cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,264,401 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BearGreg
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shocky1;842663496 said:

nevada, tom don't really understand the bigger goals of the cal basketball program (increasing the fanbase & maximizing revenues at haas pavilion) & which school has more scheduling leverage

the art of the deal#

I definitely an grasp the concept of increasing the fan base and maximizing revenue. I also understand the RPI game, and have pointed out why playing an away game against a team with high winning percentage would boost our RPI. High RPI gets us a better seed, or into the tournament, which in turn boost fandom. So, chill on that point.

If we are going to play an away game now and then, as we should (no?) then why not someone so local, making it less time consuming?

What I do not understand is the financial dealings. For instance, how much $ can Cal get by playing at Oklahoma, at Oral Roberts, at Hawaii, at St. Marys? How much do we have to pay Any of those teams to come to Cal?
How much in ticket sales do we get from hosting a game? How much does it cost us to host a game? What is the net?

There is definitely a collection of numbers involved that go into such a decision and that needs to be weighed against the RPI gain plus the ordeal (which is easy for St. Marys).

Without such numbers, it's really hard to evaluate. I assume it's strong in favor of not playing there, otherwise, we'd be doing it. All the top teams avoid such games, by in large, playing a ton of nonconference at home. So, I take your word for it.

But, geez, guys, don't be so chicken about playing in front of 3500 rabid fans. Just go beat them. End of story.
And if you want in, you can get a ticket!

Anyways, you brought the subject up, repeatedly on this blog, so there must be some talk.
concordtom
Shocky1;842663605 said:

john montgomery is an assistant coach for hawaii & is very knowledgeable re: the skillsets of t-wall & cal's monster class (which he helped recruit)

up all nite (breaking down the opponent video)#

Biggest game, as coach, of John's life to date, no?
Shocky1

coach likes to tell the story about how he's walking around the purdue campus after a couple of big time games, the boilermakers are the talk of the town & he's got nba aspirations

so he sees a cute brunette yoga female & starts talking to her...she's real friendly but she don't seem to realize who she's talking to, after all he's the big man on campus

finally a kinda frustrated cuonzo tells her that he's on the team, he wants to shift the direction of this conversation

roberta innocently says oh that's great, what team are you on?

ouch
Shocky1
Shocky1;842582662 said:

team: stanford cardinals

shockster 2015/2016 pac 12 prediction: 11th place

coach: johnny "the roadrunner" dawkins

what you need to know about dawkins: the hyperactive roadrunner has the annoying practice of doing a 60 second taliban like lectures in front of the bench with each player (they are not allowed to speak during this very public humiliation) after every substitution in order to publicly embarrass them instead of just letting them sit down...and yeah, johnny is also the worst game managing coach in the pac 12 with less than 5 minutes left in the game which has contributed to the cards missing the ncca tournament 6 out of his 7 years on the farm...beep, beep

what's up in palo alto?: the cardinals 3 best players chasson randle (19.6 ppg), anthony brown (14.8 ppg & 6.9 rpg) & stefan "frankenstein" nastic (13.4 ppg & 6.5 rpg) are all gone leaving only role players like the allen twins (who took sammy singer's stanford offer), enforcer reid travis, skinny big michael humphrey & incoming freshman cameron walker (note to the bears staff: strong gpa recruits from non urban & highly sheltered family backgrounds will almost pick stanford over cal, don't waste your time)

but make no mistake about it, nasty was the fugliest dude in the pac 12 last season

dude scared the **** out of a lot of little children by smiling at them

good thing for nastic is that it is one of life's basic truths that hot girls from academically mediocre schools like oregon and arizona want to date & marry cal, stanford & ivy league grads...so there's always hope for stefan

what this means for the bears: if the bears can push tempo against the non plus 1 athletic cards, a sweep of both pac 12 games is a real possibility this season...and then hopefully stanford athletic director bernard muir will lock up johnny with a 5 year guaranteed contract...look at the mr brightside, with the perennial top 5 worst (along with usc) attendance numbers in collegiate basketball, we can turn maples pavilion into haas south on gameday in palo alto...beep, beep

johnny's 15-15 team not only passed up by the ncca selection committee for the 7th time out of 8 years but also not invited to the nit tournament despite being the defending champs last year

but the good news is that a retired stanford art history prof & his wife just renewed their season tixs for next season at maples...+2 and counting

beep, beep#
Shocky1
yann hufnagel is gone from the cal basketball program
NVGolfingBear
Shocky1;842663745 said:

yann hufnagel is gone from the cal basketball program

WTH happened? How does this relate to CM's contract?
Shocky1
NVGolfingBear;842663758 said:

WTH happened? How does this relate to CM's contract?

the yann hufnagel situation is not the key impediment to coach martin not signing a contract during the last 2 years, moving forward with the proposed dedicated practice facility is a necessity to continuing the current upward trajectory of the cal basketball program & securing coach martin as a legacy coach with a signed contract
Shocky1
Shocky1;842663732 said:

johnny's 15-15 team not only passed up by the ncca selection committee for the 7th time out of 8 years but also not invited to the nit tournament despite being the defending champs last year

but the good news is that a retired stanford art history prof & his wife just renewed their season tixs for next season at maples...+2 and counting

beep, beep#

johnny dawkins out at stanford
socaltownie
Shocky1;842664024 said:

the yann hufnagel situation is not the key impediment to coach martin not signing a contract during the last 2 years, moving forward with the proposed dedicated practice facility is a necessity to continuing the current upward trajectory of the cal basketball program & securing coach martin as a legacy coach with a signed contract

+1. Now I am not sure I am meta-supportive of this (further seperates out student athletes from regular students - where is our dedicated study hall and lab for would be world class natural scientists) but Cal has to keep up with the arms race and finding a way forward makes total sense. Lets get 2 wins in Spokane and get it done.
BeachedBear
socaltownie;842664113 said:

+1. Now I am not sure I am meta-supportive of this (further seperates out student athletes from regular students - where is our dedicated study hall and lab for would be world class natural scientists) but Cal has to keep up with the arms race and finding a way forward makes total sense. Lets get 2 wins in Spokane and get it done.

Actually - most of the leading departments actually DO have dedicated study halls and labs for their programs. I had never thought of basketball this way before.
BearsObserver
Cal commit Alec Hickman will be getting a new high school coach ...
http://www.latimes.com/sports/highschool/varsity-times/la-sp-vi-boys-basketball-jserra-launches-search-for-new-coach-20160314-story.html
Shocky1
BearBackerinLA;842664158 said:

Cal commit Alec Hickman will be getting a new high school coach ...
http://www.latimes.com/sports/highschool/varsity-times/la-sp-vi-boys-basketball-jserra-launches-search-for-new-coach-20160314-story.html

alec hickman played this season as a senior at jserra high school & will be attending a prep school next year

with the success of t-man at elev8 in florida, it's possible that hickman will head to delray beach too next season before arriving in berkeley during the summer of 2017
Shocky1
Shocky1;842664024 said:

"the recent connection that has been drawn between the ongoing contract discussions with uc berkeley's head men's basketball coach and the current situation regarding the notice of intent to terminate assistant coach hufnagel is inaccurate...coach martin is the cal's men's basketball coach...we look forward to finalizing his contract"

-dianne klein, director, media engagement and strategy
university of california office of the president
HoopDreams
Shocky1
i visited with the complainant several times during the 2014/2015 season near the cal bench prior to games...the thing that struck me most about her was her utter lack of knowledge of the game (she told me she played hs basketball at marin catholic)...she once told me that she expected cal to win by 50 against a mid major, i said really are you serious & she said yes...i pointed out that the opposing team was comprised of d1 scholly athletes, the bears won by less than 10

if the allegations are true, yann will have learned a tough lesson & will no doubt successfully move forward with his professional aspirations (he's an ivy league grad, he's got lots of options)...as the father to 2 high school daughters, there is no room for unwanted sexual harassment & the complainant's allegations should be throughly investigated

if the allegations are not true and/or taken out of context (sexual bantering going both ways), yann's name will be cleared (to a certain extent) & he will continue his path to becoming a head coach

