cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,263,625 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BearGreg
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
NewYorkCityBear;842464231 said:

Q: How many narcissists does it take to screw in a light bulb?

A: Only one, but he just stands there holding the bulb to the socket and waits for the world to revolve around him.

nycbear, i don't think chapman is narcissistic, i don't think that at all...i just think he's a dumb azz like you

i dunno, maybe you 2 could meet up for drinks or something
Bobodeluxe
Shocky1;842464411 said:

nycbear, i don't think chapman is narcissistic, i don't think that at all...i just think he's a dumb azz like you

i dunno, maybe you 2 could meet up for drinks or something

Stick to Fashion. As a Psychologist, you need a little more polish.

:gobears:
Shocky1
Bobodeluxe;842464412 said:

Stick to Fashion. As a Psychologist, you need a little more polish.

:gobears:

ok, i don't think chapman & nycbear are making solid fashion outfit choices, they can do better than that...pretty sure the cat is kinda unhappy about viewing such as "an embarrassing line up"

these dudes have obviously never been to fashion week in milan...i dunno, maybe they could get matching manbags or something

what not to wear#
Bobodeluxe
The picture reminded me. Did anyone know that Fondue Fred's is STILL OPEN!

Worst food on the planet.

:bigpuke:

Is that cat in a straight jacket?
bonsallbear
Maybe Shocky should change this to the dumbazz thread
GOCAL73
Shocky1;842464438 said:

ok, i don't think chapman & nycbear are making solid fashion outfit choices, they can do better than that...pretty sure the cat is kinda unhappy about viewing such as "an embarrassing line up"

these dudes have obviously never been to fashion week in milan...i dunno, maybe they could get matching manbags or something

what not to wear#

These are just two normal Stanfurd frat guys relaxing in their cardinal and white matching outfits after a tough day sleeping through class.
NewYorkCityBear
Shocky1;842464438 said:

what not to wear#

Exactly what sport did you participate in while at Cal, Shocky? I was Captain of the Boxing Squad. Were you to challenge my manhood in person you would quickly be on that 'dumb azz' of yours.
NewYorkCityBear
bonsallbear;842464488 said:

Maybe Shocky should change this to the dumbazz thread

That would be redundant. Any thread Shocky starts is a 'dumb azz' thread.
concordtom
Bobodeluxe;842464459 said:

Maybe so, but at least they used to serve pitchers of beer to underage high school kids from over the hill! :p
Did you know there was once a mock rock band called "Fondue Fred and The Pitchers"?

Long live Fondue Fred's!!!! :beer:
86Oski
Bobodeluxe;842464459 said:

Worse than Sirloin & Brew?
egbear82
Haha hey I loved Sirloin and Brew! I just don't ever remember how I got home from that place after more pitchers than I could count😄
mikecohen
concordtom;842464501 said:

Maybe so, but at least they used to serve pitchers of beer to underage high school kids from over the hill! :p
Did you know there was once a mock rock band called "Fondue Fred and The Pitchers"?

Long live Fondue Fred's!!!! :beer:

I've always loved mock rock band names, like "Van & the Movers", or "Panama Red & the Acapulco Gold Blues Band"
HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]Congratulations to Bishop O'Dowd, Coach Lou Richie, Ivan Rabb and his teammates for winning the NCS Division III championship

Rabb took over in the 2nd half, and scored 25 points, grabbed 19 rebounds and swatted six blocks

Moreau Catholic was lead by Oscar Frayer (20 points) and Damari Milstead (16 points)

Will Frayer and Rabb be playing on the same court again next year, next time on the same team?[/SIZE]

NewYorkCityBear
HoopDreams;842464544 said:

[SIZE=5]

Will Frayer and Rabb be playing on the same court again next year, next time on the same team?[/SIZE]

Nope. Frayer is Class of 2016.
Shocky1
NewYorkCityBear;842464500 said:

agreed
Shocky1
marshawn

shocky

ivan (with apologies to asha thomas & paris austin)

oscar, ivan, davon & caleb

https://vimeo.com/45797764

50 year friendships#
Shocky1
NewYorkCityBear;842464499 said:

Exactly what sport did you participate in while at Cal, Shocky? I was Captain of the Boxing Squad. Were you to challenge my manhood in person you would quickly be on that 'dumb azz' of yours.

i wuz too busy working my way thru cal as a caddie & as an entertainer to walk on as a heavily unrecruited corner back on the football team
SFBearz
NewYorkCityBear;842464500 said:

Might as well make it official.
Shocky1
even peter from the family guy thinks tucson is for dumb azzs

NewYorkCityBear
Shocky1;842464650 said:

i wuz too busy working my way thru cal as a caddie & as an entertainer to walk on as a corner back on the football team

