cal's monster class deux

1,375,691 Views | 6499 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Admin
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
stu;842822860 said:

Most likely very different. Mine wouldn't abide a TV in the house. Or golf clubs.

i also grew up in tv less house, we talked as a family & read books

tvs are for losers#
socaltownie
UCBerkGrad;842822849 said:

While I understand where you are coming from here, I'm not sure it is accurate.

It seems college football and basketball are primarily built on the TV revenue model vs the in-game fan experience. I would be curious to see a comparison of revenue sources between ticket sales (and game day concessions, merch, etc) vs TV revenue.

Which one generates more scrilla?

No he surely is right. I just think he is a joke to pester people that live 500 miles away.

Cal probably "makes" pennies (if that) per eyeball on the TV screen. And probably less than that for BB (which essentially is a throw away add on to the Pac-12 contract). ESPN is slightly different - because of carriage rates and the (dinosaur) cable model. COntrast that to probably a gross margin of 30-40% on a tix sale....and of course the energy in the building.

But until Cal pulls its game from TV and stops encouraging us to watch the boob tobe I am going with the AD as to who is a "fan"
Cal8285
Shocky1;842822856 said:

stu, if you told me you were a brother by a different mother i would believe you

cal basketball is kinda like sex, it's more fun in person
Of course, keep in mind this depends on the quality of the sex. With the wrong person, sex is more miserable in person. I only missed one regular season home game this year due to an unavoidable conflict. I purposely missed the NIT game, however, and boy, am I glad I did. I was worried it would be like bad sex, and based on a) reports from those I know who attended in person, and b) watching it myself on TV, as bad as it was on TV, it was even more miserable in person.

Around a week ago, you threatened to stop attending games in person, suggesting you had better things to do in life if Cuonzo left. Things quickly changed for you, but be careful of knocking others for doing what you so recently threatened to do yourself.
Shocky1
i would also point out the obvious that there's a correlation between fake model tv fans & guys who ride in golf carts & obesity

you don't get a flat stomach by sitting on your azz is front of the tv

tvs are for losers#
Shocky1
Cal8285;842822866 said:

Of course, keep in mind this depends on the quality of the sex. With the wrong person, sex is more miserable in person. I only missed one regular season home game this year due to an unavoidable conflict. I purposely missed the NIT game, however, and boy, am I glad I did. I was worried it would be like bad sex, and based on a) reports from those I know who attended in person, and b) watching it myself on TV, as bad as it was on TV, it was even more miserable in person.

Around a week ago, you threatened to stop attending games in person, suggesting you had better things to do in life if Cuonzo left. Things quickly changed for you, but be careful of knocking others for doing what you so recently threatened to do yourself.

i like you 8285, you talk a lot of **** that makes sense to me (plus you go to all the home games)

bad & boujee#
Shocky1

philadelphia 76ers prez & general manager bryan colangelo (started his career with the phoenix suns) scouted ivan rabb at a recent game & couldn't believe that the bears didn't schematically have any cutters attacking the basket when young ivee was double & sometimes triple teamed..."that's a poorly coached team" re: the stationary standing bears while rabb was swarmed

the story behind the numbers#:headbang
Bobodeluxe
Shocky1;842822894 said:

philadelphia 76ers prez & general manager bryan colangelo (started his career with the phoenix suns) scouted ivan rabb at a recent game & couldn't believe that the bears didn't schematically have any cutters attacking the basket when young ivee was double & sometimes triple teamed..."that's a poorly coached team" re: the stationary standing bears while rabb was swarmed

the story behind the numbers#:headbang

Didn't take an NBA honcho to see that.

That poor coaching was good fo $21M, guaranteed!

Hire a local high school coach.
Shocky1
Bobodeluxe;842822905 said:

Didn't take an NBA honcho to see that.

That poor coaching was good fo $21M, guaranteed!

Hire a local high school coach.

martin is a great recruiter, he got paid
ThesePretzels
Shocky1;842822894 said:

Clearly, he didn't watch too many Cal games. This was a coaching problem -- but at the recruiting level. Outside of Jabari Bird, no one was capable of finishing at the rim.

