cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,256,354 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BearGreg
OdontoBear66
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bearmanpg;842375257 said:

I'm back!!!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

The shockster got you by the tip of your tongue, eh? Sure wasn't two bears ah dancin'.
mikecohen
socaltownie;842375054 said:

Re Serrano: OK....so I am sure to butcher some of the details (Sunday morning and I am still on cloud 9 from watching a blown FG attempt ;-) It is a running joke that there are 5 people in the entire state that fully understand school financing formulas and they are never allowed to travel together and one is always in a secure vault in case of disaster.

That said, what I understand is that Serrano V. Priest I, II, and III combined to say that there was an equal protection problem with the relationship between tax rates and per pupil spending in California COUNTIES. Essentially you had some counties, because of few kids and lots of property value where people where paying LESS in taxes (I believe in the case measured on a proportion of income) but getting more school. What the courts said is that this was illegal. It was mirrored/similar to a number of other challenges at the same time.

California's policy response was the "average daily attendance" formula - where the state said you would spend X per pupil per day of attendance. To get to X you took the property tax collected and then used state money to "get up" to the ADA levels. So you had this weird situation where locals where not BETTER off raising the property tax rate. The state wasn't going to allow that extra investment to flow to local schools - even though we know that there is a strong connection between school quality (perceived) and property values. Taxpayers rightly said "well then we would be DUMB to raise our property taxes". Fischel and Martin (see above) are really good on this. They have a great argument going on in the literature.

Re Prop 13 and the post prop "fix". The other thing that is important in Prop 13 is the legislative 'fix" enacted in 1978 (the precise Assembly resolution escapes me - My co-teacher covers that in my regionalism course). What that did was try to "equalize the pain". So the basics was that the state looked at how a dollar in property tax was divided up in 1975 and then kept that as the proportion that flowed to various property supported entities (counties, school districts, cities, special districts). What this did was have the effect that if you (county, city, Special district) were a big spender (or an urban county) prior to prop 13 you got to keep a lot more of your property tax money. In turn, the state backfills the local school district with ADA money. However, if you were a rural county (or ESPECIALLY an exurban county) you were screwed. Your local government units got very little property tax, your school districts got more, you got less ADA money and the state thanked you and sent you an XMAS card.

NOw this was supposed to be temporary. But because LA and SF are particularly big winners in this formula there has never been a majority that has been willing to do anything other than tweak around the edges. And local government adjusted. Anytime you see miles of automalls and other efforts to chase sales tax (distributed according to where the sale takes place) you can blame prop 13.

And now, like my undergrads, you have been bored spitless by a discussion of CA finance. Go back to relishing a missed FG and being in First place in the pac-12 north ;-)

Thank you. Very grateful for the information, so clearly and succinctly put. You know, the football team basically puts Hollywood to shame. FWIW: I am (despite all) also a fan of the football defensive team - if only because I saw absolutely no quit in them. I hope for, and indeed expect, real improvement from them - this season [maybe because of the lessons learned from these apocalyptic games]. But also, have we noticed that Northwestern, against whom the defense did very well, has been regularly now beating up on ranked teams? GO BEARS - although the word GO seems even a little weak in light of the frankly unbelieveable exploits of the offense and special teams. I hope this excursion into football won't be resented. It just bubbled over from the volcanic events of last night.
Shocky1

"if you go to chipotle and order a bowl with 2x rice, 2x sour cream, 2x cheese, guacamole and lettuce that's not eating healthy"
-nicodemus smith, s&c guru

together we attack (unless you're a lazy fat azz)#
no more roscoes#
bearmanpg
OdontoBear66;842375359 said:

The shockster got you by the tip of your tongue, eh? Sure wasn't two bears ah dancin'.

I'll never tell....but if the sight of two bears cavorting in an obviously foreign alley is not stimulating to you, it's on you..
HoopDreams
Cal hosted ESPN Top 100 Kerwin Roach on an official visit

He watched the Cal coaches run the players through a practice, and presumably enjoyed a beautiful day in Berkeley

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
HoopDreams
2016 El Cerrito High SF Carlos Johnson visited Cal during the open practice

ESPN: "Johnson is a relentless power wing who can score in a variety of ways"

[COLOR="#000080"][SIZE=7]Rep the Bay[/SIZE][/COLOR]
OdontoBear66
HoopDreams;842375834 said:

Cal hosted ESPN Top 100 Kerwin Roach on an official visit

He watched the Cal coaches run the players through a practice, and presumably enjoyed a beautiful day in Berkeley

