cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,256,080 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BearGreg
south bender
How long do you want to ignore this user?
HoopDreams;842378633 said:

this is a silly post IMHO, but I don't want this to end with such a negative spin, so I will answer your question

Besides Bird and Nick Hamilton winning championships, there is:

Domingo winning the U-17 World Championship (Gold Medal) in the 2012 FIBA U17 World Championship in Kaunas, Lithuania, Rooks lead his team to their first ever California Interscholastic Federation championship, and multiple tournament titles, numerous all-state, all-conference, Mr. Basketball, top rankings, top awards, and successful High School academic awards and achievements

There is no doubt that these players know how to win, know how to win championships, are celebrated athletes and students

Great post, HD, particularly your diplomatic labeling of the post to which you responded as being "silly."

Anyone who has paid attention to sports over the years knows that not all great athletes, even the greatest, always win titles in team sports. There are innumerable athletes in the halls of fame in their respective sports that never won titles. Ted Williams, considered by many as the greatest hitter of the modern era, never won a World Series. Jerry West won an NBA finals MVP award while playing on the losing team (no one else has done this), and won "only" one NBA title toward the end of his career. West was clearly a better player than any guard on the Celtics teams that won titles.

Enough said in response to the notion that titles alone determine who is a "winner," that only an athlete who has played on a title-winning team "knows" what it takes to win. A huge list could be made of great players in team sports who did not have the good fortune to win titles.
Shocky1

"i am thrilled for roger to have the opportunity to represent the cal family on the pac 12's all star tour of china...it will be great to see him compete against some of the best basketball programs in china and face former bear max zhang...roger will have a great educational experience"
-cuonzo martin

"roger grew up in cameroon, speaks fluent french, is attending college in the united states and will be traveling to china...some serious **** is gonna be lost in translation"
-anonymous stoopid dumb azz cal fan
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=lost+in+translation+more+than+this+video&FORM=VIRE2#view=detail&mid=42E8AAE7EAFCFC803CF042E8AAE7EAFCFC803CF0

watch the video, roger is articulate, enthusiastic & intellectually curious about the opportunity to visit china's great wall & tiananmen square...and yeah, he's clearly put some time in with the nicodemus s&c program
http://www.calbears.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209608060&DB_OEM_ID=30100

check out roger's comments re: china...rmab could potentially be the 1st guy off the bench & a 15-20 minute "energy" guy for the bears this season
http://www.calbears.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209622727&DB_OEM_ID=30100

"roger's done a real good job of improving his perimeter shot...he's obviously a great athlete...he runs the floor well, competes at a high level...what happens now?...don't become a jump shooter...he's a guy that can slash to the rim, run in transition, get rebounds...he's working hard"
-cuonzo martin

citizen of the world#
concordtom
ibelieveNyou;842378602 said:

So we have Nick Hamilton at Westchester High School winning the 2012-2013 CIF LOS ANGELES CITY DIVISION 1 championship and Jabari Bird with Salesian High School winning Division 4 championship.

Other players?

How about Mathews? I know his Santa Monica team advanced into the so-cal state playoff bracket, so I'd say they very well may have won the ocean conference. That's a championship! Westchester is more of a powerhouse, with surely a higher quality roster overall than Santa Monica. Oh wait... Mathews played for the state title in Sacramento. That means they won the entire southern section to advance up north. And would seem like they advanced in the state tourney further than westchester, who apparently ONLY won LA city. Hmmm.
I watched mathews on tv in the title game at Arco/sleep train. He was a warrior in that game, fighting back after an early injury and foul trouble (some questionable calls as I recall). Would have been nice to see what he could have done without such troubles in that game. It appeared to me he was carrying the team.
ibelieveNyou
concordtom;842378657 said:

How about Mathews? I know his Santa Monica team advanced into the so-cal state playoff bracket, so I'd say they very well may have won the ocean conference. That's a championship! Westchester is more of a powerhouse, with surely a higher quality roster overall than Santa Monica. Oh wait... Mathews played for the state title in Sacramento. That means they won the entire southern section to advance up north. And would seem like they advanced in the state tourney further than westchester, who apparently ONLY won LA city. Hmmm.
I watched mathews on tv in the title game at Arco/sleep train. He was a warrior in that game, fighting back after an early injury and foul trouble (some questionable calls as I recall). Would have been nice to see what he could have done without such troubles in that game. It appeared to me he was carrying the team.

Again, I make or ask because now we have 3 players that have played on championship teams. Mathews, Bird and Hamilton. The more the better. These guys and any other teammates that have played or come close to a championship know what it means and how it feels to win it all. I want to see the CAL BEARS take it all the way. Sometimes just believing in yourself can get you over the top!

