cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,261,915 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BearGreg
Vineyardview
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shocky -http://www.cbsnews.com/news/oregon-gov-john-kitzhaber-defies-calls-to-resign/

You are right Oregon has serious problems. Hopefully they will root out all the bad actors.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/long-time-democratic-oregon-gov-john-kitzhaber-announces-his-resignation-amid-ethics-scandal/ar-AA9niG0?ocid=ansnewsap11

http://img.s-msn.com/tenant/amp/entityid/AA9nliD.img?h=55&w=75&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=t&l=f&x=934&y=426
socaltownie
Quasi off topic (so please feel free to start a new OT thread) but does anyone have a hypothesis as to why this does seem to be a problem in Oregon. If I remember correctly they have had other scandals - much more than their NW neighbor to the north. As someone who dabbles in political science I would be interested as to others thinking.
Shocky1

christian behrens underwent arthoscopic surgery today on his left knee

my favorite play in basketball is the charge, that stoic game changing call when the ref pivots on one foot & fires one arm forward in the opposite direction

and nobody on this year's california golden bears stands in there like a man with grandes bolas to take the beast mode violent contact better than christian "the fast & furious" behrens

you the man, cb

cal family#
Shocky1
"successful surgery...minor setback...can't wait to be back soon"
-christian behrens

oskidunker
Great kid. Great effort
Shocky1

jonah mathews, the top scoring guard on the west coast in the 2016 class & a critical targeted cal recruiting priority, scored 20 points and 2016 teammate jaycee johnson scored 18 points with 20 boards as the santa monica vikings took the el segundo eagles to the pier & boardwalked then like a silly amusement ride 60-25 in the vikings final game of the season

yeah, the bears basketball staff is watching you, jonah & jayce

jonah, are you gonna put in the work this offseason to become the 2nd mathews with their name on the ocean league mvp trophy?...do you bleed blue & gold?...are you gonna join oscar as part of cal's howlin' at the moon class (2016)?

cal family#
Shocky1
oscar frayer scored 5 points on 2-5 fgs but still impacted the game with 10 boards, 3 assists & a steal and teammate damari milstead scored 11 points, 4 boards, 4 assists & 3 steals as frank knight's moreau catholic mariners took a weekend leave 65-49 vs the washington (fremont) huskies

salute#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842416137 said:

mike & the cal staff originally signed sami "where's waldo" eleraky, a developing 5 from denmark...eleraky (a good student) could not enroll at cal because of academic admission requirements related to his being a foreign student...so sami went to barton cc in cold azz kansas (he did not enjoy the winter weather or the non diverse community, eleraky is of a mixed heritage family including egyptian blood), did not play ball there but completed almost 15 units & then returned to denmark

eleraky then returned to the united states to play for the winningiest coach in the history of college basketball (87% winning record), former bears walk on justin labagh at city college of san francisco...while at ccsf sami took full loads including summer school & also on line classes in order to complete the 2 year degree

gregg gottlieb ran point on eleraky's recruitment & watched several of his games...i also caught a game at ccsf & wrote a post re: his skills & upside...after mike watched sami in a league game late in the season the decision was made to head in a different direction for a 2014 big & eleraky ended up signing with uop

john montgomery completed an extensive international player search & identified jakof poeltl of austria, a very strong student with advanced offensive skills for a big...gregg gottlieb then got involved & also built strong relationships with the poeltl family

because of the distance, jakop poeltl & his family made the decision to visit cal, arizona & utah during a week plus tour of american colleges

sean miller had 3 international bigs on the arizona war board with poeltl as his #1 target (this info is from a golf acquaintance of mine who is arguably the wildcats largest donor...he never seems to forget that i honestly think tuscon is a dump, of course he doesn't live there either)...so sean miller tripped jakob first among his 3 prospects...the official visit did not go well as the lack of academic focus for the arizona basketball program became clearly evident, the wildcats are like a minor league professional sports team not a well regarded educational institution

