cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,255,999 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BearGreg
HoopDreams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
so true...

mikecohen;842631190 said:

FWIW [and I don't count my basketball knowledge and insight very high]: It seems to me that some of our team's most successful moments have come with pull-up mid-range jumpers, which Jabari is particularly suited for because of his world-beating hops. In a reversal of roles kind of way, it seems to me that going for and establishing that from the get-go could make it easier to thrive by the drive, because the main detriment to that for all of the guys on our team who are capable of living by it (including also Jaylen, Singer, Wallace and Mathews) is the finishing at the rim is becoming particularly difficult, all around, as of late, because of the development of posse defense at the rim (which, by the way, we could have benefitted from more than we did in the last game), and the realistic threat of a quasi-automatic two from a short-range jumper could maybe make it significantly harder for that posse to form.

Shocky1
Shocky1;842626709 said:

what a lob pass looks like to t-wall

what a lob pass looks like to young ivee

in the 2nd half young ivee is flashing towards the basket with his fingers/hand pointing upwards

t-wall got the ball & starts working thru his mental progressions:

1) what does this mean?...does ivan love astronomy 10?
2) is ivan pointing at uranus?
3) wait, does shocky want me to lob the ball to ivan?

so t-wall effortlessly lobs the ball to young ivee for a richter scale 6.9 california earthquake & haas pavilion goes bat****

sign language matters#

there were several times last nite in eugene that young ivee pointed his fingers/hand upwards & his teammates did not deliver the rock...rabb told guys this as they left the court during timeouts but nobody is apparently listening to ivan & the shockster

ivan, i feel your pain, nobody cares about your problems more than me:headbang...i dunno maybe coach martin & the staff could arrange for the squad to visit today with an american sign language (asl) teacher

if the bears don't get this **** figured out real quick i'm gonna grab a seat on the bench saturday nite in corvallis & make sure these ******* communication issues get resolved, ok?

non verbal cues matter#

oregon state feeding ivan rabb report card: failing grade (again)

young ivee with 2-4 fgs vs the beavers & that includes offensive rebounding putbacks

clearly something is being lost in translation (our coaches need to find solutions...now)

Jeff82
concordtom;842629579 said:

Remind me again, how many games away was Kentucky from going undefeated as champs last year?
How many games had the won before losing?
This Indiana team was 32-0? What was Kentucky before they lost?

The concentration only gets greater, I think.
I think it's not that big a problem to get done with a recruiter like Coach Cal, or Coach K. The top players routinely go to the top programs. Talent attracts talent, and with the internet and social media, everyone know who is who and where they are heading.

Two games short. I believe they lost in the regional final. The season was much shorter when Indiana did it. They won nine OOC games, 18 conference games and five games in the tournament. The season then didn't start until about Thanksgiving. Just the slog of the season being so much longer works against a team going undefeated, in my opinion. You're on record disagreeing with me.
BearsObserver
Shocky1
the following are excerpts from the cal sports quarterly article "fulfilling a promise" by jonathan okanes re: t-wall

"michele johnson is so excited to see her son graduate from college that she is already picking out her wardrobe seven months in advance

johnson's son is cal star basketball player tyrone wallace, who will graduate this spring, with a degree in social welfare...wallace is the first member of the family to earn a college degree, and is doing so after turning down a chance to leave cal early for the nba draft over the summer

"i'm already thinking about what i am going to wear," johnson said, "i'm obviously going to wear cal colors...i am going to be so emotional"...you are going to see tears on my face...i am so happy for him"

while he has been emerging as a standout player on the court, wallace has been diligent in the classroom, as well...much of the dedication to his studies comes from the influence of his grandfather, charles johnson, who served as a father figure while wallace was growing up in bakersfield

"he was always like a father," wallace said..."we would always have conversations about the importance of getting the degree...he always told me that one day basketball is going to stop and what am i going to do after that"

johnson passed away last summer, making wallace's pledge even more important to him

"i told him i would finish," wallace said..."it was important for him that i get my degree...he always talked about education...he helped me a lot growing up...i would call him up and he would come over...education is just something that we always talked about"

