "painting pictures" via unofficial visits (the bears also had another key prospect visit fri too)

"like @icecube said, "today was a good day""
-cuonzo martin

"what a great day in berkeley, ca! we are making moves. big ones. #gold standard"
-yanni hufnagel

cuonzo martin personally watched ivan & his oakland soliders teammates at the peach jam in georgia

ivan rabb is on the usa under 17 team that is competing at the fiba world championship in dubai...young ivee missed the 1st game with a swollen ankle but is recovered now & playing well for the tnt which runs thru aug 16th

a decision will be most likely forthcoming during the spring of 2015 signing period
Shocky1

"i am thrilled for roger to have the opportunity to represent the cal family on the pac 12's all star tour of china...it will be great to see him compete against some of the best basketball programs in china and face former bear max zhang...roger will have a great educational experience"

-cuonzo martin

"roger grew up in cameroon, speaks fluent french, is attending college in the united states and will be traveling to china...some serious **** is gonna be lost in translation"

-anonymous stoopid dumb azz cal fan
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=lost+in+translation+more+than+this+video&FORM=VIRE2#view=detail&mid=42E8AAE7EAFCFC803CF042E8AAE7EAFCFC803CF0

the pac 12 team practiced for 2 days starting on aug 7th in san francisco & now is heading to china for 4 games in shanghai

ni hao

lost in translation#
spiritual gangster#

Shocky1
new 2014 center for world university rankings:

1) harvard university
2) stanford university
3) massachusetts university of technology
4) university of cambridge
5) university of oxford
6) columbia university
7) university of california, berkeley
8) university of chicago
9) princeton university
10) yale university

http://cwur.org/2014/

don't be a dumb azz#
Shocky1
cuonzo martin has offered vance jackson, a highly skilled 6'7" 200 lbs sharpshooting wing from st john bosco (bryce tregg's hs) in bellflower

jackson is a top 50 2016 player that played well this summer on the aau circuit for belmont shore displaying a more aggressive style of play...the unselfish team player has offers from arizona, defending ncca champs uconn along with most of the pac 12 (except noteably ucla & usc)...his dad vance sr has indicated that the family has a preference for their son staying on the west coast

a key factor in vance's recruitment will be his excellent academic track record & ambition

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world
Shocky1

summer breezes in berkeley, california
http://www.calbears.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30100&ATCLID=209607098

working out ain't fancy, who knew that, i knew that, i do dat, gonna put my name in bold

the grind#
socaltownie
Because Shocky is SURE to appreciate ;-) Check out

http://thescene.com/watch/gq/the-many-talents-of-kate-upton?mbid=marketing_paid_tp_cne_oo_outbrain_scene_gq&utm_source=outbrain&utm_medium=paid&utm_content=scene&utm_campaign=gq

at the 0:45 Mark. Sadly she definately can NOT shoot from beyond the arc or I would suggest that would be a scholarship well spent.
south bender
So now, SCT, you have joined Shocky in bringing the babes on to our basketball forum!

Miss Upton needs some work on her basketball skills, but demonstrates some impressive athleticism, particularly on her verticality when emerging from the pool. Moreover, she would be a charismatic force in the locker room.

Go Bears!
SRBear
Did you notice on the basketball segment all the Cal stuff that must have been the prizes....some sort of hats? Also, since I forgot to enable HD, went back and had to watch a second time just to see if it was all real.
socaltownie
south bender;842342005 said:

So now, SCT, you have joined Shocky in bringing the babes on to our basketball forum!

Miss Upton needs some work on her basketball skills, but demonstrates some impressive athleticism, particularly on her verticality when emerging from the pool. Moreover, she would be a charismatic force in the locker room.

Go Bears!

I figured that a link is always better for NSFW issues than the pictures. One can always choose not to click through.
I also think that it is pretty clear from this shoot that Upton has her tongue firmly in cheek. So I am generally OK with the whole post-modern ironic thing going on. Plus it is CAL related Cheese with the basketball shoot. And heck, I am just tired of the fight with Shocky on this.....';-(
south bender
socaltownie;842342045 said:

I figured that a link is always better for NSFW issues than the pictures. One can always choose not to click through.
I also think that it is pretty clear from this shoot that Upton has her tongue firmly in cheek. So I am generally OK with the whole post-modern ironic thing going on. Plus it is CAL related Cheese with the basketball shoot. And heck, I am just tired of the fight with Shocky on this.....';-(

Or could it be, SCT, as I heard often as a pubescent lad, that "you boys just have your mind in the gutter"? "Post-modern ironic"?? Give me a break!

