cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,260,186 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BearGreg
tsubamoto2001
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shocky1;842675275 said:

regardless of whether or not memphis commit charlie moore decommits because of head coach josh pastner's likely upcoming departure, he is not a good cal fit from an academic perspective

while i agree/understand the staff's goal of recruiting more of a defensively physical (with length) housing projects **** you up bad azz type of player, time has been wasted with low gpa prospects that don't really got academic ambition like charlie moore, davon dillard & tyson jolly...the staff then gets frustrated with cal admissions but that's ********, you shouldn't be recruiting academically borderline red flag student athletes to the #1 ranked public university in the world & then acting like a bunch of sorry azz broken down victims when it doesn't work out, ok?

meanwhile the staff has passed on highly skilled but slight of build true student athletes like jonah mathews & jordan ford who rock 3.5 gpas:headbang

let's be real here, i'm directly responsible for the cal basketball program's recruiting (i almost singlehandedly recruited cal's monster class along with both ivan & jaylen), gameday strategic game planning (the failure to feed young ivee down low happened on my watch this season, i'm not proud of that) & haas pavilion attendance growth (which at a 25.2% increase this season will potentially be #1 in the nation for college basketball growth)...so it's understandable for me to wonder why coach martin doesn't consult me an almost daily basis re: all academic fit questions re: prospective student athletes

i'm here to help, i'm a problem solver...plus i got a yoga practice

wake the **** up (let's get to work, baby, sleep is for losers)#

You hit the nail on the head, the staff needs to know who they can get into the school--they ain't at Tennessee. Regardless of how talented he is, the Moore recruitment seemed odd from the get-go as we were in his final 3 along with Memphis and VCU. VCU is a decent school but Memphis is basically a JC, admissions-wise. That just didn't make much sense. Jolly and Dillard, also. These recruitments are just indicators that the staff doesn't quite understand who and where to target.

But if the staff really passed on Jonah (and Ford) based on the reasoning that they are "slight of build" then that concerns me. They're HS kids, for crying out loud. A few months in the weight room and their bodies can change rapidly. Then they end up with Coleman. Sorry, but a 3.3 GPA at a Bama JC ain't hard to do. Hopefully he's both solid on the court in in the classroom while he's here. We're not in the position where we can turn down a kid like Jonah (and we had every opportunity to get him). I get passing on Ford, as he's average athletically, but Bennett took him and Randy is one of the best evaluators in the game. You have to be to have the kind of success he's had in Moraga. He was on Delon Wright and GPII before everyone else was. Didn't land them but that's because they ended up having better options.

2017 needs to be really good class. We'll have 6-7 scholarships open. Baker was a find (thanks Yanni). Hickman was 4th Team All-OC behind some guys that will be playing NAIA ball. Hopefully, he uses his prep year wisely.
SRBear
It's funny...Curry was (and kinda still is) the definition of sleight of build...once again, some people sometimes don't value basketball skills and smarts over athleticism.
bearmanpg
I hate to say this, but Jordan Ford was the biggest miss Cuonzo has had at Cal....I've seen him since his freshman year and you couldn't find a higher basketball IQ than he has...I've never seen Jonah but I did see his brother Jordan when he was at Santa Monica High and Ford is better than Jordan was as a high schooler also...I believe Cuonzo wants stronger players for the defensive end but sometimes you have to compromise a little on the defensive end to have a much better offensive end...I hope St Marys doesn't come back to haunt us with Ford in the future...
socaltownie
FYI - Shocky the sources for the images have some malware associated with them. I strongly suggest having your web curators save the pictures, put them through a virus checker before uploading. I again am not being able to get to the M.T. since about Friday without overriding Chromes Security feature.
bearmanpg
socaltownie;842675347 said:

FYI - Shocky the sources for the images have some malware associated with them. I strongly suggest having your web curators save the pictures, put them through a virus checker before uploading. I again am not being able to get to the M.T. since about Friday without overriding Chromes Security feature.

It started yesterday for me...
Shocky1
Shocky1;842660472 said:

coach martin has extended an actionable offer to 6'6" combo point guard troy brown jr of centennial high school in las vegas, the #8 ranked player in the 2017 class...coach jones is building relationships & responsible for recruiting las vegas

troy got a 3.7 gpa including ap & honors classes, basketball is not gonna define the future mcdonalds all american, he's not a dumb azz

the true student athlete unofficially visited cal & arizona (95%+ acceptance rate) last fall along with duke & kansas (sister jada plays for the jayhawks & writes a sports blog)

brown's centennial high school bulldogs season (24-4, coached up by todd allen with a high tempo, full court pressure playing style) ended in an epic 71-69 battle with them bishop gorman gaels led by current cal target charles o'bannon jr (21 points) & former cal recruit zach collins (24 points, 14 rebounds & 5 blocks)...troy took the game's final shot after battling for a rebound (shades of t-wall) but his 3 pointer was slightly off the mark & he finished with a multiple 19 points, 11 boards & 6 assists

yeah, troy brown jr would be an outstanding leader of cal's touch the sky class (2017), he's no lupe fiasco

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including las vegas)

the cal staff visited with troy in las vegas this week
Calfans
Do you know which pictures had the malware problem?

