cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,264,221 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BearGreg
Big C
How long do you want to ignore this user?
NewYorkCityBear;842465296 said:

People who make homophobic 'jokes' and I are not on the 'same team' no matter where they went to school. Same for racists, anti-semites, and anyone else trying to put down others based on their color, creed or orientation. One of my roommates in my fraternity at Cal was gay, though no one else in the house knew. My fraternity brothers made 'fag' jokes all the time, not realizing one of their best-liked 'brothers' was homosexual. I almost knew how he felt because I went to a Catholic high school and though I wasn't raised Jewish my father was. I heard every disgusting Jewish joke in the book, because I didn't have a Jewish last name. Finally I let out that I was part Jewish. One night, some of my classmates painted a giant Star of David on our front lawn in shaving cream. This wasn't the deep south. This was Southern California in the 1980's. There's no place in civilized society for such behavior and there's no place on my 'team' for it, and there shouldn't be a place on a Cal message board for it either.

Well, for sure, I cannot repudiate any of your ideas above, nor would I. Have a great day, sir.
Go Bears!
Bobodeluxe
mikecohen;842465366 said:

And who are "they"?

Real Americans from Real America!

😜
Go!Bears
Shocky1;842465204 said:

yeah, jolly is the mentally tough kinda guy the cal basketball program is gonna build around & his offer from the staff is an actionable one...

What does actionable mean? By my count there are more actionable offers than there are scholarships available. (Please correct me, if I'm wrong) Is it the first to commit that takes the "actionable offer" and then the offers to others at that position cease to be actionable?
Shocky1
Go!Bears;842465442 said:

What does actionable mean? By my count there are more actionable offers than there are scholarships available. (Please correct me, if I'm wrong) Is it the first to commit that takes the "actionable offer" and then the offers to others at that position cease to be actionable?

an actionable offer will be accepted by the cal staff on the spot
Shocky1
Shocky1;842465064 said:

caleb swanigan scored 21 points with 9 boards as the homestead spartans (25-2) tea partied the jay county patriots 51-35 somewhere in the absolutely miserable & cold azz midwest

reason big sauce isn't smiling is because his azz is frozen

conversely, please note how broadly big sauce smiles when he's doing the hang in sunny california with davon, oscar & young ivee

do not question my inner happiness recognition meter via facial evaluation skills, i have a yoga practice & took psych 1 at cal

don't be a freezing azz#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842465113 said:

+2

check out the down on his luck unemployed former arizona basketball player photobombing to the right of las chicas bonitas

big sauce & young ivee, that could be you in a few years if you decide to go to an academically mediocre school in tuscon

if you go to arizona & get injured, you are ******
SFBearz
OldBlue1999;842465282 said:

It says a lot more about some of you than it does Shocky that you see that photo as incontrovertible proof that he's a homophobe. Shocky never commented on the sexual orientation of the men in the photo. To the contrary, Bobo chided him to stick to fashion and his commentary was exclusively about their fashion. Is it possible he was alluding to their sexual preference? Certainly. But it's also possible that he was simply talking about fashion. So who's the true homophobe, the person who posts a photo of two men and critiques their outfits or the person who reacts with threats of violence to the very possibility of being associated with them because he perceives it to "question [his] manhood"? Are homosexual males not men? Can they not be, in one person's view, stylish or unstylish? Are these men in the photo homosexuals? Can we know that simply by looking at a photo???? And most importantly, if sitting on a rug by a fire drinking wine in turtlenecks and moccasins automatically makes you a homosexual then doesn't the same hold true for wearing a fuchsia (not pink) shirt to multiple basketball games?

Moving on to the bikini pictures, it strikes me as exceedingly paternalistic to level accusations of sexism arising simply from the posting of women in sparse clothing. From what I have seen, Shocky has only posted photos of consenting adult women that he found on the internet and/or knows personally. Can adult women be exploited for their sexuality and victimized by that exploitation? Certainly. Does that make every single photo you deem "debased" to be exploitative. Hardly. Some women feel empowered by their sexuality and enjoy leveraging it to their personal gain. Might that be a mistake for some? Sure. But it's their mistake to make. To draw another analogy, many young men from impoverished backgrounds have historically turned to boxing in an effort to improve their (and their families') living conditions. Can boxers be exploited for their physical talents? Certainly. Does that mean every person who's ever stepped inside the ropes has been exploited? I don't think so. Have some boxers improved their and their families' lives even at great personal physical expense. Undoubtedly.