Go Bears!
Shocky1

"sat tutoring this morning with rell"
"#back in school mode"
-oscar frayer

schoolwork matters#
# of twitter followers ain't gonna help you achieve your dreams#

oscar's gonna surprise a lot of folks with his choice of a date for the moreau catholic junior prom

cal family#
what up, damari?#
socaltownie
south bender;842342100 said:

Or could it be, SCT, as I heard often as a pubescent lad, that "you boys just have your mind in the gutter"? "Post-modern ironic"?? Give me a break!

Go Bears!

It is ironic. She KNOWS she is going way over the top <smirk> with the cheese. As far as I understand it, that is the very definition of irony in post-modernism. Now she would seal the deal if she was shown reading Foucault but hey, will take what I can get ;-)
south bender
socaltownie;842342239 said:

It is ironic. She KNOWS she is going way over the top <smirk> with the cheese. As far as I understand it, that is the very definition of irony in post-modernism. Now she would seal the deal if she was shown reading Foucault but hey, will take what I can get ;-)

So far as I can tell, she is simply a young girl making the most of her body and smile. Beyond that, quien sabe?

Go Bears!
Shocky1
dwight has integrated himself into the cal basketball family with warm acceptance by the coaches & his teammates after reporting in "good but not great" shape & will "definitely play a key role" this upcoming season

the bears staff is also looking at potentially bringing in another graduate transfer student athlete with the 2015 class

Shocky1
frank knight is the dynamic head basketball coach (along with being a social studies teacher) & life mentor at moreau catholic

knight encourages & demands excellence both in the classroom & on the basketball court from his student athletes...he is building a program that will compete for california state championships in the very near future building upon the leadership of potential future mcdonalds all americans oscar frayer & damari milstead
http://norcalbasketball.blogspot.com/2013/10/a-q-and-with-frank-knight.html

go mariners#
what up, oscar & damari?#
HoopDreams
Ivan Rabb is a unique and rare talent. As a big, this is what he says about his passing game...

"It makes your teammates want to play with you," Rabb said. "I like to be known as a guy other people like to play with. If people like to play with you, then they'll want to facilitate for you too. It makes your job easier and it makes their job easier."

Read more at http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-pm-meet-top-2015-recruit-ivan-rabb/#or5gspW8yrUxhgdf.99

[SIZE=5]The Cal Coaches are ALL IN on Ivan Rabb[/SIZE]

Shocky1
"it's been a good transition...the new coaches have been working hard making sure everything's going smooth with all of us...our workouts are good, they really push us hard...coach martin actually recruited me when he was at missouri state so i was kind of familiar with him before he came...coach martin's a really good guy...he's really focused and really passionate about the team and the game...the foundation that monty laid for the program, i think coach martin is the kind of energetic boost we need to get to the next level...i think during the course of his tenure here, cal's going to vastly improve because he's just passionate about making us better and he brings a new look or new edge to things that needed"

-david kravish (to jim mcgill)

david, this is your team, elevate (anybody else notice that dk looks like the lead singer of st lucia?)
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=st+lucia+elevate+video&qpvt=st+lucia+elevate+video&FORM=VDRE#view=detail&mid=61FCB82D0D87683DFC9D61FCB82D0D87683DFC9D

congrats to cal's sr captain on getting engaged this summer & also working on gaining weight in the bears "really intense strength & conditioning program"

kravish's current weight is 240 lbs vs the 215-220 lbs he packed last season

cal family#
Shocky1
knocked in a clutch 6 footer for par on the 18th hole at cypress point this morning as slim wadie & i halved our match with former cal golfer ken lloyd & cal's legendary golf coach steve desimone...we collected $ from des after our afternoon victory at spyglass hill...dude hates to lose

in my travels around the globe cypress point remains an emotionally soaring ethereal & spiritual golfing experience...the visual senses are enlightened with an incomparable beauty reminiscent of the 1st time you saw a true love...not sure if the tears in my eyes are from the monterey peninsula mist or something else
[video=youtube;tEGFuXGHMdY][/video]

