cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,264,245 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BearGreg
tequila4kapp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bobodeluxe;842305032 said:

"john wilton is seeking a more "experienced" (white) candidate"

No one even commented on this post.

2014. Berkeley. I have such a hard time believing this could even be remotely true.
Shocky1
loud & feisty bears should out for cal's greatest benefactors, lisa & doug goldman

without them & their amazing family, there's no haas arena, no cutting edge high performance center, no new sparkling memorial stadium or haas b-school (instead i would've graduated with a near worthless degree from the people's park school of unprofitable business practices with an emphasis upon looting & alien communications)

people with hundred of millions of dollars don't need to donate generously to cal or to tirelessly work to improve the lives of others...but lisa & doug love cal and in these financially dangerous times for the #1 ranked public university in the world, they are the foundations of cal's ability to deliver upon her promises

if the shockster ever mints several hundred million dollars, i'm gonna be buying islands & **** like that for sure...i dunno, maybe i'd try breeding talking dinosaurs or something on my islands...would co design a links course with my idols bill coore & tom doak...definitely would also buy david 'what not to wear" kravish some new clothes too if i had any $ leftover

thank you lisa & doug...you definitely ain't stoopid dumb azzs

cal family#

doug, you are literally the only person on planet earth who can ensure that players & recruits favorite (trusted) candidate travis decuire is hired instead of a mediocre mid major coach (54-45 last 3 yrs) with a princeton style offense that is unattractive to both players & fans

the time is now#
bottom of the ninth#
Shocky1
former nba player & tenn volunteer coach (sweet 16 this season) cuonzo martin (age 43) is cal's new bb hc

there is currently a player's meeting advising of this decision
CalAlumnus13
Shocky1;842305259 said:

former nba player & tenn volunteer coach (sweet 16 this season) cuonzo martin (age 43) is cal's new bb hc

there is currently a player's meeting advising of this decision

What are your thoughts on this?

I was backing TD compared to the other candidates, but Cuonzo seems solid to me. There will be some short-term turmoil with current players, but this seems like a guy who might be able to lead us to longer-term success. More of a sure-thing than TD.
DrDanger
CalAlumnus13;842305271 said:

What are your thoughts on this?

I was backing TD compared to the other candidates, but Cuonzo seems solid to me. There will be some short-term turmoil with current players, but this seems like a guy who might be able to lead us to longer-term success. More of a sure-thing than TD.

Shocky-

It's still the MEB Fund!
bearchamp
Your understatement of the quality of this hire is hilarious.
CalAlumnus13
bearchamp;842305278 said:

Your understatement of the quality of this hire is hilarious.

I just don't know much about him---the only basketball I follow is Cal basketball, and he never came up in our discussions. If this is an A+, home run, slam dunk... Great!
Strykur
This needs a bump because all what was proclaimed in this thread for a long time, well it looks like:

UCBerkGrad
DrDanger;842305274 said:

Shocky-

It's still the MEB Fund!

What does MEB stand for anyway?
teknofreek
UCBerkGrad;842305403 said:

What does MEB stand for anyway?

Now it'll be Martin Excellence in Basketball fund.
:bravo
Bobodeluxe
Wilton resigns. Bitter white guy.

; )
"Former nba player & tenn volunteer coach (sweet 16 this season) cuonzo martin (age 43) is cal's new bb hc

there is currently a player's meeting advising of this decision"

Great News.

Thank you Shockster.
Shocky1

a river runs thru it

cal's current bb recruiting is as fluid as a rapidly moving river (and yes, there are dangerous rocks underneath the currents)

with my 3rd favorite austrian who had an actionable arizona offer, american hs preps including the #1 player in the 2015 class & the best player in minnesota along with several elite west coast wings, an amazingly loaded 2016 class with several key top 50 targets describing cal as their dream school, 2 2017 bluechippers already leaning towards the bears, former recruits who might want to discuss transferring back to cal & even perhaps an already identified grad transfer possibility, cal bb is naturally evolving into a dynamic spawning ground

some of these details need to remain not visible (for now) below the pounding currents

this thread was started because of the need for greater energy & transparency with respects to cal bb recruiting...the common connector between all these potential future california golden bears is that they are high gpa/character student athletes that will proudly represent the #1 public university in the river

stoopid dumb azz playahs that want to ball out (and not focus on creating a lifetime of achieving their unique dreams via hard work in the classroom) need not apply (we ain't oregon)