However, Westchester played in a entirely better division than Santa Monica. In 2012 - 2013 City Championship over El Comino Real, runner up to Etwanda in southern california regional game, 2013 -2014 runner up city division 1 championship to El Comino Real & finalist in the southern california regionals to Mater Dei.
concordtom
ibelieveNyou;842378666 said:

Again, I make or ask because now we have 3 players that have played on championship teams. Mathews, Bird and Hamilton. The more the better. These guys and any other teammates that have played or come close to a championship know what it means and how it feels to win it all. I want to see the CAL BEARS take it all the way. Sometimes just believing in yourself can get you over the top!

However, Westchester played in a entirely better division than Santa Monica. In 2012 - 2013 City Championship over El Comino Real, runner up to Etwanda in southern california regional game, 2013 -2014 runner up city division 1 championship to El Comino Real & finalist in the southern california regionals to Mater Dei.

It would be unwise for me to engage in a quibbling match over who amongst our sturdy golden bears has had more success in high school, for we/they are a TEAM. I would be thrilled if your boy can score a fraction of the 30+ Mathews scored in carrying his team over Oregon last year as a freshman. Westchester - Santa Monica... doesn't really matter does for our purposes now, does it.

How are classes going? Heard any mind blowing lectures yet? How is college life? Got a good/weird/lame roommate? That's more interesting to me than what someone's high school team did. That does not define the individual. And neither does 30+ vs Oregon. These kids are still growing, learning, developing. Hanging on to yesterday will only get you so far. Hanging onto to basketball is folly. It will end in 4 fast years, and then there's another 70 or so to look forward to. Basketball will be a fun chapter that ended long ago. But, of course, Hamilton already knows this, for it's why he picked Cal, as you have shared. Smart kid whom I will be cheering for starting in about 1 month! Wish I had his athleticism and smarts when I was his age!

Go bears!
Shocky1
during labor day weekend of 2010 tony woods beat the crap out of his girlfriend in front of their 8 month old child...woods was arrested and charged with three counts of assault for kicking and pushing courney lorel barbout who suffered a fracture of her spine in the attack

against the 6'11" 250 lbs woods, courney had no chance to protect herself

wake forest did the right thing and suspended woods

so oregon's sleazeball mbb hc dana altman recruited woods to shore up the ducks interior defense

steve alford & dana altman are enablers of players that commit crimes of violence against women if it means they might win a few more games

dana altman is once again relying upon 6 transfers for the ducks 2013 season...2 of these transfers are srs: mike moser & jason calliste

the 2 sr transfers are not student athletes in any sense of the word...moser & calliste will arrive in the fall & then depart that spring with zero academic progress and/or achievement...they are like transients

beyond devaluing the already shaky oregon degree (which is considered a jc caliber education with its 90+% acceptance rate), those players that have worked within the bb program for several yrs are recruited over & benched in favor of guys who don't even know where the library is in eugene

so who else did altman recruit for the 2013 ducks?

*elgin cook, declared ineligible during hs in milwaukee for having a gpa under 2.0
http://themilwaukeedrum.com/2011/02/13/the-tragedy-of-elgin-cook-other-mps-black-student-athletes/

*jordan bell from lbp was declared ineligible before the school yr & will not join the roster until next season

*christiano felicio from brazil was declared ineligible by the ncaa after attending a roseville "prep school" handpicked by altman that is facing allegations of academic fraud & child abuse
http://fox40.com/2013/01/10/roseville-prep-academy-coach-arrested-for-physical-abuse/

bottom line
*****a cal degree helps you move forward in life & marry the girl of your dreams
*an oregon degree helps you get hired as the night shift supervisor at the truck stop in medford & probably marrying a lot lizard

*jaquan lyle, 2.5 gpa & suspended for fighting in high school is no longer listed on the oregon basketball roster because of admissions/eligibility issues...now enrolled at the img academy in florida

*ray kosongo has been denied admission by the university's special admission board

*mike moser, jason caliste, johnathan lloyd, richard amardi & waverly austin used up their eligiblity...not clear if any of them will ever earn an oregon diploma

*ben carter, suspended along with dominic artis for selling team issued shoes/gear, transfered to unlv

*a.j. lapray transferred to pepperdine

*brandon austin, 2.6 gpa in philly, was suspended from the providence basketball team after being charged with a sexual assault of a female student...he immediately was recruited & transferred to oregon...when confronted by the media, altman claimed he checked austin's background but did not know he raped a girl while at providence...recently named in the rape of an oregon female student...dismissed

*damyean dotson, suspended during the season for trying to use a fake id at a bar, considering transferring & currently not participating in team activities...recently named in the rape of an oregon female student...dismissed

