cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,257,955 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BearGreg
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shocky1;842682585 said:

a big part of a dedicated yoga/meditation practice is knowing who you are

you are my barometer for the cal's monster class, if an uptight middle aged white guy that didn't graduate from cal doesn't like the content, then that means i'm probably successfully connecting with my targeted audience

in the spirit of cal's celebration of free speech, i dunno maybe you could start your own thread with lots of 80s videos & inspirational messages re: living in the sticks far away from the big scary cities

or you could always just ignore the cal's monster class

namastae

it's nice to know that your measuring stick for success is my level of annoyance.
You are truly one of the special people in the world.

...This is why I do have elected to not introduce myself to you when we have crossed paths.
You have no manners, sir.

Hey Souse, what do world religions say about people who seek to annoy others, have no compassion or consideration for others?
concordtom
Big scary cities, ha.
Don't make me laugh. You live in Scottsdale and are a golfer. Ha!
concordtom
stivo;842682598 said:

I believe this thread is filled with sexism and irrelevant material and is being kept alive in order to feed the narcissistic needs of it's creator. I'd love to see it put out of its misery, or at least, not be so brazenly offensive and objectifying of women. My wife, mother, sister, and many of my friends happen to be women so posts that objectify them are personally offensive to me.

Thank you!

I cannot understand why the board mgmt would not ask Shocky to stop this inciteful behavior.
bearmanpg
concordtom;842682664 said:

Thank you!

I cannot understand why the board mgmt would not ask Shocky to stop this inciteful behavior.

One definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.....why don't you try not reading this thread (we all know your post count would suffer though)...
concordtom
bearmanpg;842682697 said:

One definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.....why don't you try not reading this thread (we all know your post count would suffer though)...

I read for the basketball info and know I'm going to find the offenses.
He sometimes posts good basketball info, and other non-basketball related stuff, as do Hoop Dreams and others.
I just wish the objectification of women posts would end.
It's not only offensive to me, but I think it's fair to point it out so that other readers will learn that this is not right.
It's like if I was on the playground, playing basketball, and one dude kept using the N-word over and over. It may not offend me and my own race, but I do find it offensive, and I think it's right to stand up and so say.
Are you suggesting that I choose to walk away from the basketball court on the fact that there is ONE person there who keeps ruining the game?
It would be nice if the rest of the people also just told him to knock it off as well so that we could get back to the ballgame.
Or, are you suggesting this is a court where we are all just going to call each other N-word every other play?
If that's the case, then I would leave and let y'all do your thang.
Though, it would still be wrong.

Besides, maybe they make a good grilled cheese sandwich and milk shake.
BeggarEd

big boobed brunettes... azztags#

#GolferNerdTimKawakamiLookalikeWhoThinksHeLooksJamaican?
concordtom
Oh, please stop, Ed.
Now you are turning me on!
Shocky1

taylor & her dumb azz dad, roadtrip baby...no afternoon classes, dad of the year

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=temper+trap+fell+together&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

wheels up (desert 2 city by the bay)#
Shocky1
stivo;842682598 said:

At the risk of hijacking the thread (like Shocky would allow that to happen), I'm of the mind that an emphasis of meditation is moment to moment awareness/acceptance of internal and external phenomena. I do believe that this results in getting to know oneself better (if the self is a construct that you believe exists). Whether getting to know oneself is a goal of meditation or a side-effect is open to debate.

That being said, I believe this thread is filled with sexism and irrelevant material and is being kept alive in order to feed the narcissistic needs of it's creator. I'd love to see it put out of its misery, or at least, not be so brazenly offensive and objectifying of women. My wife, mother, sister, and many of my friends happen to be women so posts that objectify them are personally offensive to me.

taylor & i think it's great news to hear that your "wife, mother, sister...happen to be women"...but we gotta ask if your husband, father & brother happen to be men?

shut up, taylor#
Shocky1
concordtom;842682664 said:

Thank you!

i dunno maybe it's because she's a curvy brunette yoga female that wants to date & marry a cal, stanford or ivy league grad...and that would disqualify you

sorry

concordtom
Shocky, well, hopefully some of it will rub off on one of your daughters, at least.
Hopefully they won't go thru life thinking they need to have a fabulously curved body, the links of which you post on this site, to think themselves worthy.