"he was very close to my dad," michelle johnson said..."the one thing my father said before he passed away was that he wanted tyrone to get that degree...it's just a joy to see tyrone doing that...i know my father is still looking over him...if he was here right now, he'd be telling tyrone how proud he is of him"

acknowledging he has someone keeping him on the right path, wallace now serves in that role for his younger siblings...his younger sister, diamond, is a senior in high school and plans on going to college in the fall...his younger brother, da'zion, is in eight grade and playing basketball

"i want to be an example to my family, to show them i might be good at basketball but the academics are just as important," wallace said

wallace said he regularly check in with diamond and da'zion to see what classes they are taking and make sure they are taking care of business in the classroom

"he wants his brother and sister to follow in his footsteps, so he's setting that example," michelle johnson said..."my daughter will call him for help with her homework...they both want to follow in his footsteps and he's setting an example for them"

*************************************************************************************************

i get it, most cal fans are consumed with wins & losses...but for me the magic of cal basketball are the very special young men on this basketball team & their stories, each one is unique in their dreams for the future

t-wall, you will always be one of my favorites ever and it's not just because you got that curvy brunette yoga girlfriend ms alacantar...my respect for you extends far beyond anything you've ever done with a basketball on a basketball court during a basketball game

this is all about a moment of love, let's storm the floor again, ok?

this is cal basketball#
Shocky1
tyson jolly is being coached up both academically & athletically at the elev8 sports institute in delray beach, florida

the cal staff is building strong relationships with elev8, would not be surprised if alec hickman (2017 cal commit) attends the prep school

[URL] http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/palm-beach/delray-beach/fl-delray-basketball-player-20151109-story.html[/URL]
Shocky1
bears back at practice this afternoon:

coach martin: look guys, shocky says we have to improve our interior passing particularly lob passes to ivan

sammy: what's a lob pass?

marcus: let's be real here, i can pass better than any of you clowns

jaylen: yoga has made me into a super hero, i can dribble thru 3 guys...kabaam

young ivee: if you're such a super hero with special powers, how come you can't ever pass to me on the basketball court?

t-wall: i like dribbling, it's fun

coach webster (rolling his eyes): tyrone, we're gonna have to talk about that

kam (to the king): how come you talk with such a funny accent?

roger: kam, do you even own a passport?

roman: i can speak australian

king: my brother is a body builder and used to date princess di

brandon: king, how come there aren't any filipinos in england?

marco: is england in west st louis?

coach jones: are we gonna eat big macs after practice?

coach nicodemus: no chance, big guy, i've got some juiced carrot high protein meatloaf on the menu with parsley for desert, so tasty

jabari: i like popcorn

dwight: i miss the country fried steak at shoneys

brenden: we should eat at b patisserie for a change

mitch: is that in san francisco?

nick hamilton: i'm gonna shave after practice and read 3 really long books that don't have any pictures in them

cole: ok, but quit using my surf board as a shaving tray, that's nasty

nick kerr: hygiene is very important, that's why i like wearing plaid

stephen: that makes no sense at all, you sound like shocky

oski: don't be a dumb azz

jordan: i hate it when i cry like a little girl during games because things aren't going my way and shocky calls me miss creasy

coach hufngael (talking on his phone): can you guys just shut up a little, i'm trying to talk to a 6th grader in gardena with a solid mid range game and all a's on his last report card except for handwriting

this is cal basketball#
Shocky1
did you know that ivan rabb is one of the nation's leading field goal percentage shooters at 64.1%?

feed young ivee (now)#
HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]did you know that Jaylen Brown was the President of his High School Chess club?[/SIZE]

Shocky1
did you know that dana altman is a criminal?
brawlinho
Shocky1;842632073 said:

did you know that dana altman is a criminal?

Someone told me to check out a documentary on Netflix "making of a murderer", I thought for sure it was about the Oregon Basketball program, much to my suprise it was about some dude who might or not have gotten framed
Shocky1
did you know that tuscon is a dump?

