cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,255,590 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BearGreg
bearmanpg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Unless my feeble mind has left me altogether I recall a JC coach who fared fairly well in the Pac10 by the name of Lute Olsen. Another fairly successful former JC coach you may have heard of is Jerry Tarkanian.
Shocky1
congratulations to:

*****mike montgomery
*****travis decuire
*****gregg gottlieb
*****john montgomery
*****theo robertson
*****jay john
*****cal academic tutors

for successfully cleaning up the ben braun academic cesspool as evidenced by the bb team's recent apr of 955...with the current roster of true student athletes, this # is likely to escalate toward 1000 in the future

who are these bears?

alan crabbe-3.3 gpa@price (honorary team member/current playing w/portland trail blazers)
justin cobbs-3.39 gpa@bishop montgomery
richard solomon-3.5 gpa@price
david kravish-4.1 gpa@lee's summit north
tyrone wallace-3.5 gpa@bakersfield
ricky kreklow-3.72 gpa@rocky bridge
jeff powers-excellent student@delasalle
garrett galvin-4.0 gpa@torrey pines
jabari bird-3.0+gpa@salesian
jordan mathews-3.55 gpa@santa monica
sam singer-3.4 gpa@ransom everglades
kameron rooks-3.5 gpa@mission hills
roger moute a bidias-3.0+ gpa@notre dame
amhaad rorie-3.6 gpa@lincoln & montverde academy
idrissa diallo-3.4 gpa@cathedral
kingsley okoroh-3.0+ gpa@westwind prep

cal fans can expect every player listed above to either leave cal with a degree and/or a nba contract...hopefully the bears' future nba players will eventually return to cal like former nba all star shareef abdur rahim, 3.8 gpa@cal, to graduate

of the 300+ ncaa d1 bb teams, cal is among the most academically elite programs along with duke, stanford, the ivy leagues & the service academies

the above is the MOST IMPORTANT stat sheet in cal basketball

cal family#
50 yr decision#

this is the difference between basketball factories that use up & then discard their workers (leaving them unemployable on the streets) and legitimate collegiate instituions of higher learning with an academic purpose

welcome kingsley okoroh, another true student athlete

the most insightful comments at coach martin's introductory press conference were his opening statement "i take academics very seriously"

the tenn volunteers bb most recent apr is an impressive 973

cuonzo martin gets it

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world
concordtom
Shocky1;842306395 said:

hey dumb azz, the comment about justin labagh was from a post during the ncca finals when i spoke to him, not yesterday

what yr did you get your ged?

more polarization.
HoopDreams
Rorie!

NYCGOBEARS
hoopdreams;842306509 said:

rorie!

fantastic!!!
Shocky1
HoopDreams;842156814 said:

Rorie and his Mom

favorite monster class quote: "won't feel satisfied until moms stops workin"-ahmaad rorie

one love#
50 yr decision#
cal family#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world
Optimistic Bear
Shocky1;842306395 said:

hey dumb azz, the comment about justin labagh was from a post during the ncca finals when i spoke to him, not yesterday

what yr did you get your ged?

Boom Roasted.

Thanks for all you do Shocky. Great insights and true fan, appreciate your wisdom and dedication to the Bears
Shocky1
Vineyardview;842306097 said:

Article about Tracy Webster - Martins Tennessee Associate Head Coach -
3 time All Big Ten point guard 1991- 1994

[url]http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2011/apr/04/cuonzo-martin-expected-hire-nebraskas-tracy-webste/[/url]

expect to see tracy webster join the bears staff

Intermezzo
Shocky1;842304208 said:

1947, when you make comments like that (the ad does not control the high academic standards at cal that don't exist at other schools, the cost of living in the bay area or the under behind the scenes $ payments to elite players at places like arizona), you come across as an uniformed, behind the times racist

When you make posts like this, you come off as the completely fake lying douche who pretends to be a high roller, but is really a caddy that you are.
Intermezzo
Chapman_is_Gone;842304346 said:

This board is not well served by Shocky having a growing stature here. His pathetic response above, his throwing out charges of racism at the drop of a hat, and the fact that he repeatedly brags about who he dated in high school should tell you all you need to know about the guy.

