cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,256,261 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BearGreg
HoopDreams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
[COLOR="#0000CD"][SIZE=5]Bears win![/SIZE][/COLOR]

Shocky1
[video=youtube;jtB-kCsGY20][/video]

started at the bottom#
Shocky1
HoopDreams;842560442 said:

[SIZE=5]Vantastic, u still on campus?[/SIZE]

it's 11:35 am, 5 minutes after the end of cal's highly competitive (guys not backing down, last year's team sometimes candy azz soft play will not be a problem this season) closed practice & coach hufnagel walks into haas pavilion with vance jackson & his family including his sister...vance's moms got a radiant smile on her face

vance is shooting at the side basket & is visiting with coach christopher when coach webster comes over & talks to him

taylor is telling me that vance got the best hair (and shoes)...ever

vance & tracy start throwing up 25 moneyball buzzer beaters while laughing with each other when stephen domingo runs over & tells vance "to force coach to go hard left" & to "not let him go right, he doesn't like that"...guys come over to watch & there's a little trash talking but mostly it's everybody enjoying each other's company while the background music is playing...yeah, it's a beautiful view

this is cal basketball#
BearsObserver
Shocky1
coach martin is visiting with the jackson family near midcourt while sammy singer is working x's & o's with coach hufnagel on a whiteboard & brandon chauca is draining post practice 3 pointers

vance walks over to talk again with coach & shake hands and share the love...but why is that dumb azz doing yoga poses in haas pavilion in the foreground...what the **** is wrong with that guy?

make no mistake about it, cal basketball isn't about perfection, it's about outworking the competition & getting better every single day...namastae

vantastic#
Shocky1
saturday morning's highly competitive & physical closed practice with guys knocking each other on their azzs in the pursuit of starting roles/playing time

shocky is a dumb azz...one of the most important lessons i try to share with my kids is to relentessly pursue your dreams in life with maximum fun without fear or embarrazzment...life is too short for that ****

dad's personal shopper assisting with a tuxedo shirt from dior homme for cal's diamonds are forever epic opening night on november 13, 2015 at the center of the universe, haas pavilion...it's gonna be a gala event for the ages

shared tasty (and healthy) caprese salad with shrimp at fino restaurante in san francisco on post street

fallon, taylor did not get this dress (much to her chagrin), i'm trying to follow your sage advice to not be an enabler

late nite wicked chocolate sundae w/brownie desert at ghiradellis square, not on coach christopher's approved list that's for sure

love you, sweetie#
BearsObserver
HoopDreams
BearBackerinLA;842562444 said:

stu
More evidence Cal is the #1 public university:
[URL="http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/05/us/politics/malia-obamas-college-pick-ivies-liberal-arts-or-public-university.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=second-column-region®ion=top-news&WT.nav=top-news"][COLOR="#0000FF"]NY Times on Malia Obama[/COLOR][/URL]
Shocky1
Shocky1;842560375 said:

charlie is officially visiting memphis this weekend, too bad coach webster can't accompany moore on this trip, tracy likes music & dancing a lot plus he's a lot of fun (he's kinda like elvis that way)

let's be real here, memphis is not even an academically mediocre school but 86% of corporate recruiters favor candidates with a degree from the university of memphis than those with only a ged or those that can't read

charlie did not meet elvis and/or commit to memphis during his official visit

halloween#
Shocky1
stu;842562637 said:

More evidence Cal is the #1 public university:
[URL="http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/05/us/politics/malia-obamas-college-pick-ivies-liberal-arts-or-public-university.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=second-column-regionion=top-news&WT.nav=top-news"][COLOR="#0000FF"]NY Times on Malia Obama[/COLOR][/URL]

yeah but uconn is the #2 ranked school in upstate connecticut behind the highly regarded storrs school of snow removal & chimney cleaning

go huskies#
Shocky1
vance, hoping that you, your mom & dad and your sister enjoyed your time in berkeley

and yeah, that hopefully nobody was on their worst behavior when you were trying to drain moneyballs from behind the 3 point line at haas pavilion:tree

vantastic#
HoopDreams
[video=youtube;hMNGQAAkUt8][/video]

Shocky1

after practice saturday i met jay kim, a recent haas biz school grad (like myself), who will be providing analytics to coach martin this upcoming season re: the tendencies of opponents, cal's best 2nd half small line up, etc.

jay was motivated by the movie billy ball & the successful championship usage of analytics by the oakland a's in professional baseball...while all nba teams utilize analytics, very few colleges do so at this time which is gonna put the bears ahead of the curve...yeah, bears are smart...he told me he will be explaining his role to visiting recruits, this is the kinda advanced intelligence that you expect from the #1 ranked public university in the world, no wonder malia obama is considering cal as her collegiate destination

kim is from south korea & i shared with him how graciously (banquet that evening in my honor & an interview with golf magazine south korea) i was treated at nine bridges on jeju island on a very windy day in becoming the 13th person to successfully play the world's top 100 golf courses...yeah i drained this 25 foot putt on the island par 5 18th green to finish the quest in style, that's just how bears do **** & stuff like that

not too bad for a former san francisco golf club caddie, gotta pursue your dreams

started from the bottom#:axe
89Bear
Shocky1;842563032 said:

after practice saturday i met jay kim, a recent haas biz school grad (like myself), who will be providing analytics to coach martin this upcoming season re: the tendencies of opponents, cal's best 2nd half small line up, etc.

