cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,264,232 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BearGreg
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
[video=youtube;57GY_9r9_eE][/video]

terrence moorehead jr, a lefty 5'10" point guard & future top 100 player in the 2019 class will be attending modesto christian high school next season after graduating from gaston magnet in fresno...terrence is a tenacious defender & skilled facilitator that is already on cal's radar

and yeah, head coach richard midgley is gonna develop his skills, make sure he achieves his academic potential & tell him how graduating from cal helped him play professional ball & meet the girl of his dreams

the cycle#
HoopDreams
[SIZE=5][COLOR="#0000CD"]Alex Morgan[/COLOR] helps Team USA to beat Germany in the World Cup to advance to the Championship game

"Morgan helped set up the breakthrough goal after drawing a foul in the box in the 69th minute. Teammate Carli Lloyd took the penalty kick, sending the ball to her right and finding the net"[/SIZE]

HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]t_wa1l
It's amazing the places basketball can take you and the people you meet along the way! My fav player growing up! [/SIZE]

Shocky1
Shocky1;842501261 said:

happy birthday to jordan ford

jordan is reworking his 3 point shot this summer in the eybl aau circuit with the oakland soldiers from a two motion shot to more of a quicker release one motion shot (like steph curry)

with only 1 scholly available right now (t-wall is the only senior on the bears roster) for the oscar frayer led cal's howlin' at the moon class (2016), this recruiting class will be very fluid in terms of size & prospective targets depending upon potential season end nba declarations...this class could range from 1 to 5 recruits

but the cal staff has confirmed they are targeting a point guard for the 2016 class & jordan ford is rising to the top of the big board as he continues to build strong relationships with the coaches...jordan is the consummate blue collar fiery competitor, a terrific student athlete (strong gpa) with academic ambition & has talked with oscar about potentially joining him in berkeley

ford, a former tournament chess champion, is from an athletic family as his dad cuezar played baseball at the university of california, santa barbara & mom ann was also an athlete...these days they jet ski with the best of them

"for everyone who took today off...thanks"
-jordan ford

salute#

"alot of people dont understand having the right nutrition is a part of training, probably the toughest thing to train...i need to be 170 by the start of the season fr"

"when i was 8 i played aau basketball for the first time and i sat the bench..alot and i hated it and after every game/practice me and my dad went out to train and work on my game..until it became an every day thing...my dad would tell me that someday i would be the best player in sacramento and i would pass a lot of people with hard work and dedication if i really wanted it that bad...we worked out in the summer for 2 and a half years when i was 8...and eventually started passing up people as the years progressed, and now i'm 17 but moral of the story is i learned to hate the bench and i hated being mediocre so i gave up chess and dedicated my life to basketball to be better than everyone i sat behind...the end"
-jordan ford

gym rat#
Shocky1

why is oscar frayer putting in all this hard work both in the classroom (the bears staff has clearly outlined the academic expectations) & on the basketball court?

"no ones going to love you like your mama.."

"focused on a million cash, that's the vision#rest in peace dad"
-oscar frayer

oscar, your academic ambition will open a lot of doors for you in life, let's do this

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including the east bay)

salute#
frank knight's mariners#
Shocky1
gpas matter

real talk#
Shocky1
welcome roman davis, a 6'7" 200 lbs developing student athlete from the academically rigorous winward school in los angeles

roman visited cal this weekend, worked out in front of the staff and was offered a scholarship this morning which he immediately accepted citing that the #1 public university in the world is "a dream school for me"

davis was originally recruited by the prior staff & visited berkeley 2 years ago with his family which left a very favorable impression

coach hufnagel has relentlessly built a relationship with norman thru the past 4 years during his stints at harvard & vanderbilt...and yeah roman's a true student athlete with a 3.5 gpa with interests in math & science

davis has got some stephen domingo to his game with the ability to guard 1 thru 5s on the floor & will start his career with the bears as a high energy athletic defensive stopper...he can shoot with both hands & is borderline ambidextrous...working with coach nicodemus in the s&c program will be a priority along with improving his shooting skills
[video=youtube;K7BwOAOfmLQ][/video]

roman will complete the cal application & administrative paperwork this week & will return to berkeley sunday night or monday morning at the latest to start his california golden bear experience with his new teammates

welcome roman, your family (including relatives in the bay area) will always have a home at haas pavilion

cal family#
stu
Shocky1;842511374 said:

coach hufnagel has relentlessly built a relationship with norman thru the past 4 years during his stints at harvard & vanderbilt...and yeah roman's a true student athlete with a 3.5 gpa with interests in match & science

Exciting news about Roman. I'm sure Cal has some Norman who's interested in a match, but I don't get the connection.