Shocky1
brawlinho;842632116 said:

Someone told me to check out a documentary on Netflix "making of a murderer", I thought for sure it was about the Oregon Basketball program, much to my suprise it was about some dude who might or not have gotten framed

brwalinho, agreed that the oregon basketball program represents the very worst sewage system of collegiate sports & human nature

Shocky1
former cal all american quarterback is now engaged to hollywood actress olivia munn

yeah, one of the benefits of being a california golden bear is that you're gonna date & potentially marry a curvy yoga brunette female...just ask t-wall

yoga is the key (quit staring)#
Shocky1
davidson (10-5) loses on the road 80-74 to dayton (13-3)

#13 ranked virginia ugly azz cavaliers (13-3) bitch where upset 66-58 the #8 ranked miami hurricanes in charlottesville

rpi#
Shocky1

reid travis continues the stanford tradition of ugly azz bigs (stefan nastic), he's got an upper leg stress fracture & there's no timetable for his return

dude scares the **** out of little kids just by looking at them, he's an ugly bitch

(starring roger moute a bidias)

cal rebounding advantage#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842604832 said:

jordan schakel

ethan thompson

the bears staff is actively recruiting bishop montgomery's class of 2017 dynamic duo of 6'5" 180 lbs jordan schakel & 6'5" 170 lbs ethan thompson

ethan scored 17 points & jordan scored 14 points in the bishop montgomery knight's opening game 58-56 endangerment of the santa margarita eagles

jordan got a 4.3 gpa & ethan is also a very strong student, they are academically ambitious & mentally limitless

both guys are being coached up by longtime highly respected so cal basketball head coach doug mitchell...i met mitchell at the oakland airport on the rental car rental shuttle bus after he traveled north in support of his former player justin cobbs senior day game...mitchell places a strong emphasis upon academics & his relationships with his student athletes extends beyond their time in torrance...we talked about richard solomon who also played for mitchell before transferring to price high school with the hopes of playing less with his back to the basket & more as a stretch 4 (solo was a career .571 free throw % shooter during his 4 years at cal)

the question in these recruitments is do these young men really want to pursue their collegiate basketball experiences at the #1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world?...ethan's parents graduated from usc & ethan's dad stevie is an assistant coach at oregon state and his bro stevie is a freshman for the beavers

crazy knights#

jordan schakel scored 25 points as the bishop montgomery knights quarantined 73-51 the corona centennial huskies...schakel commented "the shots just started falling but i think it was because of the great defense we were playing"

ethan thompson scored 16 points with 8 rebounds, 6 assists & 3 steals as the bishop montgomery knights ruled the desean jacksonless long beach jackrabbits 59-47...thompson commented "we needed something to speak us and we got a couple of stops and that got us back into the game"

head coach doug mitchell's knights (16-0) are now ranked #2 in california & #3 in the nation by max preps
TheSouseFamily
mikecohen;842631190 said:

FWIW [and I don't count my basketball knowledge and insight very high]: It seems to me that some of our team's most successful moments have come with pull-up mid-range jumpers, which Jabari is particularly suited for because of his world-beating hops. In a reversal of roles kind of way, it seems to me that going for and establishing that from the get-go could make it easier to thrive by the drive, because the main detriment to that for all of the guys on our team who are capable of living by it (including also Jaylen, Singer, Wallace and Mathews) is the finishing at the rim is becoming particularly difficult, all around, as of late, because of the development of posse defense at the rim (which, by the way, we could have benefitted from more than we did in the last game), and the realistic threat of a quasi-automatic two from a short-range jumper could maybe make it significantly harder for that posse to form.

The stats don't bear his out. You cite Jabari Bird and his mid-range jumper but unfortunately, Jabari is at 32% for 2-point jump shots this year. As I've said before, the mid-range jumper (in general) is the most inefficient offensive play in basketball. I'm not sure why people think these shots are high percentage shots or "quasi automatic". They aren't. Anywhere. For any program. Nationally, the 2 point jumper success rate is about the same as the 3 point jumper rate.