jay was motivated by the movie billy ball & the successful championship usage of analytics by the oakland a's in professional baseball...while all nba teams utilize analytics, very few colleges do so at this time which is gonna put the bears ahead of the curve...yeah, bears are smart...he told me he will be explaining his role to visiting recruits, this is the kinda advanced intelligence that you expect from the #1 ranked public university in the world, no wonder malia obama is considering cal as her collegiate destination

kim is from south korea & i shared with him how graciously (banquet that evening in my honor & an interview with golf magazine south korea) i was treated at nine bridges on jeju island on a very windy day in becoming the 13th person to successfully play the world's top 100 golf courses...yeah i drained this 25 foot putt on the island par 5 18th green to finish the quest in style, that's just how bears do **** & stuff like that

not too bad for a former san francisco golf club caddie, gotta pursue your dreams

started from the bottom#:axe

Thankfully, no pink golf shirts in your closet, I think...
HoopDreams
[video=youtube;mTxqaCzl3cc][/video]

[SIZE=5]cool jumpman practice jerseys[/SIZE]
Shocky1
"i like having nothing to stress about so i can stay focused on basketball...just kid from oklahoma tryna put the family on the top...all i need is the opportunity and i will take advantage"

-tyson jolly

Dear Tyson's Mom,

How are you?

I am fine.

You have done an amazing job raising Tyson as such a passionate & ambitious young man, his energy is off the charts.

Tyson kinda reminds me of myself (and Huf) with his irrepressible & unlimited energy. When I was in 3rd grade my teacher told my moms that I should be put on medication for hyperactivity. My moms didn't buy that foo foo lame **** advice, she just sent me to school 45 minutes earlier each morning & told me to play basketball with the 6th graders. That worked, it wore me out a little bit before heading into the classroom.

It can't be easy for you to see your special son so far away from Oklahoma City now in Florida & next year in Berkeley, I know you must wonder when you will see him again.

But he's in good hands, you know that from the bottom of your heart.

Best regards,

Shocky

Shocky1
Shocky1;842544115 said:

who is the earliest morning riser within the cal basketball program?

that would be marcus green, the assistant director of basketball operation...the high energy/good energy dude eats breakfast with the guys at the training table every morning, serves as a big bro on a lot of topics from school to girls & is a relentless class checker to ensure everybody is where they gotta be in addition to his operational support of the director of basketball operations marco harris

marcus grew up in the chicago area, was a 4 year letterman & 2 time team captain at purdue along with graduating with a degree in organizational leadership & supervision and later played professionally in buenos aires, argentina which has got a lot of curvy brunette yoga females

there's an app named waze which provides info in real time the location of police officers & traffic accidents...a couple of the bears told me that they got a code name for marcus that they text to each other when green is on the prowl

moms of prospective recruits gotta feel reassured that their sons are in good hands with marcus green keeping an eye on everything...let's be real here, coach martin is usually sleeping while marcus roams berkeley before the dawn every morning

this is cal basketball#

marcus, let's be real here, tyson is gonna be your greatest challenge to date

please don't strangle him, ok?

he's a good kid, he just kinda bounces off the walls, just work with him to stay focused & be there for him as the big bro mentor

cal family#
bearmanpg
Jolly is the type of kid that I will be rooting for whether he plays a minute of basketball for the Bears or not....just seems to me to be a credit to the human race....
HoopDreams

Shocky1
brandon, you are a fearless competitor & i respect that you don't back down to nobody...somebody try to knock you on your azz, that **** is not ok with you, you weren't raised to be candy azz soft

you just gotta knock down them open 3 pointers when the bright lights are on, your relentless work ethic will serve you well in life...let if fly, baby

your pops is proud of you, don't ever wait until it's too late to tell him how much you love him

the sniper#
Shocky1
devearl ramsey with the commitment to nevada...hopefully devearl will work as hard in the classroom as he does on the basketball court in the future
Shocky1
Shocky1;842443515 said:

jade smith is a 6'2" 160 lbs 2017 point guard from st joseph's in alameda...smith is being actively scouted by the bears coaching staff as #5 for the pilots brings length, speed & overall strong court awareness to the court...jade's height creates mismatches against opposing guards & his decision making/floor vision are exceptional

yeah, there was another dude who played the 1 and facilitated his teammates as a standout for st joe, cal & in the nba back in the day

bay area's finest#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (including oakland)

congrats to jade smith on his offer from coach martin after his 5 hour unofficial visit to cal sunday including watching them california golden bears practice & getting the vip tour from coach hufnagel

smith has gotta work on his shooting touch, continue to develop strength & work harder in the classroom to raise his current 3.0 gpa

jade is a key targeted prospect for cal's touch the sky class (2017), he's no lupe fiasco that's for sure...dude is a man of steel when shooting game winning moneyball free throws with everything on the line, kinda like another #5 from st joe's who played for the bears

