cal's monster class deux

1,375,753 Views | 6499 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Admin
UCBerkGrad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
89Bear;842821923 said:

People hung up on some heat of the moment reaction and the time-out are ridiculous!!! You're going to look in another direction for a coach over that??? Please!!! Grow up. What next??? Cancel out on prospective coaches over hair style?
I would be in favor of the hire if he can: bring in top recruits, bring in high character players, bring in guys who can compete in the classroom, etc...if he brings in former Bears to be on his staff??? Awesome! If he realizes the specialness of the number 1 public university in the world??? He's my guy!

Screw all of that then...just focus on him being a crappy head coach. Happy now?
89Bear
UCBerkGrad;842821930 said:

Screw all of that then...just focus on him being a crappy head coach. Happy now?

Yes, actually. If you don't want to hire him based on his coaching ability great...
UCBerkGrad
89Bear;842821932 said:

Yes, actually. If you don't want to hire him based on his coaching ability great...

I don't want to hire him mainly for his coaching ability, but as a Cal fan it is very hard to overlook what he did to Jorge.

I love Shocky's posts (mostly), but his personal relationship with Pasternack has blinded him that he has no business being the next Cal head coach.
CalEnviroLaw
89Bear;842821928 said:

If you don't think Phil Jackson, Greg Pop, Coach K etc.. have tweaked an opponent at some point in their careers you have not watched sports much.

Actually, I have probably played and watched too much sports for my own good, and I don't remember seeing a premeditated stunt quite like that one.
Shocky1
ucbg, for the record, i've talked to a LOT of people including his former players that's he's coached but i do not have a personal relationship (yet) with pasternack
Shocky1
oskidunker;842821916 said:

It was more fun in person until the performance byMartin in the nit. Quite possibly the worst performance I have ever seen at Hass or Harmon gym.

martin conceptually accepted the missouri offer from athletic director sterk during their "secret" meeting in the bay area last sunday, he was mentally checked out for the nit game & the guys knew it (and yeah, that's not speculation, that's 1st hand knowledge of that situation)

the deal maker#
CalEnviroLaw
How about Shocky as head coach with the fathers of the top 3 class of 2018 recruits as his assistants? I am sure that Coach Shocky would carve out enough $ from his salary to cover theirs. #LearnFromTheDealMaker

:p
Shocky1
UCBerkGrad;842821877 said:

You better have an amazing resume to justify overlooking assault on a college basketball player, especially considering said basketball player is a beloved Cal player.

Being a Sun Belt reject makes this a no-brainer.

ucbg, i would encourage you to become better informed re: katrina's impact upon the new orleans basketball program before you make disparaging comments re: joe pasternack's record there as a head coach, ok?

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/columns/story?id=4901875&columnist=oneil_dana

shocky is a mutt#
Shocky1
not gonna lie, the foto above brings tears to my eyes
CalEnviroLaw
Shocky1;842821965 said:

not gonna lie, the foto above brings tears to my eyes

Yep. Climate change is no joke.
UCBerkGrad
Shocky1;842821964 said:

ucbg, i would encourage you to become better informed re: katrina's impact upon the new orleans basketball program before you make disparaging comments re: joe pasternack's record there as a head coach, ok?

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/columns/story?id=4901875&columnist=oneil_dana

shocky is a mutt#

He took the job 2 years after Katrina. Had a chance to rebuild the program. Didn't.
Shocky1
UCBerkGrad;842821968 said:

He took the job 2 years after Katrina. Had a chance to rebuild the program. Didn't.

you clearly didn't read the article regarding declining enrollment & the necessary budget cuts
NYCGOBEARS
I'm going to do something rare and defend Shocky here. It's naive to think that Katrina didn't have a devastating effect on everything in Nola even two years later. Also, while I'm not convinced that the kicker is the leading candidate to replace Cuonzo, I believe that he should be given serious consideration. Bennett as well.
UCBerkGrad
Shocky1;842821970 said:

you clearly didn't read the article regarding declining enrollment & the necessary budget cuts

Good thing he had an excuse for his lousy record.
joe amos yaks
Shocky1;842821941 said:

martin conceptually accepted the missouri offer from athletic director sterk during their "secret" meeting in the bay area last sunday, he was mentally checked out for the nit game & the guys knew it (and yeah, that's not speculation, that's 1st hand knowledge of that situation)

the deal maker#

Give Coach M a polygraph or drop it.
oskidunker
As he would say"I had to make a play. What we need are guys that can make a play. "
TheSouseFamily
UCBerkGrad;842821977 said:

Good thing he had an excuse for his lousy record.