Check the numbers here: http://hoop-math.com/California2016.php
UrsaMajor
Can't come close to comparing with Tim Young, though. Dude's face looked like an unpaved road in Mexico after a rainstorm.
bluesaxe
There's something to be said, for sure, but does the same heading apply to Ty Wallace? Love the guy, he needs to move the ball though.

mikecohen;842631189 said:

So there's something to be said for multi-year college experience [see GP2's development trajectory along the same lines also]
Shocky1
TheSouseFamily;842632442 said:

The stats don't bear his out. You cite Jabari Bird and his mid-range jumper but unfortunately, Jabari is at 32% for 2-point jump shots this year. As I've said before, the mid-range jumper (in general) is the most inefficient offensive play in basketball. I'm not sure why people think these shots are high percentage shots or "quasi automatic". They aren't. Anywhere. For any program. Nationally, the 2 point jumper success rate is about the same as the 3 point jumper rate.

well stated, souse, hopefully jabari will continue to attack the basket like he did at the beginning of the oregon state game & much more aggressively (bird has been too passive in rebounding) crash the offensive boards vs stanford in palo alto

you wanna now what's "quasi automatic"

it's ivan ******* rabb shooting around the basket after an entry/lob pass from his teammates...young ivee is shooting 64.1% on field goals this season

that **** is money

let's do this#
bluesaxe
I'd say the long 2 is far less efficient, and that overall shooting percentage for twos doesn't tell you whether a pullup jumper from 12 feet is an efficient shot, since it depends on the particular shooter and you'd need a shot chart to see. The chart I have access to shows that shots at or inside the key but not at the rim, i.e. the area where a pullup jumper would usually happen, are almost nonexistent this year. Last year, oddly enough, he shot them quite well from the right side of that area but poorly from the left side. All in all I wouldn't mind seeing more of them from him, because that would at least indicate some motion in the offense.

Shocky1
UrsaMajor;842632522 said:

Can't come close to comparing with Tim Young, though. Dude's face looked like an unpaved road in Mexico after a rainstorm.

ursa, agreed re: tim young but stanford drag queen dwight powell was one scary shemale

future mrs stefan nastic

actually it kinda looks like dwight powell in drag (and there's nothing wrong with that, we're not here to judge)

Shocky1
bluesaxe;842632559 said:

There's something to be said, for sure, but does the same heading apply to Ty Wallace? Love the guy, he needs to move the ball though.

blue, didn't you know that t-wall & jaylen are super heros?... they can dribble thru 3 players & never pass the ball, passing is for untalented losers (and guys who actually get paid to play basketball on a basketball court in the nba)

turnover waiting to happen#
Shocky1
the cal's monster class strives to bring important information to current & prospective student athletes on a wide variety of topics

you're welcome

[video=youtube;kDSWOV8J3eI][/video]
Shocky1
[video=youtube;EPfd4lX02rc][/video]
Shocky1
[video=youtube;kpGSMVnUT4o][/video]
Shocky1
[video=youtube;Oap4BvNZufM][/video]
Shocky1
young ivee competed in the game in corvallis despite being sick due to the nasty azz cold oregon weather, he's gonna bring an oaktown attitude to candy azz soft palo alto

why the **** would any recruit with a gpa of 2.5+ ever wanna to go to school where the sun doesn't shine all winter?

Shocky1
steve alford's ucla bruins (11-7/2-3) continue to play almost no defense in losing 89-75 to upstart usc (15-3/4-1)

colorado (13-4/2-2) unlike cal with rabb schemed for big josh scott to dominate in the paint & shoot 8-11 fgs & 8-11 fts for 25 points as the buffs easily stampeded oregon state (11-4/2-2) in boulder
Shocky1
Shocky1;842582662 said:

team: stanford cardinals

shockster 2015/2016 pac 12 prediction: 11th place

coach: johnny "the roadrunner" dawkins

what you need to know about dawkins: the hyperactive roadrunner has the annoying practice of doing a 60 second taliban like lectures in front of the bench with each player (they are not allowed to speak during this very public humiliation) after every substitution in order to publicly embarrass them instead of just letting them sit down...and yeah, johnny is also the worst game managing coach in the pac 12 with less than 5 minutes left in the game which has contributed to the cards missing the ncca tournament 6 out of his 7 years on the farm...beep, beep

what's up in palo alto?: the cardinals 3 best players chasson randle (19.6 ppg), anthony brown (14.8 ppg & 6.9 rpg) & stefan "frankenstein" nastic (13.4 ppg & 6.5 rpg) are all gone leaving only role players like the allen twins (who took sammy singer's stanford offer), enforcer reid travis, skinny big michael humphrey & incoming freshman cameron walker (note to the bears staff: strong gpa recruits from non urban & highly sheltered family backgrounds will almost pick stanford over cal, don't waste your time)

