cal's monster class deux

1,375,711 Views | 6499 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Admin
TedordIsGod?
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shocky1;842821233 said:

when washington athletic director jen cohen found out that assistant coach michael porter sr had a backroom deal with the tampering coach martin to follow him to missouri with his sons, she fired lorenzo romar...zo is gonna be an assistant coach for the los angeles clippers

if coach martin has any ethics (and it's appearing more & more than he doesn't have many) he should not accept any coaching salary from cal since the bears road trip to the desert, at that point he was only nominally working for cal & the players knew it

jordan mathews talked to a teammate(s) & gonzaga (that's why the home & away games with the zags were cancelled) re: leaving berkeley as early as the middle of last season & coach martin called him not loyal & "self entitled"

the problem with our stars (the ugly unvarnished truth)#

Could something specific have happened before the @Utah game on March 2? The debacle that game was, and how flat and listless the team looked was palpable through the TV screen. Never seen anything quite like it with Cal basketball, or in basketball otherwise at any level for that matter. Had me wondering at the time if Martin had told the team some bad health news in the locker room right before the game or something like that. Or if a player had announced some major/bad family/personal news. It seriously seemed like the team was depressed, damn near on the verge of tears even, and wanted no part of being on that court or any other court on that day, right from the opening minute.

Now one really wonders what happened before the Utah game ...
BearChemist
HoopDreams;842821150 said:

I play at the RSF when ever I'm at Cal. I'd say most of the time the blue & gold gym is open for pickup basketball. Sometimes it's closed with a sign on the door "closed practice", and less frequently they hold other intramural or other uses of the space.

One of the big benefits of having a dedicated practice facility is not just a space to hold practices, but a space where players can shoot around or practice on their own, or with a couple teammates 7/24. That's certainly not available at the blue & gold gym.

Oh, and thanks to Shocky and the other donors for branding it. It's not just the team who appreciates the Cal branding of the gym. It's pretty cool to play there.

Blue & Gold gym are not just for pick-up basketball nowadays. Blue gym in specific has to accommodate badminton (club and open gym), volleyball (open gym and intramural games), dodgeball (yes there is an intramural league for this). Plus there have been increasing amount of events taking place in the main gym (career fairs, etc.), the pick-up games would be forced to the Gold gym in those situation. The capacity of RSF is way insufficient for the body of Cal students, not mentioning putting in exclusive practice hours for Men's and Women's basketball team there.

Been to UC Davis's RSF a couple of times, theie facility is way above what Cal students have. But Cal will keep finding spaces between existing buildings for new academic buildings.
Jeff82
BearChemist;842821314 said:

Blue & Gold gym are not just for pick-up basketball nowadays. Blue gym in specific has to accommodate badminton (club and open gym), volleyball (open gym and intramural games), dodgeball (yes there is an intramural league for this). Plus there have been increasing amount of events taking place in the main gym (career fairs, etc.), the pick-up games would be forced to the Gold gym in those situation. The capacity of RSF is way insufficient for the body of Cal students, not mentioning putting in exclusive practice hours for Men's and Women's basketball team there.

Been to UC Davis's RSF a couple of times, theie facility is way above what Cal students have. But Cal will keep finding spaces between existing buildings for new academic buildings.

This is one reason we have to downsize the intercollegiate athletic program, in terms of numbers of sports, for the long term. Even if it means a short-term hit from disgruntled donors, if football and basketball recover, and start generating additional revenue, it should go to support the recreational sports program, which will help generate more support for IAD among the student body. It's also why one of the sports eliminated should be baseball, so that land can be used for additional recreational facilities. It is also why one criterion for eliminating women's sports should be any sport that requires, for Title IX reasons, new facilities, that mostly aren't going to also be available for student use.
socaltownie
Jeff82;842821316 said:

This is one reason we have to downsize the intercollegiate athletic program, in terms of numbers of sports, for the long term. Even if it means a short-term hit from disgruntled donors, if football and basketball recover, and start generating additional revenue, it should go to support the recreational sports program, which will help generate more support for IAD among the student body. It's also why one of the sports eliminated should be baseball, so that land can be used for additional recreational facilities. It is also why one criterion for eliminating women's sports should be any sport that requires, for Title IX reasons, new facilities, that mostly aren't going to also be available for student use.

