cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,264,110 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BearGreg
sluggo_Cal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
concordtom;842434147 said:

This is a bit of idiot's delight, b/c WSU was going to win in any case after we failed to steal the inbounds pass and fouled with 1.1 left.
So, let's say he misses the shot, we grab it, and call TO. How many tenths of a second are coming off the clock?
And then it's not the NBA where you advance the ball to midcourt.
I hadn't considered a TO, so I'll side with you on this one. But the game was lost either way.

I think in most cases Cal would get the ball before time expired on a miss. You also risk an airball if you try to miss. Players get confused when trying to miss. I agree that in most cases this does not matter, but it is the matter at hand.

Sluggo
south bender
Regarding the intentionally missed free throw, it is an absolutely easy thing to accomplish without shooting an air ball. The shooter simply makes a hard two handed pass aimed at the rim, even slightly below the center point. If a basketball player cannot hit iron in this manner, then he ought to replace hoops with knitting or tiddly winks.
Shocky1
Shocky1;842433133 said:

bad news: the let's fire stevie fan club keeps growing among bruins fans with ucla's 6th loss of the season to colorado

good news: bryce was able to jack up 16 shots as a shoot 1st pass 2nd point guard...yeah, making only 2 of the 16 and missing all 9 3 pointers is kinda besides the point

ruh roh#

bad news: the bruins played with no heart in losing to utah 71-39 for ucla's 7th loss of the season

good news: bryce was able to get off 10 shots...yeah, he missed on all 10 shots but that's kinda besides the point

this is ucla basketball#
south bender
In defense of Alford, the player. He leads his team in scoring at 15.7 ppg; he leads his team in assists at 5.9 apg (second high is Powell at 2,1 apg), shoots 91% from the free throw line. It is not at all obvious that he plays a lot (leading UCLA in minutes per game) simply because he is the coach's son, as Shocky likes to claim. And I recall how he pretty much murdered us in at least one of our two games with UCLA last year.

But, then again, I don't like to confuse Shocky with facts... Iirc, he himself has admitted to being a dumb Azz. (But then again who is not at least some of the time?)

Go Bears!
Shocky1
bryce is usually a very good 2, his dad playing him at the 1 is a mistake & is significantly negatively impacting ucla recruiting
south bender
Shocky1;842434231 said:

bryce is usually a very good 2, his dad playing him at the 1 is a mistake & is significantly negatively impacting ucla recruiting

Bryce has a 2.4 assist to turnover average, and averages 5.9 apg. So who on the Bruins is going to take the 1 from him?

Your shtick has been that papa Alford's blatant nepotism explains Bryce's role on the team. I would say the stats do not bear that out.

And if Bryce is "a very good 2," why would some crackerjack 1 be afraid to commit to UCLA? If I am that 1, I assume Bryce can slide to the 2 to make immediate room for me on the court.
Shocky1
south bender;842434286 said:

Bryce has a 2.4 assist to turnover average, and averages 5.9 apg. So who on the Bruins is going to take the 1 from him?

Your shtick has been that papa Alford's blatant nepotism explains Bryce's role on the team. I would say the stats do not bear that out.

And if Bryce is "a very good 2," why would some crackerjack 1 be afraid to commit to UCLA? If I am that 1, I assume Bryce can slide to the 2 to make immediate room for me on the court.

the bruins have missed out on their last half a dozen pg recruits because of dad's insistence upon playing his son at the 2

you clearly haven't seen bryce's overmatched efforts at guarding other 1s on defense and/or his repeated dribbling to nowhere

re: bryce's 15.7 ppg, it's only because he is a volume shooter, he's shooting only 38% on fgs & 32% on 3 pointers

stats are not the whole story here other than the 7 losses this season for a once storied basketball dynasty program with los angeles as its recruiting background

socaltownie
Shocky1;842434293 said:

the bruins have missed out on their last half a dozen pg recruits because of dad's insistence upon playing his son at the 2

you clearly haven't seen bryce's overmatched efforts at guarding other 1s on defense and/or his repeated dribbling to nowhere

re: bryce's 15.7 ppg, it's only because he is a volume shooter, he's shooting only 38% on fgs & 32% on 3 pointers

stats are not the whole story here other than the 7 losses this season for a once storied basketball dynasty program with the los angeles as its recruiting background

