cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,255,995 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BearGreg
parentswerebears
How long do you want to ignore this user?
When they are seniors...
Shocky1
so i'm leaving the mgm arena after the cal game & i see an overweight dude wearing an asu t shirt whose looking for a tix last nite to the sun devils vs stanford game

so i tell him i have a 4th row tix for the rest of the games including the championship...he says how much?...i tell him this is no big deal, just give me a couple of bucks

mr asu tells me he isn't sure what a fair price is, he's almost arguing/negotiating with me when i'm trying to just basically just give me a pass to all the pac 12 games for almost nothing...cal is gone from the tnt, i don't need these tixs

so finally a scalper overhears me & hands me some $...i don't even check to see how much $ it is or break stride walking & just hand him the pac 12 pass, not a word exchanged between us

mr asu is just looking at both of us, he can't believe the deal has been done

moral of the story: some people are just too stooopid to know a good deal in life, they would prefer to be cynical & unhappy

so my buddy slim wadie watches me win $4800 at the war table in under 3 minutes last nite telling me it's a game for dumb azzs & then today we played shadow creek i won our match with a 9 iron to 3 inches for a tap in birdie on the par 3 17th hole in a come from behind victory

winners move forward in life & continue to compete & work hard, losers just bitch & moan and throw pity parties for their sorry broken down azzs

cal family#
Shocky1

"i always respect single mothers a lot...particularly my own"-ahmaad rorie

mom matters#
cal family#

"i could care less about a hater, as long as my momma loves me"-ahmaad rorie
Shocky1

bis bald jakob poeltl

academics:
***university of utah: 143rd ranked university in the world, 82.6% acceptance rate
*****university of california, berkeley: #1 ranked public university in the world

career opportunities after basketball:
***university of utah: lead singer in the mormon choir
*****university of california, berkeley: anything, anywhere, anytime on planet earth (international business)

street in salt lake city, utah

street in san francisco bay area, california

utah centers
*****dallin bachynsiki, junior, 7' 258 lbs
*****jeremy olsen, sophomore, 6'10" 232 lbs
*****marko kovacevic, junior, 6'11" 217 lbs

california centers
*****richard solomon, senior (graduating), 6'10" 235 lbs pac 12 rebounding leader w/10 rpg
*****kameron rooks, freshmen (injured for rest of season), 7' 258 lbs

utah girls

california girls
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xdoo7w_katy-perry-featuring-snoop-dogg-cal_music

50 year decision#

utah blinked

the utes have accepted a commitment from jc (3 to play 3) chris reyes, a 6'7" pf who will join brekkott chapman (roy, utah) & isiah wright (boise, idaho) in salt lake city

utah is now at 14 schollys (one over the ncca maximum limit of 13) for next season...if delon wright (58.6% fgs, 15.7 ppg, 6.8 rpg & 5.2 apg) declares for the nba draft, then the utes bb roster will be balanced...if wright doesn't depart, a current scholly player will be asked to leave the program

there currently is not an additional utah scholly available for poeltl without asking another player to leave the program in order to create a spot for jakob

cal, on the other hand, is currently at 11 scholly players for next season with mike & the staff looking to sign 1 more player for 2014 & leave 1 scholly open for a potential transfer opportunity

jakob is a huge priority for the cal bb program
parentswerebears
So, when does he declare for Cal? And do we have someone in mind as a transfer. Or are we waiting for the gods to show us the anointed one?
SFBearz
Reyes committed to Utah over a week ago so I'm assuming they told Poeltl there is still a spot for him.
89Bear
parentswerebears;842293092 said:

So, when does he declare for Cal? And do we have someone in mind as a transfer. Or are we waiting for the gods to show us the anointed one?

Purdue guard announced he was leaving their program today...
Shocky1
SFBearz;842293106 said:

Reyes committed to Utah over a week ago so I'm assuming they told Poeltl there is still a spot for him.

correct, coach krystkowiak & staff have told poeltl that they will get rid of 2 current utah bb student athletes (if wright doesn't declare for the nba draft) in order to create scholly space for him

"jakob is a huge priority for the cal bb program"

There it is......................the kiss of death..............