Coleman did towards the end of the year, but that was almost exclusively off his own dribble. Sam is actually great at the rim, but he became so tentative offensively that he rarely did it unless the shot clock was winding down.

For all the high school accolades on the team -- McDonald's All-Americans, Mr. Illinois -- we didn't really have too many long, lean, athletic types that are dominating college basketball. They're good students and nice people though, which counts for a lot.
Bobodeluxe
ThesePretzels;842822921 said:

Clearly, he didn't watch too many Cal games. This was a coaching problem -- but at the recruiting level. Outside of Jabari Bird, no one was capable of finishing at the rim.

Coleman did towards the end of the year, but that was almost exclusively off his own dribble. Sam is actually great at the rim, but he became so tentative offensively that he rarely did it unless the shot clock was winding down.

For all the high school accolades on the team -- McDonald's All-Americans, Mr. Illinois -- we didn't really have too many long, lean, athletic types that are dominating college basketball. They're good students and nice people though, which counts for a lot.

We had some "long and lean", but not so much athletic. This is compared to many players on other teams. Compared to 99+% of the public, the guys are all freaks. That's why you should go to NIT games, or early no-name games. Move down to the front rows and be amazed.
HoopDreams
[SIZE=4]The baylor bears were too big, deep and talented for the young golden bears.
Cal kept it close for the first quarter, but you gotta give it up to baylor who played efficient team ball.

the bears will lick their wounds tonight, but they should keep their heads up high as few teams in America can hang with #1 baylor this year, especially playing on their home court[/SIZE]

Shocky1
http://www.si.com/vault/2010/08/30/105976958/anything-but-big-and-easy#

anything but big & easy (thousands of lives forever lost)#:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
Shocky1
got some good news, olivier

a senior cal athletic department executive confirmed for me today that berkeley is gonna receive $1,200,000 from martin (cash supplied by missouri) as part of the buyout terms of the in force contract

since your gonna be hopefully a future haas biz school grad like me & my monster buddy hoop dreams, i'm routing your dedicated basketball practice facility conceptual plan in the foto below to mike williams, ashwin puri & jeremy wang so they can get some shovels in the ground

your brilliant, olivier, save construction costs (less labor & materials) with no roof...btw there a ****load of palm trees in california, not so much in the nasty humid racist south in the summer which turns into the freezing azz cold racist south in the winter

what's your dream, olivier, who's behind the mask?

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (including the garonne river)
Shocky1
1st 4 interviews completed:

travis decuire: td is my #2 ranked candidate, he is a tireless non drama high character recruiter that has been mentored by mike montgomery...decuire understand cal academics/admissions & was in charge of player degree progress while he was in berkeley...he could potentially flip his relative 2017 top 50 former cal silent commit back in the day seattle native jaylen nowell who is currently a washington commit

russ turner: another hard working drama free mike montgomery protege, turner worked for the master at both stanford & the golden state warriors...turner is an excellent gameday coach & uc irvine academics are kinda comparable to cal...turner is my #3 ranked candidate

jim les: current uc davis head coach led his unselfish & disciplined aggies to the ncca tournament this season with a 23-15 record, another candidate that gets berkeley academics...53 years old is too old for the cal job, sorry jim

eric musselman: the best gameday coach/strategist among all the candidates having been a nba head coach for the golden state warriors & sacramento kings with no hobbies outside of basketball...but every nba source i've talked to views musselman as a very difficult personality (kinda like the immature dykes), someone that could implode at any time which explains why he's never lasted more than a couple of years anywhere his entire career...he's never recruited high gpa student athletes & would likely get very frustrated very quickly with cal admissions...a very dangerous candidate who could set the cal basketball program back a decade if the simmering volcano erupts...high risk/high reward candidate
Shocky1
drake high school grad steve lavin is interested & he got good hair but he's not gonna be interviewed

sorry steve

FrankBear21
Shocky, has Pasternack not been interviewed?