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Shocky…..This goes back a long time, but I think name alone "Roach" is a perfect fit for Cal (as in Berkeley, which I rarely acknowledge)
Shocky1
cuonzo martin is personally handling the recruitment of caleb swanigan, a top 10 2015 strongman from fort wayne, indiana...swanigan is known for his relentless rebounding motor & back to the basket power game along with a skillful soft touch from the perimeter with a nba future upside

caleb is 6'8" 275 lbs after losing 75 lbs from his days as a 6'4" 350 lbs middle schooler...at that time he left his family in utah to live with his current guardian roosevelt barnes jr, a former nfl player, who has mentored swanigan's healthier diet & dedicated cardio program

roosevelt barnes jr (also a 4 year player on the purdue basketball team) & cuonzo martin have a strong longtime friendship

swanigan has been offered by virtually every major program in the country including kentucky & local favorite michigan state (which is hedging its bet in the cb sweepstakes via izzo's active recruitment of wisconsin elite 5 henry ellenson)...the only official visit discussed is to surprisingly enough, chicago state, which was the 1st school to offer him back in the day but it has not been scheduled at this time...he is planning on unofficially visiting kentucky for their combine scouting practice on october 10th

dude is a smart guy, by working diligently in the classroom during summer school, swanigan has reclassified from the 2016 to the 2015 class...last season he had a 20 ppg & 12 rpg at homestead hs in fort wayne

caleb played on the usa team in dubai with bay area superstar ivan rabb & shot an unreal 69.6% for the victorious american team...both caleb & ivan have a lot in common from an outside interests (beyond basketball) perspective

swanigan's in homes visits to date include cal, michigan state, kentucky, pittsburgh, ucla, arizona, notre dame, purdue, auburn, new mexico, missouri, north carolina state, michigan & alabama

the key factor in this recruitment will be for cuonzo to secure an official visit from caleb to berkeley...if that happens, anything is possible at that point

diamond in the rough#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including the midwest)

HoopDreams
It ain't just Cal basketball and football that strives for excellence, and has World Class athletes

It's all Cal sports that compete at the highest level

Another example, is Cal superstar swimmer [COLOR="#000080"][SIZE=5]Missy Franklin[/SIZE][/COLOR]
With Olympic Gold medals galore, and the winner of the Laureus World Sports Award for Sportswoman of the Year award

Is there any doubt that she and the Cal women swim team are World Class athletes?

Shocky1

yanni hufnagel told me that one of the major goals of the cal basketball program is for all players to either walk across the stage at radio city musical hall during the nba draft and/or walk across the stage at the university of california, berkeley's graduation cermoney

who knew but huf is also the saxophone player for m83, check out his crazy azz sax solo during midnight city
[video=youtube;vNEbsZ3IcH4][/video]

this is cal basketball#
together we attack (our athletic & academic goals)#
concordtom
Looks like there are just 5 guys with asterisks by their name on the recruiting page. Asterisks mean offer has been extended.

2 bigs in Rabb (rated #7 overall by Rivals) Swanigan (16)
3 6'4" 180lbs SG's in Dorsey (19) and Roach (34) and Sampson (39)

Other guys are being recruited by Cal but do not have asterisks so I'm interpreting that as they they cannot pull the trigger at any time. (feel free to correct if I'm wrong)

In looking at the roster, I count 10 returning scholarship guys for next year, assuming nobody leaves early. That mean we would have 3 slots available. MB has stated that we would like to get both Rabb and Swanigan, should we be so fortunate. And that would leave just 1 spot for Sampson, Roach or Dorsey, the first two having recently taken official visits to Cal. Which makes me wonder if either one of those SG's were to commit, perhaps the offer for the others would evaporate. Or would we take two, and only 1 of the bigs. Our roster definitely needs bigs more than SG's at this point. Next year we will have the following who can fill that guard spot, whether they are more SF or PG:
Singer
Wallace
Mathews
Bird
Domingo
And sounds like a starting lineup of Bird at SG and Domingo at SF and Wallace at PG could be in the works with Mathews providing starter quality depth at SG and Singer (and possibly Chauca) at PG. Therefore, if any of Sampson, Roach or Dorsey come, where do they fit as freshmen? Where would two fit? All are highly rated, but so were Bird and Domingo, who are taller and upperclassmen by this time next year. Thus, room for just one to pull the trigger? Is it a race to decide?

