cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,256,125 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BearGreg
OzoneTheCat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MoragaBear;842496291 said:

I apologized to her in person later that week after a Cal practice and told her I never should've commented on her.

I completely understand how my "reporterette" comment was perceived by those that took offense to it. I tried to explain in that thread that it was a term used amongst the media to describe Scout's marketing strategy of hiring a lot of attractive young reporters in an attempt to draw out recruits in interviews and it's been largely successful. I thought she still worked with Scout but apparently that was a short stint.

I also went on to describe in that thread the high level of respect I have for women in sports media. They bring a different perspective than men do and it's always good to hear other styles and voices in sports media.

What inspired me to make the ill-advised comment was some of the events that took place at Pac-12 media day earlier that week but I never should've said anything at all, especially using a term that in many people's minds would come across as sexist. It's an inappropriate term.

It's been my policy ever since mixing it up with AW Prince with Rivals years ago to never comment on Cal scout and rivals writers and outside of that incident, I never have, in chat or on the boards. There's just nothing good that can come from it. That includes veiled references, etc.

The need to make the whole Top 5 decision tweet a couple years later? Okay, whatever. This could've all been dealt with offline and I would've removed my comments, no question.

Whatever the case, on my end of the equation, I was wrong.

well said, MB. Case closed.
concordtom
OzoneTheCat;842496329 said:

Daughter's soccer game Monday night, the ref blew some important calls, including a handball in the box, and the result was that we lost the game 1-0. Our coach was upset afterwards and had a meeting with the 3 refs at midfield after the game.

So, my girl gets in the car complaining about how if it wasn't for the refs they would have won, how the refs didn't own up to their blown PK call or any of the other calls, but rather defending all of them and added on top of it that our coach doesn't know what a foul looks like.

I had to give the talk how we are all human and therefore prone make mistakes, imperfection. In the post game meeting, I suggested how instead of staunchly defending his calls, said ref could have used a different tactic:

"I'm sorry you didn't like some of my calls. You know, I can't see everything from the same angle as you, I've got a lot of players and action all over the field nonstop, I'm running to get in place, and making split second judgment calls. I get no replay, and sometimes my brain just shuts off for a nanosecond and I'm left looking at my Asst Refs for guidance. I try my best to call an excellent game, but maybe I missed some calls tonight. Tell me which ones you didn't like so I can go home and think about it enough that I hopefully do a better job next week."

I summed up my speech with: "it takes a big man to admit when he's wrong, in big things and small. I wish we had more of a practice of that, and acceptance of it as well, in this country."
Shocky1
newsflash twitter reports out of berkeley: tony gonzalez is appealing to the ncca for a final year of basketball eligibility & a return to cal to play for coach martin

apparently tony wants to spend just a little bit less time around the house with his wife october, apparently retirement has its challenges

for the hearing impaired, october is telling tony "go bring in the trash can, mr hall of famer, and no golf for you today, don't forget my mom is going be here at 3:30, you're not gonna wear that shirt are you?"

cal (which is very challenging & usually a serious grind) opens doors with the girl of your dreams

twitter authorities are reporting that marco harris & jay john are reviewing the ncca rulebooks to determine if the 38 yr old has any collegiate basketball eligibility left and more importantly, if october can be a mid year enrollee for the cal dance squad (if you don't think october doesn't do yoga 8 times a week, you are clueless)

cal family#
50 yr decision#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including atlanta & every yoga studio around the globe)

meanwhile, october is busily putting together a "now that tony's home all the time schedule" for next week

1) paint the garage door (even tho it doesn't need it)
2) tues drop off & thurs pick up at the dry cleaners
3) active participation in sat morning costco shopping trips, not just pushing the cart with zombie dead eyes
4) redecorate (again) the living room with **** from restoration hardware
5) join the neighborhood's wed nite couple's bunco group & quit looking at the clock to see when he can go home

pending ncca eligibility approval, tony is sooo ready to return to berkeley & graduate from cal while providing back up bench strength at the 4 while mixing it up with wyking in practices

life in the 'burbs#
MisterNoodle
OzoneTheCat;842496329 said:

Agreed, very well said, and haven't we ALL been there at one time or another.
MisterNoodle
NYCGOBEARS;842496295 said:

Love that photo of the Lyon steps. I used to live at the bottom. Some of my best memories were in that neighborhood.