both the cal & utah visits went really well with the poeltl family loving the san francisco bay area the most (they also liked salt lake city as it reminded them of their hometown in austria with maybe a couple more mormons here & there)

jakob (far left, wearing the backwards cal lid) is pictured above in the 1st row with the good looking montgomery women, sarah & my partner in bears crowd noise, anne

after returning home from the united states, jakob made basically a silent commitment to the staff & started the comprehensive & lengthy required international student admissions acceptance process/applications...attending the #1 ranked public university in the world was a significant factor in this decision

when mike retired, jakob quickly switched his commitment to utah (coach k is highly respected by mike)...cuonzo & co never had a chance to build a relationship with the promising austrian blue chipper

so austria's jakop poeltl signed with utah, dusan ristic of serbia signed with arizona & coach martin signed the king of england

the king is gonna have to bang with jakob poeltl, 7' 235 lbs who is averaging 8.8 pgg on .667 fgs & 7.4 rpg, gotta keep those feet moving on defense & not reach with the arms...love kingsley's demeanor during games, sir okoroh is 100% focused with a positive attitude & receptive to coach harris
Shocky1
Shocky1;842421131 said:

who is the 2nd best team in the pac 12 this season after arizona?

that would arguably be #17 ranked utah which upset the wichita state shockers last week

when coach krystkowiak arrived in freezing azz salt lake city the utes were 6-25 in 2011...special k turned around the program by running off all the guys who didn't wanna play d or go to class every day...last year's 21-11 utah team had 5 guys on the pac 12 all academic team, the most for any team in the league

larry gets it, men take care of their business...discipline starts in the classroom and the s&c program creating a solid foundation for success on the basketball court...sure, utah is an academically mediocre school (more challenging than santa monica community college) but it's still impressive that coach k gets his students to go to classes on a teamwide basis

who are utah's studs?

jakob poeltl's recruitment is detailed as follows: http://bearinsider.com/forums/showthread.php?62260-cal-s-monster-class/page305

delon wright is a favorite along with t-wall for the pac 12 mvp award this season

justin labagh, a former bears walk on & the most winning (87% victories) head coach in the history of college basketball, told me about his recruitment of delon wright to city college of san francisco

labagh has the same barber in the city as portland trailblazers dorell wright who was then with the golden state warriors...dorell tells justin about his younger bro who wasn't really recruited by anyone out of leuzinger high school in los angeles

labagh says yeah, let's do this so delon enrolls in san francisco & averages 10 points, 8 boards & 4 steals per game in the rams high octane highly balanced offense...nobody wants delon at the next level until justin convinces larry to sign him & delon ends up in salt lake city

how come delon didn't end up in berkeley?

labagh told me wright would have not been a good fit academically (2.5 hs gpa) at the world's #1 ranked public university

so those of you who are gonna continue to cry like whiny azzs & complain about mike & his staff re: not signing poeltl & wright when utah has a strong season, i dunno maybe you should start a support therapy group or stage a protest or something

the bears gotta slow down pac 12 mvp candidate delon wright who is averaging 14.2 ppg, 5.4 apg & 4.6 rpg...t-wall should note wright's wise decision to return for his senior season in order to earn his degree while improving his skill sets & nba draft stock...and yeah, college is a lot more fun than playing pro basketball in germany with the reality you could be cut tomorrow & then you're just another dumb azz college drop out without a degree working at the 7/11 on truxtun avenue in bakersfield with no coin to help your family & a bleak azz future

don't be a dumb azz#
50 year decision#
petalumabear
Shocky1;842451985 said:

the shockster has confirmed that j kidd has spoken "several times" with young ivee re: the benefits of staying home for college at cal

if ivan decides to commit to the bears, this will be the greatest assist in j's hall of fame career

j kidd=bay area icon & facilitator

It appears that Jason can not only get an assist here and there but he gives them as well. Inflating the old round ball is not a problem
Shocky1
Shocky1;842340685 said:

oregon basketball mission statement:
"win as many basketball games as possible by recruiting low gpa/character non student athletes who engage in criminal behavior, steal/fight both on and off the court and also assault women as long as they don't make any meaningful academic progress while in eugene"

