cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,264,421 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BearGreg
Vineyardview
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shocky1

"Sami ...is a good student who [U]made the honor roll at barton cc [/U]last fall (major cultural change from aalborg & copenhagen to the corn fields of kansas)"

This statement may be misleading without our understanding and consideration of the Barton JC academic environment. The course work that Sami completed at the JC may, in fact, not have been challenging or similar to the typical college preparatory curriculum.
Shocky1
calumnus;842125127 said:

Much of our second half surge was attributable to going to more zone which would mitigate much of that issue.

Moreover, when Crabbe was on the bench (admittedly as little as possible) we would usually go with Cobbs, Smith and Wallace and not surprisingly have a lot of trouble scoring. In that situation, I thought Powers would generally have brought more to the table than Smith.

When Kreklow came back at the end of the season and into the postseason, Monty played him a lot (1st guard/forward off the bench) instead of Smith. Hindsight is 20/20 but I think Kreklow was still hurt and Powers would have been better able to deliver what I think Monty was hoping to get from Kreklow--some size and outside scoring.

In those 4 games Cal went 1-3. Kreklow's numbers:
vs. Stanford 13 min 0-3 for 0 Pts, 2 Reb, 2 PF, 1 Assist, 1 TO, 1 Steals
vs. Utah 18 min 2-4 for 6 Pts, 2 Reb, 3 PF, 2 TO
vs. UNLV 14 min 0-3 for 0 Pts, 1 Reb, 2 PF, 1 Assist, 3 TO
vs. Syracuse 21 min 0-3 for 0 Pts, 3 Reb, 4 PF, 2 Assist, 3 TO, 1 Steals

Totals over final 4 games after coming back from injury:
66 min 2-13 (15%) for 6 Pts, 8 Reb, 11 PF, 4 Assist, 9 TO, 2 Steals

Undoubtedly Kreklow is a better player than Powers when healthy, but I do think Powers really could have helped us by providing another outside shooter, and thought so especially in our 6 point loss to Syracuse. Obviously Powers is a limited player, but our choices were few. Kreklow (like Smith) lost confidence in his shot and stopped taking open shots, allowing the Syracuse zone to focus on stopping Crabbe and Cobbs.

mr cranky pants might even agree now that our night club hero jeff powers was underutilized last season

last season's scoring challenges at times (a pac 12 worst .302 3 pt %) can perhaps best be summarized by monty's comment:

"that's what we lacked, guys who could shoot the ball"

with bird, mathews & singer arriving in berkeley & hopefully a healthy kreklow & an improved t-wall & jp always looking for scoring opportuntites, the bears perimeter shooting should be significantly upgraded next season

jp=20/20 vision#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842125751 said:

tom, thx for posting the bay area map (unique format without any roads and/or landmarks, was it crafted by a san quentin lifer?) which conclusively proves that in regards to all matters of geography:

justin labagh>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>the shockster

clearly if one is putting out on the 330 yd risk/reward par 4 16th hole at harding park with cool pacific winds whipping off a choppy lake merced and then driving across the bay bridge with the top down to the top dog on the northside of campus for a tasty late afternoon lunch, then one is traveling "up there"

go rams

geography matters#

san francisco city college bb program=#1 winningest college bb program in the united states of america & its territories (denmark not included)

my daughters shay & taylor think this map is for pizza delivery zones

that means if you order a large pineapple & ham (extra tomatoes) in san leandro (which is apparently 4 times larger than san jose) there will be a $7.75 service charge* but if you order a medium seafood combo (extra anchovies & sardines + bonus mini bottle of scope) in el cerrito there will be only a $5.25 service charge*, right?

*local & states taxes along with gratuities not included...property damage caused by teenage delivery driver failure is the sole responsbility of the customer...customers should consult their physicians to make sure they are healthy enough to consume massive quantities of greasy pizza

maps are cool#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842126168 said:

my daughters shay & taylor think this map is for pizza delivery zones

that means if you order a large pineapple & ham (extra tomatoes) in san leandro (which is apparently 4 times larger than san jose) there will be a $7.75 service charge* but if you order a medium seafood combo (extra anchovies & sardines + bonus mini bottle of scope) in el cerrito there will be only a $5.25 service charge*, right?