Another way I would look at it is this: who cares about it that much? The point of playing in college is to get a good education and build a base for the rest of your life - unless you are going to the NBA to reap millions. And the chances of it are so much slimmer than all recruits and their families like to believe. So, if your slot is a bit crowded year 1 or even 2, take an emotional and physical break from the wear and tear, get acclimated to college life and study load, and wait your turn. Why should so much rely on a sport that for 99% of the guys is going to end in 4 to 5 years short years.
Vineyardview
[FONT=Arial]Arizona also recognizes Caleb Swanigan's enormous talent and Sean Miller is unrelenting in his recruiting effort.

Point Guard U ‏@UofAPointGuardU Caleb Swanigan @Biggs_Swanigan will visit Arizona for the Red Blue game[/FONT]

It is an understatement to say Cuonzo will need to me at the top of his game to convince both Ivan Rabb and Caleb Swanigan to join the Cal Basketball team.

Shocky1;842375950 said:

cuonzo martin is personally handling the recruitment of caleb swanigan, a top 10 2015 strongman from fort wayne, indiana...swanigan is known for his relentless rebounding motor & back to the basket power game along with a skillful soft touch from the perimeter with a nba future upside

caleb is 6'8" 275 lbs after losing 75 lbs from his days as a 6'4" 350 lbs middle schooler...at that time he left his family in utah to live with his current guardian roosevelt barnes jr, a former nfl player, who has mentored swanigan's healthier diet & dedicated cardio program

roosevelt barnes jr (also a 4 year player on the purdue basketball team) & cuonzo martin have a strong longtime friendship

swanigan has been offered by virtually every major program in the country including kentucky & local favorite michigan state (which is hedging its bet in the cb sweepstakes via izzo's active recruitment of wisconsin elite 5 henry ellenson)...the only official visit discussed is to surprisingly enough, chicago state, which was the 1st school to offer him back in the day but it has not been scheduled at this time...he is planning on unofficially visiting kentucky for their combine scouting practice on october 10th

dude is a smart guy, by working diligently in the classroom during summer school, swanigan has reclassified from the 2016 to the 2015 class...last season he had a 20 ppg & 12 rpg at homestead hs in fort wayne

caleb played on the usa team in dubai with bay area superstar ivan rabb & shot an unreal 69.6% for the victorious american team...both caleb & ivan have a lot in common from an outside interests (beyond basketball) perspective

swanigan's in homes visits to date include cal, michigan state, kentucky, pittsburgh, ucla, arizona, notre dame, purdue, auburn, new mexico, missouri, north carolina state, michigan & alabama

the key factor in this recruitment will be for cuonzo to secure an official visit from caleb to berkeley...if that happens, anything is possible at that point

diamond in the rough#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including the midwest)

concordtom
Vineyardview;842376396 said:

[FONT=Arial]Arizona also recognizes Caleb Swanigan's enormous talent and Sean Miller is unrelenting in his recruiting effort.

Point Guard U ‏@UofAPointGuardU Caleb Swanigan @Biggs_Swanigan will visit Arizona for the Red Blue game[/FONT]

It is an understatement to say Cuonzo will need to me at the top of his game to convince both Ivan Rabb and Caleb Swanigan to join the Cal Basketball team.

I think he will need to be on top of his game to convince EITHER Rabb OR Swanigan.
Being local, Rabb might appear to be the more likely of the 2, but shocky posted something about Martin having a pre-existing relationship with Swanigan's guardian, a fellow former Illinois athlete. I would think if I were Rabb or Swanigan, I might be interested in partnering up with some top end basketball buddies. That seems to be common with what Kentucky has been doing with their monster classes. And, of course, usual suspects like Arizona and Kentucky are indeed targeting both these guys.

Per my prior email above, I think it would be a pretty tantalizing offer Martin submits to these 2:
2015-16 lineup:
C Swanigan
PF Rabb
SF Domingo
SG Bird
PG Wallace

Bench: quality with SG Mathews, and either of Sampson/Roach/Dorsey, and size with two 7 footers, sr PF Berhens.

Those first 4 names are topflight. Wallace is not at all shabby, with some talk of his draftability, but not yet a pure PG. It will be interesting to see his continued development this year under new coach! If his play at point excels, that would be potential NBA talent at all 5 positions. What more would Rabb and Swanigan be seeking? Double depth at each position, a la Marcus Lee? (oh my god, I just broke a 6 months string without a ML reference!)
antipattern
concordtom;842376484 said:

I think he will need to be on top of his game to convince EITHER Rabb OR Swanigan.
Being local, Rabb might appear to be the more likely of the 2, but shocky posted something about Martin having a pre-existing relationship with Swanigan's guardian, a fellow former Illinois athlete. I would think if I were Rabb or Swanigan, I might be interested in partnering up with some top end basketball buddies. That seems to be common with what Kentucky has been doing with their monster classes. And, of course, usual suspects like Arizona and Kentucky are indeed targeting both these guys.