Taylor, it's okay if you some day turn out to be fat and ugly.
Just don't be a dumbazz and buy into the myth that your father puts out into the world.
Sure, it's nice to be attractive, but come on. Ask your dad why he continues to focus on that very "base" level of consciousness.

Shocky, I think the recruits you try to sway are bigger than that.
concordtom
Shocky1;842682733 said:

i dunno maybe it's because she's a curvy brunette yoga female that wants to date & marry a cal, stanford or ivy league grad...and that would disqualify you

sorry

As if I needed anything more than I already got!
I married an all-star, buddy.

And no, you are not sorry. You are pathetic, however.
Shocky1
concordtom;842682736 said:

concordtom
And I'm sure, to a man, that Ty would tell you he loves his girl for who she IS, not what she looks like.
Craft the story however you like.
You're still wrong.

PS: Enjoy your flight.
mikecohen
TheSouseFamily;842682590 said:

Technically, yoga/meditation/Buddhism is not about getting to know yourself. In fact, it's the opposite. The traditional teaching is one of "non self" based on impermanence and the lack of a persevering identity. The Buddha would argue that "getting to know who you are" is an illusion and the source of dukkha (suffering). I guess your "target market" isn't Buddhists or serious yogis.

Can't resist putting in my two cents re meditation, as a proselytizer.

For me, the virtue of it is the openness, and lack of requirements, other than that one sit in the most comfortable position and do nothing for a given period of time.

Refinements include the following: Committing to watching your breath (an autonomic function which occurs anyhow if you don't consciously manipulate it), the main function of which is the insight which comes from realizing that it is actually an impossible task, since your mind regularly pulls your consciousness away from the breath watching, and then the following, bigger, insight that your mind functions in the same way (autonomically) as your breath, leading to the realization that you don't have to worry about the bad thoughts trapping you, because, like all the other thoughts, they'll just go away (and come back, and go away, and come back, etc.).

So, what happens in this open process is that, because you're not tied to your thoughts, and they come and go as they please (although to a certain degree you can hang on to them and focus/concentrate - an obvious virtue when needing to engage in life-building activities), in the interstices magically appear new helpful thoughts and feelings to deal with the stuff that's really in front of you, and which were not previously in your set (as you're otherwise running through it like a hamster on a wheel).

So, it's not necessary to clear your mind (an impossible task / oxymoron anyway) or know/learn anything in advance about the philosophy / religion / what have you. Really, just sit there and don't do anything (really, the longer the better), and you automatically get the benefit. Doing it daily also helps, immeasurably.

So, all that being said, I believe that meditation is not in the slightest in conflict with the tenets of Shockyism, or, for that matter, the tenets of any other religion.
HoopDreams

[SIZE=7]LEADERSHIP[/SIZE]

BearlyCareAnymore
concordtom;842682736 said:

Shocky, well, hopefully some of it will rub off on one of your daughters, at least.
Hopefully they won't go thru life thinking they need to have a fabulously curved body, the links of which you post on this site, to think themselves worthy.

Taylor, it's okay if you some day turn out to be fat and ugly.
Just don't be a dumbazz and buy into the myth that your father puts out into the world.
Sure, it's nice to be attractive, but come on. Ask your dad why he continues to focus on that very "base" level of consciousness.

On that note, when the point is made that "curvy" women from dumbass schools, or no schools other than yoga school want to marry Cal grads, the question I ask is why they want to marry Cal grads. And the overwhelming answer that comes up in my head is because they want rich Cal grads to buy them pretty things. But I also know there is another group of women who want to marry Cal grads. That group is made up of intelligent Cal grads who want to share their life with someone who they can carry on a conversation with for a lifetime.