this is cal basketball#
breath of fresh air#

welcome cal commit 7'1" 250 lbs kingsley okoroh

kingsley is originally from waltford, england & only played hs bb in the usa for 1 season at westwind prep (phoenix) with 18 pts, 12 boards, 6 blocks & 4 assists per game

ko only has 3 stars because he has not been widely scouted in america...former suns tom chambers (got a dui last month in scottsdale) thinks that okoroh has nba potential

kingsley is considered a dominating shot blocker with a nice touch around the basket along with being a good passer for a big & just as importantly, a high character young man (will turn 19 on april 24th)

the impact upon of this commitment upon my 3rd favorite austrian is not known at this time

kingsley, welcome to the #1 public university in the world
tsubamoto2001
Shocky1;842305610 said:

a river runs thru it

cal's current bb recruiting is as fluid as a rapidly moving river (and yes, there are dangerous rocks underneath the currents)

with my 3rd favorite austrian who had an actionable arizona offer, american hs preps including the #1 player in the 2015 class & the best player in minnesota along with several elite west coast wings, an amazingly loaded 2016 class with several key top 50 targets describing cal as their dream school, 2 2017 bluechippers already leaning towards the bears, former recruits who might want to discuss transferring back to cal & even perhaps an already identified grad transfer possibility, cal bb is naturally evolving into a dynamic spawning ground

some of these details need to remain not visible (for now) below the pounding currents

this thread was started because of the need for greater energy & transparency with respects to cal bb recruiting...the common connector between all these potential future california golden bears is that they are high gpa/character student athletes that will proudly represent the #1 public university in the river

stoopid dumb azz playahs that want to ball out (and not focus on creating a lifetime of achieving their unique dreams via hard work in the classroom) need not apply (we ain't oregon)

this is cal basketball#
breath of fresh air#

welcome cal commit 7'1" 250 lbs kingsley okoroh

kingsley is originally from waltford, england & only played hs bb in the usa for 1 season at westwind prep (phoenix) with 18 pts, 12 boards, 6 blocks & 4 assists per game

ko only has 3 stars because he has not been widely scouted in america...former suns tom chambers (got a dui last month in scottsdale) thinks that okoroh has nba potential

kingsley is considered a dominating shot blocker with a nice touch around the basket along with being a good passer for a big & just as importantly, a high character young man (will turn 19 on april 24th)

the impact upon of this commitment upon my 3rd favorite austrian is not known at this time

kingsley, welcome to the #1 public university in the world

I hope either TD or Theo are retained. It may be unlikely, but I think it would be a good idea to keep one or both of them.
NYCGOBEARS
tsubamoto2001;842305616 said:

I hope either TD or Theo are retained. It may be unlikely, but I think it would be a good idea to keep one or both of them.

Tsuba, you all better this afternoon? Go Bears!
tsubamoto2001
NYCGOBEARS;842305643 said:

Tsuba, you all better this afternoon? Go Bears!

I am better, no doubt. Martin does have a ton of work to do though. It'll be interesting to see how everything shakes out with transfers and his staff.
Shocky1

idrissa diallo, a silent commit since his official visit with his parents & mentor/coach middlebrooks, is officially a california golden bear

at the beginning of this summer the cal coaching staff regarded idrissa diallo as the most athletic with the highest upside, thomas welsh as the most polished and evan fitzner as the most ball skilled

at various points in his recruitment, iddy had actionable offers from ucla, usc, oregon & colorado with significant interest from other major programs

with a solid 3.4 gpa, diallo is a true student athlete too

congratulations to our honest & high character bb staff (particularly gregg gottlieb) for their tireless efforts in iddy's recruitment

idrissa diallo, an impressive young man from senegal, will continue his epic quest to fulfill his dreams at the #1 ranked public university in the world

"the recruitment for idrissa diallo will be reopened...new cal staff will have equal opportunity to recruit (diallo)"

