cal's monster class deux

1,376,500 Views | 6499 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Admin
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
89Bear;842822417 said:

Hey Shocky, no Justin Labagh on staff????

spoke with justin labagh who is the winningest head coach in the history of college basketball earlier this week re: his interest in returning to cal & he told me that he just finished up pitching batting practice to one of his sons in the city, he knows he couldn't do that if he became an assistant coach for the bears

trust me, 89b, i'm doing my due diligence with respects to the head coach & assistant coaches selection process

Shocky1
BearNecessities;842822414 said:

That's the best news I've read on this forum in months

no more, we got divorced

the deal maker#
Bobodeluxe
Shocky1;842822428 said:

no more, we got divorced

the deal maker#

:rollinglaugh::beer::beer::beer::rollinglaugh:
Shocky1

what up, trevin?

let's take a look at the facts, ok?":

*****you got a wonderful family that loves you
*****you are still the most underrated 3 point shooter in the united states of america this season, you will be competing for a starting spot at cal in 2019 if you can build s&c strength & improve your quickness
*****interim head coach wyking jones will most likely be part of the new coaching staff in berkeley, he loves talking to you about smores & stuff like that
*****you got a 4.0+ gpa, you are not a dumb azz, cal is still the #1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world
*****your girlfriend's name is berklee, she wants to travel cali with you in the future down pacific coast highway 1 & be closer to you
*****you are a high character individual that wants to help others less fortunate that's curious/compassionate about the world, good luck in montevideo, uruguay when you depart on july 4th

the university of california, berklee:cheer
Shocky1
jemarl, when coach wyking tells you to be patient & wait and see how this coaching staff gets put together at the end of next week, that's pretty good advice

but make no mistake about, if you stay will cal I'll also be coaching you up & signaling your 3 point moneyballs next season, ok?

life is full of unexpected challenges, jemarl, the losers in the world start talking **** about everything & panicking...that's not what you & me do, buddy, we're ******* problem solvers

my suggestion is that you go to a yoga/meditation class this week, do deep breathing exercises, that works for me...and yeah if the teacher is a curvy brunette yoga female with a flat stomach you can thank me later

life is not linear#
TexWoodyGiants
Photo of Pasternack that you posted--you might want to consider a different one. It's not the photo of one most would want the search committee to see (sorta like the one when he kicked and mouthed off at Jorge). Out of all your candidates, he is the one that would probably cause loss of more attendance.
TexWoodyGiants
Shocky1;842822427 said:

spoke with justin labagh who is the winningest head coach in the history of college basketball earlier this week re: his interest in returning to cal & he told me that he just finished up pitching batting practice to one of his sons in the city, he knows he couldn't do that if he became an assistant coach for the bears

trust me, 89b, i'm doing my due diligence with respects to the head coach & assistant coaches selection process

Why should he be an assistant coach? Shouldn't he be considered for the head coaching position if he is interested? Certainly so much better qualified than your boy, Pasternack.
BearChemist
So now Baker is no longer solid?
Shocky1
BearChemist;842822488 said:

So now Baker is no longer solid?

if cal hires joe pastrnack, retains interim head coach wyking jones & hires 1 or 2 of gates, robertson, midgley & richie, i fully expect jemarl to be solid

if cal hires eric musselman, there will be pressure for jemarl to look elsewhere which could also affect his friend juhwan

dangerous times#
Shocky1
TexWoodyGiants;842822478 said:

Photo of Pasternack that you posted--you might want to consider a different one. It's not the photo of one most would want the search committee to see (sorta like the one when he kicked and mouthed off at Jorge). Out of all your candidates, he is the one that would probably cause loss of more attendance.

real simple question texwoody, how many cal basketball games did you attend last season in person?
Shocky1
can you name the two pac 12 true freshmen that are gonna confuse/break the hearts of their fans when they publicly (decisions already made) declare their intentions to enter the 2017 nba draft?

kobi simmons (arizona): averaging 8.8 ppg with a crooked jazz 33% on 3 pointers will be joining teammates allonzo trier & lauri markkanen as early nba draft entrants & will be leaving tucson along with senior kadeem allen

iki anibogu (ucla): averaging 4.9 ppg including a crooked azz 53.8% on free throws & 4.3 rpg will be going teammates lonzo ball & tj leaf as early nba draft entrants & will be leaving westwood along with seniors bryce alford & isaac hamilton...did you know the bruins were 15-17 last season & that could be 15-17 again next season?