*dominic artis will be transferring from oregon...dominic attended cal's last pac 12 home game at haas vs usc...i was speaking with his former hs ad at salesian chad nightingale (played wr for the bears) when da came over & said hello, it was clear to me that he wanted to speak privately with chad...recently named in the rape of an oregon female student...dismissed & currently attending contra costa cc as a student while practicing (but not playing) for the bb team

*elgin cook & jalil abdul bassit were arrested by the eugene pd for shoplifting at market of choice across the street from matthew knight arena on sept 12th...dana altman has stated "we expect our student athletes to conduct themselves as solid members of this community and team...both are being internally disciplined (which means nothing as usual)"
http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2014/10/two_oregon_ducks_basketball_pl.html

latest update from eugene:
*dana altman knews that elgin cook had been cited for assault & battery, disorderly conduct and vandalism four years ago in wisconsin before he recruited him to oregon...criminal dana altman has stated "i was aware of elgin's background prior to his arrival at the university of oregon...the two years before he arrived here, elgin did very well at prep school and junior college, especially in the classroom...we would not have recruited elgin if we didn't believe he was capable of receiving a college education that he would appreciate and value"
http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2014/10/dana_altman_was_aware_of_elgin.html

this is oregon basketball#
just do it#

what up, tyler?#
Shocky1
a 4th walk on (a big from texas) will be potentially joining cole welle, nick hamilton & brenden glapion this season (garrett galvin is no longer on the team) for the california golden bears

our mystery man is in the haas

xavier valdes, a 6'9" 225 lbs walk on from woodlands hs (a wealthy suburb of houston) with a 10.5 ppg with a 63% fg% last season is working to make the bears' roster...xavier grew up in guadalajara, mexico & yeah, he's heard of cal's former pac 12 mvp/current new jersey net jorge gutierrez

jorge gutierrez=american dream gone good

la familia de osos#
ibelieveNyou
concordtom;842378707 said:

It would be unwise for me to engage in a quibbling match over who amongst our sturdy golden bears has had more success in high school, for we/they are a TEAM. I would be thrilled if your boy can score a fraction of the 30+ Mathews scored in carrying his team over Oregon last year as a freshman. Westchester - Santa Monica... doesn't really matter does for our purposes now, does it.

How are classes going? Heard any mind blowing lectures yet? How is college life? Got a good/weird/lame roommate? That's more interesting to me than what someone's high school team did. That does not define the individual. And neither does 30+ vs Oregon. These kids are still growing, learning, developing. Hanging on to yesterday will only get you so far. Hanging onto to basketball is folly. It will end in 4 fast years, and then there's another 70 or so to look forward to. Basketball will be a fun chapter that ended long ago. But, of course, Hamilton already knows this, for it's why he picked Cal, as you have shared. Smart kid whom I will be cheering for starting in about 1 month! Wish I had his athleticism and smarts when I was his age!

Go bears!

You have it wrong... my interest was and is about how all these players that have been apart of championship teams could add to the team... regardless of their role on the team. As stated... THEY ARE ALL A TEAM... contributions to the team will come in a number of forms. I was not comparing players because each has a role... that role being what the coaches require... not self serving... so, as I said... they are a team... and all will contribute as the coach would like for them to contribute... you will have scorers... will have blockers... offensive and defensive players... all contributing to their best ability... GO BEARS, GO!
ibelieveNyou
Shocky1;842378888 said:

during labor day weekend of 2010 tony woods beat the crap out of his girlfriend in front of their 8 month old child...woods was arrested and charged with three counts of assault for kicking and pushing courney lorel barbout who suffered a fracture of her spine in the attack

against the 6'11" 250 lbs woods, courney had no chance to protect herself

wake forest did the right thing and suspended woods

so oregon's sleazeball mbb hc dana altman recruited woods to shore up the ducks interior defense

steve alford & dana altman are enablers of players that commit crimes of violence against women if it means they might win a few more games

dana altman is once again relying upon 6 transfers for the ducks 2013 season...2 of these transfers are srs: mike moser & jason calliste

the 2 sr transfers are not student athletes in any sense of the word...moser & calliste will arrive in the fall & then depart that spring with zero academic progress and/or achievement...they are like transients

beyond devaluing the already shaky oregon degree (which is considered a jc caliber education with its 90+% acceptance rate), those players that have worked within the bb program for several yrs are recruited over & benched in favor of guys who don't even know where the library is in eugene

so who else did altman recruit for the 2013 ducks?

