cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,254,833 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BearGreg
tenplay
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shocky1;842212058 said:

tenplay, uh...you might have not noticed this but in the last foto of ms morgn she is totally nekkid except for the body paint

now might be a good time for you to schedule a quick exam at america's best

art masterpieces#

Hahaha. Guess my old tired eyes missed that one. Please post the pic from the other side so that I can be dead sure of what I am seeing.
OdontoBear66
OldBlue1999;842212069 said:

Note about Solo and the refs at the exhibition:

One of his late fouls came on defense in the paint where the offensive player kind of jumped into him to initiate the contact. He didn't appear to reach, just got the shooter with his body I think. After the call he looked exasperated, but later, during one of the timeouts, he sought out the ref and had a good 20-30 second conversation with him to get clarification. From where I sat he didn't appear to be complaining, rather trying to understand so he can avoid similar calls and improve. This was a guy I recognize as a regular P12 ref but I don't know his name. They were smiling the whole time, and he ended it with a pat on the refs butt.

So that seems like a big step forward for Solo IMO. I don't recall seeing him do that before and I typically watch for those types of things between whistles.

Great to hear. It will be for the best for him and his team.
Shocky1
Shocky1;842211949 said:

alex morgan led cal to 4 straight ncaa women's soccer tnts & the usa team to a gold medal at the 2012 london olympic games

her hobbies include finger painting...

cal family#

forgot to mention that alex graduated from cal in 3 & 1/2 yrs with a degree in political economy of industrial societies with a cumulative gpa of 3.256

alex morgan=cal student athlete

cal family#
twerking#
Shocky1
HoopDreams;842206557 said:

"i met roger the first day and by night people thought we were best friends...it was like i'd known him forever...i think its partially an african thing...we can really talk and relate to each other...our countries speak the same language and there are some other things our countries share too...there are some differences but i'd say it's like 80% the same"

-idrissa diallo (senegal) on meeting for the 1st time roger moute a bidias (cameroon)

cal family#
50 yr friendships#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including africa)

mikecohen
Shocky1;842213064 said:

"i met roger the first day and by night people thought we were best friends...it was like i'd known him forever...i think its partially an african thing...we can really talk and relate to each other...our countries speak the same language and there are some other things our countries share too...there are some differences but i'd say it's like 80% the same"

-idrissa diallo (senegal) on meeting for the 1st time roger moute a bidias (cameroon)

cal family#
50 yr friendships#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including africa)

A little odd that the map does not have the name of Diallo's home country on it.
Shocky1

former bears all american & cal graduate nnamdi asomugha of nigerian descent was a 1st round nfl draft choice, a multiple time pro bowler & is currently with the san francisco 49ers

asomugha has generated $75+m in nfl earnings

nnamdi is a philanthropist & runs the asomugha foundation: owin (orphans & widows in need) provides food, shelter, medicine, vocational training, literacy education, and scholarships to those victimized by abuse & poverty in nigeria

this yr nnamdi married actress/model kerry washington & they are expecting their 1st child

cal has provided the foundation/opened doors for nnamdi athletically, acacademically, financially & from a community service perspective along with getting the girl of his dreams

cal family#
50 yr decision#

the university of california, berkeley+#1 ranked public university in the world (including nigeria)

Shocky1
Shocky1;842212601 said:

forgot to mention that alex graduated from cal in 3 & 1/2 yrs with a degree in political economy of industrial societies with a cumulative gpa of 3.256

alex morgan=cal student athlete

cal family#
twerking#

cal's new chancellor nicholas dirks (better known as nicky d to his crew) is reviewing an exploratory academic iniative whereby all cal student athletes would need to successfully pass an advanced course in twerking as a mandatory requirement for graduation

the course would be taught by former diamond bar hs & cal grad dr. alex morgan

this mandatory class is in response to feedback from wall street hedge fund managers & silicon valley high tech venture capitalists that listing twerking as a skill on the resumes of recent graduates is considered a major bonus

for more details, click here:

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/alex-morgan-sydney-leroux-miley-cyrus-robin-thicke-halloween-costumes-us-womens-soccer-102913
Shocky1

jordan mathews=denzil washington

"classic overachiever," my azz

squared off shoulders + simple release=scorched earth

cal family#
the grind#
unbreakable#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including the santa monica pier & mexico city)

"he's been our best shooter in practice...he's been the one guy who has consistently shot the ball game in and game out...he's a natural scorer and he doesn't have a conscience...he missed a couple early and it kind of surprises you a bit...but then he makes the first one and it felt like he's make every one...the gun is always loaded with jordan...he's been a guy who can really shoot the ball...he'll thrive because he's ready to shoot...he knows how to square his shoulders to the basket and shoot it"

-mike montgomery

cal family#
man on fire#
shooters squared shoulders#
south bender
The speed with which Mathews squares up is really impressive.

Go Bears!
antipattern
Shocky1;842213896 said:

"he's been our best shooter in practice...he's been the one guy who has consistently shot the ball game in and game out...he's a natural scorer and he doesn't have a conscience...he missed a couple early and it kind of surprises you a bit...but then he makes the first one and it felt like he's make every one...the gun is always loaded with jordan...he's been a guy who can really shoot the ball...he'll thrive because he's ready to shoot...he knows how to square his shoulders to the basket and shoot it"

-mike montgomery

cal family#
man on fire#
shooters squared shoulders#

Denzel in Man on Fire vs Liam Neeson in Taken, who wins?
Rxrg09b
Denzel sober > Liam in Taken > Liam in Taken 2 > Denzel not sober
Shocky1
Rxrg09b;842214133 said:

Denzel sober > Liam in Taken > Liam in Taken 2 > Denzel not sober

you seriously need to post more often

the oskis#

calumnus
south bender;842213918 said:

The speed with which Mathews squares up is really impressive.

Go Bears!

Agreed. Really happy with this freshman class. Mathews and Singer were revelations.
Shocky1
Shocky1;842213663 said:

cal's new chancellor nicholas dirks (better known as nicky d to his crew) is reviewing an exploratory academic iniative whereby all cal student athletes would need to successfully pass an advanced course in twerking as a mandatory requirement for graduation

the course would be taught by former diamond bar hs & cal grad dr. alex morgan

this mandatory class is in response to feedback from wall street hedge fund managers & silicon valley high tech venture capitalists that listing twerking as a skill on the resumes of recent graduates is considered a major bonus

for more details, click here:

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/alex-morgan-sydney-leroux-miley-cyrus-robin-thicke-halloween-costumes-us-womens-soccer-102913

wall street hedge fund managers, silicon valley high tech venture capitalists & other financially lucrative careers with stoopid crazytown big $ are best targeted with a business degree

a haas undergraduate school (#2 ranked undergraduate b-school in the united states) degree provides the necessary business skills (ability to find the hidden pipe bomb in 300+ pages of financial & legal documents) to successfully move forward without a mba, thereby saving an additional 2 yrs of schooling

stanford & ucla do not offer undergraduate b-school programs, one must study economics which is a less than optimal area of study if one is pursuing a well rounded business foundation for killing it in business in today's fiercely competitive operating environment...stanford & ucla grads need to then enroll in a mba program for an additional 2 yrs unless they just want to be getting coffee for rock star rainmakers & watching from the bench

how many years do you really want to go to college?

50 yr decision#
50 yr friendships#
GoldenBear1
Fired up for signing day!

Rorie!!!

Bigs...?

With Solomon graduating the center spot is wide open.

Kravish will be a senior when the current recruiting class arrives.

Lots of opportunity
Shocky1
gregg gottlieb told me "not sure exactly who will be our first "big" off the bench at this point...i think our strategy will focus more on putting our best players on the floor regardless of position...so you may see us susbstitute a perimeter player and go small if needed"

part of my signficant enjoyment of cal bb is that the bears staff are not "locked" into any formulaic systems, they operate like a crafty wile e coyote

bb coaching is an art, not a science

Shocky1
Shocky1;842182504 said:

Best Undergraduate Business Programs Rankings

These undergrad business programs were ranked solely on a peer assessment survey conducted in spring 2013.