+1. Or look at moving Baseball off site (grad housing complex?)

We are trying to operate the sports program appropriate for a university that isn't land locked. Get beyond the $$$.....Cal doesn't have the SPACE to be able to do what they aspire to.
Jeff82
Again, you have to think long-term, which is why I think WIAF's point about contributions going down initially if we do this doesn't matter. It's a retrenchment, and part of retrenchment is often that things get worse before they get better. My goal is that as the revenue picture improves, we have some flexibility in how to use the dollars. As it is now, it looks to me like the size of the program virtually ensures that revenues will always be chasing escalating costs, which gives us no way to dig out of the hole we're in.
Big C
Shocky, can we build a Spartan-looking, but highly functional practice facility that sort of flies under the radar of the anti-athletics people in the University community? Maybe if it was somewhat west of campus (where the land is cheaper and more available, too), most people wouldn't even notice. Maybe it could even be INTENTIONALLY Spartan in its design, with the theme being "We don't need all that fancy s***!" Perhaps designed with a built-in future facelift/remodel in mind, down the road, when the University climate is better.

Part of the problem with the "new" CMS and High Performance Center was that it was RIGHT THERE where everybody saw it all the time, plus it was glitzy right when the recession started (and then there were all those "old" oak trees).
parentswerebears
I love these conversations about facilities and the behind the scenes stuff that happens right after the season crashes and burns. I don't know anything about this and always learn so much.
Shocky1
coach martin expressed extreme disappointment to ivan when young ivee advised him on the morning of the nit game that he needed to protect his injured body after a long grueling season

that reaction is disingenuous in that coach martin had secretly (well i knew about it) with the missouri athletic director jim sterk & the executive athletic director brian white 2 days earlier in private on sunday in the bay area, the deal maker's promise to bring along the porter family which had been in the works for weeks while the bears went into their year end slump put him #1 on the missouri coaching selection process

i get coach martin's 3 year accumulated frustration with the inability of cal administration (mike williams, ashwin puri & jeremey wang, referred to as the "amateur hour") to build the dedicated practice facility that he requested on almost day 1 which resulted in the team practicing 3 times this season in a local high school gym (he was told after returning from a road trip that the only available time on campus was at 5:30 am) but he did not act honorably during his final days in berkeley, not even close

but make no mistake about it i truly love young ivee for reasons that extend far beyond anything he's every done playing basketball on a ******* basketball court with a basketball

the fault with our stars (nobody's perfect)#:bigpuke:

Shocky1;842820744 said:

young ivee did not play in the nit because of discussions with his moms tami that morning, he made the right decision to protect his health at all costs & best prepare himself for the 2017 nba draft

truly love that family

diamonds are not forever (but they shine fiercely in berkeley when they do)#

Shocky1
mike williams, ashwin puri & jeremy wang need to finalize approvals, raise a couple more dollars & get shovels in the ground for a half the cost (the ideal facility got a total price tag of $27 million, the university now requires a significant contingency fund for construction cost overrides after the memorial stadium not coming in on budget) functional ("spartan") dedicated basketball practice facility in the already designated small parking lot north of haas pavillon

let's do this (******* today)#

Big C_Cal;842821374 said:

Shocky, can we build a Spartan-looking, but highly functional practice facility that sort of flies under the radar of the anti-athletics people in the University community? Maybe if it was somewhat west of campus (where the land is cheaper and more available, too), most people wouldn't even notice. Maybe it could even be INTENTIONALLY Spartan in its design, with the theme being "We don't need all that fancy s***!" Perhaps designed with a built-in future facelift/remodel in mind, down the road, when the University climate is better.