*elgin cook, declared ineligible during hs in milwaukee for having a gpa under 2.0
http://themilwaukeedrum.com/2011/02/13/the-tragedy-of-elgin-cook-other-mps-black-student-athletes/

*jordan bell from lbp was declared ineligible before the school yr & will not join the roster until next season

*christiano felicio from brazil was declared ineligible by the ncaa after attending a roseville "prep school" handpicked by altman that is facing allegations of academic fraud & child abuse
http://fox40.com/2013/01/10/roseville-prep-academy-coach-arrested-for-physical-abuse/

bottom line
*****a cal degree helps you move forward in life & marry the girl of your dreams
*an oregon degree helps you get hired as the night shift supervisor at the truck stop in medford & probably marrying a lot lizard

*jaquan lyle, 2.5 gpa & suspended for fighting in high school is no longer listed on the oregon basketball roster because of admissions/eligibility issues

*ray kosongo has been denied admission by the university's special admission board

*mike moser, jason caliste, johnathan lloyd, richard amardi & waverly austin used up their eligiblity...not clear if any of them will ever earn an oregon diploma

*ben carter, suspended along with dominic artis for selling team issued shoes/gear, transfered to unlv

*a.j. lapray transferred to pepperdine

*brandon austin, 2.6 gpa in philly, was suspended from the providence basketball team after being charged with a sexual assault of a female student...he immediately was recruited & transferred to oregon...when confronted by the media, altman claimed he checked austin's background but did not know he raped a girl while at providence...recently named in the rape of an oregon female student...dismissed

*damyean dotson, suspended during the season for trying to use a fake id at a bar, considering transferring & currently not participating in team activities...recently named in the rape of an oregon female student...dismissed

*dominic artis will be transferring from oregon...dominic attended cal's last pac 12 home game at haas vs usc...i was speaking with his former hs ad at salesian chad nightingale (played wr for the bears) when da came over & said hello, it was clear to me that he wanted to speak privately with chad...recently named in the rape of an oregon female student...dismissed & currently attending contra costa cc as a student while practicing (but not playing) for the bb team

*elgin cook & jalil abdul bassit were arrested by the eugene pd for shoplifting at market of choice across the street from matthew knight arena on sept 12th...criminal dana altman has stated "we expect our student athletes to conduct themselves as solid members of this community and team...both are being internally disciplined (which means nothing as usual)"
http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2014/10/two_oregon_ducks_basketball_pl.html

latest update from eugene:
*dana altman knews that elgin cook had been cited for assault & battery, disorderly conduct and vandalism four years ago in wisconsin before he recruited him to oregon...criminal dana altman has stated "i was aware of elgin's background prior to his arrival at the university of oregon...the two years before he arrived here, elgin did very well at prep school and junior college, especially in the classroom...we would not have recruited elgin if we didn't believe he was capable of receiving a college education that he would appreciate and value"
http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2014/10/dana_altman_was_aware_of_elgin.html

this is oregon basketball#
just do it#

what up, tyler?#

Wow! Coaches wanted Nick... accepted to the UNIVERSITY OF OREGON for his academic success... and he thought about following his older brother Robert Hamilton [football recruit 2002] to Oregon... but decided CAL was the better place for his future beyond the court... good decision Nick... GO BEARS, GO!
Shocky1
christian behrens rocked a 3.5 gpa (he ain't a stoopid dumb azz) & served on the school leadership team at tahoma hs in washington before bringing his 30' vj & 80' wingspan to berkeley

what you may not know about christian behrens is that his dad bj died at their maple valley home following a 16 month battle against brain cancer in the early hours of feb 19, 2010...he had turned 53 the month prior and was known for his bravery & great sense of humor

christian has said of his father "i know he's looking down at me...i know he's proud and that's what i'm trying to do every day in what i do, make him proud"

there can be no doubt that bj, mom andrea & sister rachel are very proud of christian who has also fought back from 2 serious knee surgeries

next time you're at a bears game, make sure that you recognize and celebrate christian behrens & the road less traveled he's taken in life

bj & christian behrens

gregg gottlieb told me "i thought christian played a large role in winning at stanford...he impacted the game with his defense and rebounding at both ends of the court...with david and richard in foul trouble it allowed us to sustain our momentum...if he continues to bring that to the table he will earn more minutes"

christian behrens has no quit in him, he is relentless...he has stared down tragedy more than once and perservered

christian behrens is truly unbreakable & a great teammate

"tough work out today, but wouldn't want it any other way...gotta get better"
-christian behrens after 1st workout with new bears staff

christian behrens is practicing without a brace(s)...cuonzo martin told jeff faraudo that both behrens & roger moute a bidias impressed him at the 4 during limited workouts

"he (christian) improved every day...that's a great sign"
-cuonzo martin

"when you have knee injuries like that, i had four myself, you need to block that out...that's easier said than done...but he's built up his quads and his hamstrings...he's doing a great job competing...he has good tools and he's a better athlete than i anticipated...the key is to maintain his confidence"
-cuonzo martin

unbreakable#
the fast & furious#
south bender
Anyone who has seen Christian in an interview has to love the guy. He is a straightforward, humble person, just a good guy, and I am pulling for him all the way.
concordtom
Shocky1;842378888 said:

I can just hear Dana Altman now:

[INDENT]"Jesus Chris, Benny! Some jackass Cal fan down in Berkeley (Scottsdale, actually) keeps using, INCESSANTLY, the most GOD AWFUL photo of me in his blog. I swear, I'm not only going to kill him, but the sonofabitch photographer who ever posted that thing on the internet in the first place!"[/INDENT]
Shocky1
welcome dwight tarwater, a 6'6" 230 lbs blue collar bruiser, from the ivy leagues who will join the bears bb team for 1 season with immediate eligibility & enroll as a grad student in cal's school of public health despite have never seen berkeley

dwight rocked a 3.9 gpa at the academically rigorous webb school in knoxville along with a 23.2 ppg & 10.1 rpg...yeah, it's true, he ain't a dumb azz

like ricky kreklow, tarwater has not been a particularly accurate shooter, his strengths are rebounding (a team high 5.5 rpg last season) & muscular interior d support

"i've known that i've wanted to go to cal for a while (particularly when i read the monster class thread and saw the kind of girls that are attracted to cal basketball players)...i actually just received my letter of acceptance today"

"coach martin looked at a lot of (cornell) games this year when we played a lot of high majors and thought i performed really well against those types of teams...i wanted a spot where i could continue to grow as a player and a person (which pretty much ruled out dana altman & oregon)"

"everything (cuonzo) told me was unbelievable...he preaches family and hard work...i want to go in and do anything for my teammates and coaches...this is my last go around so i'm going to leave everything out there and play my hardest"
-dwight tarwater

yeah, dwight's gonna love california

"dwight is a guy who can make 3 point shots...he's 6'6" 230 pounds and knows how to do the little things: rebound, run the floor, set the screen...he's a great utility guy...he knows how to play the game, makes good decisions...he's a great addition to the program"
-cuonzo martin

no more shoneys#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including tennessee)
Shocky1
ibelieveNyou;842378952 said:

Wow! Coaches wanted Nick... accepted to the UNIVERSITY OF OREGON for his academic success... and he thought about following his older brother Robert Hamilton [football recruit 2002] to Oregon... but decided CAL was the better place for his future beyond the court... good decision Nick... GO BEARS, GO!

i dunno, an oregon degree is pretty helpful in getting a shift supervisor job at the truck stop in medford & eventually marrying a lot lizard

and then when those oregon cheerleaders leave eugene, they try to hook up & marry a cal, stanford or ivy league grad

real talk#
concordtom
Shocky1;842379244 said:

Sure, with those rocks and the (presumably) Monterey Pines, that looks like Big Sur. But, hell, ain't no way this photo hasn't been photoshopped to make our dark blue waters look like the caribbean or south pacific.
Fake or not, Big Sur is great. Big FIRST place anyone new to NorCal should go is here:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3809[/ATTACH]
Shocky1
welcome 7'1" 260 lbs "sir" kingsley okoroh, coach martin's 1st commitment to the california golden bears

spoke with okoroh's hc jai steadman at westwind prep (i'm an acquaintance/not a drinking buddy of former suns tom chambers whose twins sons also attend westwind) in phx who emphasized several times that kingsley is an outstanding young man

okoroh has a 3.0+ gpa & his dad michael is a professor of facilities mgmt at the university of derby's school of engineering & technology...his dad has a family policy of mandatory good grades in order to play sports & is harder on his sons re: academics than athletics...kingsley bro is a bodybuilder back in england

westwind's academic tutor hannah has told steadman that kingsely is very polite & actively engaged in his schoolwork...apparently hannah doesn't say this about all of jai's players

okoroh season stats: 18 ppg, 12 rpg, 6 bpg & 4 apg

steadman thinks that okoroh like most young bigs has significant development potential on offense & has a nice soft touch...he shot 79% on fts & did not attempt any 3 pters, apparently kingsley does not think of himself as a stretch 4 like some former players & recruits

defensively steadman compared him to dikembe mutombo in terms of his ability to be a monster shot blocker & rebounder but still needs more strength to reach his potential

jai also told me he has known cuonzo for yrs & that he knows kingsley is in "very good hands" with coach martin

most rating services have not seen okoroh play but tom chambers thinks okoroh with hard work could have nba potential

kingsley, welcome to the #1 ranked public university in the world (including waterford, england)

kingsley's loi has been signed & received by the bears staff

okoroh should be academically good to go between his education in england (low achievement students are funneled into trade schools), findlay prep classes, westwind prep coursework & additional credits at grand canyon university (15 minutes from westwind prep)

okoroh is ranked as the 5th best prospect in europe by espn's bb recruitiing services