I'm not sure what you mean by web curators? Do you mean Bear Insider?

What error did you get preventing you from reading the M.T. ?

We will try to help Shocky1.

QUOTE=socaltownie;842675347]FYI - Shocky the sources for the images have some malware associated with them. I strongly suggest having your web curators save the pictures, put them through a virus checker before uploading. I again am not being able to get to the M.T. since about Friday without overriding Chromes Security feature.
mikecohen
Calfans;842675529 said:

QUOTE=socaltownie;842675347]FYI - Shocky the sources for the images have some malware associated with them. I strongly suggest having your web curators save the pictures, put them through a virus checker before uploading. I again am not being able to get to the M.T. since about Friday without overriding Chromes Security feature.

It's only on page 720:
Deceptive site ahead

Attackers on www.thefunnyblog.org may trick you into doing something dangerous like installing software or revealing your personal information (for example, passwords, phone numbers, or credit cards).
Automatically report details of possible security incidents to Google. Privacy policy
Back to safetyHide details
Google Safe Browsing recently detected phishing on www.thefunnyblog.org. Phishing sites pretend to be other websites to trick you.

You can report a detection problem or, if you understand the risks to your security, visit this unsafe site.
socaltownie
Calfans;842675529 said:

"web curators" - Shocks daughters who he has said help him. And yes, I believe it is pg. 720. These pages seem fine.
Calfans
I did a search at Virus Total for page 720 https://www.virustotal.com/en/url/1dbe0d75ac02784836489c1b2cb10c4e9782aa82a078ab19556b05f2c63a2f33/analysis/1460167685/

It found no problems.

I also did a search on each picture url and found no problems except for one picture that had problems on 1 / 68. It was the picture of the bridge which has been used many times.

I looked at the page source and found which had 2/67 but I don't
see the Do Not Feed the Bears picture on 720. I put the url in my address bar and got a web warning. So my antivirus blocks the image.

Solution: I edited the post's html and deleted the image code.

Suggestion: For those of you who see the Do Not Feed the Bears image, download Malwarebytes here https://www.malwarebytes.org (get the free version )

Please run the scan and let me know if if finds the bad image. Clear Cache. Do you still see the image?

From now on, if you get the error message, please let us know (Contact Us) in HELP drop menu or Report Post and let us know the problem.
GrandPa Bear
I got the error message on a full red background when trying to access p. 720 with Google Chrome;but not on Mozilla Firefox. However, your solution seems to have worked, as the error message is now gone.
Shocky1
good luck to my friend yann hufnagel in elevating nevada's basketball program to even higher heights & his quest in becoming a mid major head basketball coach which will happen sooner than later

yeah, the guy is tireless

seasons change#
Shocky1

the world's guest (is a cal grad)#
Shocky1
"yo creo en mi mismo"

"es hora de molienda#pelota es vida"

-jaylen brown, noted philosopher & responsible global citizen of the world

"yo creo en la magia de una yoga morena mujeres con curvas"

-shocky, lover of the latina culture

si, fuschia es muy popular en portugal tambin

HoopDreams

HoopDreams

concordtom
Calfans;842675529 said:

I bet I can hit this one out of the park.

BeggarEd
I tried loading this picture and my screen shattered:

Shocky1
concordtom;842675663 said:

I bet I can hit this one out of the park.

tom, you are truly clueless, this is a blonde free thread, it's all about them curvy brunette yoga females

don't be a dumb azz#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842649108 said:

burnski, gotta like your marketing ingenuity but after talking to chancellor nicky d & his crew it's agreed we're gonna run a cal basketball promotional bobblehead nite for the ucla game on thursday february 25th at 6:00 pm for the first 10,000 fans in thru the front door at haas pavilion featuring surfer dude cole welle & a curvy brunette yoga female wearing a fuschia bikini...these bobbleheads are gonna be collectors items particularly in santa cruz

our palace is gonna be sold out for sure that nite...do you got your tix(s)?