[video=youtube;FWMj0G0ahJ4][/video]
south bender
Shocky1;842563797 said:

congrats to jade smith on his offer from coach martin after his 5 hour unofficial visit to cal sunday including watching them california golden bears practice & getting the vip tour from coach hufnagel

smith has gotta work on his shooting touch, continue to develop strength & work harder in the classroom to raise his current 3.0 gpa

jade is a key targeted prospect for cal's touch the sky class (2017), he's no lupe fiasco that's for sure...dude is a man of steel when shooting game winning moneyball free throws with everything on the line, kinda like another #5 from st joe's who played for the bears

[video=youtube;FWMj0G0ahJ4][/video]

How does height at 6'-2" create mismatches at the guard position in 2015? Other than Chauca and a few others, I would guess that 6-2 at the point may even be small.
Shocky1
south bender;842563850 said:

How does height at 6'-2" create mismatches at the guard position in 2015? Other than Chauca and a few others, I would guess that 6-2 at the point may even be small.

jade was 5'10" as a freshman & is now pretty close to 6'3" and still growing...smith is only a junior in high school (2017 class)
south bender
Shocky1;842563957 said:

jade was 5'10" as a freshman & is now pretty close to 6'3" and still growing...smith is only a junior in high school (2017 class)

Well, all I read in your post is that he is 6-2. Moreover, you don't know if he is still growing taller. A person grows taller till he stops growing taller, and that is known only in retrospect.

Go Bears!
Shocky1
south bender;842563969 said:

Well, all I read in your post is that he is 6-2. Moreover, you don't know if he is still growing taller. A person grows taller till he stops growing taller, and that is known only in retrospect.

Go Bears!

the original post was written half a year ago, he was 6'2" then...trust me the staff knows if guys llke jade smith & damari milstead are still growing (or not) & that impacts cal's prioritized recruitment of targeted prospects

south bender, do not question my knowledge of human growth plates, i aced astronomy 10
south bender
Shocky1;842563976 said:

the original post was written half a year ago, he was 6'2" then...trust me the staff knows if guys llke jade smith & damari milstead are still growing (or not) & that impacts cal's prioritized recruitment of targeted prospects

south bender, do not question my knowledge of human growth plates, i aced astronomy 10

"Human growth plates"? I like it, though I have no idea what it means.

I would like also to comment on your frequently used, "trust me." In a graduate seminar, a professor made the point that whatever someone says about themselves, one should read as meaning the opposite. I have come to appreciate the truth of his comment, which in my early 20s seemed cynical.
mikecohen
Shocky1;842563957 said:

Just for fun: Remember Anthony Davis, who started with the same trajectory and wound up at 6'11".
mikecohen
south bender;842564004 said:

"Human growth plates"? I like it, though I have no idea what it means.

I would like also to comment on your frequently used, "trust me." In a graduate seminar, a professor made the point that whatever someone says about themselves, one should read as meaning the opposite. I have come to appreciate the truth of his comment, which in my early 20s seemed cynical.

I fear you missed the humor in Shocky's remark, which humor was essentially making the same point as your response, in a light-hearted (and, at least to me, amusing) way. When some loud braggart tries to put me down, I tell him: Wait a minute, Buddy. Ain't you heard of my school.
concordtom
Shocky1;842563976 said:

Your stupidity never fails to amaze.
Astronomy.... you idiot.
Wrong subject.

Shocky1
concordtom;842564102 said:

Astronomy.... you idiot.
Wrong subject.

tom, thank you for clarifying this for me, that is much appreciated

can you believe it that i graduated from the haas undergraduate school of business with a 3.91 gpa & phi beta kappa honors?

my guess is that all of them curvy brunette yoga female teaching assistants & professors just took care me because of my special non academic skills

wishing on a star#
SFBearz
Shocky1;842564115 said:

tom, thank you for clarifying this for me, that is much appreciated

can you believe it that i graduated from the haas undergraduate school of business with a 3.91 gpa & phi beta kappa honors?

my guess is that all of them curvy brunette yoga female teaching assistants & professors just took care me because of my special non academic skills

wishing on a star#

Well Cal didn't have the same standards or tough faculty during WWI.
mikecohen
concordtom;842564102 said:

Astronomy.... you idiot.
Wrong subject.

With a thick German accent like an authoritarian academic in the period between the World Wars (maybe played by Sig Ruman). This is becoming as entertaining as an old movie.
stu
mikecohen;842564054 said:

When some loud braggart tries to put me down, I tell him: Wait a minute, Buddy. Ain't you heard of my school.

Nice. Anyone else around here both old enough and idle enough to get the reference?
First Page Last Page
Page 228 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.