cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,261,930 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BearGreg
tsubamoto2001
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shocky1;842062385 said:

r90-good pt about kr's height...7'3" would definitely work for monty & co.

but we can't wait for even summer bridge for kr to improve his physique & conditioning...needs to start happening NOW

sm told kr that he wanted to redshirt him next year...the bears do not have that luxury with our bigs

lean cuisine dinner & a few sprints in the park tonight with mom & dad...just sayin'

I'd like to see KRooks improve his explosiveness as much as he could, also. Maybe do some Plyometrics and other things that develop fast-twitch muscles. And watch tape on Omar Samhan from his SMC days, also.
smokeyrover
Shocky1;842062385 said:

r90-good pt about kr's height...7'3" would definitely work for monty & co.

but we can't wait for even summer bridge for kr to improve his physique & conditioning...needs to start happening NOW

sm told kr that he wanted to redshirt him next year...the bears do not have that luxury with our bigs

lean cuisine dinner & a few sprints in the park tonight with mom & dad...just sayin'

Would love to see KR train with MSF.
Shocky1
even superman has rough days dept:

j bird limited to only 13 pts (3-5 fts, no 3 pters) as salesian (13-3) defeated a strong el cerrito gauchos team 61-50

jb had a technical foul & fouled out

ouch
Shocky1
in a classy move hc claude grubair rested all floridian sam singer as ransom everglades (16-2) still destroyed an overmatched mast academy 72-40

ss is a legitimate 6'5" and will be enrolling at cal this summer to begin preparing for the 2013/2014 season...he is a gym rat with a passion for self improvement

sam's strong friendship with alonzo mourning III may factor into his recruitment...amIII is currently 6'91/2", a good student and his family is looking for the best fit & not just necessairly georgetown...due to an injury, he has played just 6 games his jr season with recent games of 17 & 19 boards including an incredible 10 blocks in one game

ransom everglades team will travel to berkeley again this summer which will allow the raiders to reunite with ss and also allow the cal coaching staff a better 1st hand view of a healthy amIII

go raiders
R90
Shocky1;842063369 said:

in a classy move hc claude grubair rested all floridian sam singer as ransom everglades (16-2) still destroyed an overmatched mast academy 72-40

ss is a legitimate 6'5" and will be enrolling at cal this summer to begin preparing for the 2013/2014 season...he is a gym rat with a passion for self improvement

sam's strong friendship with alonzo mourning III may factor into his recruitment...amIII is currently 6'91/2", a good student and his family is looking for the best fit & not just necessairly georgetown...due to an injury, he has played just 6 games his jr season with recent games of 17 & 19 boards including an incredible 10 blocks in one game

ransom everglades team will travel to berkeley again this summer which will allow the raiders to reunite with ss and also allow the cal coaching staff a better 1st hand view of a healthy amIII

go raiders

Good info, Shocky1. Thanks.

After another easy game tonight, Ransom Everglades has one of its toughest games of the season coming up on Friday:

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/ransom-everglades-raiders-(miami,fl)/basketball/schedule.htm

Getting Trey Mourning would be amazing. I found a couple fun youtube videos of his dad while searching for video of Trey.

Scoring 50 against 7'7" Gheorghe Muresan:
(Now there's a banger with good hands for you.)

Playing HORSE with the national high school player of the year:

(Seems like a natural teacher, which has to have helped his son and probably Singer too.)
calumnus
Shocky1;842062388 said:

as a voice of solidarity with kr, i will forego five guys and in&out burger this week (sam singer has no idea what i am talking about)

berkeley food>>>miami food (other than stone crabs)

Agree, though I'd put up Dungeness against Stone. However, I do like Cuban food....

A cubano sandwich with cubano coffee is fine by me...