I'm inspired by some of these posts to do some walking in the City . . .
Shocky1
MisterNoodle;842496634 said:

I'm inspired by some of these posts to do some walking in the City . . .

my favorite place to walk in san francisco (no golf carts)

my 2nd favorite place to walk in san francisco

shaylor's favorite place to walk in san francisco (with my credit cards, ysl)

Shocky1
Shocky1;842495152 said:

life is an adventure#

big sauce, kentucky isn't that far from indiana geographically but in terms of diversity, weather & academic excellence it's a million miles away from california

don't be a dumb azz#
Shocky1
[video=youtube;PEbWv9a1CY8][/video]

do you got your season tix(s) at haas?

see them dudes on the bench at the 2:09 mark?...that's gonna be all of us roaring at haas starting this november

honestly, why can't cal basketball be played all year long?

this **** is getting live

jaylen knows#
HoopDreams

HoopDreams
[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=7][COLOR="#000080"]Join the Revolution 2.0[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[video=youtube;seBWTQdLTqk][/video]

Shocky1
west layafette, indiana

lexington, kentucky

san francisco, california

big sauce, this **** isn't that complicated

Shocky1
Shocky1;842491425 said:

gonna miss posting on the kentucky rivals basketball site, rupp's rafter, after my "cal's monster class" has been deleted by the mods & all my electronic devices banned (who says lexington isn't the silicon valley of the south?)

so shay just let me borrow her iphone on the way to whole (paycheck) foods to check on them wildcat fans

"The only thing they have is Blondie's Pizza. So many Asians and liberals at Cal. It is NOT a basketball school."
-Kerry Kat

"Or that Brown chose Cal because it's an Adidas school..."
-BlueBlood66

"Actually people here would like it. Once you get to the outskirts of the bay area, it's a lot of super redneck shanty towns and country club folk, but with also random wineries and occasionally, a grow operation."
-StubbornPenny

:tree

big sauce, check out the insightful commentary from the allwildcat forum:

"ACADEMICS-please troll all you want and by the way congrats on your class-like Cuonzo but don't come here spouting about academics-today's college athletes care as much about academics as i want to be an eastern airline pilot"
-Lifeblue
Shocky1
ashley is under 24 hour psychiatric observation & care at lexington memorial

"what the **** are them cal's diamonds are forever class?...that shocky is kinda cute in a yoga boy sort of way but is a total dumb azz"

meltdown#

dicky v is trying to cheer up ashley but that's not gonna work, not with the cal starting 5 stronger than the kentucky starting 5...i dunno, it already seems like she's already aged a few years since the #1 public university in the world out on the left coast started making waves with the full support of kayne & j cole

poor ashley...dicky v sticking his tongue down her throat is not gonna make her feel better about cal's potential upward ascension past kentucky this upcoming season (and maybe the near future too)

sorry ashley, there's a new girl in town in sunny california & she's well educated...seasons change

don't be a dumb azz#
pierrezo
HoopDreams;842496754 said:

[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=7][COLOR="#000080"]Join the Revolution 2.0[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

I like how that was proceeded by an ad.
KRS One needed some $$$.
Bobodeluxe
"Actually people here would like it. Once you get to the outskirts of the bay area, it's a lot of super redneck shanty towns and country club folk, but with also random wineries and occasionally, a grow operation."

Where do you find an inaccuracy in this overview?
Shocky1
Bobodeluxe;842496891 said:

Where do you find an inaccuracy in this overview?

bobo, i dunno i guess this looks a little like mill valley although i don't really see the stunning views of mt tamalpais...my 1st eagle ever came on the dogleg left 263 yards par 4 9th hole at the mill valley municipal golf course, love that place (you tee off on astroturf mats on several holes)
LACalFan
HoopDreams;842496754 said:

Gil Scott-Heron is turning in his grave.
HoopDreams
[SIZE=7]Congrates![/SIZE]

Shocky1
caleb, if you get injured & basketball is over forever while at kentucky, you will be asked to leave them wildcats luxurious dorms (nothing personal but if you're not gonna be playing basketball on the basketball court with a basketball you best be packing your ****) & this guy could be your roommate for a couple of years in lexington

not exactly ivan & jaylen

coach cal's basketball factory#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842495521 said:

"after careful consideration and discussions with coach romar, i have decided that it is in my best interests to transfer from the university of washington...while i have enjoyed my time in the dawg pound, with the absolute upheaval surrounding the washington basketball program at this time, now is the time to transfer effective immediately...i would also like to take this opportunity to set the record straight that lindsay brauner's recent tweets that i'm gonna be a guard dog at robert upshaw's trap house are completely baseless and factually inaccurate"