He'll be rooming with Sam E.
Shocky1
chance comanche in an elite 6'11" prospect at the 5 with offers from many of the collegiate powerhouses (athletically not academically)...will this be a pure bb or well rounded student athlete decision?

chance started receiving letters from the cal bb coaching staff while in the 9th grade & monty scouted comanche at one of his hs games during the bear's recent roadtrip to smogsville

chance's mom melissa mcgee was an all american at long beach state & understands the recruiting process and will help her son filter thru the barrage of promises from different bb coaches

s&c guru scott thom could be the x factor in chance's recruitment

following up on chase & his mom's unofficial visit to berkeley for justin cobb's ice in his veins buzzer beating money shot over the then #1 ranked arizona, gregg gottlieb scouted/showed love to chase comanche in la last nite as the view park knights (21-5) jousted the central city value jaguars 97-27 (not a typo)

despite weighing less than 200 lbs, chase's length which allows him to play longer than his height, remarkably quick reactions & shot blocking skills has earned him actionable offers from cal, arizona & numerous other programs

after the arizona victory, melissa mcgee noted that "the academic part went above and beyond...i think the style of play would fit my son well...the academics and the coaching, player development wise, probably spoke the most to me as a parent"

chase comanche scored 22 pts with 10-16 fgs + 2-2 fts & 13 boards, 4 blocks & 2 steals as the view park knights (23-5) said good night 63-48 to the santa clarita christian cardinals in the cif playoffs

mom matters#
50 yr decision#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including los angeles)
Shocky1
taking the oakland airport rental car center shuttle to the terminal after the colorado victory i saw a guy wearing a cal hat so i asked him how he returned his car so quickly since i basically burned rubber in my red (sigh) avis mustang after sprinting out of haas

he laughed & doug mitchell, the successful bb hc at bishop montgomery, told me that like myself he flew in & out to celebrate the sr day festivities for his 2 former knights, justin cobbs & richard solomon...he's proud of both guys (even though solo transferred for his sr yr to price because of a disagreement...both rich & his dad disagreed with mitchell's assessment that solo was a 5, they felt he would be more effective as a stretch 4 or even a big shooting wing 3) & respects their academic achievements...doug mitchell gets it, he's not some dumb azz street agent trying to hook his players up at bb factories (where they are used up like equipment & discarded with shaky futures)

doug mitchell told me that 6'3" 2015 shooting guard stephen thompson jr has a 4.5 gpa (he is competing to become class valedictorian) & has shot 42% on 3 pters & 72% on fts this season for the 24-6 knights...he says stephen is a high character young man & needs to make s&c strides to reach his vast potential

both travis decuire & gregg gottlieb are running pt on thompson's recruitment who has offers from vanderbilt, usc, gonzaga, creighton, asu, san diego state, colorado, boston college, etc.

thompson's dad was a star at syracuse & later played in the nba (guys who played in the league understand that the nba is a cruel biz & that a player's career can end in a split second injury)

because of the thompson's family huge emphasis upon academics, mitchell thinks that at the end of the day this will be a cal vs stanford decision

sharpshooter stephen thompson jr lasered the nets for a career high 32 pts as the bishop montgomery knight (25-6) jousted the oaks christian lions 78-59 in the cif playoffs
Shocky1
the utah valley state wolverines have some pretty fired up true fans

true fans are, you know, people who actually go to bb games & create energy, not sleepwalking zombies who watch all the games on tv with their computers on their laps so they can pontificate their fascinating insights

not that there's anything wrong with tv fans, mind you, we're not here to judge...every species has its weak link to civilization

Intermezzo
sluggo_Cal;842292445 said:

Good time to let this thread die. This class so far has been anything but monster.

So long as shocky has:

a) a functioning device to connect to the internet
b) functioning internet
c) a continuing pathological need to draw attention to himself, but pretend he is trying to draw it to the players

and this board has moderators who are asleep at the wheel...

This thread will never die.

Easier just to add shocky to the ignore list. Worst insight/word ratio in the entire fanbase. And still has zero idea where the # goes on a hashtag.