Per my prior email above, I think it would be a pretty tantalizing offer Martin submits to these 2:
2015-16 lineup:
C Swanigan
PF Rabb
SF Domingo
SG Bird
PG Wallace

Bench: quality with SG Mathews, and either of Sampson/Roach/Dorsey, and size with two 7 footers, sr PF Berhens.

Those first 4 names are topflight. Wallace is not at all shabby, with some talk of his draftability, but not yet a pure PG. It will be interesting to see his continued development this year under new coach! If his play at point excels, that would be potential NBA talent at all 5 positions. What more would Rabb and Swanigan be seeking? Double depth at each position, a la Marcus Lee? (oh my god, I just broke a 6 months string without a ML reference!)

That's a nice roster for a day dream, but I will give you 5 to 1 odds that at least one of Bird or Wallace will not be back next year. And that's probably too conservative.
Shocky1
Vineyardview;842376396 said:

hey captain, that's good to know...i wuz kinda thinking a few phone calls & maybe a couple of postcards might be enough to get both ivan & caleb to sign with the bears

newsflash: recruiting 2 top 10 players is gonna be challenging & highly competitive

Shocky1

cal family#
HoopDreams
[COLOR="#000080"][SIZE=7]Cal shakes up the Nation![/SIZE][/COLOR]

HoopDreams
[COLOR="#000080"][SIZE=5]Family[/SIZE][/COLOR]

tim94501
Not gonna quote rival site but sounds like roach have us an A+ on his visit and that his parents are beginning to favor us as well.
Shocky1
"win as many basketball games as possible by recruiting low gpa/character non student athletes who fight both on and off the court and also assault women as long as they don't make any meaningful academic progress while in eugene"

this is oregon basketball#
just do it#

seasons change, people change, dana altman ain't ever gonna change
http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2014/10/inexeprience_sets_the_tone_as.html#incart_story_package
Shocky1
many thx to current interim athletic director michael williams for keeping the seat warm for me

negotiations are moving along with chancellor nicky d & his crew in my pursuit of being named the next athletic director at the university of california, berkeley

among the sticking points:

***my financial strategy of restructuring the $400m+ memorial stadium renovation debt via venture capital investments in start ups along with london & manhattan commercial real estate holdings is viewed as too speculative...the next ad needs to be a much stronger hands on fiscal manager, not a super fan traveling 40 weeks of the yr to the women's field hockey match in tulsa in order to cheer on the team

***all cal non revenue sports would need to be 80% financially self supporting via donations/fund raising within the next 5 yrs, no exceptions, or become a club sport...all existing schollys for current student athletes would be honored thru graduation

***a cal bb alumni game featuring jason kidd, kevin johnson, shareef abdur rahim, jorge gutierrez, ryan anderson, tony gonzalez, leon powe, max zhang, leonard taylor, sean lampley, alan crabbe, russ critchfield, jerome randle, patrick christopher, yogi stewart, sean marks, al grigsby, richard midgley, michael chavez, ayinde ubaka, joe ship, mark mcnamara, carl bird, theo robertson, keith smith, harper kamp, francisco elson, jamal boykin, larry friend, phil chenier, darall imhoff, matt beeuwsaert, butch hays, gene ransom, charles johnson, roy fisher, michael pitts, ryan forehan kelly, brian wethers, ed gray, lamond murray, jackie ridgle, ansley truitt, jon wheeler, kevin singleton, monty buckley, doug vilotti, devon hardin, richard butler, dennis gates, doug true, brian hendrcks, aj digs, robert thurman, prentice mcgruder, justin labagh & the 1959/1960 final four teams would be played at a sold out haas in 2015...assistant coach slots on the bench would be sold for $10,000 donations, marshawn lynch would be the game's only ref & there would be a halftime musical performance by the souls of mischief in conjunction with the cal band...the game would also be aired on the pac 12 network

cal bb has an untapped goldmine of potential donor support from its highly successful bb alumni group because of its inability to stay connected with former players, that needs to change...every former bear needs a personal phone call welcoming them back to berkeley, that's what great organizations do to ensure a strong legacy (and that's the essence of the recruiting message to ivan, "what do you want your legacy to be?")

