cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,263,317 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BearGreg
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BearBackerinLA;842566724 said:

we are in his final 3.

we are in his final 2
Shocky1

jayce, if you told me you also think salt lake city is the weirdest, least diverse (kinda like storrs) & socially backwards city in the united states, i would believe you

sal ka that siti isn't exactly paris or san francisco, that's for sure

sanctuary (the montage)#
Shocky1
dominoes work both ways, a thoughtful decision re: academic ambition can open many future doors in life to an unlimited future...on the other hand, a dumb azz decision re: playing basketball on a basketball court with a basketball can lead to a bleak future in today's highly competitive global economy that favors those that are well educated

50 year decision#
bar20
What if all these guys we have offered decide to come to Cal, then what?
HoopDreams

[SIZE=5][COLOR="#0000CD"]
[video]http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=13850048[/video][/COLOR][/SIZE]

BearsObserver
depends if it is "actionable" or "conditional" offer. This was explained earlier in this thread.

bar20;842567149 said:

bar20
BearBackerinLA;842567267 said:

depends if it is "actionable" or "conditional" offer. This was explained earlier in this thread.

Oh, I will just read through the different pages until I find it...... Not!
BearsObserver
here you go ...

http://bearinsider.com/forums/showthread.php?62260-cal-s-monster-class&p=842556485&viewfull=1#post842556485

bar20;842567446 said:

Oh, I will just read through the different pages until I find it...... Not!
Shocky1
jayce, this **** isn't that complicated for a man of steel

home is where the heart is#
Shocky1
jayce, men of steel don't live in salt lake city...let's be real here, neither do their girlfriends

concordtom
I wonder if that paint is flavored.
Shocky1
why don't coach martin got no hair?

do you got your season tix(s) to the upcoming epic season of cal basketball, everybody is welcome on the love train

[video=youtube;H2Aowbpv0XM][/video]

east st louis (the hole)#
Shocky1

taylor is asking me when she's gonna see her boyz again, when will she see them again?

sorry sweetie it won't be until cal's epic opening night gala on friday november 13th at 8:00 pm at our palace haas pavilion

will we see you too on that special nite for the ages?...if you see mist in my eyes as i enter the center of the universe that nite it's probably because of the ******* bay area fog, don't be a dumb azz

the magic of cal basketball#
HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]Cal took Utah down to the wire, despite Cal future NFL QB Jared Goff having "the worst game of my life"[/SIZE]

[SIZE=5]But there was another Cal vs Utah battle on the sidelines, as 4 Star athlete and 4.0 student Jayce Johnson was on his official visit to Utah. Word out is it's 50-50, despite what the "experts" say in their crystal ball[/SIZE]

[SIZE=5]Jayce, don't let the bright lights of ESPN Gameday influence you. Those lights are gone now. Better to return home, talk with your family about what you really want to do in life, and make the smart decision[/SIZE]

HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]so you want to make it to the NBA?

If you come to Cal, the NBA scouts won't be watching you from afar (they won't need binoculars)

NBA scouts are closely watching Cal players. The team is loaded with NBA prospects...they even came to Cal's first practice[/SIZE]

brj1
there's no need for argument, there's no argument at all

[video=youtube;IXOdYeG7Nio][/video]
Shocky1
jayce is flying home from his utah official visit without making a commitment and/or meeting the girl of his dreams

yeah, there's absolutely nothing glamorous about salt lake city for a man of steel

BearsObserver
Shocky1

jayce, hot girls wanna live in warm weather locales like lisbon, scottsdale, the bahamas, italy's amalfi coast, the french riviera & california...just because you're a man of steel don't mean you gotta freeze your azz off for half a year every winter

let's be real here, them curvy brunette yoga females don't wanna live in cold azz siberia, upstate connecticut, salt lake city or the north pole

Shocky1
BearBackerinLA;842569741 said:

connecticut
GOCAL73
Shocky1;842569773 said:

connecticut

Connecticut, what?
Shocky1
bar20;842567149 said:

the staff is fully operational with a top secret recruiting strategy entitled the lisbon plan

nobody on the basketball team is gonna be run off, cal is not a heartless basketball factory

one component of the lisbon plan (those with knowledge are sworn to secrecy at a midnight ceremony behind the castle in sintra) is the potential utilization of prep schools...tyson jolly is attending the elev 8 prep academy in delray beach, florida & alec hickman will also attending a prep school next year

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including lisbon)
seattlebear02
GOCAL73;842569783 said:

Connecticut, what?

Vance Jackson down to UConn and Cal. Tea leaves (and Shocky) say he's going to Uconn. Dang.
Shocky1
yuba community college's jojo zamora with the commitment to utah

jojo rocked a 2.4 hs gpa at newark memorial & the academically acclaimed impact academy in las vegas
south bender
seattlebear02;842569880 said:

Vance Jackson down to UConn and Cal. Tea leaves (and Shocky) say he's going to Uconn. Dang.

With all due respect to tea leaves and the Shockster, it is only what Vance has to say that matters.
Shocky1
south bender;842570247 said:

With all due respect to tea leaves and the Shockster, it is only what Vance has to say that matters.

agreed

great day to be a husky#
south bender
Why? Did he commit to UConn?