the fault of our stars (are ignored when your 18 years old)#
Shocky1
what up, olivier?

you been a silent commit to cal since your official visit in february, nobody else has known about that except me, your family & the former coaching staff

the #1 recruiting priority for the new head coach will be to connect with you & share their vision of the future of cal basketball program which includes you as a majority priority both on & off the basketball court

the haas biz school is still a worldwide respected b-school, wake forest not so much, don't settle for a plan b school until you speak with the california golden bears new head coach, ok?...he's gonna have a lot of experience recruiting & developing international players like lauri markkanen in preparing them for the nba...waiting another week shouldn't be a problem for you on what will be a 50 year decision

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (including toulouse)#:patriot

Shocky1;842806968 said:

como tele vous olivier?

you and your family got a pretty amazing travel itinerary:

cal: february 5-6

wake forest: february 9-10 (starting today)

central florida: february 13-14

vanderbilt: february 16-17

olivier, hope you are enjoying the sites along the way but let's be real here, the best roadtrip in the united states of america is california's pacific coast highway

[video=youtube;PT2_F-1esPk][/video]

cal is a dream school#

Shocky1
olivier, the san francisco bay area is one of the most diverse (which is important to mutts like you & me of mixed descents) & beautiful cosmopolitan places on planet earth with the world class haas biz school with ideal year round weather

winston-salem got a mediocre b-school & is located in a racist (always friendly to your face) little town that's the auschwitz of cigarette killings in the united states of america

sincerely hope you will wait until cal announces the next head basketball coach at the end of this week, time is on your side (which can't be said for the hundreds of millions of families around the world that have devastated by cancer by the remorseless rj reynolds company)

olivier, have you or your parents ever lost anyone in your family to cancer?

Shocky1;842807346 said:

what up, olivier, how's your official visit to wake forest going?

i visited winston-salem not too long ago as a guest of the old town golf club in order to play/walk their recently renovated coore & crenshaw masterpiece for a couple of days (also played the much underrated roaring gap)...with my influence in the worldwide golf course archieture rankings as a panelist for both golf digest & golf magazine old town is now ranked as a united states top 100 golf course...it's a beautiful design with a tight routing that maximizes the hilly terrain with interesting shotmaking strategies & controured greensites

while i was treated like royalty at the club (which is exclusively reserved for the bluebloods of the community whose generational families have benefited from the tobacco industry) as a mutt like you of mixed descent i obvserved subtle racism of blacks when off the club's property, there are still lingering issues of the civil war & slavery in winston-salem

i toured the tranquil wake forest campus & thought it contrasted sharply to the manufacturing facilities of rj reyonds tobacco company whose big biz money basically finances winston-salem...i made a point of touring one of the cigarette producting plants, did the deacon demons staff do that for you, your moms & dad?

are you interested in living the next 4 years of your life in a community whose economy is based upon the genocide of people around the world in the name of corporate profits?...are you interested in taking a stats class that focuses on how to manipulate raw data to try to minimize the cancer rate for children of mother's that smoked?

smoking kills#:nono:
HoopDreams
Shocky1
petalumabear;842822400 said:

He turned it down once. Plus, he's also a Clemson and SF State alum (was working on a PHd) so why not those schools plus the cash? I'm not saying it won't happen, it could but the fact that he already turned it down once makes it more likely he'll do so again. Unles, he turned it down for other reasons - such as he preferred not to travel as much, or he didn't want to work for Martin or something else. I'll defer to Shocky who knows him better than I do in spite of my also being an O'Dowd alum.

pb, lou richie told me he passed on the cal assistant coach last time for the following 3 reasons:

1) he didn't know martin well enough
2) he didn't want to put undue pressure on ivan to commit to the bears
3) he didn't want the perception that he only got the job in order to recruit ivan

go dragons (they are ethical fire breathers)#

LOUMFSG2
Shocky1;842822632 said:

pb, lou richie told me he passed on the cal assistant coach last time for the following 3 reasons:

1) he didn't know martin well enough
2) he didn't want to put undue pressure on ivan to commit to the bears
3) he didn't want the perception that he only got the job in order to recruit ivan

go dragons (they are ethical fire breathers)#

I think that was a great move by Lou Richie, for the reasons he gave. The perception around the motives for Cuonzo's offer and Lou's acceptance would not have been good. I have a lot of respect for Coach Richie.
socaltownie
LOUMFSG2;842822647 said:

I think that was a great move by Lou Richie, for the reasons he gave. The perception around the motives for Cuonzo's offer and Lou's acceptance would not have been good. I have a lot of respect for Coach Richie.

