cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,264,355 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BearGreg
LOUMFSG2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jeff82;842620989 said:

Agreed. While it may be true that Monty wins that game with these players, Monty doesn't get these players as a coach. And this game, with the type of players Monty recruited, is a 15-20 point loss, because we probably get athleticked right off the court. I'm much more optimistic having a coach that can recruit, and is still finding his way on Xs and Os, than a coach who knows what to do at the blackboard, but can't get the guys he needs to come and play for him.

How can you say that when most of the players wearing blue and gold last night were actually recruited by Monty?

I actually really wish people would stop with the "Monty would've won this game" threads, because who cares, the man is RETIRED. He is no longer our coach, Coach Martin is, and while things are a work in progress, there is reason for optimism going forward.

But the continual blaming of Monty for past recruiting misses is ridiculous. Despite his limitations as a recruiter, at the end of his term at Cal he actually recruited some really good players, many of whom are key components of this year's team, and are great athletes in their own right. Monty did not leave a perfect roster with no holes, but he did not leave a sub-par roster in any way, shape or form either. Go back and read any article written about college coaching hires when Cuonzo was hired. ESPN, CBS and others had articles about which coaches had a difficult road, and which coaches were poised for immediate success based on the situation they inherited, and Cuonzo was always listed as one poised for immediate success because of the favorable situation he inherited.

In fact, if you go back and read Cuonzo's own comments around the time he was hired, one of the things that drew him to Cal was the quality of the players on the roster, and the opportunity to build on the successes achieved under Monty, and win right away. Cuonzo had options, and he chose to come to Cal. Without Monty, Cuonzo may not be our coach.

And I think people also under-appreciate the role that Monty's recruits played in the ability for Cal to land Rabb and Brown. I want to first say that I think Cuonzo is a tremendous recruiter. He does a phenomenal job developing relationships, not only with players and the families, but with high school and AAU coaches as well. He hired a terrific staff, particularly in the area of recruiting. They all work incredibly hard, and they are not afraid to compete for any recruit they believe would be a good fit for the their program. They deserve ALL of the accolades they have received for their recruiting efforts. But those things alone don't guarantee recruiting success. Great players want to play on a team with other great players, and on a team that they believe can win. And the opportunity to play on a team that was at least in contention for an NCAA bid for six straight years (with 4 NCAA bids and 2 NIT bids), and with players like Wallace, Bird and Mathews, was important. At the end of the day, no matter how good a coach is at selling, Rabb and Brown also had options, and they don't wind up here unless they thought they could win.

I don't know, I kind of don't want to get into a discussion of what Monty could have done had he decided to coach longer, because he didn't, he chose retirement. I guess I'll just say that I disagree strongly with the contention of many that he was only capable of bubble teams that couldn't advance in the NCAA tournament, given his track record before arriving in Berkeley. I don't know if people don't remember or understand what he did at Stanfurd, but he inherited a situation where recruiting for Basketball was at a distinct disadvantage, and it was difficult to recruit teams that could be competitive, much less challenge for championships, when he arrived in Palo Alto. And he was unable to turn it around overnight. But over time, through his consistent ability to win basketball games, he made Stanfurd a viable option for better basketball players, and the recruiting results followed. He took Stanfurd from being one of the worst power conference programs to one of the truly elite programs in all of college basketball. In fact, they still benefit from the brand equity built by Monty today, although thankfully, Dawkins is doing his best to try to change that.

I am all for getting behind Cuonzo, because while he may not be perfect, he is a good coach, and I do believe this team can still accomplish some great things this season and beyond. He took a much less talented team than this one to the Sweet 16 at UT, even though that team struggled during the regular season as well. In both his previous stops, although initial success was limited, he improved each year. Don't dwell on the imperfections, but look at and evaluate the overall results. And the same should be true regarding Monty's legacy. Instead of dwelling on the imperfections of his recruiting, look at the overall contributions of Monty's players to this teams' success. They may not be perfect, but his net contribution to this team was a positive one.
Shocky1
lou, post of the year, moneyball

mike montgomery put out the ben braun academic dumpster fire & built a strong foundation with high character true student athletes into a stable program that had probably plateaud, coach martin offers us the opportunity to take the next couple of steps forwards towards becoming an elite championship program