If not, I say "mush!" to the Shockster!
HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]As a small guard competing at the highest level, you always gotta work harder, be tougher, and refine your craft

Ask Jerome Randle. They said he was too small. They said he was not athletic enough. They said he couldn't play at the high major level

And opponents are going to talk. They are going to be in your ear to get in your head. To break your confidence. To gain every advantage

But Randle kept working. Kept grinding....all the way to the Conference Player of the Year, leading Cal to the Conference Championship

I saw a little Randle in Chauca's first year. And Randle's offer to help could be one of the best birthday presents Chauca's ever received[/SIZE]

[SIZE=5]p.s. Brandon, work on your tear drop. Randle was a master of it[/SIZE]
Shocky1
"thinking about my life and how i came from nothing, not only how i came from nothing, i made it something!"

-oscar frayer

editor's note: if you listen carefully to the intro of the linked song you will hear conclusive proof that coach martin is actually also billy preston...ok, maybe not with as much hair

salute#
Shocky1
jayce johnson to utah

immediate starting/playing time opportunity is prioritized over a world class education
Shocky1
Quote:

what are the key characteristics of successfully targeted cal basketball student athletes?

1) #1 ranked public university in the world: a prospective recruit has to value the educational component of the cal experience in order to make a commitment to the necessary academic workload...therefore quotes from high schoolers (both basketball & football players) that will become future california golden bears usually include an acknowledgment that "a big part of my collegiate decision today is that cal is the number one public university in the world that will set me up for life"

2) grade point average (gpa): future california golden bears have got academic ambition...talking about wanting to get better grades like davon dillard & brandon sampson is not the same thing as actually turning off the tv/social media every single night to do the necessary classwork to attain good grades...as the wise marco harris once told me, "men take care of their business"...hopefully oscar frayer & tyson jolly become mentally limitless to lead cal's howlin' at the moon class (2016)

3) family: coach martin's love train is all about sharing, living & supporting each other in pursuing the dream...guys like tyler dorsey who just wanna "get buckets" for a criminal like dana altman are not a good cal fit

4) diversity: listen to the ivan rabb & jaylen brown welcome to cal videos, they both sincerely mention with smiles on their faces their appreciation of the tremendous diversity at cal...guys who just wanna be around people with the same views & appearances as themselves are better suited at homogenous schools like gonzaga (zach collins)

5) personal development: cal student athletes are not only interested developing/maximizing their basketball skills/potential but also becoming a better person, a true leader in their communities...dumb azzs just wanna play basketball on a basketball court with a basketball and hope they never get injured...let's be real here, guys who go to academically mediocre schools like oregon & arizona and then see their careers ended in a split second collision are ******

6) moms: cal basketball players love their moms like the shockster, we will walk to the end of the earth (and then back again) for our moms...dwight tarwater knows what i'm talking about

"victory to me is when you get your moms right"
-tyrone wallace

"no ones gonna love you like your mama..."
-oscar frayer

"i just wanna hand my mom a mil and say do with it as you please"
-tyson jolly

jayce johnson's interview re: his utah commitment focuses upon his close relationship with special k & his experience in developing jakob poeltl

my analysis of jayce johnson's recruitment based upon the 6 characteristics specified above is as follows:

1) while an outstanding student athlete, johnson's ultimate choice prioritized starting/playing time vs academic ambition...cal's reputation as the #1 ranked public university in the world did not really matter in his selection of an academically mediocre school like utah...this was not a 50 year decision, this was a basketball decision

2) 4.0 gpa, jayce was definitely a cal fit from an academic perspective

3) the opportunity to play in front of family in california on a team with tight relationships like the bears was not a priority in this decision as evidenced by selecting a school in salt lake city...the johnsons are relatively affluent so paying for a semester at utah due to the utes scholly shortage this january & flying from so cal to slc may be less of an economic hardship than it would be for many families

4) diversity did not appear to be a factor at all to jayce in selecting a school with an overwhelmingly homogenous white student population

5) none of johnson's public statements stated personal development or growth as a young man as a priority in his decision...once again, this was a basketball decision

6) playing games in front of moms and/or sharing the collegiate experience with moms did not appear to be a consideration for jayce

bottom line, jayce johnson is a developing 5 (not a 4 as mistakenly assumed by some misinformed bears fans) with a very high upside that did not perceive cal's returning 2 7'1" sophomores in kam & the king as a favorable playing time situation as utah with jakob poeltl definitely declaring for the nba draft after this season

the bears staff has worked valiantly & tirelessly to recruit bigs for the 2016 class but the reality is that with the futures of jaylen brown & ivan rabb unknown (they could potentially return to berkeley for the 2016/2017 season) coupled with the king & kam returning, signing with cal is not an attractive option for those prospects who don't got the 6 key characteristics listed above

forward & onward#
BearsObserver
Vance Jackson announcement ...

Shocky1
happy birthday, brandon

editor's note: brandon told me he "loves sinatra"...dude is an old spirit

cal family#
stu
Shocky1;842570488 said:

editor's note: brandon told me he "loves sinatra"...dude is an old spirit

That's even older than I am! Everyone agrees my spirit is no older than my body, but then I like Robert Johnson. Go figure.

#old
Shocky1
"the biggest room in the world is the room for improvement"

-jaylen brown, noted philosopher & life coach

First Page Last Page
Page 230 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.