*local & states taxes along with gratuities not included...property damage caused by teenage delivery driver failure is the sole responsbility of the customer...customers should consult their physicians to make sure they are healthy enough to consume massive quantities of greasy pizza

maps are cool#

shay & taylor (fashionistas with virtually no income...how does that work?...hmmmm) asked that i repost their feb 20th post that they wrote*

*except for dad telling them jabari's dad's name is carl & that the salesian pride bb hc is bill mellis

"carl jr's son mcdonalds all american #23 jabari bird scored 7 pts in a cameo commercial role as salesian (27-3) received a strong in and out game from five guys in supersizing the visiting by subway gateway (sf) 65-33 in wendy's nite cf north coast section playoffs...master chef hc bill mellis mixed all the right pride ingredients in leading his kitchen crew to a tasty victory over the nutritionally challenged gators...alice waters could not be reached for comment"

"go root beers"

summer school creative writing class with dad#
rust never sleeps#
Shocky1
Vineyardview;842125900 said:

Shocky1

"Sami ...is a good student who [U]made the honor roll at barton cc [/U]last fall (major cultural change from aalborg & copenhagen to the corn fields of kansas)"

This statement may be misleading without our understanding and consideration of the Barton JC academic environment. The course work that Sami completed at the JC may, in fact, not have been challenging or similar to the typical college preparatory curriculum.

justin labagh told me that elaraky is a "very good student"

as a former cal walk on who successfuly balanced school & athletics at the #1 public university in the world, labagh's evaluation can be extrapolated to the high confidence level conclusion that there is a .98675309 statistical probability that from a character & academics full needs assessment that sami isn't another deadend

furthermore, sami made the barton community college dean's list for the fall 2012 semester...to qualify for this honor, students must have been enrolled in a minimum of 12 credit hours and maintained a gpa of 3.5 to 4.0...there are 1800 full time students enrolled at barton cc of which 260 made the dean's list

no doubt waldo focused on academics (sami did not play bb last fall, therefore blueshirting the season) while at barton...let's face it, the reality of the situation is that there aren't any night clubs (or other distractions) in great bend, kansas that could be frequented by an entourage led by high volume scoring wingman jeff powers

great bend, kansas ain't the san francisco bay area

dust in the wind#
california dreamin#
represent the bay#
fly with the bird#
HoopDreams
The Shockster has done of admirable job of educating the/his youth on the ways to creatively spread Cal sports goodness into the universe (in a non-TheRise-like way)

Shocky1;842126241 said:

shay & taylor (fashionistas with virtually no income...how does that work?...hmmmm) asked that i repost their feb 20th post that they wrote*

*except for dad telling them jabari's dad's name is carl & that the salesian pride bb hc is bill mellis

"carl jr's son mcdonalds all american #23 jabari bird scored 7 pts in a cameo commercial role as salesian (27-3) received a strong in and out game from five guys in supersizing the visiting by subway gateway (sf) 65-33 in wendy's nite cf north coast section playoffs...master chef hc bill mellis mixed all the right pride ingredients in leading his kitchen crew to a tasty victory over the nutritionally challenged gators...alice waters could not be reached for comment"

"go root beers"

summer school creative writing class with dad#
rust never sleeps#
Shocky1
while there are not many nightclubs in kansas (unless you count the barn owned by old man saunders in manhattan that has squaredancing on friday nights), there are many outstanding golf courses in america's heartland:

the shockster's top 10 heartland courses:

1) sand hills (mullen, nebraska)-perfection...the best golf course built in the world during the last 100 years

2) ballyneal (holyoke, colorado)-walking only doak masterpiece thru the chop hills

3) prairie dunes (hutchinson, kansas)-a wee bit of scottish links...future host of the 2014 ncaa men's golf championship (go bears)

4) st louis (st louis, missouri)-very private raynor classic in tony west st louis

5) prairie club-dunes (valentine, nebraksa)-designed by my neighbor tom lehman on windswept links terrain near the snake river gulch

6) southern hills (tulsa, oklahoma)-clever routing maximizes the one hill in tulsa

7) colorado golf club (parker, colorado)-another coore & crenshaw minimalist masterpiece

8) oak tree (chmp) (edmond, oklahoma)-pete dye brute...home of several pga touring pros

9) flint hills (wichita, kansas)-fazio's shadow creek of the heartland

10t) dismal river-nicklaus (mullen, nebraska)-one of jack's best efforts with greensite sideboards & backboards offering lots of strategic options