this **** is getting live

sorry#

even cole welle gets it re: them curvy brunette yoga females
Shocky1
former cal commit 6'11" 230 lbs idrissa "idy" diallo is gonna transfer from boston college after sitting out a year & then playing 9.1 mpg last season due to injury issues

idy's recruitment at cal was marred by the ugliest recruiting tactics i've ever heard about that can be directly tied to criminal dana altman, the toxic nature of this recruitment was a factor in mike montgomery's retirement

if you don't think dana altman is a piece of ****, it's probably because you are naive and/or misinformed, rooting for the oregon basketball program in the ncca tournament is a character flaw on your part
Shocky1
my daughter shay got her prom tonite & is going with some random guy named michael from a different high school...at shay's request, i did not ask him his gpa but we did have a nice private conversation during which we talked about sports, his favorite classes & **** like that and the friendly reminder that if he disrespects my daughter in any way i will go from 0 to 100 real quick to track him down & beatdown his sorry candy soft broken down azz

don't **** wit me (dad of the year)#
Shocky1
happy birthday, coach webster...yeah, the former 3 time all big 10 star at wisconsin shot 49% on 3 pointers one season, he's still cal's best shooter (just ask him)

insightful breakdown of the usc stormin' the court scene at haas pavilion by mike vernon after t-wall's moneyball game winner at the buzzer...check out the clip of coach webster doing the happy dance, he's a couple feet left of center court near the scorer's table...i gave coach a quick shoulder hug that nite (definitely did not dance with him, no that did not happen)

stormin' newell court, that **** is fun

http://blog.sfgate.com/cal/2015/02/06/gifs-looking-at-tyrone-wallaces-shot-and-the-ensuing-celebration/

after months of extensive work closely studying/examining the video linked above, dancing & singing forensics experts from across the nation are now setting forth their professional findings that there is conclusive evidence that tracy is movin'/singin' to the tune of the ohio players

the happy dance (fire)#
Shocky1
chuck & the shockster discussing the upcoming birdie putt's 15 foot of break to the far right pin position on the par 4 11th hole at augusta national & the magic of them curvy brunette yoga females...augusta has got its fair share of them, just ask dontae

chuck & i played the next day at the local public course, forest hills, in a walking round marked by relentless insults & trash talking...yeah, we had a good time together beggin' for the putts to drop:headbang

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (including augusta, georgia)
Shocky1
Shocky1;842617441 said:

coach martin has offered shooting jaylen nowell, a 6'4" 170 lbs top 35 player in the 2017 class from garfield high school in seattle & the seattle rotary...nowell is quick & aggressive with downtown range from the vip section & is developing his defensive skills

jaylen's dad mike passed on last may after a heroic battle with cancer & his son honored his beloved father by making the u16 team usa this june

coach jones is responsible for seattle & las vegas and is jaylen's lead recruiter

i told the cal staff several months ago that jaylen's uncle travis decuire told me that nowell was essentially a cal silent commitment when td was with the staff, a fact that the staff was unaware of at the time

td told me back in the day that jaylen is an outstanding student & that moms lanie's policy is academic achievement is a requirement for participation in any sports...yeah, jaylen's got academic ambition & a 3.5 gpa

jaylen has already made a promise to officially visit cal & this will likely be a cal, washington & stanford battle...nowell would be an outstanding leader to cal's touch the sky class (2017)

"i'm going to ride this through and eventually play for the coach that i really enjoy talking to and who i feel i have the best connection with"
-jaylen nowell

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (including the northwest):gobears:

update: jaylen's top 3 are cal, washington (mom's preference is he not go too far away) & arizona (currently recruiting him hard)

stanford is probably done with the departure of johnny dawkins

from a cal perspective the key to nowell's recruitment will be patience, it's important to continue to steadily build relationships with the family...arizona is targeting multiple wing prospects, once they get a commitment they will likely move on from nowell & it's not likely that jaylen will be pressured to commit early to the donut boy of tuscon...lorenzo romar is very well regarded by the family but he's also on the hot seat in seattle after missing the ncca tournament the last 5 years in a row...next year's inexperienced washington team could sport a losing record & a 6th straight non invitation to the big dance coupled with declining attendance/fan support could result in romar getting fired...at that point cal would clearly be in the driver's seat unless washington hires seattle native travis decuire as their next head coach

yeah, there are a lot of moving parts to jaylen nowell's recruitment but make no mistake about it, the family's high prioritization of academic excellence & his 3.5 gpa will favor the #1 ranked public university in the world
HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]they say the biggest jump a player makes is from his freshmen to sophomore year ...

think about the possibilities ...[/SIZE]

HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]Warriors tie the Chicago Bull's record for most wins in the regular season
the trick is, the Warriors have one more game to play
[/SIZE]
concordtom
HoopDreams;842676073 said:

[SIZE=5]they say the biggest jump a player makes is from his freshmen to sophomore year ...

think about the possibilities ...[/SIZE]

Tyson Jolly would be telling himself Shoulda Coulda Woulda.
concordtom
HoopDreams;842676075 said:

Steph is sporting the famed One Sleeve look.
Don't be surprised, Cal students, if Brandon shows up to class imitating it today.
Shocky1
welcome to the cal basketball family 6'6" 215 lbs jordan cornish a transfer from unlv & originally a coach martin commit to tennessee out of brother martin (kinda a coincidence there) high school in new orleans...dude is built like a brick wall and will be a physical on ball defender/rebounder & is fired up to rejoin coach martin & his staff in berkeley

it's important to keep in mind that cornish is young for his class, he is only 19 years old with an october 3, 1996 birthday, he will benefit from a blueshirt year both athletically & academically...his best basketball is all in front of him

jodan averaged 23.5 ppg, 10.3 rpg & 4.0 apg as a high school senior & was selected as the #1 player in louisiana for the 2014 class with a deep offer list including tennessee, oklahoma, purdue, nebraska & unlv...he made the commitment to coach martin but when he left for cal he switched his commitment to unlv

as a freshman for the runnin' rebs cornish shot an amazing 48.7% on 3 pointers making 38 of 78 shots from behind the line, let's be real here that's steph curry & tracy webster kinda lethal shooting skills...despite also making 42.4% on fgs & a torrid 79.5% on free throws, he played only 16.3 mpg & had a 5.5 ppg

jordan lost his confidence & his way as a sophomore shooting 30.1 on 3 pointers & 59.4% on free throws for a dysfunctional unlv team that saw it's head coach dave rice fired in january, nobody was on the same page in sin city

so now jordan cornish has a chance to work with coach nicodemus in cal's world class elite s&c program, rebuild his shooting confidence with coach webster, be mentored off the court by coach martin & continue his education at the #1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world

welcome to berkeley, jordan...this is an opportunity of a lifetime to truly unlock your mind & become mentally limitless...academic ambition is a beautiful thing, it's something in your veins

[URL]][/URL]

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (including louisiana)
LOUMFSG2
Shocky1;842676160 said:

...it's important to keep in mind that cornish is young for his class, he is only 19 years old with an october 3, 1996 birthday, he will benefit from a blueshirt year both athletically & academically...his best basketball is all in front of him...

Wow, he certainly doesn't LOOK young for his class. Dude looks very mature physically.
Shocky1
LOUMFSG2;842676161 said:

Wow, he certainly doesn't LOOK young for his class. Dude looks very mature physically.

cal is gonna continue to lead the pac 12 in field goal % defense & it all starts with bad azz muscular on ball defenders
socaltownie
Shocky1;842676164 said:

cal is gonna continue to lead the pac 12 in field goal % defense & it all starts with bad azz muscular on ball defenders

yup. Martin is going to love that kind of defender and he is going to cause some real head aches for a lot of the 2s and 3s in the Pac-12. And as a transferring SOPHOMORE (he joins Roman Davis's Class) he is near ideal for class balance. Assuming (and at this point I am thinking it is a good assumption 14 days prior to the deadline to declare) Ivan and Brown are back we have 13 on scholarship, correct?
Shocky1
socaltownie;842676184 said:

yup. Martin is going to love that kind of defender and he is going to cause some real head aches for a lot of the 2s and 3s in the Pac-12. And as a transferring SOPHOMORE (he joins Roman Davis's Class) he is near ideal for class balance. Assuming (and at this point I am thinking it is a good assumption 14 days prior to the deadline to declare) Ivan and Brown are back we have 13 on scholarship, correct?

jordan cornish is kinda like a young coach martin and/or theo robertson, a bad azz muscular defender with good but not great quickness that is unselfish with the ball that can shoot 3 pointers at an elite level

jordan will be a junior in 2017 at which time roman davis due to his blueshirt season this year will be a sophmore

your are correct that with dontae coleman & jordan cornish as firm commits that next season's roster is currently at the ncca max allowed 13 schollys plus my boyz the walk ons cole "surfer dude" welle & nick "the smartest bear of them all" hamilton
socaltownie
Shocky1;842676188 said:

jordan cornish is kinda like a young coach martin and/or theo robertson, a bad azz muscular defender with good but not great quickness that is unselfish with the ball that can shoot 3 pointers at an elite level

jordan will be a junior in 2017 at which time roman davis due to his blueshirt season this year will be a sophmore

your are correct that with dontae coleman & jordan cornish as firm commits that next season's roster is currently at the ncca max allowed 13 schollys plus my boyz the walk ons cole "surfer dude" welle & nick "the smartest bear of them all" hamilton

Got it, so he joins Coleman's class

that worries me that we have a lot of imbalance looming with just one kid (Davis) in his class but #inmartinwetrust.
First Page Last Page
Page 309 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.