love both of them guys
Jeff82
I should have been more specific. I don't think Mike Montgomery would have successfully recruited Ivan Rabb or Jaylen Brown, and I think had he remained and not gotten them, chances are good that Wallace might have declared early for the draft. I also credit Monty for developing the foundation that Martin is building upon, but I also think his approach, and in particular his distaste for dealing with the AAU system, had taken the program as far as it was going to go. The upside potential with Martin as coach is much greater. Is he as good a tactician as Monty. Probably not. But as I said, I think the likelihood of him growing into that aspect of coaching is greater than Montgomery changing his approach to recruiting. My evidence in terms of Monty is our inability to get Marcus Lee, and the fact that we whiffed on Kyle Wiltjer twice, once in his initial commitment to Kentucky, and again on the transfer to Gonzaga
LOUMFSG2
socaltownie;842621065 said:

...You PROBABLY don't have Wallace who enters early...

Wallace chose to come back and get his degree. Why would that have been different under Monty?

Plus, you are forgetting Rorie, Diallo and Poeltl ;-)
OdontoBear66
I loved MM, his coaching style, his interviews, and the fact that he was at Cal when he was. His in game insightfulness was excellent. But with that said I felt he had struck a ceiling, was lacking in youthful energy, and was not firing on all cylinders as to what the program needed. That limited what I saw as any upside potential. He was squeezing every ounce of everything out of the players he had, but you weren't about to see the Ivan Rabbs and Jaylen Browns in a Cal uniform. Maybe every once in a while but MM was not a recruiting machine. His teams were destined to vacillate between ten and twenty wins. I think Jeff82 outlined this pretty spot on in his post above.

With the change to Cuonzo we have a coach who has shown he can take talent pretty far as he did at Tennessee. We have seen he can recruit talent as he has at Cal so far. We have also seen, or at least many perceive, that he does not have game day adjustments down just yet; he does not have offensive schemes that excite or exude great strategy. But he does have passion. He does have youth. He has surrounded himself with good people. And because of that I think his upside is quite good. The learning curve is not where MM's was after years of coaching. But that can build.

So my assessment that is all told we are better off with CM than we would be if we still had MM. Does not mean both are not very good coaches, just different styles, but where MM had ceilinged out, I think CM has unlimited upside.
LOUMFSG2
Jeff82;842621125 said:

...but I also think his approach, and in particular his distaste for dealing with the AAU system, had taken the program as far as it was going to go...

I know this notion that Monty had "taken the program as far as it was going to go" is pretty common, but I guess I don't understand it, given his track record at Stanfurd. With most coaches, you'd have to guess what might happen if a guy were to stay at the same school for 18 years, but with Monty, you at least have an example. You could easily say that after 6 seasons on the Farm, he'd taken that program as far as it was going to go. In fact, after his seventh season, you could have argued that not only had it plateaued, it had fallen off the cliff (Monty went 7-23 overall, and 2-16 in conference year 7). But despite that one bad season (his only losing season in 32 years as a coach), he proceeded to take Stanfurd on an epic run. And I think he had just as much distaste for the AAU system, was just as smug (or if anything, more smug) back then as he is now. But "if you win, they will come".

His first 6 seasons at Cal were more successful than his early years at Stanfurd. And I would say that his recruiting at Cal was on an upward trend when he retired. He followed his recruitment of Wallace with the Bird/Mathews/Singer/Rooks/Moute class, and then potentially following that up with a class of Rorie/Diallo/Poeltl. And I know some people seem to not want to believe that Monty (and his staff) landed Poeltl, and his coming to Cal was by no means a certainty. But I've spoken to folks to claim to know, and it sure seems like our staff believed he was coming.

And in some ways, that's all it takes for a guy like Monty. I had no idea back then how good Poeltl was going to turn out, but now that I've seen him for a year-plus, adding Poeltl to a core of Wallace/Mathews/Bird/Kravish could have led to a Sweet 16 run (or maybe more) last year under Monty. And while I see no reason to believe that Monty would have even gone after Brown, much less landed him, Rabb is a murkier question. Rabb made it pretty clear that a head coach "showing love" was pretty important to him, and it's hard to imagine Monty scoring well on that front. But to me, it also seems like at least a part of Rabb wanted to stay local. Maybe if Poeltl had come, and the team enjoyed a nice post-season run, he'd have found a way to justify it, despite Monty's shortcomings.