10t)wildhorse (gothenburg, nebraska)-tremendous fun & the best value in the united states built by the c&c boyz without bill & ben

if new mexico is part of america's heartland (the shockster is clearly geographically challenged), then black mesa just outside of santa fe would be ranked #4...for around $50, you can play one of the most dramatic & thoughtful new designs in the world

please also note that castle pines in colorado is not included in this top 10 list as it along with congressional, baltusrol (lower) & muirfield village (saw urban meyer's truly ugly azz orange brick macmansion left of the 7th green the fri before the the buckeyes game and went over to his backyard and starting yelling "go bears" until my host, an osu grad & our caddie, encouraged me to return back to the green...probably not gonna be invited back to mv again) are among the most overrated courses in the united states
SFCityBear
Shocky,

I once knew a long-hitting engineer from England who was a member at Prairie Dunes in the '70s. He said there were five sets of tees, and the course played over 8,000 yards from the purple tees, which made it a real bear in the heavy winds that one might encounter. Ben Hogan played there a lot and he held the course record from those tees at 75, if I remember right. Nowadays, the internet information I found says the gold tees are 6,700 yards, and there is no mention of the purple tees. I wonder if they abandoned them?

SFCB
antipattern
So I jump ship in Hong Kong and make my way over to Tibet, and I get on as a looper at a course over in the Himalayas. A looper, you know, a caddy, a looper, a jock. So, I tell them I'm a pro jock, and who do you think they give me? The Dalai Lama himself! Twelfth son of the Lama. The flowing robes, the grace, bald... striking. So, I'm on the first tee with him. I give him the driver. He hauls off and whacks one -- big hitter, the Lama -- long, into a ten-thousand foot crevice, right at the base of this glacier. And do you know what the Lama says? "Gunga galunga" ... no wait, it was "na gunga galunga".

So we finish the eighteenth and he starts walking off like he's gonna stiff me! And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort?" And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that going for me, which is nice.
Shocky1
SFCityBear;842126786 said:

Shocky,

I once knew a long-hitting engineer from England who was a member at Prairie Dunes in the '70s. He said there were five sets of tees, and the course played over 8,000 yards from the purple tees, which made it a real bear in the heavy winds that one might encounter. Ben Hogan played there a lot and he held the course record from those tees at 75, if I remember right. Nowadays, the internet information I found says the gold tees are 6,700 yards, and there is no mention of the purple tees. I wonder if they abandoned them?

SFCB

sfcb, an integral part of the magic of playing prairie dunes is that after putting out on a green the next tee box is only a few steps away (the best courses in the world share this routing characteristic...as a former caddie at sfgc, i never ride in an evil golfcart prefering to enjoy the game the way it should be played, on foot)

with no gaps between holes, there is absolutely no room at prairie dunes for additional back tees to extend the yardage beyond 6,700...with howling heartland winds there is no need either for further back tees

my special day at prairie dunes included walking 36 holes with my bag over my shoulder only stopping for a quick cheeseburger & apple slices at lunch...with a late night flight out of wichita & a little time to kill i searched out the gm & director of golf (as a golf digest rating panelist i am comped at virtually every course in the world) to thank them for their wonderful hospitality and also to see if it would be ok for me to take a quick swim in the club's pool

but they were both gone for the day with only a couple of cars still left in the parking lot...the asst pro closing up told me that it would be fine to go swimming before driving back to wichita & gave me their biz cards so i could mail them handwritten thank you letters

so i went for a cool dip with the muggy summer heat drying me off quickly upon exiting the pool...upon returning to the clubhouse to change in the men's locker room i came upon 2 suntanned mid 20s girls making out on the bench by my travel bag...the brunette was topless & her blonde friend was naked...funny, but i can still remember how they were both still wearing sparkly forever 21 sandals (which i thought was odd considering their lack of other clothing) and that the brunette had large silver hoop earrings and the blonde a small gold navel ring

summer breezes#
Vineyardview
Shocky, Do you have any idea what courses and how many hours he completed at Barton to qualify for the honor roll?