this is oregon basketball#
just do it#

it is truly remarkable that after all the truly disgraceful acts during the past 2 years that oregon players would still be getting in trouble...non student athlete/starter jordan bell (academically ineligible out of high school at long beach poly) was recently cited for harassing a police offer re: a parking ticket & was suspended by criminal dana altman for only 1 game (a home game vs washington state)

dana altman is more interested in winning than teaching his players any life lessons...despite the nba dreams sold by altman & fellow sleazeball tony stubblefield, the ducks aren't putting anybody in the league under altman which just leaves their ballers without diplomas or best case scenario, a worthless degree from an academically mediocre university which is real helpful if your life goals include becoming a nite shift manager at a truck stop in medford & eventually marrying a lot lizard

there are pluses with every pac 12 program but the only team i actively root against every game is oregon, these guys are truly on the road to hell...just to be real clear, this is not an indictment against the entire university of oregon, no it is a justified criticism against the cess pool basketball sewage system operated by criminal dana altman

the unethical & no values oregon basketball program lost its 8th game of the season, it would truly be a shame if oregon was selected to the ncca tournament with other colleges that participate with student athletes that are coached up by coaches that teach family values

it will be interesting to see if the lawsuits against the university of oregon that also specifically name dana altman as a principal engaged in criminal activities along with growing concerns from the faculty/alumni that don't solely measure collegiate sports programs by win at all costs measures eventually shut down the basketball program
concordtom
Shocky1;842455148 said:

"successful surgery...minor setback...can't wait to be back soon"
-christian behrens

David Kravish on the photo bomb!
Or is that a photo shopped add-in?
Shocky1

caleb "big sauce" swanigan scored 27 points along with 11 boards as the homestead spartans defended their league championship 73-55 vs the norwell knights
south bender
Talk about mismatches! It appears that Swanigan is about twice as big as the opposition.
Shocky1
Shocky1;842453432 said:

insightful breakdown of the usc storming the court scene as haas pavilion by mike vernon...check out the clip of coach webster doing the happy dance, he's a couple feet left of center court near the scorer's table...i gave coach a quick shoulder hug that nite (definitely didn't dance with him, no that did not happen)

storming newell court, that **** is fun

http://blog.sfgate.com/cal/2015/02/06/gifs-looking-at-tyrone-wallaces-shot-and-the-ensuing-celebration/

where were you (do you got tixs for oregon & oregon state)?#
let it fly#

carlos johnson scored 6 points along with 6 boards as the balanced el cerrito gauchos admired 55-50 the campolindo cougars

coach webster has assured carlos that if becomes a california golden bear that he's gonna teach him all the moves to the happy dance, no joke

Shocky1

let it fly#
south bender
Sam is a Valentine's Day baby?
Shocky1
Shocky1;842405338 said:

my daughter taylor took the above game action foto last weekend, she's convinced that #24 is staring at her fashionable jacket, whatever

listening to taylor discuss the game isn't exactly the same as listening to mike montgomery in terms of insightful basketball analysis:

"why aren't the bears guarding him?" (during an opponent's free throws)

"did they forget to put a chair out for the bald guy in the suit?" (referencing cuonzo martin's preference for standing all game)

"how come the bears are wearing grey and not blue & gold, those are better colors" (i dunno, maybe they got no fashion sense at all)

"is oksi a male or a female?" (who knows, oski is a mascot, ok?)

