cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,263,136 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BearGreg
oskidunker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am excited to see Chauca! Money on the free throw line,great passer and good three shooter. Tiny Archibald?
Shocky1
oskidunker;842635730 said:

I am excited to see Chauca! Money on the free throw line,great passer and good three shooter. Tiny Archibald?

agreed that brandon brings a unique skill set to the line up

as cal is currently the worst shooting free throw team in the pac 12 at 66.1%, both chauca & kerr could give the bears a pair of 80%+ moneyball free throw shooters on the floor to close out games
BearsObserver
Marvin Bagley III ruled ineligible. And Sierra Canyon HS lost Ira Lee to Prolific Prep.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/highschool/varsity-times/la-sp-vi-boys-basketball-sierra-canyon-s-marvin-bagley-iii-is-ineligible-20160119-story.html
Shocky1
BearBackerinLA;842635779 said:

Marvin Bagley III ruled ineligible. And Sierra Canyon HS lost Ira Lee to Prolific Prep.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/highschool/varsity-times/la-sp-vi-boys-basketball-sierra-canyon-s-marvin-bagley-iii-is-ineligible-20160119-story.html

it's possible that mbIII will never play another minute of high school or college ball in the future

little league dad#
Shocky1
[video=youtube;a-2dqxKYQUc][/video]
Shocky1
[video=youtube;zfD1h9ODN20][/video]
OdontoBear66
So Shocky. You are the clarion of Cal BB---self appointed I might add. At the beginning of the season, Cal was rated #15 or so....Where have they gone since as you chime in trying to convince everyone, everywhere to get off there fat arses, and TV sets and fly from wherever to Haas Pavilion, Harmon Court.

Well our Bears have been a BIG disappointment losing three straight on the road to UO, OSU, and I hate to say it 'furd. All the while you tout Brenden Glapion and some diamonds.

Tonight I watched a JTIII Georgetown team (I have a grandaughter there playing soccer, much like your ladies), which is young with a senior PG, DSR.....They went up against #5 Xavier on the road in Cincy and won by 10+. This was a team not rated anywhere near our Bears at the outset. So what has gone wrong.

Right now we have two frosh who potentially go pro next year (I seriously doubt that due to what they have done this year), a senior point guard who is out for 4-6 weeks which may even make the team better than it was last weekend by his absence, and a coach who, after being in Australia to bring his youthful team together, has not in fact brought anything together. There is too much talent on this team to be 2-3, let alone losing to furd, UO, and OSU on the road or at home.

My conclusion, questionable coaching....JTIII is coaching his young team up using one or two senior players (don't think you can really count Hayes), but what is Cuonzo doing such that I should turn off my TV and fly up to Harmon (whoops, excuse me Haas)?

A grad of Cal, family in Gtown. The Big East is where it is at. The Pac 12 answer right now is a resurgent U$C??? Huh.
Shocky1
odonoto, let's be real here, you don't go to the games so there's really no "we" with respects to cal basketball

the true cal basketball fans will support the squad at haas pavilion thursday nite at 6:00 pm vs asu, crowd noise is gonna be critical to get the bears turning this around right now

but to be honest with you, odonoto, i'm not consumed just with wins & losses, i'm celebrating the magic of cal basketball with my family & friends...i've gotten to know the guys on the team & the staff, they are special people that command my respect...and bottom line, i believe in the unwavering academic mission of coach martin

there is zero doubt in mind that cal basketball program is becoming an elite national program that competes for championships, the fact that it's not happening fast enough for you is because you're most likely misinformed re: the challenges of this process...life is not linear & it's not predictable but those that struggle against the currents every ******* day will eventually arrive at their destination

and i'm thoroughly enjoying this process, it's fun

are you having fun sitting on the sofa on your lazy azz in front of the tv whining about our california golden bear student athletes?

i dunno maybe thursday nite would be a good time to travel from the city back to berkeley & roar like a bear?

let's do this (every voice at haas matters)#
Shocky1
jaylen, you came out of the gates at stanford with almost zero defensive intensity, that can't happen anymore if you want to play in the ncca tournament...you gotta amp up the energy on defense my friend, let's meditate on this & then make it happen vs asu, ok?

ivan, you didn't demand the ball vs stanford, you gotta ******* yell for the ball vs asu...don't worry, i'll be there to ensure the guys allow you to exploit the mismatch you got vs the sun devils bigs but you gotta become a lot more vocal on the court...do what you gotta do, eat moms tami's mac & cheese as a pregame meal but make sure you bring a commanding presence thursday nite

now is the time for cal's diamonds are forever class (2015) to play tough d without dumb azz freshmen grabbing fouls & offensively not settle for contested longer range shots but rather relentlessly attack the basket with an dominating bad azz attitude for a full 40 minutes

shine bright (is it asking too much to keep your diamonds up)#
mikecohen
Shocky1;842635855 said:

jaylen, you came out of the gates at stanford with almost zero defensive intensity, that can't happen anymore if you want to play in the ncca tournament...you gotta amp up the energy on defense my friend, let's meditate on this & then make it happen vs asu, ok?

