cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,263,923 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BearGreg
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shocky1;842323660 said:

sir richard midgley from burgess, england was one of the most hard azz & ferociously competitive players to ever wear a california golden bears uniform

midgley set a cal freshmen shooting record by connecting on 44.9% of 3 pters (44-98) including an ice in the veins game winning 3 pter with 3.9 seconds left in overtime to give the bears a 1st round ncca victory over a herb sendek coached north carolina state 76-74

richard midgley told me "i am married (my wife and i met at cal), living in the east bay and commuting to modesto everyday...i have been coaching/teaching at my old high school modesto christian for the last 4 years...after graduating from cal in 2006 I played professionally in england for 3 years and then moved back to california"

"my major at cal was social welfare...i was not planning on coaching when i stopped playing but I visited my old high school coach at modesto christian, gary porter, at an open gym just to say hi and as i was there did some skill training stuff with the team...there were a couple of 8th graders at the practice that i thought had some potential and that i would be able to help them so from that session i started doing a couple of practices a week over the summer which then progressed to daily practices when then progressed to me helping coach the team in the season which then progressed to me being hired full time at the school and taking over the program...i couldn't be happier with the way things have gone and i really enjoy trying to influence and motivate high school kids to achieve more in all areas of their lives"

"i consider theo robertson one of my closest friends...he keeps me up to date on everything going on at cal...he has been a great resource for me when i need some coaching ideas or thoughts on how to motivate some of my players...i do not get to as many games as i would like with our high school schedule and cal's schedule but i did get to the cal vs arizona game last week and enjoyed watching the game"

re: ivan rabb who played against modesto christian sat afternoon

"the first thing that comes to my head with ivan is special...he has great length and athleticism and his timing on blocking shots is excellent...he plays without fouling which is rare in high school...he has excellent touch around the basket with both hands and his footwork make him unguardable 1 on 1 on the post"

re: jeff "dr" wu, the shockster's top target for a 2015 cal preferred walk on slot

"jeff wu has an excellent gpa (3.5+)...he definitely would be good enough to walk on at cal...he has a few mid major schools showing a lot of interest in him though"

cal basketball coaching tree#
50 yr decision & friendships#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including the united kingdom)

yeah, the bears could've used a brawler like richard midgley tonite vs asu...this year's california golden bears are still awaiting for some alpha males to emerge, to impose their unbreakable will upon the game...coach martin cannot be the alpha leader from the coaching box, guys on the floor next to vocally & aggressively take charge

midgley told me how mentally tough leon powe was when he arrived at cal...powe sometimes lived in cars & flop house hotels with his mom & younger brothers and sisters

nice moment at halftime when richard was able to reconnect with ben braun for the 1st time in 5 years...gotta give braun credit, dude hasn't aged a minute since he roamed the sidelines of haas back in the day

midgley is the head coach at modesto christian, the perennial top basketball program in central california despite a total enrollment of 159 students...the crusaders are currently 14-3 (6-0 in conference play) and despite being a division 2 team may end up playing in the state championship open division...fyi-jeff wu signed with sacramento state

richard is very complimentary of the current bears cal coaching staff & told me they are the hardest working college staff that he's ever been around...jon harris scouted mc last nite

midgley spoke to the king before he enrolled at cal to give his fellow englander the ins & outs of berkeley

richard is one of the top high school coaches in california & is close friends with bishop o'dowd's lou richie who he speaks to on a regular basis...lou told richard that last nite ivan played point guard for part of the game which contributed to his 15 monster assists

midgley is a classy representative of the university of california, berkeley & he & his wife (they met at cal & now live in dublin...california not ireland) are expecting their 1st child this june...after a state championship of course

cal family#
HoopDreams
[SIZE=3]Richard Midgley 3 seconds after hitting the game winning 3 to beat NC State in the NCAA Tournament[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Richard Midgley 6 seconds after hitting the game winning 3 to beat NC State in the NCAA Tournament[/SIZE]

