cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,256,150 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BearGreg
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shocky1;842209133 said:

"where i like the coaching staff and where the head coach is the main one talking to me so that i know that they really want me...if the head coach is calling, that means you are a priority"

-ivan rabb

ivan rabb's 2013 debut is tonight in the nor cal tip off classic

wonder if mike & sarah montgomery have this posted to their refrigerator door:
http://www.westalamedacountyconference.org/g5-bin/client.cgi?cwellOnly=1&G5statusflag=view&schoolname=&school_id=4&G5button=13&G5genie=678&vw_schoolyear=1&vw_agl=44-2-3&category_sel=0&category=&cond_date=1

cal family#
the grind includes the head coach#
concordtom
Shocky1;842236058 said:

Now, if you can throw in here a link to the game on the web, I'll be impressed! :-)
HoopDreams
the beginning of the Monster Class
Allan Crabbe and Solomon

Shocky1
HoopDreams;842233648 said:

adding another shooter next year
sweet jumper

cal future pg ahmaad rorie scored 18 pts as the nation's #1 montverde academy (4-0) were birds of prey vs providence 79-54

go eagles#
hotel california#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including tacoma & lakeland)
Shocky1
Shocky1;842236058 said:

wonder if mike & sarah montgomery have this posted to their refrigerator door:
http://www.westalamedacountyconference.org/g5-bin/client.cgi?cwellOnly=1&G5statusflag=view&schoolname=&school_id=4&G5button=13&G5genie=678&vw_schoolyear=1&vw_agl=44-2-3&category_sel=0&category=&cond_date=1

cal family#
the grind includes the head coach#

2015's #1 player in the world ivan rabb scored 28 pts (13 fgs & 2-3 fts), 15 boards & 4 blocks as the bod dragons (1-0) fireballed bullard (fresno) 90-76...fellow bod big man isiah thomas dnp & is awaiting transfer eligibility approval

"coach (lou richie, longtime good friend of theo robertson) makes sure we all have confidence in each other...we expect a lot out of each other... yeah, we got off to a good start but we're still learning...this is just the beginning of the season"

-ivan rabb

impressive to note that rabb opted to talk about the TEAM ("we") and not himself ("i")...that is a characteristic of a grounded student athlete & great parenting

cal family#
bay areas finest#

the university of californa, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including oakland)
Shocky1
Shocky1;842195971 said:

last weekend sacramento's grant hs cameron oliver & his dad doyle made their 1st official visit, a fun & informative trip to cal

oliver is 6'8", 205 lbs with the frame to add another 20-30 lbs of muscle & missed his jr yr due to an acl tear

the bears interest was solidified by cameron's spectacular breakout performance at the recent elite 50 (a showcase for sacramento talent during which malik pope broke the same leg for the 2nd time during warm ups) with travis decuire making the initial contacts

oliver creates tremendous match up nightmares for opponents with his dominating size & consistent 15+ ft jumper for a 3 yet supreme quicks & thundering dunks as a 4

the bears staff has outlined an academic gameplan for cameron to be both ncaa & cal eligible which will involve achieving solid sat scores and raising both his chemistry & english grades to elevate his current almost 3.0 gpa

my take is that oliver (who has the relentless under control fiery edge/competitiveness like the cal monster class) decides to wait until the spring signing period (for an actionable firmed up cal offer) to continue working both in the classroom and the bb court that the bears will be in the driver's seat as his dad doyle & family value cal's close proximity & world class education to open doors down the road

cal family#
unbreakable#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including sacramento)

playing his 2nd game in 2 days after returning from his acl tear, cameron oliver was limited to 8 pts due to foul trouble & limited pt as rocklin upset grant (1-1) 54-51

sacramento is bear territory#
petalumabear
Shocky1;842236537 said:

2015's #1 player in the world ivan rabb scored 28 pts (13 fgs & 2-3 fts), 15 boards & 4 blocks as the bod pirates made bullard (fresno) walk the plank 90-76...fellow bod big man isiah thomas dnp & is awaiting transfer eligibility approval

