cal's monster class deux

1,376,038 Views | 6499 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Admin
NYCGOBEARS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shocky1;842821083 said:

so what's your point?

shine bright (like diamonds in the sky)#

Keep doing that. You need more blood in your brain.
mikecohen
Jeff82;842820904 said:

Again, my main criterion is someone that wants to be here and build a program. That rules out Musselman. We'd be a way-station for him. I can also see going back to Travis, although we really have no idea how he'd be as a recruiter. At Montana, he doesn't really have access to the talent pool. At Cal, he wasn't working for a coach with closing skills, which brings us back to the coach-up-the-players vs. recruit-the-studs debate. I would also say that if the coach-up-the-players camp really believes that, then they should be willing to hire someone like Decuire or Gates, on a seven-year contract, with a big buyout on both sides, which forces us to stay the course, even if it's bumpy at the beginning.

There's "bumpy" [which, in my mind, gives you the gamut between (a) the massive blow-outs of good teams like last year's Oregon, and (b) the showing up big in big games, but losing at the end due, at least in some part, to inexperienced coaching in the clutch (all of which suggested a brighter future)]; and there's sickeningly unsatisfactory, like a few games the first year (after which, miraculously, there were three last-minute wins from beyond the arc by not necessarily the guys you would think of), but also more of that this year to varying degrees, featuring a failure of heart/spirit, and culminating in Saturday's apparently planned fiasco (which could well be a stain on anyone's karma that would be hard to rub off). SO: If the new guy's bumpiness fits into the first category with a team with spirit that never gives up, and always improves and exhibits that inspiring moral tone, then No Problem, and the W/L record be damned - although I wouldn't expect a bad W/L record with such participants to last very long (see Monty's first years at the Farm, and Coach K's first years at Duke - where they seriously wanted to run him out of town on a rail).
mikecohen
Jeff82;842820912 said:

Dr. Tom Davis(?), although my recollection is that he left Stanford because he felt the academic requirements were too severe to get the players he needed to win. He was succeeded by Monty. Interestingly, Davis left Stanford after four years. Perhaps his comments were what led Stanford to give Monty so much time to get his system in, and allow it to work. Davis was an historian. Not sure who you're referring to.

As I recall, Davis got really good results while he was at Stanford, and it was entirely his choice to go to Iowa where the academic step-down was inverse to the heightened valuation of athletics
socaltownie
Shocky1;842821071 said:

the deal maker was putting together his golden parachute out of berkeley around the same time the bears went into their year end slump so the answer is no plus the porter family is originally from missouri...coach didn't think he could win big in berkeley with this administration team & their inability to get the dedicated practice facility shovels in the ground along with other issues like the lack of charter flights for road games & the misuse of the meb fund for operational recruiting costs instead of as the intended head coach discretionary fund when the dollars were solicited from guys like me

read my earlier post again re: the final straw, the bears practiced 3 times this season at a local high school, that's ****** up & that's on mike williams, ashwin puri & jeremy wang

the show me (the money) state#

Except here is the thing. I can pretty much guarantee you that a new practice facility aint getting opened till AT LEAST 2022. That is being EXTREMELY optomistic about how the time line would proceed. So if that is going to be the main reason for cal to retain the kind of coaches you want (and which arguably they must have) get ready to wait.

Now if you want, go be a reporter and quote the chancellor telling you something different. Cite your sources. But until you do you are a wanna be journalist.
Shocky1
SadbutTrue999;842821092 said:

i mean tough to argue with his effort, but does he read his own posts?

no, looking backwards in life is for losers

the time is now#

CalEnviroLaw
socaltownie;842821111 said:

Except here is the thing. I can pretty much guarantee you that a new practice facility aint getting opened till AT LEAST 2022. That is being EXTREMELY optomistic about how the time line would proceed. So if that is going to be the main reason for cal to retain the kind of coaches you want (and which arguably they must have) get ready to wait.

Now if you want, go be a reporter and quote the chancellor telling you something different. Cite your sources. But until you do you are a wanna be journalist.