coach desimone has been named the national coach of the year and inducted into the ncga hall of fame after tirelessly building against all odds cal golf from a club sport with zero schollys into a national powerhouse (despite operating without a full complement of schollys, thx sandy) with a 2004 ncca championship trophy & the 2013 bears team that is considered the greatest team in the history of college golf after winning a ncaa record 12 tournaments (the old record was oklahoma state's 10 tournament wins)...steve is respected for graduating guys from cal's challenging world ranked undergrad haas biz school (my background) & launching bears into the professional golfing ranks

desimone is a former cal basketball player (deadly outside shooter) & good friends with mike & sarah montgomery...steve told me a year ago during a match at peninsula cc with sango that he strongly suspected that last season would be mike's final swan song & the private reasons behind his retirement

gotta love des

cal family#
kiss the stars goodnight#
Shocky1
cal basketball recruiting is kinda like dating, sometimes you gotta put your nose in a few places before you find the girl of your dreams

in college basketball recruiting's fluid world an offer yesterday ain't the same thing as an offer today and it doesn't guarantee an offer tomorrow...players are constantly evaluated (and reevaluated) while the bears key targets list is prioritized & updated on an ongoing basis...more than half of the hs players on whineydrew's list do not have actionable cal offers today

case in point, bennie boatwright made a commitment to usc depite not being recruited by endfield until last week after numerous programs, including cal (the staff quit scouting his aau games in early july), backed off him a bit due to his dad's insistence that his son play the 2 & 3 and not a forward facing 4 as envisioned by many d1 coaches...boatwright is an elite shooter & it will be interesting to see how his career plays out (is he coachable?) in smogsville...my profile of bennie in this thread touches upon these issues

due to the late hiring of the staff, cuonzo & co took a national recruiting strategy for 2015 due to their preexisting relationships established while at tennessee & yanni's connections built while at vanderbilt/harvard...the bears currently have 12 players with schollys (the ncaa max is 13) for this season with kravish & tarwater as seniors and bird & wallace considering their options

i expect a small 2015 class with ivan rabb as the #1 player in the united states being the ultimate bears target

keep in mind that former top 30 player stephen domingo will be eligible & kameron rooks will presumably be healthy which lessens the need for a large influx of new players next season

it is very possible that cuonzo will elect to carry schollys forward to 2016 as it is already shaping up to be a monster class with top 30 player oscar frayer's early commitment & the staff's successful building of key nor cal (oscar's soldiers teammates & the studs from sacramento) & california (nightmare scorer jonah mathews) relationships

bears are on the prowl, let the wild rumpus start
http://vimeo.com/64342724

the bears staff is targeting 2-3 recruits for 2015 including ivan the national program changer, a wing & potentially another senior graduate transfer & 3-5 schollys for 2016's blossoming monster class led by charismatic oscar frayer
SFCityBear
At the end of this season, it’s a fact that our best front line player, David Kravish and another likely major contributing big, Keith Tarwater will graduate. What we will have coming back for the 2015-16 season, as true bigs, will be current freshman Kingsley Okoroh, the oft-injured Christian Behrens, the currently injured Sean Rooks, and the undersized at 6’-7”, 204 lb Cole Welle. The returning bigs in 2015 are, on paper at least, not as formidable as the bigs we have on the current roster. Going forward, it looks to me that we have guards and shooters out the wazzou, but not quite enough up front, which has been an ongoing problem for some time. We need to address that need for bigs right now for the 2015 class.

Getting Rabb would be a big step forward, but with the unknowns regarding the current bigs as to their abilities (Okoroh and Welle) or their health (Behrens and Rooks), we need at least one more quality big besides Rabb in the 2015 class. And since Rabb’s commitment is no sure thing, or even close to it, we need to pursue two more quality bigs, and sign at least one for the 2015 class, IMO. We have offered 6’-10” Chance Comanche, Alex Illikainan, 6’-11” Josh Sharma, and the undersized 6’-7” Juwan Morgan. Let us hope we can land either Rabb and one of these four, or if not Rabb, then two of the remaining four. There is no time to lose.
First Page Last Page
Page 104 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.