Shocky1;842442141 said:

midgley is the head coach at modesto christian, the perennial top basketball program in central california despite a total enrollment of 159 students...the crusaders are currently 14-3 (6-0 in conference play) and despite being a division 2 team may end up playing in the state championship open division...fyi-jeff wu signed with sacramento state

richard is very complimentary of the current bears cal coaching staff & told me they are the hardest working college staff that he's ever been around...jon harris scouted mc last nite

midgley spoke to the king before he enrolled at cal to give his fellow englander the ins & outs of berkeley

richard is one of the top high school coaches in california & is close friends with bishop o'dowd's lou richie who he speaks to on a regular basis...lou told richard that last nite ivan played point guard for part of the game which contributed to his 15 monster assists

midgley is a classy representative of the university of california, berkeley & he & his wife (they met at cal & now live in dublin...california not ireland) are expecting their 1st child this june...after a state championship of course

cal family#
Shocky1
there's probably no way i could ever fully appreciate becoming the 13th (and youngest) person to play the golf magazine's world's top 100 courses if i hadn't toiled as a caddie carrying 2 bags at san francisco golf club during my high school & cal days

and there's probably no way to appreciate the potential future upward unlimited trajectory of the california golden bears program without the building block challenges that our student athletes are currently enduring

some people are candy azz soft in life, they throw in the towel & cry like little bitches when times get tough

others just focus & work even harder

choices#
HoopDreams
team showing lack of confidence right now
gotta put that away, and get ready for the next game
dig down deep

[video=youtube;mEHQ9tzJpYA][/video]
Shocky1
tyler dorsey scored 40 points on 14-21 fgs including 6-8 3 pointers along with 12 boards, 5 assists, 3 steals & only 2 turnovers as the marantha minutemen made time stop for the village christian crusaders 67-61

td got photobombed#
petalumabear
Shocky1;842442234 said:

tyler dorsey scored 40 points on 14-21 fgs including 6-8 3 pointers along with 12 boards, 5 assists, 3 steals & only 2 turnovers as the marantha minutemen made time stop for the village christian crusaders 67-61

td got photobombed#

Shock thanks for the continued updates... I am not familiar with the league he's playing in down in So Cal... are you Shocky or can some of our SoCal posters weigh in on the quality of the competition? It seems like there are a number of smaller Christian school names (I have no issue with that being an O'Dowd alum) just noting that some may be fielding lesser quality teams making some of his output less amazing..

Thanks for those with good info!
Shocky1
this morning i met with ashwin puri, associate athletic director & lauren carey, director of fan experience, to review & strategize re: fan attendance marketing at haas pavilion for the cal basketball program

they graciously & energetically shared with me the details & specifics of the current cal marketing programs in place & also researched at my request the san diego state basketball program's fan based attendance efforts...lauren completed a fact finding information conference call with sdsu's director of athletic marketing & ticket sales manager earlier this week in preparation for today's meeting with me

a couple of key points emerged from our meeting:

*****ashwin will strongly consider my request to allow all cal students free admission to all cal basketball games next season...sdsu, which is the only west coast team in the top 40 of ncca attendance does not charge its students anything to attend its home games...in this era of costly students loans there are a lot of students that cannot afford the annual $55 student basketball pass...we need to create a younger fan base & this will require that we get students to cal games at haas...the ticket revenues from students this year is only around $30k, we need to forego those monies & make an investment for the future in developing student loyalty to the bears basketball program for future season tixs sales & donor development...if only 1 cal student kills it with a high tech start up & then donates to the program, this investment in the students will pay for itself a thousand times over

*****cal basketball needs to be branded as a product where absolutely everyone is welcome at haas pavilion...cal is the greatest public university in the world, our fans should reflect that public base...marketing efforts should not just be focused on cal alums, anybody can & should be a cal fan...we talked about ways to reach bay area youth groups for greater crowd noise & introduction to cal basketball

*****our coaches & player need to become stronger ambassadors of the cal basketball program...often our players try to fly under the radar, they do not tell other students they are on the team, they are trying to fit in seamlessly...they need to encourage other students to attend games & explain how the energy of the fan base impacts the game...coaches also need to have hundreds of tixs on their person at all time for giveaways at various functions