***the costly & unsuccessful baseball team program would be discontinued immediately with evans diamond converted into a short game practice area with putting greens & bunker areas (designed by bill coore) for the men's & women's golf teams (and myself)

***oski would be my 2nd in command as the deputy associate athletic director once he gets out of rehab

***my commitment to assist with the recruiting of qualified student athletes for the dance & cheerleading squads has been labeled as "inappropriate" behavior for an ad...asu would be the model, everyone knows the sun devils have the smartest, best looking & most athletic women on planet earth...adios diane milano, you can start packing up your stuff now

***current efforts to secure a cypress point membership for me have proven unsuccessful...this is a non negotiable point as part of my compensation package, not gonna leave the desert w/o a cypress bag tag...an annual pass at top golf ain't gonna cut it

***the rebranding of cal athletics...all cal uniforms, facilities, letterhead, etc. would clearly state the athletic department's new mission statement for the university of california, berkeley: "don't be a dumbazz"

update: former cal basketball players/managers & their families are invited to a reunion & football game this upcoming saturday october 11th at 12:30 pm at dwinelle plaza that will also be attended by cuonzo martin & his staff & current players...contact formers bear team manager brian raney (class of 2005) at 510-643-0888 or braney@berkeley.edu for free tickets to the washington football game at 3:00 at memorial stadium and/or if you are interested in attending along with meb fund donors the bears closed basketball practice at haas pavilion prior to the reuinion for an inside look at this year's team
http://t.co/KoFg6ITtq5

50 year friendships#

this **** is gonna be live

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world
Shocky1
update: just walked in the front door and shay & taylor shared with me the following message from daniel kessler:

"Hey Shay and Taylor, thank you for sharing with me the link to your crazy Dad's funny blog and I'm honored he would like to become like me someday. Please let him know that I'm not a dumb azz, I graduated from New York University's Gallatin School of Individualized Study in film, literature and French. If you will send me your mailing address, I'll make sure a couple of items of interest are mailed to you. -Daniel"

*******************************************************************************************

took my blair waldorf fashionista daughters shay & taylor to the interpol concert at the marquee theatre in tempe tonite (school nite too, dad of the year)...shaylor live concert rules applied meaning dad can't stand by them unless invited to do so...oh well

interpol lead guitarist daniel kessler is an amazing talent that i've enjoyed watching perform in several countries...dude just connects with his guitar & the music

look, i don't wanna complain about my life but driving home with the top down thru the warm summer desert nite & the music still buzzing in my ears, i contemplated my life & its direction and came to the following realization

if cal is such a "dream school," how come i'm not the lead guitarist for interpol?

studying in school & learning **** is a total waste of time...i'll bet daniel kessler never even went to college

let's face facts:

***am i pro golfer?...nope, a good day at the links might generate a couple of hundred dollars

***can i do a handstand?...not even close, just a headstand...my yoga muse thinks i'm a hopeless crooked toed wildebeest

***has the cal monster class thread convinced ivan to become a bear?...not even gonna answer that one

***am i the lead guitarist for interpol?....**** no

throw away all your schoolbooks & follow your dreams

the university of california, beserkly=#1 rated public university in the world (for losers who lack the talent & vision to become the lead guitarist for interpol)

turn out the bright lights#
Shocky1
down the street from central park is the radio city music hall, the site of the 2014 nba draft

jarnell stokes was the 35th pick overall of the memphis grizzlies in this year's nba draft

jordan mcrae was the 58th pick overall of the philadelphia sixers in this year's nba draft

cuonzo martin & his tennessee staff coached up both of these guys as volunteers on the long road to becoming nba draft choices...cuonzo (a former nba baller himself) is a terrific role model/mentor for young men wishing to work hard in fulfilling their nba & academic dreams

together we attack#
beat syracuse#
Shocky1

"where i like the coaching staff and where the head coach is the main one talking to me so i know they really want me...if the head coach is calling, that means you're a priority"

-ivan rabb

"the schools that he has recruiting him are university of california-berkeley, ucla, usc, arizona, kansas, kentucky, georgetown and north carolina"

-lou richie, bishop o'dowd head coach

early indications are that cuonzo & the new staff have made favorable 1st impressions

the former bears staff were fractured in their approach to the recruitment of the #1 player in the 2015 class...coaches told me there was "no chance" to "we should try harder"...my biggest divergence in opinion with the that staff (that led cal bb to the most successful era during the last half a century) centered around ivan's recruitment...only travid decuire attended bod's state championship game at sleepy train arena in sacramento after the bears season had already ended

mac dre agrees that not making every effort known to mankind to relentlessly recruit ivan rabb would be stoopid, gotta "growl like a bear"

the grind includes the hc#

"the new cal coaches stopped by as well...i like them so far but i have not seen the way they coach yet or anything...i will watch them this year"