"coach (lou ritchie, longtime good friend of theo robertson) makes sure we all have confidence in each other...we expect a lot out of each other... yeah, we got off to a good start but we're still learning...this is just the beginning of the season"

-ivan rabb

impressive to note that rabb opted to talk about the TEAM ("we") and not himself ("i")...that is a characteristic of a grounded student athlete & great parenting

cal family#
bay areas finest#

the university of californa, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including oakland)

Shockster - my "other" alma mater -BOD - are the Dragons not the Pirates...:headbang
Shocky1
petalumabear;842236592 said:

Shockster - my "other" alma mater -BOD - are the Dragons not the Pirates...:headbang

petaluma, duly noted...was really looking forward to pirate metaphors for bod victories this season like "walking the plank" & "stealing the booty" & "going johnny depp" etc.

any suggestions for dragons?

Shocky1
Shocky1;842222381 said:

oscar frayer (2016 alan crabbe jr) & damari milstead (2017 top ranked pg in nor cal) made unofficial visits to berkeley for monday night's bears mauling of denver

oscar & damari also played in an informal pick up game with many of the current bears at the rsf prior to the ohio state fb game in sept

both play for moreau catholic (18-10 last season with a predominantly underclassmen team) & hc frank knight (former all state guard at oakland fremont)

knight is building something special at mc (hayward) with his high expectations for his players both academically & athletically...like justin labagh at ccsf, many of frank knight's players will be well qualified to earn schollys if they work hard & follow his principles of success

"if you want to do something transformative and want to be challenged in the classroom and on the court, then moreau would be a good fit"

-frank knight

go mariners#
cal family#
bay areas finest#
the grind#
unbreakable#

oscar frayer

damari milstead

freshman pg & cal offeree (td loves the kid) damari milstead (2017) scored 21 pts in his hs debut & teammate oscar frayer (2016) knocked down 11 pts as the young moreau catholic (0-1) mariners were shipwrecked 75-56 by an experienced monte vista squad led by trevor johns (jay john's son & cal poly signee) scoring 19 pts

cal family#
bay areas finest#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842235154 said:

the bears were no match for the mentally tougher & physically stronger dayton flyers without ray charles

justin cobbs=31 pts=man of steel

the only person in north america who is slower than jb (he is literally the last guy back on d transition every play, next film session is gonna be interesting) is cee lo green

aloha

cal family#
monster learning experience#
mamas fish house#

cee lo green's attorney & mgmt co have served me with cease & desist papers filed at the beverly hills courthouse (circuit 21 polo lounge) stipulating that the "patently not factual assertion that jabari bird hustles back on transition defense quicker than mr cee lo green is both insulting and damaging to their client"

ouch

guess we'll discover the facts of this case monday night...

cal family#
fly with the bird (but sprint back on d)#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842222438 said:

documentation re: how girls from mediocre dumb azz schools act when they are around cal guys

mrs degree#

it ain't princeton...
Shocky1
Shocky1;842219748 said:

took the 10 minute drive from the olympic club* to sfcc this afternoon to watch sami eleraky for the 1st half (20 minutes) of the rams 4th annual tip off tnt 3rd place game vs santa rosa on my way to berkeley for the women's bb spinal tap level 11 loud crowd game vs duke

spoke with justin labagh, sfcc's hc & former cal bb walk on, before the game and he told me that sami is working hard in the classroom, the weight room & on the court...when i reminded labagh he is the winningest hc in the history of college bb (87.6 winning % heading into this season), he calmly replied, "all i know is that we're 0-1 this season"...justin's real shining achievement is that he academically prepares his players to earn college scholarships as more players from sfcc earn schollys than any other jc in california

sfcc lost yesterday to yuba (which also beat defending state champion mt san jacinto fri nite) & labagh told me eleraky did not have his best game

