cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,264,168 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BearGreg
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?

cal is all about the celebration & full expression of one's unique individuality

beast mode=ideal fit in beszerkely

this ain't lansing#
Cal Geek
Ivan Rabb "Business development and real estate are his goals after college."
Shocky1

sammy, nobody is gonna ever forget your confident ice in your veins 3 point epic moneyball with 5.8 seconds left vs washington in seattle...trust me, you are not gonna get a birthday card from coach romar this year, no that will not happen

you were the bears most improved player & even bigger things are expected of you next season

the cal coaching staff is gonna work with you this offseason in slightly modifying your shooting form...the bears need you to raise last season's 27.7% 3 point shooting to 40%+ next season...and there's absolutely no reason you can't raise last season's 48.6% free throws to 70%+ next season

sammy, you are truly liked & respected by your teammates, they know you are unselfishly all about helping the team with a ******* relentless work ethic

so it's fully expected you will put in the necessary brutal long hours grinding this offseason, you are a gym rat, there's nothing fancy about that, you will not be outworked

re raiders#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842477090 said:

congratulations to jon harris on being named the new head basketball coach at southern illinois in his hometown edwardsville

this is a tremendous opportunity for coach harris...would not be surprised if harris does not fill his new staff with tarrance crump, a former purdue standout & currently the high energy assistant director of basketball operations for the cal basketball program...tarrance is the guy who is always carrying around that clipboard

jon has been the lead recruiter for tyson jolly among the 2015 prospects but cal should not lose any ground as coach martin recently visited with tyson in oklahoma in advance of jolly's official visit to berkeley april 10-11th

there will be significant interest in the coaching community in the open cal basketball staff position...i hope that coach martin will at least have an exploratory discussion of potential interest with shareef abdur rahim who would be an exemplary role model for cal's bigs particularly with the stated goals of rabb & swanigan to become multiple in their style of play

good luck jon

eddie the cougar#

as expected terrance crump has joined the siue coaching staff in his 1st assistant job of what promises to be a bright future

coach martin's coaching tree#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842459041 said:

who's the dude wearing the suit & holding a clipboard on the cal bench?

that would be tarrance crump jr, the assistant director of basketball operations...crump was also on coach martin's staff at tennessee where he assisted with academics, opponent scouting & filmwork, and recruiting communications

tarrance is married to the former tave' johnson...i sat behind the cal bench (thx jj) with his mother in law debbie (she lives in denver) and her mom at the colorado game...she told me that the couple lives in emeryville, that they love the bay area & that tarrance's goal is to pursue a coaching career

and yeah, tarrance made an ice in his veins game winning dagger to the heart moneyball when he played at purdue

cal family#

coach martin's coaching tree#
south bender
Shocky1;842478259 said:

sammy, nobody is gonna ever forget your confident ice in your veins 3 point epic moneyball with 5.8 seconds left vs washington in seattle...trust me, you are not gonna get a birthday card from coach romar this year, no that will not happen

you were the bears most improved player & even bigger things are expected of you next season

the cal coaching staff is gonna work with you this offseason in slightly modifying your shooting form...the bears need you to raise last season's 27.7% 3 point shooting to 40%+ next season...and there's absolutely no reason you can't raise last season's 48.6% free throws to 70%+ next season

sammy, you are truly liked & respected by your teammates, they know you are unselfishly all about helping the team with a ******* relentless work ethic

so it's fully expected you will put in the necessary brutal long hours grinding this offseason, you are a gym rat, there's nothing fancy about that, you will not be outworked

re raiders#

I would love to see Sam show some of the confidence and aggressive attacking with which Grayson Allen plays. It would hugely boost Sam's game and our team. I am sure Sam was watching...