-ivan rabb

north carolina: ivan & his mom tami along with bod hc lou richie unofficially visited unc...rabb played in a pick up game & checked out the facilities...roy williams was unavailable during the visit (this trip was prior to the recent academic fraud allegations directed at williams)

duke: relatively brief unofficially visit with coach k who expressed an interest in recruiting rabb in the future

georgetown: visited with hc john thompson iii...ivan impressed with the urban (city) aspect of the campus vs the 2 north carolina schools & also the georgetown graduate school biz program

cal: "as soon as the new staff came in, they started contacted me regularly during the first week...they talk to me a lot and make sure that i know that i'm at the top of their list and that they really want me at cal...i have respect for all of their coaches and i'm looking forward to seeing what they can do next year"

ivan unofficially visited with the cal bb staff in berkeley today

the cal coaches are successfully building relationships & "painting pictures regarding ivan's legacy" via these unofficial visits (the bears also had another key prospect visit fri too)

"like @icecube said, "today was a good day""
-cuonzo martin

"what a great day in berkeley, ca! we are making moves. big ones. #gold standard"
-yanni hufnagel

cuonzo martin personally watched ivan & his oakland soliders teammates at the peach jam in georgia

ivan rabb is on the usa under 17 team that is competing at the fiba world championship in dubai...young ivee missed the 1st game with a swollen ankle

ivan's mom made an unannounced drop in visit with the cal basketball staff in berkeley while ivan was in dubai

ivan's in home visit with north carolina for october 6th was cancelled

together we attack#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including oakland)
Shocky1

cal basketball practice#

clarification: i've been asked quite a few questions re: my recent visit to cuba as the united states government restricts its citizens from travelling there (there are no commercial flights from the usa to cuba) because of the castro regime...tommy & i chartered a plane from cap cana to havana and were welcomed by the cuban government because of our "humanitarian intent" (we brought with us a significant cache of baseball equipment, bats, balls & gloves)...it is very important to have a local guide as there is no united states embassy or consulate in havana, you are truly on your own
HoopDreams
It ain't just Cal basketball and football that strives for excellence, and has World Class athletes

It's all Cal sports that compete at the highest level

Another example, is Cal freshmen golfer [SIZE=5]Alice Jeong[/SIZE] Matches School Record
Alice notched a School Record at the Schooner Fall Classic when she shot a 6-under 64 in the final round of the Schooner Fall Classic held at the par-70 Belmar Golf Club

Is there any doubt that she and the Cal women golf team are World Class athletes?

[SIZE=4]She could probably even give the Shockter a run for his money[/SIZE]

Shocky1
"it's been a good transition...the new coaches have been working hard making sure everything's going smooth with all of us...our workouts are good, they really push us hard...coach martin actually recruited me when he was at missouri state so i was kind of familiar with him before he came...coach martin's a really good guy...he's really focused and really passionate about the team and the game...the foundation that monty laid for the program, i think coach martin is the kind of energetic boost we need to get to the next level...i think during the course of his tenure here, cal's going to vastly improve because he's just passionate about making us better and he brings a new look or new edge to things that needed"
-david kravish

david, this is your team, elevate (anybody else notice that dk looks like the lead singer of st lucia?)

congrats to cal's sr captain on getting engaged this summer & also working on gaining weight in the bears "really intense strength & conditioning program"

**************************************************************************************************
detailed analysis of dk's game on the draftexpress...as mentioned before, the nba is a billion dollar biz that does not utilitze internet scouting evaluations
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/David-Kravish-40950/

**************************************************************************************************

"it's functional weight (240 lbs from 220 lbs last season)...he's bigger, stronger, faster no question about it...on and off the court the way he carries himself, he's one of those guys you want to model yourself after...i expect him to be a great player, he's on that path...he's a guy who plays both ends of the floor and plays hard"
-cuonzo martin

senior leadership (finally)#
together we attack#
Shocky1
what player in the pac 12 has the disruptive length & skillset to most resemble the playing style of nba rookie of the year michael carter-willliams of philly?

what california golden bear most resembles samuel l jackson in unbreakable?

who will cuonzo martin & staff rely upon for upperclassmen leadership next season?