Part of the problem with the "new" CMS and High Performance Center was that it was RIGHT THERE where everybody saw it all the time, plus it was glitzy right when the recession started (and then there were all those "old" oak trees).
NVBear78
Would really like to see the announcement of construction on the new practice facility in tandem with the naming of a new Head Coach to show Cal is committed to winning in Basketball. This requires true leadership from the A.D. the Donors and the most of all the Administration. Can the key Donor's make this a demand as condition of their support?

In addition we need a temporary plan to free up more time in Haas and the RSF so the team can practice and players can shoot whenever they want. It has been an eye opening revelation to read that Cuonzo's team was forced to practice offsite at H.S. Gyms three times this year. What Coach and program can put up with that in this day and age? And what kind of Administration allows that sort of decision making by facilities managers.... This is why I dislike/distrust decision making by Government entities so much....
Vol70
If this all happened as Shocky says, then Martin was not fair to his players and the fans. He better win big at Missouri and soon, or his days as a P5 head coach are numbered. Of course if he wins, it's all good. There are many examples of less than honorable big time coaches in the NCAA. It might not be too much of a reach to say that it's the rule rather than the exception. I just feel bad for players who are asked to put their trust in a coach and then get betrayed. Hey, it's just business.
Bobodeluxe
NVBear78;842821461 said:

This is why I dislike/distrust decision making by Government entities so much....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6294[/ATTACH]
Shocky1
bobo, me & my little princess missed not seeing you at gamedays this season
ttgiang15
Shocky1;842821439 said:

...i get coach martin's 3 year accumulated frustration with the inability of cal administration (mike williams, ashwin puri & jeremey wang, referred to as the "amateur hour") to build the dedicated practice facility that he requested on almost day 1 which resulted in the team practicing 3 times this season in a local high school gym (he was told after returning from a road trip that the only available time on campus was at 5:30 am) but he did not act honorably during his final days in berkeley, not even close...

Well, that's certainly part of the problem. No incoming coach should be demanding facility upgrades. Promising anything of the sort to the next coach would be a tremendous mistake. Work with what you are given, that's what you signed up for. There are a lot of good things to embrace about the Cal basketball program and university. Being frustrated by the challenges is just an excuse.

Since the start of my Cal fandom (2005), Cal Athletics has made some significant progress on facilities. The most obvious is football. For the period between 2004-08, Cal Football was the second-best program in the Pac-10 by most metrics. It was argued that facilities (stadium + gym) were the last hurdle holding us back from joining the elite ranks. After $450+ million in upgrades, what have we found? Our recruiting is worse than before, there seems to be more player injuries, and on-field success has been elusive. Did I expect the program + recruiting improve after renovations? Truthfully, yes. At the very least, I expected both higher floor, higher ceiling for the program. As it turns out, we found an even lower floor in both performance and recruiting after the renovation.

Baseball has been pining for upgrades for as long as I could remember. Adding lights would allow for night-time play, which would bring more fans who can't come to afternoon games and also allow for hosting post-season games. A new video board would improve the fan experience. These were installed in 2012. Along with that magical World Series run, attendance did improve over the short-term, but has settled to pre-improvement figures. Even with that flash of success, donor sympathy from the recent cut, and some minor upgrades to Evans Field, the program has failed to capitalize. Baseball is just as bad as before, continues to bleed money, and still hasn't figured out a sustainable solution for paying its own way. And, if you listen closely enough, there are baseball fans who still complain about the west-facing diamond, and the on-shore flow making it difficult to hit home runs.

In 2012, a temporary press box and new bleachers were added to allow Cal Softball to host a post-season game at Levine-Fricke Field. From 2002 (National Championship) to 2012 (Pac 12 Championship), Cal finished worse than fifth only once. It seemed like a great investment for a quality program. Since the improvements, Cal Softball has not had a winning conference record in any season, and has actually finished fifth or worse every year in conference.