hufnagel has got loving parents (i've played golf with his dad in the hamptons) & he's tirelessly worked 24/7 to move the cal basketball forward on its current ascent as an elite national program...he's got virtually every 2017 & 2018 academically qualfiied student athlete prospect on his i phone

yann will always be a friend of mine & i wish him nothing but the best in telling his side of the story

sad day for everybody#
MiZery
Shocky1;842664327 said:

i visited with the complainant several times during the 2014/2015 season near the cal bench prior to games...the thing that struck me most about her was her utter lack of knowledge of the game (she told me she played hs basketball at marin catholic)...she once told me that she expected cal to win by 50 against a mid major, i said really are you serious & she said yes...i pointed out that the opposing team was comprised of d1 scholly athletes, the bears won by less than 10

if the allegations are true, yann will have learned a tough lesson & will no doubt successfully move forward with his professional aspirations (he's an ivy league grad, he's got lots of options)...as the father to 2 high school daughters, there is no room for unwanted sexual harassment & the complainant's allegations should be throughly investigated

if the allegations are not true and/or taken out of context (sexual bantering going both ways), yann's name will be cleared (to a certain extent) & he will continue his path to becoming a head coach

hufnagel has got loving parents (i've played golf with his dad in the hamptons) & he's tirelessly worked 24/7 to move the cal basketball forward on its current ascent as an elite national program...he's got virtually every 2017 & 2018 academically qualfiied student athlete prospect on his i phone

yann will always be a friend of mine & i wish him nothing but the best in telling his side of the story

sad day for everybody#

Shockster. Completely agree with you here. How will this impact recruiting on the long run? I noticed Ira Lee retweeted Yannis tweet today
Shocky1
MiZery;842664336 said:

Shockster. Completely agree with you here. How will this impact recruiting on the long run? I noticed Ira Lee retweeted Yannis tweet today

coach martin has got a lot of options re: the assistant coach position, his ultimate decision will definitely impact cal's long run recruiting particularly the critical 2017 & 2018 classes

but right now the focus need to be on hawaii this friday morning in spokane at the ncca tournament
BeggarEd
Shocky1;842664327 said:

sad day for everybody#

She didnt go to Marin Catholic.
Shocky1
BeggarEd;842664373 said:

She didnt go to Marin Catholic.

understood, she went to tamalpais
Shocky1
the bows stefan jankovic is a special talent, at 6'11" 235 lbs he can play inside but can also knock down perimeter shots...his stats for the season are a team high 15.7 ppg including 55.7% on fgs & 39.5% on 3 pointers along with 6.6 rpg

jankovic plays the 5 but slides to the 4 when serbian teammate 6'11" 235 lbs stefan jovanovich is in the game, jovanovich's skillsets are comparable to a tradtional center

stefan has never played a 4 as quick & athletic as young ivee & he's never been banged by a duo as physical as kam & the king

the bears gotta take jankovic out of his game, he's prone to foul trouble when frustrated & that's why he averages only 24.8 mpg

come on, let's do this

HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]Coach Martin's goals for the tournament...[/SIZE]

[SIZE=5][COLOR="#0000CD"][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]"play well, play hard and have fun"[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

BoaltBear
Shocky1;842664346 said:

coach martin has got a lot of options re: the assistant coach position, his ultimate decision will definitely impact cal's long run recruiting particularly the critical 2017 & 2018 classes

but right now the focus need to be on hawaii this friday morning in spokane at the ncca tournament

Agree with all of this. Hope the team can focus on the task at hand.
Shocky1

concordtom
UHG, shocky, you are making me feel sick for what has transpired and been lost.
This is one time, for sure, I sit with you in repose.