tyrone "let's rumble" wallace significantly improved his perimeter shooting from his freshman season & was the bear's best defender at times

but his game last season was erratic with the low pt at the asu game in tempe when mike montgomery lit up t-wall during a timeout after he inexplicably failed to dive for a loose ball near the bears bench...when play resumed, mike turned sideways to travis decuire and said "they're not listening" & shook his head

tyrone needs to bring it every moment he is on the court & also continue improving his outside jumper & shot selection...he is virtually unstoppable when he attacks the rim, if he wants to get paid $ playing bb down the road, that's gonna be his $ move

the dude always has a smile on his face, t-wall just gotta love it not hate it

"to the best mom i could ask for...broke her back for a long time to make sure her kids were taken care of...did it on your own, always made sacrifices for me and my siblings and i love and appreciate you for that!...the strongest woman i know...literally my bestfriend, i call you when i'm sad or make dumb mistakes so you can make me feel better...we're argued, cried and laughed together but no matter what, you are always going to be my heart!...a true bestfriend bond that can never be broken!...you've always believed in me and been my #1 fan!...i just hope that one day that i can take care of you because you deserve it!...my inspiration, my hero!...i love you baby"
-tyrone wallace

tyrone wallace=man of steel

from an offensive strategy standpoint, t-wall starting at the 4 will create exploitable mismatches against slower, bigger power forwards that will allow him to relentlessly attack the basket which is the strength of his game...wallace's outside 3 pt shooting will also be more in rhythm (when his mechanics are rushed he tends to be inaccurate) against defenders that are not as quick as 2s & 3's to close out on him & contest his shot

wallace's biggest challenges will be on d against taller true 4s with skills like arizona's brandon ashley

t-wall is critical to the success of the 2014 bears

*********************************************************************************************

detailed analysis of t-wall's game by the draftexpress...please note that the nba is a billion dollar business that does not utilize internet scouting evaluations
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Tyrone-Wallace-58741/

*********************************************************************************************

"he can do a lot of things...there will be a lot of demands for his time on both ends of the floor...we've worked on the consistency of his shot...he's done a great job getting consistent reps...i tell him, "don't be just a 3 point shooter, let that be a part of your game"...he's a guy who's got to get to the rim, go to get to the free throw line"
-cuonzo martin

always smilin'#
Shocky1

jb represented cal at the kevin durant skills academy as one of the top 15 collegiate wings in the nation

jabari particpated at the adidas nations in long beach with this write up from callege basketball talk

"one of the players i wanted to see the most this week was cal sophmore wing jabari bird...the 6 foot 6 bird started the week slowly but came on strong during the final day of games on sunday...bird finally seemed more comfortable hunting his own offense and his jumper seemed to be more consistent as well...bird also rebounded the ball well from the wing and was engaged on the defensive end while battling some higher profile wings...the sophmore will be an interesting player to watch this season under bears' first year coach cuonzo martin and this week seemed like a step in the right direction for him going into year two in the pac 12"

nbadraft.net had a different take

"until sunday morning bird had had zero impact at nations...in fact his teammate and less heralded jordan mathews was having a better camp...bird is a strong leaper but his handles aren't where they need to be for a nba wing and he takes poor angles when he is attacking opponents off the dribble, making it appear he has a slow first step...because of how wide he dribbles the ball, on several occasions he either dribbled it off his foot or his opponent's foot...his jumper seemed a little flat and there was definite inconsistency in it's release...he was eager the pass to the post but tends to take too long to decide what he is going to do with the ball slowing down the tempo and flow of the game...he had a spectacular dunk on sunday dunking with two hands in the morning session...he also made quicker decisons and as a result had more success...foot speed, laterally in particular, is a concern with him"

even nelly (who looks like my favorite yoga teacher) knows that the bird must fly

detailed analysis of jabari's game on the draftexpress...a nba organization is a client of mine & they've told me that the development of a potential draft prospect's offensive game will not raise the valuation of a player if on the defensive end they are burned for 35+ points a night & don't rebound...internet scouting evaluations tend to focus on offensive skills which isn't how teams in the billion dollar nba biz prioritize draft prospects
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jabari-Bird-6467/

"we hope he's ready because he has the talent...he's 6'6" with a great wingspan...he does a great job of shooting the pullup in the lane...when he's missing shots, he's got to continue to stay aggressive...he's a very talented player but also the type of guy who wants to please his coach and do right"
-cuonzo martin

the bird man of alcatraz#
bay area's finest#
ibelieveNyou
Does anyone know how many of the current players have played on a championship team? Any level... name the championship?
teknofreek
ibelieveNyou;842378437 said:

Does anyone know how many of the current players have played on a championship team? Any level... name the championship?