What I support is the right to free expression and choice within the law. I recognize that this is a private forum so there is room for some leeway in policymaking, but also that this private autonomy is rooted in and constrained by the laws of the land. I vehemently object to the attempts by some on this forum to bend its content to their moral values, even if in some cases I may share those values personally. And I LAUGH at the attempts to couch this crusade for censorship as the righteous, progressive point of view.

Whoa, sounds like a few basic courses at Cal are needed to bring you out of the dark ages.
OldBlue1999
SFBearz;842465492 said:

Whoa, sounds like a few basic courses at Cal are needed to bring you out of the dark ages.

You may be right. Will they teach me that any man who doesn't look like an athlete must be gay and that men are the only people qualified to choose how women express their sexuality?
south bender
OldBlue1999;842465499 said:

You may be right. Will they teach me that any man who doesn't look like an athlete must be gay and that men are the only people qualified to choose how women express their sexuality?

These truths certainly will be proven to you.
parentswerebears
This thread is amazing in its ability to stick narrowly to its topic.
Bobodeluxe
:rollinglaugh:
parentswerebears;842465547 said:

stu
parentswerebears;842465547 said:

Well, it is monster class, where you will be taught what is proper to post.
south bender
stu;842465589 said:

Well, it is monster class, where you will be taught what is proper to post.

Only monsters post here. So what does anyone expect?
Shocky1
this isn't gonna be a pretty story

yeah, i graduated with the gold phi beta kappa key, etc. but that doesn't mean my unvarnished blind ambition didn't cause me to do stuff that was wrong

so i wrote a paper for bibliography 128, children's literature, and in rereading it felt it was a technically sound paper but that it lacked interest for the reader...so i totally fabricated & included the following opening paragraph:

"I must confess that I was made uneasy to see Anne Franks's The Diary of a Young Girl on the reading list for this class. Seeing the title on the list raised several burning questions in my mind. Why had I never read this famous book? Why had my father (after a heated and lengthy debate with my mother behind closed doors) removed this work off my bookshelf as a child? It seemed to me that the answers to these questions were somehow linked to my now deceased grandfather. Although my parents never talk about him, I remembered from various bits of information pieced together that Grandpa was a figure of dubious distinction in Hitler's brass during WWII. So I was forced to think. Why were my parents, particularly my father, so reluctant to talk about my grandfather? Could the answers to my grandfather's cloudy role in Germany during WWII be found in The Diary of a Young Girl which was so mysteriously taken off my bookshelf as a child?''

and i also rewrote the following closing paragraph:

"But despite her difficult and sometimes cruel life, Anne Frank did not feel sorry for herself and she never gave up. This is a worthwhile message for both adults and children alike. All in all, The Diary of a Young Girl is a sensitive, well written, and compelling self-portrait of a brave and spirited young girl, that at least for me, will always hold a special place on my bookshelf."

absolutely none of this is true...although i have a german last name, nobody in my family has ever had any connections with any racist groups...i grew up in a culturally mixed family that celebrates individuality & diversity...my dad's sister met her jewish husband while they both were at cal

so what did my teachers say in grading the paper?

the professor: "This a fine review, not only perceptive in its commentary but in itself very well written. I hope you will keep on writing, perhaps professionally? A+"

the teaching assistant: "Your paper was very perceptive and moving because the book had a great impact on you. Though you did not generalize about non-fiction, you approached this particular book in a sensitive and understanding way. Thank you for sharing this highly personal and emotional reaction-it was very important for me personally as an Isreali jew, well versed in the literature of the holocaust, to read your reaction to the subject. The book has made you think, grow up, seek further information, and if it has instilled in you the determination not to let the horrible and shameful history repeat itself, then it has served the purpose Anne's father had when he published her diary. A+"

i'm a flawed person but i know i need to set the record straight even if it means that i'm gonna flunk the class so i go to the ta's office hours

i walk in the door & i'm blown away...she (mid to late 20s) is the cutest girl on earth (petite but curvy brunette with sparkling eyes & a dazzling smile, that's my go zone) & we talk/laugh for about an hour about our favorite authors, recent concerts & the personalities of dogs...but i never tell her my paper is full of ****, i can't stand the thought of her hating me so quickly

so i ask her if she would like to go bike riding with me at muir woods & stinson beach that weekend (with the idea that i would tell her the truth & also see her in a bikini) & she tells me she would love to go out with me but that the university code of professional standards does not allow teachers to date students

i don't give up that easily so i suggest we bring our dogs, surely there can be no policy against our dogs hanging out together, right?