This link sums up shocky perfectly:
http://www.postplanner.com/4-ways-to-avoid-being-a-facebook-hashtag-douchebag/
Shocky1
"it was a surprise...my dad told me that they (travis decuire) called him today (sunday)...i really like the school (cal), it's nice and big, they have a great education and it's cool that its my first offer from a big time school"

-damari milstead

damari milstead scored 18 pts as the moreau catholic mariners (26-6) quarantined the encina prep bulldogs 84-49 in the nor cal playoffs
Shocky1
cameron walker 6'7" 185 lbs with a 4.0 gpa@santa maria's righetti hs & explosive hops is a key 2015 bears recruiting target

cw has already been offered by half of the pac 12 (including ucla & usc) and says "the academics are always the back up plan...if i don't play basketball professionally, i'm always going to fall back on my grades to have a good career"

cameron is a true student athlete with an interest in studying kinesiology

walker's dad played bb at cal poly, mom is a school teacher & older bro hunter plays at uc san diego

check out this redunkulous block

cameron visited las vegas to watch the bears in the pac 12 tnt in follow up to his family's visit to berkeley last summer

walker is interested in cal, stanford (no offer), ucla, usc, san diego state, colorado & florida...all of the coaches have offered except dawkins

the bears roster lacks a bouncy 3 with huge hops & length that can rebound, defend, score & facilitate teammates...cal offers the opportunity for potential early pt at the wing

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including santa maria)
Shocky1
ray smith 6'8" 180 lbs is a top 30 2015 cal prospect from las vegas hs

like cameron walker, smith brings +1 athleticism with his length & jumping ability which would likely result in immediate significant pt with the bears...he is an excellent rebounder & plays well above the rim

travis decuire & gregg gottlieb are his lead recruiters...smith was originally scheduled to visit berkeley the weekend of march 8th but had to reschedule

ray's collegiate leaders include cal, arizona, ucla, asu & hometown unlv

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including las vegas)

Shocky1
who says you can't get a grate edukation in utah?

Big C
Intermezzo, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but why did you go to all the trouble to post on this thread?
Shocky1
Big C_Cal;842293849 said:

Intermezzo, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but why did you go to all the trouble to post on this thread?

Bobodeluxe
Big C_Cal;842293849 said:

He might respond, why did you?

Whooze carez?
Shocky1
with the emergence of christian behrens & the steady improvement of kameron rooks along with the continued s&c development of roger moute a bidias, the bears will likely sign 1 more big this spring from among cameron oliver, sami eleraky & matt cimino...while cal could sign 2 more players depending upon how things play out, class size balancing considerations & monty's preference for leaving a scholly open for a potential future transfer, 1 more player is likely to join the 2014 monster class of ahmaad rorie & idrissa diallo

cimino is from falmouth, maine & attends the highly regarded academically worcester academy in mass which is a 3 hr drive from his home...matt rocks a 3.5 gpa & scored 1800 on the sat along with earning a spot on the school's coveted honor roll for the 1st trimester of the 2013-2014 yr

jamie sullivan, the longtime hc at the worcester academy told me that cimino is almost 6'10" & 210 lbs & that he needs to gain an additional 20-25 lbs of muscle to maximize his abilities (scott thom could help cimino create greatness)...sullivan is very knowledgeable of coach montgomery's reputation for developing players & that cimino plays a lot like kravish except that dk is a much better shot blocker

asst coach dan sullivan told me the following cimino stats for the team's first 10 games (team is 5-5 in a very tough league):

15.3 ppg
51% fgs
75+% fts (good stroke)
7.5 rpg
low turnovers (high bb iq)

both coaches told me that cimino is very mature for his age & extremely responsible, "just a great person"...his dad died 6 yrs ago from cancer...his sister ashley played bb at stanford & matt visited berkeley during one of her games at haas...ashley loved her collegiate experience in california & is currently working as a jr marketing mgr in new york

jamie sullivan told me that cimino did not blow up exposure wise because of his unselfish style of play during east coast aau hotdog ball last summer...he has strong interest from cal, wisconsin, boston college, stanford, northwestern, vanderbilt & the ivy leagues along with numerous colleges with strong bb programs/mediocre academics

worcester academy is currently playing 3-4 games a week thru the end of feb so cimino will take his official visits during march...cal will definitely be a player in his recruitment

cimino's twitter indicates that he could take over from hoop dreams & myself in writing this cal monster class thread...he has posts on where's waldo & jason kidd's hot timeout girl...matt seems to be curious, definitely not uptight & with a wicked sense of humor, in essence a strong cal fit