ivan, you didn't demand the ball vs stanford, you gotta ******* yell for the ball vs asu...don't worry, i'll be there to ensure the guys allow you to exploit the mismatch you got vs the sun devils bigs but you gotta become a lot more vocal on the court...do what you gotta do, eat moms tami's mac & cheese as a pregame meal but make sure you bring a commanding presence thursday nite

now is the time for cal's diamonds are forever class (2015) to play tough d without dumb azz freshmen grabbing fouls & offensively not settle for contested longer range shots but rather relentlessly attack the basket with an dominating bad azz attitude for a full 40 minutes

shine bright (is it asking too much to keep your diamonds up)#

I don't know if you're being unfair to Jaylen, because my focus was elsewhere during the time in question. But, as to Ivan: Stanford's bracket double team of 2 bigger and heavier guys gave me the impression that even trying to get the ball into him (let alone the idea of him taking shots against that configuration -.Plus even further help sometimes) would have been suicidal (and was, on at least a couple of occasions). To accomplish the end of getting him more touches, the distributors on our teams need a great deal more subtle understanding of the angles and constant, dissonant motion necessary to create open shots to the shooters who shoot them.
HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]you don't replace a player like Tyrone Wallace. You just don't. He's a leader and contributes in so many ways.
he doesn't have to score a single point to draw a lot of attention from the defense, and just think about his rebounding alone

Tyrone hasn't lost the faith. He isn't broken. T-wall is still one of the team's leaders ... he's still helping his teammates in other ways ... and Cal fans have a role too. We gotta support our team.

When one man goes down, other men will step up. There have been many examples of that at Cal.

Lock in
[/SIZE]

OdontoBear66
Shocky1;842635805 said:

odonoto, let's be real here, you don't go to the games so there's really no "we" with respects to cal basketball

the true cal basketball fans will support the squad at haas pavilion thursday nite at 6:00 pm vs asu, crowd noise is gonna be critical to get the bears turning this around right now

but to be honest with you, odonoto, i'm not consumed just with wins & losses, i'm celebrating the magic of cal basketball with my family & friends...i've gotten to know the guys on the team & the staff, they are special people that command my respect...and bottom line, i believe in the unwavering academic mission of coach martin

there is zero doubt in mind that cal basketball program is becoming an elite national program that competes for championships, the fact that it's not happening fast enough for you is because you're most likely misinformed re: the challenges of this process...life is not linear & it's not predictable but those that struggle against the currents every ******* day will eventually arrive at their destination

and i'm thoroughly enjoying this process, it's fun

are you having fun sitting on the sofa on your lazy azz in front of the tv whining about our california golden bear student athletes?

i dunno maybe thursday nite would be a good time to travel from the city back to berkeley & roar like a bear?

let's do this (every voice at haas matters)#

Informative about what goes on, but hopelessly narcissistic to the enth degree. Thanks for the attack Shocky. You are the "true" Cal fan. Haha.
Shocky1
OdontoBear66;842635889 said:

Informative about what goes on, but hopelessly narcissistic to the enth degree. Thanks for the attack Shocky. You are the "true" Cal fan. Haha.

you called out coach martin & the staff and i merely pointed out that your opinion as a tv fan is irrelevant

does this mean your not going to haas thursday nite?
Shocky1

australian dejan vasiljevic picks miami over stanford

this is a dumb azz south beach decision (but understandable in a going to asu kinda way)

Shocky1

the bears are hopefully gonna average 10k at haas pavilion this season, there are a lot of "true" cal fans

you are apparently not one of them
OdontoBear66
Shocky1;842635895 said:

the bears are hopefully gonna average 10k at haas pavilion this season, there are a lot of "true" cal fans

you are apparently not one of them

In your world hot shot.
south bender
Shocky,

Can you show an ounce of maturity and drop the shame game?

None of us walk in the shoes of others. Please think about it.

Go Bears!
socaltownie
south bender;842635917 said:

Shocky,

Can you show an ounce of maturity and drop the shame game?

None of us walk in the shoes of others. Please think about it.

Go Bears!

+1.

So in marketing shame can work for a while but is not a long term way of engaging customers. It usually doesn't work.

So.......