Anyway, he is here with Martin, and Brown too, and I'm gonna try to enjoy it while I can
LOUMFSG2
OdontoBear66;842621136 said:

His teams were destined to vacillate between ten and twenty wins.

He exceeded 20 wins in 5 of his 6 seasons at CAL, not to mention multiple 30-win seasons at Stanfurd. I don't get it . . .
mikecohen
Jeff82;842620966 said:

People are just looking for excuses to tear down the coach. I don't get it. This effort was light years ahead of where we were in Vegas, and in a far more hostile environment. It's something to build on going into conference. Win Monday, go 12-6 in conference, and we will very likely finally get off the 8-9 "seed of death."

Of all the light years and big rooms for improvement, although everybody out there manifested it, the almost shockingly big strides were Kameron's, almost to the point of suggesting an actual force to be reckoned with by the last part of the season (let alone the next TWO years).
CalEnviroLaw
LOUMFSG2;842621149 said:

He exceeded 20 wins in 5 of his 6 seasons at CAL, not to mention multiple 30-win seasons at Stanfurd. I don't get it . . .

I like Monty. He was a great coach. But we now have 2 NBA lottery picks on our team. We have not had that since Kidd and Murray. By the end of the year, or next year if they stay, these players are going to win some games for us, no matter who is coaching. Given the choice, I would rather have the players who will win some games for us, no matter who we are playing.
mikecohen
socaltownie;842621005 said:

+1. Plus i am totally not convinced that martin is challenged with xs and os. Right now the rule change/area of emphasis is a big problem for the way this year's bears currently are built.

A) there is such an advantage of having a micro guard who can both quickly defend at the point of attack and drive. We are playing without one. Scary to think what randle could do without any hand checking.

B) last night was a very important game for brown. Not only leading the way in scoring but it is starting to click. Balis was wrong about one call (where brown just barrel to the rim). If he is going to shoot fts the way he did last night every break and secondary break i want jaylen taking it hard to the hole. He will darw fould on guys like no tomorrow. I think what he is finding out is that he can't just lower shoulder but he has the tools to make just a bit of a fake and avoid the charge/draw the block.

C) rabb is finding out his role. This year he isn't a post guy (sorry shock). Oh we should try that but he isn't strong enough to go down and just plant himself at the block. What he is amazing at is rebounding. -- also: Passing - ball handling - general court sense -- although he hasn't progressed yet to be a real point forward, and being able to shape the floor with his vision to create the offense at the moment (which i think is a possibility for him), he is, at this point, at least always to be trusted with the ball in his hands - nothing bad is going to happen, and good things are more possible (although, almost ot, that post move by matthews was close to beyond the believable.

D) rabb and rooks both need to work on screening bird and mathews. Over time that is going to be important.

Would have rather had a w but again, monty loses by 20 against those guys without any answer to their better athletes.

see above interstitial comment in caps
OdontoBear66
LOUMFSG2;842621149 said:

"Were destined" was meant to imply future for me. Do not get me wrong, I liked MM at 'furd (saw him speak at the Palo Alto Club a couple of times), and at Cal. My commentary was not meant at all to bad mouth him, but after a guaranteed lifestyle at 'furd for so many years, he went for the big NBA contract with GS, and was set for life. He did a great job at Cal, but I can't imagine the talent base would be what it is now here were he still the coach. The energy level, I believe by his own admission was waning. The future looks brighter as it is---no ill will implied to MM.
NVBear78
OdontoBear66;842621136 said:

I loved MM, his coaching style, his interviews, and the fact that he was at Cal when he was. His in game insightfulness was excellent. But with that said I felt he had struck a ceiling, was lacking in youthful energy, and was not firing on all cylinders as to what the program needed. That limited what I saw as any upside potential. He was squeezing every ounce of everything out of the players he had, but you weren't about to see the Ivan Rabbs and Jaylen Browns in a Cal uniform. Maybe every once in a while but MM was not a recruiting machine. His teams were destined to vacillate between ten and twenty wins. I think Jeff82 outlined this pretty spot on in his post above.

With the change to Cuonzo we have a coach who has shown he can take talent pretty far as he did at Tennessee. We have seen he can recruit talent as he has at Cal so far. We have also seen, or at least many perceive, that he does not have game day adjustments down just yet; he does not have offensive schemes that excite or exude great strategy. But he does have passion. He does have youth. He has surrounded himself with good people. And because of that I think his upside is quite good. The learning curve is not where MM's was after years of coaching. But that can build.