#ambidextrous
#undercontrol
#proofread

mikecohen
Much more competitive, athletic and skilled than one might have imagined from the surface descriptions. I guess our coaching staff (including their predecessors) maybe know something. I mean, compared with a number of the guys over the years who have joined the program at the last minute, Davis makes you wonder why he was still available at this time.
Shocky1

congratulation to davon dillard & his mom coco baker on their commitment today to the oklahoma state cowboys

they are both mentally tough people that have experienced many challenges including food stamps & yet they continue to relentlessly move forward in life...davon's happiest memories are of his hanging out at his dad mario's barber shop on chicago's south side back in the day until dad passed away from a heart attack at age 36

davon, trust me there are a lot of people within the cal program that are gonna be rooting their azzs off for you to achieve your potential during your college career at oklahoma state...i sincerely believe you when you say you are gonna take care of your moms someday
icecream12345
Shocky1;842511469 said:

congratulation to davon dillard & his mom coco baker on their commitment today to the oklahoma state cowboys

they are both mentally tough people that have experienced many challenges including food stamps & yet they continue to relentlessly move forward in life...davon's happiest memories are of his hanging out at his dad mario's barber shop on chicago's south side back in the day until dad passed away from a heart attack at age 36

davon, trust me there are a lot of people within the cal program that are gonna be rooting their azzs off for you to achieve your potential during your college career at oklahoma state...i sincerely believe you when you say you are gonna take care of your moms someday

+1
Shocky1
stu;842511383 said:

Exciting news about Roman. I'm sure Cal has some Norman who's interested in a match, but I don't get the connection.

#ambidextrous
#undercontrol
#proofread

stu, i dunno, maybe roman is more interested in matchs than math

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (for dumb azzs that live in scottsdale)
Shocky1
tyson did not make it to cal's summer bridge due to academic admission issues related to his gpa and test scores & will be attending a prep school next season

while this is frustrating for jolly, there will be more available playing time minutes in 2016 while he works in the classroom to improve his study habits & skills

tyson is still a commit to the bears & will join oscar frayer as part of cal's howlin' at the moon class (2016)

"ive made mistakes tried to take the easy way out!...no more!...im all in for this#beastmode"
-tyson jolly

why is tyson gonna put in all this hard work studying?

"i just wanna hand my moma a mill and say do with it as you please"
-tyson jolly

love this guy

Shocky1
Shocky1;842494542 said:

there is a top secret document (those who have seen it are sworn to secrecy & gotta learn confidential codes & **** like that) that details coach martin's plan for the upcoming season's 13 schollys

be assured that nobody is gonna be run off, coach martin's family approach involves transparency & compassion for those involved

even oski has not been allowed to review this plan, some may think its very existence is a myth (like the loch ness monster or jabari bird & jordan mathews playing defense) but trust me, it exists

this document is referenced in the inner circle of the cal basketall program as "the lisbon plan"

the lisbon plan is unveiled today...only dumb azzs like bar20 would think coach martin would run guys off, maybe he should become a dana altman fan

top secret ****#
BoaltBear
Dangerous recruiting guys with razor thin margins of error academically.
Shocky1
BoaltBear;842511501 said:

Dangerous recruiting guys with razor thin margins of error academically.

agreed, the staff isn't thrilled with the admissions office these days

sorry but we're not in tennessee anymore, this is an understandable learning curve for them re: the academic rigors at cal
Shocky1
Shocky1;842483508 said:

who are these guys on the california golden bears basketball team?

alan crabbe-3.3 gpa@price (currently playing w/portland trail blazers)
justin cobbs-3.39 gpa@bishop montgomery
richard solomon-3.5 gpa@price
jeff powers*-3.6 gpa@delasalle
ricky kreklow*-3.72 gpa@rocky bridge
david kravish*-4.1 gpa@lee's summit north
tyrone wallace-3.5 gpa@bakersfield
christian behrens*-3.5 gpa@tahoma
jabari bird-3.0+gpa@salesian
jordan mathews-3.55 gpa@santa monica
sam singer-3.4 gpa@ransom everglades
kameron rooks-3.5 gpa@mission hills
roger moute a bidias-3.0+ gpa@notre dame
kingsley okoroh-3.0+ gpa@westwind prep/findlay prep
stephen domingo-3.4 gpa@st ignatius
brandon chauca-3.85 gpa@shannon forest christian school
cole welle-4.37 gpa@aptos
nick hamilton-4.2 gpa@westchester
brenden glapion-4.1 gpa@washington
dwight tarwater*-3.9 gpa@webb school
xavier valdes-4.0 gpa@woodlands
ivan rabb-3.15 gpa@bishop o'dowd
jaylen brown-3.1 gpa@wheeler
nick kerr-3.9 gpa@torrey pines
roman davis-3.5 gpa@winward