eleraky is a shade under 7' & is listed at 245 lbs in the program...he is lean looking (but not skinny) & could add another 15 lbs of muscle (under scott thom's elite s&c program if he signs with cal) quite comfortably with his frame

while sami is from aalborg, denmark, his parents are of egyptian descent and he is olive skinned with no visible tats

eleraky can really run with long strides & style wise would fit well with cal's new high tempo transition game...he also has above average jumping skills for a 7 footer

on d he is actively engaged with a crouched stance & constantly talks to his teammates...very impressed with his ability to quickly & physically put his body on an opposing player in an effort to block out when the opponents shoot...sami is not afraid of contact

offensive stats don't mean anything at sfcc as labagh constantly rotates players in & out of the game and they impressively share the ball with one another...his teams don't feature star players with gaudy stats, they just win championships

having said that, sami doesn't demand the ball & doesn't appear to have a go to post move yet...he had one exceptional offensive play when he pinned the defender and then released him for an over the top entry pass catch & lay up...eleraky appears to have good hands

eleraky's inexperience shows up as he doesn't quite have all the angles for rebounds (kravish is great at this) figured out yet & his high flying shot block attempts are a split second off...continued strong coaching & game experiences could remedy those issues

as a disciple under bobby knight, labagh is giving eleraky tough love...after a missed 10 ft fall away jumper (instead of pounding it to the basket), justin yelled, "sami, that's not the shot we want" & then quickly substituted him out

like kameron rooks, sami eleraky has a chance to be good at a high d1 program which is the same scouting report that would have been stated re: both richard solomon & david kravish when they arrived at cal

i'm looking forward to checking out sami again later this season to check out his development (hopefully other bears fans will take in a sfcc game too, wear your cal gear & sit in the row behind the rams bench-listening to jerome randle sized #3 animatedly talk to his coaches, teammates, referees, opponents, the guy in the 4th row and even himself when he's not draining nba 3 pters is worth the $7 admsission in itself)

sami's remarkable journey of traveling from denmark to kansas to san francisco is a story of perseverance & mental courage with many chapters still to be written...

*played the olympic club's fabulously fun par 3 cliffs course with dramatic ocean views & clever shot values with the o-club's greens chairman this morning in under an hr...the cliffs course is one of my 3 favorite 9 hole courses in the united states along with augusta national's par 3 course & the dunes club in new buffalo, michigan...please note that the short course at pine valley is actually 10 holes & the par 3 conservation course at bandon is actually 13 holes...my favorite international 9 hole course is the highly original & quirky valliere course at morfontaine (in the subrubs of paris) whose downhill par par 3 4th hole to a wildly undulating green is arguably the best inland par 3 in the world

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including denmark)

ccsf hc justin labagh told me "we killed hartnell...sami had 11 pts, 8 rbs and he missed 2 dunks and 4 fts...he is playing better!"...should be noted that in labagh's system (he is the winningiest hc in the history of college basketball with a 87.6% winning record) players are rotated in & out so minutes & stats are not emphasized, just victories

hartnell hc andrew vasher told me re: sami "he is pretty good!!"

cal family#
go rams#

Shocky1
bears fans should check out sami eleraky running the court for justin labagh's rams this season:

http://www.ccsf.edu/NEW/en/educational-programs/school-and-departments/school-of-health-and-physical-education/physical-education-and-dance/athletics/mens_basketball/schedule_and_results.html

labagh graduated from cal after playing with abdul shareef rahim & tony gonzalez, interned under bobby knight, recruits relentlessly during the off season (once told me that 20 of his wins each season take place on the recruiting trail), sends more guys to college with schollys than any other jc hc in california because of his emphasis upon academics & is the winningiest hc in college bb history at 87.6%

justin labagh=cal guy on a mission in life

cal family#

Shocky1
Shocky1;842236888 said:

freshman pg & cal offeree (td loves the kid) damari milstead (2017) scored 21 pts in his hs debut & teammate oscar frayer (2016) knocked down 11 pts as the young moreau catholic (0-1) mariners were shipwrecked 75-56 by an experienced monte vista squad led by trevor johns (jay john's son & cal poly signee) scoring 19 pts

cal family#
bay areas finest#

"it was a surprise...my dad told me that they called him today (sunday)...i really like the school, it's nice and big, they have a great education and it's cool that its my first offer from a big time school"