*****i expressed my feedback that the bears play their best when the football team sits behind the basket wearing their jerseys, it raises the alpha male factor by 1000x

lauren (who grew up going to georgia football games, she totally gets it what we are trying to achieve) & ashwin are young, energetic & ambitious and both are very open minded...i am looking forward to working with them in the future in moving forward the cal attendance #s to higher levels

and yeah, i broke 80 this afternoon at san francisco golf club

did i also mention that nicodemus has promised me that yoga classes will be incorporated as part of the s&c progam this offseason?

we attack#
socaltownie
Thank you for proactively encouraging the AD to do this and to investigate what is (and what isn't) working at SDSU and what we can learn from there.
btsktr
socaltownie;842442621 said:

Thank you for proactively encouraging the AD to do this and to investigate what is (and what isn't) working at SDSU and what we can learn from there.

+100
Bobodeluxe
For 95% of the games, the upper levels not directly above the chair backs should be comped, to ANYONE WHO SAYS THEY WILL ATTEND.
calfanz
+infinity squared
Shocky1
Shocky1;842440020 said:

jordan ford is a former junior chess prodigy as detailed by lindsay brauner

chess requires absolute concentration & discipline, the ability to anticipate moves 2-3 steps ahead in the future & sometimes deception to fake out opponents...harper kamp was also a high iq basketball player that not only outmaneuvered pac 12 opponents of the bears but also was the arizona 6th grade state individual chess champion

jordan ford scored 28 points at the folsom bulldogs checkmated the rocklin thunder 79-51

yeah, i could probably checkmate jordan mathews in 3 moves (clownpunking nick hamilton would be more challenging) but i got better things to do with my time (like strip chess with someone worthy of my attention)

don't be a dumb azz#

richard midgley told me he's a huge fan of jordan ford's game...he thinks ford facilitates his teammates with an exceptionally high basketball iq in that anticipates other players' movements, usually makes excellent choices & seldoms turns the ball over & can flat out shoot the rock from behind the 3 point line

in that midgley has also coached against and/or coached in an all star game ivan rabb, oscar frayer, damari milstead, carlos johnson, ben kone, solomon young, christian terrell, dominic artis, etc., it would be make sense for the bears staff to consult with him re: his player evaluations of key nor cal targeted recruits
Shocky1
petalumabear;842442443 said:

Shock thanks for the continued updates... I am not familiar with the league he's playing in down in So Cal... are you Shocky or can some of our SoCal posters weigh in on the quality of the competition? It seems like there are a number of smaller Christian school names (I have no issue with that being an O'Dowd alum) just noting that some may be fielding lesser quality teams making some of his output less amazing..

Thanks for those with good info!

marantha's record is 9-7 this season primarily due to several highly challenging preseason tournaments including the tark classic in las vegas

marantha's conference is lower mid-level competition by los angeles high school basketball standards

but make no mistake about, td's offensive fireworks this season are the real deal

Chapman_is_Gone
Bobodeluxe;842442637 said:

For 95% of the games, the upper levels not directly above the chair backs should be comped, to ANYONE WHO SAYS THEY WILL ATTEND.

Surely you can't be serious. This is a horrible idea that would destroy any incentive for anyone to actually buy tickets.
Chapman_is_Gone
Shocky1;842442610 said:

this morning i met with ashwin puri, associate athletic director & lauren carey, director of fan experience, to review & strategize re: fan attendance marketing at haas pavilion for the cal basketball program

they graciously & energetically shared with me the details & specifics of the current cal marketing programs in place & also researched at my request the san diego state basketball program's fan based attendance efforts...lauren completed a fact finding information conference call with sdsu's director of athletic marketing & ticket sales manager earlier this week in preparation for today's meeting with me

a couple of key points emerged from our meeting:

*****ashwin will strongly consider my request to allow all cal students free admission to all cal basketball games next season...sdsu, which is the only west coast team in the top 40 of ncca attendance does not charge its students anything to attend its home games...in this era of costly students loans there are a lot of students that cannot afford the annual $55 student basketball pass...we need to create a younger fan base & this will require that we get students to cal games at haas...the ticket revenues from students this year is only around $30k, we need to forego those monies & make an investment for the future in developing student loyalty to the bears basketball program for future season tixs sales & donor development...if only 1 cal student kills it with a high tech start up & then donates to the program, this investment in the students will pay for itself a thousand times over

*****cal basketball needs to be branded as a product where absolutely everyone is welcome at haas pavilion...cal is the greatest public university in the world, our fans should reflect that public base...marketing efforts should not just be focused on cal alums, anybody can & should be a cal fan...we talked about ways to reach bay area youth groups for greater crowd noise & introduction to cal basketball

*****our coaches & player need to become stronger ambassadors of the cal basketball program...often our players try to fly under the radar, they do not tell other students they are on the team, they are trying to fit in seamlessly...they need to encourage other students to attend games & explain how the energy of the fan base impacts the game...coaches also need to have hundreds of tixs on their person at all time for giveaways at various functions

*****i expressed my feedback that the bears play their best when the football team sits behind the basket wearing their jerseys, it raises the alpha male factor by 1000x

lauren (who grew up going to georgia football games, she totally gets it what we are trying to achieve) & ashwin are young, energetic & ambitious and both are very open minded...i am looking forward to working with them in the future in moving forward the cal attendance #s to higher levels

and yeah, i broke 80 this afternoon at san francisco golf club

did i also mention that nicodemus has promised me that yoga classes will be incorporated as part of the s&c progam this offseason?

we attack#

If one can get past the tedious arrogance and inappropriate and degrading photos of women, there is actually some decent information in this post. I'm torn as to what to think!
Shocky1
Chapman_is_Gone;842442709 said:

If one can get past the tedious arrogance and inappropriate and degrading photos of women, there is actually some decent information in this post. I'm torn as to what to think!

chapman, i dunno not sure what to say other than just like the cal basketball team i'm pretty flawed but doing the best i can every day with what i got

namastae#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842356560 said:

moreau catholic's damari milstead has been named to max prep's 5 player 3rd team freshmen all american team

cal (travis decuire) was the 1st bigtime program to offer damari

damari & his dad jules unofficially visited cal & sat down with cuonzo, tracy, jon, yanni & nicodeumus

"they're very down to earth...they talked a lot and they were very warm...all five of them were in the room and we talked about what they like in me, we talked about what i'm looking for in college and we talked about how they want me to come to cal"
-damari milstead (to ryan gorcey)

"elite 2017 prospect from the bay called. "we all love coach martin. we're all talking about cal now."...#goosebumps, man"
-yanni hufnagel

"my dude @oscar frayer just verbally committed to cal!"
-damari milstead

damari finished his freshman year at moreau catholic with a gpa of 3.3 which is just as important as his 15.5 ppg, 3.4 apg & 3.3 theft per game with an academic upside to achieve even higher gpas in the future

jules milstead (an assistant coach for mc & a director for the oakland soldiers) has told his son his cautionary autobiographical story about how not qualifying academically caused him to forego a full ride scholly to washington back in the day...jules attended diablo valley jc before finishing his college career at western state in colorado

if damari & the milstead family decide that staying home at cal is the best college decision, then problem solved re: the sadness of the so very hard to go deal

frank knight's mariners#
salute#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including the east bay)

damari milstead scored 22 points as the moreau catholic mariners did not remember the kennedy titans 79-46...oscar dnp for the 2nd game in a row, no worries, just a bump in the road
HoopDreams
Bishop O'Dowd of Oakland star is rumored to be at the Cal game vs Arizona today
He understands you gotta have your fam's back when things get rough

Bobodeluxe
Chapman_is_Gone;842442708 said:

Surely you can't be serious. This is a horrible idea that would destroy any incentive for anyone to actually buy tickets.