*will graduate/graduated from cal joining 2012 grads bak bak, brandon smith & robert thurman

cal fans can expect every player listed above to either leave cal with a degree and/or a nba contract..patrick christopher, justin cobbs & richard solomon all have around one remaining semester of schoolwork necessary to earn their cal degrees...as the wise marco harris once told me, men take care of their business

of the 300+ ncaa d1 bb teams, cal is among the most academically elite programs along with stanford and the ivy leagues most noteably harvard

the above is the MOST IMPORTANT stat sheet in cal basketball

this is the difference between basketball factories that use up & then discard their workers (leaving them unemployable on the streets) in today's highly competitive global economy and legitimate collegiate institutions of higher learning with an academic purpose...if you go to an academically mediocre school like kentucky or arizona & get injured you are ******

academic ambition is a beautiful thing, it will open doors in business after your basketball days are over & help you meet the girl of your dreams (and you're not thinking about it now but it will also help you raise intellectually curious children someday)...you can be limitless mentally

don't be a dumb azz#

let's do this

welcome roman davis to the cal basketball family
Shocky1
Shocky1;842511469 said:

there are no guarantees that davon will be cleared by both oklahoma state & the ncca, junior college is still very much in play for dillard...there's no finer head coach in the jc ranks than justin labagh at city college of san francisco who is not only the winningest head coach in college basketball history (87.6% victories) but also sends more of his academically fully qualified student athletes to 4 year collegiate programs with full schollys than any other jc coach in the nation...just ask delon wright of the toronto raptors how ccsf worked out for him in this year's nba draft (footnote: labagh told me this week that delon will be earning his utah degree)

HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]2 July 2015 tweet (day after the news broke that Jolly won't be joining Cal in 2015)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=5]Hope to see Jolly at Cal in 2016[/SIZE]
Shocky1
the cal staff has offered trevon duval, a 6'3" 170 lbs point guard & top 10 player in the 2017 class

trevon attended st benedict's prep in new jersey last year but is considering transferring to a new high school including those in california for his junior year of school

duval is a relentless attacked with length & a willing facilitator/distributor...he's got offers from all the basketball factories & also the #1 ranked public university in the world in beautiful california

cal's touch the sky class (2017)#
Shocky1
"have the courage to be different"
-jaylen brown
[video=youtube;eCGV26aj-mM][/video]

love them rescue dogs#
Shocky1

sami "where's waldo" eleraky, a former bears commit/city college of san francisco big, finished his 1st year as a sophomore with the university of pacific with 3.6 ppg & an impressive 4.0 rpg in only 17.5 mpg...as noted by me back in the day, sami still can't shoot free throws, 37.1%...let's be real here, the staff is very glad there's someone in nor cal that t-wall can beat in a free throw shooting competition

shut up, shocky#
Shocky1
whoops, wrong paris

trust me, when people mention the city of lights they aren't talking about boise

always got time to shop at my favorite shirt clothier with shay & taylor offering fashionista advice

played golf de morfontaine which is my favorite design in continental europe...designed by tom simpson in 1927 morfontaine is serenely quiet as it understatedly offers truly unique and sometime quirky (like the par 3 13th hole with the tree directly in front of the green as pictured below) holes on a beautifully tight walkable routing...golf de morfontaine c'est magnifique

rome around the world#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842508977 said:

the cal staff is actively targeting with an actionable offer ira lee a 6'8"+ 205 lbs power forward from sierra canyon (chatsworth), a top 20 player in the 2017 class

lee missed his sophomore season after undergoing shoulder surgery but is "95%" of the way back now...dude is very physical down low & is currently playing for the oakland soldiers

this is likely gonna be yet another cal, arizona & ucla recruiting battle with ira planning to unofficially visit with his family both berkeley (65% today) & tucson (109% today) this july

ira is a strong student (duke & stanford have also show interest) which is gonna hurt an academically mediocre school like arizona...his decision will focus upon "coaching style, atmosphere and education"