University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia, PA

Founded by Benjamin Franklin, the University of Pennsylvania is a private institution in the University City neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pa. Students can study in one of four schools that grant undergraduate degrees: Arts and Sciences, Nursing, Engineering and Applied Sciences, and Wharton.

University of California--Berkeley
Berkeley, CA

The University of CaliforniaBerkeley overlooks the San Francisco Bay in Berkeley, Calif. Students at this public school have more than 700 organizations to get involved in at the top ranked public university in the world.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Cambridge, MA

Though the Massachusetts Institute of Technology may be best known for its math, science, and engineering education, this private research university also offers architecture, humanities, management, and social science programs. The school is located in Cambridge, Mass., just across the Charles River from downtown Boston.

University of Michigan--Ann Arbor
Ann Arbor, MI

A public institution, University of Michigan--Ann Arbor was founded in 1817. University of Michigan--Ann Arbor offers a Greek system, where 21 percent of the student body is involved in a sorority and 16 percent is involved in a fraternity.

New York University
New York, NY

New York University has a total undergraduate enrollment of 22,498, with a gender distribution of 39.9 percent male students and 60.1 percent female students.

University of Virginia
Charlottesville, VA

Founded in 1819, University of Virginia is a public institution. University of Virginia follows a semester-based academic calendar and its admissions are considered most selective.

University of North Carolina--Chapel Hill
Chapel Hill, NC

University of North Carolina--Chapel Hill is a public institution that was founded in 1789. The school has 36.5 percent of its classes with fewer than 20 students, and the student-faculty ratio at University of North Carolina--Chapel Hill is 14:1.

Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA

Carnegie Mellon University, a private institution in Pittsburgh, Pa., is the country's only school founded by industrialist and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. The school specializes in academic areas including engineering, business, computer science, and fine arts.

University of Texas--Austin
Austin, TX

A public institution, University of Texas--Austin was founded in 1883. University of Texas--Austin offers a Greek system, where 4.9 percent of the student body is involved in a sorority and 3.4 percent is involved in a fraternity.

Cornell University
Ithaca, NY

Cornell University, a private school in Ithaca, N.Y., started the country's first colleges for hotel administration, industrial and labor relations, and veterinary medicine. Cornell now offers a wide variety of undergraduate programs and runs interdisciplinary research centers for nanotechnology, supercomputing, and more.

cal's all pac 12 starting center on last year's spectacular final four wbb team talia caldwell graduated from the haas undergraduate b-school last may...as benefiting a haas student, nike recruited talia for a summer internship focusing upon global apparel merchandising in beaverton between her jr & sr yrs

caldwell is from an athletic family as her dad ravin won 2 super bowl rings while playing lb for the washington redskins

coming out of marlborough hs in la, talia turned down harvard because like stanford & ucla they don't have an undergraduate b-school

talia is impressively well balanced in discussing her future plans: "i don't know, be a ceo and make 20 million dollars and have a jet but if god's purpose is for me to be at some ngo in an undeveloped third world country, then that's where i'm going to be"

cal haas business degree=unlimited options to pursue one's dreams

my dream was to make enough coin to fly around the world with my current 1st wife & kids to become the 13th (and youngest) person to play the golf magazine world top 100 courses...mission accomplished

harvard-great choice is one is interested in a career in academics or politics (5 usa presidents) as it's the #1 ranked university in the world

stanford-great choice if one is uncomfortable in an urban setting like cambridge /berkeley & willing to pursue a mba upon graduation

cal-great choice if one is interested in pursuing admission to the haas b-school (thereby saving an additional 2 yrs of completing a mba) & playing with cal's talented & charismatic monster class that describes each other as "best friends"

cal family#
50 yr decision#
50 yr friendships#
concordtom
Shocky1;842214716 said:

gregg gottlieb told me "not sure exactly who will be our first "big" off the bench at this point...i think our strategy will focus more on putting our best players on the floor regardless of position...so you may see us susbstitute a perimeter player and go small if needed"

part of my signficant enjoyment of cal bb is that the bears staff are not "locked" into any formulaic systems, they operate like a crafty wile e coyote

bb coaching is an art, not a science

[SIZE="4"]Uh, aren't you forgetting something?[/SIZE]