The new aquatics facility just opened this past year, and we'll see how that shapes the fortunes of the swimming and water polo teams. I can't really comment on water polo recruiting, but at least for swimming, women's recruiting has been off (even through progress of construction) and even with a diving platform for the first time, neither teams have found an impact diver who can score points at NCAA's.

Hellman has had significant improvements, as well. Both tennis teams were pretty good before, they're still pretty good now. As far as I can tell, domestic recruiting has improved, and better facilities has meant less dependency on international recruits.

At least in the recent past, upgrades to facilities have had neutral-negative impact on teams' actual performance. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Coaches should advocate for their teams, that's to be expected. However, given the state of on-campus affairs, we (as alums, donors, school administrators) need to do a better job of discerning wants vs. needs, and ROI. The examples above reflect any combination of programs leveraging recent success into facilities upgrades (which does not necessarily correlate into better teams), coaches blaming facilities as excuse for lack of on-field/court success, and in some cases, there was an actual need.
Bobodeluxe
Shocky1;842821484 said:

bobo, me & my little princess missed not seeing you at gamedays this season

My family and I were sitting in the corner, second row, just to the right of the Cal bench, from your perspective. I missed Arizona and Arizona State recovering from AVR open heart surgery on December 22.. Then I missed wazoo, after coming down with pneumonia. Sucky few months.

Like I wrote earlier on some thread, I'm not dead yet. ( just felt like it occasionally )

So, after this eventful week, how you doing?

Sat in the same seats for the NIT game. From all the faces on the players during warmups, something bad was going down.
socaliganbear
ttgiang15;842821583 said:

Well, that's certainly part of the problem. No incoming coach should be demanding facility upgrades. Promising anything of the sort to the next coach would be a tremendous mistake. Work with what you are given, that's what you signed up for. There are a lot of good things to embrace about the Cal basketball program and university. Being frustrated by the challenges is just an excuse.

Since the start of my Cal fandom (2005), Cal Athletics has made some significant progress on facilities. The most obvious is football. For the period between 2004-08, Cal Football was the second-best program in the Pac-10 by most metrics. It was argued that facilities (stadium + gym) were the last hurdle holding us back from joining the elite ranks. After $450+ million in upgrades, what have we found? Our recruiting is worse than before, there seems to be more player injuries, and on-field success has been elusive. Did I expect the program + recruiting improve after renovations? Truthfully, yes. At the very least, I expected both higher floor, higher ceiling for the program. As it turns out, we found an even lower floor in both performance and recruiting after the renovation.

Baseball has been pining for upgrades for as long as I could remember. Adding lights would allow for night-time play, which would bring more fans who can't come to afternoon games and also allow for hosting post-season games. A new video board would improve the fan experience. These were installed in 2012. Along with that magical World Series run, attendance did improve over the short-term, but has settled to pre-improvement figures. Even with that flash of success, donor sympathy from the recent cut, and some minor upgrades to Evans Field, the program has failed to capitalize. Baseball is just as bad as before, continues to bleed money, and still hasn't figured out a sustainable solution for paying its own way. And, if you listen closely enough, there are baseball fans who still complain about the west-facing diamond, and the on-shore flow making it difficult to hit home runs.

In 2012, a temporary press box and new bleachers were added to allow Cal Softball to host a post-season game at Levine-Fricke Field. From 2002 (National Championship) to 2012 (Pac 12 Championship), Cal finished worse than fifth only once. It seemed like a great investment for a quality program. Since the improvements, Cal Softball has not had a winning conference record in any season, and has actually finished fifth or worse every year in conference.

The new aquatics facility just opened this past year, and we'll see how that shapes the fortunes of the swimming and water polo teams. I can't really comment on water polo recruiting, but at least for swimming, women's recruiting has been off (even through progress of construction) and even with a diving platform for the first time, neither teams have found an impact diver who can score points at NCAA's.