she looks at me with sad eyes & tells me "this isn't going to happen, it can't happen" and we say our goodbyes

fast forward to this summer & i take my daughters shay & taylor to anne frank's house in amsterdam...i write & leave a note to both anne frank & the teacher's assistant apologizing for my actions

shocky is a monster/dumb azz#
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1jy6u_bread-aubrey_music
Shocky1
Shocky1;842464905 said:

congrats to t-wall on his being named to the all pac 12 1st team, gotta love it

we attack#

bad news dept: t-wall & them bears are celebrating that all pac 12 1st team award way too much tonite, don't they know they got a game tomorrow at noon?

why isn't coach webster making sure guys are getting some rest (and turning off them electronics)?...why is dwight sleeping on the floor & missing his front tooth?

vegas curfew#

(this is NOT a foto of tyrone)
Shocky1
go to bed you guys

don't worry, nicodemus has assured me he's gonna hire her as your new yoga teacher this offseason
HoopDreams
Bears in Vegas, with our first look this year at Rooks on the court

[video=youtube;37DmEPeBb_Y][/video]
HoopDreams
HoopDreams
ESPN excerpts...

California

The Golden Bears started strong in Cuonzo Martin’s first season, but a combination of injuries and a lack of depth hurt them in Pac-12 play. Martin has a very solid top of the roster, with guards Tyrone Wallace, Jabari Bird and Jordan Mathews...Forward David Kravish rounded out the quartet this past season, providing inside balance -- but he’s out of eligibility ...There isn't a clear talent upgrade coming into the frontcourt, but Swanigan -- and/or fellow five-star big Ivan Rabb (No. 6) -- would certainly fill that role. Swanigan is a double-double machine who commands double-teams and demands attention in the low post. With him controlling the interior, California’s talented perimeter players could have an easier time getting open looks and scoring opportunities.

Potential logjams

Coming off his official visit to Duke ... seems like the Blue Devils are the team to beat for Swanigan’s signature. With that said, there are some bodies already in place in Duke’s frontcourt. Top-10 prospect Chase Jeter (No. 9) will enter the fold next season, while Amile Jefferson and Marshall Plumlee return and Sean Obi becomes eligible after transferring from Rice. Swanigan is the best player of that group, though, so it might not be an issue.

Purdue would obviously welcome Swanigan, but the Boilermakers have done very well this season with the combination of A.J. Hammons and Isaac Haas at the 5-spot. Haas should be ready for extended minutes next season, and Hammons is likely to return to school for his senior season.

It’s unclear whether Kentucky will be overly crowded in the frontcourt next season...

Other factors

The remaining 2015 prospects on the board do have a direct impact on Swanigan. Arizona has focused on Rabb and diminished its interest in Swanigan, while Kentucky is squarely in the mix for Cheick Diallo (No. 11), Stephen Zimmerman (No. 10) and Maker. Should John Calipari not land any of his other targets -- or if it appears Skal Labissiere (No. 3) could have trouble with the NCAA -- he could make a move with Swanigan.

California will look to build momentum off its recent official visit, and Martin has had a long-standing relationship with people in Swanigan’s circle. If the Golden Bears can land Rabb, that packaging could be intriguing for Swanigan.
Bobodeluxe
Ty
HoopDreams;842465734 said:

ESPN excerpts...

California

The Golden Bears started strong in Cuonzo Martin’s first season, but a combination of injuries and a lack of depth hurt them in Pac-12 play. Martin has a very solid top of the roster, with guards Tyrone Wallace, Jabari Bird and Jordan Mathews...Forward David Kravish rounded out the quartet this past season, providing inside balance -- but he’s out of eligibility ...There isn't a clear talent upgrade coming into the frontcourt, but Swanigan -- and/or fellow five-star big Ivan Rabb (No. 6) -- would certainly fill that role. Swanigan is a double-double machine who commands double-teams and demands attention in the low post. With him controlling the interior, California’s talented perimeter players could have an easier time getting open looks and scoring opportunities.

Potential logjams

Coming off his official visit to Duke ... seems like the Blue Devils are the team to beat for Swanigan’s signature. With that said, there are some bodies already in place in Duke’s frontcourt. Top-10 prospect Chase Jeter (No. 9) will enter the fold next season, while Amile Jefferson and Marshall Plumlee return and Sean Obi becomes eligible after transferring from Rice. Swanigan is the best player of that group, though, so it might not be an issue.

Purdue would obviously welcome Swanigan, but the Boilermakers have done very well this season with the combination of A.J. Hammons and Isaac Haas at the 5-spot. Haas should be ready for extended minutes next season, and Hammons is likely to return to school for his senior season.