I don't get the NO argument. He was 16-6 in his last year there, hardly a poor record. If he is the guy who gets the practice facility built, then this is a no brainer for me. It's not like we have some guaranteed winner who is drooling over the job.
Shocky1
FrankBear21;842823056 said:

I don't get the NO argument. He was 16-6 in his last year there, hardly a poor record. If he is the guy who gets the practice facility built, then this is a no brainer for me. It's not like we have some guaranteed winner who is drooling over the job.

frank, hiring someone who doesn't understand cal academics/admissions from 1st hand experience is a fool's errand...the vast majority of college coaches (like the names randomly thrown out on this board) & all nba coaches have never dealt with the frustration of needing to recruit just 3.0+ gpa guys, the very articulate jaylen brown just barely cleared cal admissions

hiring anyone other than joe pasternack or travis decuire who have successfuly recruited high gpa true student athletes while in berkeley is a clown's errand but i get it, misinformed fans want a sexy/splashy hire not fully understanding the requirements & skill sets for being a successful cal head basketball coach

i'm checking to see if the donut boy of tucson is gonna allow pasternack to interview before the wildcats season is over, that could be a significant complicating factor in this process

clowns are ******* dangerous#
parentswerebears
shocky1;842823059 said:

very.
FrankBear21
I could understand him not wanting his coaches to interview while their team is still alive. That is fair.
socaltownie
Shocky1;842823059 said:

frank, hiring someone who doesn't understand cal academics/admissions from 1st hand experience is a fool's errand...the vast majority of college coaches (like the names randomly thrown out on this board) & all nba coaches have never dealt with the frustration of needing to recruit just 3.0+ gpa guys, the very articulate jaylen brown just barely cleared cal admissions

hiring anyone other than joe pasternack or travis decuire who have successfuly recruited high gpa true student athletes while in berkeley is a clown's errand but i get it, misinformed fans want a sexy/splashy hire not fully understanding the requirements & skill sets for being a successful cal head basketball coach

i'm checking to see if the donut boy of tucson is gonna allow pasternack to interview before the wildcats season is over, that could be a significant complicating factor in this process

Turner has had to recruit from a limited pool as well. Indeed, as a HC he has a much greater level of interaction with the "powers that be" in that respect

It isn't Cal by any means but it is still moderately selective.

http://www.prepscholar.com/sat/s/colleges/UC-Irvine-SAT-scores-GPA
BearlyCareAnymore
Shocky1;842823059 said:

I am not pro or con on Pasternack, but there is a difference between having experience recruiting at Cal and having experience recruiting under the current requirements. Cal basketball's grad rate during the era that Pasternack was an assistant was abysmal. Not blaming that on him, but just saying I don't think it is accurate to claim he was successfully recruiting high gpa true-student athletes while in Berkeley.

So I guess that means that Decuire is the only possible candidate. If success in every phase coaching at Cal is going to be the only criteria, I'd say that we will be limiting ourselves to Coach Noah Body.
bluesaxe
It was still a schematic problem, one that existed the entire time Rabb was at Cal. You could run Sam Singer on that cut and score. You could run Domingo on that cut and score. Or the cut makes another defender react leaving someone wide open. It's not rocket science, and it drove me crazy for two years.

ThesePretzels;842822921 said:

Shocky1
the head coach at academically mediocre schools like wichita state (love them shockers), nevada (gregg gottlieb tried to recruit cameron oliver until he realized his 2.7 gpa was never get him accepted at cal), san diego state (gregg gottliebe tried to recruit malik pope until he realized his 2.6 gpa was never gonna be ok with cal admissions), etc. can recruit 90 of the top 100 players in the united states in any given year...thinking that coaches that have spent their entire career assembling basketball rosters with sub 3.0 gpa guys can be successful in berkeley is a fool's errand, many misinformed cal fans fail to grasp that concept

the head coach of the cal basketball program can recruit 15-20 of these top 100 players because of gpa admissions requirements...fortunately for them they got cal's monster class to level the playing field in closing on these guys like ivan rabb & jaylen brown who read the monster while in high school

still love them shockers tho

don't be a ******* dumb azz clown#
Big C
FrankBear21;842823056 said:

These were the first four interviews, not "the four finalists".