Crappy unsold seats. Fence 'em off with a dedicated entrance. Free drinks. Gun allowed. Whatever it takes to expose the public to our Monsters.
HoopDreams
[COLOR="#0000CD"][SIZE=5]Welcome Mr. Rabb[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[video=youtube;gIisVYgvZPI][/video]
bearmanpg
Shocky1;842442710 said:

chapman, i dunno not sure what to say other than just like the cal basketball team i'm pretty flawed but doing the best i can every day with what i got

namastae#

I love it Shockey....at least your DOING SOMETHING ....BTW Midgley is dead on about Jordan Ford......
RenoBear90
ditto
Econ141
HoopDreams;842442825 said:

[COLOR="#0000CD"][SIZE=5]Welcome Mr. Rabb[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[video=youtube;gIisVYgvZPI][/video]

Is here to watch us or arizona? 😳
Shocky1
Shocky1;842425141 said:

hey boalt, you're not gonna believe it but there's a story behind those shoes

following conversation at a street corner near union square in the city during a cal football weekend late this fall with shaylor (shay & taylor):

taylor: dad, do you really want the diamonds are forever class to happen at cal?

me: of course i do, sweetie

shay: then let's go to yves st laurent now

me: why would we do that?

taylor: you have no fashion sense, you need to get the kanye sunglasses, skinny jeans & boots at yves st laurent, how else will ivan know you're really serious about him going to cal

me: wow

shay: right, don't you always tell us to follow our dreams?...to never let any obstacles get in the way of achieving our goals?...to outwork everyone?

me: right, why then do i have the feeling you guys are plotting against me right now?

taylor (ignoring my comment): then let's go to yves st laurent right now, dad, the time is now

shay: plus kim kardashian will know you're serious about her too

taylor (winking at shay): kim will want to go to yoga class with you all the time if you get the outfit

me: really?

shay: (winking at taylor): and kim will probably want you to teach her how to play golf too...everyone knows she's done with kanye, you'll be the next kanye

me: and you guys don't want anything at the store, right?

taylor: well, now that you mention it, we both could use new jackets

shay (batting her eyelashes): but only if you love us. daddy

me: whatever

shay: does this mean you're all in for cal basketball?

me (with a sigh): yes

taylor (grinning at shay): let's do this!

shay: go bears!

taylor: let it fly!

shay: dad, trust me, ivan's going to be very excited

taylor: we always knew that you weren't a dumb azz

shay & taylor (loudly singing): diamonds are forever, diamonds are forever and evaaaah!!!

and they proceeded to link arms with me as we briskly walked up geary street to ysl (with my credit cards)

ambushed (trap game)#

my daughter shay flew in last nite from the desert after her final high school class friday & will be attending the game with me tonite

ivan rabb is also on the guest list at haas pavilion tonite...i dunno, maybe he wants to check out our bad sneakers
HoopDreams

Shocky1
who is the current hottest shooting high school basketball player in the united states of america?

tyler dorsey scored 49 points on 13-22 fgs, 5-10 3 pointers & 18-21 fgs along with 10 boards & 3 assists as the marantha minutemen quarantined the centennial (las vegas) bulldogs 71-59

OldBlue1999
Was Rabb on his ov last night or did he just drop in to check out the game?
petalumabear
OldBlue1999;842443230 said:

Was Rabb on his ov last night or did he just drop in to check out the game?

Just a visit. OV is still to come (schedule).
Shocky1
Shocky1;842368772 said:

ivan, if you continue to stay humble, become mentally stronger/unbreakable, further develop your already devastating post finishing moves, tirelessly work to achieve much needed (by nba standards) s&c strength & learn financial management skills along with a strong education re: real estate development, you have a unique opportunity to potentially live a very glamorous life & help others

but like all athletes, your sports career could be over in a split second, a career ending injury in a blink of an eye...at that point you would need a world class education in order to still pursue & achieve your dreams in life

do you really think slick salesmen like john calipari, sean miller, steve alford or bill self would stay in touch with you if you had a serious injury or would they move on to their next all american prospect on speed dial?...cuonzo martin & his staff are men of integrity, they are truly mentors