Hellman has had significant improvements, as well. Both tennis teams were pretty good before, they're still pretty good now. As far as I can tell, domestic recruiting has improved, and better facilities has meant less dependency on international recruits.

At least in the recent past, upgrades to facilities have had neutral-negative impact on teams' actual performance. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Coaches should advocate for their teams, that's to be expected. However, given the state of on-campus affairs, we (as alums, donors, school administrators) need to do a better job of discerning wants vs. needs, and ROI. The examples above reflect any combination of programs leveraging recent success into facilities upgrades (which does not necessarily correlate into better teams), coaches blaming facilities as excuse for lack of on-field/court success, and in some cases, there was an actual need.

In 2017, having a Men's Gymnastics team is a want, a basketball facility is a need. It is not a luxury. It is simply the new normal of p5 basketball. Having one won't make us magically better. Not having one is a known barrier to success.

The football facility does not make the football team inherently better. Not having one would be a death sentence to Cal football. This is not 30 years ago when only Nebraska and Alabama had facilities. Same with basketball. If Cal is playing p5 sports, it needs to provide the basic resources of a p5 team. A practice facility is now a basic resource.
Shocky1

coach martin's hastily called final meeting with the players did not go over well with the assembled audience, nobody likes being pushed overboard into the freezing azz water, right?

he told the guys that he was "probably not going to be at cal next season" & that he was "looking at some options" without ever mentioning clearly his future plans/new employer, that lack of candor after all they've been thru together really upset a lot of the guys

4 days earlier he told the players in response to the coaching rumors that "i'm not going to leave cal," he flat out lied to them

ashwin puri & mike williams told the players that there's a list of 5 finalists (i'm gonna list them in alphabetical order, ok?) & that a hiring could be made in the very near future:

1) travis decuire
2) dennis gates
3) ben howland
4) eric musselman
5) joe pasternack

it's my understanding that brian shaw & randy bennett have also worked their way onto the short list

i'm still a big fan of roberta, gonna miss her "defense bears" yells with me at road games:cheer

the art of the deal (doesn't include honesty for some people)#:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang
oskidunker
Out of those,I take Travis. So whats the bullshit about a supposed national search? Is Mike Williams flying over the us with a pair of binoculars?
oskidunker
Pasternak wont be able to recruit black players. Howland is a jerk. Musselman will stay a few years and leave. Rather Dennis Gates. Jezz it seems like he was just a freshman here
HoopDreams
oskidunker;842821622 said:

Pasternak wont be able to recruit black players. Howland is a jerk. Musselman will stay a few years and leave. Rather Dennis Gates. Jezz it seems like he was just a freshman here

Is howland a jerk?
From day one, I said he was a bad fit for ucla
But for cal, he is 1000% better than P
Shocky1
oskidunker;842821622 said:

oskidunker, your sounding like a misinformed racist & that's a shame...have you ever met pasternack?

joe pasternack would be able to recruit black, white, international & mutts of mixed descent 24/7/365 as true student athletes...he's worked at cal, he gets cal's academic admissions & demands...he's our best chance to fundraise the necessary dedicated basketball practice facility (if this doesn't happen, there's no future beyond mediocrity for the cal basketball program)

anybody who is still holding the jorge thing against joe is a ******* loser
oskidunker
11 players transfered when Howland was the ucla coach. Then there is his acceptance if the dirty play if ReevesNelson, who also harrassed his own teammates
socaltownie
Shocky1;842821632 said:

oskidunker, your sounding like a misinformed racist & that's a shame...have you ever met pasternack?

joe pasternack would be able to recruit black, white, international & mutts of mixed descent 24/7/365 as true student athletes...he's worked at cal, he gets cal's academic admissions & demands...he's our best chance to fundraise the necessary dedicated basketball practice facility (if this doesn't happen, there's no future beyond mediocrity for the cal basketball program)

Folks. Watch this video. Watch Josh. This is the man that Shocky feels fine running the program. Speaks volumes.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=18881203
CalEnviroLaw
socaltownie;842821657 said:

Folks. Watch this video. Watch Josh. This is the man that Shocky feels fine running the program. Speaks volumes.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=18881203

Well, a coach kicking another team's student-athlete is never right, that it was a Cal student-athlete and at Cal just makes it worse. But it was several years ago.