Go Bears!
Shocky1
Shocky1;842427249 said:

what could be worse than finding out your head coach is as unethical as criminal dana altman?

answer: finding out your head coach is an unremorseful enabler of a rapist because he thought it might help him win a few more games

check out the orange county register article: "alford's past paints blurry character portrait"
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/alford-535065-indiana-basketball.html

if steve alford has not protected his star basketball player after he raped the 1st student, then the 2nd victim most likely would have been spared this violent crime

if alford had been a basketball coach at an iowa middle school rather than the head coach at the university of iowa, then alford would be in a prison today for his documented role in enabling/facilitating a convicted rapist to escape justice all in the name of his winning a few more basketball games

steve alford's insincere decade late apology as mandated by the ucla athletic director during april of 2013:

"at that time i instinctively and mistakenly came to (pierece's) defense before knowing all the facts...i wanted to believe he was innocent and in response to a media question i publicly proclaimed his innocence before the legal system had run its course"

"that was inappropriate, insensitive and hurtful especially for the young female victim and i apologize for that"

"i have learned and grown from that experience and now understand that such proclamations can contribute to an atmosphere in which similar crimes go unreported and victims are not taken seriously"

why did alford wait over a decade to apologize?

does alford truly feel any responsibility for the 2nd rape victim because of his actions?

steve alford=dana altman=joe paterno

this is ucla basketball#

jaylen, have you & your mom discussed this issue with steve alford?

deal breaker#

kevon looney (11.6 ppg & 9.2 rpg) has officially announced his intention to enter the 2015 nba draft...with looney & norman powell (16.4 ppg) leaving westwood, alford is gonna start the slide next season

count on it

ruh roh#
Shocky1

jorge gutierrez has signed a MULTI YEAR contract with the milwaukee bucks & general manager john hammond with the full support of head coach jason kidd

tryone, you gotta be your own authentic person & everyone's path in life is different but jorge returned for his senior year at cal (he would've been a marginal nba prospect like you at that point), he further developed his outside shooting/leadership skills, won the pac 12 mvp award & most importantly, earned his degree from the #1 public university in the world (including mexico)

now jorge is playing without fear, he's got a safety net for when basketball is done with him, which is allowing him to relentlessly achieve all his wildest dreams

this **** is getting live

socaltownie
shocky1;842478526 said:

jorge gutierrez has signed a multi year contract with the milwaukee bucks & general manager john hammond with the full support of head coach jason kidd

tryone, you gotta be your own authentic person & everyone's path in life is different but jorge returned for his senior year at cal (he would've been a marginal nba prospect like you at that point), he further developed his outside shooting/leadership skills, won the pac 12 mvp award & most importantly, earned his degree from the #1 public university in the world (including mexico)

now jorge is playing without fear, he's got a safety net for when basketball is done with him, which is allowing him to relentlessly achieve all his wildest dreams

this **** is getting live

fantastic news!!!!
south bender
Yes, it is fantastic news.

I assume that Jorge will be on the playoff roster? Currently Milwaukee holds down the 6th seed in the East, so with about 5 games left is not apt to slip out of the top 8.

I wonder about the terms of the multi-year contract. Am guessing that none of it is guaranteed.

Let's hope Jorge breaks through in these playoffs, gets substantial minutes, and proves his worth going forward. I would love to see him getting guaranteed money, sticking in the NBA, with no more bouncing back and forth.
Shocky1
one of the great minds of the 21st century once said "costco has a lower acceptance rate than u o a"

with arizona's 95%+ acceptance rate, this is an accurate & insightful statement

which is kinda ironic because working on the floor of costco is kinda all that u of a grads are really qualified to do in today's fiercely global economy that significantly favors those with educational/academic achievement

living in north scottsdale i am eminently qualified to confidentally rank the state colleges for you as follows:

1) arizona state university (the honors college is top notch, u of a candidates need not apply)
2) grand canyon university (plus thunder dan majerle will bang you if you're a hot female under 25)
3) northern arizona university (my club forest highlands is nearby, cold azz in the winter)
4) pima school of bartending (higher career placement rate than u of a)
5) university of arizona (non academically motivated student body)
6) sheriff joe's tent city night school (if you steal 3 cars with your crew & are sentenced to 6 years for each prior felony, how many years will you gotta remain in buckeye if the judge reduces your sentence by 20% for the 5 years already served?)