"i like kinglsey's ability to block shots and protect the rim...he continues to make great strides with his offense...kingsley has great size at 7'1" 260 pounds and has the chance to get bigger and stronger in our strength and conditioning program...i think he has a bright future in front of him and has a chance to be really good"
-cuonzo martin

before nooner yoga today i spoke with classmate padraig o'brien, a trainer/basketall developer for hs, college & nba (including 5 lottery picks) ballers...padraig has known westwind prep hc jai steadman for yrs & worked with this season's squad

padraig told me that kingsley is a very well mannered & polite young man who looks like a nba player when he walks in the door...his "strength is his ability to run & get up & down the floor"...he has not developed any reliable post interior moves at this time (which is typical for a young big)

i'm not gonna repeat padraig's funny comment but basically kingsley biggest challenge is that he hasn't quite developed his inner bad azz yet

when i mentioned the impressive okoroh video clip of blocking shots like mutombo, he laughed & said "when you play 70 games like westwind did this season, you can put together an impressive film package on anyone"

bottom line, padraig thinks kingsley has a significant upside but that the cal coaches are gonna have light a fuse or two with our english gentleman to spark his motor...king has gotta lose the polite gentleman afternoon tea at the dorchester mentality & become a relentless attacker like london's burning

"when we signed king, we knew he was a guy who could be good in the future...i think he will play early...he's still growing offensively...he's done a great job with his body...he's always been a shot blocker, he can rebound, outlet the ball...he has a defensive mindset first...he's really improved since he got here"
-cuonzo martin

never mind the bollocks#
Shocky1

brandon's family lives in virginia & he boarded this yr at the shannon forest christian school in greenville, sc & played for the school's 22 feet prep team which played a 40+ game schedule vs elite east coast teams

chauca missed half of this season with mono & is only now getting his health back together after blowing up at the pittsburgh jam fest april 25-27 with several electrifying 3 pt shooting performances

dude is a lefty & has former pac 12 mvp jerome "rome around the world" nba range along with an effective floater he developed this season

cal monsters come in all sizes

23.1 ppg, 7.4 apg, 3.1 rpg, 3.7 spg, 90% fts, 64% fgs& 49% 3 pters

brandon chauca is also an outstanding student athlete with a cumulative (attended multiple high schools) gpa of 3.75

welcome brandon chauca & his family (mom brenda, dad john, former military sniper & sister breana) to the cal basketball family

"they've got great coaches and i like how the academics are world class over there too...it's very multi-cultural and a very prestigious university...there's a lot of history in berkeley and some great minds have come out of that university"
-brandon chauca, 2014 bears commit

"we are excited for the opportunity to have brandon join the cal family...he has the ability to distribute and score the basektball...in high school he displayed excellent range with his shot...brandon also has the foot speed to be a good on ball defender"
-cuonzo martin

"brandon can make shots, he's very aggressive, he can run a team...he's better at knocking down the 3 point shot than the other (point guards)"
-cuonzo martin

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including the east coast, peru & the philippines)
Vineyardview
Kerwin Roach JR great academic record, popular man on campus and great athlete. This guy seems to have it all!

calumnus
concordtom;842379271 said:

Sure, with those rocks and the (presumably) Monterey Pines, that looks like Big Sur. But, hell, ain't no way this photo hasn't been photoshopped to make our dark blue waters look like the caribbean or south pacific.
Fake or not, Big Sur is great. Big FIRST place anyone new to NorCal should go is here:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3809[/ATTACH]

Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park off Highway 1 (Big Sur), and yes, it really can look like that. Was just there again this summer. The water in the cove is shallow, so it is not dark blue. Usually light blue, green or aqua, depending on the light, waves, and the time of day.

When visiting Big Sure I also highly recommend drinks at Napenthe and the hot springs at Essalen.

Shocky1
the bears are fiercely practicing in the wee hours of the morning...whereas mike's practices involved more discussions of strategies, etc., cuonzo's practices are uber high tempo cardio workouts that are signficantly more physically demanding for the bears

this year's practices end with the guards & wings competing in a drill designed to simulate a close game environment...guys are working with tired legs as the scoreboard is set to 60 seconds...then with the student managers rebounding & then getting the ball to yanni at the free throw line for his distrubution to the guards & wings...the clock starts ticking down from 60 seconds & with huf screaming encouragement & passing out the 2 basketballs in play the bears have 3 guys behind the 3 point line who must make 15 shots before time runs out

what happens if they don't make 15 shots during the 60 seconds?

then the whole drill is repeated again...and again...until infinity & beyond and the task is completed

so who is en fuego?