Now, the U of A timeout debacle was just last week. And it was not funny, certainly did not demonstrate the type of sports culture we want at Cal, IMO, of course.

If he is interviewed, he certainly should be asked to explain those two incidents, and any other similar ones that may have occurred.
TexWoodyGiants
Shocky1;842821632 said:

I still hold a grudge. Call me what you like. But I wouldn't want Paternack even if he hadn't acted like a jerk and kicked Jorge and mouthed off the way he did.
HoopDreams

Shocky1
it's an hour after the bakersfield game & i'm done shooting baskets with cole welle's family at the north basket at haas, i'm talking to roxy about the avenida de las pulgas (avenue of the fleas) when i briefly spot roberta martin at the south entrance across the floor

roberta, i wanted to say goodbye to you but wasn't sure how you would feel about that so i did nothing, in retrospect i wish I would've walked over & told you how much i appreciate your indefatigable spirit

yeah coach martin married a good woman

HoopDreams
[COLOR="#000080"]Stephen Domingo[/COLOR] could defend 4 positions and was one of our top perimeter defenders, contributing to Cal's #15 defense.

Domingo was the first guy off the bench to sub for Rabb.
He took on this role, despite playing out of position and therefore made a big, yet unheralded contribution to this team.

He was a key player in Cal's win over NCAA tournament team, South Dakota State, when Rabb was unavailable, with 7 pts and 5 rebounds.

We don't beat UC Irvine without Domingo (another game Rabb was out). Domingo scored 11 pts, and grabbed a team high 9 rebounds in the OT win.

He had a number of other good performances in Pac12 games, including 6 rebounds vs ASU and Stanford, 10 pts vs Oregon State, and a lot of stats that ESPN doesn't focus upon, but Coaches know win games ... 1 or 2 blocks, assists, or steals in multiple games

Domingo was also an excellent student, attending the top 10 Haas School of Business.

HoopDreams

Shocky1
what up, guys?

yeah it's been a long week for you, recognize that if you stay together everything is gonna be all right

don't be a dumb azz#ork:ork:ork:ork:ork:ork:ork:

Shocky1;842821607 said:

coach martin's hastily called final meeting with the players did not go over well with the assembled audience, nobody likes being pushed overboard into the freezing azz water, right?

he told the guys that he was "probably not going to be at cal next season" & that he was "looking at some options" without ever mentioning clearly his future plans/new employer, that lack of candor after all they've been thru together really upset a lot of the guys

4 days earlier he told the players in response to the coaching rumors that "i'm not going to leave cal," he flat out lied to them

ashwin puri & mike williams told the players that there's a list of 5 finalists (i'm gonna list them in alphabetical order, ok?) & that a hiring could be made in the very near future:

1) travis decuire
2) dennis gates
3) ben howland
4) eric musselman
5) joe pasternack

it's my understanding that brian shaw & randy bennett have also worked their way onto the short list

i'm still a big fan of roberta, gonna miss her "defense bears" yells with me at road games:cheer

the art of the deal (doesn't include honesty for some people)#:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang
GoldenBear1
Disappointed in Coach Martin's exit choices

Frustrated by our AD and the failure to fundraise enough cash and begin construction on a practice facility. AD job #1, Fail

Concerned, where do we go from here

Love Ivan, will miss him, love our players, the current team needs help next year. PG, 2/3's, another big who can shoot from outside

Many questions

Are we going to compete to be the best?
BearGoggles
CalEnviroLaw;842821669 said:

Well, a coach kicking another team's student-athlete is never right, that it was a Cal student-athlete and at Cal just makes it worse. But it was several years ago.