+1. After this weekend I am feeling sorry for Balford. It simply has to suck to struggle when your dad is going to get all the bad mojo X 1000 that your play leads to. Honestly probably cost Lou C his job and we are a tolerant crowd (though Kyle could not dribble left without looking at the ball ;-)
Shocky1
Shocky1;842383084 said:

good evening ladies & gentlemen, i'm sir william shocky shakeyspeare & welcome to english 23, the study of the oakland super hero...i'm substituting for professor dr kelly thompson as she is away getting a brazilian wax in preparation for the san francisco opera's magnificient production of la boheme but i digress...tonight's seminar will focus on the words and the meaning behind those words with respects to oakland super hero, mr ivan rabb

let us examine the most recent comments by mr rabb regarding the arizona basketball program

"they told me that they feel like that they have everything as a program that i need to reach my goals"

one must wonder how the arizona coaching staff thinks a mediocre education from the university of arizona and it's 2014 88% acceptance rate will help mr rabb achieve his goals...do they think he wants to be a shift supervisor at the chipotle on country club?

"showed me a lot of clips of aaron gordon and derrick williams and how they utilized them and how i could make a similar impact"

interesting to note that mr miller did not show any clips of former bishop o'dowd superstar brandon ashley who has not developed as expected in tuscon...earlier comments from chance comanche, caleb swanigan & steven zimmerman reveal that they have been show the exact same clips and promised the same glorious utilization and false nba dreams of stardom

"they told me that they fly on charter flights and how it would be easier to get home instead of waiting in an airport to be able to get to class the next morning"

did mr miller also explain that most airlines don't fly nonstop to tuscon without a stop first at the phoenix airport because it's a second rate city?

"it's (the relationship with the arizona staff) gotten a lot better since i told them i wanted to visit (on an official trip)"

this is clearly a manipulative and dysfunctional relationship...mr miller and his staff's interest in mr rabb is limited to whatever he can do for them on the basketball court...as long as he acquiesces to their demands, he will be in favor with them

"i talked to aaron gordon...he told me to at least take a visit and that i would have the time of my life...he said i wouldn't want to leave...he said every game is on tv, the fans are the best in the country and that every game is a sell out"

this is predictable advice from a non student athlete baller who had zero interest in academics and/or business development skills during his 8 months in tuscon...it is possible that mr gordon doesn't even realize that there is a university component of the arizona basketball program

in summary, one can only conclude that arizona is a glorified junior college with a successful basketball program and that tuscon is a dump

i will be more than happy to visit with any of you during office hours but mostly this comment is directed at the brunette with the shapely legs sitting in the 7th row...yes, i'm talking about you, don't make me growl like a bear

good evening

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world

ivan rabb has returned home from his official visit to arizona this weekend

a very large wildcat donor/golf buddy has told me the visit according to their staff "went well, not great" & that the weather was unseasonably cold in tucson & the students were on break during the wildcats victory at mckale over asu

it is believed ivan's leaders are cal, kentucky & arizona with kansas & ucla just slightly behind

he also sent me (for the millionth time) the following reminder below which you must click for a larger image:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]3760[/ATTACH]

whatever (that is so like 2014)

a common characteristic of important people in my life is a rather remarkable level of immaturity
Shocky1

ohana#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842419215 said:

tyler dorsey's espn's sportscenter dunk

tyler dorsey scored 40 points on an efficient 11-15 fgs along with 10 boards a bunch of assists, blocks & steals despite 4 fouls as the marantha minutemen declawed the diamond ranch panthers 86-69
Shocky1
the california golden bears with huf leading the charge are the early leader for ike anigbogu, a 6'9" 225 lbs 2016 true student athlete with a cal offer from corona centennial, a so cal high school powerhouse...anigbogu is highly athletic with long arms and wide shoulder & is developing rapidly despite being only 16 years old and being relatively new to the game

ike is of nigerian descent and comes from a family that places a strong emphasis upon academic achievement...anigbogu is also interested in stanford & his sister attends ucla on a full academic scholarship

huf is well regarded by both ike & his also cal recruited teammate 2017 big jalen hill

as the bears staff evaluates & prioritizes prospects for the cal's 2016 howlin' at the moon class led by oscar frayer, gpas & test scores will be factors when finalizing actionable offers

the huskies standout is coached by josh giles & will be checking out this bears this week vs usc & ucla