-coach william middlebrooks
Shocky1
theo robertson is the greatest 3 pt shooter in cal history...robertson shot a cal best 44% during his career including an amazing 48.7% his jr yr...this past season robertson not worked as the director of bb operations but also served as the shooting guru particularly to jordan "man on fire" mathews

theo robertson was not only a lights out long range shooter for the bears but also a highly respected teammate who often unselfishly played out of position because of cal's lack of depth at the time...he also was a lock down defender with a steely demeanor & a tireless work ethic

monty made a tactically wise decision in hiring robertson as the director of basketball operations as theo was not paid in his prior role with the program...theo is hopefully being groomed to eventually be on the bench as an asst coach...robertson could be a an older brother figure to bears recruiting targets in relentlessly watching them play in 100+ hs/aau games all the while explaining to players & their families from 1st hand experience the keys to balancing big time basketball with world class educational opportunities

if cal intends to surpass arizona in bb recruiting, then the 1st action by the next men's bb hc at the university of california, berkeley should be to elevate theo robertson to an assistant bb coach...mitch elkins would then be promoted to director of bb operations

the bears bb program need an energized & tireless young guy who will relentlessly build strong relationships with aau & hs coaches while attending 100+ games a yr...why was td the only bears coach at the state championship games in sacramento this weekend?...that is embarazzing & unacceptable

perhaps the biggest issue (and it is often unsaid) for many elite recruits & their families is if they can academically compete in the classrooms of berkeley?...douche bags like dana altman have told them they are too stoopid to go to cal

robertson is qualified to address these academic issues with cal's targeted recruits & their families and candidly answer those questions re: cal's outstanding academic support program from a personal perspective story of achievement

it should take about 5 minutes for the next cal bb hc to elevate theo robertson to an assistant coach...maybe 8 minutes if they are a dumb azz

give theo the ball & watch what happens

one of cuonzo martin's top priorities will be to interview & hopefully hire theo robertson as part of the the new cal bb staff

theo is not intereted in working in an administrative role (director of bb operations) & he is receving attention from multiple schools...if he becomes part of sean miller's team, ivan rabb will be 99% delivered to tuscon because of theo's relationships with those involved including ivan's mom
socaltownie
Shocky1;842305665 said:

tone of cuonzo martin's top priorities will be to interview & hopefully hire theo robertson as part of the the new cal bb staff

theo is not intereted in working in an administrative role (director of bb operations) & he is receving attention from multiple schools...if he becomes part of sean miller's team, ivan rabb will be 99% delivered to tuscon because of theo's relationships with those involved including ivan's mom

+1. I am not focused on Rabb but I think Theo would make a fantastic coach.
Big C
seattlebear02;842305072 said:

It's like the 3 stooges are trying to find reasons NOT to hire DeCuire. It's bullsh*t.

Had I been on BI early this morning, I gotta say, I would have agreed with this sentiment.

Now, it seems as though the "3 stooges" weren't as dumb as I look.

Go Bears!
Shocky1

"coaches, i'm going to outwork you today!!! #the season never ends"

-travis decuire

"players in our program trust travis and that's huge in today's business...they want to play for him and he's developed relationships with these kids...and he's developed relationships with the people that we need to recruit, that trust him...i think that, that alone, is huge with this group of young kids"

-mike montgomery

"he's energetic and young...he'll bring life to the program...if he is the new head coach, that would be great for the program"

-jabari bird

"i think travis is a great coach...he does a lot of work with us on the x's and o's...he builds relationships with his players and i think he's very energetic and fun...we really respect him and we trust him...i think if he was hired as the coach he would do a great job"

-tyrone wallace

"td ain't some candy azz soft stooopid broken down dumb azz"

-anonymous bears fan

it is my strongest belief that travis decuire would have been an excellent choice to be the next head bb coach at the university of california, berkeley...i stated as much in the very 1st post on this thread a year & a half ago

but chancellor nicholas dirks, vice chancellor john wilton (who i'm apologizing to for my incorrectly asserting that race was part of the decision not to hire td) & athletic director sandy barbour selected another outstanding candidate cuonzo martin

so life goes on....life ain't symmetrical

martin at his opening press conference made it clear he would like to interview all the current staff & that in the past he's retained exceptional people who fit his vision

i'm very hopeful that after regrouping & sharing love with his family that travis will actively pursue a key role on coach martin's team

cal (sometimes fractured at times) family#
socaliganbear
Still a chance for #TeamTD
Shocky1
HoopDreams;842175347 said:

both ahmaad rorie & idrissa diallo will be released from their loi if they wish to attend a different school...cal is doing the right thing for these young men

ahmaad, cal offers a tremendous opportunity for you to compete for a starting pg position as a freshmen (vs sitting behind nigel williams-goss), california is still a special place (there's a reason chief keef moved to cali & not seattle) & the university of california, berkeley is still the #1 ranked public university in the world

if your goal is to achieve financial success via hard work both on & off the bb court so that your mom doesn't have to work anymore, then cal is still the right choice for you