So my assessment that is all told we are better off with CM than we would be if we still had MM. Does not mean both are not very good coaches, just different styles, but where MM had ceilinged out, I think CM has unlimited upside.

Spot on
mikecohen
LOUMFSG2;842621145 said:

I know this notion that Monty had "taken the program as far as it was going to go" is pretty common, but I guess I don't understand it, given his track record at Stanfurd. With most coaches, you'd have to guess what might happen if a guy were to stay at the same school for 18 years, but with Monty, you at least have an example. You could easily say that after 6 seasons on the Farm, he'd taken that program as far as it was going to go. In fact, after his seventh season, you could have argued that not only had it plateaued, it had fallen off the cliff (Monty went 7-23 overall, and 2-16 in conference year 7). But despite that one bad season (his only losing season in 32 years as a coach), he proceeded to take Stanfurd on an epic run. And I think he had just as much distaste for the AAU system, was just as smug (or if anything, more smug) back then as he is now. But "if you win, they will come".

His first 6 seasons at Cal were more successful than his early years at Stanfurd. And I would say that his recruiting at Cal was on an upward trend when he retired. He followed his recruitment of Wallace with the Bird/Mathews/Singer/Rooks/Moute class, and then potentially following that up with a class of Rorie/Diallo/Poeltl. And I know some people seem to not want to believe that Monty (and his staff) landed Poeltl, and his coming to Cal was by no means a certainty. But I've spoken to folks to claim to know, and it sure seems like our staff believed he was coming.

And in some ways, that's all it takes for a guy like Monty. I had no idea back then how good Poeltl was going to turn out, but now that I've seen him for a year-plus, adding Poeltl to a core of Wallace/Mathews/Bird/Kravish could have led to a Sweet 16 run (or maybe more) last year under Monty. And while I see no reason to believe that Monty would have even gone after Brown, much less landed him, Rabb is a murkier question. Rabb made it pretty clear that a head coach "showing love" was pretty important to him, and it's hard to imagine Monty scoring well on that front. But to me, it also seems like at least a part of Rabb wanted to stay local. Maybe if Poeltl had come, and the team enjoyed a nice post-season run, he'd have found a way to justify it, despite Monty's shortcomings.

Anyway, he is here with Martin, and Brown too, and I'm gonna try to enjoy it while I can

A particularly interesting question (about whether Ivan would have come here if Poeltl had been here) because Poeltl, it turns out, is a very accomplished post - freeing Ivan to develop his natural "4" position.
OdontoBear66
mikecohen;842621208 said:

A particularly interesting question (about whether Ivan would have come here if Poeltl had been here) because Poeltl, it turns out, is a very accomplished post - freeing Ivan to develop his natural "4" position.

+1.... And this post is spot on....Hard to even try to imagine Ivan Rabb with an excellent 5.....OMG.....
petalumabear
OdontoBear66;842621269 said:

+1.... And this post is spot on....Hard to even try to imagine Ivan Rabb with an excellent 5.....OMG.....

Caleb Swanigan. Woulda, coulda ... Shoulda except for his adoptive fathers control. Actually, this was the first thing I thought about last night. I liked Kam's efforts last night and am equally confused by all the PT that the King received. I am still perplexed by those who wanted/expected that King would play ahead of Kam.

But the issue at hand is had we been able to land Caleb, we would have owned the paint last night. Alas, What could have been.
HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]waiting in the wings...[/SIZE]

Shocky1
HoopDreams;842620862 said:

[SIZE=5]against the best team Cal has played this year, [COLOR="#0000CD"]Jaylen Brown[/COLOR] played his best game as a Golden Bear scoring 18 points, including attacking the basket and 8 or 9 free throws + 6 tough rebounds

but Jaylen knows what's truly important in life ...[/SIZE]

little miss pink in sunshine is an absolute rainbow of energy, she's got almost as much hyperactivity as the shockster...kinda wished jaylen played d with her enthusiasm level

also got to meet brandon chauca's little sis breana with the the big smile, told her we were both mutts & also sam singer's older sis emily who was rockin' the stylish black boots

cal family#
Shocky1
mikecohen;842621208 said:

as the biggest supporter of mike montgomery & travis decuire, i can tell you with absolute certainty that ivan rabb (and hence jaylen brown too) would not have arrived in berkeley without coach martin, that ship would've sailed into the night (tucson)

without the infusion of energy & talent by coach martin & his hard working staff, the bears would have been overwhelmed athletically last nite & lost by 25+ points
Shocky1
colorado (11-2) loses only its 2nd game of the preseason 70-66 to the cheatin' #18 ranked smu mustangs at the weird azz orleans arena in las vegas
Shocky1
http://nowthatscollege.com/top-5-us-colleges-with-the-highest-std-rates/

arizona state university=#1 ranked college for strippers in the united states
Steam67
socaltownie;842621011 said:

Was a HORRIBLE call. Not sure it mattered but it was a horrible call. Yes, the ref totally blew it.[/QUOTE

That call was a makeup call for one they missed just before. I was pretty hot about it at the time, but overall, the calls were actually pretty balanced. I can tell you that the UVA fans for sure thought the refs were keeping US in the game. I guess it depends on your perspective, but they were absolutely howling at a few questionable calls that went against UVA.
BearsObserver

http://247sports.com/Player/PJ-Washington-38650
HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]Rabb![/SIZE]

Shocky1
[video=youtube;gunuRcWWlRM][/video]

oaktown#
HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]http://www.calbears.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?id=4839698

Merry Christmas

[/SIZE]

Shocky1
felices fiestas por la familia de el shocko

don't be a dumb azz#
Shocky1
oscar frayer's final 4 are st marys, nevada, oregon state & grand canyon
Shocky1
2017 point guard jade smith scored 14 points in navigating the st joesph notre dame pilots (8-1) down the runway 52-16 vs an overmatched westmoor (daly city) rams but got bitten 71-59 by the oakland tech bulldogs in the legends classic at haas pavilion

bay area's finest#
Shocky1
dejan vasiljevic down to miami & stanford

the cal staff evaluation was that dejan is more of a 2 than a 1 which is the current priority which resulted in both parties heading in different directions
BearsObserver
I thought that's what people said about Tyrone. ;-)

Shocky1;842621548 said:

dejan vasiljevic down to miami & stanford

the cal staff evaluation was that dejan is more of a 2 than a 1 which is the current priority which resulted in both parties heading in different directions
Shocky1
BearBackerinLA;842621549 said:

I thought that's what people said about Tyrone. ;-)

t-wall's professional future in basketball is predicated upon him playing the 1 (he's not an elite enough outside shooter to play the 2) & facilitating his teammates (that didn't happen in virginia)...his length & ability to finish with either hand is attractive to some nba teams

expect tyrone to bounce back with improved lob passes, drop passes, bounce passes & girlfriend passes to miss alcantar (a curvy brunette yoga female) along with pushing tempo on the break vs davidon on monday december 28th vs davidson at haas pavillion
BearsObserver
Dejan probably thinks he has a better NBA future as a 1 than a 2 and that's why he will only consider schools that let him play as scoring PG a la T-Wall. Dejan only needs to look to someone like a JJ Redick as a successful example of a SG in the NBA. about the same size and height. If Dejan doesn't insist on playing as a 1, I think we would have been in play for him.
concordtom
Shocky1;842621477 said:

oscar frayer's final 4 are st marys, nevada, oregon state & grand canyon

wow.
wasn't he a top 50 or 75 at one point?
I had fallen in love, but I guess it wasn't meant to be.
Best of luck Oscar.
Shocky1
top 5 player in the 2018 class 6'10" jordan brown scored 23 points as the woodcreek timberwolves (roseville) got fireaballed 79-65 by the sacramento dragons...former sacramento high school & cal grad kevin johnson (net worth $10m+) sat courtside at the coppin state game with his wife michelle rhee (master's degree in public policy from harvard)...kj is currently the mayor of sacramento & i spoke to both of them re: their california charter school initiatives...yeah, with a cal degree you can pretty much do anything you wanna do in life, you are only limited by your imagination & ambition

while shooting around on newell court after basketball practice & before an afternoon football game at memorial stadium this fall, brown's coach introduced himself to me (he played ball at byu back in the day) & he told me that jordan is very respectful/high character, his parents love cheering at all his games & that it would be unlikely at the end of the day that he would sign with an academically mediocre school

yeah, with a 3.8 gpa jordan is the ideal foundation for cal's started at the bottom class (2018)

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (and only a short drive for moms on gamedays)
HoopDreams
First Page Last Page
Page 258 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.