Shocky1
HoopDreams;842175347 said:

"the happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything"

-ahmaad rorie, potential all american facilitator/distributor/scorer & cal commit

the university of californa, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including the 206)
Shocky1
concordtom;842215289 said:

[SIZE="4"]Uh, aren't you forgetting something?[/SIZE]

tom, i get where you are going with this but if you will look more closely you will see that the wile e coyote in your photos is actually johnny dawkins

quite frankly johnny dawkins has been trying to impersonate mike montgomery for yrs...but now the stanford ad has figured out that johnny's 39-51 pac 12 record isn't quite the same as monty's 212-112 pac 12 record while he was at stanford

jd's excuse is that he's lost a ton of games in the last 5 minutes & often by less than 5 pts

i had a client lunch today that included a highly respected nba front office executive...i asked him (without mentioning a team and/or coach) what are the core roots of losing a lot of games in the last 5 minutes & often by less than 5 pts

he paused for a moment, offered a brief smile and said, "above average to good players coupled with really bad coaching"

beep beep

adios johnny#
antipattern
We now come to the Acme Spring-Powered Shoes. The remains of a pair of these purchased by Mr. Coyote on June 23rd are Plaintiff's Exhibit D. Selected fragments have been shipped to the metallurgical laboratories of the University of California at Santa Barbara for analysis, but to date no explanation has been found for this product's sudden and extreme malfunction. As advertised by Defendant, this product is simplicity itself: two wood-and-metal sandals, each attached to milled-steel springs of high tensile strength and compressed in a tightly coiled position by a cocking device with a lanyard release. Mr. Coyote believed that this product would enable him to pounce upon his prey in the initial moments of his chase, when swift reflexes are at a premium.

To increase the shoes' thrusting power still further, Mr. Coyote affixed them by their bottoms to the side of a large boulder. Adjacent to the boulder was a path which Mr. Coyote's prey was known to frequent. Mr. Coyote put his hind feet in the wood-and-metal sandals and crouched in readiness, his right forepaw holding firmly to the lanyard release. Within a short time Mr. Coyote's prey did indeed appear on the path coming toward him. Unsuspecting, the prey stopped near Mr. Coyote, well within range of the springs at full extension. Mr. Coyote gauged the distance with care and proceeded to pull the lanyard release.

At this point, Defendant's product should have thrust Mr. Coyote forward and away from the boulder. Instead, for reasons yet unknown, the Acme Spring-Powered Shoes thrust the boulder away from Mr. Coyote. As the intended prey looked on unharmed, Mr. Coyote hung suspended in air. Then the twin springs recoiled, bringing Mr. Coyote to a violent feet-first collision with the boulder, the full weight of his head of forequarters falling upon his lower extremities.

The force of this impact then caused the springs to rebound, whereupon Mr. Coyote was thrust skyward. A second recoil and collision followed. The boulder, meanwhile, which was roughly ovoid in shape, had begun to bounce down a hillside, the coiling and recoiling of the springs adding to its velocity. At each bounce, Mr. Coyote came into contact with the boulder, or the boulder came into contact with Mr. Coyote, or both came into contact with the ground. As the grade was a long one, this process continued for some time.

The sequence of collisions resulted in systemic physical damage to Mr. Coyote, viz., flattening of the cranium, sideways displacement of the tongue, reduction of length of legs and upper body, and compression of vertebrae from base of tail to head. Repetition of blows along a vertical axis produced a series of regular horizontal folds in Mr. Coyote's body tissues---a rare and painful condition which caused Mr. Coyote to expand upward and contract downward alternately as he walked, and to emit an off-key, accordion-like wheezing with every step. The distracting and embarrassing nature of this symptom has been a major impediment to Mr. Coyote's pursuit of a normal social life.
Shocky1

former cal all american (and graduate) & phoenix suns all star ($30+m nba earnings) & current mayor of sacramento kevin johnson talks about the importance of a strong hs education:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/28/living/schools-mayors-education/index.html

political analysts speculate that kj's next office may be the governor of california which would then lead to a run for the white house...would be very cool to see a framed portrait of oski in the oval office...how many bb programs (princeton & bill bradley comes to mind) ever have produced a potential future candidate for the president of the united states?