cal family#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including freezing azz new england)

dan sullivan, asst hc at the worcester academy told me that matt cimino scored 28 pts & cleared 8 boards in the hilltoppers (9-14) loss to the tabor academy seawolves...matt is developing a deadly short range jump hook as the hilltoppers play in a highly competitive prep league with most opponents featuring 1-2 d1 prospects...cimino is comfortable playing both inside & outside as well as defending either the 4 or 5

matt has not scheduled any official visits yet but will likely do so for march after their season ends

cal's competition includes indiana (recent cimino quote "i have some pretty serious interest in them...they've been showing me some love the past couple weeks telling me they need a big man...they don't know if noah (vonleh) stays and they just had a transfer so they're kind of running thin on big men"), boston college, virginia, kansas state, george washington, vanderbilt, rhode island, wake forest & virginia tech

cal offers the best combination of world class academics, weather & basketball of these colleges so it's probable that if the bears staff pushes hard for an official visit, a trip to berkeley would likely happen

with jakob poeltl planning to decide in feb, sami eleraky still being scouted by gregg gottlieb & cameron oliver's grades & test scores under consideration, the final bears scholly for the 2014 class is continuing to play out

dan sullivan, asst hc at the worcester academy, called me & told me that matt cimino made a verbal commitment to george washington sun nite

cimino is a talented perimeter shooter & high character student athlete...matt did not have an actionable offer from cal

the bears are still working thru the 2014 monster class gameplan of potentially signing 1 more big & possibly an identified transfer prospect to join ahmaad rorie & idrissa diallo
Shocky1
during labor day weekend of 2010 tony woods beat the crap out of his girlfriend in front of their 8 month old child...woods was arrested and charged with three counts of assault for kicking and pushing courney lorel barbout who suffered a fracture of her spine in the attack

against the 6'11" 250 lbs woods, courney had no chance to protect herself

wake forest did the right thing and suspended woods

so oregon's sleazeball mbb hc dana altman recruited woods to shore up the ducks interior defense

steve alford & dana altman are enablers of players that commit crimes of violence against women if it means they might win a few more games

dana altman is once again relying upon 6 transfers for the ducks 2013 season...2 of these transfers are srs: mike moser & jason calliste

the 2 sr transfers are not student athletes in any sense of the word...moser & calliste will arrive in the fall & then depart that spring with zero academic progress and/or achievement...they are like transients

beyond devaluing the already shaky oregon degree (which is considered a jc caliber education with its 90+% acceptance rate), those players that have worked within the bb program for several yrs are recruited over & benched in favor of guys who don't even know where the library is in eugene

so who else did altman recruit for the 2013 ducks?

*elgin cook, declared ineligible during hs in milwaukee for having a gpa under 2.0
http://themilwaukeedrum.com/2011/02/13/the-tragedy-of-elgin-cook-other-mps-black-student-athletes/

*jordan bell from lbp was declared ineligible before the school yr & will not join the roster until next season

*christiano felicio from brazil was declared ineligible by the ncaa after attending a roseville "prep school" handpicked by altman that is facing allegations of academic fraud & child abuse
http://fox40.com/2013/01/10/roseville-prep-academy-coach-arrested-for-physical-abuse/

bottom line
*****a cal degree helps you move forward in life & marry the girl of your dreams
*an oregon degree helps you get hired as the night shift supervisor at the truck stop in medford & probably marrying a lot lizard

just do it#

the university of central florida's institute for diversity and ethics in sports said in its report monday that eight teams that made the 2014 mbb ncca tnt fall below the ncaa mandated apr (academic progress rate) score of 930 which is equivalent to a 50% graduation rate...these teams are subject to ncaa imposed sanctions that could keep them from future postseason play

oregon's apr is 918

wow, who knew that dana altman doesn't give a **** about education & his player's longterm futures?

this is oregon basketball#
Big C
The difference, Bobo, is that Intermezzo is the one suggesting that this thread should end and/or that shocky be ignored, yet he's taking the time to not ignore it.

I've never suggested any such thing.

"Whooze carez?" Well, you must, or why did YOU respond?