-damari milstead

Shocky1
"tyrone did what he's capable of doing...he got to the basket a couple of times and he got 11 rebounds and 5 assists...that's perfect...truthfully we don't win without justin distributing the ball...justin had 9 assists and should have had more...he came out and played a really good floor game...those things don't show up...between tryone and justin doing what they did, it allowed some other guys to get shots"

-mike montgomery

original monsters#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842230312 said:

the cal monster class & om (original monsters) are flying to maui today

mr cranky pants has advised that the team's only beach time may be sunday after the bears practice...the team will then return to the bay area next thursday

be assured that if the shockster was the cal hc that the downtime would read like the script from hangover part 4: mayhem in maui (with a special guest appearance by new buddy, potus) & that bears would be the 1st team in the history of the maui invitational to lose 4 games & that jeff powers would likely never be heard from again

wolfpack#

while it is commendable that mike montgomery & the cal staff would like to treat our true student athletes at the #1 ranked public university in the world as responsible adults, on the other hand monty's plan to put an ankle braclet on night club hero jeff powers during the bears dangerous road trip to santa barbara makes a lot of sense too

great to see powers get in the game last night despite earlier rumors that he was on a slow moving yacht to fiji with a couple of his "new friends"

cal family#
petalumabear
Shocky1;842236879 said:

petaluma, duly noted...was really looking forward to pirate metaphors for bod victories this season like "walking the plank" & "stealing the booty" & "going johnny depp" etc.

any suggestions for dragons?

hmmmmm.. how about this?
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=photo+of+smaug+in+the+hobbit&id=3CDE30C700EF3F18DAD8894655D536A325202F43&FORM=IQFRBA
Shocky1
petalumabear;842238998 said:

hmmmmm.. how about this?
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=photo+of+smaug+in+the+hobbit&id=3CDE30C700EF3F18DAD8894655D536A325202F43&FORM=IQFRBA

why would i want to post pictures of stanford's incoming female monster class?

adios johnny#
Shocky1
"ricky has done a really good job of going in and picking up some minutes in there (as a big)...we'd like to get roger in there, bring him along and have him help...we said from the get go that we're a big short and we are...if they're both able to play, that's when we're better"

-mike montgomery

please note ricky's risk management advice to roger

cal family#
Shocky1
"i thought richard did a really good job of stepping away and hit some early ones...david stepped away and hit some shots...he's a good facing shooter...he's got a good left handed hook shot...not having richard in hawaii really hurt david...now he has to play against their center...it was a little harder for him...if we have two bigs in there, richard is typically guarded by the five and we can take advantage of having a second big who is pretty skilled...david has played well"

-mike montgomery

cal family#
original monsters#

Shocky1
HoopDreams;842236190 said:

the beginning of the Monster Class
Allan Crabbe and Solomon

alan crabbe's road to the nba (minting almost $1m this season) started with a 3.3 gpa@price hs

ac's solid gpa (combined with his bb skills) allowed him to earn a scholly to the #1 ranked public university in the world

the tuesday night rec leagues & saturday playground pick up games are littered with dumb azz ballers who didn't take their academics serious & therefore never earned a scholly

the nba is a cruel biz, every player is one split second violent play/career ending injury away from never playing the game again...the educated guys have options to fulfill their dreams

don't be a dumb azz

gpas matter#
homework matters#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842222381 said:

oscar frayer (2016 alan crabbe jr) & damari milstead (2017 top ranked pg in nor cal) made unofficial visits to berkeley for monday night's bears mauling of denver

oscar & damari also played in an informal pick up game with many of the current bears at the rsf prior to the ohio state fb game in sept

both play for moreau catholic (18-10 last season with a predominantly underclassmen team) & hc frank knight (former all state guard at oakland fremont)

knight is building something special at mc (hayward) with his high expectations for his players both academically & athletically...like justin labagh at ccsf, many of frank knight's players will be well qualified to earn schollys if they work hard & follow his principles of success