jabari & jordan are lighting it up as expected but stephen domingo is absolutely draining the rock ala alan crabbe

stephen domingo reclassified (graduated from st ignatius a year earlier than his class) & then headed as a top 30 recruit to the east coast to georgetown...he was neither mentally or physically ready at that time & he got lost in the snow & the shuffle...now he's back in the bay with his family & friends and the dude has got his confidence back...domingo is gonna be a big part of the bears attack in 2015

60 seconds#
the final countdown#
bearmanpg
Totally agree.....16 year olds shouldn't be expected to succeed in those situations.....good to hear he is thriving here again
Shocky1
Shocky1
12 year nba veteran sean rooks has indicated that while kameron's injury is disappointing, it is also a golden opportunity for his son to take his conditioning to the next level & also further develop his post moves during this upcoming blueshirt season...there is zero chance that kam is gonna play this season, that would not be in his best interests

jay john once told me that when he (and lute olson) coached sean during college it took a while before he developed into an unstoppable force

a former pac 12 head coach & a current pac 12 assistant coach have both told me that kameron is going to be "an absolute load" & "powerhouse down low" during his cal career

and yeah, kam loves his sister khayla too

kameron's gotta stay focused (which is hard to do if you have monkey voices in your head like me) with the nicodemus s&c program & not dream about drinking mimosas at the krabby patty

how shocky paid his way thru cal#

"kam's doing well...when i first got here, kam was laid back...now kam is hungry and aggressive...he wants more in those workouts, he's hungry to get on the floor"
-cuonzo martin

krusty krab#
Shocky1
Shocky1
attended the 9:00 am basketball practice this morning...if stephen domingo can add basket attacking & mid range weapons to his already lethal perimeter 3 point shooting arsenal, he's gonna be one of the pac 12's top newcomers in 2015...as a former top 30 player, stephen is a great 1st addition to the 2015 california golden bears recruiting class

then went to the bears basketball alumni get together at dwinelle plaza...congrats to sean lampley on finishing up his cal degree this past year...make no mistake about it, both christian behrens & roger moute a bidias have mad bean toss skills

as for the football team, the combination of unforced offensive mistakes, physical fatigue from 3 road trips already this season (players get home from night games literally the next day) & the stress of midterms contributed to a black out day for the bears

Bearprof
Shocky1;842379998 said:

12 year nba veteran sean rooks has indicated that while kameron's injury is disappointing, it is also a golden opportunity for his son to take his conditioning to the next level & also further develop his post moves during this upcoming blueshirt season...there is zero chance that kam is gonna play this season, that would not be in his best interests

jay john once told me that when he (and lute olson) coached sean during college it took a while before he developed into an unstoppable force

a former pac 12 head coach & a current pac 12 assistant coach have both told me that kameron is going to be "an absolute load" & "powerhouse down low" during his cal career

and yeah, kam loves his sister khayla too

kameron's gotta stay focused (which is hard to do if you have monkey voices in your head like me) with the nicodemus s&c program & not dream about drinking mimosas at the krabby patty

how shocky paid his way thru cal#

"kam's doing well...when i first got here, kam was laid back...now kam is hungry and aggressive...he wants more in those workouts, he's hungry to get on the floor"
-cuonzo martin

krusty krab#

Kam Rook's sister must be very tall herself (over 6 ft) or standing on something in that photo based on the height of her head in the photo. I've stood next to him and he is enormous.
Shocky1
Bearprof;842381179 said:

Kam Rook's sister must be very tall herself (over 6 ft) or standing on something in that photo based on the height of her head in the photo. I've stood next to him and he is enormous.

both kameron's sister khayla & mom susie attended yesterday morning's practice...both are probably 6'+...kameron participated in some drills & did not have any crutches/braces, he's recovering well from his surgery

jon harris told me he's really looking forward to working with kam & that he's a high character guy, very coachable

sam, jabari & jordan noticed kam's mom & sister at practice and made a point of coming over to warmly greet them...i consider the 2013 cal basketball class a very special group for reasons that extend upon their considerable basketball skills

cal's monster class#
Bobodeluxe
Shocky1;842380164 said:

This photo is azzbackwards.
Shocky1
what up with former cal standout qb, aaron rodgers, 3.6 gpa/1300 sat?

today he faked a spike & led the packers to a last minute game winning touchdown vs the dolphins

the green bay packers & rodgers agreed on a 5 yr $110m contract extension making aaron the highest paid per season player in nfl history

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including chico & wisconsin)

cal ain't the easiest school around but there are significant benefit$ in life for those willing to take on the challenge

don't be a dumb azz#
Shocky1
Bobodeluxe;842381350 said:

This photo is azzbackwards.