Ha! You thought you got me, but I got you!
NYCGOBEARS
Big C_Cal;842293997 said:

The difference, Bobo, is that Intermezzo is the one suggesting that this thread should end and/or that shocky be ignored, yet he's taking the time to not ignore it.

I've never suggested any such thing.

"Whooze carez?" Well, you must, or why did YOU respond?

Ha! You thought you got me, but I got you!

I blame regression.
Shocky1
my 1st gf at cal (the it dept here refuses to post any fotos of her) who later appeared in the playboy girl's of the pac 10 issue once told me something about life that reasonated with me as one of life's universal truths

she told me "that you are either part of the solution or you are part of the problem, there's nothing in between"

jay john told me that "the meb fund has been in existence for 16 months and through the donations of our donors we have able to upgrade the program...every dollar donated goes to help a meb student athlete in one way or another...for example, monies from the meb have gone to renovate the gold gym in the rsf so mbb, wbb and vb have a branded facility when the has pavilion floor is unavailable...the meb fund has paid for a feasibility study to upgrade the audio visual experience for our fans, i.e. a center hung scoreboard coming in the 2015-2016 season"

"additionally monies have been used for the following upgrades: the player's locker room, video software equipment, new cameras, ipads for all players and staff (to deliver video and academic information), salary bumps for our strength trainer and academic personnel, funding a trip for 50 cal students to the pac 12 tourney in vegas and graphic enhancements in haas pavilion...at some point we will need to renovate our players locker room and lockers also...obviously, the monies are well spent and have directly enhanced the student athlete experience"

benefits include breakfast meetings with monty, preferred tixs to cal home & away games, a bunch of cal swag & another tax deduction

currently there are around 20+ of us supporting the meb...at the #1 public university in the world & the lifetime of opportunities it has created for us, this # show grow to 100+

not everyone is in a position to support the meb but if you can, give jj a call & have a conversation...don't passively wait for others to do the heavy lifting, make a difference

roar a little bit

cal family#

jay john told me that the meb (montgomery excellence in basketball) fund is purchasing tixs for all nit homes that will be distributed free of any cost to cal students

today's cal student bb fans are tomorrow's cal season tix holders & donors

is the time right for you to call jj at the bb's office at 510-642-0361 to discuss your potential participation in the meb fund?

cal family#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842293845 said:

who says you can't get a grate edukation in utah?

why does utah valley state with a 100% acceptance rate have an admissions office?

weird stuff going on in utah#

Shocky1
during labor day weekend of 2010 tony woods beat the crap out of his girlfriend in front of their 8 month old child...woods was arrested and charged with three counts of assault for kicking and pushing courney lorel barbout who suffered a fracture of her spine in the attack

against the 6'11" 250 lbs woods, courney had no chance to protect herself

wake forest did the right thing and suspended woods

so oregon's sleazeball mbb hc dana altman recruited woods to shore up the ducks interior defense

steve alford & dana altman are enablers of players that commit crimes of violence against women if it means they might win a few more games

dana altman is once again relying upon 6 transfers for the ducks 2013 season...2 of these transfers are srs: mike moser & jason calliste

the 2 sr transfers are not student athletes in any sense of the word...moser & calliste will arrive in the fall & then depart that spring with zero academic progress and/or achievement...they are like transients

beyond devaluing the already shaky oregon degree (which is considered a jc caliber education with its 90+% acceptance rate), those players that have worked within the bb program for several yrs are recruited over & benched in favor of guys who don't even know where the library is in eugene

so who else did altman recruit for the 2013 ducks?

*elgin cook, declared ineligible during hs in milwaukee for having a gpa under 2.0
http://themilwaukeedrum.com/2011/02/13/the-tragedy-of-elgin-cook-other-mps-black-student-athletes/

*jordan bell from lbp was declared ineligible before the school yr & will not join the roster until next season

*christiano felicio from brazil was declared ineligible by the ncaa after attending a roseville "prep school" handpicked by altman that is facing allegations of academic fraud & child abuse
http://fox40.com/2013/01/10/roseville-prep-academy-coach-arrested-for-physical-abuse/

bottom line
*****a cal degree helps you move forward in life & marry the girl of your dreams
*an oregon degree helps you get hired as the night shift supervisor at the truck stop in medford & probably marrying a lot lizard

just do it#

the university of central florida's institute for diversity and ethics in sports said in its report monday that eight teams that made the 2014 mbb ncca tnt fall below the ncaa mandated apr (academic progress rate) score of 930 which is equivalent to a 50% graduation rate...these teams are subject to ncaa imposed sanctions that could keep them from future postseason play

oregon's apr is 918

wow, who knew that dana altman doesn't give a **** about education & his player's longterm futures?