There are places in America with worse food options than Miami, but Berkeley rocks!
Shocky1
all american jabari bird returned to form and scored 21 pts (2-2 fts and 1 3pter) w/6 boards & 4 assists as salesian (14-3) went on the road to beat a kiddless st jospeh notre dame pilots 56-43

in the freezing northwest amhaad rorie heated it up for 26 with mostly perimeter jumpers and a blazing 4-7 from 3 pt land as lincoln (12-1) also won a road game 84-46 at mt tahoma

ar is gonna love california weather
Shocky1
scoring machine jordan matthews blistered the nets for 37 pts as santa monica (14-4) traveled over to rodeo drive to dump the beverly hills normans (what's a norman?...should be changed to the boob jobs) 63-62 in a thrillah

an energized kameron rooks scored 26 pts & ran the floor as mission hills (14-3) defeated san dieguito academy 62-43 on the road

the 2013 monster class of bird, matthews, singer & (k)rooks plus 2014 distributor/scorer rorie needs a big forward or two...perhaps highly skilled evan fitzner and/or emerging alonzo mourning III will join the 2014 bears...no doubt, the potential #1 player for 2015 superstar bod's ivan rabb (grandfather is a longtime bears fan) will enjoy playing at haas during the mlk classic monday which will also feature salesian vs dls (az's pitts)

dominoes baby#

the university of california, berkelely=#1 ranked public university in the world
Shocky1
sam singer scored 23 pts, 9 boards, 5 assists & a slam dunk that brought down the house in just a little more than 2 quarters as ransom evergaldes (17-2) rolled by terra enivornmental 79-40

this friday will be re's toughest game of the year (along with their earlier loss to south miami) as they play berkeley prep (16-2) at the mlk classic in ft lauderdale

game on
LOUMFSG2
Shocky1;842064262 said:

this friday will be re's toughest game of the year (along with their earlier loss to south miami) as they play berkeley prep (16-2) at the mlk classic in ft lauderdale...

I'm sure Shocky will have more details, but looks like Ransom beat Berkley prep, and Sam scored 30 pts in the game (per twitter) . . .

REraiderreport ‏@REraiderreport
Boys Varsity Basketball with huge win vs a ranked Tampa Berkley Prep (Singer with 30pts)
R90
https://twitter.com/samsinger123

3h Sam Singer ‏@samsinger123
Huge win vs number 2 team in state Tampa Berkley. Love this team. #16-2 #rebball #weallwegot @trey_mourning @nickstern12 @wocreb @Khambrel21
Expand

First thing he needs to learn in summer bridge is how to spell "Berkeley." Then again, I don't think I learned how to spell it right until my junior or senior year at Cal.
Shocky1
good stuff, lou & r90 re: sizzling sam singer

ransom everglades (18-2) beat highly ranked berkeley prep (tampa) 61-51 at the mlk classic at one of florida's spring break hotspots with sam singer leading the way with 30 pts (including 3 3 pters) & 6 assists...jr alonzo mourning III played big too with 15 pts, 12 boards & 5 blocks

as mentioned elsewhere by r90, thru jan 15th in miami dade county, ss is 1st in scoring with 27.7 ppg, 3rd in rebounding with 10.4 rpg and 3rd in assists with 6 apg...amIII is 2nd in rebounding with 12.3 rpg

kameron rooks had game high 23 pts & 11 boards as mission hills (16-3) knocked off escondido 62-47 on the road

also in san diego, 2014 bears offered highly skilled big man (ryan anderson jr) evan fitzner lit it up for 25 pts as parker beat the bishop's school 71-55...really think ef's final decision will be a cal/stanford battle based upon his family's emphasis upon academics...his dad played bb at stanford but not sure ef's 3.00 gpa will get him accepted on the farm...wild card will be usc although it is possible ph will hire another hc with a drinking problem who relentlessly recruits disgrunted transfers from across the nation

amhaad rorie continued his del fuego shooting in beautiful iceland with 24 pts as lincoln (13-1) beat timberline 70-60 as the abes made 8-17 3 pters

jabari bird scored an unselfish 13 pts (4-4 fts & 1 3pter with a silky stroke like his old man carl) as salesian (15-3) defeated st marys 61-45 as jb led a stiffling pride d in the 2nd q allowing only 1 fg
Civil Bear
R90;842065323 said:

https://twitter.com/samsinger123

3h Sam Singer ‏@samsinger123
Huge win vs number 2 team in state Tampa Berkley. Love this team. #16-2 #rebball #weallwegot @trey_mourning @nickstern12 @wocreb @Khambrel21
Expand

Great to hear he is doing well against the stiffer competition. Thanks!
HoopDreams
shocky and R90 --- you're providing a great public service. Keep them coming.

Our incoming class looks awesome, and I think all 3 guards will get on the floor and be impact players in their first year.