"if you want to do something transformative and want to be challenged in the classroom and on the court, then moreau would be a good fit"

-frank knight

go mariners#
cal family#
bay areas finest#
the grind#
unbreakable#

oscar frayer

damari milstead

cal is close to offering oscar frayer (2016) & has offered damari milstead (2017) as travis decuire masterminds the bears shift in building relationships & offering players earlier & earlier

frayer has indicated that playing close to home is a prirority & is an ideal cal fit with teamplaying comments like "everone can get better at something...i just want to work on my game overall...i'm going to work my hardest to do whatever my coach asks me to do"

milstead says "i like the coaching staff, how they play and its close to home...me and oscar, we fit well together...we've played together so long that we both know where the other is and when he wants the ball"

damari & oscar=potential top 50 players & future golden bears

cal family#
bay area's finest#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842208289 said:

former cal pf tony gonzalez on the bears 1996 ncaa sweet sixteen team is the greatest te in the history of the nfl: 13 time all pro selection and nft te leader for most tds (107) & reception yds (14,068)

gonzalez's total nfl earnings are $75+m

tony's wife, october, apparently doesn't like to wear furs...who knew

cal family#
50 yr decision#

former cal power forward tony gonzalez is announcing that this will be his final season in the nfl

apparently tony wants to spend more time with his wife october...

cal (which is very challenging & sometimes a grind) opens doors with the girl of your dreams

Shocky1
6'7" 185 lb 2015 4 star cameron walker & his dad eric ("my wife and i are big on the education front") will be visiting berkeley for an unofficial visit on june 26th

with an academically focused 4.0 gpa, cw is the perfect cal fit as an elite true student athlete & high flying impact player at the 3...cameron is a humble & team oriented player just like the bears last small forward future high nba draft pick alan crabbe & future starter at the 3 jabari bird

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world[ (including southern california)

50 yr decision#

cameron walker with a 4.0 gpa@santa maria's righetti hs & explosive hops is a key 2015 bears recruiting target

cameron has already been offered by half of the pac 12 (including ucla & usc) and says "the academics are always the back up plan...if i don't play basketball professionally, i'm always going to fall back on my grades to have a good career"

the bears staff will be once again scouting walker in person tonight at riordan's crusader classic...it should be mentioned that riordan is literally across the street from ccsf & sami eleraky...what a night, the cal coaches should swing by the wharf for a shrimp sourdough sandwich with a perrier & then get a small chocolate fudge sundae (with a cherry, no whip cream) to go at ghiradelli square while driving with the music cranked to ccsf & riordan...recruiting is fun! (life is whatever you want it to be)

let's roll#
this is cal basketball#

check out this redunkulous block

Shocky1

jordan mathews=denzil washington

"classic overachiever," my azz

squared off shoulders + simple release=scorched earth

cal family#
the grind#
unbreakable#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including the santa monica pier & mexico city)

jonah mathews (2016 6'1" 160 lb guard) scorched harvard-westlake for 41 pts (including a fireworks 6 3 pters) as santa monica (2-0) blitzed the wolverines 85-73

in the vikings 1st game jonah knocked down 17 pts as the vikings conquered local rival palisades 63-55

coach james hecht of sm says "he's special and the best thing is his best basketball is ahead of him"

frank burlison said a yr ago, "jonah is a much more advanced and fluid ball handler than his sibling was as the same point in their development"