It’s unclear whether Kentucky will be overly crowded in the frontcourt next season...

Other factors

The remaining 2015 prospects on the board do have a direct impact on Swanigan. Arizona has focused on Rabb and diminished its interest in Swanigan, while Kentucky is squarely in the mix for Cheick Diallo (No. 11), Stephen Zimmerman (No. 10) and Maker. Should John Calipari not land any of his other targets -- or if it appears Skal Labissiere (No. 3) could have trouble with the NCAA -- he could make a move with Swanigan.

California will look to build momentum off its recent official visit, and Martin has had a long-standing relationship with people in Swanigan’s circle. If the Golden Bears can land Rabb, that packaging could be intriguing for Swanigan.

Does anyone else feel as though they have to take a long shower after reading this?
Shocky1
my niece bailey doing a selfie with klay thompson

washington state's yoga girl

taylor (her high school is on spring break this week) & i are flying to vegas, baby

coach martin had gotta get her boy brenden glapion in the game, that's for sure

gameday#
Bobodeluxe
Y
Shocky1;842465755 said:

my niece bailey doing a selfie with klay thompson

washington state's yoga girl

taylor (her high school is on spring break this week) & i are flying to vegas, baby

coach martin had gotta get her boy brenden glapion in the game, that's for sure

gameday#

Makeup with a spatula!
socaltownie
Jabari and Sam getting right at the core concept in game theory - the prisoner's dilemma. Way to go guys!!!
socaltownie
Bobodeluxe;842465738 said:

Ty

Does anyone else feel as though they have to take a long shower after reading this?

Yes. I HATE the current recruiting process. HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT!!!!
Shocky1
the california golden bears competed like crazy azz dangerous wild animals dominating the rebounding battle 37-22 & unselfishly moving & sharing the ball with perhaps their best effort in that facet of the game since the epic rapid ball movement syracuse victory at madison square garden with a 14-7 edge in assists

guys played with relentless passion & energy, the alpha males were taking care of business on the court...and the bench too brought energy

and yeah, almost everybody played (sorry nick) ...in the cal basketball program, everybody counts (or nobody counts)

look at the brightside, there were no mr nice guys on the court of the mgm grand vs the cougars

just a ****load of bad azzs

left to right, david "#45 fan club" kravish, jordan "the viking" mathews, brenden "future son in law" glapion, tyrone "the college grad/role model for the young ones" wallace, jabari "d force" bird & dwight "gonna kick you azz for every board" tarwater

this is cal basketball#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842460998 said:

dk is the consummate team player unselfishly playing out of position this season & is an amazing student athlete with an eye on the future...mark my words, kravish is gonna be a multi millionaire, a terrific husband & father, and a true friend to those close to him with his giving spirit...dave & debra kravish gotta be pretty proud of their son

the cal basketball experience extends far beyond playing basketball on the basketball court with a basketball...unlike basketball factories like arizona that leave their ballers undereducated & poorly prepared for the future once they leave tucson, the #1 public university in the world successfully prepares its graduates for life's many challenges & opportunities

david, you are a special person & i'm gonna yell my azz off for you on sunday...and yeah, i'll probably go to one of your concerts in the future too, who knew that you're also the lead singer for st lucia?...if you play this song at your upcoming summer wedding to ashton pohlman, i'll feel like i've accomplished something with this dumb azz cal's monster class thread

the smartest bear of them all#

david kravish scored 25 points on an efficient 10-17 fgs & 5-5 fts in his best offensive fireworks during his remarkable career along with 8 boards, 3 redunkulous blocks & only 1 turnover in providing senior leadership & toughness for his california golden bears

the loud & uniformed (kravish spelled on the back of t-shirts along with #45) large kravish family clan sat directly across from the cal bench at the mgm grand & joyfully celebrated their favorite player's crazy production, play by play

funny moment when a female voice, gotta be mom, echoes across the court "nice shot, david!"

thx mom

cal family#
HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]Cal with the 25 point blow out of Washington State
Lead by senior [COLOR="#0000CD"]David Kravish[/COLOR], but with big contributions all around[/SIZE]