I'm not at all a proponent of Pasternack for a couple reasons but the Jorge incident and his UNO record are not at all relevant for me.
UCBerkGrad
TheSouseFamily;842821986 said:

I'm not at all a proponent of Pasternack for a couple reasons but the Jorge incident and his UNO record are not at all relevant for me.

Lol. Then what is?
socaltownie
Shocky1;842821902 said:

pasternack is a ******* competitor that didn't like the tj leaf commitment flip to the bruins & he let the rapist enabler in westwood know that, good for him

you on the other hand are a fake model tv fan that is unwilling to spend a couple of hundred dollars to buy season tixs(s) & support the team financially & with energy on game days, you got no commitment to the cal basketball program, that's your choice but don't pretend your invested in this deal because your not

No you have to understand - this is what goes for argument by shocky. It is really amazing. If you disagree with him he simply throws down "I am richer and fly to games. You should to. Thus you are fake and don't count."

Yup. He probably voted for Trump.
TexWoodyGiants
UCBerkGrad;842821988 said:

Lol. Then what is?

My reasons: Kicking of Jorge and his mouthing off; always wondered why Braun hired him. No college playing experience. Losing record at Tulane (although mitigated by Katrina). He always looks like a deer in the headlights. Sean Miller hired him. No reason to see why he should get the job over other more qualified candidates. Never met him, but he doesn't strike me as someone I would want to get to know, especially after he kicked Jorge. Plus, do you seriously believe he would be a candidate for Arizona, UCLA, Oregon, USC or Stanford, if their coaches should leave?
socaltownie
TexWoodyGiants;842822056 said:

My reasons: Kicking of Jorge and his mouthing off; always wondered why Braun hired him. No college playing experience. Losing record at Tulane (although mitigated by Katrina). He always looks like a deer in the headlights. Sean Miller hired him. No reason to see why he should get the job over other more qualified candidates. Never met him, but he doesn't strike me as someone I would want to get to know, especially after he kicked Jorge.

Supposedly he can recruit. The challenge (and it is near impossible) is how do you disentagle what he does on that front from Arizona? I just don't think you can and so you MIGHT get someone who can bring talent.....and you might get a spectacular failer.

But as I said someplace else. If the Whales GUARANTEE 28 million if he is hired you get the practice facility. Then if he has to be canned in 3 years you are at LEAST ahead. Worst is if that isn't the case.
Shocky1
socal, not that my politics are relevant to the pasternak conversation but i did not vote for trump:nono:

Shocky1;842504273 said:

visited this morning the recently opened nicklaus design group ferry point golf course just outside of nyc with panoramic views of the manhattan skyline

arrive from my hotel by cab at the clubhouse around 7:30 am to stretch & warm up at the practice facility

upon arrival the head golf professional tells me that ferry point's developer donald trump heard that as a golf digest & golf magazine rankings panelist that i had an 8:10 tee time and would i like to play with the donald at 8:20 am instead?

so i say sure, no big deal, let's do this

so we make the introductions on the practice green & the 1st thing i notice is that trump has the weirdest color hair ever (kinda yellow orange) & that he has total man boobs along with an oversized obnoxious red cap

i walk & carry my lightweight leather mackzenie bag while the donald drives a golf cart literally to within 6 inches of every green...just as annoyingly, we then proceed to play thru every group on the golf course in front of us (why does he do this, why not just take the 1st tee time?)...it's funny to watch people's reactions as he dictates the playing thru, some golfers are understandably agitated while others want a selfie with him on their phones, he very clearly enjoys all the drama he's created

so he tells us while we wait for the short par 4 8th green to clear that he thinks ferry point is one of the greatest golf courses in the united states (it isn't, there are at least a dozen courses on long island & the hamptons that are significantly better) & that he's qualified to make that statement because of his extensive travels around the globe playing golf, that nobody knows golf architecture better than him & that includes actual golf architects

so in front of his 2 buddies & his cart caddie i tell the donald that actually i'm one of the 13 guys (and the youngest) to have played the world top 100 courses & stare him down...total silence, one of his buddies who is the chairman of macys starts to laugh & donald play punches my shoulder kinda hard, he's been clown punked...whatever

dude is an interesting guy but playing golf with him is not really a celebration of the game but more like riding a roller coaster

you're fired, shocky#
TexWoodyGiants
socaltownie;842822061 said:

Supposedly he can recruit. The challenge (and it is near impossible) is how do you disentagle what he does on that front from Arizona? I just don't think you can and so you MIGHT get someone who can bring talent.....and you might get a spectacular failer.

But as I said someplace else. If the Whales GUARANTEE 28 million if he is hired you get the practice facility. Then if he has to be canned in 3 years you are at LEAST ahead. Worst is if that isn't the case.

Others can recruit (e.g., DeCuire). I don't believe he would be a candidate for Arizona, UCLA, Oregon, USC or Stanford or probably other Pac-12 schools, if their coaches should leave (unless perhaps, Shocky wants to donate his fortunes to get his friend hired).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travis_DeCuire
socaltownie
Shocky1;842822063 said:

socal, not that my politics are relevant to the pasternak conversation but i did not vote for trump:nono:

for cal's future dedicated basketball practice facility:headbang

Look I get that argument and it is a solid one. Hire Pasternak and if the program gets a long term ASSEST it is a no brainer because even if he sucks you still have the assest.

The problem is if the assest is at all wobbly then firming it is going to require him to produce....and again, it is impossible to disentangle him from Zona.....

As you well know, the things are different from the decade he has been away - both in respect to campus finances (his program will be under a microscope to raise and spend money wisely) and the admissions requirements. You and I both know that a number of Braun recruits would not be getting in under the current rules. So even if he is tireless does that translate into the capacity to land the kind of players he will need to? No guarantees in life but at least 2 things have to fall into place - the $$$ and his ability to recruit to cal because I think we ALL can agree that there are better X and O guys that are "in the mix".
stu
Would the donors cough up enough for the practice court if we gave Pasternack a 1-year contract?
stu
HoopDreams;842821823 said:

[FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=6]get it.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=6]Hard-fought 55-52 victory! Pac-12 7 for 7 in the first round.[/SIZE]
CalEnviroLaw
stu;842822069 said:

Would the donors cough up enough for the practice court if we gave Pasternack a 1-year contract?

Or maybe if we just put his name on it?
stu
CalEnviroLaw;842822072 said:

Or maybe if we just put his name on it?

Give Pasternack the contract but put Jorge's name on the facility.
CalEnviroLaw
stu;842822076 said:

Give Pasternack the contract but put Jorge's name on the facility.

How about the "Pasternack-Gutierrez Court"?
HoopDreams
[SIZE=7]Cal advances with a hard fought win, by locking down in the final minutes of the game

Asha provided the firepower with SIX 3s (on 9 attempts)[/SIZE]

89Bear
CalEnviroLaw;842821937 said:

Actually, I have probably played and watched too much sports for my own good, and I don't remember seeing a premeditated stunt quite like that one.

Why didn't you boycott after what Monty did to Crabbe?
stu
CalEnviroLaw;842822079 said:

For kickball?
BearChemist
CalEnviroLaw;842822079 said:

I insist Jorge's name has to precede.
CalEnviroLaw
89Bear;842822099 said:

Why didn't you boycott after what Monty did to Crabbe?

What?
HoopDreams
[SIZE=4]free throw shooting has been the bane of cal basketball.
but Kristine has obviously working hard to improve her FT shooting and it's showing big time in her improved FT shooting late season...
... and that hard work just paid big dividends ... as in a NCAA Tournament victory over LSU.

Cal needed everyone of her 7 for 7 free throws, especially the two clutch ones with 6.7 seconds left to protect the win.
and note her usual FT routine ... what ever she's thinking about, it's working.[/SIZE]

First Page Last Page
Page 109 of 186

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.