50 yr decision#
Shocky1
"thank you, i'm very humbled at this point...i'm a young man that comes from east st louis and now i have the opportunity to coach at the number one public institution in the world and that's very humbling...i take academics very seriously...there were a lot of great, qualified candidates and they choose me so i don't take that lightly...this is a great opportunity and a beautiful place"

-cuonzo martin

martin graduated from purdue, played in the nba & led tennessee to the sweet 16 this season

welcome cuonzo, his wife roberta & their children chase, joshua & addison to the university of california, berkeley

cal family#
Intermezzo
stu;842303492 said:

:cheer
Shocky1
justin labagh graduated from cal after playing with abdul shareef rahim & tony gonzalez, interned under bobby knight, recruits relentlessly during the off season (once told me that 20 of his wins each season take place on the recruiting trail), sends more guys to college with schollys than any other jc hc in california because of his emphasis upon academics & is the winningiest hc in college bb history at 87.6%

justin labagh=another cal guy creating greatness

cal family#

in addition to supporting travis decuire & theo robertson as a 100,000+ hrs recruiting/shooting guru assistant coach, i am also endorsing justin labagh

why justin labagh (who is currently in san antonio with sean marks) as an assistant coach for the bears?

*****justin labagh is the winningest head coach in the history of college basketball with a 87.5% winning record...309 wins & 44 losses...his ability to design successful schemes with the xxx's & ooo's with mike's departure is needed for a hc to have someone to bounce around strategies (labagh interned under bobby knight)

*****labagh is as talented & relentless a recruiter as anybody on the west coast...he once told me that 20 of his wins (he averages 30 wins a yr, 3 time california jc coach of the yr) come on the recruiting trail between april and september...his network of hs & aau coaches rivalss anybody

*****justin values education, he has sent more players to 4 yr scholly colleges than any other jc coach in california...he has transformed hs ballers with abysmal hs gpas & turned them into student athletes under his guidance

*****under jg ccsf averaged 87.9 ppg this season with 6 games over 100 pts with a high game of 134 pts...labagh teaches a fast high tempo of play & has met with the cal bb staff this season to share ideas re: further pushing the pace for the bears...elite recruits are attracted to this style of play & it sells tixs too

*****labagh is a former bears walk on & paid his way thru cal...he truly understands the value of a cal education from a 1st hand perspective & can convey that to targeted recruits

*****justin is a san francisco native & still lives in the city with his family...working at cal would be a dream job

*****most importantly, labagh is amazingly charismatic & approachable...he would add an element of fun & buoyancy that was lacking on this yr's coaching staff...during the bears late season skid (until the laser tag getaway turned things around) both the players & coaches seemed very grim, uptight & non communicative with one another...justin would add a breath of fresh air to the team chemistry with his upbeat demeanor

quick story about labagh's coaching style...i headed over to ccsf's 2nd game of the yr (after a little morning golf at the nearby o-club) to check out sami eleraky

sami throws up an ill advised (he's got 4 inches on the center guarding him) fallaway 16 footer that clanks off the backboard (shades of solo's 1st 3 yrs at cal when he stubbornly played as a stretch 4) instead of attacking the basket

labagh immediately subs out sami & catches him getting of the court with a hand to his shoulder and asks eleraky, "sami, that's not the shot we want, right?"

perfectly handled

sami nods his head in agreement, labagh pats him on the azz as he heads to his seat & eleraky goes back into the game 5 minutes later & the 1st time he touches the ball he attacks the rim (actually he charges & runs over a guy but that's a whole different story)

justin labagh is as important to the future of the cal bb program as travis decuire & theo robertson

it should take about 5 minutes for the next cal bb hc to hire justin labagh as the associate head coach...maybe 8 minutes if they're a dumb azz

cal family#

cuonzo, justin labagh's # at ccsf is 415-239-3402
NVGolfingBear
Shocky1;842305950 said:

"thank you, i'm very humbled at this point...i'm a young man that comes from east st louis and now i have the opportunity to coach at the number one public institution in the world and that's very humbling...i take academics very seriously...there were a lot of great, qualified candidates and they choose me so i don't take that lightly...this is a great opportunity and a beautiful place"

-cuonzo martin

martin graduated from purdue, played in the nba & led tennessee to the sweet 16 this season

welcome cuonzo, his wife roberta & their children chase, joshua & addison to the university of california, Berkeley

cal family#

Nice post, Shocky1.
When the man shoots a 67 on Sunday of the tournament, or in this case, nails the interviews with SB et al, etiquette demands that you congratulate him on his performance, even though you may have wanted or tried hard for a different outcome.