-the washington husky

the washington husky is the 8th member of the program to leave the program:

**mike anderson (out of eligibility)
**shawn kemp jr (out of eligibility)
**jernard jarreau (tulane)
**darin johnson (cal state earthquake)
**gilles dierickx (seattle pacific)
**nigel williams-goss (gonzaga)
**robert upshaw (nba and/or prison)

this is washington basketball#

"after meeting with coach romar it has become abundantly clear that he's heading in an entirely new direction and therefore we will no longer be cheering for the washington huskys at future basketball games"

-washington huskys cheerleaders & dance team

what up, jaquori#
HoopDreams
[COLOR="#000080"][SIZE=6]"be the start of something"[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Shocky1
Shocky1;842488100 said:

congratulated t-wall at the basketball banquet on his decision to become the 1st person in his family to graduate from cal

tyrone is both engaging & speaks with humble warmth, he is truly a special person...wallace told me that his academic plan is to attend summer school again this summer & then hopefully earn his degree by the end of the fall semester...this would allow him to take a light school school schedule in the spring & then focus upon the nba workouts & combines after march madness in 2016

t-wall told me with direct eye contact that he intends to shoot 80%+ from the free throw line next season

t-wall=son of proud michelle

this is cal basketball#

who is the early favorite to win the pac 12 mvp award in 2015?

that would be tyrone wallace

pac 12 mvp trophy thru the years:

1993-jason kidd (cal)
1995-shareef abdur rahim (cal)
1996-ed gray (cal)
2000-sean lampley (cal)
2009-jerome randle (cal)
2010-derrick williams (arizona)
2011-jorge gutierrez (cal)
2012-alan crabbe (cal)
2013-nick johnson (arizona)
2014-joseph young (oregon)
2015 early favorite-tyrone wallace (cal)
2016 early favorite-jaylen brown (cal) or ivan rabb (cal)

yeah, kinda seems like berkeley, california is a pretty good spot for the pac 12 mvp trophy

let's do this#
pierrezo
LACalFan;842496953 said:

Gil Scott-Heron is turning in his grave.

For sure. Nothing's sacred.
going4roses
i dont know about that... since we cant ask gil but.. i know he had love and respect for KRS 1
thekuma
Congratulations, Joe!!!

NYCGOBEARS
thekuma;842497099 said:

Congratulations, Joe!!!

That is fantastic!
petalumabear
great to see. way to go Joe.
HoopDreams
thekuma;842497099 said:

Congratulations, Joe!!!

[SIZE=5][COLOR="#0000CD"]Joe Shipp:[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Pac First Team, Two-time team MVP, HM AP All-American and Conference leading scorer at 20+ points/game
Hit 9 three-pointers vs Fresno State
In the 2002 NCAA Tournament, lead his team to a Win over Penn (losing to Pittsburg)
In the 2003 NCAA Tournament, lead his team to a Win over NC State (losing to Oklahoma)

Shocky1

unlike basketball factories like kentucky with mediocre academics that only recognize national championships banners that will accumulate dust over time that often leave the vast majority (except for the chosen few) of their players educationally unprepared to compete in today's fiercely competitive global economy, the #1 public university in the world purposely celebrates the graduations & degree achievements of our students athletes

*****david kravish
*****christian behrens
*****joe shipp

these 3 californa golden bears walked thru the gates of sather gate back in the day & now they will be recognized for a lifetime on a worldwide basis as graduates of the university of california, berkeley...special kudos to joe shipp for the vision, discipline & work ethic to right a mistake made in the past in order to fulfill his destiny & open an infinite number of doors into his bright future...he is limitless mentally, joe is truly a diamond

awesome to see coach martin & athletic director michael williams mark these milestone graduations with our student athletes...hopefully mike got a lot of hugs & that coach didn't keep his distance from afar

mark my words, cal will potentially compete for final fours in the very near future but it will not be at the expense of academic achievement, no that will not happen, that cannot happen

listen up, bears are smart...we will elevate

let's do this

don't be a dumb azz

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world
Cal Geek
Shocky see end of this post,

Shocky1;842497126 said:

unlike basketball factories like kentucky with mediocre academics that only recognize national championships banners that will accumulate dust over time that often leave the vast majority (except for the chosen few) of their players educationally unprepared to compete in today's fiercely competitive global economy, the #1 public university in the world purposely celebrates the graduations & degree achievements of our students athletes