bear down#
Shocky1

doug griffiths, the former editor of the purdue message board, is indicating on his twitter account that swanigan is down to 2 schools: cal & purdue

purdue head coach matt painter is trying to pressure caleb and his dad, roosevelt barnes, to hold off making a commitment at saturday's nike hoop summit in portland in order to wait until purdue's future roster is more clear

i dunno big sauce is probably tired of living in the cold azz midwest, tired of living in heavy jacket weather...would be a lot more fun to go to school in california's sweater weather with potentially his good friend ivan rabb at the #1 public university in the world

what's a boilermaker?#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842467714 said:

swanigan is weighing the possibility of playing alongside fellow mcdonalds all american/close friend ivan rabb at cal & opened up (dude is pretty private re: his recruitment) today when asked specifically re: purdue

"i like purdue...i like who they have there right now...they're big, they feed the post and they always get the ball inside and it's right here at home...i want another big that i can throw it to kind of like i have it with dana (batt, 6'9" high school teammate)...sometimes dana looks like a five and sometimes i look like a five...you never know, it doesn't matter...you have to show that you can play everywhere on the floor...i don't want to be pigeon holed where i have to do all the rebounding and all the dirty work...announce when i'm going to announce soon"
-caleb swanigan

big sauce, young ivee would complement your game at the #1 ranked public university in the world and yeah, cali isn't freezing azz heavy jacket weather

what's a boilermaker?#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842472250 said:

herbie out after a sun angel donor dinner resulted in a smaller than expected turnout at the chandler fashion square food court

i had told herbie to invite some of my friends from my scottsdale yoga studio but he didn't listen to me

and now herbie is fired

don't be a dumb azz#

jeff capel has said no to asu's athletic director ray anderson re: the open sun devils head coaching position

i dunno maybe they should hire thunder dan majerle, afterall there's more talent in tempe then glendale

curtain of distraction#
HoopDreams
[SIZE=5][COLOR="#0000CD"]Tammy Rabb[/COLOR]: "I'm most proud about the fact that Ivan leads by his actions...his character is just outstanding...he has dreams on and off the court"[/SIZE]

HoopDreams
[video=youtube;f3T-ul7PEsk][/video]
HoopDreams
[video=youtube;NQT9VRj0uy8][/video]
Big C
HoopDreams;842478736 said:

[video=youtube;NQT9VRj0uy8][/video]

I know it's a highlight video, but it really looks like this guy ENJOYS playing in the paint, plus he has some shooting and passing skills. He would be a force in the Pac 12 upon arrival. Holy-moly, he and Rabb really do have complimentary skills.
Shocky1
marvin bagley iii, a 6'10" phenom from corona del sol high school (tempe) is from gilbert (an upper middle class suburb of phx) is ranked as the #1 player in the 2018 class

my yoga classmate buddy padraig o'brien (a highly respected basketball trainer that has worked with 5 lottery picks & kingsley okoroh) told me that marvin is an excellent student in the classroom with a strong academic focus & that his parents (dad is the head coach of the phoenix phamily 2018 youth basketball team) are very strict (and highly religious) & won't let their son's recruitment turn into a circus

so i asked padraig this week how good is marvin, a freshman this year in high school, compared to the pac 12's best players

padraig smiled & told me that bagley would've won the pac 12 mvp award this year...by a large margin

rust never sleeps#
concordtom
HoopDreams;842478735 said:

[video=youtube;f3T-ul7PEsk][/video]

Watching this, it donned on me...
Jaylen goes with Jordan nicely.
concordtom
Big C_Cal;842478739 said:

I know it's a highlight video, but it really looks like this guy ENJOYS playing in the paint, plus he has some shooting and passing skills. He would be a force in the Pac 12 upon arrival. Holy-moly, he and Rabb really do have complimentary skills.

is there enough lift to operate that way against big 7 rooters in the league to be one and done?
I think they would swat him. Even if good footwork and maneuvering of heft got around the primary, a second 6'11" PF would be there to assist, no?
Shocky1
arizona's rondae hollis jefferson is the 3rd pac 12 underclassmen to declare for the 2015 nba draft joining ucla's kevon looney & washington's dismissed robert upshaw
89Bear
concordtom;842478774 said:

Watching this, it donned on me...
Jaylen goes with Jordan nicely.

Wow!!! VERY impressive!
concordtom
89Bear;842478834 said:

Wow!!! VERY impressive!

Yes, like, he could be Jaylen Jordan Brown
Or JJ,
Jordan Jr, except that he's bigger.