Perhaps even more relevant and interesting to Cal fans is what courses will he need to complete successfully at SFCC in order to matriculate to Cal Berkeley.
Chapman_is_Gone
Shocky1;842126863 said:

sfcb, an integral part of the magic of playing prairie dunes is that after putting out on a green the next tee box is only a few steps away (the best courses in the world share this routing characteristic...as a former caddie at sfgc, i never ride in an evil golfcart prefering to enjoy the game the way it should be played, on foot)

with no gaps between holes, there is absolutely no room at prairie dunes for additional back tees to extend the yardage beyond 6,700...with howling heartland winds there is no need either for further back tees

my special day at prairie dunes included walking 36 holes with my bag over my shoulder only stopping for a quick cheeseburger & apple slices at lunch...with a late night flight out of wichita & a little time to kill i searched out the gm & director of golf (as a golf digest rating panelist i am comped at virtually every course in the world) to thank them for their wonderful hospitality and also to see if it would be ok for me to take a quick swim in the club's pool

but they were both gone for the day with only a couple of cars still left in the parking lot...the asst pro closing up told me that it would be fine to go swimming before driving back to wichita & gave me their biz cards so i could mail them handwritten thank you letters

so i went for a cool dip with the muggy summer heat drying me off quickly upon exiting the pool...upon returning to the clubhouse to change in the men's locker room i came upon 2 suntanned mid 20s girls making out on the bench by my travel bag...the brunette was topless & her blonde friend was naked...funny, but i can still remember how they were both still wearing sparkly forever 21 sandals (which i thought was odd considering their lack of other clothing) and that the brunette had large silver hoop earrings and the blonde a small gold navel ring

summer breezes#

Go on...Shocky! Don't stop there, keep telling the story...and type slower...
BC Calfan
After 824 posts the cal monster class thread is officially done.
south bender
BC Calfan;842126942 said:

I agree we can it, or change its title, to something to do with golf and vacations, etc.

Most posts, and certainly most of the long ones, have little to nothing to do with Cal hoops.

Go Bears!
Civil Bear
Once apon a time there used to be a locked thread feature and moderators at this site.
SFCityBear
antipattern;842126829 said:

So I jump ship in Hong Kong and make my way over to Tibet, and I get on as a looper at a course over in the Himalayas. A looper, you know, a caddy, a looper, a jock. So, I tell them I'm a pro jock, and who do you think they give me? The Dalai Lama himself! Twelfth son of the Lama. The flowing robes, the grace, bald... striking. So, I'm on the first tee with him. I give him the driver. He hauls off and whacks one -- big hitter, the Lama -- long, into a ten-thousand foot crevice, right at the base of this glacier. And do you know what the Lama says? "Gunga galunga" ... no wait, it was "na gunga galunga".

So we finish the eighteenth and he starts walking off like he's gonna stiff me! And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort?" And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

Anti Pattern,

Are you, in fact, Shivas Irons, from the book, "Golf in the Kingdom"?

SFCB
Shocky1
Chapman_is_Gone;842126933 said:

Go on...Shocky! Don't stop there, keep telling the story...and type slower...

hey chapman, when our paths cross make sure i also show you my phone photos from the monte carlo beach club (guests of the hotel de paris are provided access) on roquebrune-cap-martin on the cote d'azur too...

hopefully sb will appoint the following elite task force to evaluate cheerleading talent & conduct final selections for cal bb:

***monsiuer chapman-chairman
***jay gatsby
***jason kidd (200+m nba earnings)
***johnny montomery
***1947 (the shockster's wingman)
***the shockster
***jeff powers (night club hero/volume scorer)

summer breezes#
Shocky1
Vineyardview;842126881 said:

Shocky, Do you have any idea what courses and how many hours he completed at Barton to qualify for the honor roll?

Perhaps even more relevant and interesting to Cal fans is what courses will he need to complete successfully at SFCC in order to matriculate to Cal Berkeley.

hey viney, the questions really aren't whether sami is a good student or not (justin labagh has already answered that) but rather will eleraky arrive from denmark for ccsf summer school begining on june 10th and how quickly can he earn the necessary associate degree from sfcc

let's break it down:

admissions to cal per the ncaa ruling is an associate degree

an associate degree from ccsf requires 60 units

in order to make the barton cc dean's list, sami had to complete at least 12 units

therefore sami needs to complete as many as 48 and maybe as few as 45 units to graduate from ccsf

12 units is considered fulltime & 17 units is the maximum allowed at ccsf during the fall & spring semesters

6 units is considered fulltime & 7 units is the maximum allowed at sfcc during the summer session which beings june 10th thru july 26th

therefore, sami would need to take the max 7 units both this summer & next summer along with 16-17 units during the school year in order to arrive in berkeley for the fall of 2014

the other option would be for sami to play 2 years at ccsf and then transfer to berkeley for the summer of 2015

got it?
SFCityBear
Shocky1;842126863 said:

summer breezes#

Shocky,

I should have known that Brit was a lying son of a gun.