"brenden glapion is very cute plus he's left handed" (wow, i did not know that)

trust me, pretty sure roxy, todd mciim & jay john not gonna seek out taylor as their broadcast color partner anytime soon

pointing at the scorer's table, "how come we aren't sitting over there?" (because we don't have black & white zebra striped shirts)

"why isn't brenden playing the whole game, is the coach mad at him?" (better question is why do you socialize with your friends all the time instead of taking 5 honors classes like shay?...there's a reason you're probably gonna go to usf or asu like your mom in a couple of years from now)

"don't you think nick hamilton looks like kyle (her big brother?)" (yeah but i think both guys are scaring off females with their 1000 days deserted island survivor facial hair, no wonder they both have 4.0+ gpas)

"where's ivan rabb sitting?" (i dunno, probably with j kidd & j cole)

"when we go to the city after the game can we go to union square in san francisco?" (sweetie, the stores are all closed, nice try)

taylor & i are flying into sal tlay ka siti (we saw the book of mormon on broadway 2 summers ago in nyc) right now with the early morning city lites below...we're gonna go to the montage (we love the beverly hills & laguna beach properties) in deer valley for lunch, then check out the sites in salt lake city (which will take around 15 minutes) before heading to the game tonite to root loudly for the bears

salt lake city is one of the weirdest, least diverse & most socially backwards major cities in the united states...it's like going back in a time machine to the 1950s in america

if you told me women & minorities couldn't vote in slc, i would believe you

shocky & taylor are mutts#
Shocky1
earlier this morning at the salt lake city avis preferred center travis decuire came over & said hello to me & taylor

td's recruiting a slc high school prospect & apologized for barely having his voice after coaching the grizzs last nite to a 83-81 triple overtime thrillah victory at northern colorado to improve montana's conference record to 10-3...dude is one of the top young coaches in the game & will always have my absolute respect

the berkeley game this year was a very emotional event for td as he still loves the guys on the team, he recruited most of them to cal...the game was scheduled a year in advance with the intent to get some of the bay area grizzs back home & also collect a guaranteed payout...td will continue to relentlessly recruit the bay area (unlike some on the prior staff, he always felt we could recruit ivan rabb) & almost got austin paris this year

as td walked away, taylor said "he's really nice"...yeah, sweetie, i knew that

mikecohen
Shocky1;842455584 said:

taylor & i are flying into sal tlay ka site (we saw the book of mormon on broadway 2 summers ago in nyc) right now with the early morning city lites below...we're gonna go to the montage (we love the beverly hills & laguna beach properties) in deer valley for lunch, then check out the sites in salt lake city (which will take around 15 minutes) before heading to the game tonite to root loudly for the bears

salt lake city is one of the weirdest, least diverse & most socially backwards major cities in the united states...it's like going back in a time machine to the 1950s in america

if you told me women & minorities couldn't vote in slc, i would believe you

shocky & taylor are mutts#

Just to remember, that one of the truly great leaders on the left in this country (although not particularly able to be effective nationally) was the Mayor of Salt Lake City from 2000 to 2008.
HoopDreams
[SIZE=5][SIZE=6]10 mades on 14 attempts, including 1 of 2 from long range[/SIZE][/SIZE]

[SIZE=5]21 points, and looking good doing it

Jabari Bird has the sweetest pull up jumper since Justin Cobbs, and Jabari at 6-6 is 4 inches taller than Cobbs[/SIZE]

[SIZE=7][COLOR="#000080"]Rep the Bay[/COLOR][/SIZE]
HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]did someone say Robert Thurman was tearing up the British league?[/SIZE]

Shocky1
taylor & i did not see a single cal fan at tonite's match up at the jon m huntsman center at the top of campus with a view of downtown salt lake city to the west...sitting in the 1st row behind the cal bench we saw a college basketball game contested in a wildly spirited home court arena at altitude with the adjacent student section behind the basket throwing out some pretty funny comments re: coach martin's preference for directing action on the court during the game

congrats to coach k, his guys play hard & compete for 40 minutes: every pass, rebound & loose ball is contested...the bears are getting closer to playing at that intensity level but aren't there yet

the bears 2015 offense is like the ocean marine ecosystem in australia's stunningly beautiful great barrier reef, it is very fragile & all the elements need to be working together...the big 4 need to be producing offensively to create spacing & the supporting cast needs to contribute too...david kravish worked hard to gain position in the paint & took good look shots but they did not drop tonite, several just barely spun out, that's basketball...jabari bird knocked down mid range shots, tyrone wallace attacked the basket & brandon chauca shot the ball in rhythm