Don't be surprised if a surprising name or two appear at some point. Remember last time: All the names mentioned here, over a period of weeks. Then CM's name suddenly comes up, hours before the press conference.
Shocky1

cal's monster class exclusive announcement: it's confirmed that the donut boy of tuscon will not stand in the way of his key employee joe paternack interviewing for the cal head coach position until the arizona season is concluced (which will hopefully be thursday nite in san jose)

the year of living dangerously#
Shocky1
wyking, you gotta return all texts & phone calls particularly to the las vegas prospects
Shocky1

dennis gates is not being interviewed by the selection committee for the head coaching position at cal, the only candidate that could realistically bring in dennis as an associate head coach is joe pasternack because of their longtime relationship

Shocky1;842821761 said:

cal's monster class exclusive announcement:

after significant due diligence in speaking with players, former players, coaches at the high school-junior college-college level & nba sources along with donors i strongly believe that joe pasternack is the best qualified candidate to become the next head coach for the california golden bears for the following reasons:

1) academics: of all the finalists pasternack as an assistant coach under ben braun from 2001-2007 is the only candidate along with my man travis decuire & dennis gates who fully gets cal's academics & admissions from a firsthand experience...there would be a steep learning curve (and lots of frustration like coach martin experienced) for guys like shaw, bennett & musselman, academics is the biggest issue facing the next head coach at cal & we need a guy who gets it from day one

2) dedicated practice facility: pasternack with the support of doug goldman is the best candidate to raise the necessary funds for shovels to get in the ground for the absolutely necessary dedicated basketball practice facility, there's no meaningful future for the cal basketball program from a recruiting & player development perspective until this gets done

3) age: pasternack is the ideal age, he turns 40 on april 15th...he has a work ethic reputation like me of 24/7/365...shaw, howland, bennett & musselman are too old

4) staff: multiple former players for pasternack have told me of his intense loyalty to them & that he will try to build a staff with former california golden bears, guys that get berkeley from day one, that's the best play along with retaining wyking jones (who is well regarded by the returning players, cal's go all the way up class (2017), current cal commit trevin knell & the program changing jordan brown)

5) recruiting: of all the finalists, gates & pasternack are clearly the most accomplished recruiters & that's truly the lifeblood of college recruiting...joe has an advantage over dennis with his west coast & international (a pasternack strength that needs to be exploited with cal's worldwide academic reputation) recruiting connections...for reasons i can't get into here, pasternack is the best person to keep together cal's go all the way up class (2017) & keep cal in the game for 2018 superstar jordan brown

6) game planning against pac 12 opponents: only joe pasternack & travis decuire have had experience in successfuly game planning against all the pac 12 opponents & td hasn't done so in a couple of years...joe knows the pac 12 inside & out, arizona has methodically outschemed pac 12 opponents including cal to successfully exploit opportunities on the floor...when cole welle came into the game in berkeley, sitting directly across from the arizona bench i saw the donut boy of tucson & joe excitedly instruct/direct lauri markkanen to relentlessly attack the basket 3 times in a row which they successfully did...when oregon state's drew eubanks got injured in the pac 12 tournament & rabb was then guarded by a much shorter walk on, coach martin & his staff failed to capitalize on that opportunity & to be honest with you that's just really bad ******* coaching

pasternack is currently earring $375k working for the donut boy of tuscon (pasternack has also worked under bobby knight) & views cal as a dream job, his wife is roxy's sister, who would love to return to the bay area...cal would not be a stepping stone for pasternack, we could build something special in berkeley

it's kinda funny how when i started this investigative process of evaluating the potential candidates & making phone calls/sending out emails i did not expect this to be my final conclusion (thought it would be travis decuire who i lobbied for in the very 1st cal's monster class post back in the day, td would still be a very good choice) but an open mind (thanks to my yoga/meditation practice) has brought clarity re: the best person to lead the cal basketball program into the future

as the director of recruiting/player development & the most knowledgeable person on planet earth (other than true insider califortunate) re: the cal basketball program having watched every second of action live in person this season i fully expect mike williams, ashwin puri & the senior cabinet to accept this recommendation & am looking forward to joe pnaternack's formal hiring as the next head basketball coach of the #1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world next week