key bears sacramento targets cameron oliver (2014, academically a longshot for cal), marquese chriss (2015), solomon young (2016) & christian terrell (2016) will hopefully continue to focus on competing both on the basketball court & in the classroom

cal degree+hard work=opens doors in life

cal family#
unbreakable#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including sacramento)

2015's ultra bouncy wing marquese chriss from elk grove's pleasant grove will be unofficially visiting cal this sun...chriss originally was going to visit berkeley on sept 7th with solomon young, christian terrell & trey finch but had to reschedule due to an illness

mc would probably like to remind jordan mathews how his pleasant grove eagles conquered jm's santa monica vikings 73-57 in last season's state championship game

chriss is a +1 athlete that plays the 3 at 6'7" 180 lbs and has never worked with weights (cal's s&c guru scott thom could change his world) & already has offers from vanderbilt, san diego state, washington and asu...more offers will be forthcoming

marquese is also strong student with an interest in majoring in electrical engineering and a 3.15 gpa with a challenging class schedule including algebra 2...he is more like kevin johnson than malik pope in terms of being academically well rounded

mc's mom shawntae wright & grandpa would surely enjoy watching him close to home in berkeley...

cal family#

calumnus
antipattern;842215899 said:

We now come to the Acme Spring-Powered Shoes. The remains of a pair of these purchased by Mr. Coyote on June 23rd are Plaintiff's Exhibit D. Selected fragments have been shipped to the metallurgical laboratories of the University of California at Santa Barbara for analysis, but to date no explanation has been found for this product's sudden and extreme malfunction. As advertised by Defendant, this product is simplicity itself: two wood-and-metal sandals, each attached to milled-steel springs of high tensile strength and compressed in a tightly coiled position by a cocking device with a lanyard release. Mr. Coyote believed that this product would enable him to pounce upon his prey in the initial moments of his chase, when swift reflexes are at a premium.

To increase the shoes' thrusting power still further, Mr. Coyote affixed them by their bottoms to the side of a large boulder. Adjacent to the boulder was a path which Mr. Coyote's prey was known to frequent. Mr. Coyote put his hind feet in the wood-and-metal sandals and crouched in readiness, his right forepaw holding firmly to the lanyard release. Within a short time Mr. Coyote's prey did indeed appear on the path coming toward him. Unsuspecting, the prey stopped near Mr. Coyote, well within range of the springs at full extension. Mr. Coyote gauged the distance with care and proceeded to pull the lanyard release.

At this point, Defendant's product should have thrust Mr. Coyote forward and away from the boulder. Instead, for reasons yet unknown, the Acme Spring-Powered Shoes thrust the boulder away from Mr. Coyote. As the intended prey looked on unharmed, Mr. Coyote hung suspended in air. Then the twin springs recoiled, bringing Mr. Coyote to a violent feet-first collision with the boulder, the full weight of his head of forequarters falling upon his lower extremities.

The force of this impact then caused the springs to rebound, whereupon Mr. Coyote was thrust skyward. A second recoil and collision followed. The boulder, meanwhile, which was roughly ovoid in shape, had begun to bounce down a hillside, the coiling and recoiling of the springs adding to its velocity. At each bounce, Mr. Coyote came into contact with the boulder, or the boulder came into contact with Mr. Coyote, or both came into contact with the ground. As the grade was a long one, this process continued for some time.

The sequence of collisions resulted in systemic physical damage to Mr. Coyote, viz., flattening of the cranium, sideways displacement of the tongue, reduction of length of legs and upper body, and compression of vertebrae from base of tail to head. Repetition of blows along a vertical axis produced a series of regular horizontal folds in Mr. Coyote's body tissues---a rare and painful condition which caused Mr. Coyote to expand upward and contract downward alternately as he walked, and to emit an off-key, accordion-like wheezing with every step. The distracting and embarrassing nature of this symptom has been a major impediment to Mr. Coyote's pursuit of a normal social life.