but make no mistake about it, nasty was the fugliest dude in the pac 12 last season

dude scared the **** out of a lot of little children by smiling at them

good thing for nastic is that it is one of life's basic truths that hot girls from academically mediocre schools like oregon and arizona want to date & marry cal, stanford & ivy league grads...so there's always hope for stefan

what this means for the bears: if the bears can push tempo against the non plus 1 athletic cards, a sweep of both pac 12 games is a real possibility this season...and then hopefully stanford athletic director bernard muir will lock up johnny with a 5 year guaranteed contract...look at the mr brightside, with the perennial top 5 worst (along with usc) attendance numbers in collegiate basketball, we can turn maples pavilion into haas south on gameday in palo alto...beep, beep

stanford is 9-6/2-2 with a road victory over oregon state & a home victory vs utah, they are playing with commendable intensity

the cards are led by the pac 12's most improved player senior hungarian 6'9" 220 lbs rosco allen (14.1 ppg with 40% on 3 pointers & 5.9 rpg), 6'3" 190 lbs marcus allen (12.7 ppg), 6'5" 210 lbs dorian pickens (11.4 ppg), 6'9" 218 lbs michael humphrey (10.9 ppg with 50.9% fgs & 7.2 rpg)...stongman reid travis will be sidelined with a stress fracture in his left leg

with a loud & energized cal fanbase expected in palo alto tonite, this is an opportunity for the bears to earn their 1st pac 12 victory...t-wall & sammy gotta feed a healthy young ivee down low in the post & push tempo against the slower cards...coach martin will hopefully design a play (or two) early in the contest to get the bird man going...stanford averages only 37 rpg, the bears gotta crash the offensive boards

the bears are 1-5 away from haas pavilion, are this year's talented california golden bears mentally tough enough to play thru adversity & compete with a physical brand of d for a full 40 minutes on the road without fatal candy azz soft lapses?

if not, the guys & our coaches can pack their bags for the nit

40 minutes#
HoopDreams
[SIZE=6][FONT=Arial Black]"dial in"[/FONT][/SIZE]

SFCityBear

With all due respect, the statistics you cite don't tell the whole story of two-point jumper vs. three-point jumper. The statistics don't differentiate whether the shooter has a defender guarding him or not.

A competent jump shooter in a gym alone, with no one guarding him, will shoot his best from 2 feet away, and shoot at a lower percentage from 12 feet, and an even lower percentage from 24 feet. The closer he gets to the basket, the higher the chance is of him making the jump shot.

If the shooter has a defender in his face, his FG percentages typically go down from what they were when he was shooting alone by himself. And the closer he moves to the basket, the more attention he receives from the defense, because there are usually more defenders close to the basket. In the short to mid range area, he is often double-teamed. Close to the rim, he will often be double or triple-teamed by the defense. So it is a no-brainer most of the time to take the three, instead of trying to get closer and shoot, because at three-point range, you are less likely to have a defender or defenders guarding you. An open shot from three is a higher percentage shot than a closely guarded mid-range jumper.

Another thing that lowers short and mid-range jump shot FG percentages nowadays is that players don't practice those shots much, if at all. As Larry Bird said, "Go into any gym now, and you will see all the kids shooting from three-point range. That is what they like to do."

The highest percentage shot in basketball is the WIDE OPEN shot, the closer to the basket the better. What frustrated me with Cuonzo's offense last season was we passed up so many open threes and open mid-range shots, to instead take the ball to the rim against one or two or even three defenders. Unless our players were awarded points for proving their masculinity, I thought it was dumb basketball, and losing basketball.

The mid-range jumper has its place and its value, if you are OPEN when you shoot it. So with a defender on me at three point range, I would not shoot the three over him, but I might try to beat him to a spot where I could take a more OPEN shot, like a mid-range jumper, a short-range jumper, or a layup or dunk, or I would pass the ball. Wouldn't you do the same things?