"i like the way they play...coach martin said he'll get me to the next level...i like the way they do things up there...they are trying to build up and win a championship"
-ira lee

lee has already accompanied his sierra canyon teammates to berkeley for one state championship

yeah, ira would an ideal cal fit to replace ivan rabb in 2017 & help them bears touch the sky

important positive development for the bears in the ira lee sweepstakes recruiting battle:

ucla has blinked & taken their 2017 power forward by accepting the commitment of jalen hill during an unofficial visit to pauley pavilion this morning...hill also considered cal & arizona but never made any visits to either school citing his interest in staying close to home as a key factor in his decision but also weighing into his commitment was the lack of an actionable offer at this time from either cal or arizona

this was expected as hill is gonna be joining his corona centennial teammate 2016 big ike arigbogu in westwood

this means the bears will now likely be primarily battling the wildcats for ira lee with the bruins now out of the picture

lee is more athletic, taller & a better student than hill...ira is a major recruiting priority target for cal's touch the sky class (2017)

the poker game#

ira will be visiting not only berkeley & tucson this july but also austin (texas with head coach shaka smart, not to be confused with chaka khan, brandon chauca or shocky the dumb azz)

lee is also receiving significant interest from connecticut...it's likely that ira's listening to high character upconn head coach's kevin ollie's constant message re: the importance of academics will indirectly benefit the bears in the same way that coach calipari's constant message to ivan re: brandon ashley's lack of development while in tucson also benefited the bears in rabb's recruitment

thx coach cal, you played a role in our recruitment of young ivee with your accurate criticism of sean miller, you just never really thought cal was a serious player until it was too late...but to your credit you probably got the message re: the bald azz coach in berkeley after jaylen brown also turned you down...no worries, you still got ashley judd as a fan

ira, let's be real here, if you go to an academically mediocre school like arizona & get injured, you are ******...brandon ashley never really developed prior to his injury & now he's just another college drop out who is gonna make starvation wages (around $20k) in the nba development league as an extreme longshot to make the lakers regular season roster...brandon's got a pretty stressful & uncertain future in front of him, there's nothing glamorous about being an uneducated 22 year old living at home with moms dreaming about getting minted in the league someday

if you don't got no money, take your broke azz home#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including southern california)
Shocky1
Shocky1;842455612 said:

earlier this morning at the salt lake city avis preferred center montana head coach travis decuire came over & said hello to me & my daughter taylor

td's recruiting a slc high school prospect & apologized for barely having his voice after coaching the grizzs last nite to a 83-81 triple overtime thrillah victory at northern colorado to improve montana's conference record to 10-3...dude is one of the top young coaches in the game & will always have my absolute respect

the berkeley game this year was a very emotional event for td as he still loves the guys on the team, he recruited most of them to cal...the game was scheduled a year in advance with the intent to get some of the bay area grizzs back home & also collect a guaranteed payout...td will continue to relentlessly recruit the bay area (unlike some on the prior staff, he always felt we could recruit ivan rabb) & almost got austin paris this year

as td walked away, taylor said "he's really nice"...yeah, sweetie, i knew that

ahmaad rorie will be transferring from criminal dana altman's transient oregon basketball program to montana to continue his college career under the guidance of travis decuire

good luck to ahmaad
going4roses
how come ahmaad rorie did not end up in berkeley?

wish him the best
Shocky1
going4roses;842511935 said:

how come ahmaad rorie did not end up in berkeley?

wish him the best

ahmaad made a commitment to coach decuire during his sophomore year of high school, the two talked almost every day with td taking on a positive male mentorship role is rorie's life due to the absence of a father figure...ahmaad is very close to his moms rhonetta & was an excellent student in high school with a 3.8 gpa

with permission from the staff (donors can never speak with prospective recruits, at that time rorie had already signed a letter of intent with cal), i spoke at length with ahmaad (an avid reader of this cal's monster class thread) while sitting next to him behind the cal bench during the washington game in seattle in the spring of 2014

i was struck at the time how ahmaad's twitter personality (very brash) was quite different than his real personality (reserved & inwardly focused) and that some of his goals seemed quite unrealistic to me at the time...i was also concerned that he left alaska airlines arena almost immediately after the bears high energy victory opting not to visit with the coaches (other than td) & his future teammates...i shared these observations with the prior staff