Now, the U of A timeout debacle was just last week. And it was not funny, certainly did not demonstrate the type of sports culture we want at Cal, IMO, of course.

If he is interviewed, he certainly should be asked to explain those two incidents, and any other similar ones that may have occurred.

Actually, I completely disagree. Not sure if you know the backstory, but UCLA/Alford called a late time out in a similar situation in a prior game. It was payback and I have no problem with it. Miller was basically saying I'm not your B!tch and won't let you treat me like one. Cal could use a little (actually a lot) more of that in its athletic department.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/pac12/2017/03/11/arizona-sean-miller-rolls-ucla-steve-alford-timeout-with-1-second-left/99051062/
CalEnviroLaw
BearGoggles;842821753 said:

Actually, I completely disagree. Not sure if you know the backstory, but UCLA/Alford called a late time out in a similar situation in a prior game. It was payback and I have no problem with it. Miller was basically saying I'm not your B!tch and won't let you treat me like one. Cal could use a little (actually a lot) more of that in its athletic department.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/pac12/2017/03/11/arizona-sean-miller-rolls-ucla-steve-alford-timeout-with-1-second-left/99051062/

Yes, I am fully aware of the earlier incident as I watched both games live (see the "Arizona Timeout" thread that I started when it happened).

So, if someone acts like an a$$hole, the appropriate reaction is to act like a bigger a$$hole? I don't think so.

Sorry, not good enough. Childish and pathetic, actually. And not a good example for the student-athletes to learn.
Shocky1

cal's monster class exclusive announcement:

after significant due diligence in speaking with players, former players, coaches at the high school-junior college-college level & nba sources along with donors i strongly believe that joe pasternack is the best qualified candidate to become the next head coach for the california golden bears for the following reasons:

1) academics: of all the finalists pasternack as an assistant coach under ben braun from 2001-2007 is the only candidate along with my man travis decuire & dennis gates who fully gets cal's academics & admissions from a firsthand experience...there would be a steep learning curve (and lots of frustration like coach martin experienced) for guys like shaw, bennett & musselman, academics is the biggest issue facing the next head coach at cal & we need a guy who gets it from day one

2) dedicated practice facility: pasternack with the support of doug goldman is the best candidate to raise the necessary funds for shovels to get in the ground for the absolutely necessary dedicated basketball practice facility, there's no meaningful future for the cal basketball program from a recruiting & player development perspective until this gets done

3) age: pasternack is the ideal age, he turns 40 on april 15th...he has a work ethic reputation like me of 24/7/365...shaw, howland, bennett & musselman are too old

4) staff: multiple former players for pasternack have told me of his intense loyalty to them & that he will try to build a staff with former california golden bears, guys that get berkeley from day one, that's the best play along with retaining wyking jones (who is well regarded by the returning players, cal's go all the way up class (2017), current cal commit trevin knell & the program changing jordan brown)

5) recruiting: of all the finalists, gates & pasternack are clearly the most accomplished recruiters & that's truly the lifeblood of college recruiting...joe has an advantage over dennis with his west coast & international (a pasternack strength that needs to be exploited with cal's worldwide academic reputation) recruiting connections...for reasons i can't get into here, pasternack is the best person to keep together cal's go all the way up class (2017) & keep cal in the game for 2018 superstar jordan brown

pasternack is currently earring $375k working for the donut boy of tuscon (pasternack has also worked under bobby knight) & views cal as a dream job, his wife is roxy's sister, who would love to return to the bay area...cal would not be a stepping stone for pasternack, we could build something special in berkeley

it's kinda funny how when i started this investigative process of evaluating the potential candidates & making phone calls/sending out emails i did not expect this to be my final conclusion (thought it would be travis decuire who i lobbied for in the very 1st cal's monster class post back in the day, td would still be a very good choice) but an open mind (thanks to my yoga/meditation practice) has brought clarity re: the best person to lead the cal basketball program into the future