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (including nigeria)
Shocky1

extra practice before the bears flew from oakland to los angeles this evening
[video]https://instagr.am/p/xhk7TQOV50[/video]

$mooth $troke#
89Bear
Shocky1;842434941 said:

extra practice before the bears flew from oakland to los angeles this evening
[video]https://instagr.am/p/xhk7TQOV50[/video]

$mooth $troke#

Outstanding! Great job, David!!
Shocky1
congratulations to jalen hill a 6'7" 180 lbs 2017 wing from corona centennial & the compton magic on his 1st collegiate offer from head coach cuonzo martin on behalf of the university of california, berkeley, the #1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world

dad george is 6'8" & played at kansas state...jalen has size 15 feet & is projected to potentially grow to 6"10"+

jalen has yet to visit berkeley but as he continues to build strong relationships with huf & the cal staff expect a future road trip to the san francisco bay area for the hill family

Shocky1
if the bears are gonna play with crazy azz energy & little kid freedom in order to defeat usc tomorrow nite, who is gonna be the most important california golden bear in this endeavor?

that would be "the blocker"

ok, got it, you need a little background info 1st

last year's worst road game travesty (the debacle in santa barbara at the literally freezing thunderdome would be a close 2nd) was a then undefeated bears losing to the trojans at the galen center

the bench was absolutely zombie like quiet during the entire game, a chess team could've made more noise than them...literally the only sounds in the near empty galen center (other than the over amplified dj spinning tunes trying to cover up the lack of actual fans in the building) were myself & annie montgomery (a former trojan volleyball player) screaming at the guys to wake up

but that didn't happen

solo was crying like a candy azz soft silly little bitch because omar "unibrow" oraby was pushing him in the paint...boo hoo

cobbs was snapping at his teammates & looking constipated

jeff powers was fuming because he didn't get more playing time

jabari was sulking because mike was yelling at him to actually play defense (to his credit, jb's attitude is 100% better this year)

and the rest of the bench including the student managers were staring like horny 13 year olds at the usc cheerleaders (who are strategically sitting literally inches from the end of the cal bench) & whispering to each other about them with their hands over their mouths during an important pac 12 basketball game

but look, i'm not a whiner, i'm a ******* problem solver

the bears need to designate kameron rooks as "the blocker" for the usc game

kam will need to sit at the very end of the cal bench & turn his chair in such a way that he "blocks" the rest of the bench's views of the usc song girls

trust me, if cal wins this battle at the galen center, "the blocker" will deserve the game ball

thank you, kam

attention to details#
Shocky1
tyler dorsey scored 41 points on 14-25 fgs along with 10 boards, 5 assists & 5 turnovers as the marantha minutemen were head butted 102-92 by the millikan rams with coaches martin, webster & hufnagel checking out td

Shocky1
the trojans are led by crafty #11 6'1" 170 lbs jordan mclaughlin (12.7 ppg & 4.9 apg with .293 3 point %), serbian #32 6'1" 230 lbs nikola jovanovic (12.1 ppg & 8.1 rpg) & volume shooter #1 6'6" 205 lbs katin reinhardt (10.3 ppg with .323 3 point %)

pg mclaughlin is day to day after dislocating his right should in the 2nd half vs utah last friday & dnp sunday vs colorado...jordan spent most of the summer rehabbing from surgery on his left shoulder

the trojans are gonna be fired up for tonite's game, count on it:

"must win game"-sophmore guard julian jacobs
"bad look" (describing utah & colorado road losses)-freshman malik martin
"our players need to understand there's a sense of urgency for every game"-coach andy enfield

the trojans are a pretty good rebounding team with a constant rotation of fresh players continuing enfield's non star system (non nba development) he 1st implemented at florida gulf coast...with a team .301 3 point shooting average, the bears need to help each other out around the basket & block out to nullify the trojans board crashers

but most importantly, the bears got play loose like little kids playing basketball on the playground with their best friends...make a little noise, roar a little bit & keep your head in the game

if you live in so cal, you gotta get to the galen center tonite for the 8:00 pm tip off

Shocky1
Shocky1;842434575 said:

ohana#

"the visit went well...arizona is a great option for ivan...the coaching was hospitable and informative...arizona is definitely a school you have to see to believe"
-tami rabb
NVBear78
Shocky1;842435189 said:

"the visit went well...arizona is a great option for ivan...the coaching was hospitable and informative...arizona is definitely a school you have to see to believe"
-tami rabb

But what does this mean.....reading the tea leaves
Shocky1
Shocky1;842307037 said:

pat haden is a former rose bowl winning qb at sc who also had a successful tenure at a flourishing private equity firm & is currently the athletic director at usc

he is really, really smart (rhodes scholar) & really, really gullible

pat & i have had 4 interactions during the last couple of yrs

1) i was on the practice putting green at san francisco golf club (where i used to caddie during my hs & cal days, rick rhoads was the pro then too) at 8:00 am on the thursday morning of the usc/cal fb game at att park when mr rhoads told me the visiting usc golf team would be sending out 3 groups (college golfers play notoriously slow, they tend to read putts from 3-4 spots before putting & then mark their balls even if they are a foot from the hole) & asked if i would like to go off the 10th tee as a single player with my caddie (which means i could walk 18 holes in 2 & 1/2 hrs instead of almost 5 hrs)

i thanked mr rhoads & yelled at at my caddie pat "hey pat, we're gonna go off on 10, grab some tees and let's roll"

so the other player putting on the green walks toward me and starts pulling tees out of his pockets...i said to him "sorry about that, i was talking to pat my caddie, you're pat haden, right"...and we had a nice converation (i did not ask him if the cash payment envelopes that ex bb hc floyd used to pay oj mayo were athletic dept issued or from floyd's personal collection)

my caddie pat thought it was pretty great that a guest like me (a former caddie) would tell a guest to go get him some tees & when we finished our round the entire caddyshack high fived me

2) i was at a cal/usc game fb massacre at the coliseum in the high donor trojan section (al cowlings, oj's white bronco driver buddy & his drunk azz lady friend sat behind us) at midfield (they have hostesses bring you free food & drinks all game...they are very flirty but i behaved myself & did not ask for any lap dances)

so usc is up like 42-3 or something at halftime & an enthusiastic pat haden is making the rounds...when he gets to me he says "wow, this couldn't be going any better, could it?"

i told him "i don't know about that, maybe the bears could run the 2nd half kickoff back for a touchdown"

there's a flicker of recongition in his eyes as pat realizes i'm messing with him...he gives me a fake laugh & starts talking to the group next to me

3) pat haden is a member at lacc, the valley club of montecito & pine valley...i'm putting out on the 18th green of the north at los angeles country club with some buddies & i spot pat getting ready to tee off on the adjacent 1st tee

so i yell out "hey pat"...he looks over trying to figure out who i am, you can tell he has no idea who i am...so i yell again a little bit louder "hey pat" & start doing a couple of fist pumps while i yell his name

so haden finally yells back "hey, how's it going?" while fist pumping me back

i look him in the eyes & yell "go bears"

haden immediately stops fist pumping me back & his group all starts laughing...heard one of his guys saying "pat, i think you just got punked"

4) last nite i bought in front of galen a scalper tix from jeff capehart (who told me he was a former cal bb player in the 1980s) & then just sat in the 1st row behind the cal bench (i believe strongly in the principle in open seating)

there's a little walkway between the 1st row & the cal bench so who walks by but a widely smiling pat haden, most likely greatly enthused by the trojans clownpunking of the bears

so as he walks by i say "excuse me, pat, when will i will receiving a pine valley invitation from you?"