r u calling me a dumb azz?
Shocky1

"sat tutoring this morning with rell"
"#back in school mode"
-oscar frayer

schoolwork matters#
# of twitter followers ain't gonna help you achieve your dreams#

oscar's gonna surprise a lot of folks with his choice of a date for the moreau catholic junior prom

"off this for a while, focusing on school, basketball and my future and twitter can't help me with any of those"
-oscar frayer

oscar attended yesterday's morning practice on an unofficial visit with a bay area hs baller buddy

cal family#
what up, damari?#
Shocky1
marco harris is the director of operations for cal basketball & grew up with cuonzo martin in east st louis...harris originally attended southern illinois until the centerfielder figured out he couldn't hit a 97 mph fastball & then graduated as a team captain in basketball at southwestern oklahoma state with a degree in business management...one of his primary responsibilities as director of ops for the tennessee basketball program was the academic progress & graduation of its student athletes

having watched more cal basketball games in person than anybody not directly involved with the program, i told harris that my biggest disappointment with last season's california golden bears was the failure of justin cobbs & richard solomon to graduate despite both being around one semester away from earning their cal degrees...both cobbs & solomon told the prior staff they intended to finish up their schoolwork but then stopped going to classes & withdrew from cal after the nit game vs smu in dallas so they could focus upon the nba workouts & combines...neither got their names called on the nba's draft day at nyc's radio city hall

marco harris is absolutely passionate about academics & his men graduating from college ("men take care of their business")...tennesse scored an outstanding 980 on their most recent apr score for men's basketball...when i asked him why they didn't score a perfect 1000, it is obvious that harris is still annoyed about the 980...marco told me that a volunteer freshman "didn't take care of his business" last season & that he still talks with the guy encouraging him to work harder in the classroom

when i asked for specifics re: how cal will avoid future cobb & solomon deals in the future for nba prospects, marco told me that while at tennesse they recognized that jordan mccrae had serious nba potential so they designed an academic program which included summer school classes which allowed mccrae to graduate in basically 3 and a half years with a degree in sociology & criminal justice...this allowed jordan after the volunteers sweet 16 season to focus upon the nba workouts & combines...dude left tennessee with a degree & as the 58th overall pick at the nba draft of the san antonio spurs who then traded his rights that night to the philadelphia 76ers

cal's student athletes are gonna be in good hands under the watchful eyes of marco harris

don't be a dumb azz#
NYCGOBEARS
Shocky1;842381594 said:

marco harris is the director of operations for cal basketball & grew up with cuonzo martin in east st louis...harris originally attended southern illinois until the centerfielder figured out he couldn't hit a 97 mph fastball & then graduated as a team captain in basketball at southwestern oklahoma state with a degree in business management...one of his primary responsibilities as director of ops for the tennessee basketball program was the academic progress & graduation of its student athletes

having watched more cal basketball games in person than anybody not directly involved with the program, i told harris that my biggest disappointment with last season's california golden bears was the failure of justin cobbs & richard solomon to graduate despite both being around one semester away from earning their cal degrees...both cobbs & solomon told the prior staff they intended to finish up their schoolwork but then stopped going to classes & withdrew from cal after the nit game vs smu in dallas so they could focus upon the nba workouts & combines...neither got their names called on the nba's draft day at nyc's radio city hall

marco harris is absolutely passionate about academics & his men graduating from college ("men take care of their business")...tennesse scored an outstanding 980 on their most recent apr score for men's basketball...when i asked him why they didn't score a perfect 1000, it is obvious that harris is still annoyed about the 980...marco told me that a volunteer freshman "didn't take care of his business" last season & that he still talks with the guy encouraging him to work harder in the classroom

when i asked for specifics re: how cal will avoid future cobb & solomon deals in the future for nba prospects, marco told me that while at tennesse they recognized that jordan mccrae had serious nba potential so they designed an academic program which included summer school classes which allowed mccrae to graduate in basically 3 and a half years with a degree in sociology & criminal justice...this allowed jordan after the volunteers sweet 16 season to focus upon the nba workouts & combines...dude left tennessee with a degree & as the 58th overall pick at the nba draft of the san antonio spurs who then traded his rights that night to the philadelphia 76ers

cal's student athletes are gonna be in good hands under the watchful eyes of marco harris

don't be a dumb azz#

Great post shocky.
socaltownie
NYCGOBEARS;842381597 said:

Great post shocky.

+1. And exactly right.
Bobodeluxe
Shocky1;842381438 said:

r u calling me a dumb azz?

No. The print shows Albany hill and the city of Richmond to the south.

Evans Hall is shown, as is the abandoned PG&E natural gas tank in Point Richmond, which was removed in the mid seventies, dating the picture in the early seventies.
First Page Last Page
Page 117 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.