*****david kravish
*****christian behrens
*****joe shipp

these 3 californa golden bears walked thru the gates of sather gate back in the day & now they will be recognized for a lifetime on a worldwide basis as graduates of the university of california, berkeley...special kudos to joe shipp for the vision, discipline & work ethic to right a mistake made in the past in order to fulfill his destiny & open an infinite number of doors into his bright future...he is limitless mentally, joe is truly a diamond

awesome to see coach martin & athletic director michael williams mark these milestone graduations with our student athletes...hopefully mike got a lot of hugs & that coach didn't keep his distance from afar

mark my words, cal will potentially compete for final fours in the very near future but it will not be at the expense of academic achievement, no that will not happen, that cannot happen

listen up, bears are smart...we will elevate

let's do this

don't be a dumb azz

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world

Shocky, you might add Shareef Abdur - Rahim, to quote Wikipedia,
Quote:

After retiring, Abdur-Rahim returned to U.C. Berkeley, graduating with a degree in sociology in 2012 with a 3.8 GPA.
Shocky1
Shocky1;842345874 said:

shareef abdur rahim (the 2nd oldest of 12 children from marietta georgia) was a high school mcdonalds all american...during his one season for the bears rahim averaged 21.1 ppg, 8.4 rpg & was named pac 10 mvp of the year, the 1st freshman to ever win that award...shareef also rocked a 3.5 gpa during that magical year in berkeley

rahim was the 3rd pick of the 1996 nba draft, played 13 seasons in the league with a career 18.1 ppg average & $100+million in nba contracts

shareef met the girl of his dreams delicia in berkeley & today they fund/manage the futures foundation which provides after school & other support services for at risk youth in atlanta..."dee dee" is also a cal grad & a practicing attorney along with being a mom, entrepreneur & philanthropist

in may of 2012 shareef graduated from cal 16 yrs later with a 3.8 gpa & a degree is sociology

check out the interview video with shareef
http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/21/former-california-one-and-done-star-shareef-abdur-rahim-graduates-with-degree/

cal is a dream school...shareef got the girl, the nba $100+million, the cal degree & a promising future

cal family#
50 yr decision#

shareef abdur rahim=role model for fellow wheeler high schooler jaylen brown

bears are smart#
HoopDreams

[SIZE=6]only 30 seconds???[/SIZE]

[COLOR="#0000CD"][SIZE=6]No prob...[/SIZE][/COLOR]

HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]Congratulations to [COLOR="#0000CD"]Kristine Anigwe[/COLOR] for making the U19 World Championship USA team! [/SIZE]

HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]Congratulations to [COLOR="#0000CD"]Courtney Range [/COLOR]for making the University World Games USA team[/SIZE]

Shocky1

coach martin will be the 1st person to tell you that the solid foundation for the upcoming potential epic 2015 california golden bears basketball season was built by the founders who recruited/coached up the high character student athletes tyrone wallace, david kravish, christian behrens & cal's monster class (2013) that attracted cal's diamonds are forever class (2015)

casual bears fans are mostly unaware (or perhaps don't care) that the founders cleaned up the ben braun academic cesspool that was deteriorating the program from the inside...yeah, there were a few mistakes in personnel along the way but the founders also brought to berkeley the most successful days of cal basketball in the modern era...thank you, your efforts are recognized & appreciated

who are the founders?

*****mike montgomery: pac 12 basketball broadcaster & hack at orinda country club getting strokes to wife sarah
*****travis decuire: my man td is the head basketball coach at the university of montana
*****gregg gottlieb: assistant coach at oregon state university
*****john montgomery: director of basketball operation at the university of san francisco
*****theo robertson: steve kerr's jack of all trades for the golden state warriors
*****scott thom: strength & conditioning coach at washington state university
*****annie montgomery: the energy, howlin' at the moon

truth be told, i really don't give a **** about the past, probably focusing too much on the future & the green light across the harbor yet my yoga practice is helping me become more grounded in the present (and also quieting the monkey voices that constantly talk in my head)...despite the many emotional victories during the mike montgomery era such as the justin cobbs ice in his veins dagger to the heart moneyball vs #1 ranked arizona, the thing i remember the most when i close my eyes is my partner in crime for bears crowd noise annie montgomery screaming her azz off at haas & on the road

annie, the oscar frayer led cal's howlin' at the moon class (2016) is named in celebration of you

cal family#
First Page Last Page
Page 194 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.