Shocky1;842065393 said:

good stuff, lou & r90 re: sizzling sam singer

ransom everglades (18-2) beat highly ranked berkeley prep (tampa) 61-51 at the mlk classic at one of florida's spring break hotspots with sam singer leading the way with 30 pts (including 3 3 pters) & 6 assists...jr alonzo mourning III played big too with 15 pts, 12 boards & 5 blocks

as mentioned elsewhere by r90, thru jan 15th in miami dade county, ss is 1st in scoring with 27.7 ppg, 3rd in rebounding with 10.4 rpg and 3rd in assists with 6 apg...amIII is 2nd in rebounding with 12.3 rpg

kameron rooks had game high 23 pts & 11 boards as mission hills (16-3) knocked off escondido 62-47 on the road

also in san diego, 2014 bears offered highly skilled big man (ryan anderson jr) evan fitzner lit it up for 25 pts as parker beat the bishop's school 71-55...really think ef's final decision will be a cal/stanford battle based upon his family's emphasis upon academics...his dad played bb at stanford but not sure ef's 3.00 gpa will get him accepted on the farm...wild card will be usc although it is possible ph will hire another hc with a drinking problem who relentlessly recruits disgrunted transfers from across the nation

amhaad rorie continued his del fuego shooting in beautiful iceland with 24 pts as lincoln (13-1) beat timberline 70-60 as the abes made 8-17 3 pters

jabari bird scored an unselfish 13 pts (4-4 fts & 1 3pter with a silky stroke like his old man carl) as salesian (15-3) defeated st marys 61-45 as jb led a stiffling pride d in the 2nd q allowing only 1 fg
Shocky1
jordan matthews filled it up with 33 pts as santa monica (15-4) won a road game 67-50 at morningside
Shocky1
#1 ranked player for 2015 ivan rabb scored 24 pts and wiped the glass for 13 boards as he led bod (15-3) to a 80-71 victory over sacramento at the mlk classic at haas...monty sr sat courtside and asked ivan the good for his autograph after the game...hope mr cranky pants also chatted with ir's grandfather, a longtime bears bb fan

a perhaps slightly under the weather j bird scored 10 pts including a key 3 pter with 58 seconds left ("i needed to do something") as salesian (16-3) came from behind to beat dls 47-43 in a game with california rankings/seedings implications

kameron rooks coasted to 16 pts & 8 rebounds as mission hills (17-3) took care of business against lincoln 55-35
kc1121
Rabb would be another awesome kid to keep local
R90
35 points for Singer tonight in a game between two solid teams.
Booker T. Washington was 17-3 going in.
Ransom Everglades was 16-2, now 17-2 (+2 wins in "pre-season" games).

Tweets
3h Andre Fernandez ‏@AndreMHsports
Ransom beats Booker T. 84-59.

2h SFHS Sports ‏@SFHSSports
Final Stats: Singer (RAN) 35 pts, 10 reb, 7 ast Spiller (BTW) 23 pts, 5 reb Mourning III (RAN) 13 pts, 9 reb Roach (RAN) 15 pts, 10 reb
HoopDreams
...that Singer is under-rated.

Either that, or the competition he is playing against is poor. For a guard who isn't getting the majority of points off a drive to be averaging that many points is rare. His coach says he does it every night, even against good competition.

Of course he might not have the quickness to make his own shot in college, and maybe he doesn't defend well, but he's got size and PG skills, so I gotta believe he can contribute at the high D1 level.

Sounds to me that he should be a top 150 guy, but of course, we will see....

R90;842067642 said:

35 points for Singer tonight in a game between two solid teams.
Booker T. Washington was 17-3 going in.
Ransom Everglades was 16-2, now 17-2.

Tweets
3h Andre Fernandez ‏@AndreMHsports
Ransom beats Booker T. 84-59.

2h SFHS Sports ‏@SFHSSports
Final Stats: Singer (RAN) 35 pts, 10 reb, 7 ast Spiller (BTW) 23 pts, 5 reb Mourning III (RAN) 13 pts, 9 reb Roach (RAN) 15 pts, 10 reb
R.Hobbs
According to sourcehoops.com, the FABC poll ( I assume Florida Association of basketball coaches) has Tampa Berkeley ranked #2 in the 4A poll, Booker T. #6, and and Singer's school, Ransom Everglades #7. Singer has hung 30 plus on both Berkeley and Booker T. So I think we can assume the competition has been legitimate. For me, I can't wait to see this kid play for the Bears.
R90
R.Hobbs;842067743 said:

According to sourcehoops.com, the FABC poll ( I assume Florida Association of basketball coaches) has Tampa Berkeley ranked #2 in the 4A poll, Booker T. #6, and and Singer's school, Ransom Everglades #7. Singer has hung 30 plus on both Berkeley and Booker T. So I think we can assume the competition has been legitimate. For me, I can't wait to see this kid play for the Bears.