more importantly, jordan mathews has been hobbled all week...the alpha male incredibly played thru the ankle pain thursday nite in boulder scoring 19 points in a hard to believe 33 minutes to impose his fierce will upon the game in the bear's road victory...tonite jordan just couldn't chase the utah guards defensively (the utes are the best screening team in the pac 12, their bigs screen decisively & block the sun while our bigs tend to move while screening) & ended up with no points in only 14 minutes...he's gonna be fine, the bears are gonna be fine too

the 6 day break before next saturday's big game at stanford is well timed, the bears need a break...the bears left wednesday evening for boulder & will fly out of salt lake city tomorrow mid morning back to the bay area...that's 5 nites on the road, the longest road trip of the season

the bears control their destiny, some tough games lie ahead but expect an energized, healthy & well rested cal team to compete down on the farm next saturday

taylor & i spent a fun morning/afternoon together at the montage resort in deer valley, nothing better than spending quality time with your family exploring the world

Shocky1
Shocky1;842416137 said:

mike & the cal staff originally signed sami "where's waldo" eleraky, a developing 5 from denmark...eleraky (a good student) could not enroll at cal because of academic admission requirements related to his being a foreign student...so sami went to barton cc in cold azz kansas (he did not enjoy the winter weather or the non diverse community, eleraky is of a mixed heritage family including egyptian blood), did not play ball there but completed almost 15 units & then returned to denmark

eleraky then returned to the united states to play for the winningiest coach in the history of college basketball (87% winning record), former bears walk on justin labagh at city college of san francisco...while at ccsf sami took full loads including summer school & also on line classes in order to complete the 2 year degree

gregg gottlieb ran point on eleraky's recruitment & watched several of his games...i also caught a game at ccsf & wrote a post re: his skills & upside...after mike watched sami in a league game late in the season the decision was made to head in a different direction for a 2014 big & eleraky ended up signing with the university of pacific

john montgomery completed an extensive international player search & identified jakof poeltl of austria, a very strong student with advanced offensive skills for a big...gregg gottlieb then got involved & also built strong relationships with the poeltl family

because of the distance, jakop poeltl & his family made the decision to visit cal, arizona & utah during a week plus tour of american colleges

sean miller had 3 international bigs on the arizona war board with poeltl as his #1 target (this info is from a golf acquaintance of mine who is arguably the wildcats largest donor...he never seems to forget that i honestly think tuscon is a dump, of course he doesn't live there either)...so sean miller tripped jakob first among his 3 prospects...the official visit did not go well as the lack of academic focus for the arizona basketball program became clearly evident, the wildcats are like a minor league professional sports team not a well regarded educational institution

both the cal & utah visits went really well with the poeltl family loving the san francisco bay area the most (they also liked salt lake city as it reminded them of their hometown in austria with maybe a couple more mormons here & there)

jakob (far left, wearing the backwards cal lid) is pictured above in the 1st row with the good looking montgomery women, sarah & my partner in bears crowd noise, anne

after returning home from the united states, jakob made basically a silent commitment to the staff & started the comprehensive & lengthy required international student admissions acceptance process/applications...attending the #1 ranked public university in the world was a significant factor in this decision

when mike retired, jakob quickly switched his commitment to utah (coach k is highly respected by mike)...cuonzo & co never had a chance to build a relationship with the promising austrian blue chipper

so austria's jakop poeltl signed with utah, dusan ristic of serbia signed with arizona & coach martin signed the king of england

poeltl's parents back in austria have recently made it clear they are uncomfortable with the nba draft talk speculation & that it is their strong preference that jakob return to utah next season to further his nba skills development under special k & further his education

50 year decision#
concordtom
Shocky1;842456067 said:

poeltl's parents back in austria have recently made it clear they are uncomfortable with the nba draft talk speculation & that it is their strong preference that jakob return to utah next season to further his nba skills development under special k & further his education

50 year decision#

You no doubt swiped this photo from a pro Utah source.
Because if it is the block I saw, there was a foul on the arm before this moment - that the refs didn't call.
Maybe that was a different block, I think there were two.
Still, Poeltl embarrassed Okoroh.
Foot speed, quickness to jump.
Not a pogo stick.
Ooops.
Bobodeluxe
"taylor & i spent a fun morning/afternoon together at the montage resort in deer valley, nothing better than spending quality time with your family exploring the world"

? Deer Valley does not consider itself part of the world. Your comments about SLC are much more appropriate at Mitt's DV resort. Nice place, this time of the year. The rest of the year, a desert wasteland with bad Mexican food.