Forgive my ignorance please, but what all is included with a practice facility? I mean are we basically talking about a basketball court? And if so, why couldn't Cal arrange a temporary/interim solution right now, perhaps at some nearby off campus location? Perhaps something creative, like renting a suitable location for Cal's exclusive use at the times the team needs it to at least have a stable, dedicated facility while the AD works on a permanent on-campus facility.
Shocky1
south bender;842821085 said:

I would add, immature.

is that a good thing or a bad thing?

socaltownie
CalEnviroLaw;842821121 said:

Forgive my ignorance please, but what all is included with a practice facility? I mean are we basically talking about a basketball court? And if so, why couldn't Cal arrange a temporary/interim solution right now, perhaps at some nearby off campus location? Perhaps something creative, like renting a suitable location for Cal's exclusive use at the times the team needs it to at least have a stable, dedicated facility while the AD works on a permanent on-campus facility.

What I saw in the renderings was essentially an addition to Haas. Courts, locker rooms, offices/film rooms. Supposedly multiple options (the main rendering was on the North side).

But again, I want to hear from a SOURCE that practice facilities are a critical problem. I figure they are. Everyone is getting them. Washington state isn't anything to write home about (you can find it on their web) but it is one. But like you I am deeply confused (why there isn't a solution to this - up to and including figuring out a way to cut a deal with Rec Sports....which I thought we HAD and then Shock reports there were three instances when there wasn't
TexWoodyGiants
socaltownie;842821124 said:

What I saw in the renderings was essentially an addition to Haas. Courts, locker rooms, offices/film rooms. Supposedly multiple options (the main rendering was on the North side).

But again, I want to hear from a SOURCE that practice facilities are a critical problem. I figure they are. Everyone is getting them. Washington state isn't anything to write home about (you can find it on their web) but it is one. But like you I am deeply confused (why there isn't a solution to this - up to and including figuring out a way to cut a deal with Rec Sports....which I thought we HAD and then Shock reports there were three instances when there wasn't

There is an $80 million budget deficit. Christ! A new Chancellor faced with this deficit! Unless private donors want to foot the bill, I don't see this happening.
socaltownie
TexWoodyGiants;842821125 said:

There is a $40 million budget deficit. Christ! A new Chancellor faced with this deficit! Unless private donors want to foot the bill, I don't see this happening.

40? Try 110 for the campus. Would have been 170 without cuts that are driving people crazy. Even with private donors the optics suck. We are on teach out for your program but building a practice facility for the team. But hey, shocky says it was the final straw so that must be it and Mike Williams sucks.
CalEnviroLaw
socaltownie;842821124 said:

OK. Thank you for that. I do remember seeing the drawing of the proposed facility. But it would seem to me that the arena is a much more important criteria for recruiting. And Haas is one of the biggest and best in the Pac12, great location on campus with steep rising rows of seats making for great sight lines and an intimidating look from the floor. And I mean, how many practice courts do you need? There are only 12 guys on the team.
socaltownie
CalEnviroLaw;842821129 said:

OK. Thank you for that. It would seem to me that the arena is a much more important criteria for recruiting. And Haas is one of the biggest and best in the Pac12, great location on campus with steep rising rows of seats making for great sight lines and an intimidating look from the floor. And I mean, how many practice courts do you need? There are only 12 guys on the team.

I can get the arms race. I also get the fact that _IF_ we kicked the team to the curb in February for practice space that would drive a lot of coaches crazy who then got a huge offer to bolt. But I also have a hard time believing that this is entirely true and/or propertly sourced journalism. Could be simply the related issue - Martin didn't have a relationship with his AD (which is a huge problem right then and there) to be able to get on the horn and say "**** man, I need space. Can you call up Rec and get me a block of time for the next 2 weeks? The guys will shoot with the intermural boys for 2 hours after the season and make their year)"
TexWoodyGiants
socaltownie;842821127 said:

40? Try 110 for the campus. Would have been 170 without cuts that are driving people crazy. Even with private donors the optics suck. We are on teach out for your program but building a practice facility for the team. But hey, shocky says it was the final straw so that must be it and Mike Williams sucks.

Well, just spoke with someone in the know who says the adjusted budget deficit is $80 million.
socaltownie
TexWoodyGiants;842821132 said:

Well, just spoke with someone in the know who says the adjusted budget deficit is $80 million.