I live in a highly successful community, and it is comical the division you see. Highly successful couples of roughly the same age in longstanding marriages, and old rich guys on their second and third wives with a 20 to 30 year age difference where the wife's main activities involve anything that can be done in stylish fitness clothes.

Dumbass Cal grads pick the curvy rent-a-wife they will tire of in 10 years, replace in 15, and pay for 40.

Intelligent Cal grads pick intelligent Cal grads.

So recruits, you'll thank me for this advice later. Come to Cal, find an intelligent Cal woman to spend your life with. They'll like you for who you are, and won't be annoying to talk to after 5 minutes. And you know what, there is a lot better chance that they will be beautiful too, than there is that the woman from another school who is trying to snag a Cal guy will either be brainy or will care more about you than your wallet.
mikecohen
OaktownBear;842682773 said:

On that note, when the point is made that "curvy" women from dumbass schools, or no schools other than yoga school want to marry Cal grads, the question I ask is why they want to marry Cal grads. And the overwhelming answer that comes up in my head is because they want rich Cal grads to buy them pretty things. But I also know there is another group of women who want to marry Cal grads. That group is made up of intelligent Cal grads who want to share their life with someone who they can carry on a conversation with for a lifetime.

I live in a highly successful community, and it is comical the division you see. Highly successful couples of roughly the same age in longstanding marriages, and old rich guys on their second and third wives with a 20 to 30 year age difference where the wife's main activities involve anything that can be done in stylish fitness clothes.

Dumbass Cal grads pick the curvy rent-a-wife they will tire of in 10 years, replace in 15, and pay for 40.

So recruits, you'll thank me for this advice later. Come to Cal, find an intelligent Cal woman to spend your life with. They'll like you for who you are, and won't be annoying to talk to after 5 minutes. And you know what, there is a lot better chance that they will be beautiful too, than there is that the woman from another school who is trying to snag a Cal guy will either be brainy or will care more about you than your wallet.

There we go. Now we're getting into the real stuff. As 1st Amendment advocates say: The cure for bad speech is more speech. The cure for bad ideas is not suppression, but better ideas.
HoopDreams

Shocky1
OaktownBear;842682773 said:

oaktown, you make a lot of (inaccurate) assumptions, are you semi employed as a palm reader at the wharf?

bearmanpg
concordtom;842682702 said:

I read for the basketball info and know I'm going to find the offenses.
He sometimes posts good basketball info, and other non-basketball related stuff, as do Hoop Dreams and others.
I just wish the objectification of women posts would end.
It's not only offensive to me, but I think it's fair to point it out so that other readers will learn that this is not right.
It's like if I was on the playground, playing basketball, and one dude kept using the N-word over and over. It may not offend me and my own race, but I do find it offensive, and I think it's right to stand up and so say.
Are you suggesting that I choose to walk away from the basketball court on the fact that there is ONE person there who keeps ruining the game?
It would be nice if the rest of the people also just told him to knock it off as well so that we could get back to the ballgame.
Or, are you suggesting this is a court where we are all just going to call each other N-word every other play?
If that's the case, then I would leave and let y'all do your thang.
Though, it would still be wrong.

Besides, maybe they make a good grilled cheese sandwich and milk shake.