How you come up with the pictures you do is very talented. Connections everywhere?
Vineyardview
Article about Tracy Webster - Martins Tennessee Associate Head Coach -
3 time All Big Ten point guard 1991- 1994

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2011/apr/04/cuonzo-martin-expected-hire-nebraskas-tracy-webste/
Vineyardview
Article on Jon Harris - Martin's Tennessee assistant
http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2011/mar/30/cuonzo-martin-hires-jon-harris-missouri-state-assi/

early 30's played coached at Marquette 1998 -2001

“He’s a little more outgoing, I think, than Coach Martin, but at the same time he has a lot of the same toughness that Coach Martin has.”
Vineyardview
Kent Williams Martin's Tennessee assistant coach

http://www.utsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/williams_kent00.html

Kent Williams followed Cuonzo Martin to Tennessee in April 2011 after working as an assistant under Martin for three seasons at Missouri State. Williams now enters his third season with the Volunteers and his sixth under Martin.
bearchamp
The Shocky pontifications on what is necessary for Cal basketball should cease. We have a new regime, and Martin should be left to do what he does best. Additionally, on what basis is Theo, or Justin determined to be the future of Cal basketball? I am unaware of any accomplishment of Theo as a coach other than writers here like him as a person. Similarly, how many successful JC coaches have succeeded at the Pac 12 level verses how many haven't succeeded. Finally, even the "facts" are not always correct. Justin was in San Francisco yesterday, not with Marks!
tequila4kapp
He's just a guy giving an opinion on an internet forum. It's a heck of a lot better read than the race/politics/personal attacks happening under another thread that started out about Cal basketball. I think our best option is to just stay away from content we don't like.
gooski
I enjoy his thoughts/updates - if you don't like what he posts, just don't read this thread.

And as to the facts - Shocky many times copies his original post and adds new content at the bottom of his post so the Justin with Marks comment may have been from his original post.
Shocky1
bearchamp;842306128 said:

The Shocky pontifications on what is necessary for Cal basketball should cease. We have a new regime, and Martin should be left to do what he does best. Additionally, on what basis is Theo, or Justin determined to be the future of Cal basketball? I am unaware of any accomplishment of Theo as a coach other than writers here like him as a person. Similarly, how many successful JC coaches have succeeded at the Pac 12 level verses how many haven't succeeded. Finally, even the "facts" are not always correct. Justin was in San Francisco yesterday, not with Marks!

hey dumb azz, the comment about justin labagh was from a post during the ncca finals when i spoke to him, not yesterday

what yr did you get your ged?
Shocky1
welcome 7'1" 250 lbs kingsley okoroh, coach martin's 1st commitment to the california golden bears

spoke with okoroh's hc jai steadman at westwind prep (i'm an acquaintance of former suns tom chambers whose twins sons also attend westwind) in phx who emphasized several times that kingsley is an outstanding young man

okoroh has a 3.0+ gpa & his dad michael is a professor of facilities mgmt at the university of derby's school of engineering & technology...his dad has a family policy of mandatory good grades in order to play sports & is harder on his sons re: academics than athletics...kingsley bro is a bodybuilder back in england

westwind's academic tutor hannah has told steadman that kingsely is very polite & actively engaged in his schoolwork...apparently hannah doesn't say this about all of jai's players

okoroh season stats: 18 ppg, 12 rpg, 6 bpg & 4 apg

steadman thinks that okoroh like most young bigs has significant development potential on offense & has a nice soft touch...he shot 79% on fts & did not attempt any 3 pters, apparently kingsley does not think of himself as a stretch 4

defensively steadman compared him to dikembe mutombo in terms of his ability to be a monster shot blocker & rebounder but still needs more strength to reach his potential

jai also told me he has known cuonzo for yrs & that he knows kingsley is in "very good hands" with coach martin

most rating services have not seen okoroh play but tom chambers thinks okoroh with hard work could have nba potential

kingsley, welcome to the #1 ranked public university in the world (including waterford, england)

First Page Last Page
Page 82 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.