Probably a moving target but here is a public source from 2 weeks ago. Again I would assume it goes up and down - in large part as they adjust for wat their "ARC" (Annual required contribution) will be on their health care and pension plans. Even with smoothing has been such a good quarter for their portfolio I assume they will see a reduction that will be helpful.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/investigations/the-public-eye/article136343853.html
CalEnviroLaw
CalEnviroLaw;842821129 said:

OK. Thank you for that. I do remember seeing the drawing of the proposed facility. But it would seem to me that the arena is a much more important criteria for recruiting. And Haas is one of the biggest and best in the Pac12, great location on campus with steep rising rows of seats making for great sight lines and an intimidating look from the floor. And I mean, how many practice courts do you need? There are only 12 guys on the team.

And the drawings of the proposed facility that I saw just showed the exterior, with some nice glasswork, etc., but not what would be inside. It did look nice from the outside.
Shocky1
CalEnviroLaw;842821121 said:

calenvirolaw, if you are an environmental lawyer your definitely not a dumb azz, so no worries

some donors including myself paid to brand & refurbish the gold gym in the rsf at the request of coach montgomery back in the day...but a worthless & thankfully now retired bureaucrat mike weinberger make it very challenging to schedule for the basketball team...the availability now is still limited which is why the final straw for coach martin was the bears practicing 3 times this season at a local high school gym, no head coach that is trying to win championships is gonna ever put up with that ****

the projected costs for the necessary dedicated basketball practice facility which is critical in the recruitment of 4 & 5 star elite athletes is $27 million with also the stipulation that the money is totally collected up front before construction can commence...we have a very generous lead donor of the facility but cal administration has been dragging their feet for several years & coach martin got tired of waiting

so what needs to happen now?...mike williams, ashwin puri & jeremy wang need to move forward with a smaller less expensive facility & then quickly fundraise the dollars to augment the lead donor...we are past the point of ******* talking about it any more of just walking around at cal sporting events without action on this project...i like all of these guys but they need to turn words into shovels breaking ground

TexWoodyGiants
socaltownie;842821135 said:

Probably a moving target but here is a public source from 2 weeks ago. Again I would assume it goes up and down - in large part as they adjust for wat their "ARC" (Annual required contribution) will be on their health care and pension plans. Even with smoothing has been such a good quarter for their portfolio I assume they will see a reduction that will be helpful.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/investigations/the-public-eye/article136343853.html

You're probably right. Just checked with my source. She said you might be right as it is a moving target. Cal owes so much on a loan. She's involved in budget and having to layoff personnel. At any rate, I don't see the University ponying up this kind of money.
CalEnviroLaw
Shocky1;842821137 said:

calenvirolaw, if you are an environmental lawyer your definitely not a dumb azz, so no worries

some donors including myself paid to brand & refurbish the gold gym in the rsf at the request of coach montgomery back in the day...but a worthless & thankfully now retired bureaucrat mike weinberger make it very challenging to schedule for the basketball team...the availability now is still limited which is why the final straw for coach martin was the bears practicing 3 times this season at a local high school gym, no head coach that is trying to win championships is gonna ever put up with that ****

the projected costs for the necessary dedicated basketball practice facility which is critical in the recruitment of 4 & 5 star elite athletes is $27 million with also the stipulation that the money is totally collected up front before construction can commence...we have a very generous lead donor of the facility but cal administration has been dragging their feet for several years & coach martin got tired of waiting

so what needs to happen now?...mike williams, ashwin puri & jeremy wang need to move forward with a smaller less expensive facility & then quickly fundraise the dollars to augment the lead donor...we are past the point of ******* talking about it any more of just walking around at cal sporting events without action on this project...i like all of these guys but they need to turn words into shovels breaking ground

Thank you for that. In the immediate short term, it seems that the new coach should get some assurances from the University on the guaranteed availability of the RSF court for dedicated use by the team, as needed, until the new facility is built.
TexWoodyGiants
Shocky1;842821137 said:

I wonder if those of you who have the funds to build the facility (100%) would add an amount to reduce University's overall deficit on the budget and outstanding loan whether the facility would be built?
Shocky1
CalEnviroLaw;842821142 said:

Thank you for that. In the immediate short term, it seems that the new coach should get some assurances from the University on the guaranteed availability of the RSF court for dedicated use by the team, as needed, until the new facility is built.