If we get him, Domingo is either going to be pissed or take over the 2, sorry Jabari and Jordan...
Because Jaylen ain't never leaving the court. Oh my gosh, is this some HS tape!!!!
89Bear
concordtom;842478843 said:

Yes, like, he could be Jaylen Jordan Brown
Or JJ,
Jordan Jr, except that he's bigger.

If we get him, Domingo is either going to be pissed or take over the 2, sorry Jabari and Jordan...
Because Jaylen ain't never leaving the court. Oh my gosh, is this some HS tape!!!!

If he signs I could see he and Jordan at the 2, with Bird and Domingo at the 3. I think Domingo will be an above average Pac 12 player out of the gate...
HoopDreams
We should have a go small package with 4 wings and guards and rabb
south bender
89Bear;842478849 said:

If he signs I could see he and Jordan at the 2, with Bird and Domingo at the 3. I think Domingo will be an above average Pac 12 player out of the gate...

Isn't Jaylen bigger than either Bird or Domingo?
bearmanpg
concordtom;842478776 said:

is there enough lift to operate that way against big 7 rooters in the league to be one and done?
I think they would swat him. Even if good footwork and maneuvering of heft got around the primary, a second 6'11" PF would be there to assist, no?

How many (if any) Pac12 teams have 6'11" PF's???? I won't lose any sleep worrying about that possibility...
concordtom
south bender;842478855 said:

I think jaylen is 6-7, as is Domingo. Bird is 6-6.
But jaylen looks thicker!
I hear Domingo is a good distance shooter who needs to work on strength bringing it inside (shocky said?), perhaps like Crabbe.
My point is: if JJ comes with Rabb and Swanigan, they will be the starters at the 3-4-5. Which pushes Domingo-Bird-Mathews to the 2. If Wallace stays, he's the 1. And the better of Rooks/Okoroh would be a sub for fouls/rest at the 5. All others are taking a seat. Those 8 would be your NCAA tournament team.
calumnus
south bender;842478855 said:

Yes.

In order of height/weight:
Chauca 5'9" 160
Mathews 6'3" 205
Singer 6'4" 204
Wallace 6'5" 200
Bird 6'6" 198
Moute 6'6" 207
Domingo 6'7" 210
Brown 6'7" 220
Swanigan 6'8" 275
Rabb 6'11" 210
Rooks 7'0" 261
Kingsley 7'1" 254
calumnus
concordtom;842478867 said:

I think jaylen is 6-7, as is Domingo. Bird is 6-6.
But jaylen looks thicker!
I hear Domingo is a good distance shooter who needs to work on strength bringing it inside (shocky said?), perhaps like Crabbe.
My point is: if JJ comes with Rabb and Swanigan, they will be the starters at the 3-4-5. Which pushes Domingo-Bird-Mathews to the 2. If Wallace stays, he's the 1. And the better of Rooks/Okoroh would be a sub for fouls/rest at the 5. All others are taking a seat. Those 8 would be your NCAA tournament team.

If they come, Brown, Rabb and Swanigan are not going to each play 40 minutes as freshmen. Bird and/or Domingo will get some minutes at the 3 for sure.

Hopefully we would push tempo and take advantage of our depth at the 2-3.

Even still, Moute's chance for playing time would be close to nil.
Shocky1
89Bear;842478849 said:

domingo has lit it up during practices with his long range shooting, stephen can definitely shoot the rock

he's going to have to improve his handle in order to more aggressively attack the rim in order to keep offenses from closing out on him behind the line...also he's also going to need to work on his mobility/lateral quickness to guard elite pac 12 wings...like quite a few of the bears, domingo needs to cut loose his inner bad azz

stephen's a 3 than can slide to the 4 against certain match ups
Shocky1
"i would rather he (swanigan) play for the russian team than msu (michigan state)"
-purdue fan re: big sauce

Shocky1
check out the link below for clues re: jaylen's college destination

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2424055-2-overall-recruit-jaylen-brown-uses-epic-trailer-to-show-off-top-8-schools
Cal Geek
Shocky1;842479082 said:

check out the link below for clues re: jaylen's college destination

Jaylen:
Quote:

You'll find out soon enough.

Someone else posted it was going to be end of April.
First Page Last Page
Page 173 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.