Salesian High with Jabari Bird beat Price in 2012 for the CIF Boys Division 4 title.
Shocky1

"i really like the new staff a lot...they made it really easy for us in the transition...they were very welcoming and just really helped immediately with jumping in with the skill work and were just really engaged, letting us know that they were there for us"

"they watched tape on all of us before starting to work with us...for me, they want me to shoot the ball the same way every time so i can develop more consistency...they also want me to improve my handle and get us in the best physical condition we can be in because coach martin's style is up tempo and high intensity"
-jordan mathews

jordan's gotta work on his dribbling skills with his head/eyes up (instead of just lowering his shoulder & bodyslamming everybody over in front of him) and also his mental consistency & confidence with respects to his 3 point shooting...he's one of the hardest workers on the team, a real grinder....yeah, working out ain't fancy

jordan has gotta an absolutely pure outside stroke & when he's feeling it like it when he went off in eugene, mathews is en fuego & relentlessly unstoppable

"stay aggressive, attack the rim, play hard...he has the ability to score the ball...i love his toughness, he's very competitive...in some ways he reminds me of myself...he's a guy built for battle"
-cuonzo martin

man on fire#
Shocky1
my boy sammy singer is gonna be the bear's starting point guard this season & with the thin roster has gotta provide 28-32 mpg of solid leadership

dude is a bb player, just leave him some gym keys for his nighttime workouts...sam singer will not be outworked

i've been following singer's career for a while going back to conversations with his ransom everglades raiders head coach claude grubair re: sam's high character & his special ability to connect with people

my favorite memory of singer during the 2013 season was his ferocious fronting defense (mike went to a diamond d scheme with sam successfully denying the down low entry pass) against pac 12 leading rebounder/shot blocker 7'2" jordan bachynski during the asu game at haas which helped the bears get back into the game

you can learn a lot about a player by watching them during timeouts...singer was one of the few bears that was usually mentally engaged & supportive of his teammates during to's while other guys looked like they were lost in space

singer passed up too many open 3 pointers last season, he's gotta have confidence in his abilities & let it fly...otherwise, opposing pgs will pack the paint & double up on other bears

one of sammy's endearing qualities is that the dude likes to pat his teammates on the head like they are dogs...no doubt he's gonna adopt some rescue dogs down the road

"sam is fast in transition, makes great decisions...we want him to be more aggressive looking for his offense"
-cuonzo martin

cal's monster class#
ibelieveNyou
teknofreek;842378501 said:

Salesian High with Jabari Bird beat Price in 2012 for the CIF Boys Division 4 title.

So we have Nick Hamilton at Westchester High School winning the 2012-2013 CIF LOS ANGELES CITY DIVISION 1 championship and Jabari Bird with Salesian High School winning Division 4 championship.

Other players? The reason for the question is to find out how many players "know" what it is to play for a championship team. These players, BIRD and HAMILTON bring to the team the emotions and leadership it takes to move forward.

Surely, there are more players - in order to challenge for a championship you must have players who know the feeling and want it bad enough to play outside their comfort zone - players who can encourage other players around them.

STRIVING for a championship begins before the season - it begins mentally!
HoopDreams
this is a silly post IMHO, but I don't want this to end with such a negative spin, so I will answer your question

Besides Bird and Nick Hamilton winning championships, there is:

Domingo winning the U-17 World Championship (Gold Medal) in the 2012 FIBA U17 World Championship in Kaunas, Lithuania, Rooks lead his team to their first ever California Interscholastic Federation championship, and multiple tournament titles, numerous all-state, all-conference, Mr. Basketball, top rankings, top awards, and successful High School academic awards and achievements

There is no doubt that these players know how to win, know how to win championships, are celebrated athletes and students

ibelieveNyou;842378602 said:

So we have Nick Hamilton at Westchester High School winning the 2012-2013 CIF LOS ANGELES CITY DIVISION 1 championship and Jabari Bird with Salesian High School winning Division 4 championship.

Other players? The reason for the question is to find out how many players "know" what it is to play for a championship team. These players, BIRD and HAMILTON bring to the team the emotions and leadership it takes to move forward.

Surely, there are more players - in order to challenge for a championship you must have players who know the feeling and want it bad enough to play outside their comfort zone - players who can encourage other players around them.

STRIVING for a championship begins before the season - it begins mentally!
First Page Last Page
Page 116 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.