Looping at SFGC eh? Was the caddymaster at the time a guy named Jack?

When I was student at Cal, I used to sneak on SFGC at the second hole in the late afternoon. By the time I got to the 18th tee (if I hadn’t gotten tossed off the course), it was usually dark. I played the 18th and the 1st hole back to my car. I used to know a scratch player whose father was a member. One day a greenskeeper stopped me, and asked what I was doing playing alone. I said I had been playing with Dennis and his dad, but they left after nine holes, and told me I could keep playing. So the greenskeeper asked me, “Did Jack say it was OK?” I answered, “Jack said it was OK” and he let me continue playing.

I got a little bolder later on, just telling them right out “Jack said it was OK”. Once I brought my girlfriend out to walk around with me. She was wearing spike heels, and those runs for the bushes to avoid the greenskeeper were hard on her, so I didn’t bring her after that. I remember playing one hole near the Westlake border, when a half dozen cops ran out from the bushes onto the fairway, with guns drawn. I thought they were after me. They disappeared just as fast, in hot pursuit of some other criminal. I continued on.

Many years later, I fell in with some very fast company, some of the Bay Area’s best amateur players, and we played all over, a different course every day. One of their rules was that you must always pay a green fee. I never told them that I had snuck on darn near every country club in the Bay Area, and most of them in San Diego. I reformed right then, paying my green fee, and never snuck on a course again.

SFCB
Shocky1
BC Calfan;842126942 said:

agreed, the cal monster class thread is officially dumb

the bear would not die, the bear would not quit#
Shocky1
south bender;842126945 said:

I agree we can it, or change its title, to something to do with golf and vacations, etc.

Most posts, and certainly most of the long ones, have little to nothing to do with Cal hoops.

Go Bears!

southbender old sport, if only you could gaze across the bay and see the green light of the future of cal basketball...

boats against the current#
Shocky1
Civil Bear;842126961 said:

Once apon a time there used to be a locked thread feature and moderators at this site.

"whenever you feel like criticizing anyone...just remember that all the people in this world haven't had the advantages that you've had"

-jay gatsby

"what me worry???"

-the shockster
Shocky1
NYCGOBEARS;842125636 said:

Shockster, any prediction as to when Bird will be another Bear Pac 12 POY?

nyc, what school has dominated the pac 12 mvp player of the year award during the last 20 years with twice as many winners as the runner up school?

answer: the university of california, berkeley

1993/1994-jason kidd
1995/1996-shareef abdur-rahim
1996/1997-ed gray
2000/2001-sean lampley
2009/2010-jerome randle
2010/2011-derrick williams (arizona)
2011/2012-jorge gutierrez
2012/2013-alan crabbe
2013/2014-justin cobbs*
2014/2015-jabari bird**
2015/2016-co mvps jabari bird & ivan rabb

*please note that this award is contingent upon jc developing a dedicated yoga practice this summer to eliminate his obvious angst and become better balanced both physically & mentally (like the shockster) with less of a perpetual pissed off/constipated demeanor

**please note that this award is contingent upon jb's continued development in creating his own shot & not taking off plays along with the necessary s&c good muscle/weight gains

the university of california, berkelely=#1 ranked public university in the world
Shocky1
SFCityBear;842127087 said:

Anti Pattern,

Are you, in fact, Shivas Irons, from the book, "Golf in the Kingdom"?

SFCB

well played, ap
petalumabear
antipattern;842126829 said:

Best Post in months by anyone on BI.... perfectly dropped antipattern....
SFCityBear
Shocky1;842127097 said:

hey viney, the questions really aren't whether sami is a good student or not (justin labagh has already answered that) but rather will elaraky arrive from denmark for sfcc summer school begining on june 10th and how quickly can he earn the necessary associate degree from sfcc

let's break it down:

admissions to cal per the ncaa ruling is an associate degree

an associate degree from sfcc requires 60 units

in order to make the barton cc dean's list, sami had to complete at least 12 units

therefore sami needs to complete as many as 48 and maybe as few as 45 units to graduate from sfcc

12 units is considered fulltime & 17 units is the maximum allowed at sfcc during the fall & spring semesters

6 units is considered fulltime & 7 units is the maximum allowed at sfcc during the summer session which beings june 10th thru july 26th

therefore, sami would need to take the max 7 units both this summer & next summer along with 16-17 units during the school year in order to arrive in berkeley for the fall of 2014

the other option would be for sami to play 2 years at sfcc and then transfer to berkeley for the summer of 2015

got it?