1) If you are not in Haas you simply miss all the excitement, the noise, and the fun of college basketball. There really is NOT comparison and if you live in the greater bay area (remember, I drive in from f'ing el dorado HILLS when I am there with inlaws) to not get to Haas. 6 p.m. is a pain (leave work early!) but with Bart it can be done if you want to.

2) If you are not in Haas you miss what is or isn't going on in respect to coaching. On TV my quibble is that Martin is so engaged (almost like he is chomping at the bit to get OUT there and play) that I wonder if he wouldn't be better sometimes sitting down with his charges and coaching them. But again, it is what you see on TV. He may well be dong this or the other guys may be engaged like that. So see, if you go to the games in person you become a more knowledgeable fan.

3) The Big East comparisons are tiresome (at best). This team would be in a LOT better shape with Big East officials. We suck at FTs. We suck at defending at the point of attack off the bounce. We do GREAT as rim defenders - but our 4 and 5 are our best scorers. Guess who else is struggling and is in the same f'ing boat. Utah and CU - teams that need to have their bigs stay out of foul trouble. Who isn't struggling? Teams with penetrating point guards. That "is what it is" and doesn't at ALL revolve around Martin.

4) JT3 is a good coach? Did you donate to the Bear backers so that when Monty retired all the options where open and we could have paid 3 million a year to go get him? Otherwise you are tiresome.
south bender
socaltownie;842635967 said:

+1.

So in marketing shame can work for a while but is not a long term way of engaging customers. It usually doesn't work.

So.......

1) If you are not in Haas you simply miss all the excitement, the noise, and the fun of college basketball. There really is NOT comparison and if you live in the greater bay area (remember, I drive in from f'ing el dorado HILLS when I am there with inlaws) to not get to Haas. 6 p.m. is a pain (leave work early!) but with Bart it can be done if you want to.

2) If you are not in Haas you miss what is or isn't going on in respect to coaching. On TV my quibble is that Martin is so engaged (almost like he is chomping at the bit to get OUT there and play) that I wonder if he wouldn't be better sometimes sitting down with his charges and coaching them. But again, it is what you see on TV. He may well be dong this or the other guys may be engaged like that. So see, if you go to the games in person you become a more knowledgeable fan.

3) The Big East comparisons are tiresome (at best). This team would be in a LOT better shape with Big East officials. We suck at FTs. We suck at defending at the point of attack off the bounce. We do GREAT as rim defenders - but our 4 and 5 are our best scorers. Guess who else is struggling and is in the same f'ing boat. Utah and CU - teams that need to have their bigs stay out of foul trouble. Who isn't struggling? Teams with penetrating point guards. That "is what it is" and doesn't at ALL revolve around Martin.

4) JT3 is a good coach? Did you donate to the Bear backers so that when Monty retired all the options where open and we could have paid 3 million a year to go get him? Otherwise you are tiresome.

"JT3"? Forgive my ignorance, SCT, but who is JT3?
Jeff82
John Thompson III, Georgetown coach.
OdontoBear66
Jeff82;842636004 said:

John Thompson III, Georgetown coach.

Who the G'town fans, up until their last win, were questioning as much as Cal fans question CM. You might include skepticism about their point guard DSR. It is such being a fan. Swings up, drops down. But then I am not a G'town fan either for I am not at Verizon for every game. Sheesh.

You need to check in on BI every once in a while to find out your own definition of fandom by those who so define.
Jeff82
OdontoBear66;842636018 said:

Who the G'town fans, up until their last win, were questioning as much as Cal fans question CM. You might include skepticism about their point guard DSR. It is such being a fan. Swings up, drops down. But then I am not a G'town fan either for I am not at Verizon for every game. Sheesh.

You need to check in on BI every once in a while to find out your own definition of fandom by those who so define.

I grant you this point. Who doesn't get questioned? Guys who have won it all-Coach K, Calipari, Williams, Bill Self, etc. Also coaches at schools where they figure they're lucky the coach hasn't left, like Mark Few or Steve Fisher. Cuonzo is on the same track as Dykes. Until he passes the next marker, which is probably either winning the Pac 10 tournament or getting to the Sweet 16, some are going to question him every time there's a loss.
watermelon

he's an egotistical jackass that reflects poorly on Cal. fortunately recruits know he's a poor representative of Cal and ignore him. And yes shocky, I go to every game, so come up with some other attack, you little weasel.
Shocky1
watermelon;842636075 said:

he's an egotistical jackass that reflects poorly on Cal. fortunately recruits know he's a poor representative of Cal and ignore him. And yes shocky, I go to every game, so come up with some other attack, you little weasel.

understood you go to every arizona game & it's kinda funny how you pretend to be a cal fan on this board

watermelon, are you really josh pasternack?...if josh jackson doesn't sign with the wildcats, then what?
HoopDreams
Next man up

watermelon
Shocky1;842636078 said:

understood you go to every arizona game & it's kinda funny how you pretend to be a cal fan on this board

watermelon, are you really josh pasternack?...if josh jackson doesn't sign with the wildcats, then what?