I don't understand the movement to eliminate the mid-range jumper from the game. There are so few options for different types of shots now, the game has become predictable and even boring. First the dunk was eliminated, then they brought it back. The hook shot disappeared for many years, and now it is seeing a comeback, and that is welcome. It is the only shot that can't be blocked. What Cal needs, as do many teams, are ways to free players up for OPEN shots inside the three-point arc. Screens, movement without the ball, and passing can do this, if properly coached. Cal takes so very few OPEN shots.
bluesaxe
It's a question of efficiency and percentages, with the percentage that matters being effective shooting percentage and not FG%. Teams aren't as much trying to eliminate the mid-range jumper on offense as they are emphasizing threes and shots at the rim, because they are the most efficient in terms of producing points - the former because it's three, not two and the latter because as you say the closer you are the higher likelihood you score. What defenses are trying to force and offenses are trying to minimize are longer twos, which are the least efficient shots. I don't think most offensive coaches would mind 10 foot pull-up jumpers if they're open and shot by a shooter, but they do mind 22 foot jumpers even if they're open, if there's still time to get a better shot. Those shots produce the fewest points statistically.

Of course, all of this is subject to who is doing the shooting. I'd rather see Steph Curry shoot from anywhere than Andrew Bogut shooting outside of 8 feet, to use an extreme example. It's also subject to who is doing the defending. A shot inside isn't as high-percentage if you're up against a monster shot blocker.

I think the pull-up jumper has been a skill in decline since Michael Jordan came on the scene. You just don't see many kids with the skill.

SFCityBear;842633083 said:

With all due respect, the statistics you cite don't tell the whole story of two-point jumper vs. three-point jumper. The statistics don't differentiate whether the shooter has a defender guarding him or not.

A competent jump shooter in a gym alone, with no one guarding him, will shoot his best from 2 feet away, and shoot at a lower percentage from 12 feet, and an even lower percentage from 24 feet. The closer he gets to the basket, the higher the chance is of him making the jump shot.

If the shooter has a defender in his face, his FG percentages typically go down from what they were when he was shooting alone by himself. And the closer he moves to the basket, the more attention he receives from the defense, because there are usually more defenders close to the basket. In the short to mid range area, he is often double-teamed. Close to the rim, he will often be double or triple-teamed by the defense. So it is a no-brainer most of the time to take the three, instead of trying to get closer and shoot, because at three-point range, you are less likely to have a defender or defenders guarding you. An open shot from three is a higher percentage shot than a closely guarded mid-range jumper.

Another thing that lowers short and mid-range jump shot FG percentages nowadays is that players don't practice those shots much, if at all. As Larry Bird said, "Go into any gym now, and you will see all the kids shooting from three-point range. That is what they like to do."

The highest percentage shot in basketball is the WIDE OPEN shot, the closer to the basket the better. What frustrated me with Cuonzo's offense last season was we passed up so many open threes and open mid-range shots, to instead take the ball to the rim against one or two or even three defenders. Unless our players were awarded points for proving their masculinity, I thought it was dumb basketball, and losing basketball.

The mid-range jumper has its place and its value, if you are OPEN when you shoot it. So with a defender on me at three point range, I would not shoot the three over him, but I might try to beat him to a spot where I could take a more OPEN shot, like a mid-range jumper, a short-range jumper, or a layup or dunk, or I would pass the ball. Wouldn't you do the same things?

I don't understand the movement to eliminate the mid-range jumper from the game. There are so few options for different types of shots now, the game has become predictable and even boring. First the dunk was eliminated, then they brought it back. The hook shot disappeared for many years, and now it is seeing a comeback, and that is welcome. It is the only shot that can't be blocked. What Cal needs, as do many teams, are ways to free players up for OPEN shots inside the three-point arc. Screens, movement without the ball, and passing can do this, if properly coached. Cal takes so very few OPEN shots.
Shocky1
yeah, there are some nba evaluations for underclassmen changes to hopefully ensure there are less 25 year old uneducated dumb azzs without a college degree living in their moms basement because some piece of **** agent told them they were gonna be drafted in the league, no problem

http://collegebasketball.ap.org/article/rule-change-help-underclassmen-get-nba-evaluations

important disclaimer: please note that all chunky monkey fat azz food contained in the above linked video is not authorized for califonia golden bears consumption without the express written consent of coach nicodemus christopher (which is never gonna happen)...unhealthy eating habits can result in obesity, the wearing of tommy bahama floral print shirts & curvy yoga brunette females not talking to you (ask coach nico what i'm talking about)
First Page Last Page
Page 266 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.