I too worked my way through Cal, washing dishes and stocking shelves, but that didn't stop me from competing.
stu

Last week I had an early dinner at Old Yeller. I can recommend the Etta James deep fried catfish and the butter-pecan yams. Good, plain food and nice staff. No symptoms of gentrification here.
HoopDreams
Shocky1
NewYorkCityBear;842464660 said:

I too worked my way through Cal, washing dishes and stocking shelves, but that didn't stop me from competing.

so you graduated/competed from the #1 ranked haas undergraduate business school with phi beta kappa honors too like me?

congrats

btw, i consider boxing a barbaric act of violence dating back to the roman gladiator days that pointlessly pits/preys upon young men from almost always lower socioeconomic/educational backgrounds against each other that later often suffer from irrevocable physical & mental trauma for a bloodthirsty crowd of lower food chain males with anger management issues

yoga=the opposite of boxing

namastae#
concordtom
stu;842464664 said:

Last week I had an early dinner at Old Yeller. I can recommend the Etta James deep fried catfish and the butter-pecan yams. Good, plain food and nice staff. No symptoms of gentrification here.

I think there's room for a Cal basketball fan/entrepreneur to open a sports restaurant on telegraph (area) and bring in the the sumptuous creations of chef Tami Rabb. And a person like that should have ownership interest. It's actually a great idea. Great food, and jerseys and Cal memorabilia hanging from the walls. Who's on it first?
Shocky1
zach collins, a top 50 2016 6'10" 215 lbs power forward from bishop gorman (zach's father, mike is an assistant coach) in las vegas is a physically imposing & versatile strong student athlete....he is from a very close family with his supportive sister, mom a special ed teacher that values community service & dad (played basketball at new mexico state)

zach was 6'8" as a freshman & has grown another 2 inches and is continuing to grow into his body...he is extremely blue collar physical & also possesses a strong pick & pop game with an accurate shooting touch

zach & his dad have built strong relationships with both cuonzo martin & jon harris...cal is the only academically prestigious school on the finalist list & zach has also stated he is interested in staying close to home if possible...relationships with coaches & style of play will be key factors in this decision

the collins family isn't turning zach's recruitment into a circus, he's gonna decide very early with a targeted decision date of june 2015 with a signing date of november 2015

zach collins has completed his 5 official visits:

cal-january 14th (stanford game)
san diego state-january 31st
utah-february 14th
new mexico-february 21st
gonzaga-february 28th

"looking back on that #cal visit...really good stuff...looking forward to finishing off the tour over the next month or so...all good choices"
-dad mike collins

zach primarily hosted by stephen domingo & met at the oakland airport by the entire cal coaching staff...strong relationships are being built between the collins family & the bears staff

with a 3.6 gpa zach, the proximity of las vegas to berkeley & an aggressive style of play at the 4, collins would thrive both as a person & as a basketball player at cal...it's interesting to note that the other schools are emphasizing the basketball component of his recruitment & not really his academic/community service development

collins intends to decide late this spring/early summer re: his collegiate decision & his offer from the staff is an actionable one

50 year decision#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 public (#3 overall) university in the world (including nevada)
Shocky1
concordtom;842464698 said:

I think there's room for a Cal basketball fan/entrepreneur to open a sports restaurant on telegraph (area) and bring in the the sumptuous creations of chef Tami Rabb. And a person like that should have ownership interest. It's actually a great idea. Great food, and jerseys and Cal memorabilia hanging from the walls. Who's on it first?

tom, what you are proposing is a major ncca violation that would shut down the cal basketball program

don't be a dumb azz#
NewYorkCityBear
Shocky1;842464692 said:

so you graduated/competed from the #1 ranked haas undergraduate business school with phi beta kappa honors too like me?

congrats

btw, i consider boxing a barbaric act of violence dating back to the roman gladiator days that pointlessly pits/preys upon young men from almost always lower socioeconomic/educational backgrounds against each other that later often suffer from irrevocable physical & mental trauma for a bloodthirsty crowd of lower food chain males with anger management issues

yoga=the opposite of boxing

namastae#

No, I wasn't interested in learning methods of maximizing profit, and instead focused on pursuits which expanded my mind instead of my pocket book (though I did pursue a second major in Economics as I am very interested in how market forces affect us a society). My father was a very successful businessman with an Engineering degree from Stanford and an MBA from Harvard, but he spent so much of his time on the business 'treadmill' that he saw little of his family and when he died at the tragically young age of 45 was prevented from ever enjoying the fruits of his labors so I'm sure that had something to do with my lack of interest in following that path.

Nor was I interested in self-congratulatory organizations, though I did graduate cum laude. And your description of Boxing actually sounds more applicable to Football than to Boxing at the collegiate level. No one on the Cal Boxing team is 'preyed upon' - they receive no scholarships or other benefits than the satisfaction of competing and no profit is earned off their efforts. And Football is far more violent than Boxing.