Shocky1
Shocky1;842421131 said:

justin labagh, a former bears player & the most winning (87% victories) head coach in the history of college basketball, told me about his recruitment of 2014 pac 12 mvp/nba 1st rounder (20th pick overall) delon wright to city college of san francisco

labagh has the same barber in the city as portland trailblazers dorell wright who was then with the golden state warriors...dorell tells justin about his younger bro who wasn't really recruited by anyone out of leuzinger high school in los angeles

labagh says yeah, let's do this so delon enrolls in san francisco & averages 10 points, 8 boards & 4 steals per game in the rams high octane highly balanced offense...nobody wants delon at the next level until justin convinces larry to sign him & delon ends up in salt lake city

how come delon didn't end up in berkeley?

labagh told me wright would have not been a good fit academically (2.5 hs gpa) at the world's #1 ranked public university

justin is not only the winningest coach in the history of college basketball in building ccsf into a national powerhouse with their explosive 40 minutes of pressure but he also develops his guys academically in sending his players with full rides to 4 year colleges...he sends more guys to 4 year schools with full rides than any other junior college coach in the nation

yeah, justin labagh is true california golden bear

sat this afternoon with justin labagh as my guest at the oregon state pounding at haas pavillion, his basketball insights are informative & educational

justin told me that tres tinkle (left handed) has a strong tendency to attack off the dribble to the left & that maybe overplaying him/forcing him to the right might work

city college of san francisco got only 1 loss this season to moorpark jc in a game that the rams best player & labagh were thrown out of...ccsf could once again win the california state championship under labagh...more importantly half of his guys this season will get full ride schollys to 4 year schools for next year...as much as criminal dana altman represents everythig that is wrong with college basketball, justin labagh embraces the tireless work of mentoring/devloping life skills & creating lifetime opportunities for his guys

bears are smart#

update: city college of san francisco (32-1) defeated defending champion saddleback college 68-57 for the 2016 state championship on tony costello college court as las positas college, it's the 3rd state championship for san francisco with previous titles in 1962 & 2011

"the game plan was to throw kitchen sink at them...go to our bench, try to wear them down and not let them get the ball to the sing...i said it's going to take us all to do it and everybody contributed"
-justin labagh
HoopDreams
Shocky1
the catalyst/facilitator of the bows offense is the splashy 6'3" 205 lbs roderick bobbitt who averages 13.3 ppg, 5.5 apg, 4.2 rpg & 2.9 tpg...not the guy you want to foul in a close game at the end, the fiery leader is a money 80.9% on fts

https://vimeo.com/45797764

this game will be personal for roderick as he went to castro valley high school before heading to indian hills community college in iowa & then the islands

bobbitt got a little gary payton ii to his game with average 3 point shooting (34.8%) but also a grand larceny 98 steals on the season...bears gotta take care of the bowl & pressure bobbitt into turnovers which he is susceptible to with his high risk/high reward passes

rainbow power#
Shocky1
reading the redacted report is sickening, clearly yann hufnagel's behavior is not acceptable in any workplace
socaltownie
Shocky1;842664868 said:

reading the redacted report is sickening, clearly yann hufnagel's behavior is not acceptable in any workplace

+1
Shocky1
the only positive thing i read in the report is that thank goodness for all parties that huf never touched her

i've never been a drinker & my kids often ask me why don't you have a drink or two like most dads...i tell them the truth, i'm an obsessive compulsive person who can take a normal passion like playing golf into a successful quest to play the world top 100 golf courses, i don't need alcohol with a yoga/meditation practice...and let's be real here, i don't need any drinks to loosen me up, i was born ******* ready

hopefully this will be a lesson to not only yann but also our current & prospective players, a couple of drinks can cloud your judgment & literally change the course of your life

ask yourself, what makes you tick?
dal9
Shocky1;842664896 said:

ask yourself, what makes you tick?

bourbon :cry:
parentswerebears
dal9;842664927 said:

bourbon :cry:

Sorry man.
HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]Bears focusing on the battle ahead...[/SIZE]

BearsObserver
Meet Alec Hickman ...
http://occatholic.com/meet-jserras-alec-hickman/

Offensive Player of the Year for his HS team ...
Shocky1
BearBackerinLA;842665015 said:

Meet Alec Hickman ...
http://occatholic.com/meet-jserras-alec-hickman/

Offensive Player of the Year for his HS team ...

First Page Last Page
Page 300 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.