big bro jordan said a yr ago "he already wants to come to cal with me"...should be noted that when jordan made his commitment to the bears last yr, the 1st coach he called was travis decuire

phil mathews=no whining allowed, just hard azz competing=dad of the year

cal family#
the grind#
unbreakable#
Shocky1
la times video & article re: del fuego
http://www.latimes.com/sports/varsity-times/la-sp-vi-boys-basketball-sophomore-jonah-mathews-comes-through-with-41-points-20131204,0,6078235.story#axzz2meeEIl9m

jonah mathews=articulate & enthusiastic=cal fit

cal family#

Shocky1
out of africa...to berkeley, california

while bak bak (who is originally from sudan and raised in nairobi, kenya) played a role in visiting with richard moute a bidias (cameroon) at the team banquet at memorial, i agree that it would make sense for rmab to host idrissa diallo (senegal) on his official visit (the critical 2013 bb official visit dates could be the frenzied ohio state fb game weekend in sept)...diallo (who is likely a ucla, usc & cal battle imo) will also visit berkeley this summer with his hs coach william middlebrooks (longtime & well regarded so cal coach w/a longtime friendship with alan crabbe)

like the entire current cal bb team, diallo is an excellent student athelte with a 3.4 gpa...athletically he is as gifted as devon hardin and is the top 2014 bears big man priority (along with thomas welsh, evan fitzer & maybe sami eleraky if he enrolls at sfcc this summer) to join potential mcdonalds all american facilitator/scorer amhaad rorie

what are diallo's longterm goals?

"my goal is to be able to travel back to africa and help people...there are a lot of problems there, things like not enough clean drinking water...i have two sisters and women there aren't always treated well so i want to be able to help them too"

absolutely the best article i have ever read in the daily cal is jonathan kuperberg's feb 13th "morning glory: bak bak's seach for a home" which factually (and emotionally) chronicles bak bak being born in to war and then traversing the globe for survial

in my quest of playing the world's top 100 golf courses, i traveled (a 10 hr nonstop to heathrow followed by another 10 hr flight to cape town) for a 3 week tour of africa

while durban cc is the golfing gem of africa with its wildly natural & undulating fairways (monkeys steal your balls on the 7th fairway) plays thru the bush with views of the indian ocean, the highlight for me of this special day was my caddie "jordan" (wore a chicago bulls cap)...we walked & talked for 36 holes re: music & food with him providing local commentary regarding the then upcoming world cup soccer competition to be hosted by his country...at the end of the rounds, despite the local caddie fee being $9 usd in south african rand currency, i gave jordan my usual caddie payment of $100 usd per round plus my golf shoes (his tennis shoes had holes in them held together by tape) & we shook hands in saying our goodbyes (until we meet again)

while cape town first reminded me of sydney (and auckland) with its sun drenched weather and ocean port city with ultra high end hotels (stayed at the uber lux 12 apostles) backed by a magnificient mountain range (table mountain overlooks nelson mandela's prison island off shore), a visit to a shantytown quickly erases those comparisons

the most exciiting thing i have ever done in my life (thus far) is going on safari at the mala mala resort (which is reached by a small private plane) in kruger national park...being yards away from the "big 5" creatures is beyond words and an experience that everyone with the opportunity to visit africa should not miss

giraffes matter#

former south african president nelson mandela who served 27 yrs in prison for anti-aparthied activities and led his continent into a new era has died at age 95

rip nelson mandela 1918-2013

Shocky1
cameron walker with a 4.0 gpa@santa maria's righetti hs & explosive hops is a key 2015 bears recruiting target

cameron has already been offered by half of the pac 12 (including ucla & usc) and says "the academics are always the back up plan...if i don't play basketball professionally, i'm always going to fall back on my grades to have a good career"

the bears staff will be once again scouting walker in person tonight at riordan's crusader classic...it should be mentioned that riordan is literally across the street from ccsf & sami eleraky...what a night, the cal coaches should swing by the wharf for a shrimp sourdough sandwich with a perrier & then get a small chocolate fudge sundae (with a cherry, no whip cream) to go at ghiradelli square while driving with the music cranked to ccsf & riordan...recruiting is fun! (life is whatever you want it to be)

let's roll#
this is cal basketball#

check out this redunkulous block

cameron walker aggregated 25 pts, 6 boards, 4 assists, 4 steals & 4 redunkulous blocks as righetti (2-0) steamrolled stellar prep (hayward) 65-26...it is not known if cameron signed any autographs after the game and/or turned out the lights