as the director of recruiting/player development & the most knowledgeable person on planet earth re: the cal basketball program having watched every second of action live in person this season i fully expect mike williams, ashwin puri & the senior cabinet to accept this recommendation & am looking forward to joe pnaternack's formal hiring as the next head basketball coach of the #1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world next week

life is not linear#

Shocky1;842801851 said:

davon dillard (2nd to the right in the foto below) beat up a teammate pretty severely in high school, commited to cal but didn't clear admissions, redshirted his freshman year at oklahoma state & has been in & out of travis ford's doghouse since then while struggling with academic issues...raised in a rough environment really hope davon earns his college degree in stillwater...no realistic chance he could've ever graduated from cal

oscar frayer (far left in the foto above) commited to cal & did not clear admissions, he suffers from dyslexia...he's now performing at a high very level on the court as a true freshman for thunder (just ask the waitresses at his restaurants) dan majerle at grand canyon university which academically is comparable to a junior college...frayer's teammate damari milstead from moreau catholic will be joining him in the desert next season as gcu is becoming a solid program as a new d1 school

tyson jolly commited to cal with the undetstanding it would be necessary to go to prep school but also didn't clear admissions & is currently redshirting his freshman year at baylor...raised by a single moms he's a good kid according to huf but still growing up from a maturity & responsibiity standpoint.. would've been a high risk for flunking out of cal

alec hickman commited to cal but didn't clear admissions, he was neither athletically or academically a good fit for the program, a scholly offer (which was accepted) was offered way too early in the recruiting process...he has since disappeared from the jserra roster & it's not known if he's even playing basketball anymore

unlv jordan cornish made a public commitment to transfer from unlv to cal but there was one small problem, he never got cleared/accepted by cal admissions & he spent last season at his hometown (new orleans) tulane, cornish should've never even been on cal's radar

bottom line, the staff tried to cut corners academically (all 5 of these guys had gpas under 3.0) for a brief period there (which is a fool's errand at the #1 ranked public university in the world) in the agreed upon pursuit of adding a more bad azz mentally/physical tougher componenet to the program but no worries as the director of recruiting & a champion of relentlessly targeting high gpa high character true student athletes i got this thing back on the right track

don't be a dumb azz (cal isn't for everyone)#ork:
6956bear
CalEnviroLaw;842821755 said:

Yes, I am fully aware of the earlier incident as I watched both games live (see the "Arizona Timeout" thread that I started when it happened).

So, if someone acts like an a$$hole, the appropriate reaction is to act like a bigger a$$hole? I don't think so.

Sorry, not good enough. Childish and pathetic, actually. And not a good example for the student-athletes to learn.

I understand the Jorge incident. But this timeout thing is nothing really. There are lots of backstories between the 2 programs. The T J Leaf recruitment is likely in the mix somewhere. Alford started it Miller finished it. So Joe thought it was a little funny. I do not have a problem frankly. Joe has some advocates in the Cal donor community. Some detractors as well. I look at his potential hiring as what is good for Cal. Not whether I like him personally or not. Musselman can be a little difficult as well. I know I have some things in my past that were not always handled in the best way. Same with most on this board. But our future job opportunities were not publically discussed nor our "character" determined by a couple of video clips. I am sure Cal will do their due diligence on any possible hire.

If they feel Joe is the right fit then I am on board. Competitive sports sometimes boil over the emotions. Both good and bad. A little fire may be a good thing at Cal. Jorge did nothing wrong in that incident with Pasternak, but many coaches and opponents felt that he occasionally took his competitiveness a little to far. Of course few hold Monty accountable for his on court incident with Allen Crabbe. Which in my opinion is far worse than either of the 2 Pasternak incidents (timeout thing is just silly IMO).
First Page Last Page
Page 107 of 186

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.