this is oregon basketball#

the wall street journal is reporting that current oregon duck mid year transfer brandon austin is being investigated by providence police re: an alleged nov sexual assault
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303287804579447511056437846?mg=reno64-wsj&url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB10001424052702303287804579447511056437846.html

providence did the right thing and dismissed austin (2.6 gpa at a philly hs) before dana altman swooped in to sign another person of interest to the police

of course altman did his usual background check on austin before signing him, "but in talking with their staff, we felt that this was not something of a serious nature and we'd be able to move on from there"

wow

dana altman is a criminal who enables men who commit crimes of violence against women
KenBurnski
First time poster, long time reader! Shocky: Love your enthusiasm and your unique prospective. If possible, can you define "monster class" insofar as expected output at the college level? Thanks in advance.

-KB
HoopDreams
When I heard about the free tixs for students I guessed that there were some generous donors who are passionate about Cal sports doing this

Really cool. Thank you very much

Shocky1;842294087 said:

jay john told me that "the meb fund has been in existence for 16 months and through the donations of our donors we have able to upgrade the program...every dollar donated goes to help a meb student athlete in one way or another...for example, monies from the meb have gone to renovate the gold gym in the rsf so mbb, wbb and vb have a branded facility when the has pavilion floor is unavailable...the meb fund has paid for a feasibility study to upgrade the audio visual experience for our fans, i.e. a center hung scoreboard coming in the 2015-2016 season"

"additionally monies have been used for the following upgrades: the player's locker room, video software equipment, new cameras, ipads for all players and staff (to deliver video and academic information), salary bumps for our strength trainer and academic personnel, funding a trip for 50 cal students to the pac 12 tourney in vegas and graphic enhancements in haas pavilion...at some point we will need to renovate our players locker room and lockers also...obviously, the monies are well spent and have directly enhanced the student athlete experience"

benefits include breakfast meetings with monty, preferred tixs to cal home & away games, a bunch of cal swag & another tax deduction

currently there are around 20+ of us supporting the meb...at the #1 public university in the world & the lifetime of opportunities it has created for us, this # show grow to 100+

not everyone is in a position to support the meb but if you can, give jj a call & have a conversation...don't passively wait for others to do the heavy lifting, make a difference

jay john told me that the meb (montgomery excellence in basketball) fund is purchasing tixs for all nit homes that will be distributed free of any cost to cal students

today's cal student bb fans are tomorrow's cal season tix holders & donors

is the time right for you to call jj at the bb's office at 510-642-0361 to discuss your potential participation in the meb fund?

cal family#
Bobodeluxe
"free trips" - that brings back memories of a different time
Shocky1
Bobodeluxe;842294193 said:

"free trips" - that brings back memories of a different time

i dunno, maybe i should go ask alice, i think she'll know

peace

Shocky1
student athlete ivan rabb scored 14 pts with 13 boards & 2 blocks as the bod dragons (27-4) fireballed sir richard midgley's modesto christian crusaders (24-9) 74-51 in the cif nor cal open division semifinals

Bobodeluxe
Shocky1;842294195 said:

i dunno, maybe i should go ask alice, i think she'll know

peace

It's been many decades, but this young lady nicely evokes the late '60's. I would trade places with the youngsters here, of course, but the pre-AIDS era was something else
At least until disco happened.
Shocky1
original monsters + monster class=cal family

where the monsters are#

l to r, jeff "let it fly" powers, jordan "en fuego" mathews, justin "ice in his veins" cobbs, david "what not to wear" kravish, jabari "alcatraz" bird

guys having fun during fashion week in berkeley

honestly, richard "gonna wear ugly azz sweatpants" solomon could learn a few style pts from bruno mars

gq#
20 wins#
Shocky1
so i fly in this morning from scottsdale with my daughter shay & her friend katie, drop them off at fisherman's wharf for the afternoon & arrive late in berkeley close to game time...don't even look at my will call tix (in my world, a tix to any event has no correlation to where i usually sit, to me it's all open seating) and just sit down in the 1st row behind jay john, a couple feet away from montgomery & the bears brain trust