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including santa maria)
ElwoodOski
Shocky1
Shocky1;842205117 said:

you can join any of these sites for only a couple of dollars a month...$ well spent for sure

and no, you can't be our 4th for my next visit w/54 holes at augusta national either

go beers

played this week with bubba watson (the 6 foursomes all played 3 holes with him) at the tpc scottsdale stadium course in a corporate outing

bubba joins our group on the par 5 13th tee & during my pre shot routine of turning 3 times with the driver behind my back he says "woah, woah, what's that all about?"

so i tell him (with the cameras rolling, his round was recorded by a camerman & mic person along with a gopher) that "some of us do yoga, so that way when we play the 10th hole at augusta national we hit it in the fairway instead of 60 yards to the right deep into the woods" (watson won the 2012 masters with a miraculous recovery shot on the 10th hole after a crooked drive)

then i proceed to drop my driver and do a 30 second headstand on the tee box...polite applause from bubba

next tee bubba asks me as i'm moving into my tee shot, "you got a cal hat, are you a hippie?"

i look bubba in the eye and ask him "bubba, being from the south and all, do you think hippies should be allowed to vote?"

flicker of recongition in bubba's eyes that he doesn't have enough game to keep up with me when it comes to trash talking

since everybody else is in golfcarts, bubba & i walked the 3 holes together and i learned the following info:

***he's never had sushi
***he confirmed he resigned from whisper rock because his wife, a 3 handicpap & college vb player, never felt welcomed there
***belongs to estancia in north scottsdale, shot a 61 there the day before
***records his non tour rounds & is a +7.6 handicap
***majored in economics at georgia
***was interested in my becoming the 13th (and youngest) person to play the world's top 100 courses...his favorite course on tour is muirfield village

bubba went eagle, birdie & eagle for the 3 holes

so as we finish up on the island green par 5 15th hole, he asks me in front of the cameras, "hey shocky, i was 5 under for those holes, what were you yoga boy?"

burn

namaste#
NVBear78
Shocky1;842241052 said:

played this week with bubba watson (the 6 foursomes all played 3 holes with him) at the tpc scottsdale stadium course in a corporate outing

bubba joins our group on the par 5 13th tee & during my pre shot routine of turning 3 times with the driver behind my back he says "woah, woah, what's that all about?"

so i tell him (with the cameras rolling, his round was recorded by a camerman & mic person along with a gopher) that "some of us do yoga, so that way when we play the 10th hole at augusta national we hit it in the fairway instead of 60 yards to the right deep into the woods" (watson won the 2012 masters with a miraculous recovery shot on the 10th hole after a crooked drive)

then i proceed to drop my driver and do a 30 second headstand on the tee box...polite applause from bubba

next tee bubba asks me as i'm moving into my tee shot, "you got a cal hat, are you a hippie?"

i look bubba in the eye and ask him "bubba, being from the south and all, do you think hippies should be allowed to vote?"

flicker of recongition in bubba's eyes that he doesn't have enough game to keep up with me when it comes to trash talking

since everybody else is in golfcarts, bubba & i walked the 3 holes together and i learned the following info:

***he's never had sushi
***he confirmed he resigned from whisper rock because his wife, a 3 handicpap & college vb player, never felt welcomed there
***belongs to estancia in north scottsdale, shot a 61 there the day before
***records his non tour rounds & is a +7.6 handicap
***majored in economics at georgia
***was interested in my becoming the 13th (and youngest) person to play the world's top 100 courses...his favorite course on tour is muirfield village

bubba went eagle, birdie & eagle for the 3 holes

so as we finish up on the island green par 5 15th hole, he asks me in front of the cameras, "hey shocky, i was 5 under for those holes, what were you yoga boy?"

burn

namaste#

Ha ha Shocky, and you thought he couldnt hang with your trash talk. Great story, thanks for the smile
NVGolfingBear
Shocky, you're killing me...