And speaking of 'anger management' issues, Yoga doesn't seem to be doing much for you. You still appear to have lot of unresolved anger that you come to this message board to vent by questioning the masculinity and intelligence of anyone who disagrees with you, and by proclaiming your superiority to others based on your economic standing. Maybe you should take a Boxing class. It'll do wonders for your self confidence, and then maybe you won't feel the need to put others down with homophobic taunts or proclamations of your monetary worth.

peace
concordtom
Shocky1;842464707 said:

tom, what you are proposing is a major ncca violation that would shut down the cal basketball program

don't be a dumb azz#

So, the NCAA gets to have a say in not only a kid's employment but also his parents? Look, what I've proposed is a private business opportunity, has nothing to do with the university involvement. She's apparently a skilled professional in her own right. Or, does the university bar you from eating her meals, too?
I could argue this 10 times till Tuesday! The hypocrisy is unbelievable.
The NCAA will market Ivan's (et al) likeness on tv, in print, everywhere to the tune of $B. But the "amateurs" must accept nothing beyond their scholarship? Give me a break. The business I've proposed is a great idea. Would Jason Kidd be allowed to open a sports bar off campus, full of signed jerseys? Who is going to stop him?!?!

What about this? If Ivan pays his own tuition, accepts no scholarship, is it still a violation? Could those ohio state kids sign memorabilia if they accepted no scholarship? Where does the NCAA get off on controlling every aspect if people's lives? That the legal system hasn't already years ago chewed this up and spit it out is beyond me. Who are the brave lawyers that are going to successfully take this on? We will all look back one day amazed it was the way it was. Just like we do with race relations, women's rights, and, soon, gay rights.

I am not a booster, not a season ticket holder, have never taken one class for the U of C. I am a fan. The NCAA may have dominion over you, but not over me.

Sorry my private message inbox is currently full.
concordtom
Shocky, there's a fair point being made above about the homophobic and women-as-sex-symbols chatter that goes on here. I know that you write for a young audience, but at the same time you have to accept the axiom "if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem."

I think you can successfully use your journalistic creativity to attract that audience you seek responsibly. Certainly, being a phi beta kappa graduate of the #1 public university means you are intelligent enough to do so, no? You just need to keep working on it and find your right tone/angle/approach. Perhaps not unlike what was posted about Jorge's FT % each year. He got 60% his Soph season up to 80% as a junior. Well, Monsters was your frosh year, Diamonds your soph... By next year, you could be Howlin' at 80%!!!
Go for it, dude!
south bender
concordtom;842464799 said:

Shocky, there's a fair point being made above about the homophobic and women-as-sex-symbols chatter that goes on here. I know that you write for a young audience, but at the same time you have to accept the axiom "if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem."

I think you can successfully use your journalistic creativity to attract that audience you seek responsibly. Certainly, being a phi beta kappa graduate of the #1 public university means you are intelligent enough to do so, no? You just need to keep working on it and find your right tone/angle/approach. Perhaps not unlike what was posted about Jorge's FT % each year. He got 60% his Soph season up to 80% as a junior. Well, Monsters was your frosh year, Diamonds your soph... By next year, you could be Howlin' at 80%!!!
Go for it, dude!

+1
NYCGOBEARS
While I find much information on this thread occasionally, do we really believe that Cal BB recruits or their families wade through a 372 page thread hoping to be swayed to go to Cal?
Shocky1
congrats to t-wall on his being named to the all pac 12 1st team, gotta love it

we attack#
Jeff82
socaltownie;842463567 said:

O

Probably not something to brag about.........

I have to side with Shocky in this debate. Since I have a very strong feeling that Miller and other coaches recruit against Cal by arguing to recruits that we're too tough academically, and they won't be able to stay eligible or won't be able to spend enough time working on their games because of school, we have to point out the advantages of a Cal degree, relative to other schools that may be less academically prestigious. Yes, anyone can certainly be successful in life by going to a less demanding school from Cal, but I think going to a top-flight school and getting a top-flight education helps, especially in the beginning.
Shocky1
concordtom;842464799 said:

anybody who knows me well with tell you that i'm very clearly not homophobic

OldBlue1999
I have to side with Shocky because this is a message board on the internet. If you think he's too arrogant or vain or don't like looking at pictures of scantily-clad women or golf courses block him and don't click on the thread. Problem solved. I personally would never block anyone or let them get into my head too much but everyone is different. But I also have to admit that I admire his willingness to put himself out there publicly behind his mission of trying to push the program forward and hopefully on to new heights, so he's kinda skewed my ability to be impartial towards him. Go Bears!
First Page Last Page
Page 159 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.