What can you say. Cal's fanbase is full of dumbasses.
Intermezzo
DrDanger;842305274 said:

Shocky-

It's still the MEB Fund!

LOL at all the Shocky fail throughout this fail. Insider insight? Absolutely zero. Just regurgitating the stuff from all the boards and making you think it was his because he was in the "inner circle." Yet like with everyone else, when the guy was finally named, he found out from the internet like all the rest of us.

Let this be the end of this stupid 180 plus page "Look at me look at me" freak show thing you've got going and just go back to sprinkling your dumbassery in other threads and spare us the endlessly repetitive posts on Justin Labagh, recruting, and inaccurate GPA information that you use to prop up a coaching staff that completely failed both as recruiters and from an APR/Grad Rate standpoint.
CalBearsWinNC
Intermezzo;842306532 said:

When you make posts like this, you come off as the completely fake lying douche who pretends to be a high roller, but is really a caddy that you are.

What's your problem with Shock?
Shocky1
"i like him...he preaches a style of play which is basically up and down, fast paced...he also wants the team to play defense...everything went well in the meeting and i really like him...he talked about love and family...a lot of guys were giving him great feedback on his personality, saying he was really to play for...i'm just ready to get to work"

-jabari bird
Shocky1
former cal power forward tony gonzalez is announcing that this will be his final season in the nfl

apparently tony wants to spend more time with his wife october...

for the hearing impaired, october is telling tony "go bring in the trash can, mr hall of famer, and no golf for you today, don't forget my mom is going be here at 3:30, you're not gonna wear that shirt are you?"

cal (which is very challenging & sometimes a grind) opens doors with the girl of your dreams

today is the former cal starting pf for the 1996 sweet sixteen bears & greatest te in the history of the nfl's final game

gonzo has 79 receptions this season for the atlanta falcons heading into today's game vs the carolina panthers

unsubstantiated rumor in berkeley is that theo robertson & jay john are reviewing the ncca rulebooks to determine if the 37 yr old has any collegiate bb eligibility left and more importantly, if october can be a mid year enrollee for the dance squad (if you don't think october doesn't do yoga 5 times a week, you are clueless)

cal family#
50 yr decision#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including atlanta & every yoga studio around the globe)

today is tony's final football game, his 14th pro bowl game in the islands

meanwhile, october is busily putting together a "now that tony's home all the time schedule"

1) paint the garage door
2) tues drop off & thurs pick up at the dry cleaners
3) active participation in sat morning costco shopping trips
4) redecorate the living room
5) join the neighborhood's wed nite couple's bunco group

pending ncca eligibility approval, tony is sooo ready to return to berkeley & graduate from cal while providing back up bench strength at the 4

cal family#

the biggest ? in the cal bb program is if coach martin will seek a final yr of eligibility from the ncca for tony so gonzo won't have to join the wed nite reading club with october

life in the 'burbs#
concordtom
See what I mean?
Polarization.
Intermezzo
CalBearsWinNC;842306542 said:

What's your problem with Shock?

You mean aside from the fact that he constantly lies about his relative importance and spams the board with incorrectly formatted hashtags and stories about his two daughters, who are just tits and ass to him, and his "current first wife"?, not to mention constantly posting unverifiable private academic information about our players?

Nothing.
tequila4kapp
It really is unfortunate that everyone is forced to come to this thread.
mikecohen
Intermezzo;842306589 said:

You mean aside from the fact that he constantly lies about his relative importance and spams the board with incorrectly formatted hashtags and stories about his two daughters, who are just tits and ass to him, and his "current first wife"?, not to mention constantly posting unverifiable private academic information about our players?

Nothing.

But, why the bitterness? Why aren't you satisfied just not to look at this thread? I truly don't get this.
socaltownie
Will say it again, while there are aspects of Shocky's "schtick" that drive me to distraction on the whole it is valuable. We have privately communicated (often) as to those aspects. My continued hope is that he takes those comments constructively - as I have taken his comments about my posting.
bearchamp
Shocky and his posts, are part of the Cal community. I, among others, don't like some of what he represents and how his "schtick" reflects on the Cal community at large. Additionally, one must assume that his comments are read and considered by others who are not in the Cal community: either way, one has to read his posts to see and understand how the community is being represented, and to see if response should be made. Finally, to some extent his comments undermine the legitimate purposes of Cal's coaches and athletes. Name calling, and mockery of athletes serves no legitimate purpose. Asserting ad nauseam that coaches should be changed or the wrong coaches are in place cannot help the cause. Turning away and ignoring this problem is not the answer either. One would hope that Shocky would consider and act on the observations of his critics.
south bender
bearchamp;842306630 said:

. One would hope that Shocky would consider and act on the observations of his critics.