I don't think your analogy is a true representation of what is happening here...although your efforts at trying to cleanse my life are appreciated, I am 65 yrs old and think I can filter out what I do or read without your input but as I said, I'm very glad your looking out for my good interests....if you get good info here, I don't see why you would want to get it shut down....I thought the inclusion of all views should be celebrated, even if they are reprehensible to some...if the majority of BI saw this thread as you do, I'm sure it would be shut down....I was just trying to help your mental state with my initial comment....I guess it comes down to you having to do what you have to do, just don't assume that everyone is of one mind....I like some of the photos and some I don't...we don't need more censorship....
SFBearz
Shocky1;842682541 said:

note to all cal basketball prospective student athlete recruits: taking care of business in the classroom & earning a high gpa in high school while developing your mind with academic ambition is as important as curvy brunette yoga females wearing outfits that match their lipstick & nails...and at the end of the day them curvy brunette yoga females from academically mediocre schools wanna date & marry cal, stanford & ivy league grads, that's just the way of the world

[IMG]http://g01.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1KdHVJpXXXXckXXXXq6xXFXXXt/Hot

-Sale-Fashion-OL-Style-Autumn-Women-Skirts-Suits-Jacket-Sets-Solid-Color-Business-Suits-Office.jpg" />[/IMG]

don't be a dumb azz (sweat equity)#

#sexism101
stivo
Shocky1;842682728 said:

taylor & i think it's great news to hear that your "wife, mother, sister...happen to be women"...but we gotta ask if your husband, father & brother happen to be men?

shut up, taylor#

Yes, you're poking fun at my phrasing, which was intentional and intended to highlight the fact that many of the most important people in our lives are women. By making fun of my phrasing instead of responding to the content of my message, you prevent yourself from having to think about my critique or the offensiveness of your behavior. If I were a female Cal student who came to this thread hoping to talk men's basketball, I would leave feeling unwelcome and attacked.
HoopDreams
[FONT=Century Gothic][COLOR="#000080"][SIZE=7]number one baby![/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

HoopDreams
Shocky1
Shocky1;842682741 said:

a very special nite at haas pavilion (spoke to the coaches including steve kerr & all the players except domingo) with the players voting graduating senior t-wall as this season's mvp

so tyrone & i are talking about **** and i ask him if his curvy brunette yoga girlfriend mercedes looked like nick hamilton (i'm grabbing the smartest bear of them all by his shoulders) would he still go out with her?...t-wall laughs & says "no"

sorry tom

the magic of cal basketball#
mikecohen
Shocky1;842683121 said:

a very special nite at haas pavilion (spoke to the coaches including steve kerr & all the players except domingo) with the players voting graduating senior t-wall as this season's mvp

so tyrone & i are talking about **** and i ask him if his curvy brunette yoga girlfriend mercedes looked like nick hamilton (i'm grabbing the smartest bear of them all by his shoulders) would he still go out with her?...t-wall laughs & says "no"

sorry tom

the magic of cal basketball#

An unfair argument against CT's point, because CT's point to be valid does not require that intelligence (or anything else) be capable of changing a person's sexual orientation.
concordtom
[Mercy Edit]

Now let's not bicker any further before I insult thee more.
Shocky1
Shocky1;842680012 said:

jaylen, you're gonna live all your dreams, let's do this baby

gonna miss your music shout outs

https://soundcloud.com/the-tribe-akashic/keep-me-company-feat-master-wendu-tae-haru

don't forget the yoga mat (and your promises)#

while carrying on multiple conversations i heard a ""hey" & threw back a quick "what's up?" without really looking to see who it was...taylor told me "dad, be polite, that's jaylen"

so i walked over to jb & we gave each other a hug...he is like all the guys a special person, so thoughtful, & thanked me for my support this season

jaylen told me he's currently working out in los angeles but made the trip specifically back to berkeley for the banquet, he seemed surprised when i told him i really didn't expect to see him there

unlike 99% of the early nba draft entrants that are signed with agents, jaylen is still enrolled in his classes which he will complete this spring...the plan is to resume his studies for his cal degree in 3-5 years

taylor told him how i'm always listening to keep me company (the link above) & he told me that the tribe akashic are his cousins in atlanta & that he helped produce this song...i told him that this song will always remind me of him & his gifts both on & off the court

south bender
CT, I fully appreciate your being offended by our #1 narcissist, with his at best puerile view of women. However, that is Shocky. He is what he is. At this stage of his life, he is incapable of learning from the criticism that is directed against him with some regularity in this unending thread. Though he is seemingly without any embarrassment with his constant and stunning self-congratulation, and his simple minded view of life, give him a few decades. I doubt that 30 years from now he will still be so blithely tooting his own horn or seeing the world as he now does. Life does tend to humble and teach us.