I am a diehard cal fan with multiple cal degrees. you're just very pathetic how you question other people's fandom. I think you're the real arizona fan. You sure do know a lot about their program, and then you try to make other Cal fans look bad, so maybe you're really a mole for tuscon. Don't you live there? Recruits look at you and say "if he's typical of Cal, I want nothing to do with the program". Fortunately for us, no matter how hard you try, guys like Brown and Rabb ignore you.

Cal basketball, recruiting elite Student athletes despite shocky's best efforts.
89Bear
watermelon;842636093 said:

I am a diehard cal fan with multiple cal degrees. you're just very pathetic how you question other people's fandom. I think you're the real arizona fan. You sure do know a lot about their program, and then you try to make other Cal fans look bad, so maybe you're really a mole for tuscon. Don't you live there? Recruits look at you and say "if he's typical of Cal, I want nothing to do with the program". Fortunately for us, no matter how hard you try, guys like Brown and Rabb ignore you.

Cal basketball, recruiting elite Student athletes despite shocky's best efforts.

You guys should say hi during half time of the ASU game...
socaltownie
Is support for the program EVERYTHING? Obviously not. Should Shocky tone it down? I have said so in the past and will say so in the future. But I also respect that Shocky puts a LOT of his money where his mouth is. You don't get tixs like he has without being a major contributor to the program and since I derive significant joy from the program I say "kudos to shocky". When you point out where YOU sit we can compare unit sizes.
oskidunker
I like Shocky. He provides very insightful posts.
Shocky1
89Bear;842636101 said:

You guys should say hi during half time of the ASU game...

sounds good to me

i like watermelons but to be honest with you it's kinda socially unenlightened to call yourself that as a nickname unless you live in the south or southwest in which case you probably just don't care
Shocky1
Shocky1;842626709 said:

what a lob pass looks like to t-wall

what a lob pass looks like to young ivee

in the 2nd half young ivee is flashing towards the basket with his fingers/hand pointing upwards

t-wall got the ball & starts working thru his mental progressions:

1) what does this mean?...does ivan love astronomy 10?
2) is ivan pointing at uranus?
3) wait, does shocky want me to lob the ball to ivan?

so t-wall effortlessly lobs the ball to young ivee for a richter scale 6.9 california earthquake & haas pavilion goes bat****

sign language matters#

there were several times in eugene, corvallis & palo alto that young ivee pointed his fingers/hand upwards & his teammates did not deliver the rock...apparently nobody is listening to ivan & the shockster

ivan, i feel your pain, nobody cares about your problems more than me:headbang...i dunno maybe coach martin & the staff could arrange for the squad to visit with an american sign language (asl) teacher

non verbal cues matter#

in a delicious (kinda like black pepper crusted wagyu beef with black truffles & a perrier) twist of irony, while young ivee's teammates don't understand his communications to pass him the ball near the basket, coach martin is admirably supporting the coaching for literacy (cfl) program at haas pavilion on february 6th

http://www.calbears.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30100&ATCLID=210652221

a need to be understood (je ne comprende pas, where's my boy paris?)#
OdontoBear66
oskidunker;842636142 said:

I like Shocky. He provides very insightful posts.

I too, think his posts are insightful to Cal fans, but I have some problems with his insistence on defining for all of us on this board as to what a Cal fan is. If you fit not his description, you fail. Quite self centered i would suggest. How much money he gives or where he sits therefrom does not define care and loyalty to Cal. Different folks and strokes. That's all.
Shocky1
on january 22, 2015 the bears played like candy azz soft little bitches & got their azzs handed to them by them scholarly asu student athletes by 35 points in a 79-44 debacle at haas pavilion

with any hopes for a ncca tournament bid riding on the outcome of this must win game will our guys play with the necessary relentless defensive suffocating intensity from the opening tip off for a full 40 minutes?

repeat after me, we are not asu's bitches

paybacks are a bitch#
Shocky1
despite 15 turnovers ucla (12-7/3-3) knocked down 18 of 22 (81.8%) free throws as losing oregon state (11-6/2-4) could only convert on 12-24 (50%) free throws in a 82-73 defeat in corvallis

surprising washington (13-5/5-1) knocked down a remarkable 25 of 29 (86.2%) free throws as the huskies dawg pounded 95-83 colorado (14-5/3-3) as the buffs could only shoot 18 of 26 (69.2%) free throws in seattle

free throws matter (wins vs losses)#
BearsObserver
First Page Last Page
Page 269 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.