Years ago I was a '0' handicap playing with a regular group of excellent players. I can't comprehend how good +7.6 index is. There are physical limits to the game though over the years they have expanded greatly. But +7.6 is ... wow!
berkeleyhigh91
Great story. Way to represent.
socaltownie
Yoga Boy. Please admins - let him change his handle ;-)
Shocky1
interesting times in santa barbara flying in this evening (the thunderdome is literally 5 minutes from the airport)... have you ever been on a cal road trip where the tsa females at the airport were better looking than the home team's cheerleaders?...for the record, the smokin hot airport security senoritas in lisbon (portugal) son numero uno en todo el mundo

basketball is a team game, the cal bb team lost tonight

the game started with santa barbara packing it in with a zone d...mind you this was not a syracuse zone with insane athletes...ricky, justin & t-wall hesitated to take the open 3 pters & also did not attack the seams instead just flipping the ball pointlessly around the perimeter which resulted in turnovers and off balance shots as the 35 second clock expired...at that pt the coaching staff failed to get jordan mathews into the game immediately, jm ain't ever met an open shot he didn't like

jordan is mentally the toughest bear in cal's monster class...mathews scored 22 pts (including 4-9 on 3 pters with several bombs from nba distance) with 5 boards & zero turnovers in his 1st road game on a hostile floor...it is interesting to note that the staff member he interacts/confers with most during timeouts is cal's all time 3 pt leader, theo robertson

to be honest with you, the bears could've used zone busters amhaad rorie & jonah mathews tonight

solo & doc kravish were pushed around not just by "big" al williams (not a nba talent but will be a successful pro overseas) but more disappointingly by the other ucsb big men who played like their hairs were on fire...both david & richard fumbled with the ball all night & did not display their usual soft hands

a plus was the best yet competing for the ball by kameron rooks & his hustle up/down the floor...kameron's signficant strides in conditioning under scott thom are remarkable & bodes well for his future potential improvement as it reflects his work ethic and passion

during the final 10 minutes jabari bird's man hustled by him for a backdoor basket which resulted in him being substituted out of the game...sitting right behind the cal bench (a tix in my world merely means i can walk thru the front door of an event with no requirement to actually sit in the assigned seat) i saw a little slice of cal growing pains take place

a minute later monty came over to jabari and kneeled in front of him and put his hands on jb's knees and calmly talked to him...i'm not gonna repeat the conversation but the word defense was mentioned by mike...jb did not return to the game...in watching him on the bench i have never seen such a pained looking player that was not physically injured...he put his head between his knees with his eyes closed while literally every teammate slapped him on the back with encouragement...everybody wants to be your friend when you are a world champion, you find out who your real friends are when the house in burning

no more dumb azz cee lo greens pictures from me...jabari bird has the heart of a champion & he will learn and improve from this hostile road game experience...the definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing over and over & expecting a different outcome...the ball is in jabari's court

this game was like the football opener 3 seasons ago on a freezing cold azz night in nevada...a classic trap game...a highly talented & well coached mid major school with chips on their shoulders relentlessly competing vs a pac 12 team on their home court/field in front of their respect hungry fans...after the game the gaucho players jumped into the stands and high fived & sang songs with their fellow students

a bears bb donor told me after the game, "this cal team is not good enough to coast and win"...he's right

cal family#
First Page Last Page
Page 53 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.