Getting a censor to shut him down is not going to happen, and it's probably just as well. Censorship is generally offensive and to be avoided.

And, as you have noted, some small fraction of his posts contain basketball information or opinions. Also, HD often posts on this thread, and pretty much all of us enjoy his writing and highly regard him. Finally, many take interesting potshots at Shocky here, and who does not enjoy these?

I am sure some have exercised the option to ignore his thread. Others of us read on for a whole variety of reasons, good, bad, and indifferent.
concordtom
I never asked for this thread to be ended, and I never asked for shocky (real name to remain hidden, though there is a real person behind these posts, a real person whom I have met) to be banned, either of which would be censorship. I never mentioned censorship.
I would like it if shocky would initiate some self control and respect, on his own. I did question why the board admin would not go to him and ask for some improvement in his posts. It would make sense for them to do so, ask him to use better judgment and employ a better community spirit, as numerous posters have complained in these pages. Talking to someone, patting them on the shoulder, and saying, "look, could you try a bit harder?" is not censorship.

You say you like coming to this board to read the banter and insults. Sure, some of the good natured ribbing can be fun. NYC and I have had some fun with that, and even you and I can debate respectfully. I had some doozies lined up for Shocky this morning, but restraint won out. I know you and others would have been howling with glee, but I can't take a man down that far. It ain't right.

Thanks for the support.
petalumabear
south bender;842683155 said:

CT, I fully appreciate your being offended by our #1 narcissist, with his at best puerile view of women. However, that is Shocky. He is what he is. At this stage of his life, he is incapable of learning from the criticism that is directed against him with some regularity in this unending thread. Though he is seemingly without any embarrassment with his constant and stunning self-congratulation, and his simple minded view of life, give him a few decades. I doubt that 30 years from now he will still be so blithely tooting his own horn or seeing the world as he now does. Life does tend to humble and teach us.

Getting a censor to shut him down is not going to happen, and it's probably just as well. Censorship is generally offensive and to be avoided.

And, as you have noted, some small fraction of his posts contain basketball information or opinions. Also, HD often posts on this thread, and pretty much all of us enjoy his writing and highly regard him. Finally, many take interesting potshots at Shocky here, and who does not enjoy these?

I am sure some have exercised the option to ignore his thread. Others of us read on for a whole variety of reasons, good, bad, and indifferent.

Excellent post SB. You've certainly captured my feelings and frustrations regarding the topic at hand. In particular, the frustration I and others feel with his insulting behavior towards other Bear fans. As a husband and father to a daughter, I can't imagine the two women in my immediate life tolerating me behaving in any manner even approaching what he says/does. I thoroughly enjoy Hoop Dreams posts which are a celebration of Cal without any commentary on any topic or issue beyond Cal. That's all that brings me back to this thread. Go Bears!
concordtom
In other news, or not, the UW cheerleading recruitment ad was taken down after global viral outcry over message to "athletes": look this way, not that way.

concordtom
Yes, I have employed censorship in this household. My girls are not allowed to model or do cheerleading.
They are allowed to be pretty, to get straight A's and be beyond the reach of Neanderthal-minded Cal grads.

I'm sure you all enjoy reading about this more than basketball. Are you ready to switch back to the topic at hand? It's your choice.
petalumabear
Nobody wants to "take him down" Tom. I, and perhaps south bender, would like to see less juvenile behavior, less attacking of Cal fans, more celebrstation of what's good without the negativity. Beyond that, I'm sure there are other things each of us individually would like changed - and I've had extensive discussions with Shocky directly about some. So don't read Something into this that isn't there please.
First Page Last Page
Page 318 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.