Maybe I missed it, but is Sami going to also play basketball at CCSF this coming season, or just attend classes?
stu
Shocky1;842127097 said:

therefore sami needs to complete as many as 48 and maybe as few as 45 units to graduate from sfcc

Sorry if I missed this somewhere, but did Sami attend Barton for just a single semester?
antipattern
stu;842127266 said:

Sorry if I missed this somewhere, but did Sami attend Barton for just a single semester?

Yes, he left after one semester, presumably going back to Denmark. His reasons for doing so are totally unknown.

SFCityBear;842127229 said:

Maybe I missed it, but is Sami going to also play basketball at CCSF this coming season, or just attend classes?

I think he effectively redshirted last year, so I assume he's playing. Also, if he's not going to play, then why does their basketball coach know so much about him? Pretty creepy if that's the case.

He has a lot of school to get through in a short time, especially for some one also playing a sport. I'd guess the chances of him being here for the start of the 2014/2015 season are pretty remote.
petalumabear
antipattern;842127278 said:

Yes, he left after one semester, presumably going back to Denmark. His reasons for doing so are totally unknown.

I think he effectively redshirted last year, so I assume he's playing.

i believe the answers to the questions above are:
[LIST=1]
  • He took units that would allow this school year to count as a redshirt year.
  • He is playing this year with plans to come to Cal in the fall of 2014.

Shocky can fix wherever I'm incorrect...
  • Vineyardview
    The question is why did Sami only attempt and complete one semester of work at Barton. We are asked to believe that from the outset it was Sami's objective to earn enough JC class credits to satisfy the NCAA entrance requirement.

This path should have been clear to him and his advisors. If he needed to complete an associate degree which requires 60 units it would seem obvious that Sami should have remained at Barton and completed another semester.

Did he as speculated return to Denmark instead of completing another 12 hours of course work at a qualified institution. Now it seems that his academic load is 45- 48 units.

This requirement seems like it may be more than he should be expected to complete for inclusion in the 2014-2015 recruiting class.
    Shockster,

me thinks you should run for president.
    dan1997
    This thread is too long, over 100,000 views ... unreal...
    HoopDreams
    I'm not sure I've seen this video before, although it was posted in 2012, but I'm not sure why I've seen comments about his shooting. To me, he's got a pure shot. He also can drive either direction, can lay score with either hand, and even finish in traffic. It doesn't show his lateral quickness on defense, but does show he can anticipate passes.

Some of the highlights show him play against obviously inferior competition, but others show him play against athletes of similar or bigger size. Maybe those team's had poor defense (e.g. poor help defense), but my point is he didn't look out classed athletically.

Of course it's a highlight film, but then he also has an additional season experience since the video was taken.

HoopDreams
    it seems like everyone talks about Cal signing Rooks over AZ who planned to redshirt him. However he was also offered by Washington and ASU. Cal got a big center, with long arms, and a high hoops IQ with NBA genes.

New highlight video, including their championship win. He's double and triple teamed most of the time, and although he looks small defending Rooks, one of the defenders was 6-9

sluggo_Cal
    HoopDreams;842127516 said:

I'm not sure I've seen this video before, although it was posted in 2012, but I'm not sure why I've seen comments about his shooting. To me, he's got a pure shot. He also can drive either direction, can lay score with either hand, and even finish in traffic. It doesn't show his lateral quickness on defense, but does show he can anticipate passes.

Some of the highlights show him play against obviously inferior competition, but others show him play against athletes of similar or bigger size. Maybe those team's had poor defense (e.g. poor help defense), but my point is he didn't look out classed athletically.

Of course it's a highlight film, but then he also has an additional season experience since the video was taken.

Those are old highlights from his junior year. I have seen them more times than I would admit on a public forum. But I found new ones from his senior year: He looks noticeably bigger and more athletic than his junior year. His skills are still off the charts. He can shoot not only off the catch but after taking had dribbles in either direction. Combine that with his killer crossover and he won't be stopped.

I can't think rationally about him any more. I am tempted to say that I think, in the long run, he will be the best member of the 2013 entering class. But that is ridiculous considering Bird's ranking, right? I will say I can't wait for the season to start.

Sluggo
    First Page Last Page
    Page 24 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.