Fat chance.
OldBlue1999
Here's an idea for those who don't like this monster thread: post a competing thread with all the "real" and "verifiable" info you complain is missing here, in whatever writing style you choose. I for one would appreciate and read it, too.
Optimistic Bear
bearchamp;842306630 said:

Shocky and his posts, are part of the Cal community. I, among others, don't like some of what he represents and how his "schtick" reflects on the Cal community at large. Additionally, one must assume that his comments are read and considered by others who are not in the Cal community: either way, one has to read his posts to see and understand how the community is being represented, and to see if response should be made. Finally, to some extent his comments undermine the legitimate purposes of Cal's coaches and athletes. Name calling, and mockery of athletes serves no legitimate purpose. Asserting ad nauseam that coaches should be changed or the wrong coaches are in place cannot help the cause. Turning away and ignoring this problem is not the answer either. One would hope that Shocky would consider and act on the observations of his critics.

Was this meant for the football board?

I understand the calls for less objectifying of women, but as long as this thread has existed Shocky has done nothing but pump up Cal athletes and bring optimism and hope for this program and give us some recruiting information.

Shocky has been the best thing for the basketball board since I've been here, because before Shocky this place was dead
berkeleyhigh91
Word to someone's mother.
philbert
Optimistic Bear;842306656 said:

Was this meant for the football board?

I understand the calls for less objectifying of women, but as long as this thread has existed Shocky has done nothing but pump up Cal athletes and bring optimism and hope for this program and give us some recruiting information.

Shocky has been the best thing for the basketball board since I've been here, because before Shocky this place was dead

+1

Don't read this thread if you don't like it. No one else provides any hoops recruiting info on this site.
CalBearsWinNC
mikecohen;842306615 said:

But, why the bitterness? Why aren't you satisfied just not to look at this thread? I truly don't get this.

^This if you think he is a liar then ignore his posts.
Holmoephobic
mikecohen;842306615 said:

+1 Come on Intermezzo, these tame charges are the reason you're flipping out? At least Shocky presents us with information. What have you done besides repeatedly bitch and moan. If his conduct offends you to the core, I recommend staying away from this thread and avoiding the internet in general.
Shocky1
my 1st gf at cal (the it dept here refuses to post any fotos of her) who later appeared in the playboy girl's of the pac 10 issue once told me something about life that reasonated with me as one of life's universal truths

she told me "that you are either part of the solution or you are part of the problem, there's nothing in between"

jay john told me that "the meb fund has been in existence for 16 months and through the donations of our donors we have been able to upgrade the program...every dollar donated goes to help a meb student athlete in one way or another...for example, monies from the meb have gone to renovate the gold gym in the rsf so mbb, wbb and vb have a branded facility when the has pavilion floor is unavailable...the meb fund has paid for a feasibility study to upgrade the audio visual experience for our fans, i.e. a center hung scoreboard coming in the 2015-2016 season"

cal bb's brand new dedicated practice facility, the gold gym

"additionally monies have been used for the following upgrades: the player's locker room, video software equipment, new cameras, ipads for all players and staff (to deliver video and academic information), salary bumps for our strength trainer and academic personnel, funding a trip for 50 cal students to the pac 12 tourney in vegas and graphic enhancements in haas pavilion...at some point we will need to renovate our players locker room and lockers also...obviously, the monies are well spent and have directly enhanced the student athlete experience"

benefits include breakfast meetings with monty, preferred tixs to cal home & away games, a bunch of cal swag & another tax deduction

currently there are around 20+ of us supporting the meb...at the #1 public university in the world & the lifetime of opportunities it has created for us, this # show grow to 100+

not everyone is in a position to support the meb but if you can, give jj a call & have a conversation...don't passively wait for others to do the heavy lifting, make a difference