your mom wants you to be happy & is therefore not going to impose her will on you, the college decision will be 100% your choice...you are free to pursue your dreams

but you know that deep down inside that tami wants her oldest son to stay home for college at cal, to stay close to her & your younger bro tamarik, to loudly/proudly cheer for you during your games at haas & then give you a bear hug after every game...she is a mom, she wants to keep her family together as long as possible, not endure a long distance relationship

when your mom owned & ran delancy's welcome table on park boulevard in the eastlake district your mom worked a million hours with the hope of creating better lives for both you & tamarik...and when biz hit a hard turn in the road, she did not give up that dream, she gave up the home & you all moved into the restaurant...the restaurant eventually closed but that's not because she didn't tirelessly work to try to make it happen, there is never any shame when we pursue our dreams & quests and come up a little short...and she never gave up & now her new restaurant is doing well & she is building an outstanding reputation for her sensational tasty dishes

regardless of your decision, ivan, your mom is gonna love you with all her heart

so it all really boils down to, what are your priorities in life, what is gonna be your legacy?

tami rabb took time out of her busy schedule to arrive last nite at halftime with a happy smile on her face

after sitting in section 23 (behind the basket) & 15 rows from the top of haas pavilion, ivan stayed well after the game to visit with the entire bears coaching staff at the free throw line
parentswerebears
Shocky1;842443248 said:

tami rabb took time out of her busy schedule to arrive last nite at halftime with a happy smile on her face

after sitting in section 23 (behind the basket) & 15 rows from the top of haas pavilion, ivan stayed well after the game to visit with the entire bears coaching staff at the free throw line

Interesting.
OldBlue1999
Yeah that tweet is why I asked if he was on his ov. There's some chatter in the retweets from sour AZ fans about how it's normal for kids on their ov to only interact with the host staff, but if this wasn't an ov then hmmm...

Lots of love shown for Ivee last night by the students. Go Bears!
Shocky1
Shocky1;842377765 said:

down the street from central park is the radio city music hall, the site of the 2014 nba draft

jarnell stokes was the 35th pick overall of the memphis grizzlies in this year's nba draft

jordan mcrae was the 58th pick overall of the philadelphia sixers in this year's nba draft

cuonzo martin & his tennessee staff coached up both of these guys as volunteers on the long road to becoming nba draft choices...cuonzo (a former nba baller himself) is a terrific role model/mentor for young men wishing to work hard in fulfilling their nba & academic dreams

a nba senior executive told me that tyrone wallace is no longer considered a draftable player by his organization for the 2015 draft

wallace needs to continue to develop his passing skills (overall court awareness), man on man d vs quick point guards & shooting consistency during the next season & a half

if the bears can bring in an elite level point guard or if one of the current roster guards emerges, i think tyrone's nba stock for the 2016 draft would improve by his sliding at times to the 2 or 3 next season and becoming more multiple

oskidunker

Those seats are held by season ticket holders,some who would rather sit high up in the center than down low and at an angle. During the last reseating the older guy who wears ghe gold pants and has "Cunningham " on the back of his jacket told me he hopef i would not select his seats up there. I told him no chance. But there sre a few loyalists up there
OdontoBear66

So we will have people not buy tickets and have empty seats. Sounds like a plan to me. When the product gets better, price it, of course. Worst decision ever in Haas (since it went from Harmon) was to have the TV cameras up high at bad angle, but worse to have them showing on the donors seats.Get those cameras on the opposite side and show the students. At least they show up some of the time. The place always looks half empty to a TV viewerBad, bad marketing.
Shocky1
jade smith is a 6'2" 160 lbs 2017 point guard from st joseph's in alameda...smith is being actively scouted by the bears coaching staff as #5 for the pilots brings length, speed & overall strong court awareness to the court...jade's height creates mismatches against opposing guards & his decision making/floor vision are exceptional

yeah, there was another dude who played the 1 and facilitated his teammates as a standout for st joe, cal & in the nba back in the day

bay area's finest#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (including oakland)
First Page Last Page
Page 144 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.