life is not linear#

factual documentation re: point #5 recruiting

cal-joe pasternack lead recruiter
ryan anderson (like many of the listed players below has written a letter of support for pasternack)
leon powe
patrick christopher
harper kamp
ayinda ubaka
devon hardin
marquise kately
amit tamir
richard midgley
nikola knezevic
omar wilkes
jordan wilkes

cal-joe pasternack helped recruit
rod benson
dominic mcguire
theo robertson
jerome randle

arizona-joe pastrnack
stanely johnson
brandon ashley
aaron gordon
lauri markkanen
duscan ristic
chance comanche
parker jackson-cartwright
grant jerrett
allonzo trier
gabe york
elliott pitts
rhondae hollis-jefferson
kaleb tarczewski
Shocky1
warning: do not believe fake rivals of the monster that a new coach has been hired
Shocky1
criminal update: brandon mccoy to oregon, multiple players (almost half the roster) including casey benson will not return to eugene next season
TexWoodyGiants
Shocky1;842823223 said:

dennis gates is not being interviewed by the selection committee for the head coaching position at cal, the only candidate that could realistically bring in dennis as an associate head coach is joe pasternack because of their longtime relationship

factual documentation re: point #5 recruiting

cal-joe pasternack lead recruiter
ryan anderson (like many of the listed players below has written a letter of support for pasternack)
leon powe
patrick christopher
harper kamp
ayinda ubaka
devon hardin
marquise kately
amit tamir
richard midgley
nikola knezevic
omar wilkes
jordan wilkes

cal-joe pasternack helped recruit
rod benson
dominic mcguire
theo robertson
jerome randle

arizona-joe pastrnack
stanely johnson
brandon ashley
aaron gordon
lauri markkanen
duscan ristic
chance comanche
parker jackson-cartwright
grant jerrett
allonzo trier
gabe york
elliott pitts
rhondae hollis-jefferson
kaleb tarczewski

I recall Midnight Madness back when Kately , who was still trying to get academically qualified, showed up for the game in sweats with the test scheduled for the next morning. Does Pasternack really believe that the Arizona players and Cal players such as Powe and the Wilkes brothers would not have accepted their offers without Pasternack's recruiting?
DrDanger
Benson graduates as well as Bouchet and Ennis.
Or should I say, their eligibility is up.
BerkeleyBAT
DrDanger;842823340 said:

Benson graduates as well as Bouchet and Ennis.
Or should I say, their eligibility is up.

Seeing as how Boucher and Ennis are in their mid-thirties, I should hope so.
DrDanger
BerkeleyBAT;842823342 said:

Seeing as how Boucher and Ennis are in their mid-thirties, I should hope so.

Like I said.... their eligibility is up.
Not sure if they can read tho.
Shocky1
TexWoodyGiants;842823337 said:

I recall Midnight Madness back when Kately , who was still trying to get academically qualified, showed up for the game in sweats with the test scheduled for the next morning. Does Pasternack really believe that the Arizona players and Cal players such as Powe and the Wilkes brothers would not have accepted their offers without Pasternack's recruiting?

tex, this is just a factual listing of who's been successfully recruited by pasternack at both cal & arizona

and yeah some of the cal guys on those lists were stoned out dumb azzs back in the day too but that's not the point

berzerrkeley (always room for everyone & their diverse opinions)#
Shocky1
DrDanger;842823345 said:

Like I said.... their eligibility is up.
Not sure if they can read tho.

yeah well casey benson, tyler dorsey (and his dad), dillon brooks & a couple of the bigs are gone too & their eligibility isn't up, they will not earn college degrees not that criminal dana altman cares about reading books & **** like that...his players are disposable factory workers to him, when he's done with them, he's done with them

good news is that the medford truck stop is gonna have more uneducated applicants for those late nite supervisor shifts, gotta keep the lot lizards out of the bathrooms

business as usual in eugene, the oregon basketball organization (and their lethal corporate partner) is the high bidder on brandon mccoy...none of this will ever we reported in the white centric mainstream media which is focused upon non disruptive status quote news reporting that is in "good taste," the monster will never sell out (better to burn out than fade away)

i'm falling & i can't turn back

the heart of darkness (a corrupted young mind is a sad thing)#
First Page Last Page
Page 112 of 186

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.