CLASS 4A
RANK SCHOOL CITY RECORD
1 Lake Highland Prep Orlando 10-5
2 Berkeley Prep Tampa 14-1
3 Cardinal Gibbons Ft. Lauderdale 9-1
4 Bishop Verot Fort Myers 8-6
5 Archbishop Carroll Miami 14-4
6 Booker T. Washington Miami 12-3
7 Ransom Everglades Miami 11-2
8 East Gadsden Havana 7-1
9 Tampa Catholic Tampa 10-5
10 Pine Crest Ft. Lauderdale 11-5

Ransom apparently was without Alonzo Mourning III for many of those games. Since then, Ransom has won its last 6, beating #2 by 10 and #6 by 25.

The #1 team, Lake Highland Prep, beat #2 78-72 and features Joel Berry at Point Guard, 4-star #22 overall (rivals) or 5-star #12 overall (ESPN) in the 2014 class, who has committed to North Carolina and averages 27.8 ppg.

Singer has been more assertive lately as a scorer with the team working toward a state championship.
ccajon
R90;842067757 said:

CLASS 4A
RANK SCHOOL CITY RECORD
Ransom apparently was without Alonzo Mourning III for many of those games. Since then, Ransom has won its last 6, beating #2 by 10 and #6 by 25.

Just curious, is AM III on our radar screen? Be nice to get him with Rorie already in the fold.
R90
ccajon;842067932 said:

Just curious, is AM III on our radar screen? Be nice to get him with Rorie already in the fold.

Yes he is. Yes it would.
sluggo_Cal
HoopDreams;842067706 said:

...that Singer is under-rated.

Either that, or the competition he is playing against is poor. For a guard who isn't getting the majority of points off a drive to be averaging that many points is rare. His coach says he does it every night, even against good competition.

Of course he might not have the quickness to make his own shot in college, and maybe he doesn't defend well, but he's got size and PG skills, so I gotta believe he can contribute at the high D1 level.

Sounds to me that he should be a top 150 guy, but of course, we will see....

I think you are right. His skills looks great on video, and he is putting up crazy numbers against top competition (as well as against lesser competition). Reminds me of Casey Jacobsen. Wish real game video was available.

Sluggo
FrankCohen
sluggo_Cal;842067991 said:

I think you are right. His skills looks great on video, and he is putting up crazy numbers against top competition (as well as against lesser competition). Reminds me of Casey Jacobsen. Wish real game video was available.

Sluggo

Agreed. I really think Singer's going to be a stud for us.
concordtom
FrankCohen;842068007 said:

Agreed. I really think Singer's going to be a stud for us.

You just don't hear of kids putting up #'s like that often. I am going to buy the hype on Singer.

While stats aren't always the best telling indicator, we've had some recent recruits that put up very weak #'s and it has translated, so far.
When Monty was asked in his recent interview (video posted online) whether either of the two kids who are redshirting could end up coming in to help he shrugged his shoulders and said "they can't play". And then said that they play inside anyways, so it wouldn't help because they are behind Bak in the rotation (and we know he hardly ever gets in), while what we really need is perimeter help.
Wow. Then why did you bother to recruit them?
Howland was eventually asked such questions by a more brazen LA press, and he did ultimately answer such questions pointedly, saying mistakes were made. I wonder if we'll ever get to that here. When you come right out and say "they can't play", wow.
sluggo_Cal
concordtom;842068349 said:

While stats aren't always the best telling indicator, we've had some recent recruits that put up very weak #'s and it has translated, so far.
When Monty was asked in his recent interview (video posted online) whether either of the two kids who are redshirting could end up coming in to help he shrugged his shoulders and said "they can't play". And then said that they play inside anyways, so it wouldn't help because they are behind Bak in the rotation (and we know he hardly ever gets in), while what we really need is perimeter help.
Wow. Then why did you bother to recruit them?