he looks at me & says with a wink "it all depends on your donations this year"

i look him in the eye (we're about the same height) & tell him, "pat, there's probably a better chance i'm going to donate to the el paso school of bartending that usc"

my buddy pat realizes i'm messing with him (again) & gives me another fake smile and walks away

kinda getting the vibe from pat that i ain't gonna be invited to sit on his selection commmitte for the next trojan bb hc

my favorite trojan#

sure hope i see my pal pat again tonite at the galen center
Shocky1
Shocky1;842408630 said:

zach collins, a top 50 2016 6'10" 215 lbs power forward from bishop gorman (coached by zach's father, mike) in las vegas has narrowed his finalists to 8 schools with arizona, unlv, gonzaga & new mexico assured official visits...the collins family intends to make an unofficial visit to cal this weekend when bishop gorman plays a monster opening game vs ivan rabb's bishop o'dowd dragons on saturday november 29th at 8:30 pm at newark memorial in the nor cal tip off classic

zach was 6'8" as a freshman & has grown another 2 inches and is continuing to grow into his body...he is extremely blue collar physical & also possesses a strong pick & pop game with an accurate shooting touch

zach & his dad have built strong relationships with both cuonzo martin & jon harris...cal is the only academically prestigious school on the finalist list & zach has also stated he is interested in staying close to home if possible...relationships with coaches & style of play will be key factors in this decision

the collins family isn't turning zach's recruitment into a circus, he's gonna decide very early with a targeted decision date of march 2015 with a signing date of november 2015

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (including nevada)

zach collins has set up his first 3 official visits:

cal-january 14th (stanford game)
new mexico-february 21st
gonzaga-february 28th

schools competing for the final 2 official visits are: hometown unlv, utah, oklahoma, san diego state & asu...arizona is now out of the picture with the commitment from tj leaf at the 4
Shocky1
[video=youtube;R_fShwQlANc][/video]

emotion#
ncbears
Go Bears. http://www.rantsports.com/clubhouse/2014/04/04/15-hot-female-athletes-who-are-only-famous-for-their-looks/?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=Taboola&utm_term=Title1&&utm_content=comicbookresources#slide_34
Shocky1
so i wait until the usc player introductions & the lights are turned down at the galen center to snag a floor seat

but guess who's standing in front of me, waving an angry finger at me when the lights come back on?

my pal pat haden wearing an ugly azz grey/blue suit with a red striped tie

and pat is furious, honestly i think someone has sent him a link to the cal's monster class thread because he's turning bright orange like i'd poisoned traveler or something

pat: what you are doing here?

me: sitting?

pat: not here you're not, let's go

me: pat, i'm not sure that outfit is working for you

pat: (putting his hand on my shoulder to help me get up): let's go

me: pat, why can't i be your special guest tonite?

pat: (shaking his head & fuming and looking over at security) now

yeah, i got owned by my pal pat tonite

this ain't over

mailed it in#
concordtom
Are you serious?
Why would the AD even think about booting you?
He'd get security to do it.

No way.
Shocky1
tyler dorsey scored 36 points with 16 rebounds & 5 assists as the marantha minutemen got ghost ridden by the cathedral phantoms 57-56

"(td) was a beast tonight as he has been groomed to be...but what people seldom discuss is his unselfishness & great character"
-coach middlebrooks (cathedral hs)

[video=youtube;Pr5DLyNbKd0][/video]
note td giving up the ball to a teammate in the paint before getting it back for a monster throwdown

diamonds are forever#
Shocky1
oscar frayer scored 21 points including 3 3 pointers along with 10 boards, 4 blocks & 3 steals as the moreau catholic mariners hit on the newark memorial cougars 82-55...crafty pg damari milstead facilitated the offense & scored 11 points

Shocky1
NVBear78;842435374 said:

But what does this mean.....reading the tea leaves

it means the rabbs enjoyed dining at old pueblo (not to be confused with my favorite restaurant in the east bay, the ol' yeller cafe near the oakland zoo) with pleasant conversation & that sean miller emphasized the importance of basketball players playing basketball with a basketball on the basketball court
Shocky1
ben kone scored 26 points as the archbishop monarchs cloverleafed the sacred heart fightin' irish 71-69...yeah, the game was played in san francisco

Shocky1
jordan ford scored 23 points at the folsom bulldogs wrapped up the oak ridge trojans 55-46

jordan can not only distribute & facilitate but can also flat out shoot the rock...ford made 7 3 pointers in the 2nd half in the previous game...there are only a handful or so of perimeter shooters in high school basketball nationwide that can accomplish that deadly feat

howlin' at the moon#
OdontoBear66
Shocky1;842435835 said:

so i wait until the usc player introductions & the lights are turned down at the galen center to snag a floor seat

but guess who's standing in front of me, waving an angry finger at me when the lights come back on?

my pal pat haden wearing an ugly azz grey/blue suit with a red striped tie

and pat is furious, honestly i think someone has sent him a link to the cal's monster class thread because he's turning bright orange like i'd poisoned traveler or something

pat: what you are doing here?

me: sitting?

pat: not here you're not, let's go

me: pat, i'm not sure that outfit is working for you

pat: (putting his hand on my shoulder to help me get up): let's go

me: pat, why can't i be your special guest tonite?

pat: (shaking his head & fuming and looking over at security) now

yeah, i got owned by my pal pat tonite

this ain't over

mailed it in#

Shocky. Not a nega nilly at all, but was waiting some comments on the game last night as to your analysis. CSUB, WSU, and this one, not making for a good looking future. So, if one can put up with that in lieu of conditions, how has this effected our perception with the recruits in general? Discouraged by reputation loss, or encouraged by playing time potential, or just unflappable?
Shocky1
OdontoBear66;842436129 said:

Shocky. Not a nega nilly at all, but was waiting some comments on the game last night as to your analysis. CSUB, WSU, and this one, not making for a good looking future. So, if one can put up with that in lieu of conditions, how has this effected our perception with the recruits in general? Discouraged by reputation loss, or encouraged by playing time potential, or just unflappable?

the bears coaching staff is painting a picture, creating a vision of cal basketball's unlimited future for the targeted priority recruits in the diamonds are forever (2015) & howlin' at the moon (2016) classes

these visions depict what can potentially be built in berkeley & do not really draw upon the results of this season...accordingly i have never been more excited about any sports team/program in my life than what's going on right now...i accept both the epic victory sitting courtside like kanyae at madison square garden on a magical nite along with building block losses...the losses are a roadmap of the directional changes & challenges that need to be met forward facing without fear...i am a california golden bear, i am not candy azz soft

thus far these messages have been very well received by our targeted student athletes & their families, exceptional individuals that desire to come together to create (and not just perpetuate continued success at a basketball factory) to compete for a national championship at the #1 ranked public university in the world

a championship for the people, do u c berkeley?

Vineyardview
Tyler Dorsey - 40, 40, 36 in last 3 games

OdontoBear66
Shocky1;842436173 said:

the bears coaching staff is painting a picture, creating a vision of cal basketball's unlimited future for the targeted priority recruits in the diamonds are forever (2015) & howlin' at the moon (2016) classes

these visions depict what can potentially be built in berkeley & do not really draw upon the results of this season...accordingly i have never been more excited about any sports team/program in my life than what's going on right now...i accept both the epic victory sitting courtside like kanyae at madison square garden on a magical nite along with building block losses...the losses are a roadmap of the directional changes & challenges that need to be met forward facing without fear...i am a california golden bear, i am not candy azz soft

thus far these messages have been very well received by our targeted student athletes & their families, exceptional individuals that desire to come together to create (and not just perpetuate continued success at a basketball factory) to compete for a national championship at the #1 ranked public university in the world

a championship for the people, do u c berkeley?

If this is the truth be told, anything that happens this year is more tolerable. Don't think, and just hopin', you ain't blowing smoke up my crazy, wishful azz…..
First Page Last Page
Page 140 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.