[SIZE=6][COLOR="#0000CD"]Rocking in Vegas[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Shocky1
in addition to the ncca march madness, cal is very interested in participating in both the nit & cbi tnts

let's play forever#
Shocky1
there's around 2 minutes left in the washington state game at the mgm grand & the president of the brenden glapion fan club is nudging me & asking me why her favorite player isn't in the game

so i start screaming from our seats (thx ash & jj) directly behind the cal bench "coach, let's get the walk ons into the game, they work their azzs off all season, let's go"

and then coach martin yells "brenden" & our fearless hero jumps to his feet & runs to the scorer's table

taylor can't believe it, this **** is getting live

and then the cougars defender fouls glapion, all of his teammates rise to their feet & start clapping, he's gonna get 2 free throws

so brenden toes the line, bounces the ball & releases his smooth left handed stroke into the las vegas airspace...the ball rotates perfectly for seemingly forever & then drops thru the bottom of the net...the bears crew are totally fired up & pumping their fists...brandon chauca, a great teammate, comes up from behind the 3 point line & messes with brenden's crewcut

taylor & i are going ballistic...i'm screaming at the top of my lungs, "great shot, brenden, way to go baby...washington high school shooter, let's do this baby, let it fly, let's do this"

brenden bounces the ball, inhales a deep breath & focuses in on his 2nd free throw...he deftly strokes the 2nd free throw & it also drops perfectly thru the basket...brenden glapion has got 2 points in the pac 12 tnt, he's in the history books & now the staff is also smiling broadly and telling the guys to get back on d

i'm still roaring like a golden bear saying lots of stupid **** & high fiving dr danger & his son along with everyone else in our vicinity...taylor & i hug and i almost see a mist of bay area fog in her beautiful green eyes, my daughter is alive & happy sharing a very special moment with her dad
[ATTACH=CONFIG]4412[/ATTACH]
(click for larger image of taylor cheesin it at our golf club in flagstaff)

the stars & the universe are all perfectly aligned at this point in time

as the cal players leave the court, i'm stilling relentlessly clapping & yelling at the tv sideline reporter "interview glapion, interview glapion, talk to the big guy, come on let's roll"...the players are looking at me smiling & i dunno maybe shaking their heads a little bit too because i'm such a dumb azz, we've all experienced & shared something bigger than the game of basketball

did i mention that taylor's dream school is the university of san francisco (she's gotta raise her gpa if that's gonna happen otherwise she's gonna be at her mom's school, asu) & that brenden grew up in san francisco?

brenden glapion=cable car baller

the magic of cal basketball#
concordtom
If you KNOW she has to raise her GPA to get into the school of her choice, then what are you doing pulling her from classes now so you two can party in Vegas?
By the way, I've never really seen a closet as uncluttered as that one. Please tell me you were shopping, and that's not anyone's house.
#NeatFreakAlert!

6 hours from Scottsdale to Vegas via Flagstaff.
More blazing across the desert with the top down at midnight?
Or did you fly?
Shocky1
concordtom;842466291 said:

If you KNOW she has to raise her GPA to get into the school of her choice, then what are you doing pulling her from classes now so you two can party in Vegas?
By the way, I've never really seen a closet as uncluttered as that one. Please tell me you were shopping, and that's not anyone's house.
#NeatFreakAlert!

6 hours from Scottsdale to Vegas via Flagstaff.
More blazing across the desert with the top down at midnight?
Or did you fly?

taylor on spring break this week, flew in & out of vegas

i'm kinda neat
concordtom
Shocky1;842466321 said:

taylor on spring break this week, flew in & out of vegas

i'm kinda neat

Well good for you on all 3 counts!
I was busy yesterday with work and didn't get to see the game at all. And I gave up and went to bed 20 minutes before the midnight replay. <sob>
Gotta get my solid 8, er uh, 7:45.
Shocky1
the bears gotta stay together, they don't have to play perfect basketball, that's not gonna happen...they gotta relentlessly compete for 40 minutes unlike the game in tucson,...during that blowout sean miller left his starters in even with the wildcats up by 35+ points with only a couple of minutes left...miller, who inherited an arizona dynasty built by the classy lute olson & jay john, was trying to send a message to young ivee re: this season's wildcats dominance vs the bears but really only sent a message that he is a douche bag trying to run up the score & that he's afraid that his academically mediocre basketball factory's long run as pac 12 champs could be potentially ending as early as next season if cal's diamonds are forever class comes together in the light of day

the bears gotta stay together, to fearlessly play thru adversity, to growl like angry bears

let'd do this
[video=youtube;nse8jE_Mb8I][/video]

they might be giants#
jyamada
concordtom;842466358 said:

Well good for you on all 3 counts!
I was busy yesterday with work and didn't get to see the game at all. And I gave up and went to bed 20 minutes before the midnight replay. <sob>
Gotta get my solid 8, er uh, 7:45.

Get DVR
concordtom
Directv in the woods. Has no pac12 channel. Thus xfinity online, no dvr capability.
First Page Last Page
Page 161 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.