that's not gonna happen, the rsf is not under the control of the athletic department, it is a separate entity

what needs to happen is that the "amateur hour" description of the cal athletic senior management by a former head coach needs to end now

shovels in the dirt#
Shocky1
socal, what's your personal commitment to the cal basketball program, why don't you get season tixs for.a couple of hundred dollars to assure great seats when you travel to the bay area & also financially support the program?

your watching cal basketball on tv does absolutely nothing for the program in terms of generating gameday energy & revenues for the program plus it's also a bad precedent as a parent to teach your kids to be passive couch potatoes who rely upon others to take action in life on things they are passionate about
HoopDreams
I play at the RSF when ever I'm at Cal. I'd say most of the time the blue & gold gym is open for pickup basketball. Sometimes it's closed with a sign on the door "closed practice", and less frequently they hold other intramural or other uses of the space.

One of the big benefits of having a dedicated practice facility is not just a space to hold practices, but a space where players can shoot around or practice on their own, or with a couple teammates 7/24. That's certainly not available at the blue & gold gym.

Oh, and thanks to Shocky and the other donors for branding it. It's not just the team who appreciates the Cal branding of the gym. It's pretty cool to play there.

Shocky1;842821137 said:

TexWoodyGiants
Shocky1;842821146 said:

socal, what's your personal commitment to the cal basketball program, why don't you get season tixs for.a couple of hundred dollars to assure great seats when you travel to the bay area & also financially support the program?

your watching cal basketball on tv does absolutely nothing for the program in terms of generating gameday energy & revenues for the program plus it's also a bad precedent as a parent to teach your kids to be passive couch potatoes who rely upon others to take action in life on things they are passionate about

Shocky, not by way of criticism, but simply by way of observation, your comments appear very judgmental!
HoopDreams
Shocky1
TexWoodyGiants;842821151 said:

Shocky, you are very judgmental!

yeah my daughters shay & taylor (foto above from china's hainan island on the nite before my walking 36 holes rounds at shanqin bay hosted by chairman wang) tell me that all the time, no wonder they don't got any boyfriends (as a dad i kinda hope they marry a cal, stanford or ivy league grad that they love)

another sad love song#:rolleyes::rolleyes:
HoopDreams
[COLOR="#000080"]Grant Mullins[/COLOR] played just one year at Cal, but what a year he had!
As I watched him, I gained more and more respect and appreciation for his game.
He was a complete all around basketball player ... ace shooter, strong distributor, solid defender and ball handler, can get to the hoop and finish, and seemly never made mistakes. He was also clutch.

He averaged 10, 3, 2 and 1 (pts, rebounds, assists, steals). He shot 43% overall AND FROM 3 (team best), and 80% FTs (many at clutch moments of the game)

He scored 13, 17, and 11 vs NCAA tournament teams (South Dakota State, UC Davis and Princeton)
20 points vs ASU (including 5-8 63% from 3), 19 points vs UCLA (including 5-8 63% from 3), 18 points vs ASU (6-9 from 3)
Then when his shooting mate, Jabari went down in the first minute in the quarter finals of the Pac 12 tournament vs Oregon, he shot an amazing 7-8 from the field, including 5-5 from downtown Portland for 23 points.

He's had multiple 4 and 5 assist games, plus several big rebounding games, including 5 vs Virginia, 7 vs South Dakota State, 6 vs Colorado and ASU, and 8 vs OSU.

From all accounts, he was a great teammate and good student

Thank you Grant. You play basketball the way it is supposed to be played.
Thank you for coming to Cal

parentswerebears
HoopDreams;842821165 said:

[COLOR="#000080"]Grant Mullins[/COLOR] played just one year at Cal, but what a year he had!
As I watched him, I gained more and more respect and appreciation for his game.
He was a complete all around basketball player ... ace shooter, strong distributor, solid defender and ball handler, can get to the hoop and finish, and seemly never made mistakes. He was also clutch.

He averaged 10, 3, 2 and 1 (pts, rebounds, assists, steals). He shot 43% overall AND FROM 3 (team best), and 80% FTs (many at clutch moments of the game)

He scored 13, 17, and 11 vs NCAA tournament teams (South Dakota State, UC Davis and Princeton)
20 points vs ASU (including 5-8 63% from 3), 19 points vs UCLA (including 5-8 63% from 3), 18 points vs ASU (6-9 from 3)
Then when his shooting mate, Jabari went down in the first minute in the quarter finals of the Pac 12 tournament vs Oregon, he shot an amazing 7-8 from the field, including 5-5 from downtown Portland for 23 points.