I've read that before but :rollinglaugh: thanks!
Shocky1
Shocky1;842210765 said:

the following press release was issued by stanford hc johnny dawkins:

"i would like to thank ad muir for his transparent & much appreciated support of my current employment as the head basketball coach of stanford university"

"as for the decision to move our preseason games to south park hs to better reflect demand for stanford basketball tickets, i'm proud to be associated with this move and appreciate the tangible support from our new fans stan, kyle, eric, kenny and butters...we are growing stanford bb in a very methodical way, one real fan at a time"

"but make no mistake about, i'm a realist too...with a 39-51 pac 12 record it's pretty obvious to me that i'm being clownpunked by opposing pac 12 head coaches on almost a nightly basis"

"therefore, change must happen...instead of my current 30 second humiliating one sided speeches at centercourt that i do after every substitution, i'm going to increase the length of these orations to a full minute...while some of you have communicated to me that these public whippings seem rather taliban like with the dazed players silently stewing with dead eyes and mechancially shaking their heads in agreement with me, i feel strongly that these interactions not only improve their basketball skills but also prepare our student athletes for marriage"

"stanford fans, i am also pleased to announce that i 100% guarantee that our stanford basketball program will be going to the ncaa tournament this year!"

"in fact, i have already completed a contractual rental agreement for the usage of several buses from south park hs to transport our coaches, players & staff to watch this year's western regionals!"

"go cardinals!"

adios johnny#

press release issued by stanford hc johnny dawkins:

"it is crystal clear by my abysmal 39-51 pac 12 record during the last 5 years with above average to good players and the statistically significant high number of close losses under 5 points and usually in the last 5 minutes that i'm routinely being outschemed by opposing coaches"

"therefore in consultation with ad muir it has been agreed that it is in the best interests of the stanford basketball program that i no longer communicate with our players during the last 5 minutes of every game this season"

"while i gain tremendous satisfaction from my sideline taliban inspired public beratings/coaching up sessions with our student athletes, this unsuccessful practice will be discontinued effective immediately as stanford basketball continues its upward trajectory to infinity and beyond"

"go cardinals!"

beep beep#
adios johnny#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842199648 said:

is tw interested in going away to college or does he want to stay home in la?

can tw envision his potential role in alford's 5 wild wings offense with no pg?

in watching ucla's practices, does he really think bryce alford is a legit d1 pg?

do the ucla players truly like each other in the same way that the cal bb players have bonded with one another as a family?

how deep is tw's trust & respect for gregg gottlieb, the 1st coach from a bigtime program to offer & encourage his continued development?

how important is monty's track record of developing big men with his 2 post offensive scheme that is run thru the bigs?

is it acceptable to the welsh family that it is a documented fact that alford protected/enabled a convicted rapist in order to win a few more games and then offered an insincere forced apology (as required by a besieged ucla ad) more than a decade later?

is tw comfortable that cal bb's coaching staff will be in good hands, travis decuire most likely, should monty step down sometime in the future? (it should be noted that montgomery has never indicated any indication he plans to retire, that myth is perpetuated by competing coaches that have been repeatedly clownpunked by monty's xxx's & ooo's)

does thomas really want to study economics (ucla & stanford do not offer an undergraduate biz major) or does he want to potentially earn his degree at the #2 nationally ranked haas business school thereby saving him the expense & time of completing a cal, stanford or ivy league mba program down the road?