:p
SRBear
Don't have to be a "pogo stick"...an experienced player would have avoided the block by fending with the right arm and using the left to put the ball in off the backboard and likely drawing a +1. Hopefully King will learn that, as well as improve his foot work.
Shocky1

taylor & i walked around downtown this morning looking (unsuccessfully) for her sought after healthy organic breakfast

taylor turns to me & says "dad, thanks for taking me to utah but it's kind of weird here, i'm not sure i would ever be comfortable living here"

hey sweetie, salt lake city isn't exactly paris or san francisco, that's for sure

time to go home (home is where the heart is)#
MisterNoodle
Bobodeluxe;842456079 said:

"taylor & i spent a fun morning/afternoon together at the montage resort in deer valley, nothing better than spending quality time with your family exploring the world"

? Deer Valley does not consider itself part of the world. Your comments about SLC are much more appropriate at Mitt's DV resort. Nice place, this time of the year. The rest of the year, a desert wasteland with bad Mexican food.

:p

Years ago there was a very good mexican resto called red iguana, just west of dt slc. Best moles ever.
Shocky1

on the flight home (after taylor got to meet several of the cal coaches at the slc airport, "they are really nice"), i turn to taylor & ask her for her thoughts on the biggest difference(s) re: the bears since she last attended a game with me earlier this season at haas

she contemplatively looks out the window, deep in thought...she doesn't immediately answer as she carefully considers her response

i'm thinking to myself, wow, she's really turning into a cal basketball fan, taylor is totally getting into college basketball like me, i dunno maybe she's thinking about the bears early offense scheme and its ability to create penetration lay ups or open mid range shots or kick out passes for uncontested 3 point looks or severe mismatches down low in the post

finally taylor turns to me & looks me seriously in the eyes & tells me "i'm glad the bears finally got rid of those ugly grey uniforms, they look much more cuter and fashionable in blue and gold"

HoopDreams
[SIZE=4]Bishop O'Dowd 4 Star [COLOR="#000080"]Asha Thomas[/COLOR] is coming to Cal next year to join the Bears
There is another Star basketball player at Bishop O'Dowd too...[/SIZE]

[SIZE=7][COLOR="#000080"]Fam[/COLOR][/SIZE]
concordtom
Shocky, you'll have to report if Taylor ends up dating guys on the basketball team!
concordtom
SRBear;842456098 said:

Don't have to be a "pogo stick"...an experienced player would have avoided the block by fending with the right arm and using the left to put the ball in off the backboard and likely drawing a +1. Hopefully King will learn that, as well as improve his foot work.

+1
Or do both Pogo AND fend off.
That's NBA.
OdontoBear66
HoopDreams;842456279 said:

[SIZE=4]Bishop O’Dowd 4 Star [COLOR="#000080"]Asha Thomas[/COLOR] is coming to Cal next year to join the Bears
There is another Star basketball player at Bishop O’Dowd too...[/SIZE]

[SIZE=7][COLOR="#000080"]Fam[/COLOR][/SIZE]

And playing with Jefflo, Range, Green and Davidson she will make the Bears a better team than it is right now. No question. Of course, she brings other support too.
stu
OdontoBear66;842456346 said:

And playing with Jefflo, Range, Green and Davidson she will make the Bears a better team than it is right now. No question. Of course, she brings other support too.

Don't forget Cowling, who may possibly be the best of the bunch, and our 4 other 2015 recruits.
First Page Last Page
Page 151 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.