+1. Here is a subject on which Shocky and I can completely agree.

Edit

PS. I didn't realize that Richie holds a MA in Ed. from Cal and is working on his Edd from SF State.
Vineyardview
Seems offering someone close (coach or Dad) is a page in the Cuonzo Martin play book. He repeated the move for his first hire in Missouri.
SBGold
Vineyardview;842822653 said:

Seems offering someone close (coach or Dad) is a page in the Cuonzo Martin play book. He repeated the move for his first hire in Missouri.

Indeed, a pattern has emerged.
Shocky1
Vineyardview;842822653 said:

100% agreed

the deal maker#
Jeff82
On Pasternak, I agree you can't really give full weight to what happened at New Orleans, considering that he basically nearly had the program extinguished from under him by the university administration. More broadly, he comes across as an asshole. Of course, a lot of people thought Mike Montgomery was an asshole when he was at Stanford, and never sat down on the bench during the game. My suspicion is that if Pasternak comes here and gets us into the tournament his first year, the Jorge incident and his other obnoxious moments will be forgotten, particularly if he comes in acknowledging and apologizing for that incident. That said, the idea of him coming back does make me slightly nauseous.

However, I will remind everyone what I still think is the primary criterion--hiring someone that wants to be at Cal and build a program. I mean, Crean? By what logic could someone who coached at Marquette, a basketball-only school, and Indiana, which is for all intents and purposes a basketball-only school, be seen to view Cal as a dream job? Maybe if we learned he had a secret shrine to Pete Newell in his closet. Otherwise, hiring someone like that is just setting ourselves up for another three-and-out detour like we just went through. I feel the same way about Musselman. I also have that concern about Pasternak, although maybe increasing him from $375K to more than $1 million is enough to keep him here, if he wins and we then extend him for more. The other big question for him is whether his success at Arizona, which at this point basically recruits itself, can translate to Cal. Just no way of knowing that in advance, IMHO.
socaltownie
Jeff82;842822671 said:

On Pasternak, I agree you can't really give full weight to what happened at New Orleans, considering that he basically nearly had the program extinguished from under him by the university administration. More broadly, he comes across as an asshole. Of course, a lot of people thought Mike Montgomery was an asshole when he was at Stanford, and never sat down on the bench during the game. My suspicion is that if Pasternak comes here and gets us into the tournament his first year, the Jorge incident and his other obnoxious moments will be forgotten, particularly if he comes in acknowledging and apologizing for that incident. That said, the idea of him coming back does make me slightly nauseous.

However, I will remind everyone what I still think is the primary criterion--hiring someone that wants to be at Cal and build a program. I mean, Crean? By what logic could someone who coached at Marquette, a basketball-only school, and Indiana, which is for all intents and purposes a basketball-only school, be seen to view Cal as a dream job? Maybe if we learned he had a secret shrine to Pete Newell in his closet. Otherwise, hiring someone like that is just setting ourselves up for another three-and-out detour like we just went through. I feel the same way about Musselman. I also have that concern about Pasternak, although maybe increasing him from $375K to more than $1 million is enough to keep him here, if he wins and we then extend him for more. The other big question for him is whether his success at Arizona, which at this point basically recruits itself, can translate to Cal. Just no way of knowing that in advance, IMHO.

The problem is that you can NOT be an A-hole and go to the dean and faculty at the school of public health and get a slot for a grad transfer.

Now maybe we will never need to tap into that market ever again. I tend to disagree. But I do know that you can't be an Ahole and do it unless things have radically changed since my father was there.
Jeff82
socaltownie;842822675 said:

The problem is that you can NOT be an A-hole and go to the dean and faculty at the school of public health and get a slot for a grad transfer.

Now maybe we will never need to tap into that market ever again. I tend to disagree. But I do know that you can't be an Ahole and do it unless things have radically changed since my father was there.