First, Frid is a walkon so nothing should be expected of him. At his height he should at least be a good practice player. Second, I am not sure he did recruit them. He may have just outsourced recruiting. The scholarship guys who can't play all had terrible video. I can't believe someone as smart as Monty could see those videos and still think those guys could play. I am excluding Rodriguez who had no video, but it is frightening that he was redshirted because he could not crack the rotation rather than say to get stronger for future years. Third, it is delusional to say that only perimeter help is needed.

Sluggo
Shocky1
sam singer comments after scoring 35 pts against highly florida ranked booker t washington:

"we had circled this game on the calendar as one of the big games we felt we needed to win. we came out with a lot of energy early and hit big shots. we are a more balanced scoring team with (amIII) in the lineup and he helps so much with the way he can affect shots defensively"

amIII sustained a fractured finger earlier this season and ransom everglades is 10-0 with both ss and amIII in the lineup together...his coach told me he is a legit 6'91/2" & mobile

notice in the singer quotes he never mentioned himself or used the word i

classy kid & a winner
R90
Shocky1;842068447 said:

sam singer comments after scoring 35 pts against highly florida ranked booker t washington:

"we had circled this game on the calendar as one of the big games we felt we needed to win. we came out with a lot of energy early and hit big shots. we are a more balanced scoring team with (amIII) in the lineup and he helps so much with the way he can affect shots defensively"

Full article: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/01/23/3195890/singers-35-points-propel-ransom.html
Shocky1
sharp shooting facilitator amhaad rorie scored 18 pts (and fed fletch for 26 pts) as lincoln (14-1) played stiffling d in a lopsided 71-35 beatdown of visiting north thurston

j bird scored a quiet 10 pts (4-4 fts, does he ever miss?) as salesian (17-3) beat st patrick/st vincent 56-48 in a surpirsingly close game on the road
tsubamoto2001
Shocky1;842068536 said:

sharp shooting facilitator amhaad rorie scored 18 pts (and fed fletch for 26 pts) as lincoln (14-1) played stiffling d in a lopsided 71-35 beatdown of visiting north thurston

j bird scored a quiet 10 pts (4-4 fts, does he ever miss?) as salesian (17-3) beat st patrick/st vincent 56-48 in a surpirsingly close game on the road

Bird has been facing a lot of box-and-ones and gimmick defenses. He made a comment on his twitter that he can't wait to get to college, where he won't have to deal with that stuff. He's right and he'll have a heck of a wing partner next season, whether it's Crabbe or Wallace.
Shocky1
da bears are the early favorite (his words, not mine) for 2015 #1 ranked player/ future mcdonalds all american ivan rabb as monty sr is personally taking the lead in ir's recruitment...family matters...ivan scored 11 pts (1-4 fts) with limited pt as bod (17-3) overwhelmed hayward 83-38

tough night for the rest of the future young bears:

j bird limited to 8 pts (2 fgs & 4-4 fts) as salesian (18-3) whipped pinole valley 64-39

kameron rooks scored only 11 pts as mission hills (17-4) lost 66-62 to his mom susie's former hs san marcos

amhaad rorie held to a season low 8 pts on 3-13 shooting from the field as the lincoln abes (14-2) lost in the last minute 45-41 to bellarmine prep as sr fletch (and not ar) took the final designed play shot and missed which resulted in a foul and 2 more bp fts

great players are going to be schemed against, double and triple teamed at times, etc...just part of the game, gotta play harder without any drama...the bears monster class will not be denied, will not quit
sluggo_Cal
Shocky1;842069802 said:

da bears are the early favorite (his words, not mine) for 2015 #1 ranked player/ future mcdonalds all american ivan rabb as monty sr is personally taking the lead in ir's recruitment...family matters...ivan scored 11 pts (1-4 fts) with limited pt as bod (17-3) overwhelmed hayward 83-38

Hopefully he wants to stay home. Reading this I was curious how he plays. I was shocked. He is unbelievable, great footwork, real skills, plays with both hands, amazing athleticism. . Is he old enough to re-classify? I am joking, sort of.

Sluggo
Shocky1
jordan matthews scored 20 pts but could not lead his team to victory as santa monica (16-5) was upset by compton 57-54
smokeyrover
Clips of Rooks from a recent game:
First Page Last Page
Page 7 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.