He's had multiple 4 and 5 assist games, plus several big rebounding games, including 5 vs Virginia, 7 vs South Dakota State, 6 vs Colorado and ASU, and 8 vs OSU.

From all accounts, he was a great teammate and good student

Thank you Grant. You play basketball the way it is supposed to be played.
Thank you for coming to Cal

Huzzah!
Shocky1
Alkiadt;842821091 said:

It's the case.
Cal is the only school in the PAC12 without a dedicated practice facility.

alkiadt=cal meb donor
Shocky1

trevin, congrats on the big news that your mission assignment will be to montevideo, uruguay...hablas espanol, senor?

are you gonna finish your high school career at woodscross with a 4.0+ gpa?

no worries, the bears next head coach will visit with you in the very near future long before your july 4th mission departure date, make sure your passport is current

travel the world, start at the 2 for cal & love berklee (the plan)#:cheer:cheer:cheer:cheer:cheer:cheer:cheer:cheer
Shocky1
what up eric?

you & i got some stuff in common like being huge fans of mutt families of mixed descents & also going ape**** while stormin' the floor after big wins

[video=youtube;6b9hEa2GkMQ][/video]

boyz gone wild#:tree:tree:tree:tree:tree:tree:tree:tree
Shocky1
eric, that's me in the purple shirt stormin' the court after t-wall's epic moneyball against usc...i've done that **** multiple times & after the utah game this season the pac 12 administration sent a letter to cal stating that a "single fan rushing the floor can result in other fans following that unsafe action..." & basically that world harmony could be irreparably damaged & that cal will be fined $25k if they don't better secure the floor after games, ashwin puri showed me the letter & jay john told me i'd better get a seat belt & buckle up otherwise my floor seats might be taken away for a season

[video=youtube;N7QqouIxulM][/video]

eric, don't tell but i'm really not that interested in cal basketball, i just wanna storm the floor, does that make any sense to you?

i dunno maybe if you become the next head coach in berkeley you could invite me to your 1st practice & you could end it with a moneyball 3 pointer drill with seconds on the clock & then when jemarl knocks down a nba range ice in the veins daggar we both could storm the ******* floor & **** like that

sounds like fun to me, what do you think?...brothers from different mothers

restraint is for losers (we only gonna live once unless you believe in reincarnation & **** like that)#ork:ork:
Shocky1
when washington athletic director jen cohen found out that assistant coach michael porter sr had a backroom deal with the tampering coach martin to follow him to missouri with his sons, she fired lorenzo romar...zo is gonna be an assistant coach for the los angeles clippers

if coach martin has any ethics (and it's appearing more & more than he doesn't have many) he should not accept any coaching salary from cal since the bears road trip to the desert, at that point he was only nominally working for cal & the players knew it

jordan mathews talked to a teammate(s) & gonzaga (that's why the home & away games with the zags were cancelled) re: leaving berkeley as early as the middle of last season & coach martin called him not loyal & "self entitled"

the problem with our stars (the ugly unvarnished truth)#
89Bear
Shocky1;842821233 said:

when washington athletic director jen cohen found out that assistant coach michael porter sr had a backroom deal with the tampering coach martin to follow him to missouri with his sons, she fired lorenzo romar...zo is gonna be an assistant coach for the los angeles clippers

if coach martin has any ethics (and it's appearing more & more than he doesn't have many) he should not accept any coaching salary from cal since the bears road trip to the desert, at that point he was only nominally working for cal & the players knew it

jordan mathews talked to a teammate(s) & gonzaga (that's why the home & away games with the zags were cancelled) re: leaving berkeley as early as the middle of last season & coach martin called him not loyal & "self entitled"

the problem with our stars (the ugly unvarnished truth)#

I wonder how the 2017 recruits are feeling?
Shocky1
89Bear;842821273 said:

I wonder how the 2017 recruits are feeling?

i've already posted player by player status updates
dal9
Shocky1;842821233 said:

the csub game was sheisty no doubt but I dunno if this is fair in light of the Utah and Oregon tourney games
First Page Last Page
Page 106 of 186

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.