point guards more than anybody on a basketball team need to be unselfish leaders, guys that command respect & facilitate their teammates...t-wall needs to lead his team more vocally this season but he fulfills all of the other qualities of a great leader...sam singer & brandon chauca also put team goals ahead of their own personal achievement and i admire both of them for that, they are my boys

ahmaad & coach martin never quite got on the same page so rorie signed with dana altman who smoothly fed his ego of nba stardom...of course the criminal's promises turned out to be empty so now rorie will be heading to montana to be guided by someone he can truly trust

rorie is not really a point guard, he's kinda like paris austin, a high scoring undersized 2 trapped in a point guard's body...he would've been a good fit ala justin cobbs with cal under mike montgomery or travis decuire as the head coach with the bears then mid tempo pace of play that emphasized half court sets...unlike burners like dominic artis he wasn't a good fit in oregon's frenetic paced offense ...the shame of it all is that ahmaad wasn't mature/sophisticated enough at the time to constructively understand his own skills & the best type of offense to showcase those skills which allowed a slick salesman like altman to sell him a pile of ****

ahmaad rorie truly loves his mom (just like me and dwight tarwater) & for that i will always root for his future success...he's a good person that will mature under coach decuire's brutally honest but compassionate mentorship

the 253#
Shocky1

cal basketball is blowing up worldwide & parties are being thrown all over the globe tonite in celebration of jabari bird's 21st birthday

illuminari#
south bender
Happy 21st to our Bird!
SFBearz
Shocky1;842512012 said:

ahmaad made a commitment to coach decuire during his sophomore year of high school, the two talked almost every day with td taking on a positive male mentorship role is rorie's life due to the absence of a father figure...ahmaad is very close to his moms rhonetta & was an excellent student in high school with a 3.8 gpa

with permission from the staff (donors can never speak with prospective recruits, at that time rorie had already signed a letter of intent with cal), i spoke at length with ahmaad (an avid reader of this cal's monster class thread) while sitting next to him behind the cal bench during the washington game in seattle in the spring of 2014

i was struck at the time how ahmaad's twitter personality (very brash) was quite different than his real personality (reserved & inwardly focused) and that some of his goals seemed quite unrealistic to me at the time...i was also concerned that he left alaska airlines arena almost immediately after the bears high energy victory opting not to visit with the coaches (other than td) & his future teammates...i shared these observations with the prior staff

point guards more than anybody on a basketball team need to be unselfish leaders, guys that command respect & facilitate their teammates...t-wall needs to lead his team more vocally this season but he fulfills all of the other qualities of a great leader...sam singer & brandon chauca also put team goals ahead of their own personal achievement and i admire both of them for that, they are my boys

ahmaad & coach martin never quite got on the same page so rorie signed with dana altman who smoothly fed his ego of nba stardom...of course the criminal's promises turned out to be empty so now rorie will be heading to montana to be guided by someone he can truly trust

rorie is not really a point guard, he's kinda like paris austin, a high scoring undersized 2 trapped in a point guard's body...he would've been a good fit ala justin cobbs with cal under mike montgomery or travis decuire as the head coach with the bears then mid tempo pace of play that emphasized half court sets...unlike burners like dominic artis he wasn't a good fit in oregon's frenetic paced offense ...the shame of it all is that ahmaad wasn't mature/sophisticated enough at the time to constructively understand his own skills & the best type of offense to showcase those skills which allowed a slick salesman like altman to sell him a pile of ****

ahmaad rorie truly loves his mom (just like me and dwight tarwater) & for that i will always root for his future success...he's a good person that will mature under coach decuire's brutally honest but compassionate mentorship

the 253#

No, both Austin and Rorie are pgs. Austin is a pass first pg.
Shocky1
SFBearz;842512068 said:

No, both Austin and Rorie are pgs. Austin is a pass first pg.

sfbearz, have you ever seen austin or rorie play in person or talked to their high school coaches?
Shocky1
Shocky1;842499919 said:

never forget#

as i sit on the terrace of my favorite hotel in the world, i'm reminded of the tremendous freedoms & opportunities we have in the united states of america because of the brave efforts of those that protect us from those who wish us harm...for them their lives & their families can sometimes change in 24 seconds

HoopDreams
[SIZE=5][COLOR="#0000FF"]Happy 4th of July
Represent USA[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Shocky1

"am i about dollars or about change?"
-jaylen brown, noted philosopher

questions of the universe#
Shocky1

kim k & i got the same taste in hotels, no wonder she gonna dump that sorry azz kayne for me, she wanna go to them cal basketball games & root for them diamonds
First Page Last Page
Page 204 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.