roar a little bit

cal family#

ryan anderson's parents told mike when he took the cal hc job that a major factor in ryan's decision to declare for the nba & not return to cal was the crappy housing situation for their son in berkeley

so mike went to the major bb donors & they purchased a house for all the bb basketball players (except for the freshmen which must live in the dorms for a yr) near haas...our players now have a terrific living situation (ok, would be better if a few raiderettes lived there too but get over it)

to remedy these type of infrastructure problems in the future (which have held cal bb back during the last half a century), mike enlisted jay john to start the meb fund....this fund is never started without the enlightened forward thinking of mr cranky pants

dr danger is right (again), the meb fund can move forward as the martin excellence in basketball fund

jay john called me with a heads up re: the coaching decision prior to the press conference

jj told me he's known cuonzo for yrs & that martin is "a high character guy who does things the right way"

hopefully some of you will consider roaring a little bit louder & joining the meb fund...unsubstantiated rumor is that if intermezzo can win 1st place $ in the upcoming captain fantastic drag queen pageant (and there's nothing wrong with that, were not here to judge), he's gonna join the meb fund too...apparently intermezzo's purplish mascara ran a bit over his face & he wobbled a bit in his 6" jimmy choo cfm pumps in last yr's captain fantastic pageant...good luck to imtermezzo in his endeavors

the university of california, berkeley experience includes an appreciation of free speech, world class academics & hopefully championship bb in the future
Shocky1
westwind prepatory academy in phx describes itself as a college preparatory public charter high school

in speaking with a school official, they told me that the academic accreditation issues with ncaa in the past have been resolved

i would not send my daughters shay & tyalor to westwind

the bears bb staff should carefully weigh any potential eligibility issues with kingsley okoroh in their recruitment of my 3rd favorite austrian, jakob poeltl
Shocky1

former cal all american (and graduate) & phoenix suns all star ($30+m nba earnings) & current mayor of sacramento kevin johnson talks about the importance of a strong hs education:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/28/living/schools-mayors-education/index.html

political analysts speculate that kj's next office may be the governor of california which would then lead to a run for the white house...would be very cool to see a framed portrait of oski in the oval office...how many bb programs (princeton & bill bradley comes to mind) ever have produced a potential future candidate for the president of the united states?

key bears sacramento hs key 2016 targets christian terrell, solomon young & tre finch will hopefully continue to focus on competing both on the basketball court & in the classroom

cal degree+hard work=opens doors in life to fulfill dreams

cal family#
education matters#
fashion matters (fuschia is the new black)#
50 yr decision#

sacramento mayor kevin johnson was sworn in wednesday as the new leader of the us conference of mayors, a platform that raises the national political profile of the former cal all merican & nba all star

mayor>governator>prez

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including arizona)
diva1
aint happening, his wife is too controversial and in a statewide office his own murky background with young girls will be cannon fodder for his opponents
socaltownie
diva1;842306992 said:

aint happening, his wife is too controversial and in a statewide office his own murky background with young girls will be cannon fodder for his opponents

Nope. Teacher union will fight kj and wife till he'll freezes over. Indeed, they would like to crush him just to make point.
Shocky1
my pal usc ad pat haden hired andy endfield whose sole bb claim to fame was winning 2 ncca tnt games with 2.5 hs gpa dumb azzs...his fgc's players post game interviews were virtually imcomprehensible

so how did andy's 1st "dunk city" season at usc turn out?

not so good with an abysmal 11-21 season (2-16 in pac 12) & continued lousy attendance...the trojans only bright spots were knocking off dayton & a then pac 12 undefeated cal team...other than annie & mike montgomery along with myself, the bears players, coaches, staff & fans were virtually mute that ill fated nite at galen

so andy's next season is gonna get better, right?

nope, it's looking like another 20+ loss season in smogsville as leading scorer & rebounder byron wesley has opted to finish up school this summer & play somewhere else as a graduate transfer in the hopes of avoiding another long season

endfield will be losing his 4 leading scorers:

***byron wesley, 17.8 ppg & 6.4 rpg
***pe'shon "bail bond" howard-10.8 ppg & a team high 3.9 apg
***j.t. terrell-9.8 ppg
***omar "dead eyes" oraby-8.2 ppg & 6.0 rpg

losing the stanley johnson sweepstakes (to arizona) after a 1000+ hrs of recruiting him really hurt the future of the program

so another 20+ loss season is in the cards for the trojans again

sorry pat, you hired the wrong endfield, you should've gone with amanda

fight on#
Shocky1
pat haden is a former rose bowl winning qb at sc who also had a successful tenure at a flourishing private equity firm & is currently the athletic director at usc

he is really, really smart (rhodes scholar) & really, really gullible

pat & i have had 4 interactions during the last couple of yrs

1) i was on the practice putting green at san francisco golf club (where i used to caddie during my hs & cal days, rick rhoads was the pro then too) at 8:00 am on the thursday morning of the usc/cal fb game at att park when mr rhoads told me the visiting usc golf team would be sending out 3 groups (college golfers play notoriously slow, they tend to read putts from 3-4 spots before putting & then mark their balls even if they are a foot from the hole) & asked if i would like to go off the 10th tee as a single player with my caddie (which means i could walk 18 holes in 2 & 1/2 hrs instead of almost 5 hrs)

i thanked mr rhoads & yelled at at my caddie pat "hey pat, we're gonna go off on 10, grab some tees and let's roll"

so the other player putting on the green walks toward me and starts pulling tees out of his pockets...i said to him "sorry about that, i was talking to pat my caddie, you're pat haden, right"...and we had a nice converation (i did not ask him if the cash payment envelopes that ex bb hc floyd used to pay oj mayo were athletic dept issued or from floyd's personal collection)

my caddie pat thought it was pretty great that a guest like me (a former caddie) would tell a guest to go get him some tees & when we finished our round the entire caddyshack high fived me

2) i was at a cal/usc game fb massacre at the coliseum in the high donor trojan section (al cowlings, oj's white bronco driver buddy & his drunk azz lady friend sat behind us) at midfield (they have hostesses bring you free food & drinks all game...they are very flirty but i behaved myself & did not ask for any lap dances)

so usc is up like 42-3 or something at halftime & an enthusiastic pat haden is making the rounds...when he gets to me he says "wow, this couldn't be going any better, could it?"

i told him "i don't know about that, maybe the bears could run the 2nd half kickoff back for a touchdown"

there's a flicker of recongition in his eyes as pat realizes i'm messing with him...he gives me a fake laugh & starts talking to the group next to me

3) pat haden is a member at lacc, the valley club of montecito & pine valley...i'm putting out on the 18th green of the north at los angeles country club with some buddies & i spot pat getting ready to tee off on the adjacent 1st tee

so i yell out "hey pat"...he looks over trying to figure out who i am, you can tell he has no idea who i am...so i yell again a little bit louder "hey pat" & start doing a couple of fist pumps while i yell his name

so haden finally yells back "hey, how's it going?" while fist pumping me back

i look him in the eyes & yell "go bears"

haden immediately stops fist pumping me back & his group all starts laughing...heard one of his guys saying "pat, i think you just got punked"

4) last nite i bought in front of galen a scalper tix from jeff capehart (who told me he was a former cal bb player in the 1980s) & then just sat in the 1st row behind the cal bench

there's a little walkway between the 1st row & the cal bench so who walks by but a widely smiling pat haden, most likely greatly enthused by the trojans clownpunking of the bears

so as he walks by i say "excuse me, pat, when will i will receiving a pine valley invitation from you?"

he looks at me & says with a wink "it all depends on your donations this year"

i look him in the eye (we're about the same height) & tell him, "pat, there's probably a better chance i'm going to donate to the el paso school of bartending that usc"

my buddy pat realizes i'm messing with him (again) & gives me another fake smile and walks away

kinda getting the vibe from pat that i ain't gonna be invited to sit on his selection commmitte for the next trojan bb hc

my favorite trojan#

sorry pat, you hired the wrong endfield

fight on#
Shocky1
expect tracy webster join the bears staff

sure hope tracy is gonna lose all the orange pumpkin clothing (other than oct 31st)

tracy, there's a goodwill on telegraph

what not to wear#
gq#

First Page Last Page
Page 83 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.