That's true. But we also don't know if how he is on the court is the way he is behind the scenes. On the other hand, he went to Indiana and was a student manager under Knight. That's sort of a red flag (no pun intended) right there.
Shocky1
there are a lot of wild azz guesses/disparaging comments out there re: joe pasternack's personality by fans that have never met him

his former players who have actually spent years with him including ryan anderson are writing strong recommendation letters on his behalf re: his fierce loyalty to them, he's regarded as a player's coach & they love him

but there are fans who might not renew their season tix(s) if pasternack is hired, i get that, that's a real world revenue problem (as for fake model tv fans who don't buy tixs anyways, who cares what they think, they are irrelevant when it comes to the future of cal basketball)

so joe needs to follow my constructive advice below (ignoring the problem is not a viable option) & put his cal public relations problem behind him particularly with respect to the older california golden bears fans that are still offended by the kick

Shocky1;842821889 said:

agreed, this is how i'm gonna coach up pasternack for his introductory press conference:

mike williams: blah, blah, blah, blah...the selection committee traveled to uranus and back to find the best possible head coach...blah, blah, blah, blah

joe pastrnack: i'm excited and honored to be here today in berkeley as the new basketball coach at the #1 rated public university in the world

oski (jumps out of the crowd & kicks joe): ahrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

joe pasternack (fall downs & then picks himself up): ok, were even now, can everyone please move forward now?...i'm truly sorry for the jorge incident

laughter from the crowd with nods & smiles from everybody

joe pasternack: ok, with that behind us now, my first act as the head basketball coach is to affirm that shocky will continue to serve as the director of recruiting/player development in addition to his responsibilities with respects to gameday ticket sales and energy at haas pavillon and reducing the cal basketball program's global carbon footprint on planet earth

trust me, this press conference clip will be played a million times plus that evening on espn & then youtube, every potential targeted recruit in north america & its territories will know that joe pasternack is the head coach at cal & that he got a sense of humor...free publicity is the best publicity

shocky got all the solutions (and then some)#:buttkick:
south bender
Shocky1;842822774 said:

there are a lot of wild azz guesses/disparaging comments out there re: joe pasternack's personality by fans that have never met him

his former players who have actually spent years with him including ryan anderson are writing strong recommendation letters on his behalf re: his fierce loyalty to them, he's regarded as a player's coach & they love him

but there are fans who might not renew their season tix(s) if pasternack is hired, i get that, that's a real world revenue problem (as for fake model tv fans who don't buy tixs anyways, who cares what they think, they are irrelevant when it comes to the future of cal basketball)

so joe needs to follow my constructive advice below (ignoring the problem is not a viable option) & put his cal public relations problem behind him particularly with respect to the older california golden bears fans that are still offended by the kick

The puerile, clownish nature of your proposal says tons about you, Shocky, and why should anyone expect more?
Shocky1
south bender;842822818 said:

The puerile, clownish nature of your proposal says tons about you, Shocky, and why should anyone expect more?

i dunno maybe because your a dumb azz?
Alkiadt
Shocky1;842822820 said:

Ummm
"You're"....?

Couldn't resist.
south bender
Shocky1;842822820 said:

That must be it!
Shocky1
both of you be dumb azzs

don't be a dumb azz#
Shocky1
puerile is a big word, shocky don't like big words
UCBerkGrad
Shocky1;842822774 said:

(as for fake model tv fans who don't buy tixs anyways, who cares what they think, they are irrelevant when it comes to the future of cal basketball)

While I understand where you are coming from here, I'm not sure it is accurate.

It seems college football and basketball are primarily built on the TV revenue model vs the in-game fan experience. I would be curious to see a comparison of revenue sources between ticket sales (and game day concessions, merch, etc) vs TV revenue.

Which one generates more scrilla?
Shocky1
ucbg, there's also gameday energy in the haas, fake model tv fans like vineydrugs are irrelevant
stu
UCBerkGrad;842822849 said:

It seems college football and basketball are primarily built on the TV revenue model vs the in-game fan experience. I would be curious to see a comparison of revenue sources between ticket sales (and game day concessions, merch, etc) vs TV revenue.

There's also the effect screaming fans have on the game. Screaming at the TV just doesn't seem the same.
Shocky1
stu;842822854 said:

There's also the effect screaming fans have on the game. Screaming at the TV just doesn't seem the same.

stu, if you told me you were a brother by a different mother i would believe you

cal basketball is kinda like sex, it's more fun in person

[video=youtube;OaKVy-FlaUA][/video]

happy idiots (watching tv)#
stu
Shocky1;842822856 said:

stu, if you told me you were a brother by a different mother i would believe you

Most likely very different. Mine wouldn't abide a TV in the house. Or golf clubs.
First Page Last Page
Page 111 of 186

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.