right before the opening tip, monty attempts to pull his chair away from td's chair but they are stuck together...in like a dumb & dumber movie scene, they spend 30 seconds examining and pulling on the chairs before they figured it out...these guys ain't that smart

so early in the game montgomery summons an eager night club hero jeff powers to go to the scorer's table...as he walks by, i'm telling powers to "let it fly, baby, no hesitation"...perhaps it's my imagination but i think powers gives me an imperceptible nod, yeah, let's do this

jp's 1st shot is an ugly azz brick thrown from the hip at the end of the 35 second clock...i'm clapping for our night club hero & tell him "no worries, keep shooting, baby"

minutes later powers squares up his shoulders & drains a 3 pter...polite applause from the crowd & loud props from the shockster

powers squares up his shoulders & shoots another 3 pter...kaboom...more polite applause from the crowd except me who's yelling, "let it fly, powers, no hesitation"

powers squares up his shoulders & shoots another 3 pter...kaboom...big crowd response & now i'm standing & screaming, "let it fly, baby, let's do this, let's do this"...a couple of the guys on the bench look over to see what the fired up dumb azz in the blue golf shirt & cal cap is going ape **** about

by now the crowd is getting into it...powers works his way into position, squares up & shoots it...kaboom, 4 in a row...i'm standing & screaming "yeah, let it fly, baby, let if fy" & waving my arms to get other people on their feet...there is a collective recognition that maybe something special is going on

haas is starting to get a serious buzz...there is an undeniable undercurrent of anticipation in the crowd & cal bench...powers releases another 3 pter & everybody who's not in a wheelchair is on their feet...bottom of the net, kaboom, 5 in a row...mike, td, gregg, johnny & theo are all looking at each other & grinning...monty by now is shaking his head & smiling...and i'm full throttle screaming by now yelling, "let it fly" which some of the other fans are also starting to repeat

furman's coach is yelling insructions at his players re: "the shooter"

this **** is getting live

by now most of the crowd is on their feet & yelling...the cal bench is going wild...powers catches the ball, squares up his shoulders & releases another 3 pter...the ball floats in slow motion thru the haas airspace with perfect roation...half of the crowd is screaming & the other half is holding their breath...kaboom, 6 3 pters in a row!...the entire cal coaching staff & players are on the floor (ref does not call a technical, he's smiling too as he runs back to the other end of the court)...i'm losing my voice screaming, "let it fly, baby, let it fly" & high fiving everyone around me

the cal universe is in a galaxy of absolute perfection, all the planets are perfectly aligned....jeff powers is 100% del fuego & he finally shows some emotion (dude is usually pretty stoic) with a world class fist pump for the electrified crowd & a smile forever etched in time

jeff powers told me at the santa barbara airport the morning after that game that he mentally prepares himself the same for every game, he's ready to roll...he told me that when he started against washington state, he was told of his starting role at the last minute...the guy never complains or throws a pity party for his broken down sorry azz, he just gets ready for the next game, the next moment of potential opportunity in his life

jeff powers is an unathletic dan majerle, he's a long range pure shooter who understands spacing that plays hard & doesn't commit turnovers...his lack of lateral defensive mobility can be masked for 5-6 minutes spurts by the bears playing zone d

cal family#
let it fly#

------

"i can't put into words how it felt but that was pretty special...just to play, i mean i really wasn't coming into tonight's game saying i want to to have 18 points and shoot 6 for 7...the shots fell, nothing really else i can say...when i put the amount of hours that i have over the years, i expect them to go in...i just think my teammates did a really good job of finding me when i did start hitting a couple...i owe more to my teammates than to myself tonight"

-jeff powers

fireworks#
let if fly#

superhero#

there are very few things in life that are totally pure in their absolute perfection...jeff powers releasing a basketball is one of those precious moments that bring unbridled hope, more than this there is nothing
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Lost+in+Translation+More+than+This+Roxy+Music&Form=VQFRVP#view=detail&mid=885D20ADC678AF2F30D7885D20ADC678AF2F30D7
First Page Last Page
Page 71 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.