50 yr decision#

check out today's orange county register article: "alford's past paints blurry character portrait"

if steve alford has not protected his star bb player after he raped the 1st student, then the 2nd victim might have been spared this violent crime

if steve alford had been a bb coach at an iowa middle school rather than the bb hc at the university of iowa, he would be in a prison today for his documented role in enabling/facilitating a convicted rapist to escape justice all in the name of his winning a few more bb games

alford's insincere apology (as mandated by the ucla ad) this yr more than a decade later tells you everything you need to know about his character

steve alford=joe paterno
stu
Shocky1;842216576 said:

steve alford=joe paterno

Steve Alford < Joe Paterno
HoopDreams
Shocky1
HoopDreams;842178894 said:

gametime tonight, baby

this is cal basketball#
let's roll#

Shocky1
who is really making a big time effort with a sense of urgency to get his butt off the bench and onto the court for the golden bears?

that would be kahlil johnson...kj made the scholastic honor roll at price while playing hs ball at 180-190 lbs for michael lynch...comes from a tight bb family with dad playing at shaw, mom at florida tech and bros omari at oregon state/shakir at metropolitan state college in denver

played last season at 206 lbs and is now 6'7" 225 and "doing really well in the weight room" per john montgomery

jm also told me johnson will play at the 4 next season...that makes sense because kj probably isn't quick enough to guard the elite athletic 3s (sitting on the floor by the cal cheerleaders i saw 1st hand him struggling on d against against harvard) but will be much quicker than most 4s as he bulks up

this is another strong coaching decision by the cal bb staff, easily the highest bb iq collection of coaches in the pac 12, to put our players in the best possible situations to be successful...the fb analogy would be a 206 lb safety who isn't fast enough to cover robert woods but who is moved to outside linebacker at 225 lbs & is then quicker than every fb/te he's guarding

so how does the bears frontcourt rotation shape up for next season?

john montgomery told me "we'll have kravish, solomon, rooks, behrens and then johnson and/or roger moute...we can also go small and play kreklow with wallace, bird and cobbs...lots of flexibility"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

good luck to kahlil johnson as he leaves the cal bb program to focus upon academics

the bears staff is doing the right thing & honoring his scholly thru this school yr

by all accounts kj worked hard & was a respected teammate

this means the bears could potentially offer 4 schollys this yr with amhaad rorie a commit, idrissa diallo & thomas welsh as fall actionable offers and sami eleraky & cameron oliver (academically a longshot at this pt) as potential spring signees

or the bears could sign 3 players this yr & roll the scholly over to 2015 when only kravish & kreklow are scheduled to graduate and therefore sign 3 in 2015 for class size roster balancing purposes
Shocky1
HoopDreams;842216900 said:

maxpreps is ranking ahmaad rorie's montverde academy the #1 team in the united states in its preseason hs rankings

ahmaad rorie is preparing himself both academically & athleteically for the transition to cal starting with the 2014 summer bridge...theo robertson told me before tonight's game that the cal summer bridge was a key factor in his academic success in earning a cal degree

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including the 206)
Shocky1
Shocky1;842216986 said:

gametime tonight, baby

this is cal basketball#
let's roll#

some teams are more fun to watch than others

early indications are that the 2013 golden bears will be one of those special teams that captivate fans

the bears played relentlessly uptempo tonight yet unselfishly (perhaps too much at times) in sharing the ball with their teammates...the staggering 23 assists to only 7 turnovers tells the story

really enjoyed meeting vandalus at the game, he ran track at cal & has some pretty entertaining stories about cal fb & bb players along with also seeing sixto rodriguez of 'searching for sugar man" at the coachella music festival...the cal band playing one of my favorite songs, m83's "midnight city" was a musical highlight

the wbb game with brittney boyd pushing tempo & gennifer brandon returning to the court was exciting as coach gottlieb's squad must also find a solution for the 1st big off the bench if they are to return to the final four

started the day with a 2 hr fog delay in flying from scottsdale to the bay area but still was able to tee it up with sango & coach desimone at peninsula cc (a faithfully restored donald ross design with absolutely treacherous greens on a tight, sloping parcel of land)...coach des told me that his team has the talent & experience to compete again for a national championship (alabama will be the major competition) but that the bears fortunes will be impacted by last season's college golf's #1 ranked player michael kim trying out for 2nd stage pga tour qualifying school later this month

des also told me that monty's wife sarah (who plays 4 times a week at orinda cc) is the best golfer in the family

ouch

cal family#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842210487 said:

the following press release was issued by the stanford ad bernard muir:

"after considerable analysis in conjunction with the stanford economic department (we do not have an undergraduate business major) it is clear after reviewing supply (an overabundance of empty seats) vs demand (declining) that the men's basketball team's home game revenues are not being optimized at this point"

"therefore effective immediately all preseason stanford basketball games will be played at south park hs (seating capacity 392) in an effort to create a cozy, loud home court advantage"

"while it is undeniably true that playing the pac 12 slate at a predominantly empty maples pavilion will create a home court advantage for visiting pac 12 institutions, the fiscal impact and influx of capital generated by predominantly affluent and good looking cal fans cannot be ignored and its signficant impact upon the palo alto economic footprint"

"i would also like to take this opportunity to 100% reaffirm my support for johnny dawkins...there will be no further comment from this office regarding coach dawkins and his contractual employment with this department until the cardinals are once again mathematically eliminated from the ncaa field of 65 teams tournament"

this is stanford basketball#
adios johnny#

good news for jd is that he masterfully coached stanford to a 72-68 squeaker win over the bucknell bison while playing essentially only 6 players...the lead changed hands 11 times in this epic victory...when you're coaching for your job, there's no need to play/develop any players

also the kinkos in palo alto has a very attractive 40% deep discount on a full service resume assistance package this weekend

so you have that too...

beep, beep

this is stanford basketball#
adios johnny#
SRBear
The last time we were this snarky about a stanfurd head coach they went and hired Harbaugh...we know how that turned out.
Vandalus
Shocky1;842217848 said:

some teams are more fun to watch than others

early indications are that the 2013 golden bears will be one of those special teams that captivate fans

the bears played relentlessly uptempo tonight yet unselfishly (perhaps too much at times) in sharing the ball with their teammates...the staggering 23 assists to only 7 turnovers tells the story

really enjoyed meeting vandalus at the game, he ran track at cal & has some pretty entertaining stories about cal fb & bb players along with also seeing sixto rodriguez of 'searching for sugar man" at the coachella music festival...the cal band playing one of my favorite songs, m83's "midnight city" was a musical highlight

the wbb game with brittney boyd pushing tempo & gennifer brandon returning to the court was exciting as coach gottlieb's squad must also find a solution for the 1st big off the bench if they are to return to the final four

started the day with a 2 hr fog delay in flying from scottsdale to the bay area but still was able to tee it up with sango & coach desimone at peninsula cc (a faithfully restored donald ross design with absolutely treacherous greens on a tight, sloping parcel of land)...coach des told me that his team has the talent & experience to compete again for a national championship (alabama will be the major competition) but that the bears fortunes will be impacted by last season's college golf's #1 ranked player michael kim trying out for 2nd stage pga tour qualifying school later this month

coach des also told me that monty's wife sarah (who plays 4 times a week at orinda cc) is the best golfer in the family

ouch

cal family#

I had an awesome time meeting Shocky; great dude and fun to hang out with. Theo, in case people don't already know, should be the face of our recruiting efforts in short order. He is such a smart humble and awesome ambassador for everything that Cal stands for. The seats were incredible, and got better in the second half when the "A squad" cheerleaders were moved in front of us (read, the girls in blue as opposed to white, which runs ~15 lbs lighter in comparison). Basketball that close is a physical game, and it was great to see our newfound athleticism up close. I tried to take a few photos with my iPhone, with limited success... I like to think our players are just too athletic for the camera lens to keep up. :P GO BEARS!

Shocky1
Shocky1;842203371 said:

"bryce alford has an average body with limited quickness and explosiveness...i don't see alford being talented enough to keep lavine or powell off the court regardless of which position you play him at"

-ucla insider after observing a closed practice

alfords 5 wild wings offense with no pg#
ruh roh#

in playing half the game (20 minutes) bryce alford contributed a robust 2 pts (on 1-5 shooting) & an assist in ucla's scary 72-67 against drexel

what recruitable pg in the united states & its territories will want to compete for pt with the coach's son?

this is ucla basketball#
First Page Last Page
Page 47 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.